“Twelve hours or so, roughly. Give or take a few minutes.” Twelve hours, where I was seriously considering going to Philomel and asking her to end me because I had clearly become a monster, willing to just kill anyone who asked. Nine hours since the fire had died, leaving me in the cold and dark as night rolled over, and I ignored everything but waiting for the sound of movement in the tent. She had told me, twelve hours and she would be fine - and when my internal clock had ticked over, I had begun to worry. But - but she was awake. Staring at me as I stood in the tent.

“And I'm - feeling relieved. I was beginning to doubt your words before.” Fucking - wait. What the hell had she said after the fact that she would be fine after twelve hours? ‘Lovely, lovely -’ no. No I doubt she actually meant that. Probably part of a plea to be released from her pain. Despite that, my eyes flickered across her form, along the smooth lines of her body that she was hiding beneath my blanket.

She blinked. “So I did ask you.” She smiled softly. “Thank you Hunter. Not many would believe me or trust themselves enough. Or me,” she pulled up her cover a little more, and then relaxed. “Thank you for the food as well. And the lend of your tent.”

I swallowed, and nodded. “Yes. You asked me to kill you, and told me it would be twelve hours before you woke up again, and -” I broke off and turned around, looking away from her. I did not need her seeing my confusion, or my arousal. Because it was clear she didn't actually remember. So it didn't matter. “And you're welcome to stay in here a bit longer. I'll go out and get the fire going again, you're likely to be hungry after - reviving.” I paused a moment at the door flap to see if she said anything, looking over my shoulder at her.

She was smiling with a strange, excited look, her eyes on me, but when she saw I could see her she glanced away fast. “The coat I leant you is being used - was being used, as your pillow.” I cleared my throat and walked out of the tent.

Once I was outside I let out my breath. She was alive and well. She looked healthier than she had when she went to bed - there were no more signs of the faint exhaustion that I had missed before. That was a relief. I moved over to the fire and started stirring up the embers, bringing weakly warm coals to the surface from under the ash. Then I went into the trees to start gathering up wood to serve as fuel for a new fire.

Sweet moon what had that smile been about though. It had promised unspoken things, of - excitement and anticipation. I don't think I have ever had someone look at me that way, like I was - exactly what they wanted in that moment. Not in this lifetime at least. Philomel had been the closest, but she'd needed, wanted a friend more than anything else. The look in Vixen’s eyes was not that look. Hell, I didn't know what it was.

Out in the woods I shook off the tumult of thoughts. I - there was no nearby danger, I had killed or run off any dangerous beasts in the area. But still, it was the woods and accidents could happen. I'd heal, but I didn't want Vixen to think I had just walked off. I headed to check the traps I had set before I found the wolf trail. Luck - I had some fresh quail to use. I drove my dagger into the side of the struggling bird’s neck and sliced down, letting its blood spill across my hands. When I was sure it was dead, I undid my trap and headed back to the cap, a bundle of wood under one arm and the carcass held in my other hand.