PDA

View Full Version : Return trip to the Akashiman

Edward Judorne
01-29-08, 01:21 AM
Please let Adventwings do this one.

It had been at least six months since Edward had visited the Akashiman, but today he found himself once again at it's doorstep. It wasn't your normal visit to a smithy either. The last time he was here, he had brought in a broken rapier and ended up leaving it with the smithy in hopes that he would be able to make some use out of it.

Edward stood at the doorstep for a bit. Why was he here anyway? He was in need of a decent sheath to hold his weapon on his person with, but if he could see what the smithy had done with the broken weapon, he might be convinced to trade his rapier in for it instead, if it was of good enough quality.

After about a minute of thinking this over, Edward opened the door and entered the Akashiman. He was happy to see that after all this time, the Smithy that worked here hadn't changed, because otherwise it would have been a somewhat pointless trip. The place had been left in decent shape too, the weapons that lined the walls looked as if they had just been polished, and the floors, though dusty, looked cleaner than he remembered.

"Good day. It has been a while. How you been since I left my broken rapier with you?"

AdventWings
01-29-08, 02:23 PM
Although it was a typical day at the general Bazaar, Jirou had been at work in the forge since the cries of the morning crow.

Even in his tired state, for some reason the blacksmith did not forget faces easily. Luckily, Edward's face was one of them he had vivid memories of.

"Ah, hello again." The blacksmith greeted his customer. "I take it you came to see your old sword?"

It did not take long for him to find the fencer's old blade - While the rapier remained relatively unchanged by the smith, the old and broken blade was replaced by a steel-delyn alloy the blacksmith had pioneered. Although it was just slightly more flexible than a normal rapier blade would, it had the advantage of being just the slight bit more resilient to magical energies directed at it - beneficial or not, it could at least reduce the effect by a minor degree.

"I've refitted the blade with a special steel-delyn alloy, you see." Jirou proudly displayed his masterpiece, the tan-colored blade glimmering in the sunlight. "It's a little heavier, but it'll be a lot stronger than just your regular steel rapier. So, what do you think?"

Edward Judorne
01-30-08, 12:24 AM
Edward inspected the blade carefully. He was impressed at the craftsmanship. There was only one thing that puzzled him.

"It's been around half a year since I last was here, and you held on to it for me? How'd you know I'd return for it?"

Suddenly remembering the original question, Edward spoke up again.

"To answer your question, it's excellent workmanship, and depending on the cost, I may just trade this rapier in for it. I would say that it looked flimsy, but rapiers usually do look that way. In reality, for a rapier, it looks extremely durable. So, if I were to trade in the rapier I bought from you before, how much extra would I have to pay?"

AdventWings
01-31-08, 06:26 AM
Jirou had not thought about that. While it did present a prime opportunity for a bartering system to work out fine, the blacksmith genuinely believed the fencer was just going to simply buy the blade to accompany the magic-facilitating one. A used sword meant reduced price... but he was not sure if the buy was worth it for Edward. After all, the reason Jirou suggested Damascus was because of its magical properties.

"Well... If you want to trade that Damascus rapier in, I'll accept it back at 450 pieces. I'm willing to let this one go for six hundred, labor and material cost and all... so that would be a total of a hundred and fifty extra you will need to pay for."

It was a rather steep price. For a hundred and fifty, Jirou knew he could get a shorter blade, more or less a dagger, to use as the main-gauche companion. Why the fencer opted for a new main blade that did not work better to facilitate his magical abilities was a mystery to the smith, but he had no place to complain under this circumstance.

Edward Judorne
02-19-08, 05:22 AM
It was tempting, but edward decided to hold off for the moment.

"You know, Perhaps I'm getting too sentimental about that sword. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have it back, but I really shouldn't make a decision one way or another until I see what you have for sale as far as a sheath or belt to hold a rapier in is concerned. I'm looking for something mostly leather, but with an inch or two of a rounded metal tip. Got anything like that?" Edward asked after much thought.

AdventWings
02-22-08, 12:52 AM
Jirou let out a frown at the mention of "Leather" as he had no idea how to work one. He was a blacksmith, after all, not a one-stop shop for an adventurer's adventuring needs. He could try making one, but the last time he helped Miri do anything related to leather it was punching holes in the toughened hide.

