EXP: 2,105, Level: 2
    Level completed: 4%, EXP required for next Level: 2,895
    Level completed: 4%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,895

GP

Name
    Erik Dranglein

Dead Man Walking

I stretched my back out, my spine popping and resettling as I looked around. Camille was busy, and said she didn't know when she'd be free again, so I had decided to go wandering after promising to return. My path had taken me far, and at this point I was near an even larger city than the town I had been in with her. I had camped out last night, and was still near the fire I had slept next to. I didn't know what I wanted to do at this point - I didn't want to return just yet, I knew she wouldn't be back yet, and I didn't want to leave the continent to go to another.

As I was pondering this, I heard voices from nearby. I frowned - I was not exactly near the city, a decent way into the woods in fact, so I didn't think many people would be out here. Especially off the beaten trail like I was. I slowly stood up and walked over in the direction of the voices, light footsteps carrying my tall frame over to the trees. I blinked - well. Assassins were a thing here, I knew that now. Two men were dressed in dark clothes, standing above a body that had clearly fallen to their blades.

Annoying but it was too late for me to do anything about it. So I shrugged one shoulder and went to turn around to return to my campfire -

shlick oh, that was an annoying sound, and one I unfortunately recognized. Already knowing what I would see, I looked downwards to see feet of steel sticking out of my chest, right through my chest. Yep. There had been a third. I fell forward onto my face as my life’s blood leaked from my chest.

“You idiots! You left a fucking witness! No, fuck! You made a witness! This sap was camped not even thirty feet away!” Wow that was a lot of vitriol coming from one individual. The voice was androgynous, so I couldn't tell if it was a man or woman - and at this point, my sight had faded enough that everything was black, barely visible. Fan-fucking-tastic. Oh well. I'll be back shortly fuckers.

“Wait, the fuck? His body is -”

Yep, here again. This damn infinite field of darkness, cold and thick, that clung to me no matter where I went. I floated, weightless, in the middle of a vast nothingness - no light, no landmarks, no sense of direction. Just myself.

This was my personal hell. I despised it more than anything else, this empty abyss, but it was something I could never, ever, escape. Every time I died it wrapped around me once more, an infinite, hungry darkness that sought to claim me. And every time - fire. That was new. Normally the only flame in this dark abyss was mine, when I called it. I slowly started ‘drifting’ towards that fire, curious about it. Was there another Undead in this world?

Before I could reach though, blazing heat raced through me, ripping me from that dark abyss.

With a shuddering gasp I came awake, sitting up by the ember of my fire. Sweet Flame I despised coming back, it was always so damn jarring. I started to push my way to my feet, only to pause as three blades ringed my neck. Well, fuck.

“Right. Don't know what the hell you are. But you look like the corpse of the fucker I just killed. You're coming with us. Mistress will want to see this.” Alright. You fucking nitwits have no idea what you're threatening. Should have just killed me again and snagged me before I became conscious.

I threw myself to the side, at one of the two quiet people - they let out a cry of shock as the blade sank into the meat of my shoulder. I surged upwards, ripping the blade from his hand, and then spun around, driving the tip of the weapon into his own face. He dropped, and I tore the blade from my shoulder.

“You fucks just had to go and kill me didn't you. Don't worry, I'll just take your Humanity and Souls, you'll live on in me.” I snarled and charged forward, barreling into the two stunned figures. My stolen blade buried itself in the second silent figure, as the talker backed away, holding their blade up protectively. “ Ah ah ah, sorry fucker. You actually killed me.” I hurled my blade like a javelin, and he batted it aside - as my chime came up from my belt. Golden-yellow light crackled into life around my hand, and I hurled the bolt of lightning. The idiot tried to block, and his body shook as electricity coursed through him. Another bolt, and he collapsed, like a puppet with its strings cut.

Life flowed into me, rotted flesh becoming healthy and hale once more. I snorted and dropped my chime back onto my belt.

As they fell dead A woman approached, shapely curves scelera eyes...wild and untamed red hair that cascaded down to her waist. She wore loose fitting clothing, a black dress. I was sensing a theme here. It was covered by a leather jacket and leather gloves combo. Poking out from under the collar of her dress/shirt/whatever I noticed thin lines, like fractures that marked her skin. They covered her face too.

Her large and soft lips were pressed into an unimpressed line.

“Mind tellin’ me why the fuck you just killed my men?”

I blinked. Repeatedly. This chick was practically oozing Abyss. Darkness creeped through her, almost unchecked. A prime example of humanity, it seemed. Damn. She'd be a bountiful supply, I bet. I shook my head. No, no, I wasn't Hollow right now.

“Turnabout is fair play, the dumb fucks killed me so I returned the favor.” I folded my arms across my chest.

She tilted her head to the side as her eyes glanced over the scene before her. “I see…” She said in a calm voice. “And if I were to kill you now? Would you just…” She rolled her hand around in circles as she approached me. “Spring back to life?”

She was a tad short to be intimidating.

