EXP required for next Level: 125

GP

Name
    Avin Painbringer
    Race
    Undead Kenku

I Am Living

I don't remember death.

Oh indeed, I remember the fear as we were hunted like animals through the wilds of the Unclaimed Lands. I remember being shot by arrows launched from a yumi bow. One plunged into my shoulder from behind and another pierced my thigh. My brother, I am sure he was my brother, narrowly missed a direct shot to his abdomen as he turned to see our foe.

I remember the pain as if it was clearly as yesterday. Of the chocobo bearing down on us and striking out with bladed claws. Of the agony as a katana blade ripped across my back, severing the muscles in twain and more. I remember the final look of distaste from the town guard who recognised us as 'those brats who let the enemy princess get away'.

He then stabbed first my brother through the heart, then tore my throat open.

But then that is all I remember. After that my memories are of nothing, not even a darkness. If I imagine them there is but a void, but I am sure there was nothing to see, know or feel. Instead it is as if I lay in a dreamless sleep, and then instantly awoke to the sound of a new voice.

No longer the cruel intentions of a town guard, telling me I deserved what I got for saving some unknown princess of an enemy I cannot, for the second life of me, remember. No, contradictorily the voice was soft, warm and inviting. Like honey wine it melted down my throat and whispered as a lullaby to my ear.

"Greetings," it soothed.

Greetings? A very odd thing to say, I started to consider - but then I thought about what it meant. About all the connotations of such a word, and reasons why it might be said. How it meant simply, 'hello,' but also, 'pleased to meet you,' and, 'welcome.'

Was I welcome? Welcome where? Welcome to whom?

"Open your eyes," the coo whispered, "And see the world again."

And my eyes flickered open. Again, from when they had closed to accept my fate and to not look at the pained expression of my brother. My dark-grey hooded, eager-eyed brother. Instead though they did not see him, but rather saw a pale face. Surrounded by short, snow white hair that was caught back by a grey headband at his temples. His eyes were bronze discs, luminescent in the natural but tainted light. He had smooth features, that were young as if he was just out of adolescence.

The lips, formed and masculine, began to move.

"Greetings," the voice hummed again. Warm, exotic ...

"Greetings," I whispered back.

At this creature ... This man before me. I realised then that I was on my back, the same way I had fallen to when I had breathed my last. But the pain, there was no pain anymore. Instead I was ... Alive. I could see. It was as if I had stepped from one life into another and I wasn't dead. Instead I was alive, my brother was no longer here but here was ...

"I am Vindrexis Quansaldo."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Avin; 11-16-2017 at 04:32 AM.

EXP: 1,875, Level: 1
    Level completed: 94%, EXP required for next Level: 125
    Level completed: 94%,

GP

Name
    Avin Painbringer
    Race
    Undead Kenku
    A smile came to that young face. Young and human looking.

"Can you tell me your name?"

I blinked as I thought. My name? I had a name, surely, everyone's mother gave them a name when they were fresh from her womb. As I thought it came to me, because it was my identity. That of my brother who had died beside me however ...

"Avin," I murmured.

The man sat back a little and I titled my head to see him more clearly. He was sat on his knees, hands curled on his lap. I noticed then that I was lying down, on top of a thin matress. Blinking, I began to frown with my eyes as he nodded slowly.

"Yes, you are Avin. And can you tell me what you last remember?"

A flash of the blood and agony stabbed my mind and I felt anger come into my eyes.

"I died," I stated simply.

Slowly the man, Vindrexis he said his name was, nodded.

"Indeed," he agreed. "You did die. And now you are alive."

The contradiction struck me then. I was definitely alive, I was sure of that. After all there was no nothing, but rather something. I could see, I could hear, I could gain a sense of spacial awareness. He was sitting a metre away from me on a floor of nonidentical stone tiles.

"How?" I whispered in astonishment, as slowly, I began to push myself up.

Taking in my surroundings now I saw I was in a vast stone room. Stone was the main material here, and it was not just the floor, but the walls too. Even the ceiling was stone - huge vast slabs of it were held up on sturdy rocky pillars. Two long rows of them were placed even down the room, making out its shape to be long. At one end of this room, near where I discovered I was, was a dais. On that dais sat a huge marble throne and on that throne sat another man.

