Level completed: 24%, EXP required for next Level: 4,617
    Level completed: 24%,
    EXP required for next Level: 4,617

GP

Name
    Eteri Yoko
    Race
    Half Human Half Nekojin

I blinked. This Kenku was following me. Why? <”Oh look. Bird again. Plotting again.”> I chided, puffing up my cheeks. I was convinced that she was going to lead me away, cook me and eat me or something. Sneaky little things!

The bird woman didn’t respond, just stared at me - waiting for an answer. <”Not lost. Well… maybe a little bit lost, but in the end...I guess...I just ended up wandering. Why? What’s with you following me?”> My eyes narrowed. <”You’re not going to eat me are you?”>

The bird woman looked at the being oddly, a tilt to her head. <”Not following you. But, I saw you …>” she paused, trying to excuse herself. <“Again. And I don't eat cats. Too much fur.”>

It sounded….suspicious to say the least. Not following her, but just so happened to see her? And what? Approach again? <”When I see people… I don’t normally approach them constantly…”> My tail flicked side to side as I wrinkled my nose. <”If we go get something to eat can you tell me why you seem to be so interested in me?”>

Stare paused before blinking, and seemed to consider that food was an alright suggestion. After all, crows get hungry too. She nodded, though cautiously.

I nodded. <”Right.”> Admittedly.... It was much easier speaking in Akashiman. My grasp on tradespeak was juvenile at best and it wasn’t always good..no, nope. Not at all. At least it let me get away with a lot of things with people thinking I was younger than I am. I offered the bird a toothy grin. <”What is your name anyway?”>

<“Well, I get called Stare …”> Her tone was still wary.

Stare. The creatures name was Stare. I guess that made sense, she had big beady black eyes and it did feel like she was… well staring right through you. I shivered as I headed toward the nearest cafe, letting my nose guide me. It was a little unnerving...was that how people felt when they found out I could see their souls?

I barged into the cafe, the bells chimed and an alarmed portly lady stared right at me. She wore white, white and more white. Apron, dress, and a bandana that spinndly light orange hairs poked out of. “Excusing! Need the tables please!” I exclaimed.

She nodded and ushered us to a table, in the back corner. Away from everyone and as far away from the eyes of passerbys if they were to look into the store. I huffed. <“Rude...we’re not that strange…”> I muttered. <“Mmm Maybe you Stare… You don’t see many….ah… Kenku was it? Around here. Still… did they have to put us in the back corner?”> I was annoyed. I picked up the menu and stared at it.

I couldn’t read tradespeak but it felt better to angrily stare at the menu and imagining that it had burst into flames.
    I am cat gurl, gib me ur soul

Legend

EXP: 59,606, Level: 10
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next Level: 5,394
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,394

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    She sat for a while, watching the nekojin confusedly and angrily staring at the menu. Her brows rose and she wondered just now had a person survived for this long out of Akashima with such a tendency to be lost and a lack of knowledge of tradespeak such as hers. Kenku were educated in three languages as children that they all knew fluently by the age of ten, and it served them well. Stare wondered why the same wasn't for nekojin and just what Eteri's past it was that had made her so …

Well. Like this. Soulless, able to see souls, remarkably innocent and clueless. Absolutely clueless, was Stare's working ability for this person.

Sighing she leant across and jabbed a claw at several main sections on the menu. <“Sandwiches, soups, potatoes, salads, breads,”> she listed off. <“You really should learn how to read properly and read. It is much better for … well, everything.”> She gave a quick scan of her own menu. <“What do you want to drink? Tea?”>

<”It’s hard for me...I’ve always struggled with that sort of thing...My sister is fluent in a few languages. I just….”> She paused and squinted at the menu, <”No meat?”> She whined as her ears fell flat against her head. She seemed disappointed. <”I don’t like potatoes….they make me bloated...no rice either? Uhmm…. “> She grew more flustered. <”No noodles… no rice… why is it always bread….I guess whatever sandwich has the most meat in it….”>

She blinked and looked up at Stare. <”Tea? Oh...Yes...yes that is good.”>

Stare glanced down at the menu, looking at the various sandwiches. The terms were a little fancy, marking this place out as somewhat high society. A frown appeared in her eyes as she looked around the room and where they were sat - only now really noticing how far they were from everyone else - before she replied.

