Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    Philomel watched as one of her finest soldiers - a strong woman called Glenda, who had been steadily moving up through the ranks over time - set the two humans in motion. As a human herself Glenda was perhaps the best option for the two for them, for she understood their strengths and weaknesses best. When the older man got the move called 'the serpent uppercut' completely out of shape, Glenda was there for rush over and give him direct pointers.

From where she stood, at the edge of the fighting field and slowly packing around, Philomel allowed herself a good view of all of the soldiers and crew there. Twenty of them were more adept at bows, however she had required they still joined in today. The purpose of this task, over the next few days of her time, was to get them focused as one unit. Having Nevin and this Sketchy one here was merely an addition. A way of seeing what sort of friends that Stare the crow had. If they wished to practise and learn then this was currently the best place for them, as Glenda took them through the first day of simple stances and basic movements.

That one has no balance.

Philomel glanced over to find Veridian sitting crouched on the balstrade of the ship. She blinked and raised a brow. Which one? There's a few lacking in perfection.

His nose gestured to the side where the two new men were. One, the younger, was apparently trying all the movements but without a proper weapon in it hands. The faun saw he had a whip tucked into his belt, but it would only take a madman to attempt to use that in such a practise combat situation, when running though the most basic footwork. Instead, he had somehow got hold of a wooden practise piece. She grunted a choke of laughter.

"He's not balanced because the moves are made by me taking in to account the weight of an average weapon," she sighed. "Idiot Glenda, didn't she ..."

Rolling her eyes, Philomel pushed herself off from the wall. As she did she continued to watch the two humans, still taking in the measure of them. She found overall them to be determined, a confused expression but a willingness to just go with what they had - they had been, quite deliberately, thrown right in the deep end. It was often her idea of testing out the waters of any new fighter. It told her that they were very new, and so clearly their idea of needing combat training was real, but it also told them that they were so thirsty for education that they were trying their best to fulfill what Glenda, an experienced fighter, told them. They were far below the basic skill of any of the crew, however still they managed to grasp some of the more basic concepts and it generally told Philomel what she needed -

That she liked these people.

It took her a moment to duck into the armoury that was off the side of the deck and step out with a steel sword. The edges were dulled and a little tired, but with work they would become as good as new. Taking it she headed over, circling right the way around and complementing those warriors who were doing well, until she got to Sketch and Nevin. She had wanted to be impressed, and now she was impressed upon, and thus she came to stand right beside them. She held out the steel sword to Nevin, hilt first, blade carefully balanced over her forearms.

"Try this, Nevin, Alchemist," she said quietly. "At least for now, for practise." She eyed him, then the other, "When this session is done, Glenda will call a break. Come and see me at the front of the ship near the figure head."

And she offered them a single bow of the head before turning away. Off to go to Glenda and murmur with her about the next steps in the general training of everyone.

EXP: 61,139, Level: 10
    Level completed: 65%, EXP required for next Level: 3,861
    Level completed: 65%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,861

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Nevin was growing more and more exasperated with himself by the minute. He hadn't bothered getting himself a regular weapon - the whip he had designed was vicious enough to serve him well in place of a normal sword or something. He had hoped to get training in how to use a whip, but the woman in charge of the training time was having absolutely none of it.

"Look pretty boy. The captain says you learn just the same as the rest of the girls, so there's going to be none of your loud, showy, ineffective whip popping here. You'll learn to use a sword. Take this, and swing." She had grabbed up what looked like a half-rotted wooden sword and shoved it into his hands with a glare, daring him to challenge her on this. Instead, Nevin had gritted his teeth and gotten to work.

The motions were repetitive, which he could handle. The problem that he was encountering was that this piece of wood carved into the shape of a sword was horribly off balance to him - he had been working on exercises to strengthen his wrist and forearm to use his whip, and the motions that Glenda was having them practice were focused on upper arm strength. When he tried to get advice from her on what he was doing wrong, she had just glared at him and told him to keep swinging.

So he had just. kept. swinging. His arms were burning, but he was not going to let just a bit of pain keep him from the chance to actually learn to fight. So on he had gone, trying to maintain footing with something that felt wrong to use - when he heard the rather distinctive clop of hooves on wood. He paused a moment as Philomel came up to him and handed him a sword, and then told them to find her at the break.