He was very unlike the first. Instead of being pale and handsome he was fat and rugged. His skin was tanned, and his hair flaxen. Two profound, olive eyes started down at me, both them as his parted lips indicating utter astonishment.

"It worked ..." He was saying, slowly.

The white haired man heard him too. Twisting his head around he grunted a laugh at the enthroned man.

"Of course it did," he retorted - and in a condescending way, I thought. "Yours and my power together can conquer everything."

His and his power? Confused, mostly still about being alive I sat up slowly, leaning my body forwards ... And that was when I noticed it.

My beak. And my body. They were dressed in a light tunic but they were not black. Not in any way the destined tones of a blessed kenku. My claws, my plumage, my scales - they were all bleached. Horribly. Instead of the glorious sable that adorned all of us humanoid corvids, there was only grey. Light, almost ivory grey. From my beak, that I could see if I crossed my eyes, to my very claws.

"What have you done to me?" I murmured in utter horror.

GP

Name
    Avin Painbringer
    Race
    Undead Kenku
    The thin, spidery smile slid back across the gorgeous man's face.

"We made you anew," he spoke gently, "I healed your body and gave it life again, a life that Sabazios brought from ... Well."

"Death," said the fat man on the throne, his chest heaving up and down.

The thoughts in my head where too many. So many questions were building up, had been building up. Again I looked down at my body, eyes widening as I saw one more those bone-like tones. Weak tones, non-keknu tones. Those that spoke of a horrible past and a tainted future. A disgusted shiver ran down my back as I realised that although my feathers were still glossy, they were thing, whispy at points and my scales gritty.

I was ... An abomination. I was dead, and now had bern forced back to life into the same body. Or at least it had been mine. Once I recognised it, now I was horrified.

"I am not well," I hissed slowly, "I am ... Look at me!"

Vindrexis blinked slowly and he arched his chin. "I am looking at you, Avin," his voice was perfectly calm.

"Then how could you do what you did? How ... Why? I look ..."

"Magnificent?" he suddenly asked.

A gasp came to my throat. My eyes widened and I sat back to stare at him off the white hair. My hands uneasily curled before me, the pale claws clacking together with a hollow sound.

"I am a horror!" I insisted.

"No!" he shook his head, his eyes lighting up with insistance. "No, Avin you are not."

"You took my soul without asking and planted it-"

Suddenly, the mood changed. The white-haired man reached forwards and grasped a hand around mine. He leant forwards, amber eyes glowing with a brightness, and behind him the enthroned fat one gripped the arms of his chair tightly. I felt my heart stop - or my heart should have stopped. Just then I realised that I didn't actually feel it pounding ... At all.

Vindrexis bore down on me, intently staring and I felt myself becoming lost, enraptured into those glowing pits of intensity and power. I suddenly knew then that these two people were not of the kenku realm or world of power. They were, in fact, of something beyond simple humanoids. Who else could reach into the depths of death and drag a soul back to pin it to a restored body ...

"You're body suffered, but I did what I could, Avin. You have been given this chance at life again. You should be grateful."

Grateful? Grateful for ... Bringing me back? Was it possible that I should be? That I had to be? Was I even wanting to live another life?

"I-"

"Hush," Vindrexis said, shaking his head, a soft smile coming to his face. "Hush now, Avin."

And his warm tones washed over me like a wave of persuasion. In them I heard truth, realism, honesty and goodness. In his eyes I saw a sacred duty to do what was right, and in his hand I saw my hands; curled, pale ... But living.

Living. My dear kami, the man was right. He had given me a blessing.

He had given me a second chance.

A second passed, as I realised the comphrension of what this being had actually done. My inhibitions and uncertainties washed away under the steady gaze of his full, illuminous eyes.

My beak halves parted, then pressed back together. I had nothing to say. I was only lost in his power, their power, and their glory.

I knew they had to be gods.

And so there was only one question after that to ask.

"Why have you brought me back, my lords?" I whispered.

And a sigh passed through his lips. Slowly he let go of my hands, his eyes gleaming, and a steady look of satisfaction falling across his face. Steadily, Vindrexis Quansaldo nodded, and pulled his hands to clasp them once more.

"We have brought you back, Avin to serve a very special purpose," he replied. My non-existent heart did not pound, but I still felt an excited wriggle in my chest.

