PDA

View Full Version : And Then Came the Dawn

MoonRunner
01-09-08, 03:40 PM
((Closed))

From the balcony off of the main room of their residence, Karyna O’Feargail watched the sun rise from over the harbor below. Breathing in the crisp morning air, she, again, felt the tug. It had started to haunt her every move only a couple years ago. Because of it, she had become restless and dissatisfied with her life here at Talmhaidh, the port city of Dheathain.

Once she was old enough, Karyna started to help her mother with their business: evaluating, buying, and selling luxury and exotic goods. About a year and a half a go, Karyna’s mother had given the responsibility of selecting new products from the traveling merchants who entered the city daily. The things that she heard and saw just made the tug stronger. There were greater and better things out there, and she wanted to be apart of them.

Turning, Karyna entered her home, ready to head down to the harbor where the merchants would be getting ready to unload their goods. Her mother was at their circular dinning table, pouring over the account and inventory books. Leaning over to give her mother a quick hug good-bye, Karyna grabbed a roll and a piece of fruit from the birch wood table for her breakfast. While small, their home was a comfortable one, filled with treasures from around the world. After pulling on her knee-high leather boots and making sure her lightly spun linen tunic and chocolate brown breeches were presentable, Karyna descended down the stairs into the empty but cluttered shop below.

Careful not to knock anything over, Karyna went over to the cherry wood register desk. From one of its immense cupboards, she withdrew a small sack of coins, a quill with ink inserted into its center, and a notebook to record her purchases and findings. The money pouch she hid on her person, the quill and note book she slipped into a small bag attached to the leather belt at her waist.

Moments later, she quickly met with her close friend and companion, the large silver-grey wolf Kyprith, at one of the large public fountains where the locals could gather to cool off or grab a drink before rushing off to business. While few people in the city liked his presence, it was tolerated because he never caused any harm and oft intimidated gang members.

And how was yer night, Kyp? Karyna asked the wolf through their mental think as she sat on the side of the mountain.

His alert, silver-blue eyes danced with the reply. Splendid, there is a large group of daring and quick ground moles inland some that made good sport.

Kyprith licked his chops, showing his brilliantly white canines before adding, And a good meal.

With a smile and a scratch behind the ear, Karyna asked if he scented anything unusual or special from the docks on his way to the plaza they almost always met at before it filled with the morning bustle. He scoffed at the same old scents but mentioned hearing a story about a red head and a mutant fighting and beating the Spider Monkey Gang, even killing the Draconian leader. Shrugging, Karyna pushed it out of her mind. The Spider Moneys were too strong, and many had tried to kill that Draconian; Talmhaidh couldn’t be rid of them that easily.

Alright then, we’ll see if anyone has set up early in the Bazaar before heading down tae the docks. Karyna said, standing; within moments they were at the Baazar and quietly exploring the sights, sounds, and scents that were starting to fill the air.

Karuka
01-09-08, 04:04 PM
Karuka Tida had slept in that morning, and was rather surprised to find herself stretching out in a well-lit room. She sighed. The long training session and fighting from the day before had exhausted her, but she supposed it could have been a lot worse. She'd gotten away with a couple of cuts and bruises. Most of the gang had either been killed or blown to smithereens.

She was glad that the threat to the merchants was gone, though. Maybe the old grandfather who sold potatoes would look less careworn today. Maybe the livid, throbbing bruises which covered her body would feel better when she saw the relief on the faces of the merchants.

What am I even going to do today?

The red-head shrugged. It didn't really matter if she just wandered around Talmhaidh for the next few days. She didn't have anything to do or anywhere to be. It would be nice to just have a calm few days where nothing was expected of her. She'd been in too many adventures lately.

Unable to sit still for much longer than to mull over her choices, though, she stood up, pulling on her vlince pants and shirt before grabbing her boots and staff. She put a handful of coins into a little bag before going down to the inn's tavern, locking her door behind her.

It was too early for her to feel really hungry, or maybe she was still a little groggy from the night before. It didn't matter, though. There was food to be had elsewhere, and money to have it with.

Going outside, she took a few aimless twists and turns before winding back at the docks, where the previous night's fight had taken place. Corpses and body parts had been carted away, as had the survivors, but the lingered the stench of blood and brimstone. As far as she could tell, the rumors were already circulating about the fate of the gang that had been holding the merchants in terror for the past few months, but no one knew who had done it. That was just fine by Karuka; she would be perfectly content to not be known to anyone for any such thing. That was how one made enemies.

She shook her head. It had been a horrid scene to participate in. But if the merchant from last night and her own visions were to be believed, everything was for the best this way.

How different it looks in the daytime, she thought, rubbing the underside of the plynt bracelet that Topper Headon, as he'd called himself, had given to her as a parting gift.

How different everything seems, come the dawn.

MoonRunner
01-09-08, 09:32 PM
Not too impressed with the selection of goods offered so far, Karyna leans against a wall where she had a good view of the two main gateways to the Bazaar: one facing the docks, the other leading to the large road that connected most of Dheathain. This way she could observe who came in, and with what, while she finished her breakfast. Loving the bright, warm sun that had fully risen, Kyprith stretched out on the ground at her feet for a quick siesta. A few of the newcomers to Talmhaidh shot curious gazes our way, something both of them were used to.

