Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,394

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    “Miss …?”

She peeked open an eye. Her body was normally functioning now, with a steady breath and a steady thundering heart. It had been a few hours perhaps since Vitruvion had left and Stare had been left to her own devices.

Which meant figuring out that her brother was some form of undead slave to Vitruvion's villainous half-brother and actually coming to terms with the fact she was never going to get older.

She spied Desian, nervously at the edge of the bed with a wicker basket in her hands. From the basket came a slight rise of steam as well as a good amount of succulent scents. Meat, there was definitely meat in there.

Desian looked honestly fearful for her life. Considering what she had done to her, the fact that she knew what sort of pain she could inflict, Stare was hardly surprised. There was a reason, after all, why Vitruvion had her currently strung up here. In some ways he should have blindfolded her as they were her most powerful weapons but that was perhaps too far. She would not have forgiven him for taking away her sight as he explained her new identity.

“I apologise for harming you earlier,” Stare sighed. “I did not know what was going on. I thought I was … well. I was supposed to be dead.”

Desian paused and blinked a few times. “He said you are … immortal now.”

Stare grunted, finding the truth of it shoved in her face oddly satisfying. It also let her know that Vitruvion was in no way planning on keeping that part of her a secret. It was not like the treaty with his godhood after all, or the shame that followed her with slavehood. Instead it was a bright, significant truth that he was proudly proclaiming. Now that she knew at least. She imagined what she might have done if he had told her before she actually experienced dying … how she might have reacted. Certainly she would have been very, very upset.

I also did not know how and if it would work, how you would return until you did suffer death, came a quiet, contemplative reply. I would not have been able to answer many questions you might have had.

Back in my head I see, she dryly commented.

I have always been in your head, my dear, he replied, showing an image of his minor smile. But sometimes I have other things that are of more importance.

“Miss Stare, shall I come back …”

Stare focused again on the room, and the young woman standing there. She rolled her eyes a little and tried to concentrate on what had been said before.

“It seems that way,” she responded to Desian with a small frown in her tone. “Wait, you were here when I was brought in yes?”

Desian paused and nodded awkwardly. “Yes … Sir Elssmith requested that I and Demer watch you. He brought you in himself.”

“And here is …”

“The - the Hollow, Miss,” she furrowed her brow slightly.

“Yes, that is obvious, but where in the Hollow?”

Desian paused. “Sir Elssmith's apartment. This is the room his sister stays in usually.”

Ventrua. So it explained the comfiness of the bed at least and the finery of the place. Stare blinked and glanced around the room, seeing a small chest and a couple of chairs she had not taken in seriously. It was some form of guest room for his friends, then.

“And how long was I …?” What was the right word? Out? Unconscious? Dead? Lost in that world of clouds and dreams and paradise.

“It took twenty four hours before you were breathing again, if that is what you mean.”

She spoke with more confidence this time, as if she trusted Stare more. Maybe it was the fact Stare hadn't attacked her yet. Again.

So a whole day. Stare grunted, taking the piece of information and storing it away safely. She ground her beak together, still irritated in the ugly fact that this was it now. This was her inevitable life. Even death was not a barrier to Vitruvion's say on her everyday being and doing. No matter what happened - balls above, not even Raevin would be with them forever. He would stop aging yes, maybe had already as he was a high elf, but he could still die of mortal wounds.

“Miss, are you hungry?”

Hungry? She had not even thought of that. Before she had been terribly thirsty, but that had already been sorted. Hunger on the other hand was another issue, and now she considered it she noticed that there was indeed a gnawing presence in her guts and stomach.

“Yes,” she agreed, “I am.” Then she looked at her feet again and let out a very dissatisfied growl. “I'm guessing you haven't been given permission to release me yet?”