<“Chicken, beef, turkey are the options. And rice is basically a staple of Akashima and nowhere else. Not even the kenku community. We eat …”> She paused. <“Meat mostly. So, what one?”>

She huffed. <”I mostly eat meat...I’d almost rather go out and just pick something off in the forest...ahhh that's so far away though. Chicken. I guess…”>

Stare took a moment to tilt her head at and survey the odd cat creature with such a casual, throwaway way of talking. A lot more relaxing than the formal words of her employer. It was somewhat like a breath of fresh air actually, and Stare began to consider that Eteri wasn't so clueless. Just very good at walking in circles.

The kenku raised a claw in the hand and beckoned over the reluctant waitress. The girl hid a frown badly as she came over.

No need to look so glum, Stare thought as she tried to smile, but with a beak for a mouth it is hard. “One chicken sandwich, and a potato with turkey, please,” she tried to add an undeserving pleasant tone to her voice. “And … two pots of tea, milk and sugar. Please.”

The waitress gave a fake smile before nodding and heading off. Stare rolled her eyes.

<“Well there's a racist for you.”>
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

EXP: 15,383, Level: 5

GP

Name
    Eteri Yoko
    Race
    Half Human Half Nekojin
    I watched the lady walk away. Racist...yeh...that sounded right. I wondered if it was because of Stare, or me, or the both of us. Regardless. It was a little stupid. Sure, I wasn’t too keen on Stare. I wouldn’t want to be alone with her in a dark alley. Or any giant bird for that matter, but it didn’t mean that I was going to just throw her into an out of the way corner somewhere.

<”I think we shouldn’t pay. We eat. We run. Serves them right. This place gives me the creeps anyway.”> I said as I picked up a flower from the tables centrepiece. “It feels too pristine.”>

Stare looked at me in horror. <“Not pay? The waitress may be rude but she still needs to make a living. She'd be punished, maybe out of a job.”> She paused. <“We pay as that is right. But we can leave a very obvious complaint about her attitude.”>

I sighed and placed my elbows on the table, then my face into my hands as I stared at the strange bird creature before me. goody-toe-shoes kenku… So.. she could see souls too, but in a different way to me. Perception was a strange thing. I remember learning that different races and religions all saw the soul differently. In both the literal and figurative sense, so any studies on it were all based on theory through practise.

<”Hey… you didn’t really keep bumping into me did you?”> I paused and tried to read any sort of expression on her. There was none that I could see. <”Why?”>

The kenku took a moment and blinked a couple of times before staring daggers. <“I don't know what you mean,”> she lied a little too poorly.

<”I’m not smart. But I’m not that stupid.”> I pointed to her. <”This big city, with all its people… and you just so happen to bump into me that many times? You can tell me you don’t want me to know. But don’t lie to me!”> My fur on my ears bristled at the last sentence left my lips. “<I hate it when people do that.”> Of course… I guess was being a tad hypocritical. I did try to trick people, many a time - but rarely, if ever did I outright lie to them. Especially with such a direct question. Who on earth has time to keep up with all those lies?

<”You keep...uh..staring at me, and it's not just your name its your eyes.”>

The kenku eyed me cautiously. <“Staring is my thing. Get used to it. I picked up the nickname because I do it. A lot. And …”> she shifted a little, then grunted. <“I was telling part of the truth. I was not intentionally following you, rather I was looking for a wholesaler and then saw you again. Again. Two streets over. Clearly you were lost, and a fat man bumped into me, which sent me into your path ... so then I followed you and … meeting.”>

This conversation was getting a little awkward, did she know she was dancing around the question or was it an accidental thing? I groaned. <”Yes but WHY. Why not leave me alone? I thought if we at least got something to eat you’d tell me. Instead of….”> I gestured toward her, frustrated. <”This!”>

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    “You were lost,”> Stare said as if it was entirely obvious. Which she thought it was. Leaning back she carefully folded the menu before laying it to the side and narrowing her eyes at Eteri.