"Hmm... No, I'm afraid I can't help you with that." The blacksmith sighed. "However, if you walk down that way about four or five doors down, there's a weapon shop that does have some of those for sale. You should try looking there, although their prices on weapons are a little more expensive than mine."

The large man said with a small grin.

Edward Judorne
02-22-08, 02:31 AM
Edward shuddered at the thought of higher prices.

"I'll wait on that one, I can't very well visit my favorite shopkeeper and not buy anything, though." Edward said frowning as he looked at his old chain mail and realized it was just that, old.

"How about we talk armor? What you got for chainmail that is around 400 gold? I'd also like to see if I can trade my Steel chainmail in for some extra cash so I'll still have enough to go and purchase that sheath later on today... Assuming, of course, that you will take it, and that what I can buy is better than this." Edward said placing the chain mail on the counter. It was in perfect condition save for 3 loose chain links, and a few dents in some of the links.

"Sorry if it's a bit beat up, but I did my best to avoid damaging it."

AdventWings
02-24-08, 10:38 PM
Jirou assessed the damages on Edward's old chainmail, seeing that while it was rather worn it was still effective at what it served. Factoring the wear and tear along with the quality, he figured it might be enough to cover the customer's future purchase.

"I'll give you two hundred Crowns for the steel chainmail, sir. As for a new chainmail under 400, you can get one with Plynt. However, I strongly advise against it because it's, well, flammable." The blacksmith shuddered at the thought of being set on fire while running through the battlefield. "The next best option is to go for Damascus, but that's going to cost you closer to 500 Crowns. You could get a high-quality steel mail for about 400, but anything else is going to cost a bit more."

Edward Judorne
02-27-08, 12:15 PM
Edward nearly laughed when he heard this. Last time he was here he bought a Damascus Rapier. It was the best he could afford. Now He was going to end up buying more Damascus. He was doomed to have Damascus unless he were to settle for a weaker metal for his Sheath when he stopped at the shop that had been mentioned earlier, or he didn't get the sheath with metal. If that was the case, he may be able to purchase something a bit more pricey.

"I'm Curious. How much would it cost to get it in Delyn?" Edward Inquired.

AdventWings
03-10-08, 03:21 AM
He almost felt sorry for the poor fellow. So far, the only items in his price range were those made with Damascus. With his luck, the fencer would be known in the legends as "Damascus Man." While there was nothing wrong with the name, it certainly came off a bit comical. At least to the blacksmith.

"Well, a chainmail of Delyn would more or less cost you about 700 Crowns. I could search around for a rather used one, if you want. Granted, it's nothing compared to a well-made shirt but it would certainly be as sturdy as the best Steel ones. It'll be a lot cheaper, that's a certainty. Maybe even enough for you to afford."

Edward Judorne
03-12-08, 12:10 PM
Edward started doing the math but finally shook his head.

"Naw, if there is one thing I know, it's that when you live a lifestyle like mine, it's best not to accept worn armor. You need all your equipment to be at it's finest because you never know what you will end up having to face next. I will keep that Delyn mail in mind for once I'm able to afford it, though. same with the rapier, if it's still available when I'm able to afford it." Edward assured the shopkeep as he put 357 crowns on the table.

"That plus my old armor should cover the expenses for the Damascus mail, I believe. Now, I'm not sure how much repairs would cost on that old armor, but as I stated I think shop armor should always be in the best possible condition, so I threw in a little extra to help with the repair costs. That way, it would be much better suited for whoever picks it up next. If there's any extra, maybe you could treat yourself to lunch." Edward stated, as he pocketed the other 200 gold and waited for the shopkeep to get the Damascus Mail for him.

I'll do the other transactions in this thread too, if you don't mind. If you do mind, just let me know via PM

AdventWings
03-26-08, 05:37 AM
The blacksmith inspected Edward's old set of steel chainmail, noting all the small scratches to the individual rings and finding some of the anchors coming loose. While it was not quite up to scratch to be sold as it was, with a bit of repairs the mail shirt would be more than adequate for an upstart young mercenary. Only the Great Aozor knows how many young men and women are hitting the road working as one nowadays.

"Alright, I guess that should cover the cost of your new Damascus chainmail, sir. Please wait one moment."

