PDA

View Full Version : From Beyond the Void

Zieg dil' Tulfried
01-10-08, 07:39 PM
((Closed))

Silence. It was like a plague. Spreading throughout a civilization as an epidemic, affecting only those with nothing to say. Only affecting those who had lost hope. No one rose to take up the challenge. No one had inspirational words to uplift the people back into the proud nation they once were. No, for even those who were once lead were now without hope and shattered, if they were even around at all.

For that is what the demons now were, a people without hope and without leadership. They returned to Haidia, their underground prison after being surprised and outmatched by the might of the Salvarian Army. The Demon Army was too far spread, exploring the vast reaches of their new home. The High General, Zieg dil' Tulfried had gone away on a journey of diplomacy, hoping to gain new allies to maintain the new lands. All assumed he had been turned away, imprisoned, or even killed.

The other generals, Zaketh and Johannan, were no better off than their commanding officer. Zaketh had been taken prisoner of the Salvarians and Johannan was pitied most, having been blinded by the magic of the humans. He now resided in the shattered remains of the Demon Army Headquarters, a once magnificent place. Unlike a majority of the city of Vainta, the headquarters still stood, even if it was a miserable sight.

The only dim glimmer of hope for the demons when they had returned to the underworld was that the dwarves were mysteriously gone. The total destruction that they had wrought remained, but there was no sign of the conquerers themselves. As the demons made their way back into the city, most were able to return to what was left of the places they once called home. Despite this, few had begun to rebuild the once mighty city, most were filled with a despair that simply would not go away.

The streets were empty, none had any reason to be out and about. Debris covered the once broad street and rubble was piled in various corner and out of the way places. The odd crunch of broken glass echoed through the barren streets as three figures made their way through the city. They were all oddly out of place in the city of despair. They walked with a purpose, they walked with a fire, and most of all they walked with an anger.

Blue-and-black armor glowed in the sullen red light that permeated through the entire underground region. A flowing red cape draped over armored shoulders. One gauntleted hand held tightly to a slender hand. Platinum hair had plastered itself to a sweaty forehead. Brown fur bounced up and down as a small dog climbed broken rock that was larger that he was. Had any of the citizens bothered to look into the streets in that moment they would not have believed what they saw. They would have to, however, for this trio was unmistakable.

"Why?" Zieg dil' Tulfried asked.

Max Dirks
01-11-08, 07:14 PM
“Kill him!” a demon shouted in native Haidian, “Cut his throat for his sins against our people!” Several demons heard this and emerged from their decaying homes. They each held various items as weapons. The demons converged on a street corner where a ruckus had broken out. The demons had surrounded an intruder, a human, and were calling for blood. Following their banishment from the surface by the Salvarians, the Haidians did not take well to any other race within their domain. The human looked miserable. His black trench coat had melted away in certain parts, and his face was colored by a mix of dried blood and purple venom. Visibly unarmed and backed into a corner, this poor human would surely be killed by his captors.

“Wait!” a demon cried from the back of the mob. Several demons quickly moved to the side at the sound of the voice, and those who didn't were soon shoved aside. Once the mob cleared, the man found himself face-to-face with a grand demon. At least seven feet tall, this demon made the rest look like mere children. The demon carried a long broadsword, and unlike the others, was also heavily armored. His entire body was covered in the scales of an unknown beast. The demon looked the human up and down once, and asked “Who are you?”

The human did not immediately answer the demon. Instead he looked deep into the creature’s eyes. “A vestige of Vainta,” the man replied in the common language. His words did not please the demon.

In a quick movement, the demon ceased the man’s throat and slammed him against the mud brick exterior of the nearby building. “Do not mock me, human,” the demon lashed out, this time in a heavy, slurred, common speak. “Look around you. We are what remain of Vainta…of Haidia. Look carefully, because our Vainta will be the last thing you ever see.” The demon pressed its body weight against the man. He whispered, “I will not ask again.”

“Max Dirks” the man wheezed.

Once he replied, the demon released his grip and Dirks fell to his knees. The demon turned to the crowd and spoke, but his words were still meant for Dirks. “And why, Max Dirks, have you come to Haidia?” When the demon raised his hands, the mob, which had been silent until then, erupted to life. “The portals have been destroyed. The only way in and out of our land is through the passage to Salvar.” The crowd sneered at its enemy’s name. “You were sent, by Salvar, to finish General Johannon, were you not?” The crowd cried for blood at the idea.

Once Dirks had caught his breath, he mumbled, “No you fool, I was invited…”

“Invited?” The demon repeated. He seemed amused and began a deep laugh. Surely no demon would befriend a human. The mob soon erupted into a chorus of laughter. “Invited by whom?”

“By your General, Zieg dil’ Tulfried, the hero of Haidia,” Dirks replied. At this, all of the laughter abruptly ceased. It was replaced by a look of sheer hatred on the face of all the demons.

“How dare you, human! How dare you insult the great Zieg dil’ Tulfried?” When the demon said the name, the mob broke into a low roar, as if honoring a fallen combatant. Dirks stood to his feet and frowned at the demon. After a pause, the demon said, “The general was killed in the war of Haide by the Salvaran traitors.” The demon advanced on Dirks, “And now you will die for your blasphemy.”

Before the demon could take another step, Dirks pulled his patented Beretta 950 from its holster and aimed it at the demon’s exposed forehead. The demon stopped dead in his tracks and looked down the barrel of the gun. Dirks shook his head, “For your sake, demon, you’d better hope that you are wrong.”

Zieg dil' Tulfried
01-11-08, 08:00 PM
The destruction of his home had definately angered the High General. His free hand seemed to clench and unclench uncontrollably as the trio wandered down the trashed streets. Zieg glanced at his son's face, unsure of the boy's reaction to the devastation of the only place he had ever called home. Kaza was incredibly somber, the serious look very uncommon to his gentle features.

This is awful, Zieg. Why would the dwarves utterly destroy the city before disappearing? This city had to be a better place than wherever it is that they had been living. The small dog's telepathic speech reached Zieg and Kaza with more emotion than Zieg had ever heard.