Once finished with the breakfast, Karyna sighed. Today was going to be a slow one. She would be lucky if she would be able find anything worth her mother selling. So, she got up, stepped over Kyprith, and headed on her way to the docks. Kyprith growled quietly before leaping to his feet and trotting to catch up with her.

As they neared the beach, Kyprith huffed, testing the air. With little more than the passing thought about an interesting scent, he dashed off into the sand. Sniffing around a bit, he decided it was a mixture of Human and Draconian blood with some other strange scent. With that decided and the new scent filled away, he halted facing the sea as if frozen. He then play-pounced at one of the incoming waves before continuing to splash around in the surf. Rolling her eyes at how enthusiastic he was about some scent, which would probably turn out to be a piece of sea weed, Karyna scanned the beach as she continued on her way to the docks. There she saw a slightly battered, young, red-haired woman fingering a bracelet staring at something past the next coming of the dawn.

She faintly smells of that scent and the blood as well.

Kyprith’s though came as he stepped out of the surf looking like he had lost too much weight. He then shook himself with such a force that a small kid in the arms of its nurse pointed at him and said “Lookie! Bear!”

Karyna grinned and had to try to keep from laughing out loud at his reaction. He had crouched low with an almost silent snarl; then, realizing that there wasn’t a bear around, stood up and tried to act like nothing had happened.

Don’t worry, Karyna said, grinning at him, The babe was talking ‘bout ye.

I knew that. He huffed before sitting and scratching at an ear with a forepaw.

Karuka
01-11-08, 08:20 PM
Karuka couldn't help but grin at the shaggy wolf playing in the waves. Everything seemed so much brighter and cleaner than the night before. The people, too, were smiling more and moving as though liberated as merchant told customer and customer told merchant the now-confirmed rumor that the Spider-Monkeys were gone, decimated. An aura of peace flowed around, and Karuka felt better about the lives she'd taken the previous night.

She'd feel even better if she managed to keep it a secret that she was one of the parties responsible. Vigilantes were oft wanted both by criminals and the law alike. She knew that it wasn't likely, though. Too many people had seen the scuffles in the street and in the Airgead Cuach tavern.

For now, at least, it was peaceful, and she sat down not far from another young red-headed girl who also seemed to be enjoying the morning - even though it seemed like she had business there.

"How better everyone seems after a good hard rain. The air is clearer, the sea is brighter...and the people calmer, like a storm has broken."

She'd said it to the girl, partially trying to see if she could offer information as to what, exactly, had been done by the demolition of the street gang from the night before. But only partially. She also found that it was nice to sit and talk to someone, and she far too often rushed around like she hadn't the time.

She wondered how long her peace would last, though. She could see wary and respectful eyes being turned her way, and could see people murmuring while they looked at her. If she wasn't mistaken, she could even see what looked to be some sort of official talking to various people and making his way slowly over to her.

MoonRunner
01-12-08, 09:31 AM
((bunny approved))

Karyna, slightly surprised by the sound of a human voice nearby, looked at the red-head perched on a bench made of drift wood. This is when she noticed the livid bruise of the other woman’s cheek, and thought: She doesn’t look like a woman who would let a man beat her about; I wonder how she got that.

“Aye, though this beach is nae in its usual pristine shape. The people who live nearby have the tendency tae keep it nice, but it looks like there are some remnants o’ a scuffle left.”

Karyna would have introduced herself, but one of the councilmen of the city approached the other woman and said in an attempt at a booming voice, “The city of Talmhaidh would like to thank you again for the service you have provided to its good citizens by ridding these streets of an unlawful plague.”

Now what does this pompous culo* want, Kyprith thought to Karyna, who mentally shrugged, He should stop talking with flowers** and get tae the point.

It’s part of the job tae sound better than the rest o’ us, Karyna replied, noticing that the other woman had sighed as the councilmen went on with his speech.

“The Spider-Moneys have been a scar upon this city for many years and grown stronger, until the citizens had all but despaired of their removal. We regret to have to ask another favor of you on the behalf of the city of Donnalaich.”

The other red head started to voice a refusal, but the official continued on, barely taking the time to breathe. Kyprith walked up and sat in the sand slightly in front of Karyna, watching the scene with avid interest.

“They have recently been victimized by a rash of unsolved thefts that have been linked to a murder and some kidnappings of innocent citizens. They have sent messengers to nearby cities, pleading for help for there best and brightest law enforcement officials are baffled by the mystery. Our city council would love to send help, but our law enforcement has been severely weakened by the actions of the late Spider Monkeys. Would you be willing to lend a hand? The council is willing to provide any supplies needed and pay you on successful completion of the mission.”

This is it, Karyna thought, This is my chance.

*Culo - the vulgar name for a burro - Spanish (Earth) - a curse word commonly used in the area.
**Kyprith has the tendancy not to use the same verbage that is expected. Flowers in this phrase means flourishes.

Karuka
01-12-08, 03:24 PM
"I...I...but...no...I didn't...I wasn't..."