Disappearing into the storage room, the blacksmith took his time finding the item for Edward and made sure it was the right size as well. Nothing is worse than a piece of armor too large for the owner. Returning with the mail shirt in his arm, he laid it out on the counter before taking the swordsman's old armor and the pile of golden coins to a safe place.

"So, anything else you would like to purchase, sir?"

Edward Judorne
03-26-08, 01:08 PM
"Yes, there are plenty of other things I'd like to purchase, but money isn't so easy coming these days. I think I'll wait on any other purchases from this store for the moment. Let's see, you said 4 or 5 doors down for my sheath, right? I guess that will be my next stop then. By the way, If it's not too much to ask, could you also refer me to a tailor in this region? I'm interested to see if I can get a better cape too." Edward replied after a bit of thinking to make sure he hadn't forgotten anything.

AdventWings
03-27-08, 04:02 AM
It was one of those things that just happen when you work in a place where there were a lot of competition. You end up knowing a lot of people, yet for one reason or another you became reluctant to help them out. It meant that customers might find another store that was better than yours or that they end up not bothering to come to you afterwards. One could call it Merchant's Paranoia. Jirou calls it such, anyway.

Fighting through the sinking feeling he might lose a customer, despite the fact Edward had spoken plainly that he intended to come back, Jirou thought for a long two minutes before coming up with a name of the store.

"Yeah, I think there's one two doors down from that store I mentioned." He stated, appearing as normal as always. "Just look for a store with a set of mannequins wearing jackets and dresses. That place should have something you might like."

Of course, Jirou wasn't going to give the customer it's name. It would have been too easy for them to get a customer through referral than for someone to find the blacksmith's own place on their own.

Edward Judorne
03-31-08, 04:44 AM
It had always been Edward's specialty to read between the lines, to understand any situation better than most, to see and react to the most subtle of hints as to what someone else was thinking. While this fact usually applied to combat, it also sometimes applied to everyday life, as was the case today. The shopkeeper seemed concerned about something, and Edward could easily guess what it was, but it almost seemed funny to him when he thought about it.

"Why you getting so worked up over my question. I wouldn't go shopping for a pet at a smithy's, nor would I go cape shopping in your shop. I'd understand your worries if I was asking for another shop that sold what you sell, but when one shop doesn't make what I need and I don't know where to find one that does, I need directions from someone in the know. Somebody like yourself. If I need armor or weapons, I'll be stopping by at your shop again, I promise." Edward said, trying to reassure the shopkeep, as he exited the shop with his purchase.
-------------
Edward followed the directions the shopkeeper had given him to find the shop where he'd hopefully be able to purchase a sheath for his rapier. Edward rang the bell on the desk and waited for someone to help him.

AdventWings
04-07-08, 09:36 PM
Edward, the young merchant of the store, was checking some knives in the store when he heard the bell rang. Turning to see the fencer waiting at the front desk, the seller of merchandise placed down a set of hunting knives and casually walked back to his post. The day was rather slow and he was lucky to have customer at the time.

He wanted to blame it on the war that had been raging near and far, but it also meant he wsa getting more orders from the Coronian Army than before.

"Hello, sir." Edward grinned, answering his customer's presence with his usual spiel. "How may I help you today?"

Edward Judorne
04-10-08, 08:46 AM
Edward nodded at the shopkeeper, out of respect more than anything else.

"I'm looking for a leather Sheath for my rapier with the last half inch of the tip of some kind of metal. I'm going to say that Steel would be good as far as the metal is concerned, for now, and as far as the leather is concerned, I don't want anything too flimsy. Can you help me out? also, I'd like to know the price on that compared to a Damascus and Delyn tipped sheath, if you don't mind." Edward said, placing his rapier on the counter so the shopkeeper could get an idea of the length of the sheath He needed.

AdventWings
04-15-08, 04:58 AM
The shopkeeper nodded while he thumbed through a tome of leather sheaths, noting the price range of each kinds. His eyes glanced over the thin sword momentarily before returning to the tome.

"Alright, sir. That would be fifteen Crowns for one with a Steel cap, twenty for one in Damascus and twenty-five for Delyn."

The prices were rather high, even if Edward did not want to admit it. However, excellent sheaths were hard to come by and this store had the new shipments in only a few days ago. He was certain the customer would love to use them.