“Not - not until Sir Elssmith has been to see you again, Miss,” she nervously replied. “He …”

“Is the be all on the authority of my life, yeah I know,” Stare sighed. And she arranged herself to the best that she could, moving her butt to support herself better, and finding it irreconcilably annoying that her ankles were chained that way. Then she looked at Desian. “How do you want to do this then?”

And what enshewed was ten minutes of negotiation, more motion than anything on how precisely one feeds a kenku. Then a further ten of steady eating, a sour look permanently in Stare's eyes, and morsel by morsel dropping off food into her beak. With the woman already afraid of her, Stare had to be careful not to make any sudden movements or snap her beak parts too loudly. Gulping down larger pieces in her instinctive, throwback manner was highly dangerous and took thirty seconds of apologising before Desian continued.

It was nearing the end of the meal when the wooden door opened and Vitruvion came striding back in, his cane under one arm.
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

Legend

EXP: 59,606, Level: 10
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next Level: 5,394

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    “Back so soon,” Stare grunted, eyeing him up.

He arched an eyebrow. “Wonderful to see your usual merry self back amongst us, my dear,” he said lightly.

Striding over to the far side of the room he used his spare hand to grasp a chair. Then, sweeping it off its legs in the most elegant manner possible he began to carry it back over to where Stare and Desian were. It reminded Stare of the times he used to do so back in her old room, in the Hollow. Of course then they had a very different relationship and new so little of each other. Now … now.

He planted down the chair and sat in it. Then, with no pause and no indication that that was what he was going to do he gestured for the basket of food. Desian handed it over without hesitation and he nodded at her.

“I will handle this now, Desian. You can go back to your normal duties. I thank you for the assistance.”

The kitchen cook eyed up Stare with caution before bowing to them both quickly. Then she twisted around and shot out the door before anyone could tell her to do otherwise.

There was a short, tight pause.

“Did you want to finish, Stare?”

Her eyes flickered back to him and this time she did show her irritation. In his hand was a fork and on the end of it a slightly warm hunk of pork.

“Desian said to wait for you to return before she had permission to release me. Now you are back here, I'd like you to hurry the fuck up and-”

“You're language is still volatile, your mood still unpredictable. My dear, I'm not letting you go until you completely understand what it is that our relationship is now.”

He looked entirely unamused. Stare still glared though.

“Well I'm pissed off that you didn't ask me.”

He dropped the fork into the basket and leant back. “You would have refused, no matter the negotiation. I know you that much, Stare.”

Shaking her head she looked away, fury fuming from every pore.

“Well? I speak the truth do I not?”

She locked her jaw.

“Well?” His voice sounded a little heated, and if there was one thing she knew about Vitruvion it was that he liked his direct questions to be answered.

“Yes,” she huffed, “But it is a dispicable act. You could have … hinted. Done it slowly. I don't know.”

She heard the sound of him putting the basket on the tiled floor.

“I have already confessed I acted out of pure selfishness. And I am proud of what I did, whether you like it or not,” he said, his words harsh but true. “It was the only way that I could, in the short time that I had, come up with. I had three days or so in which to sort it out. Any longer and you would have been incorrigible to deal with in the fact that I disappeared, and you missed out on the adventure with the ape-orcs.” He paused. “I did not lie, by the way, they are all gone.”
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    She grunted, but it was a noise filled with anger. Folding his arms across his chest he stared at her. “To change the subject your deductions about your brother's sudden re-existance make sense. To make an undead, which he clearly is by the sight of him, does require a knowledge of necromancy, and a demon like Sabazios would have access to such.”

Stare furrowed her brow for a moment. “Wait - did you need to use necromancy on me?”

Vitruvion blinked. “Well, no. You were already alive when the enchantment was woven, all that went into you is deity power. Mine and Galatirion’s.”

That was a relief - sort of. Stare was still in a foul mood though. “I'm still not happy with you. That and whatever brother dick face has my brother.”

“Clearly as a mockery,” Vitruvion nodded, “To spite you and I.” He paused for a moment, frowning. “He will be a problem. Undead are hard to end. I would even go as far to say he could be immortal too.”

