Level completed: 70%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,474

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human

What could have been II [Mature]

((This thread takes place on an alternate timeline. Closed to Amari.))

“Jake, I’m never going to learn to fight like you,” Amari said, crossing her arms so the wooden practice sword he’d foisted upon her rested in the crook of her arm.

“You say that now,” The half elf replied, holding his own liviol tonfa in a low guard, “but what if one day you need to defend yourself, and all you have is a sword? Or a stick?” With a sigh Amari loosened her shoulders and bent her knees and the pair circled one another within one of many dirt rings at the Dansdel Fight Club. An autumn breeze nipped over the treetops of the forest Concordia and swirled about Underwood, where it scratched at the youths’ bare hands.

“Alright,” Jake said, “try not to cross your feet. Yes, like that. Okay. I’m going to come at you with a basic swing. Are you ready?”

“I uh-think so,” Amari held the practice sword in front of her with both hands as if it were a ceremonial candle. Her attention wavered as her gaze shifted between him and her.

“Err, good.” Jake muttered. “Just use the block I showed you, okay? Here it-”

“Isn’t that Breaker?” Amari loosened her grip and the weapon ‘thunked’ against the ground, hilt still clasped in her hand.

“It doesn’t mat- wait, who?” Jake turned around in time to see a tall, broad shouldered man sling his opponent to the ground as effortlessly as lacing his boots. The felled man groaned and lay still. As the victor cracked his neck the sun caught the familiar Y-shaped scar beneath his left eye. Jake and Amari had met the man at the earlier that week, and shared a drink with him. He’d shown a strange interest in Amari, calling her a… what was it? Ar’Tuel.

“Are you alright?” The redheaded young woman cried. She dropped her practice sword in the dirt and rushed to the fallen man’s side. Jake sighed and shook his head, sliding his tonfa through its belt loop and following in her wake.

“Amari,” Joshua “Breaker” Cronen said in surprise. The martial artist tousled his close-cropped brown hair and looked past her. “And Jake. Fancy meeting you both here again.”

“I’m fine lass,” wheezed the man on the ground. “Just a little winded is all.” Amari breathed a sigh of relief and stood, dusting herself off and stepping back to Jake’s side.

“Hey, since you’re free,” Jake said as the other man walked away holding his ribs, “how about showing me a move or two?” Despite his reservations about the martial artist, the half elf could scarcely pass up an opportunity to learn from such an instructor.

“Sure,” Cronen grinned. He pointed at Jake’s hip. “Draw your weapon.” Jake put his right hand on the tonfa’s handle and drew the fighting stick across his body like a sword, as every teacher he’d ever had had shown him to do. “Wrong,” Josh interrupted. “Put it back.”

Jake’s brow furrowed, but he slid the stick back through its belt loop.

“Drawing your weapon is your first attack, and your first defense.” Cronen explained. “Practice pulling it straight out and up, with your left hand, and then pass it to your right.

“Like this?” Jake asked. He drew the tonfa forcefully, aiming the crosspiece at an imaginary foe’s jaw.

“Exactly,” Cronen said with a smile and a nod. “Now practice that. Fifty times today, and fifty times every day from now until it’s as easy and fluid as taking off your cap.”

“Fifty times?” Jake said incredulously. “That was a quick lesson. What will you be doing?”

“I thought I might have a word with your friend,” Breaker said, turning to Amari, who had been politely standing by. “How is Underwood liking you so far?”

Shattered heart and Soul

EXP: 76,735, Level: 11
    Level completed: 98%, EXP required for next Level: 265
    Level completed: 98%,
    EXP required for next Level: 265

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    "M-me?” Amari glanced up at Breaker, jumping slightly as he addressed her. Her hands reached awkwardly for her long, red tendrils as she began to tug on them. “It’s...it’s ok. I mean. Jake keeps trying to get me to learn to fight but no matter how hard I try…” She trailed off… no matter how hard she tried, she was completely inept at any sort of combat. It felt almost wrong to hold a weapon in her hands and despite her attempts to relay this to Jake, he insisted that she should protect herself. He was right, and she was doing her best but it just wasn’t good enough.