Half-baked denials spurted from Karuka's mouth, but the official took no notice of her. If she succeeded at this particular task, she'd be an official heroine. If not, she would be a vigilante who had been given a chance to be legitimate. Either way, the government won about her. Maybe it even got itself another rash of crimes nipped in the bud without risking its own officers.

"Wonderful!" He said, handing her a sheet of paper with a flourish. "You'll leave this afternoon. Horses will be provided at this stable for you and for whomever you choose to take with you. Good luck, lassie."

Karuka sighed as he left, slumping and putting her head in her hands. She'd stepped into dangerous situations of her own will, had things happen to her that made her fight to defend herself and other people from danger, but never had anyone come up and forced one upon her. Suddenly the sun seemed to shine less brightly, the air seemed heavier, thicker. The world was less bright and wonderful.

"Malchadan," she murmured, cursing in her own language. "One fight and suddenly everything becomes my problem."

She'd forgotten that there was another girl sitting nearby, she preferred to vent her frustration alone. It was to the air that her words flowed next.

"I mean, yes, it's bad that people are being robbed and murdered, but why me? There are plenty of would-be heroes all over Althanas, I'm sure there's one in Donnalaich that would love to be given a chance. And how am I even supposed to find who's doing this? The Spider Monkeys were...direct. Open. I don't go hunting for people like that..."

Again she sighed, rubbing her head. Why couldn't she just get one day of peace and quiet?

MoonRunner
01-13-08, 11:40 AM
He didn’t even wait for an answer, Kyprith observed before showing his mouth full of razor sharp teeth in a large yawn.

Karyna frowned as she saw how dejected the red-haired adventurer was once the official left. Then the adventurer spoke as if to the wind, wondering why the responsibility should be hers and how she was going to complete this mission. Knowing that her mother would prefer if Karyna’s first bit of adventure was as an apprentice to a traveling merchant, she hesitated before offering…

“I spent most o’ my school years in Donnalaich an’ know the city pretty well. Through that an’ my mother’s business, I have a number o’ contacts that might be able tae help us find pieces o’ this puzzle. I’m Karyna O’ Feargail an’ this fellow is Kyprith,” she added, patting the wolf on the head; he opened his mouth in a wolfish grin, letting his tongue hang to one side, slightly curled.

The sun was beating down hard with its intense warmth, and, despite the breeze playing with his fur, the great wolf was panting hard. Summer was coming and he had yet to shed his entire winter coat so he looked quite ragged around the edges. Deciding that the conversation might last a while, he got up and slunk over to some shade created by a retaining wall made of stone. There he lay down on his side with his back against the chilled limestone and granite wall, letting his paws be lapped by the edges of the calm waves.

Continuing Karyna added, “Kyp is a skilled tracker, an’ since we understand each other that could be a great help. If ye need help finding supplies ‘round here, my mum an’ I can point ye in the right direction. We can also dig ‘round some tae see what we can learn ‘bout the situation there. We should be able tae get everythin’ ready before the morn.”

Karuka
01-13-08, 01:39 PM
Against all odds, she had a volunteer, and one who knew the city of Donnalaich. She also had a creature that would undoubtedly be more than a small help. What's more, she wanted to get out there and adventure. If not for one factor, Karuka would have welcomed her with open arms. But that one factor made it impossible to do so with good conscience.

This girl still had a mother.

"You would be wonderful to have, I'm sure...but are you willing to risk your life? Is your mother willing to let you? These people aren't just thieves; this isn't a game, lass. And they'll be willing to do worse than kidnap anyone that gets in their way if they can get ahold of them."

Sitting up straight, Karuka locked her blue eyes on Karyna's green orbs. There was such life there, so much cheer and a sort of carefree happiness that reminded the red-head of herself just two years prior. The lass was still innocent, perfectly happy to keep shop with her mother, though she didn't realize it yet. She had a sort of love in her life that Karuka could only envy, and wouldn't in her right mind risk taking it away.

She'd been lucky, too lucky, for too long. Not everyone was, and she wasn't about to willingly risk that on a girl with a family. Karuka would have given up adventuring for family in a heartbeat, and never looked back.

"What am I supposed to tell your mother should something happen to you? That you offered to go and knew the risks? That I tried to save you but was too late? That I'm sorry for what happened, and realize that it won't bring you back? There are only two places in the world where you're brought back, and I have yet to find them in Dheathain. If you want to insist on going, I'll want to meet with your mother, and I'll want you to tell her that you want to go, why you want to go, and I'll want to make it her decision."

Karuka leaned back against the wall, looking out toward the boats. She didn't suppose she'd be allowed to board an outbound one and just escape from the task thrust upon her, and that was a shame.

"I lost my mother some time ago...I'll not be held responsible for some mother losing her daughter."

MoonRunner
01-13-08, 06:40 PM
((bunny approved))

Swallowing a retort about how she understood that the criminals weren’t just thieves, Karyna took a moment before answering and made sure she heard the adventurer out. As she looked the other woman in the eyes, she was overcome with a feeling that she could only describe as being forced to give up. This woman had been through a lot.

Watching the adventurer stare out to sea, Karyna answered, “If ye come with me tae my mum’s shop, I’ll explain a few things along the way.”

Kyprith got to his feet, shook himself off, and started walking in the direction of the shop, Karyna and the adventurer following. As they strode through the streets, Karyna gave a summary of her family history.