<“You were lost, so I tried to help. Forgive me for trying. You suggested lunch. I would have helped you find where you wanted to go if you had asked. But you seemed determined to find what you wanted.”>

<”I don’t care if I get lost. It just gives me new places to explore. I mean I don’t exactly have a home or a destination so can I ever really be that lost?”>

The kenku shrugged. She fell silent for a moment, stretching and looked out at the room. Her eyes blinked around and she breathed slow.

<“When … when did you leave Akashima?”> Stare suddenly asked, realising suddenly that she had a chance to find out what had happened to that fair country. She had gone little over eight months ago just after her final family member had died. <“How is it? I haven't heard of anything … of how it is.”>

Eteri tilted her head to the side. Feline ears flicked curiously at the question. <”A few years ago. I did not like it there. I did not like how I was treated. So I left.”>

Desperately she was trying to change the conversation from her curiosity over the woman, but also was she eager to find out really what had been happening in these last few months. In the world in general, but Akashima was priority of course. That world of rich texture and colour, honour and family.

<“I haven't been in there for a long time, sorry,”> she said quietly, thinking about her home as the food came. She drew back from the table, giving room for it to be set down. The good smell of freshly brewed tea came to their lungs. It was a good, bold, honest smell the reminded her of comfort.

<“Looks good,”> she mumbled, picking up a weak piece of salad. It flopped miserably before she popped it in her beak. Down it went as her head tilted back.

Casually, she began to pour tea for them both. <“So where were you going then, Eteri cat-girl? Perhaps I can help you find it.”>

<”Nowhere. Was looking for a friend who wanders through this area sometimes.”>

Stare blinked her huge black eyes. <“What shop though? Or is there a corner that is where you are going? I know Raiaera a little.”>
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

GP

Name
    Eteri Yoko
    Race
    Half Human Half Nekojin
    What shop? Oh...Eteri didn’t remember. She just always knew it as ‘Archie’s Shop’ Eteri turned away from from the crow like woman as she sheepishly laughed. <”Ah..haha… I - don’t recall the name. I’m not good with reading. I just know it as Barchie’s shop. I have a friend named Ven who frequents there often and - ah.”> Eteri turned back to Stare who seemed like she was trying to help.

Eteri didn’t feel like she needed help but she appreciated the sentiment. Thing is - she wasn’t sure how to show that appreciation to the other woman. She already tried offering the kenku a soul vial but she wasn’t interested. <”Thank you.”> I said. It was all I really had. I mean… I personally thought that the words didn’t have a lot of bearing they were just words… and to me actions or things spoke louder than that but it felt right to say them to her.

<”I think I will be okay just exploring. Barchies shop is like… a second hand general store. Trades information for things.”> I tapped my lip. <”Come to think of it...he seems to entertain some unsavory people.. oh...Oh but Ven is really, really nice. So is Barchie!”> I quickly added. Stare didn’t seem like the type who liked that sort of thing. Heck, she wouldn’t even let us run out on a bill and get the racist woman fired.

<“If you don't want the help … but you were wandering around for ages,”> the kenku eyed me suspiciously. <“I think you cannot find it.”> She paused. <“I don't meet people of my homeland often. The offer is there. I don't know the name off hand but there is a place I was heading. Close by.”> She took up her sandwich and pecked off a large bite before swallowing it whole. <“We can head there together and maybe the man there can help us find your … Barchie.”> She gave me a big, black stare.