Before Zieg could come up with a reply, a loud commotion erupted from a smaller side street to their left. Curious as to what would stir up the desperate people, the demon led his half-demon son and his furred companion toward the noise. Upon reaching the site of the ruckus, Zieg took in the obviously desperate scene. A commander of the formerly mighty Demon Army, still garbed in most of his gear, along with two lieutenants were surrounded by a crowd of pathetic civilians. Most appeared to have nothing but the tattered clothes on their back to call their own.

What concerned him more was the human that looked little more than a pile of skin and bones at the three warriors' feet. The man looked familiar, but before Zieg could place him, he had brought a gun to bear on the commander. It was at that moment that Zieg realized who it was. It was Max Dirks, a human mercenary, who usually let his weapons do all of the talking. Before Zieg could react, the three warriors had their weapons drawn and all three blades were at the human's throat.

"You had better put the weapon down, human." The last word was said with a sneer. "With High General Tulfried dead, General Dinmos captured and possibly dead, and General Trakos incapacitated, I am the new leader of the Demon Army. If you have any hope of life beyond the next few moments, I would advise that you surrender." The haughty demon smiled viciously.

"Stop!"

Enraged at the self-justified promotion, Zieg released Kaza and instantly drew his own blade, the awesome Gamygym. With a single thought, the blade burst into flames, brilliant orange encasing the tempered osmium. All eyes turned to him as he strode away from his son and companion toward the crowd. Fury shone in the High General's eyes and he ripped off the horned helmet he wore and threw it to the ground. Crimson locks appeared from within their prison, held back by an emerald headband.

"Commander Dlekthos!" Zieg exclaimed in a rage. "How dare you assume that you have any right to the command of the Demon Army when I stand before you wearing the crest of my position on my forehead. Even assuming that you believed me dead, I can assure you without a doubt that in any condition, General Johannan ag' Trakos would serve as a better High General than you. Lower your weapons at this moment or it will be your last. This man is who he says. I invited him here to help me right this wrong."

For a moment, everyone stood staring at a demon that they had all presumed dead. The two lieutenants quickly stepped away from the commander and sheathed their weapons before saluting the High General and standing at attention. The commander quickly followed suit with a stammered, "Sir." Zieg ignored their sudden etiquette and proceded to help Max Dirks to his feet.

"Thank you for heeding my summons, Max. You look like you took on a Vampiric Dragon alone. Please, accompany me to what is left of the Demon Army headquarters for whatever comfort I can offer." He glanced over at the three soldiers. "Go. Gather all of the Demon Army that you can locate. Bring them back to the headquarters. Spread the word that the High General has returned."

Max Dirks
01-14-08, 12:26 AM
Max Dirks did not flinch when the swords were drawn against him. Althanas' most infamous criminal did not fear these creatures. Of course, he did not intend to harm the demons either. As time dragged on, though, Dirks' hesitation was replaced by a desire to survive. If they did not back down, he would fire upon them. As the demons moved their weapons closer, Dirks felt his finger tightening around the trigger.

But just as Dirks was going to fire, a voice rang out from the back of the mob. It was a familiar voice. It was a commanding voice. Dirks did not have to look to know it belonged to Haidia’s hero, Zieg dil’ Tulfried. When the general spoke, all of the demon’s heads were instantly turned. They too recalled the voice of their leader. Shocked was etched on their faces. They were witnessing the return of a ghost.

Dirks offered Zieg a short nod when the demon came into view holding the flaming Gamygym, but quickly turned his attention back to the demon Zieg introduced as ‘Dlekthos.’ Dlekthos stood in awe, still holding his weapon. The demon was unsure of whether he was seeing an illusion. When Dlekthos finally accepted reality and sheathed his sword, Dirks lowered his weapon.

When Zieg arrived, Dirks holstered his gun and took Zieg’s outstretched hand. He slowly climbed to his feet. Ignoring the mob and their confused looks, Dirks sarcastically greeted Zieg like an old friend. When Zieg commented on his current condition, Dirks could only crack, “About that...you forgot to mention the ridiculously huge spiders in your letter."

The only remaining secret entrance left into Haidia led through the Vla’Toros region. Without the demons to control them, large spiders—Dirks would have to learn their formal name from Zieg later— roamed freely there. Ferocious hunters, the spiders lured prey into their web with the pleasant scent of their webs. Dirks had exhausted two clips merely trying to escape one spider’s trap. Dirks brushed off and pulled a cobweb off of his back. He put it to his nose and sniffed it before throwing it aside. “Then again, at least now I'm the only thing down here that doesn't smell rotten.”

Dirks looked to Zieg with a grin on his face, “Shall we?”

Zieg dil' Tulfried
01-14-08, 04:24 PM
As the warriors ran off with the news and Kaza and Xeppa walked over, Zieg and Dirks began to make their way toward the Demon Army Headquarters. They walked rather quickly to avoid the throngs of people that would soon be gathering after word spread about his arrival. Chuckling over Dirks last statement Zieg glanced at the rundown man.

"My apologies, Max. I have encountered these spiders, the Tromboli, only once before and was unaware if there were more. I will be sure to be more aware of their presence in the future." Veering right onto the broad avenue that ran down the center of the city from the castle to the headquarters, Zieg spent a glance toward the fortress.

It was in terrible shape. Three of the eight large parapets that rose up into the air had crumbled to nothing. There was a gaping hole in the outer wall, and scorch marks stained the beautiful stone. Shaking his head sullenly, Zieg looked forward, leaving the painful memory behind. The sight in front of him was not much better. The large two story building still stood, if barely. The second floor had collapsed inward, but the structure was sound enough to hold the broken upper story. The left wing of the lower story had collapsed as well. The windows were all broken, and the once proud structure now hunched, beaten.

Guiding Max through the archway into the main foyer of the building, he found the interior of the building not any better off than the exterior. Decorations had been ripped from the walls, maps that had been so painstakingly created of Haidia were in pieces on the floor. Fury grew once more inside the demon, built on the pain of enormous loss. Entering the broad main hallway, he turned right, knowing the left side of the building had collapsed in.

Torches still lined the hallway, though only a few were actually lit. The stone floor was a solid as ever and only a few of the stones were broken. The hall was relatively bare compared to the foyer, it seemed someone cleaned up a bit. The large wooden doors that concealed inner rooms were missing, revealing tattered clothes and broken furniture. Only one solid oak door remained and it was upon this door that Zieg knocked.