The thought made Stare pause. Avin … immortal? Her lips parted and she gazed in wonder for a moment, dreaming of a life with her brother in eternity …

“Stare, your brother has faced death. That, and he clearly has no memory of you. That makes him very different to what you are. I would go as far to say we need to be highly worried about what powers he might have and the state of his sanity. He did have a dramatic killing spree.”

Her eyes twitched in annoyance as the dream was shattered. She sat there, brooding and irritated. Eventually Vitruvion sighed. “Do you have any more questions?”

“Would demonic magic end me?” she asked.

“I doubt it, and I honestly -” he paused. “You know, fuck it, I order you not to go looking for a way to end yourself. I forbid any research into it, any questions being asked to anyone who might know, any of that.” Her eyes glanced over to him and he looked right back at her, expression utterly serious. “I don't forbid you from much, Stare, but this is not something I want distracting you. Deal with this situation like you have others.”

Noticing him of her distaste of it, she clacked her tongue loudly a few times on the side of her beak. Honestly, he was cruel sometimes, and he knew he was. He also knew, however, that she had hardly any will in disobeying his orders, for she knew exactly what his potential was in terms of punishment.

“Any other questions?”

“I died. Does that end your ownership of me?” she asked, quickly and snappily.

“Actually, no,” Vitruvion answered. “As immortality is something that can exist, however rare, it can be taken into consideration for Hernsford cases. I talked with Rafael at length about it. We simply had to change some details, new certification will be made when he returns back to the city.”

Damn. So she still had that. Either way she could have seen Vitruvion spending huge amounts of money rebuying her every time she came back now. So she'd be stuck anyway.

“Anything else?”

“No,” she savagely answered. “Only when I can get out of here.”

Vitruvion was quiet for a moment. “Well, for that, another day looks to be needed to cool your temper. I will …” he took a moment and leant forwards to lay a finger on the manacle closest to him. She flinched a little, which he ignored.

“It will magically open in a further twenty four hours. Nothing else will open them until then. I have things to do, so I'll have someone else cater to your needs.” He looked right at her, “Stare, I know you hate me for this, and I apologise for the emotions you are going through, but this is it now. Eternity, with me. This sort of thing was always coming. You had to know.”

She refused to meet his eyes. So he sighed and stood. “Maester Rafael will be going today. I want to say goodbye to my friend, then I will see you back at the mansion. We have a few things to plan actually.”

She grunted, but said no more. He huffed, then stood. “I'll see you then.”

He paused, but still nothing from her. Only fury and hate. So he nodded and swept out the room, leaving her to it all. To her thoughts. To her dark musings. To her terrible mood.

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Twenty six hours later she woke up to find she had actually fallen asleep. Once again Desian had come in and unenthusiastically granted Stare food. No communication happened between the two women, just a few looks. Stare then was left to brood for some time, a length of time that she found herself reluctantly relaxing in, until she could fully comprehend what had happened to her. Yes, she was immortal, but she was also … well, immortal. Few ever got the chance to say they could live a thousand lives and suddenly Stare was faced with the reality that her life had only really just begun. Where would she be in fifty years - certainly not dead like she would be in an ordinary kenku's life. A hundred and she might not even be in Beinost. A thousand …?

Either way she was going to be beside Vitruvion. That he had made very, very clear.

Indeed, nothing had really changed. Her destiny was still tied to his, it was just longer now. Far, far longer and with no noticeable end. Entangled into his strange fate, balls - one day she might even see other planets.

She fell asleep thinking about the exotic fantastical adventures. Then, she awoke to find time had passed and the locks on the manacles had opened, releasing her as Vitruvion had ordered them too. For a while she just lay there, a sigh in her throat, gazing around the room and the only wish right now to get back to the mansion and mope there.