A few testing swings after she had left, and Nevin could already tell a difference. That wooden sword had been in poor condition and poorly weighted, and this was... It felt better in the hand, that was for sure. Still not right for him, but considering he was beginning to doubt he would find anyone who could actually train him to fight with a whip, he would take what he could get. With a grim set to his lips, the Alchemist went back to swinging.
    - "We are born of the blood, made men by the blood, undone by the blood; Fear the old blood."

Nevin: Formal, thoughtful, nurturing, bearer of tropey tentacles.

"More threads! More! Threads for the Crimson Thread King!"
    A member of the NevCrew:
    Nevin: Thread count: please, don't try.
    Erik: Thread count: five or six. Maybe seven...
    Huntsman: seven. Maybe eight. Shhhhhhh.
    Telli' thread count: zero. I just can't get into writing the little hellion.
    Ronnel: Not even approved yet.

EXP: 5,071, Level: 3
    Level completed: 2%, EXP required for next Level: 3,929
    Level completed: 2%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,929

GP

Name
    Sketch
    "Good job Stringbean. That's right, Full Pace, move forward. Advance ye lump, faster. Good, now backwards, keep yer feet straight, mind yer terrain. Good, don't trip Beanpole, if ye trip, ye die. Good, yer making progress, Stretch, was it? Well, Stretch, yer catching on well, I figure ye and the redhead earned yerselves a break. G'on an' relax before we move on to exercises." Glenda, the instructor's name was Glenda he'd learned, had been tutoring Sketch on his footwork, and he'd caught on to the rather mobile fighting style that she'd been teaching him.

Sketch was feeling excited from the rush of the training, he'd felt like he was picking up the footwork quickly, and his body was naturally light so he was able to get speed behind the moves. He'd been working on these moves as Nevin worked on his moves with a wooden sword.

Nevin was looking just as tired as Sketch when the break was called, and he was happy to know that his friend was just as eager to learn as himself. The captain had given Nevin a metal sword as the training went on, and the lean storyteller wondered if Nevin would be able to even swing the heavy thing after all the training they'd already done.

Sketch walked over to the alchemist with a flask of water, and offered the drink to the redheaded scholar. "So Nevin, I see they have you working with a sword for now, before you work on whips eh? They seem to have us both on basics, I've been running footwork drills for some sort of fencing. I'm interested on what they'll teach me next." Sketch waited for the man to finish his water, and then nodded in the direction of the captain.

The pair made their way through the other sailors littering the deck, resting after their exertion. They stopped near the front of the ship, and made a quick attempt to straighten themselves up, and continued to the figurehead to see the captain and see what she'd wanted to discuss.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    Before her stretched the vast ocean, but for her it was not a border. Philomel van der Aart's power still stretched far to the corners of the world, covering seas and forests and hills. Even though many things had happened over time - there had been a war with the Crimson Hand - the assassin guild. Its leader, Philomel's old friend, and enemy, Lichensith Ulroke had ... Well. Shinsou van Osiris, one of her closest friends and a person she could have considered a relationship with, had all but gone missing, lost to her on the wind, but she had managed to go on. She had survived, the need for the Brotherhood of the Castigars as allies shrinking each day as made her women better fighters and led them into a new era with an heir and a princess ...

Your friends are here.

She looked back over her shoulder. Away from the wild sea that sloshed it's clear, salty waves over her mighty ship. Light streamed down and stabbed it in a thousand brilliant shards of brilliance but it did not quell it's energy. Very unlike the two exhausted men standing there, their untrained bodies shaking with the tension of a single morning's sword practice. Slowly her brows rose, comparing them to the steady frame of the fox who had alerted them to her, and was poised not ten metres from either group.

Let's call them my 'new' friends, darling, Philomel said as she pushed herself around, So many have gone.

Veridian let out a small huff, thinking of Shinsou Osiris and Madison Freebird, who they had not heard of much recently. Once very good friends to Philomel, now both gone. Now she had ... Well, the father of her daughter for one, and whatever new people the crow decided to throw at her.

The Matriarch started heading over, hand moving to rest on the hilt of her sword as she moved - it swinging marvellously. She eyed the bald man and the older man and watched the sweat drop from their foreheads, the strain of their chests. Blades were still clutched in hand, uneasily in the Nevin-kid's place, and it made Philomel smile. In her world, after all, sweat meant hard work. And hard work earned respect.

