Mmm mmmm…...What to get… Eteri stood in front of the flower shop she passed almost daily en route to Nevin’s shop. Well, She guessed it was almost like her home. Eteri still didn’t quite consider the place her home. Despite the fact the Alchemist buying her her own special cup and chopsticks and even bed. Not that she ever used it. Regardless. She was in front of the flower shop for a reason. She wanted to get Nevin a present.

She knew to stay away from lillies. Nevin was very strict about that. No more accidents there but what about roses? Eteri thought about it, and she was pretty sure that that was the common thing to get someone you had feelings for. The whole concept wasn’t entirely new for her, but the one of exchanging gifts was.

“Excusing me!’ Eteri called out when she saw the old lady who ran the shop shuffle by the open door.

A rather thin and spindly woman who Eteri thought was going to turn into a spider half waddled-half walked out of the shop, aided by a little wooden stick. She used a shaky, wrinkly hand to push thin rimmed glasses up the bridge of her nose. Eteri watched with wide eyes as they seemed to almost get absorbed by the forehead wrinkles. The old lady used her spare hand to lean on the stand that housed the variety of flowers she had been looking at. ““What! What do ya want.” She waved it at me. “Go on! Git! Git!”

Eteri ducked as the old coot swung her walking stick at her “But I-” Again the cane was swung and Eteri had to duck out the way. “Wanna-” Another swing and a duck. “Buy some flowers please and thanking!” she finally managed to blurt out. Eteri shut her eyes tight and shielded her head as she waited for an assault that would never come. She opened one eye...then the other...

The old lady gave Eteri a suspicious stare. “Yer not gonna go eatin’ my flowers?”

I shook my head (with my fingers crossed behind my back) “N-no! Want buy. What buy someone special?”

“What? Speak up.”

She cupped her hands over her mouth. “WHAT BUY SOMEONE SPECIAL?”

The woman took two steps back, it was almost as though Eteri had pushed her. She shoved her glasses up her old wrinkly face and stared at the catgirl as though she was the one waving about the stick. “Girlie you don’t have to shout. Get these.” She bundled up a dozen red roses and shoved them into Eteri’s hands before holding out her open palm. “12 gold pieces.”

Wait… was that a lot? Eteri wasn’t so sure...Nevin had given her some money to spend on food and groceries...but that seemed like it was over half the allowance he had given. Still, Eteri figured this was a special present after all. She shuffled the flowers so they sat in one arm and shoved her hand in the coin purse at her side. One by one Eteri slowly handed her the coins before wandering off. She began to hum happily to herself. Feeling confident that she had done a good deed that day. Not only had she successfully spoken to someone, but she bought something. WIth MONEY! No stealing whatsoever!

She perked up again when she saw a familiar, tall figure standing by the fountain checking a small pocket watch. “Neviinnn!” Eteri called out as she broke into a run, squishing the flowers that she had paid dearly for. (quite literally, she paid too much for them)

“Look! The Look!” Eteri cried triumphantly as she handed them over to Nevin. A dozen squished roses, half the heads falling apart and trailing behind her...a series of petals.

“The happies for you!” Eteri said brightly as she tried to push them into his hands, n doing so mangling them even more as she broke a few stems. “Even paid! Did good?”