I raised an eyebrow, and nodded, hand dropping to my chime -

Then, without warning two large ethereal snakes sprung forth from her back. They were lit up in a crackling red energy that practically spat the dark abyss that was within her. Oh fucking great. Of course, I did actually find an Undead, and it's a fucking Abyss touched one. Just my luck.

“I’ll even throw in a freebie - just for curiosity sake.” She mused with a small smirk.

Then….

Well fuck me… those things reacted faster than I could. They shot through me like a knife through butter, snaking through my armor like it didn't exist. Fuck, magical. They bore through me and I could feel...and smell the burning of my insides. Then, the leaking toxins that coursed through every inch of my body.

Dying twice in the span of several minutes…

What was I, a fresh undead? Just out of my grave?

Black abyss swallowed be, once more, then released me, and I sat up, my skin rotted and pitted once more. Fuck, fuck fuck! I was already Hollow again! I snarled as I shot to my feet - that bitch was going to die, and I was going to take some of that delicious darkness into myself to get back what she took.

She was sitting by a tree, her skin exposed as she grinned saucily at me. Thick dark cracks ran across her skin, blackness welling up from inside of them but not quite leaking out. Sweet Flame she practically exuded Humanity!

“I did offer a free shot didn’t I?” Oh don't mine if I do bitch! I drew my sword and lunged forward, burying my blade to the hilt in her chest. Darkness burst forth around my sword, and I drank deep of the Abyss. It wasn't the same - of course it wasn't. But it was close enough, and so much of it. Her Soul flowed into me - then stopped, shuddering and reversed itself. Some stayed locked inside of me - but the rest shot back into her.

I slid my sword from between her ample curves with a bit of a squelch, then tapped the blood-stained tip against the side of my boot. If I was right about what her Soul returning to her meant…

There was a sudden drop in temperature, a flock of birds fleed the tree above where she lay. The tree itself began to rot and writhe. There was the sensaton of electric energy in the air then- a blinding flash followed by crackling energy. WHen it died down she was alive again.

I grunted. “Well, that was dramatic.”

Shattered heart and Soul

EXP: 76,735, Level: 11
    Level completed: 98%, EXP required for next Level: 265
    Level completed: 98%,
    EXP required for next Level: 265

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    Scarlet picked herself up and dusted herself off. Frowning she poked at the hole in the dress that she wore. Now that she was pregnant, and her breasts were getting bigger it was beginning to get harder to find anything that fit her well and in a way that hid the slight bump on her person. She could fix it, but it was still annoying nonetheless. “You coulda fuckin’ just tore my jugular and not ripped my clothes.” She muttered bitterly. He snorted.

“What was that thing you did?” Scarlet asked as she broached the gap between them. She pressed a finger hard in the middle of the brown haired man’s chest. “Did you just fuckin’ try to absorb me? Didn’t you hear? It’s polite to wine and dine a girl beforehand?”

“I killed you. Ate a bit of your Soul in the process. Tastes like a dark bitter chocolate, very filling.”

Did he just say….her soul tasted like chocolate? Scarlet furrowed her brows. Was that a compliment or an insult. “Before I became…*ahem* this corrupted I was told I tasted similar to ambrosia. Although, I suppose a tiny succubus has a warped sense o’ things.” Scarlet took a step back to get a better look at the man. He was tall, easily over six feet, and looked some kind of warrior priest. A light blue robe covered most of his body, obscuring the broad frame from sight, but when she had poked him she had felt metal underneath. On his his belt was a weird bell-covered cross, and a sheath for the sword still in his hand. Strapped to his left forearm was a small kite shield. Icy light blue eyes studied her, matching her gaze with one of his own.

Fuck...he was quite the sight, wasn’t he? She wasn’t sure if she was impressed slightly aroused, irritated or all of the above. Well, killing each other is a hell of a way to start an introduction.

“Scarlet.” She paused. “I am aware it’s a colour, cliche’d and ironic. That’s kinda the point. Now you.” She pointed at the man. “Have just killed two of my men granted, they were expendable but that’s an issue. You don’t look like a man who carries a lotta coin but it seems you may carry a bit o’ worth. What’s your deal beyond eating souls? Perchance we can work something out. Quite recently there has been a….ah….” Scarlet paused. “Cull in my organisation.”

Technically… it was still Lye’s but he had been so MIA of recent that most the men had defected (and were subsequently hunted down and killed) or had grown accustomed to calling Scarlet their new leader. Numbers were thin, numbers of members who could actually prove useful to her… were even thinner.

“Erik. I am - was, a Sage. Right now I fight, throw lightning, and heal.” His tone was clipped as he studied her.

“You have questions, or do you just like what you see?” Scarlet asked, catching his gaze. It was obvious he was warded. She supposed it was not everyday he came across someone who could up and revive themselves. Scarlet found it a little more common. There was her broken toy, Taka - of course...that was mostly the demon inside of him trying to keep its host alive. Then she was pretty sure Vincent had similar capabilities. Althanas was crawling with people like that. Unfortunately, most of them wanted her dead.