“I can’t seem to grasp it. I know it’s silly…” A forced laugh fell from Amari’s lips as she turned her brilliant golden and emerald eyes toward Jake, watching him intently practise. “But it almost hurts to hold such a thing… Jake says I need to familiarise myself with it moreso, but I find it ever so difficult.”

“Not everyone is meant to wield a sword,” Breaker mused, watching Jake practice over her shoulder. “But an Ar’Tuel such as you will have other talents worth honing.”

Amari felt… validated by Breakers words. He sounded almost amused, as though he knew something that was so evidently obvious, and she just didn’t get it. Still. Despite that… it was comforting to hear that maybe, just maybe she wasn’t completely inept.

“Jake says I need to defend myself.” Amari muttered, still attempting to rationalise things. “I do not know what I am beyond Ar’Tuel. You-” Amari paused as Breaker had taken a step closer. Did he? She wasn’t sure. He felt closer. “You…”

Yeh. He was closer, she could smell faint remnants of alcohol, and the sea, somehow. At least it reminded her of the sea. Despite only ever seeing it in pictures. “You seem to know much about me, but we never got the chance to talk. I do think it would be nice to do so. One question I have, is what other abilities do you believe one such as myself could possibly possess?”

“With a soul like yours, I believe the possibilities are endless,” he said, gazing at her but seeming to see inside her. “Have you noticed any powers manifesting already?”

Amari blinked, powers? She repeated her sentiment. “Powers? That goes entirely against the teaching of the Ethereal Sway! I was meant to go there when I turned 18, but on my birthday everything with Jake happened. Regardless... such things - that’s a little...preposterous.”

He continued to stare at her, that gaze burning into her. Dammit… why did it make her feel so...what was this? Awkward? Flushed? “I guess..” I glanced down at my hands. “I think I see my hands glowing sometimes, and it’s like animals understand me.”

Amari waved off her admission like it was nothing more than a passing thought. “Ahaha… not...not that I can talk to animals, just that they understood. There was this bear and he was so lovely and warm and we’d often take walks in the forest before Jake dragged me here…” Her voice trailed off as she remembered the feeling of being surrounded by all the forests.

Sure..this place was ok...but it was nothing like being surrounded by those trees, the babbling brooks and the gentle smell of fresh loamy earth.

“Ah. I am getting carried away with myself. I’m sorry. How are you Breaker?” Amari asked as she glanced up at him.

“I am well,” he smiled, “but busy. Being sheriff of this town keeps me fairly occupied. In fact I’m meant to meet with the mayor shortly.” He gave a little half bow. “If you want to investigate these… non-powers of yours, try taking a walk in the woods and just focusing on what you feel.” He glanced at Jake, who was still rigorously practicing his single technique. “It was good to see you again, Amari.”

Amari smiled up at him. “Thank you, and likewise. Talking to you. It feels calm. Familiar. You’ve set some thoughts of mine at ease so-” Amari paused to slightly bow her head. “So thank you.”

Breaker grinned and took a five-pointed metal star out of his pocket and pinned it on his shirt. “Just doing my duty,” he said with a nod, and turned to walk away.

Amari’s eyes lingered on the back of Breaker’s head as he turned from her. Just his duty? Was that it. A small frown plagued her lips. That was somewhat disappointing, but she couldn’t pinpoint why. Amari shook such thoughts from her head as she turned to Jake. He was breathing heavily and sweat dripped from his forehead to the dirt riddled floor. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a clean hankerchief as she approached him with a warm smile.

Jake…

He was always so familiar, so set on his goals. It was endearing to see.

“Here.” She reached out toward him and he paused. “Would you like to take a break? You look like you are having trouble.”

Adventurer

EXP: 32,526, Level: 7
    Level completed: 70%, EXP required for next Level: 2,474

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    Jake finished the fiftieth repetition of the exercise Breaker had assigned him and took the proffered handkerchief gratefully.

“This is completely contrary to what I’ve been taught all my life,” he complained as he wiped his brow. “It’s so awkward, drawing the tonfa left-handed.”

