PDA

View Full Version : Bayou Wolf Blues

MadameBlackwater
02-02-08, 08:38 PM
(solo)

Burning silver poured from her lips as her crimson orbs watched the trees pass by. Fiorair was one of the last places humans were ever meant to live, but to a woman that sought things no human sought, there was no better place. The mosquitoes that usually plagued most were kept aback by the strong smell of her cigar.

A yawn escaped her as she stretched a little, a rather lengthy local that spoke only enough common to get a hint of what she asked continued to use a pole to push the raft deeper into the darkness. The area to which she had designated on an old piece of parchment as their destination was on a small island on the edge of what her guide called in his native tongue the “deep darkness” which as another had explained, was where the trees grew so thick that nary a bit of light bled through.

As she thought about it all, she let slip from her mouth a statement.

“Figures she would live somewhere like that...”

“Ci qui?” her guide spoke in question.

“Nothing...” she replied, having figured from hearing it a few times that it meant something along the lines of “what” in common.

With a shrug and a nod he continued with his duties. The sky was beginning to burn as what she could only figure as the sun was beginning to set.

“I thought you said we would be there before sundown” there was a bit of anger in her words as she looked at him.

“Désolés, we..uh...will...be there soon” he stumbled heavily as he tried to reply in common.

With a shake of her head and a muttered obscenity she turned back around to watch where they were going.

She took another long pull as she began mulling her memories. She had only been under Madame Ravenscroft's wing for two years when the old crone and her entourage had arrived at the meager Radsanth apartment. She was known as Momma Desiree, her rotting teeth and dried corpse hands were only a handful of things that Sera remembered about the woman she now traveled to see.

A shiver ran down her spine as she thought about how the old witchdoctor had looked at her, with a dark, rotting grin and her piss yellow eyes that made even her darkened soul shudder under their gaze. How her breath could drain the color from you and peal the paint off the neighbor's house. Those long bony fingers that ended in cracked and filthy nails, the way her skin hung from her like a loose dress on a skeleton, and the way that every time she moved, some joint would pop as if it had gone into rigor.

Not that it couldn't be suspected that the crone was actually experiencing the issues of death, having heard more than enough rumors to say that she was well over a century old.

With a flick of her fingers, the smoldering remainder of her cigar joined the black surface of the water, hissing for only a second in the growing quiet.

There was of course no one else she could really seek out that had as much experience as Momma Desiree. None of the other Madames or Sirs that she had heard of had even a page to submit against Momma Desiree's book of sheer knowledge.

The raft slide silently across the black water as they slipped into denser trees. The sound of swamp crickets singing in the darkness accented the dancing of the many lightning bugs that began to awaken from their daily hiding places.

MadameBlackwater
02-03-08, 01:16 AM
the pain within his head made his worse hangover seem like a pleasant dream. His body burned like fire as sweat dripped from his dirty brow. His mournful whimpers of pain echoed off the brick walls around him.

He clenched his eyes tight as he looked up through the steel bars that blocked his escape into the light, only to see night falling. A stream of tears began to flow from his eyes as he tugged once more against the shackles that bound him, whimpering from the shot of pain in his tender and chaffed wrists and ankles.

“ah shush love, you'll scare the neighbors.” came a calm, vicious yet beautiful voice followed by a laugh.

He whimpered and moved as deep into the shadows of his cell as his bindings would let him.

~~~

She had just lit a fresh cigar when another light caught her eye. It seemed to drift between the trees ahead as the raft continued to make its way between the trees.

Mademoiselle, see, ...dock is there” her guides broken common sounded through the night, almost startling her.

As they neared she could see that the light was actually an old glass lantern hung from a pole on the edge of a pier. Its green and red glow burned through the darkness like a huge firefly.

Within moments she set her feet upon the ancient dock, the boards creaked under her weight and the lamp swayed. She turned back to see if her guide was coming along only to see that he was already a good twenty feet from the dock and not looking back. Sera Rolled her shoulders to get a kink out that had formed from sitting for so long as she looked down what she could only figure as a path.

Letting her eyes adjust to the rising moon light she took a look to the horizon, seeing that the moon would be full in only a few days. Her eyes could just make out the path as she followed it through the trees. The cherry of her cigar and the moon soon became the only light she could see for what seemed like forever.

After walking for what began to feel like eternity she began to ponder if she was walking in circles. Just as she was about to turn back she heard the soft sound of music, rounding a large tree she could finally see lights of a house that was actually surprisingly close. As Sera continued she could see that she was entering the clearing in which the Hose sat, which in truth was a huge two story tall mansion. The large wrap around porch was lined with lanterns at every support. She could hear the music growing louder as she continued to approach the house.

“been a long time since I last had company child” A voice spoke, its melodious call enticing her to step closer”but then again, it was only a matter of time before you would come this way...”

Sera was speechless as she finally saw the owner of the voice sitting in a nearly ancient looking rocking chair. The woman before her was young, not possibly a day older than Madame Blackwater herself. She wore a long flowing red dress and her auburn hair flowed softly in gentle waves. Her emerald eyes sparkled in the lantern light, even though a darkness filled them like blood in the moonlight.

“I'm looking for Momma Desiree...” Sera said softly as she approached into the light.

“And so you have found her” the woman replied.

“May I speak to her?”

“why child, you are already speaking to me”

Sera lifted a brow as she looked at the woman, taking in the almost unnatural beauty she encompassed “but...last time I saw....”

“yes...” she hissed softly” that was quite a while ago, when I was in death's grip.”

there was a long pause of silence as Sera tried to reconcile just how a woman could become young again.

“Ah yes....” she hissed again “I remember you child...you were Ravenscroft's little girl... My you have grown,though your name escapes me...”

“Sera Blackwater ma'am...” she replied as if it were being pulled from her very tongue.

“A pleasure to meet you...” she said with an amused look in her eyes as she stood “why don't we move on inside, you look famished child...”

MadameBlackwater
02-07-08, 12:05 AM
He thought he could hear voices, but the hammering in his head was too loud. His skin began to burn more and more as the moon rose higher and higher into the sky. He let out a pained whimper as the first pop of his joints began.

Please gods...let me die...

~~~

Her hat and coat hung on a hanger next to the front door, her back pack had been taken away to some yet unseen room of the house. There was still an air of wonder about the woman who now sat across the table from her. Those cold, piercing emerald eyes seemed to have never unlocked their gaze from hers.

Momma Desiree finally broke the seemingly endless silence with a round of claps that summoned a servant from a door that must have gone to the kitchen. He entered silently and with a small limp that had an unnatural feel to it.

He didn't say a word and while it was rather dim in the house, he wore the darkest sunglasses Sera believed she had ever seen. Desiree spoke softly, almost inaudible from across the table. The servant made his way back into the kitchen without a word or even seeming to acknowledge the orders.

“I had heard that dear Ravenscroft had passed to the other side a while back” Desiree said just loud enough to be heard.

“Yes...she passed away about four years ago...” Sera replied as she straitened her shirt.

“ah...that is a shame, she was a talented lass...”

Sera looked down at the table “She taught me everything I know...”

There was only a pause as Desiree watched for a moment before leaning forward, using her elbows to prop herself up with her hands “apparently that is not enough for you is it?”

“No...” Sera said as she looked up” after they ran me out of Corone, searching for what more I can become seems to be the most logical choice.”

She laughed softly in reply, “Well then, you know our ways...” she said with a hiss of slyness.

Sera nodded softly in acceptance of what she knew.