“I suppose yes to both. If I wasn't taken, you'd probably be my type. You're dripping Abyss, and it is rather intoxicating. But.” One shoulder shrugged. “I've not much to do in this world, so I suppose I could work with you from time to time if I'm not busy, Lady. Which I rarely am these days unless Camille needs me.” Another shrug.

“Camille?” Scarlet laughed. “That lil’ mutt werewolf? Damn…Master captured her and she was practically humping his leg. Come to think of it…” She paused as she tapped her chin. “I know of a vampire she also banged… she gets around...so she’s settled now? That’s news…” Scarlet grinned. “She likes being brushed riiight about here.” She pointed to the base of her spine.

Erik blinked, and shrugged. “I've lived for centuries. If you're trying to make me jealous, it won't work.” His voice was bland.

“No. Please. That’s a petty thing to do. If I want something I’ll be upfront. Mostly. You’re a looker I’ll give you that but I ain’t about to jump anybody. Frankly I think the lil pup is….endearing. Does what she wants. Never quite got her to cooperate with..what was it?” Scarlet tried to put a finger on the name of the ‘inner wolf’ inside of her.

“Nikita?” He tilted his head to the side.

“Yes. That.” Scarlet waved off the notion.

“I ain’t here to talk about your fuckbuddy...or lover or whatever...eons. Eh?” She narrowed her eyes. This was a bit of a gamble she could reveal more about herself to the man, but that could very well come back and bite her in the ass. She had far more enemies than she can count, and if he was romantically involved with the werewolf, mentioning that she had aided in Camilles capture probably wasn’t the wisest of moves.

Still..

Nothing lost, nothing gained.

“We have that in common.” Scarlet began. “Course, I got all those eons of memories locked away.” she tapped her head with a balled up fist. “Makes shit easier. I knew what I was who I was. I know I’ve lived countless lives, rebirthing from one body to the next - but I think I’m going to put an end to that this life. I got a lotta shit to do and all the time in the world to do it. So…. tell me Erik...what are you?”

The man turned and lit the fire before responding to her. He sat down, and gestured to a spot across the fire with his sword. Ignoring whether or not she actually sat, he started to speak as he pulled out a whetstone and began to strop his blade.

“Firstly, you're not the same as me, it seems. I do not get ‘reborn’. I, me, this very same body, mind and Soul, have persisted for eons. I've seen the rise and fall of my world over and over again, grand civilization rise and fall, and the desperate scraps of humanity clinging to life in the fall. I am, an Undead. So long as hate for the gods of my world burns within me I will never fall for good. And that hatred will never falter. I challenged them when they trapped my world in a cycle of death and rebirth, and I fought them every cycle thereafter, for longer than suns have burned.” He shrugged, examining the edge on his blade before deciding it was satisfactory. His blue eyes turned to the woman. “Then while I was recovering from being slain, they got tired of my rebellion and threw me here.”

“Never said we were the same, just somethin’ we had in common. Undead eh so you need to feed off souls to continue living? Or is that something you need to do only when you die?” Scarlet was formulating a plan, she wanted Erik. Needed him, what for yet she hadn’t quite worked that out but he was proving to be a useful asset. One that she wasn’t going to let slip through her fingers.

“I want you.” She stated matter-of-factly. “What for yet, I’m not sure. But you’ve proven yourself useful enough. You already owe me for killing two of my men. I think the exchange of information has been sufficient payment, but now - what would an undead man filled with hate want?”

Everyone had a price, everyone had a need a want… a desire to be filled and if it was mutually beneficial then ….who was she to complain?

GP

Name
    Erik Dranglein
    Two men, again? I looked to the side - ah, the man I'd first taken down was still alive, just quietly suffering. Hm. Not my concern, not now. He hadn't killed me, just been an accomplice. I turned my attention back to the red-haired beauty and shrugged.

“I only need Souls to regain a more human form. Otherwise, I resemble a rotted corpse after I have died. Doesn't really bother me, I've spent a lot of time looking like that. But operating in society, when necessary, tends to work better if people don't think I look like death warmed over.” I had to admit, I had been momentarily taken aback when she bluntly said she wanted me. Camille had already taken a place in my heart - we were still working out where that would go - but I had had other lovers before, even while married. Those had been fun. I shook my head - that was not what she had meant.

“And I do not want for much. I've gone through living for material things, living for solitude, living for hate. I mostly just desire… HmHmm. Companionship, perhaps? To not be so damn cold.” I shrugged. I didn't actually have a goal in this world that I was working for now. The gods I despised were not here, and I didn't know if this world was trapped in a false cycle like mine had been.

She frowned, but only for a moment before her dark eyes lit up. “Ah. Fine. Easy. You don’t like cold, my home base is in Salvar. Normally freezing. If you work with me I’ll grant you some enchantments that would help with that. Companionship? I ain’t much company. That rotted smell? That death lingering in the air? Yeh. That’s me.” I laughed, and then laughed harder.