He had basically confirmed it. I was with gods.

"To serve us," Vindrexis stated.

And that was it.

That was all he said.

I waited for more, but that was it.

It was the fact, the truth, the reason and the why. There was no questioning of it, there was no other option. I was what I was, I had been called by those far higher than me, far higher than perhaps the kami, my people's guiding spirits. I knew other gods existed beyond the kami, and here was proof that they were interested in a simple kenku Ronin's life.

They wanted me. And I was entirely willing to serve.

That was how it all began.

GP

Name
    Avin Painbringer
    Race
    Undead Kenku
    Over the next few days I learnt what powers I had been given. What new things my new second life offered me.

First, and most blessed, Vindrexis insisted, was my immortality. The way he went about showing me how it worked was strange, but effective. As I was shown around the complex of buildings - which apparently was the other god Sabazios' temple - several people attacked me at once. Unexpecting it entirely I gasped as I fought against five long pikes with nothing but my bare hands.

Desperately I tried to sweep them away. I cried out to Vindrexis as he stood there, beyond the warriors. "Help me, my lord!" I screamed. And he just smiled.

My claws managed to snap the neck of one with a flash of pain, but the others were long and strong. Damascus steel struck into my abdomen, then a microsecond later, my shoulder. With horror I watched as they were pulled out, but did not bleed. Instead glistening sand poured from the wound, and agony screamed from where they had struck. I shrieked, and attempted to pull one of the spears from the attackers, curling my full band around it. I felt another stab of pain as my talons scraped down the edge of the wood, and another blade was shoved deep, right down into where my heart wasn't anymore.

I let out the loudest, most violent screech as the pain of death twisted into me. Throwing my head back I cursed the world in rapid, cawing kenku. As the and rushed faster and faster from me I felt my body becoming weak. My angled legs began to shake, my fists closed in on themselves. I then realised that I had not breathed all this time, but it was too late.

I was done.

Crumpling down into a heap, my energy expelled, I became nothing more than a doormat. Still in pain, but able to do nothing about it I lay motionless but writhed and gasped in my head. Entirely exhausted I was collapsed on the ground and left alone. Feet walked by my own eyes, dragging spears with them and leaving my body alone. I was helpless, lonely, and I should have been dead.

Except I wasn't. Because I already had been, and my soul was now tied to a ruined hulk of a body. Completely alive, but completely dead. For a very long time I lay there, alone and left. Eventually feet moved into my view again, wrapped in soft leather on the ground of dusty stones.

"Ah, my undead creation," he whispered, "Ah, Avin. How perfect you are."

He curled a hand around my chin and pulled it up. Dead, but aware, I gazed back helplessly into his eyes.

"Don't you see what I have given you?"

But I could not reply. My body could not move for it was as it should be in death. I could not take in the air to form words, and I could not even move my eyes to look away. They were stuck in one place, but still seeing as my body continued to run out of the fine sandy dust.

Which I knew then was essentially my new blood. A heart I did not need for my body had no blood anymore, but this dust that seemed to fill my veins was the substitute. It poured out like a stream of water, spilling onto the floor. I felt my strength at nothing, my pain at maximum, but all I could do was live through it, the one called Vindrexis gazing down at me.

"You are truly astounding."

GP

Name
    Avin Painbringer
    Race
    Undead Kenku
    It took a full day of me lying there in the dirt to recover. With some form of magic behind me, the healing process, which seemed as irritating and agonising as a normal one, was accelerated.

Within those hours of affliction and misery I managed to see more of the area. My eyes took in the details, even though they could not meet themselves.

I was in a great dusty, but hilly plain, with small patches of trees and grass. We were in such one, with an almost tropical feeling to the palms and nuts that hung low. A single river flowed over the plain, long and winding, that met each oasis. Though the set up did not make sense - I considered that surely there must have been more vegetation if the river was there - I came to like the place. Our own piece was between two low hills, and I did look through a series of branches, so it afforded a broken, lesser view. However, as it was my only restbite from my pain and death, I grew to appreciate it.

