strong mature content.
I was sitting in an inn, in Radasanth. For once, I wasn't being a brooding bastard, hiding in a corner and eavesdropping on the people around me - no, I was actually there to eat.

It had been a few days since I was ‘hired’ by Scarlet, and I had so far heard nothing from the redhead woman. So I resumed my wanderings, drifting across the countries, listening out for rumors of dangerous creatures that were plaguing the land. I had returned to Corone to hunt down a bear that had been attacking outlying farms, and had just ended up returning to Radasanth after ending the Beast that was running rampant. I hadn't figured out just why the bear had begun attacking - there was no reason for it to have gone mad like it did. I was intending on exploring further, but my body demanded food that wasn't bear meat. And I was close enough to the city to tolerate the trek in.

Which led to now. I had been sitting, quietly eating, when a tall, leggy black-haired woman pushed in. She was wearing brigandine armor and had a short, curved blade hanging from one hip. A scar ran down the right side of her face, looking like it had been patched up in a hurry. Sharp green eyes scanned the crowd and it looked like she was about to turn around and leave - when she did a double take, her gaze fastening onto me. Well. Hell. I pushed my plate aside as the woman hurried over to me, pushing people aside.

“You're… You’re him, right? The Huntsman that - that saved the little princess.” For such an imposing woman, her voice was surprisingly soft, almost hesitant. I tilted my head. There was only one person I had heard referred to as ‘Princess’ any time recently. Philomel. Then, was the little princess Celandine? I gave a slow nod.

“If you mean the girl who went wandering when she should not have, yes.” An oblique reference, in case I was wrong. Her eyes widened, and hope filled them.

“Oh thank Drys. I've been looking for you for a week.” She fumbled in a bag at her hip - then pulled out an envelope sealed it a waxy sigil of a lily over a goat’s head. I took it, carefully opening the seal and flipping out the letter. My eyes scanned down, rapidly reading to make sure this wasn't a case of mistaken identity.

“The Huntsman,” it read. “My life is a complicated one. I have lived and seen death many times in my life. I have fought wars and have led too many funerals. My daughter's near death was too close though this time.
Our association began ill, and I wish to make amends. If you would come back with the person who delivered this letter to you, I would be grateful. If you do not wish to come, that is entirely up to you. I do not hold any power over you anymore.
Philomel van der Aart.”.

Well. It certainly was meant for me. I blinked, slowly. “Please, sit.” The raven-haired woman gave a blink, and moved into the chair across from me as I looked down.

I stared at the letter for a long, long few moments. My left arm throbbed a bit as I reread the letter for the fourth time. She wished to make amends? That was - that was unnecessary. In fact, it was entirely unnecessary. She had hunted me, and had won. There was no need to make amends for that. My life had been hers to do with as she pleased. Yes, I had been upset about being taken away from my homeland, from my family - but now…

Now I knew more. Now I knew that my memories of a happy family raising me to be what I was were false. I crumpled the letter in my hands up. Truthfully, I should probably go to Philomel so I could thank her. If she hadn't taken me away from Alerar, I would never have even known the truth. I… I let out a slow, steady sigh.

“Let me finish my meal, and we can depart immediately. I have no hunts at the moment.” The woman sagged in relief. She said she'd been looking for me for a week - I wondered just how long ago she'd actually been sent to look for me. No matter, she'd found me now.

The woman ordered a drink and quietly sipped at it while I finished my meal. Despite her appearance she seemed rather reticent and shy. Until that is, a passing man let his hand drift across her shoulders and the back of her neck. Then her blade was out, the tip dangerously close to his crotch. “Do not touch me.” The man pulled back, looking rather like he'd grabbed an angry snake, and hurried away. She returned her sword to its sheath. “I'm sorry you had to see that. So many of them want to look with their hands.” I waved off her apology, much like I intended to do with the Faun’s.

“It is a failing of many of both genders. So. I've finished - shall we depart?” she looked rather relieved as she stood up and moved over to pay for her drink, then met me at the door. She was only a bit shorter than I was a few inches at most, and she was slim and trim. A fighter, honed. “Lead the way.” She nodded, and wet set off.