It sounded like a good idea, moping. Thus, after she had stared around the room long enough she swung herself out of the bed. Immediately her body groaned, creaking with aches and strains as it had been forced into an uncomfortable position for so long.

Inspecting her wrists, she found welts beneath the layer of feathers where the metal had chafed. It was not too bad, nowhere near what she had experienced before, but still painful. And it was the same for her ankles. Bending down was near agony and she found herself hobbling about the room for a while until her muscles remembered what positions they should actually lie in. Her cuff was still on of course, she doubted it would ever leave her wrist ever again, but that side of her existence she had gotten used to. It was actually useful having a deity present in your head sometimes, even when you didn't know he was watching and listening.

Groaning and stretching she got her body back to a workable form within a good few long minutes. Heading over to the small trunk she kicked it open and was satisfied to find her chainmail, helmet, weapons and two fine tunics within, along with some battered jewelry. It looked like Vitruvion had brought over a few things from the house of hers just in case. Grunting Stare turned away and looked around the room until she spotted an irregularity in the wall, and nodded with satisfaction. After all Ventrua’s room would have to have a bathroom, the woman was so elegant.

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Rolling back her shoulder she stepped in and had one of the best showers of her life. It got rid of a vast majority of remaining aches and and stiff joint agonies and made her feel a lot more in terms of satisfaction. Stare stood under the water until she could genuinely not bear the heat anymore, then stepped out to begin the very long process of towelling off. It was hard when one had feathers, and you had to be very careful.

Tap, tap, tap

The knock was quiet. Very quiet. In fact Stare would go as far to say it did not exist when it occured again.

Tap, tap, tap

She paused, frowning as she was mid-towel of her tail feathers, short and plucky as they were. Head tilting to the side she waited for a while, listening out as she slowly continued to dry herself.

And - Tap, tap, tap

She figured then it was coming from the front door of the room, not the bathroom. It was also a lot more chaotic this time, full of urgency, speed and -

Quickly, she moved, shoving the towel around her before opening the bathroom door. Hurrying to the trunk she began to rifle through it to find a tunic as the knocking got more repetitive.

“Hang on,” she shouted back to it. “I'm just out the shower. Just - hang on!”

It seemed to cause a pause. For there was no knocking as she dropped her towel to pull a fine, embroidered tunic over her head. Instead there was an oddly familiar voice, but one of a long time ago. A very long time ago.

“Ah - ah Miss Stare?”

It was young, human voice, full of a time when she had permanently lived here. Stare's beak parted in utter astonishment for the man she had not heard from or of in such a long time. Grabbing a belt from the trunk she began to tie it on as she looked to the door, genuine excitement running through her body.

“Come in!” she yelled, and the door opened.

In walked a blonde haired, green eyed young man. He was of medium height and build and had his hair swept back into a ponytail. He was dressed in simple clothing of a shirt and breeches, with knee high boots, and a leather jacket. By his side was a sword in a sheath, and his hand rested on it as if he expected danger at any moment.

“Balls above,” she found herself smiling in her eyes as she tied the last knot on her belt. “Zulon!”

The young man smiled slightly. Last time they had seen each other Stare had been taken from the Hollow to the mansion. That had been little over six months, and going from once being her personal guard tasked with keeping her in the Hollow to a genuine possible friend standing before her.

“Miss,” he said, with a small note of reverence in voice. “I … well I have a rather urgent matter and with Raevin gone you are the next most authority.”

Stare blinked, and paused a moment as the genuine impact of that hit her. Of course, Raevin was in Corone, guarding the Celestial Brewery against a threat and attack. And Vitruvion was apparently away. Frowning slightly she flicked some damp from her shoulder.

“Don't you have a sergeant or something? Someone under Raevin who-”

“It's a little more important than that, Miss,” Zulon said quickly.

Stare lost all her enthusiasm. Her eyes glanced at the bed where she had spent far too long and she sighed and gestured for him to go on as she twisted back to the trunk.