“My father comes from a line o’ heroic warriors an’ diplomats for one o’ the Elvin nations. Strong, independent people who rarely spent time sitting at home. My mother is one o’ the few members o’ her family that preferred the quiet life. Even for her, the strong personality characteristic o’ her family keeps her from a quiet life as a housewife. Instead she is the creator an’ owner o’ a very successful merchant o’ luxury an’ exotic goods. Her father was a traveling merchant who had a small pirating business on the side."

News had obviously gotten around about who had gotten rid of the Spider Monkeys, because there were more than a few curious stares and hushed gossiping as they passed, even by the locals who were used to Kyprith’s presence.

“Pirates, explorers, warriors, merchants, an’ adventurers are my heritage. An’ Mum understands that. She also knows that I’ve felt the tug, that the life minding the shop is tiring for me. Aye, she’d prefer that I work with a traveling merchant instead. But most merchants who dock here need someone with actual fighting experience. I’ve been told o’er an’ o’er that skill is nae always apparent in the midst o’ a fight. An’ I need tae be able tae earn their respect ‘fore they even consider taking me in as an apprentice. They’re afraid that I’d be dead weight.”

Just as she finished her explanation, Karyna spotted the open cherry wood door to her mother’s shop. Nodding in greeting to a neighboring shop owner, Karyna followed Kyprith’s large form into the shop before sending him upstairs; no need to make a customer nervous.

Within seconds of listening to the conversation between her mother and the customer, Karyna softly said to the adventurer, “This is going tae take a while. If ye want, ye can look ‘round while we wait.”

Karuka
01-14-08, 06:46 PM
I'm gonna bunny you a little here, let me know if you want it changed.

It was a nice little shop with a homey feel and items displayed everywhere. There were some cute items, some that looked exotic, and some that looked like they might have a use, but none of them caught Karuka's eye. She wasn't in a shopping mood.

Karyna took her upstairs, to the area where the family lived, and Karuka sat down, resting her elbows on her knees. She needed to let this girl know exactly where she stood in this world, so that if her mother granted permission, there would be a knowledge of what her own abilities were, and beyond what circumstances the young Dheath girl would be on her own.

"I'll spare you my heritage, since I have enough adventure behind me that I can speak for myself. I have been traveling for almost two years, since I was sixteen. I am eighteen now. I have stood face to face with the cat of the Liviol Sanctum, unraveled its secrets, and come out alive. I have braved winters in Northern Corone dressed in rags, I have fought pirates armed with nothing more than a mop and a bucket, I have stared a were lizard in the eye, watched as it died, and eaten of its heart. I have visited the ruins of this land and seen its wonders and horrors. I have fought bandits in Fallien and witnessed Ragnarok in Raiaera. Most recently, I fought the Spider-Monkey Kids. But you know what I have never done?"

She looked up at Karyna, making sure that she had those bright green eyes on her.

"I have never done it alone. I can give you the names of every single person I have ever faced danger with, and tell you what I learned from each of them, what I gained where and lost where. I used to wield magic, I don't anymore. All I have to protect either of us with, after all the traveling and danger I've been through, are this six-foot long stick, these bits of metal, and these two fists. I can't have my eye on you every minute, if you come. If I have my eye on you and something happens to us, I can barely protect myself. I'd try for you, but I don't want you to get hurt and then feel betrayed if something happens. You've spent your time protected and loved. My guess is you've never seen much danger in all your time alive. And that's good, I envy that sort of life so much. It's why I hesitate to bring you away from it. I don't know what we're going to find in that city, but I know that I'd sooner not have to come back here and tell your mother what happened."

She looked around the room, at the plush but not oppressive decorations, at the large grey wolf that occupied the middle of the room, and the pretty young girl who was so bent on getting out of her house and into the world. She didn't understand why she was so eager to leave, but knew that her desire for family and a home wasn't everyone's desire.

"Are you sure this is what you want? To obey your wanderlust and walk straight into danger? Are you absolutely sure? There are safer ventures not so far away from home, creatures that inhabit the plains and the jungle. You could go hunting with some of your friends, prove your mettle against something whose goals are at least straightforward and attacks are predictable."

She was trying. If Karyna wound up going and got killed, at least she could say she had tried to dissuade her. Pirate heritage or not, a person needed to test out how they worked with real danger, rather than relying on heritage. If Karuka had done that, she'd have been long dead, despite coming from a long line of Seers and having a Berserker for a great-grandfather.

MoonRunner
01-22-08, 03:43 PM
Karyna carefully listened to Karuka's lecture. Kyprith had laid himself down in the center of the room in order to take full advantage of the breeze and stay out of the strong sunlight, but still kept an ear pricked to the proceedings inside. As she listened, she realized that her original thoughts about the woman’s past were inadequate. This woman had been thrust into a life she didn’t want. She had been ripped from all that she had known and was forced to survive through adventuring. And she had accomplished a lot! Karyna was amazed and intently watched Karu’s expressions as her tale unfolded.

After the adventurer had finished her tale, Karyna was silent, mulling over how to best show Karu why she had made this decision. While doing so, she turned slightly to look out over the rooftops stretching out to the bay below.