"Come." Johannan ag' Tranta's voice echoed from within, much weaker than Zieg ever remembered him to be. Zieg gently opened the door and ushered Max Dirks and the others inside. The room was very dark, except for the dim light that entered via the unadorned window. "If you are here to kill me, please make it quick."

"You know I could never hurt you, old friend," Zieg replied, pity filling his voice.

"Zieg? You're alive? I knew that no one could kill you. Please, feel free to light a torch or a candle so you can see. I may have no need of that any longer, but I will not deny you." Zieg quickly stepped outside and took a torch from the wall and brought it into the room. Stepping quickly to the fireplace, he tossed the torch inside, lighting the tender and wood that still sat where it had been placed months earlier.

When the fire lit the room, Zieg was crushed by what he saw. Johannan sat at a table, wearing a simple smock and completely unarmed. His eyes had no color, but were completely white. The High General stepped to the table, leaned forward, and spoke.

"Report, General Tranta."

Almost at once, the blind general sat up straighter in his chair and looked proud. "Sir, about three weeks after you left, our territory was assaulted by the Salvarian Army. They were very efficient and very clever, completely surrounding the first city and annihilating them, while not allowing word to get back to us. Somehow, someone did escape and Zaketh and I set our forces into motion. We had no idea how outnumbered and spread out we were. Zaketh took the majority of our forces, to strike at the core of our opponents, while I headed to Vla'toros to prepare for a final stand.

"I have no idea what actually happened to Zaketh, but reports from those who escaped the slaughter were that they were outnumbered four to one. The demons fought well, but in the end, General Dinmos was forced to sound the retreat. Unfortunately, the Salvarians had flanked him and those retreating were picked off by archers. Zaketh was captured."

He stopped for a moment, catching his breath, before continuing. "By this time, most of the civilians had left their homes and escaped to Vla'toros. I reinforced our numbers with those who had escaped from the assault, we held strong for eight days. We could easily weather the assault, we had enough rations to continue for weeks more. During the eighth night however, someone had opened a side entrance to them. To this day, I do not know who. They killed many in their sleep. I led a platoon to hold them back while our people escape and it was then that I was blinded by their magicians. Somehow, I do not know how, but somehow I found my way back here. The Salvarians seemed content to leave us down here, trapped. All of the portals have been shut off again, but not destroyed. The few Magi that are left can still feel the link, but it is closed. I suppose the magic is too powerful for even them."

Zieg nodded. "Do not worry, my friend. I can reopen the portals. The human sorcerer, Khazzele taught me how. It was the only good thing he ever did for demons. Max, please tell me you found where they are keeping General Zaketh."

Max Dirks
01-15-08, 12:12 AM
Aside from their brief chuckle, the remainder of their walk to the demons’ grand fortress was rather somber. The look on Zieg’s face was bone chilling. Never before had Dirks witnessed such a mix of anger, determination and defeat in any man’s expression. Kaza and Xeppa looked no better. Even the child and his dog were taken in by their desolate surroundings.

Whispers of the general’s return spread quickly across the city. As the group made their way to the fortress, many demons emerged from their homes to witness Zieg’s return with their own eyes. Some were happy, others angry, and some were too shocked to move. Dirks was finally beginning to realize how dire Haidia’s situation was. Zieg had only asked Dirks to gather some information. He seriously hoped his friend would not ask him to fight a war.

Soon the group arrived at the tattered fortress. Dirks allowed Zieg to lead the group into the darkness. The criminal made up the rear. There was nothing left to see. Glass shards, tapestries, and other treasures were thrown about the floor. The ceiling had imploded, causing the second floor to become the first.

Dirks said nothing as they finally arrived at their destination. Dirks couldn’t see anything, so he moved his hand along the wall and finally settled into a spot near the door. Closing his eyes, Dirks listened to the exchange between the two demons. They were formal and precise. Dirks began to wonder why Zieg was acting so formal in the comforting presence of his people. Or was it comforting? Was this the result of real war? The criminal had never cared about the regional wars of Althanas. He only participated in those where he was either handsomely paid, or had something to lose if he didn’t fight. Dirks had never done anything for a friend.

When the light was lit, it took Dirks a moment to adjust. He raised his hands to his eyes and rubbed away the blur that had taken his vision. When he could finally see again, he looked to the two demons. Johannan, whom Dirks remembered from Dlekthos looked destroyed, but after hearing his leader, seemed strangely revived.

Soon Zieg called on Dirks, and the criminal stepped forward. “Vla’Toros?” Dirks asked. “I was there three days ago. I don’t think they left you to die, General. The entire region was infested with spiders, with Tromboli…” Dirks trailed off, though he was not intentionally avoiding Zieg’s question. “They meant to kill you…”

He paused. “I’m sorry, Zieg, but I don’t think I know where General Zaketh is. The contact I used told me that Zaketh was being held captive in a fortress near the mountains of Sulgoran’s Axe. But he also said no demons had died when Zaketh was captured. He said they too had been captured were being held with Zaketh.”

Dirks was suddenly filled with anger at his carelessness. He’d trusted his contact, but that contact was through Malice. Ashiakin, the ice demon of Salvar, now led the fabled group. Ashiakin surely would have had a hand in Haidia’s spite, and surely would not want Althanas’ most infamous to have information which could be easily sold to the demons.

“Stupid,” Dirks said, slamming his fist against the wall. “I’m sorry, Zieg,” he repeated.

Zieg dil' Tulfried
01-15-08, 05:34 PM
Zieg shook his head solemnly at Dirks' reply. Before he could reply, a tiny hand slid into his, and the gruff demon looked down to see his son, tired and forlorn. He scooped the boy up into his arms, and carefully laid him against his shoulder. Not the most comfortable place to rest, but Kaza would have no other. He settled into the crook of Zieg's arm and leaned his head against Zieg's exposed neck.

"No, Max. When we came to Haide, a second Vla'toros was built in the mouth of the cavern entrance to our home. The Vla'toros you emerged from into Haidia is another place entirely. Both were built by the same elf, Dera'losta'nofa." All at once, Zieg turned back to Johannan.

"Dera, did he make it through this alive? Did he survive?" He could not imagine his elven friend passing away, his biggest supporter and one of the best citizens of Haidia.

