Nevin was fumbling. Basic motions that he had gone through countless times were now difficult, he dropped the vial twice more, only barely keeping it from shattering. When he went to cut up some of the herbs, he ended up slicing open the tip of one finger, but the only attention he paid to that was solidifying the blood and pulling it away the from the brew, so that it didn’t contaminate the burn salve. Finally, finally he managed to finish it, after singing his hand on the hot bowl as he just grabbed it directly, upending it into the vial so that he could bring it out. Then he came back, holding it carefully in trembling hands , and shoved it into the ice box, waiting until it cooled off. Then he carried it back to her, his heart clenching when he realized that she hadn’t moved, at all. I was such an idiot. With trembling fingers, he began applying it to her burns, choking back tears.

Eteri shut her eyes as he placed the cool salve against her skin, her stiff posture seemed to relax. “That feels nice.”

Nevin wasn’t sure what had happened. He broke the collar and the necklace right? So she should be fine. Right? From the conversations he overheard he knew they were imbued with a dark magic. Was that still messing with her head? He closed his eyes for a moment, wincing as he realized his bloody finger was drawing red lines across the burn salve on her skin, then opened them.

The connection between them was still faltering, the joining point not healed properly. Whatever had been done, she still was probably having trouble remembering him - the oily sheen was still there, but weaker. Damnation, he wished he had an actually effective power, his blood magic was useless here.

Finally, his fingers were smoothing the paste onto her tail, and he thought of something. She had been quiet, too quiet. He swallowed.

“Eteri, honey. I want you to tell me if anything hurts. It’s ok to feel pain, honey. I need to know if I missed anything.” The moment he said it was ok to feel pain her otherwise blank face contorted and tears started to brim her eyes.

“C-chest hurts...body hot ...burn...burn hurt…” she sobbed. Nevin’s eyes went wide and his gaze shot down. He was a fucking moron. He ripped her dress open, revealing the burnt, peeled parts of her skin.

“I-ok, honey. It’s okay to cry. I’m going to help you.” His voice was choked up as he began spreading more of the paste along her skin, over the swells and into the dips of her body. After - after the burn salve eased the pain, he would need to get a tonic that promotes healing. Or - or. Or, he could help her. He swallowed.

“Eteri, honey. I’m going to do something, that, since you don’t remember me - and please, honey, remember me - might be scary. But it’s to help you. I promise.” He waited only a moment before a thick thread, bright and red, gathered around his chest, and slipped forward, sliding into her skin. A wave of red rushed down it, and Nevin felt utterly drained as he forced his life force into Eteri. He wavered a bit, then did it again, pushing more into healing her. He - he needed to -
“Honey, I’m about to pass out.” His voice was strained. “When I do, I need you to wait until you’re feeling better, and bring blankets here. Don’t try to move me - just -just...just stay with me.” His voice broke, as he pushed a third pulse of life force into her. For a moment he stayed there, before slumping over, one hand clutching hers.