Within a few moments, she turned back to face Karuka and began to outline her reasoning, “I apologize for giving ye such inadequate reasoning during our walk here, ‘tis what I always told myself since the rest was second nature tae me. Just as I was starting the transition tae womanhood, my Elvish father visited. During his visit, he took me aside an’ told me o’ an important tradition o’ his clan.”

Karyna paused, making sure she remembered everything clearly. Kyprith stretched before rolling over on his back.

“A person isn’t given a manual that explains her purpose in life, what she is meant tae do, how she is meant tae do it, or who she is meant tae be. Those are things that she must figure out for herself. To do so, follow the strong urges; albeit, not the ones that come an’ go, but rather those that consume ye. He told me that people have the tendency tae choose between the head an’ the heart; which means they ignore half o’ the recommendations necessary an’ half o’ the ones they do listen tae are inadequate tae say the least.”

Hardly pausing as her mother entered the room with a curious look on her face, Karyna went on to explain the next step in the reasoning.

“It’s nae that I want tae leave my mum, but we both understand that there is something missing for me here, an’ I need tae find it. Right now, I danna ken where my wanderlust is leading me; I probably won’t ken till I arrive there. But I have tae take this chance. I’m nae relying completely on heritage or drive tae guide me. I have experience in both hunting, scouting, an’ fighting; albeit, I ken I am nae expert. But I am a quick learner an’ I have tae start somewhere.”

During this, her mother had made a pot of a spiced ice tea and poured each of them a glass of the refreshing and invigorating beverage. Then she sat down next to her daughter. If one looked closely, one would notice the hint of a look that was pained, resigned, loving, and understanding in the depths of her dark chocolate eyes. When looking at the mother and daughter side by side, one would think they were related but distantly. While Karyna had pale tanned skin, brilliant rusty red hair, sparkling sea green eyes, and sharp but gentle features, her mother had caramel skin, raven black hair, deep cocoa eyes, and rounded features with a heart-shaped features. It was clear to anyone who was slightly observant that Karyna took after her father’s appearance more than her mothers, but if one was careful in their observations they would notice the similarity in the shape of the lips, the expressions, the way the two held themselves, and the broad shoulders that no graceful Elf would posses in his heritage.

Once she was done with her explanation, unless there were questions or comments, Karyna introduced her mother to Karu, mentioning the defeat of the Spider Monkeys. O’Feargail, or F’gail as she liked to go by, was friendly and gracious, following the normal customs before letting out a jibe…

“It’s ‘bout time those Monkeys jumped intae web of their own making. They have been muddling in things above their heads, an’ if they hadn’t had the muscle the collection of weak brains would nae have kept them alive this long. The only one with a decent level of intelligence that I met was their leader, that Draconian brute. Well, good riddance, an’ I hope ye danna get too much trouble from this,” with that she raised her glass, used it to salute the visitor before her, and took a gulp.

Karuka
01-25-08, 03:26 AM
Karuka took a sip of the tea, spices like cinnamon, pepper, cloves and nutmeg making an otherwise bland drink both delightful and refreshing. On an ordinary day, on a peaceful day, the softness of the chair and graciousness of a hostess would have made it wonderful. But the comfort of the chair embraced her with the cold of guilt, and the drink tasted cloying and bitter, like the blood of an innocent child. She could have choked on it.

One look into F'gail's eyes told Karuka that while she worried about what her daughter might be about to suggest, she wouldn't stop her, and that just made the Irish lass feel worse. Normally, she'd have welcomed company on any venture, but this felt too much like ripping a babe from her mother's breast.

Finishing the drink, Karuka stood up, looking Karyna's mother in the eyes with an apologetic sorrow.

"It would have been a great fortune had my own mother been as strong as independent as you are, bean-usail* F'gail. I knew the moment I set eyes on you that however much you feared for your daughter's life, you would tell her to go chase her destiny, to grab it and not let it slip her by. Opposition from you lacking, I will take your daughter. Know that I intend to return her to you in one piece."

Karuka straightened up, letting out a breath and looking at Karyna. "I must go and gather my belongings, and you must make preparations. There is an old Draconian potato vendor by the docks. Meet me at his stand in an hour and a half, as the sun approaches meridian."

Turning, Karuka walked to the door before facing the family again and addressing its matriarch. "Prosperity to your home and warmth to your hearth."

Then, with a heavy heart, she walked back down the steps of the shop and through the winding beige streets of Talmhaidh. The bustle of the streets seemed distant to her, despite the attention she seemed to be garnering from people whose lives had been disrupted by the gang she'd helped decimate the day before.

Gathering her belongings, she rubbed the bruise that lingered on her cheek as she looked on the small yet comfortable room that had housed her the night before. A small amount of bitterness wormed around her belly; she hadn't wanted to do this. She hadn't wanted any of it. She'd never wanted to be an adventurer. She'd just wanted her own people to love and accept her as the half-breed she was.

The door clicked shut behind her as she walked out.

Buying supplies was easier than it had ever been before. Shopkeepers and other merchants seemed more than happy to give her items at very reasonable - or even ridiculously low - prices, depending on how much they'd been threatened by the gang or who they knew that had been affected in Donnalaich that she might be saving next.