“Then why bother?” The redhead asked, cocking her head to one side and toying with an errant strand of hair.

“Because he’s right,” Jake said grudgingly as he slammed his tonfa home on his hip. “Doing it this way is faster, and flows more naturally into fighting. Once I get good at this, it’ll make a big difference.” He offered the handkerchief back.

“You can hold onto that,” Amari said, wrinkling her nose. Jake shrugged and stuffed the square of fabric in his back pocket. “If Breaker was right about this, do you think he might be right about other things?”

“Like what?” Jake asked, scuffing the ground with the toe of his boot. “He certainly seems wise and well… confident enough. What did he tell you?”

“He said he thought I might have some sort of powers - which is ridiculous - but he also suggested I take a walk in the woods, which sounds like a fine idea. Will you come with me?”

“Of course,” Jake flipped his mop of blond hair off his forehead and took a step toward the treeline some hundred yards away, offering Amari his arm.

She seemed reluctant, but carefully reached out to Jake, her hands entwining around his upper arm. Together they strode away from the dusty rings where fighters practiced. They returned Amari’s practice sword to a small outbuilding full of weapon racks, its loose shingles flapping in the wind, and then continued on into the woods.

The breeze played in the trees and swayed through the long grasses, tickling their skin where it was bare and tugging at their clothing. Jake led the way along a narrow dirt trail bordered by thick loam and thick trunks. The sun filtered through the latticework of branches overhead, casting strange speckled shadows across the ground and the two youths.

“Well, this is rather nice,” Jake said as they strolled, “but was there any purpose to it? Are we looking for something?”

Amari seemed distracted. “Jake…” Amari mumbled, tightening her grip. “I’m flustered.” She mumbled under her breath. “It’s...difficult for me to explain but when I hold onto you, or you to me it’s like...a similar feeling I get when I see Breaker. What is that?” She shook her head and tried to answer his question. “I’m...not sure. He didn’t tell me.”

“Oh,” Jake said, and his feet stopped moving. “You feel the same way when you touch me as when you look at him?” The half elf didn’t know whether to be exhilarated or disappointed, so he settled for confused. “It’s not really for me to say what that is. I mean, are you attracted to him?”

Shattered heart and Soul

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    “I-it’s not just you..anytime I touch someone, or have them touch me I get these hot flushes…”” Amari mumbled, “It’s worse with you, like this…” She paused and quickly added, “N-not that this is a bad thing! I Just…” She sighed, it was difficult for her to focus right now. Her frustrations unbeknownst to her, coming from devious sigils her brother placed on her in her youth. Ones intended to control and twist her into things that were better left unmentioned.

Amari jumped at the question. Attracted? What did Jake mean by that? “Huh? Do you mean, if I find him...pleasing to look at?” She turned her eyes toward the path ahead of them. “I...think so. He’s usually so clean cut. Well presented, even after fighting. It’s...admirable.”

“Oh,” Jake looked as though a foul smell had passed beneath his nose, despite the pleasant aromas of the forest. “He is rather annoyingly perfect, isn’t he? I suppose if you find that kind of thing admirable… it does sound like you’re attracted to him. But that doesn’t explain why you have the same feelings when you touch m-- anyone. I’m sorry for bringing it up, Amari… but don’t you think this could have something to do with what your brother did to you?”

Amari felt her heart sink, her arms loosened from Jakes arm before sliding away as she stood still and he continued forward a few steps only to turn back and give her a worried glance. Amari was silent. Why? Why did Jake have to bring that up? Amari shook her head, it was clearing already.

“Maybe it has something to do with you…” she mumbled.

“Amari, what-”

She didn’t let him finish, “It’s all ...worse….intensified with you! So maybe its YOU! Why try to bring up something I don’t..I don’t want to think about? I don’t want to...I don’t…” She crouched down to the dirt riddled path and clasped her hands over her head in an attempt to block out the sound. She forced her eyes shut. No. She didn’t want this. She begged for this to stop. This uneasy feeling.

Amari wasn’t ready to confront that sordid and horrifying past. Flashes of what he did danced across her mind, his false honeyed tones, the venomous glint in his eyes. Was that really true? Was Jake onto something.