When I found I could turn my head I discovered the temple behind me. From its front it was a large, rectangular place, with pillars all the way around holding up the overhanging flat roof. Other smaller, wooden and brick buildings were cobbled in a form of a small village beside it. I imagined this was where my killers had come from. I also noticed that the frieze itself, and the pillars, were carved with either likenesses of Sabazios' face and body or icons of overflowing goblets, bunches of grapes or food.

Definitely this was his temple, which was of course intensified by the fact he had been sitting on the throne.

During my days I saw warriors training with their swords and with whispers of black magic that spun from their fingers. I lay in my new position whilst the rest of my body caught up with my head and trained. Within this time Sabazios himself came striding from his temple.

I saw him glance around. The mages and fighters stopped and immediately completely kowtowed, going right to their knees and planting their faces in the dirt. The fat god - at that point I still thought he was one - nodded briefly to them and then strode his way towards me.

I couldn't bow however, even though I knew now that was how it should be. What I should do before him, and possibly Vindrexis. I was stressed and I showed it in my eyes, and I tried to also replay an apology, but it was useless.

Because I could not show him the respect he deseved.

Slowly Sabazios shook his head, then bent himself down to my level. I was astounded that he gave me such an honour. Looking right into my eyes he balanced his bulky body on sandeled shoes, a crimson toga wrapped around him as seemingly the only cover.

"It is alright, young Avin," he said in a low, positive tone. "You are exempt from true worship. You serve not just me but also Quansaldo. A bow from the waist or taking a knee will be sufficient."

He paused. "I do not think Quansaldo explained everything, but that is the way he does things. Now you have learnt of your immortality I will let you know what we are." He took a long finger and pointed it at his own face.

"I am Sabazios, demon of excess. He is Vindrexis Quansaldo, half-god of the lone deity Ansaldo. Apparently his father rules his own planet alone, hence the power Quansaldo has." A small smile came to the ... Demon's face. Demon made sense, seeing as Vindrexis told me he had managed to get my soul from the underworld. That seemed more of a demon ability than a god's. Half god's.

"Quansaldo is an individually enlightened man. He has taught me much about how mortals are, and what they truly want from me. I used to bring them joy and happiness but he made me realise that they just came to me for drink and sex. That is not what I want to be as a creator and ruler. Therefore ..." He looked towards the village briefly where the warriors still were on the floor.

"Anyway. We made you, as a creation of both of us together. Your feathers are ... Unfortunately a side effect of the process, but at least you are whole. And immortal, that is Quansaldo's gift. It is likely you have a gift from me, and as my mages are so powerful I think you will benefit from the same sorts of magic."

I wanted to answer, but I could not. Therefore I had to let him go on.

"Yes, umm ..." The demon smiled weakly, then with more confidence. "Our plan for you is to be a vengeance, for those who have over the years used my blessings for their own gain. There are probably so many - because I did not realise what was going on until Quansaldo got here." He nodded to himself, as if he was trying to build confidence in his statements. "Yes. Those beasts who just wanted my attention for their own gain, not enjoying my gifts for what they just are." His tone grew more bitter and angry, "We have one main enemy - Quansaldo's brother, who is a main encourager of this sort of behaviour. Taking demons and gods for granted ... It is disgusting. It must be stopped. He must be stopped."
    Last edited by Philomel; 01-13-2018 at 03:35 PM.

GP

Name
    Avin Painbringer
    Race
    Undead Kenku
    When I was fully recovered - and it was in so little time I knew that Vindrexis had to be endorsing my healing process. He confessed as much to me as I staggered back to my feet and began the uncomfortable journey back towards the temple. A couple of the practising fighters paused, seeing my awkward get up, and watched me struggle. I did not look at them back, however.

Instead I breathed in deep and understood the inevitability of my situation. I was immortal, made so by the joint efforts of a half-god from another world, and a demon. Two beings that had intentions to destroy a third supernatural power. And I was apparently to be their weapon. My purpose was to fight for them, in a never ending struggle. Because I could. Because no matter what I could not die anymore.

Vindrexis had shown me the truth of my power, Sabazios had told me my orders. I did not know where I was. I did not know how much time had passed. I only knew now that I was undead, and I had a task given to me by my ... Creators.