"No, Zieg. At first notice of the invasion, Dera left Vla'toros for Raiaera, furious. I have not heard from him since, however. With the portals shut down and Haide occupied by Salvar, he may just not have a way to get back here." Zieg nodded grateful that his friend had not perished. With any amount of luck, he could keep it that way. With that detail in hand, Zieg turned his attention back to the situation surrounding Zaketh.

"Max, you have nothing to be angry about. For all we know, your source is correct. While any invasion will have casualties, it is possible that a large number of demons may have been captured. After all, he had no idea that you are allied with me, did he? Without accurate, insider information we have no way of knowing exactly what the situation there is. General Tranta, we need a plan and you are the best strategist alive, even without your eyes. What is our best plan of action here?" Zieg shifted the boy in his arms a bit to redistribute his small weight, for the boy had fallen asleep. His platinum hair nestled deep into his father's neck.

"I have no idea, Zieg. I believe that there are three things that need to be done. First, you must find the traitor and kill him. You also need to regroup our forces and get training and rebuilding in place. We need to rebuild the city and our forces can help organize that effort. Finally, you need to discover the truth behind Zaketh capture and, if at all possible, rescue him. Not only would our best field commander be back, but it would strike a chilling blow to Salvar, that we were able to get inside wherever they are keeping him." Johannan stood, carefully making his way to an armoire that was up against the wall. Opening it, he pulled out his armor and began to redress himself. He also pulled out a large titanium and liviol scythe from a corner.

"I agree, General. However, I must also add that we must locate Dera, and discover what he learned in Raiaera. He is a valuable asset I do not want to lose." Zieg glanced over at the silent Dirks. "What do you think, Max?"

Max Dirks
01-17-08, 06:21 PM
Two Vla’Toros? Despite Zieg’s reassurance, Dirks still felt uneasy about his contact. Zieg was a brilliant tactician and Dirks suspected the lower generals were just as capable, but talk of traitors and missing allies did not reassure Dirks in the slightest. It had to have been a lie. Another trap that would kill more of Zieg's people. If the war was about land—about Haide—the Salvarians wouldn’t have attacked the demons in their own home. This war wasn’t about land. It was about the extermination of the entire demon race.

An informant shouldn’t have these thoughts. Dirks was getting in too deep.

Zieg had asked Dirks to infiltrate Salvar to find where General Zaketh was being kept. The request was simple, but it was backed with such passion that Dirks knew Zieg would have happily walked into Salvar and beat the information out of someone if he could. That alone is why Dirks broke his regions affair policy and obtained the information. He could not say no to Zieg. It’s true the two were “friends,” but never to a personal extent. The two had once been forced to fight each other, then refused. Assassins were sent after them for their defiance. Dirks saved Kaza, Zieg saved Dirks.

It was a simple friendship, but Dirks was starting to actually feel the plight of the demons.

Dirks listened carefully to Zieg’s plan of action, but did not respond when Zieg addressed him. A chilling silence washed through the room, but perhaps only Dirks felt it. He had to make a decision. Eventually he just spoke. “I don’t know Zieg. I’m not a general. No one knows your people better than you.” Dirks paused. He took a deep breath and continued, “I do know one thing, though. The war, this war, is not about land. It’s not about Haide. It’s about the extermination of the demons. If I were you, I would find the insider…the traitor. That way no more harm can befall your people while you are safely under the walls of Haidia.”

There was another brief silence. Dirks had made his decision. “I’m sorry Zieg, but I can’t help you any longer. I’m just the informant. This isn’t my war to fight.” When he finished speaking, Dirks fell back against the wall, defeated. He would look like a coward to his friend, but that was the choice he had to make. He had faced Salvar, the Tromboli, and a mob of angry Haidians. He almost died three times trying to be a hero. And not a hero to the people or of a race, but a hero to a friend.

It wasn’t his war to fight…

Zieg dil' Tulfried
01-18-08, 12:45 PM
Zieg merely sighed as Max made his proclamation about leaving. He knew his friend could only be pushed so far, and that it was his nature to escape from situations he did not feel comfortable in. It was what kept him alive. It seemed the human had never truly found something to fight for. All he had was himself and to preserve that, he always ran away. He was afraid.

While disappointed in his friend, he could not dwell on that loss. He had too much to do to try and convince Max to stay. He simply nodded, turning his attention back to the task at hand. Johannan had finally finished dressing and looked much better in his blood red armor, scythe in hand. A pounding knock resounded on the door and Zieg commanded, "Enter."

Commander Dlekthos entered the room, Zieg's helmet under his arm. "Sir, the men have been gathered outside, and there is a large group of demons in the plaza as well. And you seem to have forgotten this." He handed Zieg his helmet and stood at attention.

"Dismissed."

As Dlekthos left the room, Zieg turned his attention back to the general. "Sir, what happened to Aidos kar' Atron?"

Johannan chuckled, his sightless eyes focusing on nothing. "You mean the Crying King? He wanders around the ruins of the castle with his royal guard, weeping over all that has been lost. There has been no one to console the ten-year-old king. No one to console any of us." His face became very somber at his last sentence.

"Ah," Zieg replied. "I will have Kaza talk to him while I am in Salvar. The people need their king." The High General laid the child on the bed and covered him up, before replacing his helmet on his head. "Now, general. I must go before the people. You will be at my side." Placing Johannan's hand on one arm, he led the general out of the room and outside into the plaza. Watch Kaza, he told Xeppa.

Outside a crowd had indeed gathered. To Zieg's left, ranks upon ranks of demons stood at attention, most with tattered garments, and dented armor. To Zieg's right and front, citizens of Haidia had gathered, their numbers uncountable. The streets became silent upon the High General's entrance, all eagerly awaiting his instruction and leadership. The people desperately needed leadership. Commander Dlekthos had obviously had the foresight to erect a makeshift stage for him to stand upon. He climbed up and looked out over the crowd.

"People of Haidia. Soldiers of the Demon Army. We have been terribly wronged. We came peacefully to Haide, taking over land that was previously unoccupied. Salvar decided that we were a threat, despite our actions otherwise. I was turned away in Corone, with an attempt at capture, while on a diplomatic mission. This is unacceptable!" The crowds yelled in agreement and the soldiers pounded their chests.