I stared back at her..well...stare...dammit, that was too hard. She’d win every time. I wonder, if she used that to her advantage, like, go into staring contests and then win them every single time. It’d be a good way to make coin. I had to ask her about that later.

Wait..what was she saying?

Oh. <”Oh!”> I exclaimed. <”I’m not doing anything. I can probably tag along. I don’t have much better to do right now. But if I see my friend I’ll go off with him.”>

The crow woman smiled...I think? It was really hard to tell. I only caught it because I was looking at her eyes, and they did that little crinkley thing people did when they smiled. Wow..being kenku must be frustrating. She gave me a nod and looked back to her food. <“That is settled then,”> she said.

I looked back down to my food with distaste, I was hungry...but not hungry enough to eat dried bread, I picked at the meat and ate that part. <”We can still run and not pay…”> I muttered.

The kenku ignored me, and continued to eat.

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    They were out of the café now. Stare had insisted on paying, despite the racist, rude waitress. In her words, it was 'quite unfair if they did not.’ So she had paid with her own money, and not left a tip but rather marched out alongside Eteri.

Now they walked down the street, and the kenku found joy in the sun warming her feathers. It would take little time before her deep black colour soaked up much of the heat and made her feel like a roll of bread in the oven. Sometimes having feathers did not help at all, especially black ones, but today was not a warm day. Rather, it was mild and a chill wind was now sneaking through the streets, but a bright sun was overhead. Stare could use it to her advantage, soaking in the light to patter along dressed only in a tunic as others around her hugged capes and shawls to themselves.

She gestured to the side of the road where the brewer wholesalers she had seen earlier was. With a brief glance to see if the cat girl was still with her she headed over to it, finally after passing it so many times, and looked briefly up and down at the front. Then she walked straight in, shoulders back.

A long, large room, made of dark wood. Mostly dominated by a huge counter that bisected the space by half. Behind it lining the wall were various small barrels stacked on top of one another, with taps set within them. In front of these was a single large man with a large frown and deep set eyes. He was just cleaning a glass with a dirty cloth when Stare marched up to the desk.

“You,” she said. “Greetings. My name is Stare. I represent Ellsmith Business Estates. I will be looking to make business connections but for now …” She looked at him. “Do you know a place called Barchie’s?”

She looked back to Eteri, smiling at her. <“That's the name right?”>

Eteri had her finger out, ready to touch one of the wares on the shelf, she saw Stare and quickly straightened, bringing her hand back to herself.

She turned back to the man and nodded. “Barchies. So?”

But the man seemed to just stare at her. His brow remained low and he made no movement to answer. Stare sighed as she supposed that he was just another racist in this city that was celebrated for its diversity. She pressed her torso against the wood and stared deep, catching him in her stunning eyes.

“Merchant! I am asking you if you know of a place called Barchie’s?”

He was lost. His jaw hung open and he stared back at her surprisingly stupidly. He did nothing but gaze at her … and kept going even as she stopped focusing. Frowning, Stare pulled away and raised a hand to wave it in his face. Usually this did not happen. People did not just freeze as he had just done. Instead they were only lost in fear and shock.

He did nothing and she huffed. “Hello?” she asked. Again, no answer. Only frozen, with a lost look in his eyes.

Folding her arms she decided to switch into aura sight out of habit mostly. She expected to see the normal green aura of a neutral bystander, as most ordinary people were, and this she did see.

What she was surprised by, however, was the dark black squirming thing stuck onto the side of the man’s aura, and thus his soul, that was ugly and like a worm. Rather literally.

In fact … it was like a leech.

GP

Name
    Eteri Yoko
    Race
    Half Human Half Nekojin
    I wasn’t going to touch the - ok I was… I was going to touch the bottle. I just wanted to see what was inside of it, maybe open it, sniff it and taste it. Oh but not steal it or use it. But that woman's look, the way she - no, she’d probably tell me it was wrong to do such a thing.