“Dammit…” She whispered.

During her battle with herself, something around her responded. Small sprouts of greenery erupted from the ground where there was only dirt and pebble before. Then grass, even small yellow daffodils.

“Amari!”

She didn’t hear him, she chose not to. She pressed her hands tighter to the sides of her head. Go away… just go away...just go away…. the newly sprouted flora grew toward her, some of the sprouts slowly beginning to entangle her sandled shoes.

“Amari!” She heard his voice a second time, then felt the warmth of his hand around her wrist as she was pulled up and away. “Amari.” Jake pleaded. “Look.” Still holding tight to her wrist Jake pointed to the spot she had been sitting in.

A ring of grass, vines and flowers.

“What?”

“Amari… you did that. How did you do that?”

“I just… didn’t want to be around anything anymore…” I wrestled my hand away from his and approached the circle.

“Amari! Don’t, we don’t know what that could-”

“It’s ok…” Amari whispered, she wasn’t entirely sure why. But she felt it...she felt that it was ok, and that this was what Breaker meant. It was so obvious now, without the muffled feelings of heat and frustration from constantly clinging to Jake...it was so painfully obvious.

It was just a shame that whatever ‘that’ was….Amari hadn’t a clue on. “Joshua was right… “ Amari whispered, whispering Breakers name as her hands danced over the new saplings, they seemed to positively react to her touch, growing toward her hand as it shifted.

“I don’t know what this means…Jake?” Amari asked, looking up at him, eyes begging him for answers that he didn’t have.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    “It means…” Jake’s brow furrowed as he thought furiously. “It means you’re special Amari. You can do something most others can’t. That’s a gift.”

Amari glanced down, “I don’t know...the church condemned such things. Maybe this is why my mother died when she gave birth to me...” She shook her head. “Do you...think Joshua knew about this?”

Jake shrugged. “I don’t know, honestly… he seems to know much more than he lets on, if you ask me. But your mother dying wasn’t your fault Amari… and there’s nothing wrong with a little magic.” He snapped his fingers and conjured a ball of fire in his hand. “I know the church in Salvar looks harshly on it, but you don’t need to worry about that here. People will accept you for who you are.”

She stood and dusted the dirt off her clothes. “I don’t care about that, I’m more worried about what you think of me.”

“What I think of you?” Jake asked. Women could be so bloody confusing. “I think you’re wonderful, Amari. That’s why I’ve done everything I have. Because you’re worth it.”

She stared at Jake a few moments, silent, and he wasn’t able to read the expression on her face. Finally she smiled at him and broached the small gap between them to grasp his hands in hers. “That means a lot to me Jake. I’ve been worried that I’ve been such a bother to you lately.”

“You’re not a bother,” Jake chuckled, tucking a red lock behind her ear. “Life’s been twice as fun since you’ve been around. Aside from the harrowing bits and everything. You know what I mean. I feel stronger around you. More focused.”

He felt her squeeze his hands tighter, “Sometimes you give me these looks and I think...I’ve done something wrong or you’re bothered by me. I’m relieved that is not the case.” She breathed a sigh of relief and leaned her face into his gesture. “This is all so new to me, and I’m glad I have people to help me. Like you...and now like Breaker.”

“Yes, Breaker…” Jake said, looking away suddenly and releasing her hands. “I’m sure he’ll be very helpful. Did he give you any other advice on what to do?”

She shook her head.

“Well I guess he’s a one and done sort of teacher,” Jake quipped. “Why don’t you see if you can make those trees grow some more?

Amari glanced toward a tree off the path, it was smaller, weaker than the rest and the roots had been uplifted from the ground. “I wouldn’t know where to start…” Despite her words, she wandered over to the tree and nestled herself against it. Jake watched as the tree didn’t exactly grow, but reacted positively to her presence.

“That’s good, Amari… just do what comes naturally.”

“Sit with me?” she asked, gesturing to the place beside her.

Jake stepped next to her and folded his legs, leaning his back against one of the uplifted roots. “I can’t do what you do.” He assured her. But it was still a pleasant moment of peace, and he took a deep breath, enjoying it.

