View Poll Results: What is Althanas to you?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • A place to write and collaborate with likeminded people

3 13.64%
  • A place that offers a high quality hybrid of writing and roleplaying

13 59.09%
  • A place to unwind with your writing style of choice

1 4.55%
  • Other (please comment)

5 22.73%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Garron View Post
    Was just posting my thoughts, Shin.

A poll is asking the thoughts of the community. Some may agree, others may not. Ultimately your poll was getting the results you were looking for.
    In more ways than one, pal.

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    Sitting here thinking on it, the "quality of writing taking a back seat" thing doesn't really exist on Althanas.

Even if people are pumping out speed threads with fly-by-seat-of-your-posts stuff, they are still gaining a little writing experience by writing with others, reading threads of others, and making mental notes on improvement on some level.

Quality of writing taking a back seat is just ridiculous.
    I'm not sure what you're basing these opinions on, but I'd have to disagree strongly. I've been on Althanas for years and years, and there has always been times when quality of writing takes a back seat, even back in the day when every single completed thread received a full rubric judgment. Every so often there'd be an event that offered 2x EXP or something, and suddenly people who ordinarily scored 65+ would be scoring low 50s because they were churning out threads as fast as possible. The difference is most threads don't get judged now, so trends in quality of writing are less apparent.

And power leveling is not the only reason quality of writing sometimes takes a back seat. Sometimes people just want to blow off steam, or have fun with a unique idea. I'll cite one of my own threads from 3.1 as an example: The Flesh Failures: Empty Orchestra

The above linked thread is the most recent in a string of themed threads I hosted over the years. The purpose of these threads has always just been to mess around and have fun, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that my quality of writing took a back seat to silliness in this thread, and others like it.

To address your other point, if someone is pumping out speed threads or just blowing off steam and being silly, they are by definition not making mental notes for improvement. To make an analogy, you don't get better at baseball by holding a bat any way you like and swinging it around randomly. You get better at baseball by holding the bat properly, and taking a proper stance, and swinging at an appropriate sized ball approaching at an appropriate speed. In other words, to quote and/or paraphrase apparently Vince Lombardi, "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect". This basically just means that in order to see significant improvement in a skill, you need to deliberately try to get better at it, not just participate in it for enjoyment and/or breeze through it as quickly as possible.

For me, Althanas has always been mainly a combination of the first two poll options, with the addition that it has always been a place of learning and teaching, and with a little of the other options thrown in for flavor. When I first came here I was a young teen with literally no concept of how to craft a character, or a story, or properly describe a scene. I remember scoring something like 33/100 on my first ever thread, and the judge was none too kind with his remarks. Now I see Althanas as a place to sharpen my skills and give back to the community through mod work and workshops. I also see it as a place where my quality of writing sometimes takes a back seat to having fun and blowing off steam, or power posting, and I personally didn't feel like Shin was looking down on me for this, or being aggressive or whatever.
    "The breeze did not stir. The stars did not twinkle. The trees did not sway and the brook did not babble.
    For the world did not turn when Am'aleh wept, and a tear had tumbled down her cheek."

Adventurer

EXP: 5,465, Level: 3
    Level completed: 12%, EXP required for next Level: 3,535
    Level completed: 12%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,535

GP

Name
    Camille Arianna Dark
    Anyone want ice cream crumbled with cookies?
    * Gnarloc & Camille* Winner of Best Althanas Couple.

Legend

EXP: 59,606, Level: 10
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next Level: 5,394
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,394

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    I would love some that sounds like a great idea ^_^
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

Viator Mundi

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Breaker View Post
    I'm not sure what you're basing these opinions on, but I'd have to disagree strongly. I've been on Althanas for years and years, and there has always been times when quality of writing takes a back seat, even back in the day when every single completed thread received a full rubric judgment. Every so often there'd be an event that offered 2x EXP or something, and suddenly people who ordinarily scored 65+ would be scoring low 50s because they were churning out threads as fast as possible. The difference is most threads don't get judged now, so trends in quality of writing are less apparent.

And power leveling is not the only reason quality of writing sometimes takes a back seat. Sometimes people just want to blow off steam, or have fun with a unique idea. I'll cite one of my own threads from 3.1 as an example: The Flesh Failures: Empty Orchestra

The above linked thread is the most recent in a string of themed threads I hosted over the years. The purpose of these threads has always just been to mess around and have fun, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that my quality of writing took a back seat to silliness in this thread, and others like it.

To address your other point, if someone is pumping out speed threads or just blowing off steam and being silly, they are by definition not making mental notes for improvement. To make an analogy, you don't get better at baseball by holding a bat any way you like and swinging it around randomly. You get better at baseball by holding the bat properly, and taking a proper stance, and swinging at an appropriate sized ball approaching at an appropriate speed. In other words, to quote and/or paraphrase apparently Vince Lombardi, "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect". This basically just means that in order to see significant improvement in a skill, you need to deliberately try to get better at it, not just participate in it for enjoyment and/or breeze through it as quickly as possible.

For me, Althanas has always been mainly a combination of the first two poll options, with the addition that it has always been a place of learning and teaching, and with a little of the other options thrown in for flavor. When I first came here I was a young teen with literally no concept of how to craft a character, or a story, or properly describe a scene. I remember scoring something like 33/100 on my first ever thread, and the judge was none too kind with his remarks. Now I see Althanas as a place to sharpen my skills and give back to the community through mod work and workshops. I also see it as a place where my quality of writing sometimes takes a back seat to having fun and blowing off steam, or power posting, and I personally didn't feel like Shin was looking down on me for this, or being aggressive or whatever.
    This.