“Yes. Well,” he paused suddenly and she glanced back at him to see him glancing at the bed, with the manacles still hanging there.

She paused and lied right off. “Coming back to life is painful,” she excused. And it was easy to say, because in truth she had found it so, despite the fact that all that pain had been mental and emotional.

“I see,” he murmured. “Yes, Sir Elssmith revealed that you were immortal.”

The kenku went back to concentrating on finding her items. She grabbed her helmet and tied it onto her belt, as well as her dagger and gauntlet. Pausing, she decided against the chainmail for the time being and straightened, looking back at Zulon.

“You were saying what the issue was?”

The guard paused a moment, then nodded. “Ah yes, sorry Miss … Ma’am. The council is about to be in session and we have no idea where Sir Elssmith is.”

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Vitruvion. Whatever you are doing, please stop it and listen to me now. Pause. No answer. Vitruvion, it's actually urgent. She breathed faster, flexing and unflexing her fist. Meanwhile Zulon furrowed his brow at her, uncertain as to what to say or do. My lord, please!

Use that first next time and I may reply sooner, came the unamused reply. He showed her an image of his face, his eyes looking off away elsewhere. There was another figure, a sort of shadow that was close and Stare was vaguely aware of a conversation happening between the two.

Fine, then I am sorry, she said hurriedly and a little bitter, But there is a genuine problem currently. And she made it obvious in her mind. She showed flashes of the important sections of her and Zulon’s conversation, then images of her currently striding down the corridor, him in tow. She was heading for the mess hall of his personal guard, mainly to see if there was any possibility any of them had any ideas.

I know what the issue is perfectly, Vitruvion said calmly, But Rafael is determined to slow his departure. I have let him know I have a meeting to get to, but without being able to explain much of what it is he disbelieves it's importance.

Stare blinked for a moment, pausing in her step. Behind her Zulon sucked in his breath and came around to her front.

“Have you managed to contact him?” he was asking hurriedly. “What does he say?”

The kenku glanced at the human and shook her head before refocusing back into her mind.

Vitruvion they are gathering now. And a large part of the meeting is to talk about -

My banishment of Hugin, I know, the god murmured. But I will be there in an hour or so. This conversation is … important.

Stare grew aware that the one talking to Vitruvion right now - clearly Rafael - was doing so in excited, rushed tones. He was leaning forwards with an animated look on his face, and she could see the intent in his face. They were in a carriage heading … out of the city.

Vitruvion, so is this meeting. Zulon says that you are key to it. You asked for an early meeting, and to not show up would be -

Well I cannot order this carriage turn around. Either they wait for an hour … or … well. Ask Zulon. He pretended to listen to Rafael as he concentrated on her, nodding idely.

Stare groaned. Looking up, Zulon raised his brows. “... Anything?”

She shook her head hopelessly. “He's with Raf- a foreign noble who was visiting recently. They are in a meeting that is leading him outside of the city. He says they
    need to wait or …” she looked confused. “Or I should 'ask Zulon’.” She glanced at the human. “What does that mean?”

Zulon paused for a moment, then his eyes suddenly lit up. Lips parting in shock he stared at her for a few long seconds before he suddenly nodded.

“Of course,” and quickly he was gesturing at her, twisting to start walking away.

Her brow rose and she looked utterly lost but began to follow, her claws clicking as she did. “What is it Zulon?” she asked, her hand curling around the hilt of her dagger in instinct. “What idea - what did I remind you of.”

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    “A while back I used to be in general charge of the council meetings,” he confessed. “As in their organisation, the agenda, and so on. I stopped when I actually got reassigned to guarding you and then …” he looked briefly at her, and then waved his hand as she fixed a single, unamused eye at him. “Yes, well. Anyway, one tradition that stands is that if a brother cannot make a council meeting, then they can send a recognised representative in their place. Naturally, they have to know about the Hollow, how it runs, what the interests of their party are …”

All of a sudden Stare knew what was coming. Her eyes grew large with a mixture of disbelief and negativity, as if why - how could a person have the audacity to even suggest she was -

Raevin is in Corone, as you know. I am not able to be present, you are my most obvious choice. Start the meeting Stare, and I will continue from you when I arrive.

