Part 2 of Black Wings and Blood Red Trees. Part 1 here.
Stare paused before looking right at Nevin. “So … I may have just got permission to come with you. If you'll let me.”

Nevin felt both of his eyebrows raise in shock at this. He knew that she had wanted to accompany him originally, but with how upset Vitruvion had been recently, and the plans of the Church of Sabazios and his brother to attack his holdings, Nevin had thought that she would be busy helping watch over and organize things, working to counter the plans they had uncovered. That Viturivion was letting her go…

“Well. I certainly won’t deny having your company would make this journey far more pleasant. Truth be told, if I went into the woods alone I would most likely end up spending far, far too much time there. At least, if you accompany me, there will be someone I trust to make sure I don’t get distracted and lost.” He let out a soft laugh. “So then, my friend. Shall we head off to these dark and dreary woods?”

Stare looked delighted. She nodded her head. “I'll need to just pack, but that will not take long. Shall I … meet you in a few out front?”

---

The Red Forest stood before then, thick dark trunks with crimson and scarlet leaves, as if autumn had come early. It was a carpet of uncomfortable familiarity to Stare, with the spread over the vast landscape reminding her of the last time. When she had last stood here, on this low hill, seeing the wood disappear towards the horizon. That had been a period of time when she had not been party to Vitruvion's world, but now she was a kenku, found by her god.

The pulsating deep blue stone slowly died of its luminosity, humming to a lesser, duller state. It had been given to her along with five others by Vitruvion just as they had left. Six - four light to move only slightly, one a little darker to move up to three miles, and one, this darkest one to do a simple, two part journey. To get both her and Nevin here and then back home.

Slowly she breathed, and slipped the marble back into the black leather pouch now tied to her belt. Teleportation stones, enchanted by Vitruvion. They would be so very useful in the direst circumstances.

Twisting around she looked to Nevin, wondering if he had ever teleported before. One moment they had been in front of the house, then next here. Miles away.

“You alright?” She asked him.

The teleportation had been disorienting, Nevin couldn't deny that. His body was adjusting to the fact that he was now somewhere else entirely, was still processing and reacting to the magic that had brought them here. He staggered slightly and squinted his eyes, taking a few deep breaths as he caught himself.