It was at that moment that Max's statement rang in Zieg's mind. It is about the extermination of demons. It was at that moment that he knew what he must do. "Those of the world above hate us and they do not even know us. Two-thousand years ago we were branded with a name we do not deserve. Demons! We are not creatures of this underworld. No, we are not evil! It is a name that wrongs us!" The crowd roared again. "Well no more! From this day on, we are demons no longer. We, all of us, are Haidians!" This time the people erupted in excitement, the Haidians jubilant.

"For the time being we are trapped in this prison. We must rebuild. We must strengthen ourselves. We must prepare to strike! We must also catch a traitor. Someone has betrayed us. Any information on this person will be appreciated. Together we can take back what is ours!" Zieg stepped from the stage as the people cheered and ran to their homes to begin the rebuilding process. The Haidian knight stepped to Commander Dlekthos.

"Put men at every exit. Anyone who attempts to leave the city should be brought into custody and questioned. Also, post rotations for a guard throughout the city. Have anyone who is not on one of these details begin the rebuilding process for the headquarters. The Haidian Army must be ready."

Max Dirks
01-20-08, 11:28 PM
Dirks lowered his head, unable to look the demon general in the eyes. He felt as though he had become part of the shadows of Haidia. When Zieg left with Johannan, the demon didn’t even look him. It was though Zieg had forgotten Dirks was there. Of course, the general had better things to do than to say goodbye to an ‘informant.’ Dirks shook his head, angry with himself. Only Xeppa watched as Dirks exited the room.

Zieg had begun addressing the crowd by the time Dirks reached the foyer. Moving with Zieg’s disappointed look frozen in his mind, Dirks decided it would be better if he found a different way out of the fortress. He started walking its smashed right wing. There were many rooms along the hallway, though most were either empty or destroyed. Dirks peered into each one as he passed, hoping he wouldn’t have to confront another demon. Soon the wing’s ceiling became lower and lower, until Dirks was forced to crawl to continue further. Instead, he turned into one of the adjacent rooms.

The room had collapsed. The ceiling had fallen, hiding half of the room in rumble. All signs of life had been stripped from the room. There were no furnishings, trinkets or treasures other than wood from broken beds sprawled about. Dirks guessed this is where the soldiers had slept. Along the far wall, a large window had been broken when the ceiling collapsed. It would serve as his exit from the fortress, behind the crowd. Dirks didn’t want to encounter any more demon mobs, especially now when they had a reason to hunt him. He would escape through the caverns to Haide, for he did not want to run into any more Tromboli either.

A rare Haidian breeze blew through the room as Dirks approached the window. The stir caused something along the floor to blow up from under mass of rubble. It was a piece of parchment. Curious, Dirks pulled it from the ground. It was a note, written in common, though one corner had been burned off and the ink had been smudged. Dirks began to read:

I returned to my home in Vainta today only to find it looted and destroyed. Dwarves have occupied much of the city...those creatures have no regard for the heritage they have ruined...we have retaken the fortress, but the dwarves are relentless. They possess weapons of Salvar...there will be another battle here, at the fortress, soon...no matter what fate throws at us, I will proudly fight as a Haidian.

The crowd erupted outside. Dirks knew that his opportunity to leave unnoticed was thinning. He took one last look at the entry and the criminal’s stomach began to ache. The demons were being exterminated. Even the dwarves were attempting to sweep their memories from existence. But now the demons had Zieg and surely they would succeed. “It’s not my war…” Dirks whispered. The criminal let go of the parchment and it gracefully met the air. Without looking back, Dirks climbed out the window.

Zieg dil' Tulfried
01-22-08, 08:20 PM
Yet again, silence reigned in the streets. Once more, Zieg wandered the empty streets. However, it was for an entirely different purpose this time. The Haidians had been working diligently to rebuild the city, eager and excited under their new purpose. The working had been going on for nearly thirty-two hours, when Zieg was forced to reinstate the former sleep cycles of the underground region. The sullen red glow that always lit the area provided the builders with light to build nonstop, but injuries had begun to overtake the exhausted men and women.

So, like a parent of a young child, Zieg forced the people to their beds. Most had taken up residence in various tented areas to get rest, for their houses were not complete, while the few who had roofs built journeyed there for rest. The solitude was well received by the former demon, as he had worked as hard as his townspeople, if not harder. Within that thirty-two hour period, he had gotten a great deal accomplished. He had the army complete a census of the city and discovered that he had more people left than he had hoped.

A full million of the original eight million population remained, all residing in Vainta. Fortunately, the city held well over a million people, so there was no trouble there. An additional two-hundred thousand soldiers were added to his people, so he had a good force to use. Zieg was originally concerned that the human and elven populations within the city would be attacked out of anger, but were actually well received and all were considered Haidians. It was a cohesion unlike any Zieg had ever seen before. Unity is a grand thing.

The issue of the traitor had not been resolved yet, which definitely disturbed the knight. His lockdown of the city had been quickly undone, once he realized the people need wood and stone to rebuild. It was very unfortunate that he had made the proclamation, but what was done was done. It was likely the first of many mistakes. He was having a tough time running the city and the army. It was unfortunate that there was not a proper king to take the reins of the citizenry.

Kaza was doing what he could to comfort the ten-year-old King Aidos kar’ Atron. It was where his half-demon son was at this very moment in fact. Unfortunately, very little headway had been done. Zieg was going to have to pay him a visit. With his father dead and mother one of Theos’ many mistresses, Aidos had no one to look after him. Zieg hoped he could provide that direction to the young Haidian as he had already done to his people.

Commander Relak din’ Dlekthos was proving to be an able leader, eager to redeem himself after his previous mistake. With Zaketh missing and Johannan incapacitated, Dlekthos was an excellent substitute, rallying the men and organizing them well. He was very straightforward, very straightforward despite his earlier outburst. He always spoke his mind and was quite blunt, a trait Zieg appreciated. The High General would definitely be keeping an eye on him.

Zieg sighed and headed back to the spot where he had set up camp for himself. He needed to get some rest as well or he wouldn’t be up to the task of leading the people. The silence seemed to be his only comfort. It was no matter, he would persevere, just as always.

Max Dirks
01-23-08, 08:40 PM
It took two days for Dirks to reach the cavern that led to Haide. Zieg must have ordered troops to high alert, because demons were now actively patrolling all of the roads. The criminal would have reached the exit much earlier, but he was forced to take long detours to avoid being seen by the demons. After his second detour, Dirks began to make a game out of his stealth. He timed how long it took him to return to the road unseen after escaping a patrol. As childish as it seemed, the game allowed Dirks to temporarily ignore the horrible feeling in the pit of his stomach.