Shattered heart and Soul

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    Peace…

Amari took a deep breath, he was right. This was peaceful. “Near where you first took me…” Amari began as she closed her eyes. “Those forests always made me feel peaceful. I just thought that it was because it was away from people. Being around too many make me anxious. Afraid. I’m slowly getting over those things thanks to you...I just…” She allowed her hand to dance over the grass and took another deep breath again.

“What is it?” Jake said dreamily, gazing up at the treetops.

Amari kicked off her shoes, and removed the outer layer of her clothing, leaving behind the thin slip of a mangled dress. It felt better this way. Less restricting, and it felt. Amari tried to concentrate on the feeling, it was almost a buzzing inside of her. She didn’t hear Jake’s question, instead. She concentrated on that. Behind her closed lids there was a faint glow, amber...and it felt warm. If she just opened her eyes, she’d realise the source of that was her own body, but her lids felt heavy and she didn’t want to move. This was what she needed, not fighting, not defending herself with a weapon… but this
    “This…” She whispered, turning and curling her body into the tree. “Feels like home.” IF she were let be, she’d have fallen asleep like that. A faintly glowing woman, barely dressed - nestled up against a tree along a dirt riddled path which just so happened to have a giant spot of grass in the center of it.

What a sight.

Jake smiled somewhat awkwardly, looking at the radiant young woman. “Good,” he said, and then hesitated as if about to say more, and then fell silent.

Amari wasn’t sure how much time had passed, but when she opened her eyes the sun had all but set, and it was beginning to get dark. There was a source of-

“Wait WHAT! WHY am I GLOWING!” Amari said, startled as she glanced down at herself, if she had the time, she’d have found it pleasing. But she was too busy being concerned with the fact that she was glowing. “Jake!? Jake!?” She called scrambling to her feet. Damnit...why was she covered in vines? When did the grass become so thick? As she tried to stand, Amari tripped and fell with a thud.

“I wasn’t sleeping,” Jake said as he stood up, eyes coming open. “Oh, Amari, are you okay? What’s happened?”

How was he not concerned? How was he not worried? She lay there, nestled against the greenery all tangled up in saplings, vines, and plantlife. “Please! Help!” She said, exasperated as she reached up to clasp his hand.

Jake pulled her up and with a little bit of effort, free from the entrapment she found herself in. Jake pulled her up and out, and into his arms as she stumbled forward. Her hands pressed against his chest.

“I uh…”

“Jake…” Amari mumbled.

“I see it was a fruitful endeavour.” A voice caused Amari to reel it in, and back away from Jake far enough that her back was pressed against the tree. “B-breaker!?” Amari asked. “How did you-”

He chuckled. “On patrol, seeing a glowing woman is something my job warrants me to investigate.” His eyes set on Amari. “I had a feeling it may have been you though.”

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    “Oh good,” Jake commented, “it’s you. Just out on patrol sheriff?”

“Like I said,” the broad shouldered man grinned “glowing people always merit investigation on my watch.” He cast a shrewd eye over Amari’s semi-clothed form. “You’re fine.” He told her. “You know, when my abilities first started to develop, I glowed too. I learned to control it, but it still happens once in awhile.”

“This...is normal?” Amari asked stepping away from the tree. “How do you know so much about me?” she asked.

“We may have known each other,” he said, “in another life, or on another plane of existence. It’s hard to say. My memories aren’t clear. But you are familiar to me in… many ways.”

Amari seemed hesitant, glancing sideward at Jake before commenting. “I cannot lie, and must say I feel the same of you.”

“Well this is just flaming lovely,” Jake muttered. He moved away, down the path. “I’ll see you back at the inn, Amari.”

Amari frowned, “Jake - wait! What did…” her words faltered, as they fell on deaf ears.

“Let him go,” Breaker said easily. “We have much to discuss, in any case.”

Jake trudged out of earshot before they could say anymore lovey-dovey things to each other. He supposed he knew this might happen eventually, but it seemed so sudden. Anyway, Amari had never looked at him the way his friendly neighbourhood serving girls did. And how could you be with a woman who didn’t give you the smouldering eyes? Even so, Jake’s chest burned as he accelerated from a walk to a run, thundering down the path with his tonfa swinging on his hip.

