PDA

View Full Version : So Far Away

Lavinian Ambition
01-02-08, 01:35 AM
(Solo)

He sleeps, recovering the strength he spent in life on fighting the corruption within him. Each day he grows stronger, better, more efficient in combating the demons that never gave him respite. Each day he steps closer to awakening the Seven. When this happens, the Traitors War begins anew, and the world will give pause, for its very fate will rely on that fateful outcome.

Rest young Magi, your work is not finished. Rest until you can begin your life anew. In the meantime, know that those you loved have grown and aged. Do not be afraid, for they do not know you are not dead. Still, they shall rejoice upon seeing their friend, not tainted or embittered. Sleep, and know you are safe, and for once, you matter.

A figure in robes stood before a body, the stomach had a hole in the shirt which revealed the cause of death, a hole extended through the body revealing the man’s spine, crushed in a heartbeat by a titan. The resting figure while looking at piece seemed to scream out the agony of death. The hand stretched forth as arcane mutterings began. Finally a command was issued;

“You’re job is not finished yet my son, you still have work to do child…”

The body convulsed as the spine began to reattach morbidly, first the nerves, then the bone itself fusing together. The holes that tore through him, the shattered bones, and numerous cuts sealed before the back arched and the breath of life began to issue forth from its lips. It remained silent and still, its chest heaving up and down as the hooded man smiled, and then turned to go.

“Arise puppet, you have work to complete, do not dally…retrieve your toys…”

Lavinian Ambition
01-02-08, 01:35 AM
With a gasp and a cry he sat up on the bed clutching his head tightly. His labored breath quickly brought to normal as the crimson locks of hair fell between his fingers. As he closed his eyes he couldn’t help but feel something not quite right. The dream was so vivid so real, why on earth would he be having such a dream, about a dead man no less? Seth Dahlios hadn’t been seen in years. Even those closest to the thief believed him dead.

As he looked around the darkness of the room he sighed as he lit a match looking for the candle by his bed. Quickly lighting it and shaking the match out, he rubbed his eyes cleaning out the last bits of sleep and fatigue. Looking about once more he saw the desk that each thief was given, the chair, the dresser and nightstand with a bed. While most thieves kept their room tidy, his was a mess, clothes tossed about in a disorderly way. His satchel was hanging from a hook by the door with his cloak, the only things he religiously kept clean, if only because it was a pain in the ass to find them in the clutter.

Knowing better than to try and sleep after the dream he sighed starting to leave the bed. It has been similar to many such dreams, all of events he’d rather not recall. He felt so; awkward after seeing them, almost as if he was privy to knowledge he didn’t want. It haunted him in his dreams, and oftentimes in his life in general. Too often he would be talking to someone and get those dreams, telling him things.

Pulling on clothes for the new day he knew he would have to visit his sister. She was starting to get worried and asking around for him, and so he would have to assuage the doubt. For now though, he was hungry and hoping the cafeteria was open. Grabbing his cloak and his dagger belt he moved out into the hallway leaving his room a mess as usual. Moving down the halls he greeted those he saw on his way to food satchel slung over shoulder and belt over the other. His cloak resting in his hand as he looked almost as disorganized as anything else he owned.

Moving into a small line of bandits equally famished for the day to begin he grabbed his food and sat down in peace. It wasn’t that he didn’t have friends in the guild of thieves, merely that none were about. Many of them were the older folks, almost as if he felt a kinship to those before his time, rather than the younger ones that would often form up groups and go out arrogantly stealing for themselves.

Finishing his breakfast he sighed as he stretched getting ready to go out above ground for the day.

Lavinian Ambition
01-02-08, 01:37 AM
Serenity moved about once again set on her mission. As she moved through the realm of Althanas she could only hope to find a glimpse of her brother. Asking around the local Taverns hadn’t said much other than he was a thief and a traitor. However she wasn’t the type to believe that Jared had turned his back on her. He was the big brother, and she was the little sister, he would protect her without a second thought. And so, when the problem arose, she tried to find him as soon as she could.

Pushing forward she made it through the crowds before she thought she saw something. A glimpse of red hair a hidden smile, she looked for the source only to see many hooded faces that day. Growling she muttered, “Hide and seek bro? I never expected…”

As she moved about she moved into an alleyway before she heard form behind her, “You know a young girl going into a dark alley, what ever would mother think?”

She turned around hoping that it was Jared, only to see it wasn’t him. No, it was someone else, someone far more lecherous. As Serenity backed up the man moved into the alleyway. Much like many alley’s this one had a wall at the back, and when her back met it’s the man laughed, “Little girls like you make fine pleasure slaves. I hope you don’t mind if I break you in myself…”

“Back off! Don’t come any closer…”

“Too late missy, you backed your self into a wall, now shut up and play nice, or I get rough…”

“No, please!” The cry was almost mute as the man reached out for her before the sounds of boot steps could be heard. The quickened as they headed towards her she could almost hear the strings of curses as the sounds of metal upon metal rang through the alleyway. As the man turned to face the adversary she moved swiftly out from behind him to see an enraged cloaked man sending out a kick that not only impacted with the man’s chest, but sent him reeling into the wall. As he growled he swung a punch at the cloaked figure who moved under it as slashed through the material of the man’s shirt and drawing blood.