“That's not the cold I'm talking about, Lady. I'm meaning the cold of being alone.” I rolled my shoulders. “And as for the smell of death. I literally did not notice. I smell like that roughly half the time, so I'm inured to it.”

She continued, without missing a beat, brushing off my comments. “Fine, fine. A hot pussy. Whatever. Bring Camille, so long as she doesn’t fuck with me I’ll leave her be and tell my men to do the same. I could quite possibly have the workings to get to your gods, but another time...another time….” she mused to herself. “Yeh..no...if I used that...I could almost guarantee it. I’d even help kill them…” She trailed off as she started to mutter to herself.

I froze. No. No, you did not want - I snarled.

“Do not. As much as I would love to get back at them - their world is DEAD. They rule over a world of ashes now. Their cycle lay broken. Do not give them a chance to come to this one.” I sucked in a deep, slow breath, then let it out. I had actually felt my heart beat at her words - a rare occurrence. “And as for the other - well.” I chuckled and shook my head, my eyes sliding across her form for a moment before I stood up. “Someone who lives a long time is decent enough companionship, even if I don't get her ‘hot pussy’ as you say.” I laughed and shook my head again. That would have been icing on a cake for someone who knew he would outlive anyone he might care about. And he already knew that Scarlet was a looker - and if she wanted to stay looking like this? No way I was going to complain. This world seemed to have a bounty of attractive, lethal women. It was fantastic. I scooped up my sword and placed it back in the sheath as I waited for her response.

“Well then.” She said, placing her hands on her hips. “You’re not as hard to please as I thought. I’ll tell ya what. I need decent people who can do tasks.” She pointed to the men, oops. Now the other guy was dead. Oh well. “You can handle yourself well enough. I run a shady business. People hate me, rather I would not be surprised if half of Althanas wants me dead. So if you do get involved. It’d be with that mess. I run a lil’ shit show known as the Crimson Hand. it used to be a powerful force, one o’ the big things you do not fuck with. But it’s in shambles. I am going to rebuild it from the ground up. I am going to throw my region, Salvar. Into utter chaos. I am going to obtain a sovereign nation, and I want to spread anarchy across this earth. I want to throw the nobles out on their asses, rip apart the churches and let people wallow in whatever sordid desires they so choose.”

I stared at her, then grinned and let out a loud laugh, throwing my head back. A fiery little wench, she was! So she had a cause, a goal Good. I dropped my head to her, still grinning. “Well. A grand old quest, one to spread the Abyss far and wide without the Gods mucking things up for humans? I suppose you might as well sign me up - I've no concern if people target you, or target me, I lived for countless years like that. Just give me a bit of that deliciousness from time to time.” I winked to her. I meant her Soul, of course. Though her body looked to be pretty delicious too. I'd have to see where Camille stood on this whole thing. “You're fiery. Good, good.”

Thaynes here. Most are called Thaynes and are very killable.” She paused. “Deliciousness? My soul right? It’s pretty much like a rechargeable energy source.” She shrugged. “Go nuts.”

“For now, yes your Soul. So the gods - the Thaynes? Hm. They're killable. Good.” A hungry smile curled my lips. “Humans don't need the gods in their affairs.”

She nodded in agreement, then offered me a coy smile. “My race is considered somewhat of a demi-god status. Suppose that means I shouldn’t meddle in their affairs, but this world is just as ashen as yours. It’s just masked better.”

She stood close to me again. “Now, how do you form contracts, or seal deals?” I'd not sealed a deal here, not a true one. I smiled tightly. A demi God? Then I suppose… Well. Just a little warning.

“With an exchange of souls, Lady.” I grinned and stepped into her, and latched my hands onto her shoulders so she couldn't get away. My lips hovered inches from hers, and I inhaled hungrily. Dark black flowed into my mouth as I consumed. Rich warm chocolate melted into my mouth.

I felt her fingers claw into my upper arms. Her very touch seared my skin. I drew back, licking whisps of shadowy darkness from my lips. A glance down showed that where she had touched my skin had reverted to Hollow - but with her Soul fresh in me, the damage healed rapidly.

She looked flushed and I could see that her nipples were tight and hard, pebbles through her shirt. Her hips rolled slightly as she recovered. Ohoho did she get off on that? How interesting. That normally hurt people - hence why I had done it instead of a more normal trade.

‘Scarlet’ as she called herself wiped her mouth. “I suppose… that is one way to form a contract.” She mused. “Is that how you treat all your clients? I’d imagine you’d leave a few breathless, in the dead kind of way.”

I laughed. “Normally no. But this world, you all don't treat Souls like I do. So I have to..improvise. And yours is so delicious and bountiful, like the rest of you, I just couldn't help myself.”

She arched a brow. “Careful. Camille may get jealous. I’d rather not have to put her down. Especially if you’re doting on her. Bad for business. Now. Do you have anything better to do right now? Are you free for the next….few days?”

“I should leave a note for Camille so she knows I haven't gone missing, but not really. I'm not actually sure where she is at the moment.” I shrugged my shoulder.