Start the … the council meeting, of the brotherhood of the Hollow. She herself had been to three in her life, and the first of those she had been trussed in ropes, shoved forwards as Vitruvion's prize. Now she was - what? His steward maybe for all things business, but down here? How dare he! How dare anyone suggest that she play the ultimate traitorous act and sit before those whom she knew the suffering of and speak about them and their lives as if she didn't care!

The ultimate hypocrite.

“Miss?”

“Zulon,” she said in the most serious tone. She stretched out a hand and touched his shoulder lightly. He frowned, and slowed, but did not completely stop.

“Zulon, I cannot do that,” her eyes were full of life and honesty. “I am a hypocrite to most of the women here, I am the traitor who they would all rather see die than stand before them representing something they hate. I am not capable of holding a meeting, chairing a meeting for things that I absolutely detest with all my being-”

“You're not doing it for yourself, or for them,” Zulon looked right back at her, with the same powerful look in his eyes. Knowing, understanding, entirely acknowledging. Did he … did he hate what he saw here also? Her heart beat fast as she furrowed her brow, longing to see if her suspicions were true … but he shook himself and straightened. “You are doing it for him.”

An intake of breath. And a swallow. She looked away, her heart racing. Him. She was doing this for Vitruvion, so he would not be shamed, not be made out to be a fool, not have his image tainted. And he was an incredibly proud man, image was part of many things to him - the way he was seen as a wise and generous employer, the way people knew him as powerful and mighty. What citizens of Beinost considered when they saw him walking down the street, what they supposed, what they murmured, what they said of him when he was not there. That, and many other related conditions were what drove him, encouraged him, made him who he was.

He was a terrible man, it was true, but so was he just, generous and well liked. Did she have a good opinion of him - yes she did. He had earned that opinion as the months had gone on and though she had no other options in her life for what direction to go in, she knew that he was at least decent. Not cruel, not malicious, he genuinely cared about the few who cared for him, and for her … well. What he felt for her was a mystery unto itself. What she did know was that she trusted in him, was ultimately loyal to him now. All of his efforts to keep her close were done so with reasonings of honesty and concern for her. One could read so many other things into what he had done but she knew they lay at the core of his understanding of it all, at least.

“Damn it,” she whispered. If you were honestly any other person, she growled at him.

A soft smile came to his lips as he looked out of the window, watching the approaching sea. I will take that as a compliment my dear. I entirely trust you to serve my interests and speak well.

You are just lucky I had a raving mad family to learn diplomacy with, she sighed as she looked to Zulon with a shrug, and a nod. The guard beamed, his eyes bright before he gestured.

“Stay here, I will get two more guards to escort you. I am guessing you don't need … stupid question.”

She raised her brow. Quickly he looked awkward before he pointed back down the long white hall to where the rooms belonging to Vitruvion … and Blaze and Sable were. The sudden glare gave him all the information he needed. It was common for brothers to bring a 'guest’ of their 'household’ with them, but that was definitely somewhere Stare would never stray to. Zulon briefly nodded to her, low and respectful, before he darted through a door. Sighing deeply Stare shook her head honestly not able to believe she was doing this.

Please never ever ask me to do this again, unless it is in dire need. I'm only doing this for Reign's sake.

Vitruvion inclined his head. Otherwise I would have postponed it yesterday or the day before if I thought this might happen.

Her eyes narrowed. You thought this might happen.

Hmm, he agreed grimly. But the situation being as it is, the truth of what Hugin has done cannot go unanswered for any longer.

She leant against the white wall and let out a soft sigh. If you were anyone else ...