Gesturing to them she pointed over to the side of the ship, where the foremast here hid a large glory from view. A pile of blankets, a mound of cushions. A series of ornate bowls filled with food, and a dozen bottles of different drinks with goblets for each. Philomel indicated for both men to sit, still wordless - there was something about the situation that she felt didn't need words. Maybe because they looked starved of oxygen and forcing them to speak would be cruel. Thus she took her time to wait for them and sat down herself, even though she was fully clothed in her dragonhide and mythril armour (it made it somewhat easier that fauns never covered their legs in war). She lounged against the cushions as Veridian wandered over, his tail flicking a greeting to the two newcomers. The fox leapt and then landed on her lap, she began to pour wine.

And offer it to them, and actually get to know them.

And then begin.

"So, tell me more about yourselves, and precisely what you want from this. And how was Glenda at teaching you?"
    Last edited by Philomel; 11-01-2017 at 06:49 PM.

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Nevin's shoulders were burning, his arm on fire with exertion - but he kept a death grip on the sword. He absolutely refused to let it drop. Putting the blade down at this point would be giving up on what he had been trying to learn, admitting defeat to the woman who had called him a pretty boy, and he had no intentions whatsoever of letting her win this. So he kept swinging, long after his muscles gave up crying out for him to stop. When the call fro the break came, he took the water from Sketch and downed half of it in one swallow before closing his eyes and exhaling deeply. The Alchemist had no idea how it was that the other man wasn't in the least bit sore - he almost seemed bright and chipper as they walked towards the meeting spot to see Philomel. He frowned at the other man's question.

"Not precisely. It seems Glenda does not have a good opinion of my trying to learn to use whips in combat. I'll just do what I can, and take it as strength training exercises. And exercises in patience." He quieted down as they reached the front of the ship, where Philomel was standing, staring out at the sea. She gestured for them to follow, and Nevin shifted slightly before pacing along behind her, his footsteps stumbling slightly when he took in the rather luxurious resting area. The captain sat down, her fox curling into her lap, and she poured a glass of wine before placing the bottle down next to a couple other glasses. Cautiously, Nevin sat down across from her, laying the dull sword across his lap, hilt still near his hand as he poured a glass of wine for himself, though he didn't imagine he'd be drinking too much of it.

"I am, as I said before, an Alchemist by trade. Primarily located in the mining village of Stonevale, though I've closed it up for the time being as I further myself." He frowned and ran the finger of one hand around the rim of the glass, staring into the red liquid. "I am tired of being a liability, and needing to rely on others for my own well-keeping. I had hoped to learn to use a whip in combat, but the instructor...deems that I should learn a sword instead." He was not about to badmouth one of her crew in front of the Faun captain, that seemed like a recipe for being tossed overboard. He took a deep breath and drank a bit of the wine, closing his eyes to think as he waited for Sketch to speak.
    - "We are born of the blood, made men by the blood, undone by the blood; Fear the old blood."

A member of the NevCrew:

GP

Name
    Sketch
    Sketch took out his clay pipe and filled it with tobacco, lit it, and let the air fill with the smokey scent that allowed his body to relax. He looked at Nevin, he truely seemed exhausted. Sketch was a little sore, but he was used to walking, climbing and running as he traveled the countryside, so his legs were actually in good shape. He thought about the steel blade, and wondered how he'd fair if he'd practiced with it like Nevin did, and doubted he'd do as well by half.

He inhaled deeply of the tobacco, and spoke to the captain, "Captain, as I said before, I am Sketch, and I carry the honor of being a storyteller and I call myself "Speaker for the Grym," which are a race of sentient nightmares that take the forms of peoples fear. For some reason, I have no recollection of my past before a few years back, when I awoke naked in the woods covered in dirt. The only thing I had with me that gave any clues was a particular bruise around my neck which has yet to heal." Sketch loosened the tie around his neck and lowered the collar of his dress shirt to reveal a purple and green band running around his neck.

"I have no idea why I'm able to summon these monsters, but they come both when I call and when I dream. Sir Nevin here was responsible for me being able to gain any semblance of a sleep cycle by creating a sleeping potion for me. I'm determined to find what these creatures and I have in common, and why I seem to be the only person able to control them as I do. I've already had to face things that I could barely survive against, and if I'm to progress further along my chosen course, I need to learn how to fight. If I can't, I'm not going to survive for long." Sketch allowed the finality of the last statement reach its full gravity before he continued on.