She looked as though she wanted to say something about me leaving a note. Instead. Scarlet smirked. “Boy she got you whipped good. Do what you need to do. Gather whatever you need in town. We’re heading to Salvar.”

I snorted. Somehow, I didn't think leaving a message so Camille didn't think I'd abandoned her was a bad idea, or me being ‘whipped’. I'd just need to scribe it and leave it with the innkeep she preferred. I picked up the heavy bow that I used - or rather, right now, the seven foot tall staff that was my bow when unstrung. The quiver full of javelin sized arrows was swung onto my back, and I chuckled at her.

“I used to hunt, and hunt with, dragons. A normal bow doesn't quite cut it.” With that, I began the long walk back to Stonevale to leave the message for Camille. Not my fault if she thought I meant Radasanth, but I was not just going to wander to what I presumed was another country without letting my lover know.

Shattered heart and Soul

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    It had been a day and a half.

A day and a fuckin’ half. Scarlet had other business to attend to in Radasanth, she had to tie up a few lose ends with the red headed Alchemist Nevin. Then she had to procure shipments to the compound, and as the noble heir to the L’olfsden estate she had to attend several meetings in regards to the current standings of Salvar. All in all, it had been a very irritating time and to have her new associate snub her off was icing on the cake.

He said he was with Camille. Scarlet could only guess he got caught up fucking her senseless and loss track of time, sense, and reasoning. She wrote him off as MIS (Missing in Sex) and was preparing to leave for Salvar without him.

“That’s everything miss. Anything else I can do for you?”

The young man gave Scarlet a wide smile barely hiding how uneasy he must have felt dealing with her. “No.” Scarlet responded. He gave a relieved sigh and ran a hand through his black hair. “Just be careful out there.” He said as he gave the brown horse a pat on its hide. She had a feeling he was talking to the horse, and not to her. He quickly scampered off, back to the stables.

The horse whinnied and took a few steps back and away from Scarlet as she took hold of its reign. Animals didn’t like her. She had planned on using Erik to man the horse whilst she sat in the back of the cart to avoid spooking the creature too much. Oh well.

“Shut it.” She hissed at the creature. “I don’t like this any more than you do.” She muttered as she clambered onto the front of the cart and gripped the reins tightly. From here, it’d be a two day trip back into Salvar - and three days to get to the Seventh Sanctum. She pulled on the reigns hard and the horse broke into a trot on the path out of Radasanth.

And that's when she saw him, looking a fair bit irritated himself. The reason for it probably had to do with the severed head of an overly large beetle-creature, that was currently attached to his leg by large pincers that had clamped onto his flesh. Erik's sword was drenched in ichor - and the body of the beetle thing was laying a short distance away. Erik’s voice drifted over to her as he was shouting, his empty hand curled into a fist as he punched the top of the head that was buried in his flesh.

“Will you let go you Abyss taken bug? I have a meeting to make and by the sweet Flame if she has already left I am going to come back and exterminate your entire damn nest!” The severed head did not seem particularly inclined to releasing him - being dead likely had something to do with that. The man let out a loud snarl and tried to pry the pincers open - but to no avail, they wouldn't budge.

Scarlet slowed the horse to a halt. She saw him let out a loud cry of anger - and shove his sword into his own flesh, hacking away the parts that the beetle had clamped onto. Thick, sludge-like blood flowed from the wound as he kicked the head away, watching with a snarl as it hurtled into the trees. He let out a snort and slammed his sword into its sheath, and removed the bell covered object on his belt. Instead of lightning springing to life around his hand, this time a warm golden light began swirling around him, motes drifting in the air.

They rushed into the ground and a pattern formed on the surface for a moment, before a bright light surrounded him, obscuring him from sight for a short time. When the light faded his injury was gone - but the twist of irritation on his features was still apparent.

“Well…” She said, clearing her throat so he’d finally notice her presence. “That was a tad dramatic, don’t you think?” She had heard him mutter those very words before to her in a situation not to dissimilar to this. It felt good to throw them back into his face.

Erik blinked and twisted to look at her - and saw that she was on her horse. He looked at the decapitated body and shrugged slightly. “It slowed me down. Not my fault its nest was on the straight line between Stonevale and here. And I don't like having something chew on me like that. Entirely unpleasant little bastard. So! How are we handling this trip? How far is this Salvar?” As he spoke he had walked over to her, and one large hand rested on the side of the horse’s neck. He began stroking it gently, and the horse settled a bit.

“We?” Scarlet scoffed, he was so arrogant. “I was just about to leave without you. I would have, if I didn’t have other business to attend to. Fuckin’ Stonevale? Woulda been nice to mention that. Still-” Scarlet stood and stepped over into the back of the cart. “You can handle the stupid animal. My presence spooks ‘em.”

Scarlet pointed down the long cobblestone road which disappeared over the horizon. “About three days travel. I ain’t waitin’ anymore so if you can’t deal with the cold yer gonna have to suck it up.” Erik let out a loud snort and mounted the horse, sitting astride it with a familiar ease. He seemed like he was missing something for a moment, one hand grasping beside him before he shook his head sharply.