She found herself with more than half an hour left until Karyna's arrival as she arrived at the Draconian's stand. Unlike the previous day, he was beaming, and he handed her a potato with salt, pepper, and some butter, waving away the coin she tried to offer him in return as he offered some thanks for her bravery the previous night. He had seen it, he told her, every detail, and he'd been impressed.

But Karuka wasn't in the mood to hear her own praises sung. Instead, she sat down on a barrel beside him.

"Aithris mi an sguel, seanair, do le thoil. Mu an s*r. An s*r fior**."

*lady

**"Tell me a story, grandfather, please. About a hero. A real hero."

MoonRunner
01-29-08, 11:08 AM
Karuka had already left before Karyna and her mother could stand and bid her farewell. So, F’gail touched the knuckle of the first two fingers of her right hand to her forehead, then to her left shoulder*. With that finished, F’gail turned to face her daughter.

“So, ‘tis time for ye to leave now?” she asked quietly with a couple rapid blinks.

“Aye,” Karyna stood, her eyes starting to sting with repressed emotions.

“Then we’d best get yer things together. Go pack yer weapons and clothes. I’ll put together some food stuffs.”

The change was remarkable. Now her mother was all business. She had known this day would come; she had her moment of hesitation; and now she was ready to make sure her daughter would have everything she would need. Shooing Kyprith out of the way, she grabbed the glasses of ice tea (only the one had been fully drunk) and set them out of the way in the kitchen before turning it into a vibrant center of productivity.

With a nod mostly to herself, Karyna turned and ran up the stairs to her room on the fourth floor. There she grabbed a knapsack, rolled up two changes of travel clothes and one change of clothes appropriate for business. Then she changed into knee high, brown, leather riding boots; linen breeches with a hue similar to sand glistening with the rays from a dawning sun; a cream colored loose linen shirt; and a forest green cloak that covered her shoulders and offered the protection needed against strong sunlight as well as a brisk summer’s eve. Tucked into her belt was a pair of chocolate brown, leather gloves.

At her waist was the larger of her daggers, the one that most people called a stylized dirk: this was mostly for show because Karyna was better versed in the use of the smaller dagger that she hid inside her breaches on her hip. Her bowstring was in a pouch at her waist along with flint, needle, thread, and other useful tidbits such as small parchment rolls, a small ink jar, and a small quill. Also at her waist was a belt quiver full of arrows. Hidden within the folds of her cloak was a pouch that hung from her neck and held 50 gold pieces, her other 100 was distributed so she wouldn’t be left bereft if one stash was stolen.

After she was sure she had everything, she slung her quite light knapsack over her shoulder, grabbed her unstrung bow in one hand, and patted Kyprith’s back as he exited the room before her. Once she was in the kitchen, her mother snagged the knapsack and placed numerous packets within it, some of which looked suspiciously unlike food. Her mother gave her an inventory list, which, following habit, Karyna added her other items to as she looked it over.

“Do ye have yer amulet?” F’gail asked.

“Aye,” Karyna raised her hand to finger the stylized key hanging from a copper chain about her neck, “‘Tis here.”

Has it ever proven itself tae have magical abilities? Kyprith asked, scratching himself behind his ears.

Nae, ‘tis just a small trinket that my father gave tae me when I was a small tyke. He said that it was tae keep my mind open tae all the possibilities; but I’m sure he was talking figuratively. Karyna answered has she reached out and pulled her mother into a hug.

The hug was a long one, both using it to tell the other that they love each other. F’gail stood her daughter at arms length and looked her in the eyes, “Now, ye had better write often…visit when ye can.”

Seeing her mother’s eyes glisten, Karyna had to blink some tears back before saying, “‘O course, Mum, ye’ll oft hear from me.”

After the good-byes were completed, Karyna slung her knapsack over her shoulder again. Her mother patted her on the back as one last good bye before shooing her away, saying she was going to be late. As she descended the stairs, Karyna thought to herself, And now it begins: the dawn of my search for a true life. Walking briskly, Karyna and Kyprith neared the potato seller's stand within moments. Dispite their promptness, Kyprith scented Karu's presence stating that she had arrived before them.

*A rare custom to send a wish of good luck with the departing person.

Karuka
02-20-08, 11:02 AM
As she saw Karyna approach, Karuka stood up, buying a bag of potatoes for the road and getting a hot one for her new companion. She almost wished she had a way to send the young lass home, but she knew better. She recognized the resolve in the girl's eyes, the same resolve she'd felt course through her own blood with every obstacle she'd encountered.

Karyna would have gone her own way sooner or later, and sooner rather than later. At the very least, she wouldn't be on her own at the start of her journey. The Irish red-head knew from experience that traveling alone wasn't a particularly safe prospect for first time travelers - or any traveler, for that matter.

Leaving the vendor, Karuka gave the other woman the still-hot potato, looking over her carefully.

"Ready?" She didn't need the answer, she already knew it. "Then come on."

It was a mile or so to the outskirts of town, where they'd pick up the horses that the city was providing for them. Karuka's bags weren't heavy enough to require a horse, but it would mean they could get to Donnalaich and then back faster than without.