Soon the “sky,” Haidia’s huge granite ceiling, began to lower. It continued to sink until it met the rock wall border of the land. When Dirks could finally make out the entrance to the large cavern that led to the surface, he ducked off the main road and began sneaking along the rocky plains. Surely Zieg would have a large contingent of soldiers stationed at the only "known" entrance to the demon’s world. He started his count and began the game.

Much to his surprise, Dirks found only two soldiers guarding the entrance. They were heavily armed and armored, but certainly could not hold back an attacking force. The demons were holding spears and many swords and daggers were sheathed about their body. They also had bows strapped to their back. Dirks smirked. It would not be that hard to just make a run for it. The criminal could easily dodge thrown spears, and he would be deep within the cavern before the demons could nock their bows. Perhaps “escaping” Haidia would not be difficult as Dirks had thought it would be.

One…two…three, Dirks whispered to himself. Just as he started to dash, Dirks quickly changed directions and dove into a small gap. He slowly peaked above the rock. Just ahead, Dirks could see the unmistakable shine of a demon’s helmet. Another demon soldier was roughly 100 yards in front of Dirks, hidden in a small crevice. Now knowing what to look for, Dirks scanned the entire area, catching sight of nearly 20 more hidden soldiers. Some were armed as heavily as the first two he’d noticed, but others wore lighter armor and carried their bows in hand. If the Salvarian army marched out of the cavern, the demons would slaughter them before their eyes even adjusted to Haidia’s eerie glow. Zieg was quite the tactician. Dirks needed a new plan.

Dirks knew that he had very little time before the demons discovered his presence, so his plan involved very little thought. With a frown, Dirks reached into his trench coat and pulled out his ‘patented’ Beretta 950. He set the gun on the ground in front of him and began frantically searching his pockets for clips. Please tell me I didn’t use them all… Then he found what he was looking for: a single clip containing three shots. The shots were special explosive bullets, given to him by Kylin Rouge for his 2nd place finish in the Mistician Tournament. Dirks quickly exchanged clips.

Dirks hoped these particular demons had never encountered a gun before. Ideally they would run to the explosion itself instead of trying to uncover its source. When he was finished loading the gun, Dirks took aim at the rock wall. He aimed as far to the right as he thought the gun could fire. The border was at least 200 yards away and if the bullet hit the ground, the demons would not be convinced. With a deep breath, he fired.

The bullet struck the wall, causing huge boulders to rain from the sky. Dirks heard a demon call out, “They’re breaking through the wall! Attack!” The ploy had worked, at least temporarily. The demon that was hidden ahead of Dirks broke off in a sprint towards the explosion. His companions quickly followed suit. When the coast was reasonably clear, Dirks holstered his ‘patented’ Beretta and pulled out its twin. He began running as fast as he could towards the cavern door.

After 100 yards, Dirks’ breath began to leave him, but the criminal refused to break pace. Then it happened: one of the demons caught sight of Dirks. It yelled, “There! It’s the traitor! He’s trying to escape. Get him!” Shit. Jinxed. Unable to run any faster, Dirks did everything he could to maintain his pace without firing at the demons. When he was 50 yards away, arrows began zooming by his head. One narrowly missed lodging itself in the barrel of his gun.

Damn it, Dirks thought. He lifted his gun and fired randomly into the distance, being careful to aim away from the demons. The diversion seemed to work. The barrage of arrows stopped for a brief moment as his assailants ducked at the noise of the gun. 20 yards left. The peace was short-lived, though. In a few moments the arrows continued. When Dirks was within feet of the cavern entrance, an arrow caught him in the calf, causing him to trip to the ground. The rocks scraped his hands and his face as he fell hard against them. Determined to escape, Dirks forced himself to continue. He crawled into the cavern and hid in a small antechamber.

“Don’t let him get away!” one of the demon soldiers called out. In response, Dirks leaned around the opening and fired another wild shot out into Haidia. “Wait!” another soldier responded. “The Salvarians control all of Vla’toros. For all we know, their entire army could be waiting to retrieve the traitor. I know you hate him, we all do, but rushing in there is suicide!” The demons roared their dissatisfaction, but the arrows finally stopped flying into the opening. “You there,” Dirks heard the same soldier n say, “Send a message to the General. Inform him the traitor has escaped to Haide.” Dirks heard armor banging as the demon ran off.

Dirks waited for a moment before he got up. Surely the demons were still looking for signs of movement within the cavern. Once he grew accustomed to the different lighting and to the pain in his calf, Dirks slid against the wall to his feet, and limped up towards the service. He was very careful not to expose himself to them. When the gloom of Haidia disappeared, Dirks stopped and pulled the arrow from his leg with a loud groan. He tossed it aside, and swore.

“Hey, I think I beat my old record.”

Zieg dil' Tulfried
01-25-08, 01:43 PM
The next "morning," the work continued intensely. Zieg watched with pride as old, scarred buildings fell, and new healthy buildings arose. Haidian worked with Haidian, putting the pieces of their lives back together. The Headquarters rose as quickly as the rest of the city, the skeleton structure of the primary part of the lower floor was finished, stone and mortar quickly rising up around it. With the rebuilding, Zieg had ordered that the building be made identical to that which had been built in Haide. The new building was to be five stories tall, with the two wings longer than previously. It would easily hold all of the army in one location.

Kaza and Xeppa had yet to return from the ruins of the castle, so Zieg was on his own to survey the work being done. Commander Dlekthos had taken command of the troops, leaving the High General free to oversee all of the work being done. He had ordered all the conscription of all able bodied men and, when they working on the rebuilding, had them training vigorously. It brought the size of his army up to six-hundred thousand men. There was so much to do, some of which Zieg likely had not even thought of yet.

He was just walking back to the Headquarters from a survey of the city when loud voices erupted behind him. Turning back with one hand on his blade, Zieg saw two soldiers running toward him. He began walking toward them and moments later they stopped before him, saluting.

"Sir! The traitor has escaped back to Salvar!" the first exclaimed. Anger crossed Zieg's features and the soldier flinched.