"I will say that I've had a few run ins with danger though, giant wolves, bandits and even a small goblin raid on Stonevale, so please don't think me useless in a fight, my skills are just more suited to using the Grym to fight for me, which isn't always an option." Sketch let the smoke drift out of his mouth rather than blow, as to not offend the other two.

He sat back against his chair and drank water as he allowed his mind to get to its relaxed state. "Allow me to show you what I do, ma'am." He straightened up in his chair, shook his arms out a little, and spoke in his deep baritone, "Once upon a time, there was a race of tiny men, so strong that they could move mountains and shatter diamonds. They loved the Earth, and it loved them back, granting them riches untold." A dark mist began the roll across the floor, and the sky grew darker.

Rising out of the shadows, a small, muscular, bearded man with a comical nose walked out of the mist."This is Grumpy ma'am, he's a dwarf,
    and he's one of my more docile and friendly Grym. They don't always have to be terrifying, I think."
    Grumpy blinked for a second with his beady eyes, stomped on the floor lightly a few times, and let out a panicked yelp as he ran to a post that was in the room, gripped it and shivered.
    "My guess is, that being so connected to the Earth and all, being at sea, surrounded by water on all sides, he's afraid. Interesting, what do you think Nevin?"
    Sketch turned his head to the alchemist, who'd seen the dwarf once already.
    Last edited by The Crooked Knight; 11-01-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Legend

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    Without having discovered recently that much patience in herself Philomel listened to every word. As first Nevin, then at length, the man 'Sketch' spoke, she found herself enraptured in a world of beings that were otherwise unknown to her. Slowly her eyes shone, and her lips curled in the corners as they told them their lives, and their connection to Stare, because these new things were entirely brilliant and beautiful.

That was until Sketch decided to summon a fat, ugly dwarf on the gorgeous blankets that made their sitting area. A dwarf who looked sour, then shrieked and ran right for the mast. Holding it on for dear life the strange dwarf with the odd temperament began to shake.

Philomel's brows rose to the top of her head. Slowly she raised a hand and the gatherings of dust and dirt around them begin to shiver, tingle ... And then rice. Smoothly and practised, they swarmed together, dodging past head and heart at her command, not getting any bigger than flakes of dirt from their jackets. It was the sea after all. Instead the particles were all tiny and as she began to construct the statue before them.

Fweumph. And she had made a dwarf shaped ghostly shroud of lose dirt. A near copy of Grumpy, but unmoving. His eyes were dead, his essence was made of the scraps of earth that falls into the sides of boats, the minor ends of gumpowder and the clumps of dirt from landlubber's boots.

For a single second that had held - then it had slumped as the magic and the gravity that was no longer there so ...

"Not as impressive I know. But it's just part of what I do," she smiled. "Your ... Grym is very fine." She smiled at the dwarf for a moment and nodded to herself.

"Wonderfully fine. I can teach you how to fight with them if you like. Veridian and I fight as a pair, and I have other friends.,," Then she looked at Nevin. "And you want to know how to fight with a whip." She grinned.

"Though the complete practise in these simple steps is key, you can learn what you want. The simple steps you do with Glenda now are for footwork, for art, and for getting your body into shape. You learn them, you learn the base from which everything else is built."

"But after that ... I can help. Are you prepared to spend the time and effort that it will cost?" She sat up a little straighter, looking them directly in the eye, first Nevin and then Sketch. "Because it will not be easy."
    Last edited by Philomel; 11-02-2017 at 08:43 AM.

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    That thing, that blasted thing. There was no way, to Nevin's mind, that 'Grumpy' was not a fully functioning individual all on its own. Sketch had called the Grym 'sentient' before, but the Alchemist had presumed it was merely sapient, as some people could confuse the two terms. But no - watching the dwarf Grym cling to the mast for dear life, Nevin knew. He knew, that the Grym were not just nightmares. They were something else, something more, and Sketch was... What, calling them in? Inviting them over with his tales?

Consideration of the summoned beings was put on hold as Philomel spoke. She summation what they wanted to learn rather adriotly, and Nevin nodded at her words. Fighting with a whip was his goal indeed - the barbed weapon that was waiting for him would be devastating to those caught in its coils. Once it was made, that is. For now, the simple hide whip would let him practice using a whip without hurting himself.