“I told you I would be a bit. But let's go.” He kicked the horse gently, the stirrups colliding with it sides. The animal let out a whinny, and began cantering down the road, pulling the carriage behind it.

“It’s pretty fuckin’ vague and I ain’t a patient woman. I thought you were just leaving a note? What? She was there?” He gave her no immediate answer so Scarlet continued to pry as she settled herself comfortably between two sacks of potatoes. Well, as comfortable as she could make it. “You don’t have ta be shy. I don’t give a fuck if you got a lover or whatever - but if she gonna be a problem I don’t want to deal with some lovers jealousy.”

He snorted. “She doesn't like me working with you, but she's fine for now. Some fearful restrictions, nothing that will interfere with me working for you.” He rolled his shoulders.

“Restrictions?” Scarlet asked incredulously. This man was whipped. Had she given him a list of do’s and don’ts that involve physical activity? No kissing, no hugging? No fucking?” Scarlet scoffed to herself as she stared at the man’s back. She wasn’t interested in shit like that. It caused problems. She didn’t need it. She didn’t need intimacy. She didn’t need the warmth of another.

Unlike Erik; she was better off alone and cold.

“No sharing a bed, no unnecessary physical contact.” He shrugged again, casting one icy blue eye back in her direction. “And I told her if we do touch it'll probably involve the consumption of your soul. Like I said, nothing that will prevent me from working with you.” He flicked the reins gently.

“Boy, needy lil’ one ain’t she? She’s one to talk.” Scarlet went on to say more but stopped, sighed and rubbed her head. She didn’t need to continue to spit vitterol about the man’s lover. It was inane and pointless. He could do whatever he wanted. He could stay with her till she was old and haggard and he was still young. That was his prerogative.

“She's happy and I am too. In time it will likely pass, and she may grow tired of me. I'll endure, as I do with everything.”

“Happy, huh?” Scarlet said as she leaned further back into the sack of potatoes. She tilted her head up to the sky. What the hell was that emotion again? She had memories, albeit small, of being content...even fewer of being actually happy - but those were tainted with a bitter hatred. He said it himself, it’d be a fleeting thing. So why bother in the first place?

“Yes, happy. Warmth and comfort, knowing someone is there for you.”

“No one is truly there for you. It’s lies, its weakness. It’s a hopeless dream for the weak.” The conversation died down and Scarlet wasn’t one to try and push for further meaningless chatter. She didn’t need such things. Since when had anyone been there for her, really and truly? She had thought there were….people there for her but at every turn, when she needed them most they were gone. Lichensith Ulroke had been right. All along he had told her not to get close to anyone. Not to trust anyone. And finally, she was sticking to those words.

“A hopeless dream? Fah. Scarlet, I was a champion of a hopeless dream for eons. I've lived through epochs, and endured it all. You made a contract with me - you're stuck with me as a fighter in your banner. Just need to get ahold of this world’s equivalent of Bonfire travel. “ He snorted.

She stared at his back. Stuck with him? She had her doubts. He would have his uses, but beyond that. He was just another stranger, another tool, another stepping stone. She’d keep her side of the bargain. He could take whatever he wanted of her useless soul. It’d regenerate itself. As always.

The curse of the near immortal after all.

GP

Name
    Erik Dranglein
    Poor broken woman. Clearly she'd never experienced jolly cooperation. I might not be as good at it as Solaire was, but that didn't mean I was oblivious as to how it worked. Now if only I had a soapstone sign, to give her a way of calling me if she needed me for something. Homeward bones, too, to return to Camille. Bah, I missed the tools of my world. A glance over my shoulder showed that she was clearly done talking - she was glaring at the sky. So I held my tongue. Her Soul lingered in me, inky darkness that coiled through my system, replenishing me.

I'd have to pound into this woman’s head what it meant that she had a right and proper Undead in her ranks. If she really was stuck in a cycle of rebirth, and sought to break it - well. Their contract might just last a long while. My only obligation in this world, aside from my contract with this red-haired woman, was to Camille. And while Camille and Nikita clearly did not like Scarlet, that was not returned. I’d have to find out what exactly happened - preferably from an outside source, to avoid either women influencing with their view of things.

Besides. If she was trapped in forever, as her senior (ignoring the fact that this world wasn't where I had been trapped) I would have to make sure that this poor woman didn't go mad. Eternity was…. Difficult. And I'd rather not see what the font of Abyss behind me could become if she went Hollow. I imagine, it might be rather like what would have happened if I had fallen when at my full strength. I frowned in thought. That was actually a concerning prospect. If this fount of darkness overflowed.. I looked back, examining her again - and froze.

What the Flame. No, what in the actual fucking Flame? How had I missed that before? No, I knew how I missed it, she was brimming with darkness, enough so of course the pearl of golden light glowing inside of her was almost impossible to see. He cleared his throat. “So. For someone of Humanity so deep, you carry quite the powerful little light hidden within.” His voice was steady as he guided the horse around a curve.