It was then the terse voice cut through, “Leave, NOW!”

She didn’t even bother to argue she moved swiftly as the man tried to back off, the brute going at him with relentless fury. Soon however the cloaked figure launched a vicious kick that sent the man to his knees as tears left him, clutching the private parts of himself in agony. Moving swiftly the cloaked man ran and grabbed Serenity by her arm roughly pulling her away form the would-be slaver.

“Hold on!” She cried as the figure continued to pull her until they ducked into a tavern moving swiftly until they were hiding in a room. Closing the door behind him he held it shut for a moment almost afraid of someone barging in as she spoke again, “I don’t know who you are, but if you think I’m going to just do whatever you say because you saved me, you got another thing coming!”

“Then how about because you’re my sister and it would behoove you to listen to big brother?” The man said pulling down his cloak. The crimson locks were released from their confines as she gasped seeing the grey eyes of her brother. Jared Cesarino, had grown so much in the time she had missed him.

Lavinian Ambition
01-02-08, 01:41 AM
Jared was still calming down from the close call with his sister as he collapsed in his chair. Serenity however seemed to be in shock as she looked at her brother with worried eyes. Looking at him she moved suddenly hugging him tightly as she whispered, “I missed you so much big brother, I thought you were gone forever…”

“You know me Serenity, tough as nails,” He said as he wrapped his arms back returning the hug. Serenity just held onto him as the emotions from the alleyway finally made their way to the surface.

Softly she began crying into his shoulder as she said, “I’m so sorry I’m a klutz brother. I should have known better than to go into a dark alleyway alone, but, I had to see you. I couldn’t stand the rumors anymore. Some said you were a traitor, a thief. Others said you had left town…”

“I know, I know, but that’s still no reason to go out looking for me after dark. You still need to learn how to fight if you’re going to do that,” Jared said softly.

“Dad and Mother miss you Jared, they said you haven’t used your bed in ages. Where have you been?”

“Training, a lot of training, even went to Radasanth for a bit,” Jared replied as he gently pushed her off his chest.

She looked up at him tearfully as she sniffled and whimpered, “You left Lavinya?”

Jared chuckled; she was so curious, and so carefree. His sister truly was deserving of the love and attention she got. Still, some of it was bad, as the fight with the thug implied. Gently cupping her cheek he whispered, “You know, you definitely have been growing up, but you gotta stop crying sis. No man is going to take a cry baby for his bride…”

She slapped his shoulder as she whispered softly, “I’m not a cry baby!” She then wiped the tears from her eyes as Jared chuckled. Slapping his shoulder he stopped, knowing that she was truly scared. The thug had rattled her, especially with his words. Slavery was a huge thing in Lavinya, but to see a slaver in the city was an oddity. Possibly just one dropping off a shipment, but they usually left afterwards, the town not exactly treating them well.

“We should get you home; I don’t think he’ll come after you with me in tow…” Jared whispered.

“Will you stay the night at least?”

“Maybe, but you have to promise not to come looking for me again. If you want to find me, just leave a note on your bed stand, I’ll leave you one in the morning. That way you will know where to go to find me, alright?”

“You’re really a thief aren’t you?”

Jared closed his eyes and sighed. He had told her before, but he guessed it only now was clicking in her mind. The ring hung on a chain between them as she gently batted it playfully, waiting for his answer. As he opened his eyes he looked deeply into his sister’s grey eyes and spoke, “Yes, the Guild has a vested interest in me, but what for I know nothing about…”

“Are you being hunted Jared? Do the guards know yet?” She asked fear creeping back into her voice.

“No, that’s why I keep my hood up, so they don’t get to know. I’m being smart, I’m keeping the promise not to get myself killed,” He said softly.

She nodded accepting it before she said softly, “I won’t tell Mom and Dad, no need to scare them.”

“Much appreciated,” Jared said as they moved for the door.

Lavinian Ambition
03-11-08, 02:56 AM
They moved through the streets, as he slipped the dagger belt from his waist. The belt moved into his backpack as he sighed softly. Serenity walked beside him in solemn silence as they moved through the familiar suburbs of Lavinya. The cold air made everything a bit chillier than normal; winter was trying to hold onto its tenuous grip it seemed. As he noticed Serenity shiver he took off his cloak and threw it about her shoulders. She looked at him momentarily before she nodded softly, "Thank you brother."

"You're welcome," Was the soft reply. It had been a rough day on the fourteen year old girl. This much he was certain of. As they finally made it towards the section of town he had called home he sighed, standing in the street as he took it all in again. Serenity looked at him worriedly as he did so.

