Level completed: 24%,
    EXP required for next Level: 9,179

GP

Name
    Vincent Cain
    Race
    Human (Tap Phantom)

Island in the Sun (closed to Ray)

The sun was rising over the gorgeous island of Aloxia, a little known landmass between Fallien and the Tular plains as the Irellian was pulling into sight of land. The calls of the crew were raucous and loud, and it brought a smile to the face of Vincent Cain as he gazed at the port through an ornate spyglass. It had been a long several months, and the scholar felt the need for a bit of a vacation of sorts. He’d been under a lot of stress, and so had his dear friend Rayleigh Ashton, so he’d devised a clever plan.

They were going on vacation, whether she knew it or not.

So far the plan had been simple. He had made up a fictitious artifact that he needed Ray’s help locating on the most tropical island in the land. Filled with white beaches, fruity drinks, and excellent food, it was the best place to look for something that didn’t exist. All he had to do was keep up the ruse long enough to help the mechanic unwind…

First Officer

EXP: 34,480, Level: 7
    Level completed: 94%, EXP required for next Level: 520
    Level completed: 94%,
    EXP required for next Level: 520

GP

Name
    Rayleigh Aston
    Race
    Human
    "A boat, Vincent?" She had to shout to be heard over the crashing waves and shouts of other sailors. The increased volume only magnified the pitiful moans that layered her words. If that were not enough to indicate that she was not feeling well, almost all of the color was drained from her face. The colors that did remain were dark and greenish, a bit like the water that sloshed below her. "It had to be a boat?"

"How else did you expect to get to an island?" Vince called back cheerfully, seemingly unaware of the state she was in. Or else, he was happy to go on enjoying himself, in hopes it might rub off on her.

Rayleigh tightened her hold on the sturdy wooden railing. "Oh, I don't know. Magic?"

Vince finally turned to her, expertly closing the spyglass with all the flair of a bearded, peg-legged, port-plundering pirate. That was, after all, the look he had intended in purchasing the item. "You hate magic," came the response.

"Not as much as I hate boats."

Althanian

EXP: 67,821, Level: 11
    Level completed: 24%, EXP required for next Level: 9,179

GP

Name
    Vincent Cain
    Race
    Human (Tap Phantom)
    "Touche" The scholar replied pantomiming writing something in the air. "Mental note. Ray hates boats. Use magic to travel instead." Shooting her a grin he stashed away his awesome spyglass, and his invisible pen. He turned and gave her back a comforting pat before leaning against the very railing she was clutching to for dear life. "We should be in the port within the hour though, so we're almost done! All we have to do afterwards is hit the beach!" He paused for a moment and glanced around.

"We need to blend in like tourists though, a lot of people come here just to relax. We need to find our goal without raising any suspicion..." He reached into thin air and pulled out a white straw hat, and darkened lenses. "I got these as part of your disguise, it'll help you blend in."

First Officer

GP

Name
    Rayleigh Aston
    Race
    Human
    The young woman blinked down at the hat and sunglasses that Vincent shoved toward her. The sunglasses, she was familiar with, as she had worn them before. But this particular pair was unnecessarily large, their black, plastic rims jutting far above and below the actual confines of her eyes. The floppy straw hat was even less practical, and she turned it over in her hands a few times before leveling a frank look at her companion. "These are goofy as hell, Vince," she informed him.

The man could not keep the grin from blossoming across his face. "Sure," he agreed easily, "but they are all the rage right now. It's what everyone is wearing."

Ray's expression twisted with mild disgust, her brow furrowing, her lips pursing. "I've never cared too much about what everyone else was wearing." She clutched the hat and sunglasses in one hand, and used the other to steady herself against the rail.

Obviously. But he bit the comment back, knowing better than to risk offending Rayleigh. She had a temper that was as wild and untamed as the ocean they crossed, and more than likely just as deadly. But the topic had been breached, and he knew that he would have no better opportunity than this to give her one more request.

"You look great," he began clumsily, attempting to smooth her over before taking the plunge.

It did not work. The mechanic's piercing jade eyes narrowed. "But?" she prompted, her tone skeptical.

"But," Vincent echoed, "I don't think those clothes are really going to help you fit in either."

Every line of the mousy woman's body grew rigid. The scholar winced. And there it is, he groaned inwardly. The temper.