He exploded out of the woods and raced back to the Dansdel training grounds and stopped, breathing heavily. He took Amari’s handkerchief out of his back pocket and wiped his brow, and then threw the token in the dirt. He didn’t fully understand the emotion rising inside him, or maybe he didn’t want to.

“You look like a volcano fit to rupture,” commented a tall youth around Jake’s age. He walked up with two cronies at his elbows. All three carried wooden staves and wore practice woolens and a sheen of sweat. They’d been working hard.

“And you look like a skinny fat bastard I’m about to beat half to death.” Jake growled.

The tall youth’s face twisted and he raised his staff.

Jake stepped forward and drew his tonfa as Breaker had shown him, using both hands to drive the butt upward. It smashed into his enemy’s nose with a sickening smack.

“Get ‘im!” The tall whimsy whimpered as he sat down hard, dropping his staff to cradle his nose as it ran crimson. His two friends came around him like an eagle’s wings, wielding their weapons.

Jake swung at one and thrust at the other. He kept his feet moving and his eyes wavering. For what felt like an age he managed to fend them both off, and then something snaked between his ankles and tripped him up. It was the downed fighter’s staff; he’d stopped holding his nose and found his courage. His friends beat Jake mercilessly as he fell, curling into a ball to avoid the worst of the damage.

Shattered heart and Soul

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    “You’re right….” Amari said, watching as he broke into a run. Didn’t Jake say that he wasn’t annoyed or upset with her? Amari had been so incredibly happy knowing that...knowing that Jake was enjoying her company as much as she was enjoying his. She liked being around him, she felt safe and content - but he always did this. He got moody with her, he’d shrug her off and he’d wander off… or in this case...run off. Amari told herself she’d have to sit down with Jake and discuss this later. He was giving her mixed signals and it bothered her. Just what was she doing wrong? For now...

“Joshua..” Amari began, glancing at the ground around her, “It’s like - all this nature. It’s attracted to me, I suppose I could say the same with animals. You recall the bear?”

“I do.” Breaker said with a chuckle as he approached Amari, pausing to pluck a flower from the ground. “made friends with it?” he jested as he deftly placed it i behind her ear.

“yY yeh. What did you want to talk about?” Amari asked. Flushed, his action, whilst kind seemed to fluster her. She had to crane her neck up to see him. Gosh.. He still smelt like the ocean.

“You,” Breaker said, a twinkle in his eye. He gestured for her to walk with him and led the way down the trail in Jake’s wake. “You seem happy enough, but I know you have great pain… I can see it etched on your skin, your very soul. I’d like to find a way to help you with that, if I may. But also… I see great potential with that. If you’re interested… I could train you. Not like Jake. I’d teach you to be a stronger version of what you already are.”

“I'd love that.” Amari commented, stepping closer toward him and grabbing his arm. Now she Wasn't glowing the cold nipped at her and formed goosebumps. She visibly shivered, not just from the cold but the bitter memories. “I've..dealt with difficult things...I think its almost what triggered what happened...Jake mentioned my brother and…” Amari shook her head. The way she acted...was that why Jake was mad at her? She had to get stronger, that way she wouldn’t annoy him by being so dependent on him. “Yes please I would love your help.” She reiterated as she tightened her grip. “where would we start?”

“Let’s head back to Underwood,” he suggested, “these woods can be dangerous at night. And… there’s something I’d like to show you.”

Amari nodded. “I don’t feel unsafe here though but…” Underwood was where Jake would have gone back to. “I trust you.” Amari said.

“Good,” Josh smiled, “I won’t let you down.” He led the way back along the path. As they neared the treeline and the Dansdel grounds beyond, the sounds of shouting reached their ears. “Hurry,” Josh said suddenly, increasing his pace. They broke through the treeline in time to see three youths standing over a fourth, mercilessly beating him with staves.

Hey!” Breaker yelled, and his voice struck the young men like a thunderbolt. They dropped their weapons and scattered as Josh and Amari raced to the fallen man’s side.