With a heavy ... Chest (I did not have a heart, I had to remind myself. Or, at least, it did not work) I took myself up those wicked stone steps into the demon's temple. Huge wooden doors stood waiting open for me and I, with building strength, made my way through them. I saw the long room with the double set of pillars, and the throne at the end. Currently it was empty, but on the steps leading to the dais Sabazios and Vindrexis were standing, chatting quietly. As my footsteps made hollow sounds on the stonework they both looked around at me.

And they both smiled - Vindrexis broadly, Sabazios weakly. It was how they were, I supposed. I reasoned that because of all the pain Sabazios was going through with the revelations Vindrexis had brought, that he was a man of sorrows. Unashamedly I walked the long march over to them, my eyes only dropping at the last moment.

Only then, when I was three metres from my creators did I drop to my knee. The thin tunic that I wore tore more from the large holes the spears of my incapacitation had made, but I ignored it. My eyes fixed on the ground I gave the half-god and demon before me the respect that was due, that which I had seen the soldiers outside.

"My lords," I whispered.

And there was a slow intake of breath. Then they began.

"Do you understand the task given to you?" Vindrexis spoke quietly, filled with patience.

"I do," I replied. "You have brought me back from death to conquer your foe."

"Not just any foe," Vindrexis said, "My brother, who is the worst of men. He deems it necessary to trust mortals beyond their limits. He has done ill with the power given to him, he has misused his life. He is as bad as they who have misused my dear friend Sabazios here."

I was reminded by what Sabazios had said. At how his worshippers had actually been only wanting power all this time. Not the joy that his powers brought. My hands curled into fists as I replied.

GP

Name
    Avin Painbringer
    Race
    Undead Kenku
    "My lord ... If mortals can not be trusted, then why are there those outside who are allowed to remain here?"

It was Sabazios who answered my question. "They are those who have proven themselves loyal after all this time. Quansaldo conducted ... Tests to see if they were honest, and good men."

"And what about me?" I said as I realised. "Am I not just a mortal? How can I serve when I am one of those who has betrayed you?"

Vindrexis sighed and leant to lay a firm hand on the back of my head. I felt the touch like a father consoling his child.

"Mortals were born to serve. It is my understanding that in your life you were a soldier, is that not correct?"

I nodded slowly. I was sure of that fact at least.

"And so you were trained to follow orders. Besides, you are no longer mortal, you are our undead. You know where you stand."

I thought about where I was and who I was. My mind logically connected the dots and knew that these two beings were the ones I owed my existence and therefore my entire loyalty to.

Closing my eyes I slid to my second knee and bent my back further to the ground.

"You have done me a great honour. I am sorry for not seeing that before. I have been given a gift that some mortals will kill to achieve. I am yours, my lords."

The hand slowly removed from my head.

"Do you, Avin, swear fealty to me, your creator and master, Vindrexis Quansaldo?"

I took a moment before replying. "I do."

"And," said Sabazios. "Do you also to me, your master and creator, Sabazios."

"I do," I murmured.

And I felt a great inner peace. I had two supernatural powers to serve, I had a new life and a new purpose. I had a mission - to bring about the downfall of an evil man, who had strange thoughts of how mortals should be. Yes, something in the back of my mind was telling me that mortals should have a choice - but then I reasoned that before me were a half-god and a demon. They made me, they had to speak the truth. It was only natural that they knew the order of things. Would do.

Should do.

I was naive, I realised, coming from a people who knew so little about themselves. I had been subject to the words of the kami all my life - but who were they than just spirits? These were the real authorities, these were the real powers.

I was but a child, and they could show me the reality of the world.

"If I may ask, my lords," I looked back up to the individuals I now served, "How long was I in death?"

A pause, and Vindrexis looked right back at me. "Approximately five years and some months," he replied, "As far as my calculations can figure."

I nodded in thanks. "And may I ask where we are?"

Sabazios' large chest rose and fell. "My home. My central temple. The Tular Plains."

I blinked a few times, my eyes dropping to the hard stone floor. Of course. Tular Plains, the home of demons. Technically not a country, but baring the entrance to various hells and holding the worship places of many, many dark creatures.

Or lighter ones, of excess. Hence the volume of this demon, and the decor of wine goblets and food. I also imagined that there were more physical celebrations of excess also often.

Maybe not now though, with how serious things had become. Sabazios had been being betrayed by his followers this whole time after all. Those outside were likely the closest, most loyal who had proved themselves.