And as for learning footwork and balance... The chunk of metal on his lap would suffice for now. And he had been called far worse things than 'pretty boy' before - though he didn't know why Glenda seemed to dislike him, but like Sketch. Maybe something about the other man appealed to the female pirate? He didn't particularly mind - Glenda was human, and Nevin preferred to keep his distance from those when he could outside of business.

"Lady van der Aart, I will tread this.
    Path as long as necessary to achieve my goals, no. Matter how arduous it might become. If I had been even a bit better, Av-Stare would have not had to fight as hard when we were escaping. While capable, she was injured, and I should have been more reliable than I was for her."
    Nevin's hand tightened around the hilt of the sword, hard enough that his gloves and the sword hilt creaked under the pressure.

A member of the NevCrew:

GP

Name
    Sketch
    Grumpy looked at the dirt that fell from the copy of himself, squeeled in delight, and ran to the small pile of dirt that had been created. He began to take the dirt in handfuls, and scoop it into his pockets. He then trudged over, slowly, to Sketch, gave him a crisp salute, and sat down.

Feeling better eh, little guy? Sketch thought to himself with a smile. He rose on his long legs, and gave a deep bow to the captain, he was utterly impressed by the ease that she used her magic. ”My lady, it would be an honor to study with you. I hope one day my skills can come close to those that you possess. I’m prepared to give everything I have to learn.”

He gave an equal bow to the golden eyed fox, not wanting to give unintentional offense. Sketch motioned to Grumpy, and the Dwarf took his queue to stand up and salute the two as well. Grumpy turned to Nevin, went over and gave the Alchemist a salute as well.

Sketch could tell by the look that he gave the dwarf, that Nevin had some reservations about it, and to be honest, Sketch wondered why the dwarf didn’t act like the cackling monsters that he typically summoned to fight. Sketch had given Grumpy quite a bit of leeway when first creating him, giving him senses and knowledge that Sketch himself didn’t possess.
    Allowing that, the freedom to fill in the gaps of his being so to speak, seemed to have created a more complete being.

The thoughts of the dwarf were quickly drowned out as Sketch contemplated the possibilities of fighting with his Grym more completely, and the thought excited him.

He moved over to Nevin, “Well Nevin, it seems we’re students together. Officially now, it’s good to be working along side you sir.” The Storyteller held his hand out for Nevin, thankful for the young man’s help in this journey.

Legend

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    A soft smile passed over Philomel's lips as she compared one man to the other. Truly, they were friends, and though that might cause problems were they ever to be pitted against one another in this training practise, it would serve them better for their futures. Good friends who were capable of fighting also were always better than none.

A breeze fell across where they sat and she leant forwards to pluck a grape from the bunch as she listened to the words of the soon to be warriors. Dropping it into her mouth she heard them promise that they would do what it takes to become capable. It was then that the glorious idea stuck into her head, of truly testing them once their time was done here.

The bows were sweet and polite, and nothing that Philomel was stranger to. She responded with curt nods and patience. Waiting until the men were completely done she continued to eat and drink, then moved onto her knees. Beside her Veridian stretched, long and tired, opening his maw and even tickling the air with a small burp of flame. Philomel waited until he too was ready, placing her hands on her lap.

Done? she asked when he was back on his haunches.

He looked at her, golden eyes gleaming. Indeed. Why did you need to wait for me?

Because you are part of this too.
    And with words of excited nature she told him of her plan. A way to find excitement amongst these likely long days of toil and sweat. Something for them all work towards against, filling them with readiness, satisfaction, wonder ...

With Veridian's consent Philomel faced back to the alchemist and storyteller.

"I am prepared to train you entirely. To give you the basics of a fighting ability that you yourselves will need to hone over the next few years, with constant practise. I cannot make you legendary warriors right away but I can give you the tools in order to begin you on that path."

She rolled back her shoulders and sat straight.

"Four days is what I am offering. Four days of tiring, grilling practise. The mornings are standard sessions with all, giving you skills on footwork, reflexive maneouvers and a general understanding of what happens on a battlefield. You will learn the basics of what we term the fox's dance - a series of exercises I made myself and which contain many various moves that you can use later in real fights. The afternoons will contain more personal tutoring, with me, or with others that you prefer, focusing on your own personal weapons, skills and magical abilities." She paused. "Apologies, Veridian and me will teach you, if you prefer us."

The fox purred and she nodded.

"Then after those four days you will be tested. In a way that I will not let you know yet but that will truly make you understand what you have learnt and see your own skill."

She looked from man to man.

"Is this acceptable?"