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" Now she made no effort to hide the authoritative edge in her voice. For the moment, all thought of sea sickness was lost; she released the railing, and used her free hand to jab a finger against his sturdy chest.

His hands rose helplessly, but Vincent knew he could not back down. "Look around you," he urged gently, his cool voice working to quell some of her fire. When she finally paused to do so, tearing her gaze away from the taller man, she realized that he was right. Nearly every person who roamed the deck was in what Ray considered some state of undress. They wore pants that hardly hung to the knee, and tops that covered even less than the pants. One woman who lounged a short distance away wore what appeared to be a bedazzled lingerie set. It glimmered a blinding gold beneath the bright sunlight, and attracted Ray's attention straight to the woman's-

"Not that," Rayleigh stated, with staggering finality.

Vincent followed his partner's gaze, his jaw going a little slack at the sight. He glanced away quickly, agreeing, "no. Not that."

"Not something even close to that."

He dutifully shook his head. "Not even close."

Though she still eyed him, that seemed to relax Ray somewhat. "Fine," she conceded after a moment's hesitation. "But I pick it out. And you buy."

"I would expect nothing less." The small smile returned as Vincent turned back to look across the water's glass surface. The first hazy edges of the island's silhouette were appearing on the horizon. This was going to be fun.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Vincent Cain
    Race
    Human (Tap Phantom)
    Aloxia was entirely owned by a very prestigious trading guild that did work in almost every developed country in the world, including the famed golden port of Dehlos. It bowed to no king or country, and thus has its own laws. That being said, the land was something out of a storybook. The water and sky were the deepest, richest color of blue imaginable. Not a cloud was around to block the radiant rays of the sun, and the breeze was never more than a gentle kiss upon your skin. It was a literal paradise. The rains came courtesy of weather magicians, and on a timely manner every seventh day. As the ship drew closer, people began to prepare to land. Being a pleasure cruise, many passengers stood idly about as the actual sailors went about work. Many had drinks in their hands; some were busy chatting about what they were going to do when they arrived.

Vince chewed his lips for a moment, attempting to figure out how exactly broach this next step. Knowing Rayleigh, she was not going to be entirely pleased with this next bit of news. “Okay…” he paused. His companion turned to him, eyebrow raised.

“There’s more?” She asked slightly annoyed.

“It’s for the mission.” Vincent responded fidgeting slightly.

“That doesn’t seem very reassuring Vincent.”

“So it’s incredibly hard to get a room on the Island on the Sun,” The scholar started. “Usually it involves a whoooole lot of money.” He turned and leaned on the guard rail and fidgeted for a moment. “They also only allow certain clientele in as well…” He paused for a moment. “Normally you have to be rich, or famous, or both.” He drummed his hands on the rail and sighed. “So I got an invitation after killing Pode, but in order for me to get you here…” he trailed off.

“What did you do Vincent?” The mechanic asked growling.

“I maaaaay have told them that we were…” he paused and fidgeted his hands. “…married.”

“Excuse me?” Rayleigh asked turning to glare at the scholar. First the ridiculous outfit, now they were suddenly betrothed. “How does that help with the mission?” she snapped.

“I needed to get you on the island. I told them it was our honeymoon, so now it won’t look strange when we are going around surveilling everything.” He paused for a moment. “We’re looking for an artifact of utmost importance; we can’t possibly let it fall into the wrong hands.” He turned and looked at her. “Will you marry me for a few days so we can get this done?” The mechanic sighed for a moment and rubbed her temples.

“It’s for the mission?” She asked turning back to him.

“It’s for the mission.” Vincent replied nodding. The woman groaned as she turned back to Vincent.

“Fine,” she huffed “Any other issues I should know about?”

“Not that I’m aware.” Vince replied looking up to see that the boat was pulling into the port now. “But I suggest you go get your luggage…” he paused and then added with a smirk, “Dear.”

First Officer

GP

Name
    Rayleigh Aston
    Race
    Human
    "You're impossible," Ray muttered, before turning to collect her luggage from where they had left it against the ship's nearest exterior wall. The girl had packed light, as per usual. She might have packed a bit more, had Vincent not thrown a fit when she attempted to bring her tool bag. "What could you possibly need a hammer for?" he had asked her warily. When she had begun to rattle off a sizable list of reasons, the man had interjected, stating simply that they should probably limit their luggage to one bag per person. As such, the girl had scooped her belongings out of the half-packed suitcase, and crammed them into her worn leather sack, atop her precious tools. The look she had given him had been pure venom, just challenging him to deny her again. Vincent had surrendered, recognizing a deadly situation for what it was. Hell hath no fury, he had reminded himself as he had walked, nay, ran out of the room.