<”Ahh I wasn’t going to touch that.”>

Stare gestured with a clawed hand for me to come over. I wriggled my nose and approached. She pointed to the man before her. <”Eteri, what do you see?”>

<”Eh?”> I turned to the man. <”Eew..”> His soul was infected. I had seen this before. There were different types of species of these things. <”That is a...ahh...we call it soul leech but I think other people call it different things….”> I pursed my lips and my eyes furrowed as I tried to recall what other names it was known as. <”Uhm...infestation...virus...sim...simbottle? No…”>

<”Symbiote?”> Stare offered.

I nodded. <”Yes! That!”> I wasn’t going to repeat the word. It was foreign and hard enough to say as is. <”Soul weavers run into these sometimes… they aren’t hard to remove if you are a soul seamstress but without knowing what kind it is - well it’s reckless.”> I gave Stare a toothy grin.

<”Good thing that’s what I’m known for!”>

And so I reached out to clasp the man's soul with little to no regard to myself, or to Stare's detriment - those around me.

Stare hissed. <“Be more polite about it,”> her eyes were wrinkled in disgust. <“He's clearly suffering. Don't just …”> She looked at the man and pushed her huge beak closer to his face.

“CAN. YOU. HEAR. ME?” she shouted at him.

The man did not react and she sighed, and gestured back at me. <“Damn. I think I broke him. I guess … go for it, but be gentle.”>

<”Gentle! I will try!”> I didn’t try. I mean, I did -sorta buuuut as I tugged at the soul it didn’t move. The soul leech or Symbiote as Stare called it made it heavier. I tugged nice and gentle, lightly like she asked. <”No go. Pain it is!”> I said as I tugged harder the soul came loose and with it came the screeching little beast. My ears fell back to the flat of my head as it’s shrill cry. <”L-loud…”>

Stare blinked and looked at me as she frowned. <“I said 'gently’,”> she growled over the noise. Her eyes were screwed up in dislike.

<”I tried! That will scream no matter what because we’re disrupting its warm cozy home now..”> I jutted my hip out to the bird, wriggling them till my satchel came to her. <”Open that and get ready to scoop up the leech. I’m going to cut off the infected part.”>

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Stare did not like the way this was going, but she did not like the noise either. Moreover she did not like the fact the man had the symbiote soul. Right now, this really was the only way this was happening and she could not remove souls - only Eteri could. Thus, the situation was forced, and actions already decided.

Shoving her hand into the satchel she pulled out a handful of vials. Her eyes scoured until she saw an empty one and she let the rest fall back into the bag with a light tinkle. Unstopping this one she bared it ready, eyes like daggers on the infecting bastard.

“Go!” she yelled in common over the horrible noise.

Eteri pulled the soul taught with one hand and with her other she shuffled around in her bag for a pair of scissors. She was accurate, and delicate as she placed the scissors into the man's soul, creating a small tear. The symbiote screamed and hissed at her hands as the halfbreed carefully snipped the piece of soul that it was attached to. In a last ditch effort to survive the creature latched out and bit Eteri’s hand. She flinched and gave a pained mewl, but continued her work with a professional and methodical approach. She pulled a few loose threads and the symbiote fell into the vial. Stare snapped it shut.

Eteri had gently stitched it back together. The soul shimmered and began to return to a soft green hue ad she let it go and it wafted back into the man. Stare held up the vial to a keen black eye, staring at it with some intrigue.

<“It's a bit … ugly,” she said, “Like really ugly.”>

Indeed, it had tiny antennae now she saw it and along its body thousands of little feet with nasty claws that had dug into the man's soul's flesh. What was worst though was that they were all different sizes and shapes - some serrated, others just straight-edged knives and they could clearly cause some form of agony if they so desired.

She shook her head with distaste and held out the vial to Eteri. As she did her eyes snapped up to see the merchant beginning to come to his senses.

“Whaaaa’ …”

She sighed.