"From what I've heard, the walk to Donnalaich is about five days. It'll go down to being a two day ride. Maybe in that time you'd be able to tell me what you're capable of. Your knowledge of the city is a good start...but as they say, 'forewarned is forearmed.'"

She spared a glance at the other, slightly shorter red-head, giving her a hint of a smile. "Since I can't persuade you to stay where it's safe, welcome aboard."

When they finally reached the stables, Karuka showed the stablemaster the certificate. Within a few moments a sleek bay mare and a sturdy black gelding were brought forward, all tacked up and ready to go. While they weren't the best horses in the world and carried between the two of them not even a drop of Fallien or Raiaeran blood, they were healthy, working beasts, unlike the nags she'd seen in some other stables.

"The black has a bit of a temper, so you'll want to watch out for him biting," cautioned the groom, but Karuka already had one hand on the horse's muzzle and was looking it in the eyes. Something seemed to pass between them, and with a soft nicker, the proud beast settled under her hand.

"He'll be all right."

Friendship established, Karuka loaded up her horse and swung onto the saddle, looking to see if Karyna was similarly situated on her mare.

MoonRunner
02-22-08, 10:19 PM
After having finishing the pleasantly buttered and warm potato during their short walk to the outskirts of town, it lodged halfway between Karyna’s throat and her stomach after hearing just the length of the journey and starting to think about the fact that she was really on her way. Part of her was excited, but a small part of her that just reared its head was very nervous about what she had gotten herself into. It only intensified when she started thinking about her abilities and the information she knew about Donnalaich that would be applicable: they were not nearly as impressive now that she was thinking about them.

You’re just starting out; we’ll be fine. Kyprith said from a few yards ahead, traveling at an easy trot to get far enough away from the horses so he wouldn’t spook them.

While not the most beautiful horse around, the bay mare still looked like she would be light footed and have plenty of endurance. After quickly looking the bay over and finding her satisfactory, Karyna packed her things into the saddle bags and mounted. With a smile to her companion, she nudged the mare into a brisk walk and began her recital, her gentle lilt making it seem as if it was the prose of a bard.

“Well, let’s see; Donnalaich is the capital o’ the Fae, in the middle o’ a dense rainforest, an’ near a large ruined city filled with treasure an’ monsters. I went tae school there an’ so was able tae explore the city till I ken it almost as well as a local. I’m on friendly relations with the headmaster an’ many o’ the senior professors at the Syrésta Coligia de D’laich. Through my time there an’ my mother’s business ties, I ken many influential merchants, an’ therefore have ties tae the city’s chief o’ security, many politicians, an’ the key occupants o’ the grape vine. Any questions that we have, I should be able tae either answer immediately or have the answer before the end o’ the day.”

Here Karyna paused, looking up into the sky as she opened her senses. The sky was a deep, brilliant azure with only the slightest wisps of clouds flying from horizon to horizon higher even than the various soaring creatures. The planes outside the city were as a vast sea of grass, filled with assorted forms of life. Lazily floating on the air currants above the travelers was a pair of Fenghuang who were enjoying the plentiful summer days that made it easy to support themselves and raise a nest full of healthy young. Further ahead a family of Lepre Hares scurried into burrows to avoid Kyprith despite the fact that he was obviously not stalking any prey. The warmth and ease of the creatures surrounding them filled her with a gentle glow.

“I have an affinity with animals, especially woodland creatures. I am able tae telepathically communicate tae them through the conveying o’ emotions an’ images; though with Kyprith the bond is much stronger, an’ we speak tae each other, mind tae mind, as ye an’ I can verbally. I cannae control nor manipulate, even if I wanted tae. However, I can sometimes shift intae a wolf for a short while. This weakens the telepathic bond with all animals except for Kyp, but I can speak tae them in their own verbiage. By the way, yer gelding is about tae truly itch for a good run. ‘Tis been a while since he’s been given a free rein on a plain such as this.”

Karuka
03-09-08, 12:01 AM
"We can let the horses trot for a little and then canter," Karuka responded to the very true comment about her horse. "I'd rather not strain the horses this soon in, not when we need them so much."

She loosened the rein a little, letting the horse trot as she considered Karyna's skills and contacts. She would be useful, perhaps even more useful than she herself. All she had was experience and a few tricks up her sleeves. They'd likely be fighting in streets or buildings, she'd done that. They were likely to face numbers. She had been fighting opponents more skilled and numerous than herself practically since she'd first set foot on Althanas.

She didn't know how to seek people out, though. A few months before, she'd have used her pendulum, but that was useless. Had they been allies, she could have sought them out one by one with the device she'd gotten from Tura Preylor the day Damon Kaosi had destroyed the universe, but they were not. Karyna had contacts, but they would know mostly rumors. Kyprith was a tracker, but what scent or scents were there to follow, and how far?

The troubles weighing on her mind made her miss the beauty of the day. All she could do was hearken back to the vision she'd seen the day before. Talmhaidh had not burned in reality, but the outline of the city behind her did not match the one in the vision. Would Donnalaich? Was Donnalaich doomed to burn?

Can we save it, too? How much luck does one person get before it runs out?

"Let's hurry," she said to Karyna. "We don't want to be too late."