The shacks, if they could have been called that, were hovels. Some held cast iron stoves, but most of them, where merely boards slapped together to hold out the cold. Most of the hovels were one room shanties that barely kept the cold at bay, as the people inside huddled for warmth. Still, it was home, this much was certain, and Jared took a bit of pride in knowing that he had grown up here. As he moved through the streets again, Serenity loosely held his hand.

Nothing reminded him more of why he had become a thief than the slums of Lavinya. One could argue thievery was wrong; they could point out every morale reason for it. In the end, it came down to one thing; work seldom kept him warm, and put food on the table. Work, forced him to bow knee to people who would have just as soon seen him hung from a gallows than give him a coin. Work was tantamount to slavery in Lavinya. As they moved they finally rounded the corner of the hovel that had been the Cesarino family home.

The shanty was a bit more than most hovels, at least allowing for a window or two. The shutters to the thing were barely more than a couple of boards that barely swung the rejects of a tavern that his mother had managed to save. They covered the holes that had formed in the wood, way back when. The door was an actual door, possibly from another inn that had termite problems, so worn was the wood. It had hardly stood up to the elements, but it kept the wind out, and therefore was acceptable to the poor family.

Serenity moved forward excitedly as she called out, "Mom Dad Jared's here!"

Jared could hardly believe he had lived in this place; so much had his mind changed. He wasn't sure if he could accept that his family lived in such a cesspit, but he steeled his courage as he entered his ancestral home. As dilapidated as it was, it was a home to the residents, who sought to eek out a living. Entering he saw a few candles lit, the wax having been on discount as it had been accidentally poured without fragrance, and a nobleman had tossed them out. Free like most of the knickknacks that marked the place. He could see a mismatched spice shaker set upon a table, perhaps one of the newer acquisitions. Perhaps his father had bought the rain barrel from another business, but he didn't care, the fact was, it was holding another door aloft. It almost sickened him to see his family in such poverty.

It did sicken him to think that a few years ago; he would have considered the table a good replacement. The old table had been held together by nails and a prayer, and one more than one occasion had dinner been cut short by a broken leg. There was a curtain, which modestly hid Serenity's bedroom. It had originally been his parent's, but when Serenity had been born, they had given it to her, to protect her privacy. It made sense in hind sight even though it had given rise to more than a couple of arguments about who mother and father had loved more.

A rug covered a bit of dirt, as a couple of mattresses were laid out ready for their occupants to reclaim them. They were closer to the iron pot stove, which had a bright orange glow emanating from it. That stove had meant the life and death of this family, who would have been little better than sheep without it. The indignity they would have endured would have been tremendous, were it not for that stove. However, these were all afterthoughts to the two people who stood from rickety chairs probably salvaged from the trash heaps yet again.

The first was his father, red haired and grey eyes like much of the Cesarino clan. He wore thick clothes, woolen and leather, much like Jared. When he saw his son a warm smile issued across his face. He had grown a red beard in the time since Jared had last seen him, full and thick it was probably for the winter. Moving close they clasped hands much like old friends as Jared returned the smile. Soon the simple gesture was not enough and they hugged tightly as Jared sighed and said, "Good to see you in great health Father."

"I could say the same thing boy!" His dad replied jovially. He clapped his son on his back as they heard a rather impatient throat clearing. They soon turned to see his mother, and perhaps the only woman in his life he loved more than Kyo and previously Kid.

Time had been hard on the once proud woman that had been Karla Cesarino. Her once brilliant crimson hair had begun to turn a snowy white. Her face was creased with wrinkles that Jared had not seen before. They looked more like frown marks than anything, and he felt guilty, thinking that perhaps he had been the one to cause them. However, she was smiling then as she said in a rather sardonic matter, "Never write, never visit, what am I to think Jared? Are you just avoiding your dear old Mother?"

As good as Serenity was at the guilt trip, he had to admit she had a long way to come before she could even stand in her mother's shadow. As he let a soft smile cross his face he said rather timidly, "No mother, just been busy-"

Oh how he had stepped in it, "Too busy to even visit your mother. Well dear me, it must be important if your own mother cannot merit one iota of time. I must be unimportant compared to whatever you're doing..."

He winced at those words even as he heard a soft chuckle coming from his father beside him. His father often took private joy in knowing that no matter what his children had become, they would always be children to their mother. He further enjoyed seeing them squirm on a hook, as she grilled them for the answers she'd want. It had been a past time where he would coach his wife on how to get more grief from her children.

"No Mother you aren't, I'm merely a stupid boy," He replied finally as he managed to find his voice amidst the sea of guilt he found himself drowning in.

"A stupid boy who hasn’t been eating, come, I'll make you something quick before bed," She said as she walked up and hugged him tightly kissing his cheek. He hugged her back as he sighed, smiling. He was after all home.

"Thank you mom, I love you too," He said earnestly.