She felt his chuckle and then heard a laugh as Rafael joined in, thinking it was something he had said.

No one else is your god.

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    “You have to be … Joking.”

Every single eye was on her.

Well, she had not expected anything else. There they were, eight brothers of the Hollow, excluding Hugin, his empty seat in the ten thrones a testament. They were arranged in a circle, with the largest chair currently unoccupied also. But one she was pausing at, taking a long, deep breath as she let her eyes scan the room.

Eight brothers. Many different races. Each lounged in their seats and had behind them two or three personal guards that ultimately fell under the command of Raevin. Before five of them was a girl of some description - each one bound in a different way and waring different amounts of clothing.

These eyes, those particular dark eyes, Stare tried to avoid as she dropped heavily into the chairman's seat and bore through the unending silence.

Then:

“You have to be … Joking.”

“Unfortunately Sir Vitruvion Elssmith is currently unavailable,” she addressed the men there, her heart pounding but her mission to not let it enter her voice. Behind her at least she had three of the best fighters, including Zulon who had all proclaimed their loyalty to her through this process. “He has asked me to step in as his representative for now, and of course offers his apologies. He will be here when he is able, and hopes to make part of the meeting.”

There was a short, unsteady silence. Then, one man, who was pale and clearly a demon - Stare didn't even need to look in the aura - with fire in his eyes and small quills on his head, fixed her with a small and certain smile.

“You are the same one, right? The girl who …”

Stare took in a quiet breath and brought her hands to cup them on her lap. This was just another business meeting, she tried to assure herself. Another difficult, vexing meeting that would once again test her abilities as a manager.

“A year ago I lived here, yes, Lord Tethion,” she replied to the demon, keeping her eye contact on him and her tone of voice steady. Oh yes, she knew about demons and in some way Tethion had always reminded her of Nosdyn, her friend. “Now I work as steward and representative for Sir Elssmith in managerial and other roles.”

The demon raised his brows and grinned, showing rows of pointed teeth. She pressed the sides of her beak together, biting back a snarky reply, trying to also ignore the absolute astounded glares of the chained woman at his feet.

“Can I answer any more questions?” she said, “Or may I formally open this meeting?”

There was a pause. Then an older man whom Stare was sure was called Gravelle leaned in, concern on his face. “How can we know that this is not a ploy? That you have not distracted your master with some harsh trick and mean to cause harm?”

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    “You can trust me, my lord Gravelle,” Zulon stepped forwards and came to stand by Stare's side. He held himself tall then, proud, with a strong back and even darker eyes than those that bore into him. “I can verify that Miss Stare stands and represents Sir Elssmith not just here. She is commonly to be found in the very streets of Beinost working in his name.”

He glanced to her and she nodded slightly back. Zulon smiled and continued. “And, my lord, it is not 'master,’ but 'employer.’”

Gravelle blinked with the correction. His lips parted and he looked around at his brothers. Stare saw his grip on a leash in his hands tighten and a look of discomfort cross the face of the girl there. She herself felt a degree of tension and she dug her own claws into her hands.

“If that is all, lord Gravelle, I would like to continue the formalities of this meeting.”

The older man curled his lip but said nothing more. Sitting back he caused the girl, who was frightfully young, to fall back against his legs. Stare forced her gaze away from that and looked up to Zulon to nod to him. ‘I have this,’ her gaze said. He gave her a soft smile before he stepped back.

Her eyes travelled around the room, seeing those she recognised, and those she thought she did. Some glared daggers at her, and others, like Tethion, were acting with more of a kindness.

Hugin, came the suggestion.

Yes, thank you, I was just getting to that.

He grunted, but continued to listen. She was dimly aware of him talking to Rafael in more intense tones as they looked out over the harbour they had got to. Stare swallowed a little and tried to ignore the knot that was forming in her stomach at even being here before she straightened, and finally was able to address the empty chair.