Vincent reflected on this as Rayleigh returned, her own bag slung over her shoulder, his nowhere in sight. She gave him a pointed look as she brushed by, and when he looked past her, he saw his sitting where he had left it. "So that's how it's going to be," he called after her, smiling despite herself.

The mechanic slowed, and when she turned back to him, she wore a grin that dazzled like the sequins on the gold bikini. "You should have asked me to grab your luggage too, dear."

An hour later, the pair moved through the crowded streets of the tropical island. The paradise was free of smog, considering the ban on all large machines. The air was also lacking the thud of engines backfiring, and the great whirr of technology at work. Despite her Alerian upbringing, and love of all things mechanical, Rayleigh found herself quite fond of the change. The clean breeze carried the aroma of salty waves, and the sound of cheerful reggae from somewhere nearby.

Vincent slowed, and motioned to a shopfront. It was stunning, covered nearly entirely by garments of varying shapes and styles. And the colors, so unlike the dull grays and browns she was accustomed too. She was still apprehensive, but the first traces of excitement lit her eyes, and warmed her cheeks as she gazed upon the outfits.

"The place is a bit touristy," the man informed her, seemingly oblivious to her mounting enthusiasm. "But it should still work alright for what we need."

"Only tourists wear outfits like this?" came her hesitant question. "What do the locals wear?"

She knew so little about the workings of the world. Vince fought back a sigh, and almost moved to explain, but quickly thought better of it. Flicking his wrist, he easily swept the question aside. "Oh, don't worry about it. I stashed a small bag of coins in your things. The island has its own currency, but because of how many people vacation here, they should take our coin as well."

Rayleigh nodded. "I won't be long," she assured him, but her fingers were already delicately tracing the thin fabric of a dress that hung in the doorway. She disappeared inside a moment later.

Content to let her browse, Vincent settled himself on a nearby bench. Though Ray could be a pain in the ass, there was something so pure about her. He, having seen most of Althanas, had nearly forgotten the beauty of simple discovery. When was the last time that he had been so enchanted by bright colors, or the feel of fabric? Briefly, he wondered if he ever had been. Perhaps that was what he liked about her. Or, rather, one of the many things.

True to her word, the woman emerged only fifteen minutes later. Gone were her familiar breeches, boots, and tunic. In their place, a dress of rich, vivid colors fell to her knees. It clung loosely to her body, billowing on the small breeze, as she moved toward him. As she drew nearer, he could make out the outline of a one-piece swimsuit beneath the sheer, floral fabric.

He was staring, and he knew it, but he found it difficult to draw his eyes away. It was not just that she was beautiful, though she was. It was that she was different. He had never seen her in such an outfit, or in the strappy sandals that wrapped their way around her ankles. The girl he had found on the streets of Ettermire had been rigid, distant, and unsure. The girl who slowed to a stop before him, shyly adjusting the large red flower tucked behind her ear, seemed to flow like the wind across the waves, bow like the leaves of the palm trees.

This place suits you. "I don't think I've ever seen you in floral," Vince commented, giving her an approving nod.

Ray shook her head, giving a short laugh, and answering, "I don't think I've ever worn it in my life. The owner of the shop picked it out for me."

"Remind me to thank her later." If his comment had confused his companion, Vincent gave her no time to ask. Instead, he extended his arm. "Let us find our hotel."

Althanian

GP

Name
    Vincent Cain
    Race
    Human (Tap Phantom)
    “Let us find our hotel.”

The humor of his statement was lost on his companion as she took his arm and they began to walk down the busy plaza. There was only one hotel, and you could see it from almost any point in the island. The building was large even by earthen standards. The near palatial quality of the massive sprawling hotel was staggering even from a distance. The whole “hotel” was roughly the size of Beinost, possibly larger. In the center a massive spire jutted into the sky, decked out in more gold than most countries could claim to have in their treasury. The compound was walled in by massive, beautifully crafted stucco walls that must have towered somewhere around thirty feet tall, while the main tower itself must have stood somewhere along a whopping seven hundred feet tall. The whole thing was equal parts beautiful, obnoxious, and expensive.