"How did this happen?" Zieg asked through strained breath. The second soldier stepped forward, much more composed than the first.

"He carried some kind of explosive weapon. It caught us off guard. We did get a look at him though, and even hit him in the leg with an arrow. He had black hair and was definately human." Zieg relaxed a fraction, realizing that the man they attacked was likely Max Dirks. He knew that human carried a gun capable all sorts of tricks.

"Get back to your post. Do not let anyone past you. Understand? That is an order you would do well to obey." The men saluted and ran back out of the city. Not five seconds later another outburst erupted in the city. Screams of fright could be heard from Zieg's right. Slipping into a light jog, the knight made his way through the cluttered streets, and five streets found the source of the noise. A crowd had gathered around a collapsed figure in the street. A cloak covered his limp features.

Zieg pushed through the crowds and knelt before the prone person. Turning him over, Zieg pulled back the cloak from his face. It revealed a very beaten and cut face that he recognized. The elven features were unmistakable. It was Dera'losta'nofa, one of the few elves that Zieg considered a friend. He was injured very badly and his clothes ripped in numerous places. Blood seeped from poorly bandaged wounds.

Lifting the light elf in his arms, he turned to a soldier that had taken notice of the event. "Call a medic and bring him to the headquarters now!" Then, Zieg carefully carried Dera through the streets.

Max Dirks
01-27-08, 11:38 PM
The path to the surface was much longer than Dirks suspected. Dirks’ leg had gone numb and he could no longer feel the spot where the arrow had entered his body. Blood still flowed from the wound. His pants had absorbed as much as liquid as possible, but now the blood was dropping onto the rocks at his feet. If the demons changed their mind and pursued him into the cave, they would have no trouble finding where Dirks had gone. Despite this, the criminal pushed on. An arrow would not stop Max Dirks.

Time passed, but Dirks was unsure of how much. His movement became staggered and he was getting dizzy. Soon the dizziness turned to nausea. It became so bad that soon he was forced to stop and lean against the rock wall. Dirks winced when a sudden jolt of pain passed up his leg and through his body. Why hadn’t the wound closed? Why was he still bleeding? Dirks pushed off the wall and continued up the tunnel. After taking a few steps, he fell to the ground and closed his eyes.

When he finally opened his eyes again, Dirks was greeted by the glorious white of daylight. He looked down to find that he was still in the cave. Had it been night earlier? Is that why he hadn't seen the exit before? Dirks was unsure of how he had arrived at the exit, but felt slightly rejuvenated as the light blinded his eyes. Ignoring the pain, Dirks climbed to his feet and slowly began to stumble towards the light.

After he emerged, Dirks stood still for a long moment to allow his eyes to adjust to the brightness. The gloom of Haidia quickly became a memory. Dirks was on a cliff face, overlooking a city. His vision was still fuzzy, but Dirks could make out green meadows and grassy plains upon which the city had been built. He was in Haide. This truly would be a paradise for the demons, which were forced to live their entire existence in the shadows.

Dirks remembered what Zieg had told him. There were two Vla’toros. One was in Haidia and another was built by the demons on the surface, in Haide. This must be the second Vla’toros. The city, though, was not how Zieg had described it. Homes and buildings had been destroyed. Smoke rose from the far corners of the city. It was no longer grand. Dirks could not make out any movement in the city below. His heart felt heavy when he realized the demons that sought refuge in the city with General Zaketh must have been captured…or more likely, killed. Dirks did not see any Salvarian guards either. Did the Salvarians believe they had extinguished the demons? Dirks was nervous, but he knew that he had to go to the city to treat his wounds. Cautiously, he began his decent of the cliff. He moved slowly as his fatigue quickly returned. He lost his breath, and felt as though he was going to collapse again.

When he reached the city, Dirks found that most of the buildings in this section of the city had been burned. He continued to stumble until he passed an alley between two destroyed homes. Dirks peered down, and shook his head at what he saw. Two demons, a male and a female, lay next to each other, charred and slain. Birds were busy picking at their clothing. Dirks limped towards the demons and shooed away the pests.

“I’m sorry, friends.” Dirks said, falling next to the them. Severely weakened, he forced himself against the wall and dug into his boot. He pulled out his dirk and cut off a long strip of the male demon’s clothing. Then he ripped the leg of his pants, revealing the arrow wound. It was still bleeding, and it was beginning to infect. He wrapped the cloth around his leg and pulled tightly. A searing pain erupted from his leg.

Then Dirks realized the source of his plight. A piece of the arrowhead and broken off and lodged itself in Dirks’ calf. But when he pulled the cloth around the wound, the arrowhead had buried itself out of the reach of Dirks’ fingers. He cursed and picked up his dirk. He opened the wound as wide as possible with his fingers and began fishing for the arrowhead with his dirk. He did not feel the blade as it cut his skin, but he cried in pain as the dirk brushed his muscle. Dirks fumbled with the blade on the edge of consciousness. After a long minute of pain, Dirks finally was able to manipulate the piece out of his leg. He was once again painted in fresh blood.

Dirks pulled the cloth tight against his calf and tied it, finally setting the wound. He sighed in relief and fell back against the building.

Suddenly someone shouted, “You there! Drop your weapon and place your arms above your head.” Lost in a daze, Dirks dropped his dirk but did not immediately raise his arms into the air. He reached to the dead demon first. “On your feet,” the person shouted. Dirks struggled, but was able to stand. He found himself face to face with a well armed Salvarian soldier. Of course, the soldier was the last thing he saw before the nausea finally overtook him. Dirks closed his eyes and fell back onto the ground, unconscious.

Zieg dil' Tulfried
01-29-08, 10:00 PM
After a long wait outside of one of the completed rooms of the Headquarters, Zieg was finally allowed to see his close friend, Dera, after a long intensive treatment by the medic. The medic had informed Zieg that Dera had been badly injured in an outrageous number of ways: beaten, bitten, and cut, as well as had a number of broken limbs. He was shocked that the elf had made it as far as he had. The medic informed Zieg that Dera was awake and quite conscious, but weak.

Zieg understood completely and went quietly into the room. Dera was sitting up in the bed, his head and arms bandaged fully. The pale elf smiled timidly at the entrance of the Haidian. "Zieg," Dera said, barely above a whisper.