“Greetings. My name is Stare. I represent Ellsmith Business Estates, which has currently bought the Celestial Brewery.” The man blinked, but then raised a brow. Good. That was a good indication. “Have you heard of a place called Barchies? Its a general store, apparently.”

The merchant gazed back at her a moment before floundering.

“Eh … yeah, yeah. Barchies … there's a general store owned by a guy named Archie if that is what you are looking for?”

GP

Name
    Eteri Yoko
    Race
    Half Human Half Nekojin
    I didn’t exactly want the gross soul leech. The things could live for years without sustenance, and I didn’t want it escaping into my satchel and gobbling up all the souls I had kept away. Still. It might be useful. I could use it to threaten someone, or as a bartering tool.

Maybe someone would buy it from me. I could pretend it was a rare and exotic creature and get a thousand gold. No, ten-thousand gold! I gave Stare a smirk as I shoved the vial deep into the satchel.

She wasn’t looking at me, instead she was conversing with the man. Oh. He healed up quickly. The creature must not have been there for very long. I guess that’s a good thing? I mean - if he had died then all his stuff would have been mine. Err… ours - I probably would have to share it with Stare. Oh well.

“Ah!” I exclaimed as I slammed my hands down on the benchtop, jarring both the man and Stare from their conversation. “Yes! Barchie! That is place! Place Eteri go!”

Stare nodded and looked back to the man. “Could you draw us a map perhaps? Or describe where it is?”

The man blinked before he nodded and said some words and phrases in common that seemed to be full of meaning. At least the kenku nodded as if she understood, but once or twice I saw her frown and ask him to repeat what he said. After a while of this Stare finally nodded and turned to me.

“Right,” she said, “I think I have it. Shall we?” She gestured at the door.

My ears tapered as I stared at the Kenku. She had switched back to tradespeak. I could understand her fine, but it felt...disappointing I couldn’t hear my native tongue anymore. Ah. Oh well!. I gave Stare a nod and followed her out the door.

For a bird, she actually wasn’t half bad. She spoke my language. That was a plus. She wouldn’t let me run out on the bill, ehhh… I suppose it was good to have morals. She gestured me to follow, I had nothing better to do.

<”You...did a good thing back there.”>

I tilted my head at the Kenku’s words. <”Mmm? With the soul leech?”>

<”Symbiote yes. Is- your hand ok?”> Stare glanced down to my swollen hand.

Oh...I lifted up my hand. It...did not look pretty. Where the creature had bitten me there was a mark surrounded by a gray tinge. It was also very swollen. I tried to wiggle my fingers but they didn’t respond. “Mmmmm….” I poked the skin. It felt squishy.

<”I think it has a numbing bite. It should wear off in a few hours. Uhm...maybe. Probably.”>

I gave it a wave and watched my hand flop around in mild amusement, I turned to stare who narrowed her eyes and looked away.

Stare cleared her throat. <”That is not healthy. We are now at your … Barchie’s.”>

Oh! I looked to the store that she had gestured to and my face lit up. <”Yes! Barchie’s store~”> I half skipped over to the window and pressed my face to it to see if Ven was in there. I saw an old man behind the counter who upon seeing me winced then waved. <”That’s Barchie.”>

I turned to look at Stare again. <”I would have found this place eventually. But thank you I think. Maybe.”> It wasn’t the best form of thanks, but I wasn’t good at that sort of thing. Not with words. So instead I stepped in and wrapped my arms around Stare’s slender frame. She stiffened in my grasp.

I stepped away and wrinkled my nose. She felt odd. All feathery. But warm. <”You’re not bad for a Kenku.”>

The kenku was still caught off guard by my hug. Her eyes were wide and she simply stared at me as I smiled and walked off.

I gave her a final wave before ducking into the store, holding my arms out wide. “BARCHIE!” I shouted in delight.

He did not look like he shared my enthusiasm

Ride The Lightning

EXP: 166,794, Level: 17
    Level completed: 83%, EXP required for next Level: 3,206
    Level completed: 83%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,206

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human