“Oh, thanks for stopping by.” Jake said ruefully as he sat up, holding his ribs and spitting out blood.

Amari dropped to her knees. “Jake!” she carefully picked him up and set his head in her lap. “Jake…I’m sorry this is my fault.” Amari felt so guilty, if he hadn’t run off, if she hadn’t said whatever it was she had said to piss him off...Amari’s grip on him tightened, and that same strange glow came from her palms and soaked into Jakes body. His wounds began to dissipate, at least the smaller ones. The cuts and bruises. Amari flinched, only slightly as her breath stilled. She felt it. She felt his pain. The pain of all the wounds inflicted on him, for a moment she was worried that they’d be visible on her, but upon further inspection her body was clear.

“I uh…” She wasn’t sure what to do, so, as always, she looked up at Joshua. “Joshua??”

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    “This is not your fault,” Josh said, kneeling next to her, “but it does seem you’ve uncovered another talent. You’re a healer, Amari.”

“Whoa,” Jake breathed, laying back down, “I feel better but… it’s like you sucked all the energy out of me.”

“She likely had to use some of your own life force to heal you,” Josh said, “you’ll need to get to bed and rest.” He offered the half elf a hand and pulled him to his feet. Jake wobbled slightly but nodded.

“Thanks, Amari… that was pretty impressive.” Jake said. “Maybe you could become one of the Ai’Brone monks or something.” He rubbed his ribs where the bruises had receded so rapidly. “I’m going to follow Breaker’s advice. I’ll see you at the inn.” He picked up his tonfa from where it had fallen nearby and staggered off like a walking corpse.

“Well,” Josh said as Jake faded into the darkness, “that was impressive. Are you alright, Amari?”

Amari was still, her jaw clenched and she was shaking. She looked to be in pain. “Y-yeh...I...that hurt…”

“Interesting,” Josh mused, “you may have taken the pain of his injuries upon yourself.” He took her hand and helped her to her feet. “Do you need some rest as well? The thing I wanted to show you can wait.”

Amari shook her head, “No. I’m ok.” She was a little shaky to stand on her feet, and her face was flushed but she was determined. “I want to see now.”

“Well then,” Breaker smiled, “follow me.” Like a pair of moonshadows they flitted through the night, between buildings and over winter walkways and past homes with smoke billowing from chimneys. “I don’t spend much time here,” Josh explained as they rounded a corner and approached a squat building with a glass roof. “But it is one of Underwood’s many gems. I think you’ll like it.”

As they entered the greenhouse the smell of vibrant plant life enveloped them. Plants of all origins and colors grew from planter boxes filled with soil. Some sat on the ground, while others covered tables in long, haphazard rows. A lone lantern flickered at the back of the building, and the shape of a slight woman materialized as she approached from its radiance.

“Josh, is that you?” She called.

“Hello Helen,” Breaker smiled. “I figured you’d be burning the midnight oil. I brought a new friend. This is Amari. Amari, meet Helen, the greenhouse keeper.”

Amari stepped away from Breaker and approached the woman, offering her a small curtsey. It was clear she still clung to her noble upbringing and mannerisms. “It is a pleasure, Helen.” She said before lifting her head and turning her attention to the nearest planter box. She reached out to it and the lilac coloured flowers turned toward her. Amari quickly pulled her hand away and kept it hard to her sides biting her lower lip.

“Amari has something of a talent when it comes to plant life, and natural things.” Breaker smiled, giving her an encouraging nod. “Could you use an extra pair of hands around here, Helen? Someone to share some of your knowledge with?”

“Certainly,” the brunette woman replied kindly. She appeared fascinated by the way the flowers had reacted to Amari. “How did you do that?” She inquired.

“I….don’t….know I just....” Amari reached out to the flowers again and gently grazed one. The specific one she touched flourished, growing larger and its petals bloomed out wide. Amari went to pull her hand away but Joshua stepped in beside her and gently kept her hand there. “I have...vague memories doing similar things as a child but I was beaten for it. Magic is not allowed where I am from. I am a child of sin and ill fortune so…” She trailed off.