Being someone who remembers those times, and even before Althanas was a thing and we were mulling about in the interactive village, this rings especially true to me. I remember Storm Veritas stringing me out in my first judgment and I never thought I'd end up writing a JC with the guy eight years later.

I didn't (and don't) see how the wording of the third option before I changed it was offensive. If people are taking issue with it then they are really looking too deeply into the wording, looking for meaning that just isn't there. I would never purposely offend or be aggressive to anyone, and those who know me know that.
    Last edited by Shinsou Vaan Osiris; 01-03-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Innocence & Instincts

EXP: 29,359, Level: 7
    Level completed: 30%, EXP required for next Level: 5,641
    Level completed: 30%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,641

GP

Name
    Black Shadow
    Race
    Human
    Althanas is all of these things. You come here to collaborate with other people and their writings, to have fun doing so. Yet at the same time Althanas allows you to develop your skills as a writer, and to develop your writing style.

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    We could debate this until our fingers go numb.

How do you think we improved our writing back in the day before finding Althanas? We actually did the writing, collaborated with other writers (preferably more talented), and read the stories of others. Albeit, the improvement was extremely slow, but still there. Even if little by little.

I agree fully the detailed feedback and the unique rubric helps immensely with writing improvement. I don't deny that.

Althanas hit me like a brick at first, when receiving detailed and honest feedback. I found out, in the years before, I did only learn little. But, I can't say those years before taught me nothing at all.
    Last edited by Garron; 01-03-2018 at 05:23 PM.
    "My life is simple, my food is plain, and my quarters are uncluttered. In all things, I have sought clarity. I face the troubles and problems of life and death willingly. Virtue, integrity and courage are my priorities. I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed."

Ride The Lightning

EXP: 166,794, Level: 17
    Level completed: 83%, EXP required for next Level: 3,206
    Level completed: 83%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,206

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Breaker hit the nail on the head. When I first came here in 2007 or 2008 Althanas was first and foremost a "writing workshop"; a game that lied under a place where people could go and get BETTER at writing. For me, it burned like hell at first, because better writers than me pointed out things I was doing wrong and my score reflected elements of laziness and ignorance. I learned more about editing effort, writing styles, mistakes I was making, and got better. I still have an awful lot to learn.

Other people use the site for different means, and that's fine too. I do wish that more people submitted judgments to continue to improve as writers rather than just accelerate the in character development of their accounts, but I've learned to live and let live there. By allowing both options, the community is probably stronger as a whole.

Administrator

EXP: 87,404, Level: 12
    Level completed: 81%, EXP required for next Level: 2,596
    Level completed: 81%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,596

GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroke
    Race
    Human
    Thank god, I didn't word this poll. Y'all might have pitchforks and molotovs outside. Interesting poll idea. Nice to see some variety in who voted for what as well.

I personally remember Althanas as that elitist site. That was a time where PGs required certain score metrics to join. Then again, it was also infinitely easier to net an 80 than today. Frankly, I'm glad to see us pull away from that mentality a bit. Even though we're starting to adapt a more casual writing atmosphere, I feel the caliber of our members still drive personal expectations toward improvement rather than nonsensical storytelling.

I feel that at the present, we have a balanced representation of writing styles. Only excluding the bare bones "chat style" role play. Which, can be quite wild and problematic. Do you remember AOL RP chat rooms? I do, and no quantity of liquor can make it go away.

Viator Mundi

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    We could debate this until our fingers go numb.

How do you think we improved our writing back in the day before finding Althanas? We actually did the writing, collaborated with other writers (preferably more talented), and read the stories of others. Albeit, the improvement was extremely slow, but still there. Even if little by little.

I agree fully the detailed feedback and the unique rubric helps immensely with writing improvement. I don't deny that.

Althanas hit me like a brick at first, when receiving detailed and honest feedback. I found out, in the years before, I did only learn little. But, I can't say those years before taught me nothing at all.
    I agree with this a million, zillion percent. You, right there, listed the ingredients for everything right with Althanas. But do you know where it has lost its way?

When members can come on and make 8/10 threads submitted just smut threads, with little to no intention of achieving anything your post nails (there is one in particular I can actually back this statistic up with).

When the Althies are nominated and only 3/10 people can name a thread for best quest or best battle in a year that had three very solid JC's, the cream of this website. As a member of staff who pours hours into reading people's work, and trying to give them comprehensive, meaningful advice, do you know how much that pisses me off? I can spend up to five hours at a time reading, appraising and helping for it to lead to this: a situation where people would just rather submit a sexually orientated thread to a workshop than write something worthwhile with character development, or read someone's hard work and give them the credit they deserve.

I have become seriously disillusioned with the direction this place is headed. I know I am not alone. If that lands me in hot water, so be it. I miss the days where writers would come here and weave great stories, even if the quality wasn't amazing.

You know what? Pav is a standout example of someone I adore on here. In the last couple of judgments I did for him, I have seen massive passion and improvement from the guy. I used to crucify the guy and I felt like shit for it because he was always giving 110%, but right now I look at him as THE example of where this site should be looking to head. Improvement, smiling all the time while doing it. That is where we should be and we're light years away while people are workshopping blowjob threads and it is being accepted as the norm and even applauded in some quarters.

Fuck knows how we are going to put a tournament together this year or any future year unless its a hentai fanfic competition.

I love this place. I was involved on an emotional level when my best mate in school was commissioned to make the continent that was come to be known as Salvar back in 2001. So I have a very heavy heart when I say what I say. But it needs to be said.
    Last edited by Shinsou Vaan Osiris; 01-03-2018 at 05:48 PM.