"Thank you my lord," I replied.

There was a collective short pause, then Vindrexis clicked his fingers. It grabbed my attention and I looked up, at the one who had arranged my murder outside.

But that had been to prove a point. To prove the extent of my new powers.

"Right. I want to teach you how to use your other main ability now that I can detect," Vindrexis said.

I furrowed my brow but looked ready and was willing.

"My lord?"

"Come," he gestured.

And I followed him outside.

GP

Name
    Avin Painbringer
    Race
    Undead Kenku
    The next two days were spent exploring the second of my main abilities.

This seemed to be a gift gained from Sabazios himself. After my immortality I did not imagine something could be as powerful, but I was duly shown my belief was based on falsehood. Vindrexis took me to where I had been 'killed' - we agreed then to call my deaths 'incapacitation' for that seemed a better description - and showed me the remains of the spear that I had cleaved in two.

Where my claws had touched the wood there was a strange dark colour to where it had snapped. As I looked closer I saw that in fact the wood had aged, and appeared weaker there, as if rot was setting in. Confused, I frowned as I stared at it, not remembering any sort of magic from that fight that could account for this. All I remembered was intense pain that had been caused and had rippled over my body when I had touched it. I had presumed that to be my wounds.

"You see," Vindrexis said, "Your hands ... Perhaps just your claws, caused this."

I shook my head in confusion. "My lord this is ... I only remember pain when this happened."

The half-god seemed thoughtful until he nodded. "It may be a side effect."

"I cannot have caused this," I refused the suggestion.

"Do you doubt me?" came the question.

And I stopped, alarmed. Of course I did not doubt him. He had created me and I had dedicated my existence to him. Of all people I knew he had to tell the truth, for what purpose had he to lie? He was the son of a true god, and had told me the truth of how mortals and deities were in relation. Something I had not known before, but had to be real.

"Never my lord," I said determinedly.

Vindrexis smiled, white teeth showing, and eyes gleaming. "Good," he replied. "I am pleased."

Which was a good thing. I lived (un-lived?) to please him now. I felt satisfaction come into my body and mind.

"So. You touched this, and it began to age."

Slowly I nodded, beginning to understand. "Yes, my lord."

"I want to experiment on other materials," he told me. "Alive vegetation, metals, even flesh. We will take it slowly, but I believe this will make you worth more to me."

Any opportunity to make his will so was now my goal. With him as my lord, my Shogun, my master, I felt the drive to want to please him. Thus I let him experiment.

GP

Name
    Avin Painbringer
    Race
    Undead Kenku
    These are things I discovered I can do.

I am immortal. That is, though I can be defeated through the loss of the dust that takes the place of blood in my system, and still be stabbed, poisoned, and decapitated, I will remain aware and come back when my body is fully healed.

My lord Vindrexis wanted to explore further, and I allowed this. He started with my hand. We found that after a certain amount of minutes that my hand and the rest of my body began to automatically walk back to one another. Once together I could pick up my hand and it reattached to the arm. This was whilst I suffered the natural pain.

Next was my entire leg, and that came back to me also. Then, without warning but entirely within his right, Vindrexis cut off my head. I went through severe agony as my unseeing torso stumbled around as my head rolled towards it. It was an experience I am sure I will never forget and will live through again.

My touch was also connected to decay and was concerned with any material, even flesh. It was centered to my claws. When I touch things they begin to rot, and skin death occurs on people. I found that only certain items are immune to my touch (hereafter known as Death Touch) - these are, Vindrexis and Sabazios as my lords, and everything I died with. This includes a pair of gloves, which is very good as I suffer pain also when I touch things. I cannot control the touch. It is a naturally occurring condition, that does not cease.

I have decided that it is a curse. Though Vindrexis considers it a blessing, and powerful at that. I currently can only endure a couple of seconds before the pain is too much and my natural instinct to let go occurs. But he has insisted that this will get easier.

We also have found I can sense death. It comes as a pungent, burning odour and includes everything from minor death on a body (e.g. necrosis) to the use of necromancy. Sabazios' mages use necromancy much. I do not mind as it has little to do with me and I am partly dead. Therefore when I go to the village I often have to endure a stink. It becomes a stale taste in my mouth.