“Sir Elssmith called this meeting to inform and answer any questions that you have about the dismissal of Hugin from the Hollow,” she said quietly, her hands pressing tightly together. “As such there is now an empty seat at this council and-”

Nominations and suggestions for the replacement can be made in the usual ways.

She paused. Usual ways?

Just say it,
    he stressed.

And she repeated it to the waiting ears. “After the following has been discussed, of course.”

There was an ugly, painful pause. “You … can give us some idea as to why Hugin was banished? Even though you reportedly have been hidden away in a room for the past few days,” one dark skinned man was saying, leaning casually in his chair. He did not have a girl with him.

Stare tightened her jaw. Immediately though brows were being raised and looks thrown in her direction. The kenku's breath began to grow laborious as she was made to think about her recent days then, hidden away and going through one of the hardest times of her life. Finding out that Vitruvion had made her immortal.

“I can advise you what I have been advised,” Stare replied back to a man she was sure was called Sumi, or Summin or Sumum, or similar. “And Sir Elssmith can provide details if you wish to, but for any major details I will try to answer.” She paused. “Hugin was banished for-”

“Just what have you been doing the last couple of days, hmm?”

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Stare sucked in her breath and lifted her eyes to look right at her accuser. It was Gravelle again, apparent the man had some form of spite for her. The kenku looked at him a short while, then turned away.

“That has very little to do with Hugin, lord Gravelle,” she found herself saying quietly. “Instead it would be more prudent to focus on the issue at hand. Hugin has consistently insulted Vit - Sir Elssmith, time and time again. First it was mere comments that my employer could endure, then it was deeper insults. He has continually defied him, caused upset within the Hollow and now-”

“So you won't tell us what you were doing?”

“Oh for heaven's sake, Gravelle,” a new voice said. This one was young and merry and Stare recognised the brother as the human Frendir, the first other she had ever met. He smiled pleasantly at Stare before he went on. “Let the girl go on. Clearly Vitruvion trusts her enough to send her here in his steady, let her get on.”

Gravelle looked awfully taken aback, but he scowled deeply and fell silent. Moving back into his chair he forced his young 'guest’ to raise herself onto her knees to keep up with the length of leash she was given. Stare forced herself to look away, give a simple thank you nod at Frendir before going on. “Thank you, lord Frendir.” She fixed her roaming gaze back on, eyes dancing over the bothers one by one, in turn. “Hugin was insulting not only here but also in the city itself. You all know the story of Reign, and that she was still technically,” she paused, hating the words she was about to say, “a guest of Sir Elssmith's. However, Hugin had since had her in his apartment for …”

Two months.

“Two months, yes. Last week, though, things took a turn for the worse. I am sorry to say that Hugin murdered Reign, and thus made the greatest insult.”

There was a deadly silence.

“He killed a guest that,” her jaw tightened as she began to despise herself for her language, “Was not his. That is not his right, there was never a transference of ownership. Therefore, Hugin destroyed Sir Elssmith's property.”

Property. Ownership. Very words that should not describe the girls’ lives here … but in fact did describe hers very true and very well. The difference being though, Stare had been through the trial by fire and now was more willing to serve Vitruvion than she ever had been before. Yes, she had had very little choice in the matter, ever really, but there were many choices now these days that she made. For herself. In the very end, she had to admit she had a god as her patron now. Forever.

“Wait, Reign is dead?”

It was not a male voice this time … but rather a female one. All eyes glanced over to where a tall, mostly unbound woman, save for a collar around her neck, knelt by the feet of an older elf. Her eyes were huge, and full of pain, and if Stare had never seen her before and known of her relationship with her ‘host,’ she perhaps would have needed to publicly demand some form of punishment. Which would not have felt good in the slightest. As it was, this was the one woman who, aside from Stare, could speak in the proceedings and that was mainly as her ‘host,’ the elf who smiled behind her, had no way of communicating himself.