"If you'd like, I could bring each one out for you to take a look at."

Edward Judorne
04-16-08, 01:43 AM
Edward was expecting high prices, and that was what he got. There was, however, the matter that they were't as high as the shopkeeper at the Akashiman made them out to be. As Edward thought back to that shop, he suddenly had an idea. Quickly, Edward made his decision. "I think I'll take a damascus tipped one, sir. I've got one stop to make before I'm done shopping, so I need to save some money." Edward said, placing the money on the table for the shopkeep.

AdventWings
04-19-08, 04:43 AM
"Yes, sir. I'll be back in a moment."

Edward the storekeeper disappeared into the stockroom to find the requested scabbard. It did take him a while to locate the item, the shopkeeper reminding himself to have a word with the storehand whom he left organizing the shelves that morning, and returned to the front of the store with a smear of black polish on his face and shirt.

"Here you go, sir. One Damascus-tipped rapier scabbard. That would be twenty Crowns, total."

Edward Judorne
04-21-08, 08:59 AM
Edward picked up his scabbard and put the money on the table. He then returned to the Akashiman with a smile.

"Hey, I've been thinking, why buy a new cape when you could likely help me improve the one I have to be better than any new cape I could buy. I was wondering if it would be possible to inlay a sheet of a foot by 2 foot Delyn chain into the back of my cape."

AdventWings
04-30-08, 08:00 AM
Jirou blinked several times before his mind registered the boy's request.

Well, that certainly was quick. The blacksmith breathed a sigh and returned to the counter, picking up a notepad and a piece of charcoal on the way there.

"OK, I see. Yes, I think I can do that. That would be a total of sixty Crowns, sir. Would that be alright, sir?"

Edward Judorne
04-30-08, 08:25 AM
Edward nodded as he put down the 60 gold and his cape.

"I know that you don't normally get requests like this, and I know this request will likely take at least one day because of that, but as long as it gets done, I'm ok with it. Still, just out of curiousity, any idea how long this will take?" Edward asked.

AdventWings
04-30-08, 09:03 AM
"About two days should be fine, sir." Jirou replied, taking the cape and inspecting its design. Scribbling a note and handing it to Edward, he added with the usual gruffness of his voice.

"Please return on the day after tomorrow with the order slip, sir. I'll have it done by then."

Edward Judorne
05-01-08, 09:26 AM
And once again, I had to give an IC reason for the money I gained from quests while waiting for the bazaar. I love this site. ;)

Edward left the shop and went to pick up a little extra spending money from his hometown so he could buy his old rapier back. He returned late in the day 2 days later, so late, in fact, that it was only 20 minutes before the shop closed.

"Edward opened the door and smiled. Sorry, had to pick up some money I had stashed away. If you still have it, I can buy the broken rapier you fixed, too. If not, I understand." Edward said when he realized how late in the day it was.

With that, Edward placed the sales slip on the counter. "So, is the cape ready for pickup?"

AdventWings
05-14-08, 10:28 PM
The man had come at just the right time - Jirou had only finished with the cape and was hanging it up on a rack when Edward came in.

"Welcome back. I'll get the rapier for you, sir."

The blacksmith did not disappear for long. Having anticipated the return, he had kept the blade on a stand in the next room. With the wares ready for sales, he got right down to business.

"Here you go, sir. Six hundred for the Delyn-Steel Rapier. Your cape is right over there on the hanging rack, sir."

Edward Judorne
05-15-08, 08:20 AM
Edward placed the 600 crowns on the counter and grabbed his cape and his old rapier before walking out the door.

"Thank you again." he said as he left the shop.

whew. that was a long bazaar thread. thanks for letting me do all that shopping in one go. ;)

AdventWings
05-16-08, 05:27 AM
((Transaction Complete!

Edward loses... Oy, lemme take some time tallying everything up! :p

Alright, done!

Edward loses the following items:

- Steel Chainmail
- 1,037 GP

And receives the following:

- Damascus Chainmail
- Damascus-tipped Leather Scabbard
- Modified Cape (Delyn chains attached on underside)
- Delyn-Steel Rapier

Edward also receives 120 EXP for extreme patience! :D

See you again at the Bazaar!))