PDA

View Full Version : Blades to the Sky

Twelfth
01-23-08, 08:28 PM
`I'd been to the marketplace a few times before with my father but the sheer size of The Bazaar is utterly...well, daunting, I guess, is the word I'd use. I've only come here for one thing but I've been sidetracked constantly. Apothecaries, armories, butcher shops, road side carts, and even some stores that sold things I couldn't puzzle out. The sheer variety has been one part of the problem, but another has been the people. At least twice in the two hours I've been stuck here the crowd moving down the street stopped and packed so tight I could barely breathe. The reason, I'd heard, was stray cattle, but a handful of times I felt someone's hand go for my wallet. If I could have gotten my sword, I have made made sure they'd have begun to consider honest work. It's a decidedly different world from the tranquil cold of Salvar...`

Tyr tapped the tip of his pen several times against the sheaf of paper he held in his hand, blotting the period that had marked the end of his thought in an uneven black splatter. The brick wall of a printer's shop pressed against his back, and the crowd that he had begun to develop something of a disdain for milled around him, carrying bundles of this or that in their arms. Fiddling with his pen, he stared blankly across the street for a few moments, lost in thought. He was fairly sure the armory he'd finally come across in his meanderings had what he wanted, but he supposed the only way to make sure was to go in and ask. After visiting seven of them and getting the same answer, his patience was starting to wear thin.

Stowing away the pad and pen, the swordsmen grunted as he pushed off the wall and walked forward towards the crowd, stretching his stiff legs. A shoulders thumped into his, and he pushed back with equal force. He'd learned some time ago the only way to deal with these people was to be about as ignorant as them. Before he reached the shop, his feet had been stepped on three times, and he found himself thankful for the steel toes in his boots.

"I'm uh, looking for a polearm," Tyr announced when he was finally inside the shop, glancing around nervously. The trip into the Bazaar had frazzled his nerves, and it was showing in his tired face.

"More specifically, a trident. I've only got two hundred gold pieces on me, though."

Moonlit Raven
01-26-08, 01:11 PM
For along moment Elena stared at the frazzled man on the other side of the counter thinking that he must have had a rough day. Blinking to pull herself out from her silent study of the man she nodded.

"We do carry one or two tridents. I know that Haldis, our blacksmith, can also forge one if you give him two days to complete it." Elena bent down the young boy that stood near her and whispered in his ear, a moment later he scampered off for the back room.

"I'm Elena and if you'll follow me I'll show you what's in stock." Elena rounded the counter gesturing for the man to follow her as she headed for a corner cluttered with spears, pikes, javelins, staffs and halberds. Shifting items around she found the tridents behind several quarterstaves and inspected them for damage and quality.

The young boy, little more than eight or nine years of age appeared a few moments later carrying a small tray with a cup of tea and a bowl of sugar. Glancing at the boy she turned to look at her customer.

"Have a cup of tea, you look at your wit's end. If you prefer something harder I'm sure I have some rum around here, somewhere."

Twelfth
01-29-08, 01:18 AM
Too tired to refuse as most of the stubborn Wulfgurd would, and wait for the woman at the front of the store, Tyr sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Two days would be fine," the tired swordsman muttered, eyes closed, face turned to the floor, his hand still on his nose. "Providing you don't have anything in my price range right now. I don't have a place to stay in Corone yet, and I was hoping to finish things today."

Tyr arched his back and rose up on the tips of his toes, stretching as Elena rummaged through the polearms. It was good to have finally found a place who could supply him with what he needed, and just as pleasant to get out of the hustle and bustle of the bazaar crowd.

The man's mind wandered far enough that he didn't even notice the child, and barely heard Elena. "Oh, uh, what?" He blinked, and glanced at the two before finally understanding that he was being offered some unexpected hospitality.

"Oh, uh, no thanks. I don't drink tea. It sort of a family thing. And I try not to drink liquor. The last time I did some awful things happened. Thanks anyway. Did you find anything there I can afford?"

Moonlit Raven
02-01-08, 09:29 PM
Nodding Elena managed to suppress the smirk forming. She waved Kale away, sending him back towards the backroom to put the tea away and bug Gorv. I just know I'll hear shouting in a few minutes. Apprentices are a mixed gift.

"Yeah, there is a oak and steel trident in excellent repair. It's of average craftsmanship, the cost of it is 150 gold."

Twelfth
02-06-08, 07:04 PM
"That'll do well enough, miss. Thank you."

Tyr hunched over, digging through his pockets, shifting her and there. Finally, he produced a small pouch of cured leather. Working the mouth of it open with his fingers, he produced a multitude of shining gold coins, sifted through them, and walked over to the counter setting them down.

"Any chance you have a sling for this? I'd hate to have to carry it around everywhere in my arms. It'd be a bit awkward, too." The swordsman took the trident in hand, admiring it's work. A sliver of vigor had seemed to return top his appearance now that he'd gotten what he'd spent several taxing hours looking for. The oak shaft had been tinted blue, and the blades were colored a light gold shade. In short, it was perfect. Nearly exactly what he'd been looking for.

Smiling to himself, Tyr fiddled with the polearm as he waited for word on the sling.

Moonlit Raven
02-11-08, 07:53 PM
After a moment of thought Elena nodded.

"I'm certain there is a sling that could be used. Every weapon in my shop has the counter part for carrying it. I normally wait until someone asks for it. Many people carry swords and do not need to buy additional items." Turning Elena scanned the upper shelf nearby. Smiling a bit sheepishly, she pointed out a sling made just for tridents well out of her reach.

"If you could grab that leather sling, it goes with the weapon you wanted. I'm afraid that it's too high up for me and I simply refuse to climb the shelves in front of a customer."