“Vince…” Ray muttered staring at the tower. “Is that…”

“Yup.” Vince replied grinning slightly.

“How much money did you-“

“Not a penny.” Vince replied grinning. “Apparently the owner of the resort had a son fighting in the Red Forest reclamation. Apparently he was in a unit I saved from a troll, and he came home singing the praise of the Podeslayer. So as thanks I was invited to spend a week here, which worked out perfectly because the next day I had a vision we would find an artifact here.” The scholar chuckled slightly as the mechanic gawked at the massive tower, only keeping along with him because she was literally attached at his arm. The whole experience had him on cloud nine, it seemed like he was messing things up with Rayleigh more often than not. If he wasn’t almost getting her killed, or pissing her off, he was causing undue emotional stress.

Sometimes he wondered if she’d be better off without him…

But he was greedy. She was one of his closest friends. She’d been one of his first friends on this strange world, aside from the Seraphim Ioder and the merchant Joseph. Yet for some reason he seemed to crave spending time with her. He wanted to impress her, even if it meant going to extremes. Given everything they’d gone through, he wanted nothing more than to make her happy. Yet as they walked through the crowded streets filled with happy people, her arm around his, he couldn’t help but feel…conflicted. He’d been honest about having to lie about her being his wife in order to get her here. But because of that here he was, walking arm in arm with her, like they were a newlywed couple. The sun was high in the sky, bathing everything in its warm glow as the two made their way to the hotel. Everything was perfect, he was perfectly content with her being right by his side.

But a lie is a lie, and it would eventually catch up to him.

Shaking his head, the scholar looked up at the sky, using his free hand to shield his eyes. “Because of how huge that tower is, I have no earthly idea how far away we are…” he muttered shaking his head. “Are you hungry? We could stop to get some food and replace some of whatever you lost over the side of the boat…?”

First Officer

GP

Name
    Rayleigh Aston
    Race
    Human
    Rayleigh looked like she may say something snarky, and for the briefest moment, she considered it. But when she looked at her companion, she saw no malice, good natured or otherwise, in those deep blue eyes. He merely smiled when he caught her looking at him, and she smiled back.

"I could stand to eat something," she answered, pressing the flat of her hand against her stomach. Now that the seasickness had subsided, she realized how hungry she was. And, if the scents that carried from nearby restaurants were any indication, the meal he offered her was a deal too good to pass up. Her gaze wandered across one restaurant in particular as they passed it, then jumped to another. "You know," she mused aloud, "all of these places have tables outside." They spilled into the wide street, large, sturdy tables and chairs that showed no indication of being easily moved. Alerar featured very few outdoor venues; Ettermire was an especially dangerous place to eat, considering the pollution. The handful of cafes that did provide outdoor seating brought the furniture in when the weather turned nasty. That did not appear to be the case here. Even the umbrellas that speckled the patios appeared to be crafted of thin fabric, better suited for protecting from sun than from rain. "What do they do when it storms?"

"It rarely does," came Vincent's answer. "Almost always sunny. Makes it the perfect place for tourists. Tourism is their main source of income."

"You know a lot about this place," Ray commented, turning for a restaurant with an open table.

Following close behind her, Vince said, "I spent a lot of time researching it." A pause, and then, "you know, for the mission."

If the brunette found anything odd in his response, she gave no indication as she dropped into the sturdy, wooden chair. The décor, she noted appreciatively, was comprised nearly entirely of natural pieces. Wooden totem poles held a thatched roof over an open bar, and tiny trees in brightly painted clay pots dotted the patio. "I've never been anywhere like this," she admitted suddenly, leaning forward in her chair to gently touch the floral arrangement that sat in the middle of the table. "Everything is so bright, and alive, and happy."

Althanian

GP

Name
    Vincent Cain
    Race
    Human (Tap Phantom)
    Vince paused for a moment as Ray spoke, chewing on his lower lips slightly as he drifted off into thought for a moment. “That’s kinda sad to think about isn’t it?” He asked cocking his head to the side slightly. A waitress walked by and set down two menu’s for them, carefully handwritten in gorgeous calligraphy, covered in some strange magic preservative…

Oh.