"My friend, you look awful. What happened? I was told that you had left for Raiaera the moment you heard of the invasion. Were you captured by the Salvarians?" Zieg sat down in a wooden chair that sat at the bedside. Dera's head shook slowly, a grim expression on his face.

"Were it only that. Althanas is in chaos. Raiaera is under attack by the undead yet again, and when I tried to enter the nation, I was ambushed. Fortunately, I know how to defend myself, especially against the undead, and made it out alive, though not without injury." The elf's breathing became labored as he attempted to continue his story.

"No, Dera. Get your rest, I do not need the full tale now. The fact that you are alive is much more important to me." Dera closed his eyes, but his words continued.

"Zieg, you must have a full report to be able to decide what to do. I journeyed to Corone to find it in civil war, with reports of Salvar in their own civil war. Reports from Alerar were bleak as well. As for Dheathian and Fallien, well, who truly knows what goes on in those places. I went to the secret entrance to Haidia in Corone and made my way down here, but the way was plagued by Tromboli. They have overrun my former home of Vla'toros and I was attacked many times on my way here. I knew I must make it back here." Zieg nodded at mention of the Tromboli. "Zieg, what happened to you? All above ground, myself included, assumed you dead, as you were in Salvar at the time of the invasion."

Zieg patted the elf gently on the hand. "Rest, my friend, and I will tell you my story. I was in Salvar trying to broker a diplomatic alliance ironically at the same time as they were invading my home. I discovered something amiss, so I left the room about the time that twelve well armored men came in to kill me. I hid for weeks, waiting for a time to escape the city and get back here. Word from Haide was very bleak and it nearly unnerved me. However, I did manage to escape and made it back here a few days ago to the same sight that greeted you, only it was worse, as everyone had lost hope. Zaketh is imprisoned by the Salvarians and Johannan is blind, by the magick of the Salvarians. I am so glad you are alive. I need your help and guidance, Dera. I feel so overwhelmed."

Dera smiled once more and looked deep into Zieg's eyes. "Then I am glad that I have returned."

Max Dirks
02-06-08, 10:16 PM
It was cold, but Dirks was not dead. He felt his foot tingle. The sensation shot up his leg and entered his torso. When it reached his head, Dirks jerked back into consciousness. Everything was dark, and his cheek felt heavy. Had he been blindfolded? Dirks tried to move his hands up to his face, but found that they were tied to the chair below him.

“Oh, you’re awake.” A heavy voice called. Dirks heard footsteps and a door slammed.

Moments later, the door creaked open and Dirks heard several people enter the room. Metal scratched upon the floor a chair was occupied and he felt a breeze against his face as more people moved past him. A rush of dizziness finally hit Dirks as the noises settled.

“Who are you?” a man’s voice asked. It came from the person seated directly in front of Dirks. The criminal did not immediately answer, prompting the man to repeat, “I asked, who are you?” The man slammed something down on what Dirks immediately suspected was a table separating the two.

“I heard you,” Dirks answered slowly. The criminal could hear the man catch his breath when Dirks spoke. “I’m just a street rat.”

The man was not pleased. “You’re pretty heavily armed for a rat. These blades,” Dirks heard the sound of one of his katanas being pulled from its sheath. “Are they prevalida? And aren’t these the weapons of Alerar?”

“Well, a man has to protect himself,” Dirks quipped.

“Hmm,” the man sounded intrigued. “And what, pray tell, were you doing in an alleyway in my city? There was no record of a man meeting your description passing through the checkpoints.”

“That’s because I came from Haidia.”

Dirks heard the people surrounding him rustle. He swore he heard someone behind him begin to unsheathe a sword. At this, Dirks started fiddling with his binds. The man stood, and the rustling stopped. “And what were you doing in that accursed land?”

“Looting.” Dirks replied.

There was a long pause. “Well, it doesn’t look like you did a very good job. You only had two Theos on you. Aren’t these the equivalent to a demon GP? Looks like you made quite the bounty…” the man laughed. Dirks smirked. He had almost broken free of the ropes and only needed to stall for a moment longer.

“I picked up the swords too.” Dirks said. Before the man could answer, Dirks felt the rope loosen around his hands. Without wasting a moment, he stood from his chair and ripped the blindfold off of his face. He was in a dark room, surrounded by Salvarian soldiers. They were clad in lighter gear than usual, most likely due to Haide’s balmy conditions. At Dirks’ movements, the soldiers quickly pulled out their swords and held them to the criminal. Dirks picked up the chair and swung it around wildly to prevent any swords from getting too close.

“Enough of this,” the man yelled. “Who are you?”

“I’m done answering to you, soldier.” Dirks called out. He had to sell this. “I answer only to Lord Ashiakin. Take me to him now and pray he does not learn of your treachery.”

“You know Ashiakin?” the man asked. Dirks became tense when the man did not use the general’s formal title. They weren’t buying it. Or perhaps the Salvarians weren’t as formal as Zieg and the Haidians.

“Of course I do, I am his man.” Dirks responded.

There was a long pause, and then the man spoke to his soldiers. “Lower your weapons.” The soldiers obeyed and the man turned back to Dirks. “I’m sorry, sir. I’d be happy to take you to him,” Dirks lowered his chair. He began to speak, but the man continued, “but you are not the first person to exit Haidia and use the exact same name.”

Before Dirks could react, something hard struck him in the back of the head. He slumped to the ground and was unconscious once more.

Zieg dil' Tulfried
02-17-08, 12:02 PM
The work raged on within the city of Vainta. Buildings were quickly appearing, quickly finished. Citizens helped one another once their own houses were built. While the city was not close to the grandeur of the past, it was becoming livable once again. The Haidian people had banded together for a common goal, which was quickly being attained.

Zieg was not any closer to finding the traitor that had betrayed his people. There were numerous leads, but none brought definitive evidence pointing to any single person. He was at a loss as to how to find this mysterious person. He was beginning to wonder if he was still in Haidia at all.

((I've started. Still trying to determine what to do. You can go ahead and post, I'll just edit this one.))

Mordelain
09-11-13, 09:10 AM
Trial for new judgement type.

No Rubric Judgement

Max Dirks receives 1050 experience and 200 gold.

Zieg receives 997 experience and 175 gold.

Mordelain
09-11-13, 09:12 AM
Experience and gold added.