“I've tried ripping it out numerous times. Little Fucker doesn't want to move. That light was what I used to be.” She didn't sound like she cared about her fall. “My species was meant to bring life and spread mana to this world. Eons old… I was one of the first. An elder everyone looked up to.” She laughed. “They’d say I have fallen so far, but I’ve become far stronger than any of them.” I frowned. That was - surprisingly familiar. Worryingly so.

I knew of another race of golden light, powerful flame seized, but with darkness ever encroaching upon them. It seemed like there were some surprising similarities between their worlds - though here, what would have been considered Divine was merely a demi-God. Hm. I clenched my hand tight, the reins creaking in my grasp. This was difficult not to say something on - but she didn't need to know how similar it seemed we were.

“The Abyss does hold strength, yes.” That - that seemed safe enough to say. After all, the Souls of Humanity were what the Flame fed upon the nest. From darkness, light was born. You could not have one without the other in my experience.
    She continued without prompt. “Our race is all but wiped out. Used as batteries, used to power alchemical magic. Imprisoned to use as an unlimited source of food or power. You've tasted it yourself. “

t I couldn't help it. I let out a laugh, a bitter, hateful laugh. “They always end up doing that. Seeking to capture the Flame to use it for power. Never understanding that even unlimited power will run out in the face of Eternity. And then when the Flame is gone, they fear the Darkness they created.”

I shook my head, dark brown hair swaying in the wind. “I cannot naysay them, sadly. After all, bitter chocolate. But, I don't need your Soul to continue, any Soul will do really.” I did not want this woman to think she had some kind of hold over me. While her Abyss-tainted Soul was delicious, I was not beholden to it, addicted or unable to live without it. We had a contract, an exchange in my world’s currency. I wonder, did that make me a mercenary? At least I was one no one else could ever buy.

“So. Since we’ve days on the road, is there anything you want, or need, to know about me? I presume, I'd I'm going to be - what, hired muscle? Hah, yes I suppose that's accurate. In any case. If I'm to be ‘hired muscle’, you might want to know about me. So, ask.” What questions might a semi-immortal, functional immortal, ask of another? One from another world? I was curious, and this would give me more insight into her mind.

There was a long silence from her, at least she didn’t participate in needless chatter. Finally her questions began. Slow “You...feel familiar - tell me - what sort of being were you on your world and how did you come to this crapfest?”

I blinked. What sort of being was I? I- I let out a laugh. Like calls to like. The laughter swelled. “I was a being of the light, who fought against it in order to protect the dark. My punishment was unique to me, to become embraced by that dark, to bear a curse that affected it but, other than me, never affected one of my Kin.” I was not, not going to say that I was once the Firstborn son of the King of Gods. She did not need that. “And then, I was further cursed, to bear the mark of a wound that killed me. That one is truly unique to me, no other Undead ever bore such a punishment. Of course, they didn't rebel against the gods.” No, most of them served the idiots of my Father and his ilk. One hand came up and rubbed the scar on my neck as I remembered that damn bastard, the one who killed me last.

“So the names and races are different - but in a sense we’re virtually the same…at least strikingly so...” She mused quietly to herself.

“In a way, yes, I suppose so. More similar than different.” I stretched out. “Of course being an Undead - I think an accurate description might be a form of ‘soul vampire’ adds a wrinkle to that.” He shrugged. “But that has just made me immortal.”

“Mmm…” I chuckled and looked over my shoulder at her.

“Being caught between the light and dark does usually end up with people firmly entrenched on one side or the other not approving of you. I've found it best to not reveal it usually, I got tired of the people I was trying to help protect attempting to kill me.” It wasn't the Chosen Undead or the Unkindled One’s fault they'd fallen for the lies of the Gods. At least the last seemed to realize something was wrong as he struck me down.

Shattered heart and Soul

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    “That’s yer problem. Giving yourself people to protect. It’s a liability. They all fuck you over in the end.” She spoke from past experiences, from what she had learned from her master and what she had to listen to when it came to others problems. “It’s easier to look out for yerself.”

Scarlet nestled her head further into the sack of potatoes, lazily staring up at the sky. “Give a fuck what people think. Everyone has their own version of good or bad...right and wrong...it’s all a matter of perspective. It’s why I hate fuckin’ hero of justice types.”

“Some will fuck you over. Some will drive a knife into your back the first time someone flashes a few shiny Souls in their face. Some will kick you off a ledge. Others - others will sacrifice themselves for you, giving up immortality in order to protect you. Some will suffer for hundreds of years, to ease yours. Just as everyone has their one view of right and wrong - there are others who know, who truly believe, in companionship, in friendship. I've seen a company of men, locked in eternal battle with themselves, because they saw they were falling to what they saw as evil. So rather than fall, they trapped themselves, so that their evil stayed locked away, wearing itself out.” He rolled his shoulder.