I also do not need to eat or sleep. Instead I survived for three days alongside the god and the demon, aware and strong, before my body collapsed. Then I found I needed to rest, though for only a couple of hours. And it required me to sit there, in a calm state as my body recharged. In that time I figured I could feel the dust and sand in my body like energy. They were, I discovered, the physical manifestation of the magic that kept me alive.

Well. Not quite alive. More like ... Not dead. Undead was a good term. I liked it so I began using it.

Avin. The first undead kenku, who had little memory of his past life, but that he had had a brother, and was once a soldier.

And had died.

GP

Name
    Avin Painbringer
    Race
    Undead Kenku
    "I had this restored as best as I could."

A single, long yew staff was presented to me. On one end was situated a curved, sure, iron blade. The staff was perhaps four and a half feet long, the blade adding another foot and a half atop that. Leather wrapping and ingenious cutting methods bound the blade firmly into place, with more serving to add protection for hands. The whole item had been given a fresh varnish, making it shine with a bright, new life as brave as the new world I lived in.

It was my naginata, my spear upon which in life I had appeared enemies, useful both on foot and on the back of a proud chocobo. Eyes shining I stared at the piece of restored glory, my weapon once more useful to me.

Deeply I bowed as my hands curled around it - and no damage came to the thing, no pain resounded in my body either.

"Thank you my lord," I addressed Vindrexis.

The half-god inclined his head. "I would have you prepared for battle, Avin. Unfortunately we do not have time to restore the other weapons of your burial yet, but they will still be useful."

I glanced over to a bench near where we stood - at the side of the grand temple, in the shadow of the eaves. It happened to be that various small rooms were cleverly hidden behind the walls there, and one of them had been assigned to me. I did not mind the simplicity of it, after all I had no real reason for belongings anymore. All I was was a warrior now. It was my identity, my purpose as assigned. There was not even a bed, just a stool, a bench and a small chest. Upon the bench was a folded aging belt, with three weapons wrapped into it. A katana, a wakazashi, and a tanto - a matching set.

My swords from my life.

I bowed slowly to my master Vindrexis. He softly smiled and laid a hand on my shoulder.

"Avin, I have a task for you. Hence restoring at least one of your weapons."

My eyes drew up to meet his. "You have a mission for me my lord?" I asked, surprised. "Do you deem me ready?"

Vindrexis' hand on my shoulder squeezed. "Avin, you are as ready as you ever will be. I am satisfied that you are powerful enough to begin serving me."

Immediately I threw my gaze down. "My ... Lord?"

He paused. "You are loyal to me, are you not Avin?"

The words resounded around my head. Slowly I took in a shallow breath, despite my lungs no longer needing air. Simply, I did it for old instinct's sake, and the need to run it through my vocal cords to be able to eventually reply. Here I was, undead, standing before a being of legend. He and his comrade, an actual demon, had brought me back from death and beyond for one reason, to help them conquer their enemies.

Why they had chosen me was still uncertain. Vindrexis claimed it was because I was a warrior in my life time, and I knew this to be true. However, the plain reason did not seem all that clear to me - why had they traversed all the way to the Akashima border to find a corpse of a murdered and hunted kenku when any local military cemetery might have sufficed. Was I really that important that it needed to be me? It made me consider that there was some other motive, some truth about my life before this unlife that I could not remember but they knew and were not telling. I tried to reject the thought on the basis that they were essentially deities, though one was from hellish regions and the other could only claim half. They knew more than me, they had a better concept of destiny and truth than me. It was entirely possible and probable that I was chosen because they simply knew that I was the best to carry out their task.

I had laid down my fealty to them, and I knew I had to obey. For the rest of my existence, my unlife. Which was speculatively now forever, or until such a time as they deemed it right to release me. I was honour bound to serve, to carry out any task they deemed right for me to do so. From what they had told me I understood their moralities to be defined and in keeping with a certain understanding of the world. Gods and demons above and mortals below. It made sense, in a way, though it was one of many social orders I had been told of. Still, if that was how it was I had no place to argue. They had created me. They had the right to define the truth.

And I took it to be truth, despite my confusions. Thus, I nodded and saluted with my naginata.

"I am loyal, my lord," I replied.
    Last edited by Philomel; 11-18-2017 at 05:20 PM.