“Well, perhaps you can bring some good fortune to Underwood. Follow me.” Helen led them both to the rear of the building where she’d been working. The lantern there illuminated a trio of wilting cactus plants in pots. “These cacti are used to create medicines that treat congestion and fever. With winter approaching, we will be in great need of them soon. But they are dying… no matter what I try, I can’t reproduce the conditions they’re used to growing in. Please… if you would.”

Shattered heart and Soul

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    Amari seemed reluctant, she turned to Joshua with a look of concern on her face. “I...can try, but - I bring death…” She muttered. Despite her words she sounded as though she no longer firmly believed them. She was always told that in the past. She was told by her father, her brother… the neighbourhood Being careful not to prick herself on the cactai she pressed her hands into the dirt. She exhaled slowly and shut her eyes. For a few minutes nothing happened. Then...her hands began to glow again and the once limp and dying flora sprang to newfound life. Amari began to feel a little drained, she opened her eyes and seeing that she was succeeding she wasn’t sure if she should continue. Her legs buckled but she refused to back away.

“I-is that working?” She asked, unsure of what her own eyes were showing her. How could she, she of all people manage to do something like this?

“It’s more than working,” Helen exclaimed. She plucked a tiny silver sickle from the table and took a small cutting from the plant. “Minutes ago, this cactus was on the brink of death. Now it appears to be… flourishing.” She smiled at Amari.

As Helen took cuttings from the Cactai, they almost instantly began to regenerate. Amari was happy that it was working, but the longer she left her hands there, the more drained she felt. She had paled considerably and her own skin prickled with a strange electric energy.

“That might be enough for now,” Josh said gently, “you don’t want to overtax yourself.” She felt his hands on her shoulders and Amari carefully pulled away. He was right… still…

She glanced up at Helen, the golden ring and flecks in her eyes giving off a faint glimmer, her entire body radiated a similar glow and prickled with a strange sensation. “I’m happy I could help.” Amari said as she clasped a hand over her chest to steady her breathing in a way that wouldn’t alert the woman to how out of breath she was. “I am not sure how long I will be residing here for, as I am just a guest of a dear friend of mine - but if you wish for me to help you in the future. Please let me know.”

“That would be wonderful,” Helen said, “I can think of a half dozen projects that would benefit from your skill. But for now, I think I will lock up for the night. Please come by any time, I’m usually here.”

Amari nodded, and they said their goodbyes before Joshua lead her out of the greenhouse. “Is that what you wanted to show me? She asked as they stepped out into the cool air again. She bristled and rubbed her hands together. “This...residual effect…” She said as she glanced down at her dimly lit hands before holding them out to him. “It feels strange, it tingles almost - is it just me?”

“From what I can tell, it seems almost like a side effect of using your powers,” Josh said. “You may learn to control it in time. And yes… I wanted to show you the greenhouse. I wanted you to have something that appeals to you as much as the Dansdel does to Jake.”

Amari nodded. “I admit… that place makes me feel very uncomfortable, so does the fighting and his insisting me on fighting and training to fight and I just…” Amari sighed. “I can’t...I am trying. I really am, but I think I’m frustrating him. Ah… I don’t mean to speak ill of him. Joshua… thank you for showing me this place.”

“You’re very welcome,” he said. “Don’t be too hard on Jake. He just wants you to be safe, and to him safety lies in a sword. If he continues learning from me, I’m sure his perspective will change.”

Amari nodded, a look of concern etched on her features. “Yeh...I think I need to go have a talk with him when I get back to the hotel. If he’s not asleep already. I should go do that...unless there was anything else you wanted to discuss?” she asked, “You did say there was much to talk about?”

“There will be plenty of time for that,” Breaker said firmly, “you need your rest. Let me walk you to your inn.”

Amari smiled and coiled her hand around his arm. “I was just about to ask if you could do such a thing…” She said. The two walked to the inn and said their goodbyes. As breaker walked away, Amari watched until he turned a corner and away from view before she stepped inside and headed to Jakes room. She knocked softly at his door. “Jake...are you awake?”