“Living for eternity just means it’d take longer for people to fuck you over.” Scarlet muttered. She wasn’t buying into this whole ‘companionship’ thing that Erik was spewing. Like she needed it. Hah. She didn’t even want it. Ever since she cut her ties with everyone, she had been better. Much better. She was able to concentrate on her own duties, her own desires and motives.Nothing got in her way.

“Let’s move away from this….wishy-washy talk.” She muttered, grimacing at the feeling of a particular potato wedged in the back of her neck. It wasn’t comfortable but it sure beat riding on horseback with a creature trying to buck you off.

“Very well. Any other questions you wish to ask?” The man paused and glanced towards the horizon, and frowned. “And it seems a storm is brewing.” There were no clouds in sight. Scarlet grimaced as she sat up and massaged her neck. “The fuck you talking about? Skys clear, sure we hit snow near Salvar but that’s another day away at best.”

He rolled his shoulders, still staring in the same direction, even as the road curved. His dark brown hair swayed as he shook his head. “No. There's a storm coming. The air is getting heavier.” He frowned. “It will be a powerful lightning storm. Being caught in it - painful. Neither of us will stay dead, but it will slow us down - is there anywhere we can take shelter?” His voice did take on a bit of an urgent tone.

Scarlet sighed as she stretched, arching her back. She clearly didn’t have the same concern as he did. She surveyed their surroundings. The road had cleared to dirt hours ago, but it was packed down flat. Tiny posts dotted the side of the road, markers. “If I’m not mistaken there should be an inn, about 30-40 minutes away at this current pace.” She shifted to sit on the edge of the cart, it was uncomfortable but at least she could see ahead better. “Is it really that urgent? Just a storm.” His concern said otherwise. Scarlet wasn’t as attuned to nature as he was apparently. She didn’t really feel much of anything, other than annoyance.

He looked to her, then back in the direction he'd been staring. “We should have that much time.” Despite saying that, he tapped his heels against the horse, making it speedy up. “how many truly powerful storms have you seen?”

Scarlet scoffed. “I live in the Northen Salvar wastes, I LIVE in a land cursed by eternal storms and inhospital weather.” She snorted. Why was Erik so hung up on things? He was immortal - so why would a storm have him so rattled? If he was this rattled perhaps she should give him the benefit of the doubt. Then in the distance was a loud, long roll of thunder. He shifted and frowned. His gaze shot to the bag he had dropped into the carriage, where his unstrung bow was resting.

“So. A powerful, unnatural storm, and you aren't concerned? Tell me. What kind of Beasts does this land have that might cause such a storm?” There was now an almost anticipatory note in his voice.

“Fucked if I know. Maybe Thayne Am’alah is just pissy at something for all I know.” Erik paused in the motion, and his head slowly tracked back to look to her. A hungry smile spread across his lips.

“A Thayne? A Thayne, or a beast… Oh, either way that will be fun.” He shook his head then. “But no, I suppose not. My time now is not my own.” But even as he said that, the storm clouds were building, racing towards them.

Scarlet pursed her lips. “Your time? Dude - I don’t give a fuck. I haven’t technically given you any orders yet have I? If you want to go chasing after some beast do it.” She swung her legs idly back and forth, her leather boots hit against the wood in small thunks. “Hell, it’s better than forcing idle chit chat.” She gave him a smirk. “Just try not ta destroy the carriage. Unless you wanna be a pack mule.” Erik raised an eyebrow at her, then let out a booming laugh. He rolled off of the horse and patted the animal. He moved swiftly,grabbing the seven foot staff from the carriage, and his sword and shield, and his quiver of overly large arrows. He grinned and saluted her.

“Let's hope I don't die - getting back from Stonevale will take a while.” Then the apparent madman started striding toward the onrushing storm, drawing a heavy coil of a string of some sort from one of his pouches and wrapping it stringing the staff, bowing it, showing that it was a massive great bow.

Scarlet sighed heavily. “Fuckin…. No one better steal my damn potatoes.” She followed several metres behind Erik. It’d be interesting to see him fight. He was most definitely excited about it. If he was wanting to so badly, why not just do so? Why wait for her approval. They weren’t lovers, they weren’t partners, hell, they were barely even associates. They had a deal - and this didn’t even fall under it.

Loud rumbling thunder shook the skies above, and there was most definitely ...a sort of electricity to the air. She hadn’t felt nor noticed it before but Erik was right. It did feel thicker. She pursed her lips. Thankful he wasn’t around. She didn’t need him throwing it in her face, that yes, this thing was an unnatural storm.

Further up ahead she caught sight of his back. His shoulders were rolled back, tensed. His feet planted firmly apart in the ground. Shoulder length. He held his oversized bow back. The string taut.

It…

It reminded her of Jake. For the briefest of moments the tall man before her was replaced with a light, small and sprightly half elf. Jake had tried teaching her to use a bow and arrow once...Now he was probably dead in a ditch somewhere. Scarlet couldn’t remember if the half elf survived her attack on him. Ah well.

“So…” Scarlet said as she approached him from behind, “What do your elf eyes see - Erik?”