It took a moment for Vince to realize that each page of the delicately leather-bound tome had been simply “laminated” in some strange sort of wax, leaving a smooth clear film over them. He spent a moment idly tracing his fingers over the text, appreciating the subtle craftsmanship of something that seemed so commonplace back on earth. “What does?” Ray asked, lost in thought as she peered over the perfect text.

“That you’ve never been somewhere this alive.” Vincent mused as he flipped the page and glanced over each entrée. “Doesn’t that speak volumes to the condition of our homelands? I can’t imagine Raiaera being this way either.” He paused and glanced down at a particular order. Shredded chicken seasoned and served on a…tortilla. The scholar sucked in a surprised breath.

Tacos were apparently a local cuisine to this world.

“But I’m digressing.” He snapped his menu shut and looked up to the mechanic, smiling warmly as he did so. “It’s our honeymoon, no need to get all existential on you…dear.” He shot her a wink as his smile erupted into more of a playful grin. His eyes shot to another, smaller menu that neither of them had noticed before. He carefully scooped it up and began flipping through the beautiful cream colored pages. From first glance it was obviously a drink menu, filled will all sorts of fruity beverages and cocktails that would be a staple at a resort like this back on earth. He eyed the list of coconut and mango flavored drinks with slight amusement before setting it down. It was a tad too early to start drinking just yet, and he had a whole week to unwind.

“Have you decided what you want yet? I’m kinda eyeing the shredded chicken tacos to see how they stand up to what I make back at home.” He asked glancing around. He was suddenly aware of the sheer amount of couples that seemed to be in this venue, gathered around the bar, pressed against each other in some sort of way. His sapphire eyes darted from one couple playing footsie, to another holding hands, to another outright snogging just on the other side of the patio. The soft rhythm of some strange sort of band tucked away out of sight seemed to fill the air with an upbeat but festive sound. Vince took the atmosphere in for a moment, then another realization struck him.

That’s a fucking mariachi band…

First Officer

GP

Name
    Rayleigh Aston
    Race
    Human
    The girl gave a small shrug, still not glancing up from her menu. "I suppose people just prefer different things," she mused aloud. "Not everyone wants to live in a place as alive as this. Before my dad died, I had no reason, no desire, to leave Alerar." Finally, she let her gaze lift to Vincent's face, an expression of good humor on her own. "Now look at me, allowing you to drag me to all corners of Althanas."

"There was curiosity and concern when he asked, "are you complaining?"

When Rayleigh shook her head, her tangle of long brown hair fell across her shoulder, and nearly dislodged the red flower from its place behind her ear. "Hardly," she assured him, her hand reaching out to give his a gentle pat. "I wanted adventure, and that is what you've given me. What you're giving me now." She pulled herself away then, settling deeper into the chair with a heavy sigh of content. The sun warmed her, and the breeze smelled faintly of barbecue as it unsettled the flowers in the table's centerpiece. The beauty that surrounded her made it difficult to muster even a shred of annoyance at the reoccurring marriage quips. "In the spirt of adventure," she announced, "I will try your tacos. I will try them here, and when we get back to the House of Cards, you can make them for me again. I'll judge whose is better."

Vincent cocked an eyebrow, mostly in an attempt to hide his own pleasure at the thought. "You're assuming I'll cook for you whenever you want? What do you think I am now, your personal chef?"

"Fine," she shot back with an easy smile. "I'll cook for you then."

Vivid memories of shouts, screams, and smoke belching out of an oven returned to him, and he shuddered. Her previous attempt at pepperoni pizza had nearly smoked the entire Tarot Hierarchy from their underground home. "Y'know," he began, "that's alright. I'll do the cooking." Her grin of success was all the response he needed.

The pair passed a moment in companionable silence, both watching the band that played nearby. Rayleigh was delighted by the unique sounds, while Vincent remained more than a little put-off by how cliched it all was.

It was Ray who spoke first. "You know," she began, "your real home isn't Raiaera. It's Earth, isn't it?"

Vincent considered this for a moment, shrugged, then nodded. "I guess so. Or it used to be."

"And wasn't Earth pretty alive?" She closed her menu, but her fingers absent-mindedly traced the smooth edges. "At least, I imagine it was, based on everything you've told me."