She gave her gelding more rein, letting his gait open up into a canter. She looked up, fixing her eyes on the road in front of her. She may not have set herself on this path, but she knew better than most that once a path was initiated, it didn't stop until it was done.

"All right," she called over to the other red-head. "I'm going to trust you to use what you've got in Donnalaich to try and get us to find our people. After that, we'll try and get as many of them as we can alive. We'll kill the rest."

Taking her eyes off the road for a moment to give Kary a piercing stare. "And if you don't have the stomach for killing, you'll find very quickly that there are many people that won't extend you the same courtesy. The trick is to kill who you must and spare who you can, and try and protect the good souls you find. Some days you'll swear that they don't exist, but they are out there...a few of them. That's why we're going to Donnalaich. Not because I've been asked, not because I've been forced, because if that was the case I'd be on a boat right now headed to Salvar or Raiaera, or somewhere else. But if we don't succeed here...Donnalaich will burn, and perhaps other places, too."

If Karyna was going to get life's hard lessons, she might as well get them as a warning before they happened to her. It was a warning that Karuka would have been glad to get at the start of her adventures.

MoonRunner
03-11-08, 05:06 PM
As their horses entered a loping trot, it took Karyna a few moments to get used to the rhythm, and she winced as her rump slapped against the saddle a couple times. But quickly she got into the posting rhythm, and the ride became as smooth as a trot could.

Too late? Kyprith piped up, having kept part of his mind on the conversation between the two women. Does she ken something she’s not telling?

Oh, come on, Kyp, she’s just worried that we might be tae late tae save those who were kidnapped.

As their horses eased into a smooth canter, Kyp sped up into the mile-eating trot-run that was typical of a traveling wolf. He slowly shortened the distance between him and the rest of the group, giving the horses time to get used to his sent. Karuka helped by sending a feeling of safety and ease to their mounts, letting her enjoyment of the smooth fast pace boost the feeling. Once they seemed to understand that Kyprith wasn’t going to attack them, Kary was able to relax and enjoy the warm breeze in her face and the gentle gate of her mare, who was enjoying the pace as much as she was.

Over the rhythmic pounding of the horses’ hooves against the soft turf and through the summer breeze intensified by their speed, Kary was just able to make out what Karu said to her. And it made her stop and think, her smile lessening the more she thought about what she heard. Killing? There would be killing of people? While she knew that adventurers often got into fights, she just never thought about that she would have to kill another person herself. Shaking that thought away, she could deal with that when she came to it, Karyna latched onto Karu’s last comment.

“Burn? What do ye mean? The councilman danna say anything 'bout a fire. An' why would other cities burn?”

As the conversation continued, the landscape slowly began to change. The soil began to grow darker, the grasses slowly thinned out while being replaced by shrubs, and the animal life incorporated more woodland edge animals and less prairie creatures. And, as the signs of the nearing rainforest increased, so did Karyna’s excitement. During her years away from Donnalaich, she had come to miss the social feel and the friends she had made there. What could be a better place for the next stage in her life to dawn?

Karuka
04-16-08, 04:25 PM
Karuka decided that the whole truth was probably less beneficial to her temporary charge than half of it. If the whole truth became necessary, she could tell it later. As she began to see the jungle sprouting up on the horizon like a hazy emerald, she tucked a curl behind her ear and looked back at Karyna.

"Because I have a hunch, and if that hunch is correct, the group we're after in Donnalaich is related to the Spider-Monkey Kids. In my clashes with them yesterday, there were threats of lighting Talmhaidh on fire. They were stopped and eliminated before they had the chance, but if that's a policy across the board, then if we don't make it soon, we might see punishment inflicted on Donnalaich. The violence there has already escalated to murders, after all."

Karyna didn't need to know about the visions, not unless she had one...and the Irish lass intended to stay focused so that wouldn't happen. Ordinary people got by without seeing the future, as did exceptional people. She was sick of the "gift" that ran in her blood, she wished to be rid of it, to never suffer it again and to never see her firstborn suffer it. But it wouldn't happen.

"We'll be in the jungle before dark, so we'll have to stop not too far in and set up some form of shelter, something that at the very least will keep the small animals out and make noise if the big ones try to get in."

Already it had grown from an emerald haze to a distinctive horizon line that was growing rapidly in the distance, starting to loom over them like a stirring dragon. Perhaps it was just as dangerous, but Karuka doubted there'd be too much danger from animals on the major trade route. The worst danger was from men too dishonest to earn money and strong enough to take it from lone travelers, but with so big a wolf traveling with them, Karuka doubted danger from them, either.

It just never hurts to be prepared.

A few hours later, the light was beginning to fade in the interior of Luthmor rainforest, and the horses had been slowed to a walk. The area was normally filled with sound - the chatter of monkeys, the hum of insects, the raucous calls of birds as one tried to establish its territory more loudly than the next. Some of the monkeys were chattering menacingly at them, and the insects hummed along as normal, but the birds cheeped only cautiously around them, afraid of Kyprith. The silence would have probably unnerved a familiar woodsman, but Karuka's concern was building a makeshift shelter from vines and branches.

"Karyna, see if you and Kyprith can't find some fresh water around here while I set up camp. Once we're settled, if you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them."

If Kary doesn't have questions, then take 'em to the town in your next post.