03-26-06, 09:51 PM
I had 908 EXP and 310 gp.

Name: Katrena Evangeline

Race: Elf

Sex: Female

Height: 5’7”

Weight: 123 lbs.

History:
Herman and Brigitte Parsons were a rather quaint couple. He was a humble farmer, balding far quicker than he should have been at the age of 30. She was a plumb housewife with a smile always on her face. They had no children of their own, yet a young one now shared their table.

A year back, in the blustery start of autumn, Herman had found the girl of 12 wandering his fields. She was indeed a sight. Her hair was wild. Her eyes were piercing. Her ears were pointed like pickaxes. Herman had approached her kindly, offering some of his lunch as he asked why she here. The girl just stepped out of the tall grain with an almost blank expression on her face. Her clothes matched the exoticness of her features. Baggy blue pants, a shirt apparently patched together from rags, and a blanket wrapped about her shoulders like a cloak. Up close, the dirt of travel could be seen on her. Without saying a word, she took a piece of bread from Herman’s outstretched hand and sat cross-legged on the ground to eat it. Herman sat too. Assuming that his first question would go unanswered, he asked her name. The mumbled response through a mouthful of bread was “Katrena Evangeline”.

That was all the information they could have gotten out of her. They assumed she was homeless, for her clothes hadn’t been washed in what seemed weeks. She didn’t say anything to dispute it. In fact, when Brigitte first saw her and scooped her up motherly, Katrena had hugged her back just as hard. They had been without child for so long. This must have been God’s gift to them.

A year since that day, she still didn’t talk much. But, she reveled in helping with the farmwork and the housework just as much as Herman and Brigitte did in the joy of having a daughter. She was everything they could have asked for. Polite, kind, loving. When she would wake from nightmares, as she did often, she would crawl into their bed for the rest of the night. Neither foster parent gave a second thought that she was rather childish for a 13 year old. They loved her just the way she was.

After one particularly restless night, they found a note she had left. It contained more words than she had spoken to them in all their time together.

“Dear Mama and Papa,

I have to leave you. You’ve been so kind to me that I can’t think about it without crying. But, I have no choice. I don’t want you to think that you did anything wrong. So, I’ll tell you the truth.

I don’t know who my real parents are. Until meeting you, I was alone in this world. But, I always had my guardians. They aren’t in a place where you can see them. Only I can see them, when I dream. They were the ones to name me, and they always watched over me. When I would sleep in an alley, they would appear to me. They would offer me food. And, when I woke up, the food would be there in my hands. When I was in danger, they would find my dreams and show me what to do. They never lie…

Now, they want me to go. I must find my path in the world. Something out there is calling me. I can feel it through them.

So, goodbye. Thank you both for everything. You’ll always be my parents.
~Katrena Evangeline, Last Maiden of the Elfish Saints”

Herman and Brigitte cried themselves to sleep that night. They never awoke.

And Katrena faded from the notice of the world for many years.

Appearance:
She was dreaming. In a grassy field under a speckled night sky, they were there. Warriors, mages, angels, priests. There were no names for them. The dreams were always silent.

They all stood in a circle around Katrena. She had grown quite a bit since leaving her foster parents. No longer a girl, she was a very fetching woman. Hair was still wild, eyes were still piercing, ears were still pointed like pickaxes. But, she now had a lithe, beautiful body. She looked almost delicate, yet there was a light in her eyes that spoke of a stronger force within.

Her clothes were those she wore in her wakefulness. Black boots, baggy blue pants, white shirt with black and red striped sleeves, cloak of midnight. This was all she had been allowed to wear in her travels. The guardians had picked it out right down to the chain necklace around her neck. Katrena didn’t mind having to wear it, though. She didn’t even mind having to stop to wash them often for lack of something to change into. What the guardians gave her was too wonderful for her to be worried about attire.

Equipment:
The guardian in front of her; an ox of a man, his body covered in armor, his face shadowed by a horned helm; raised a single gauntleted hand. Reacting to the signal, Katrena reached for the sword sheathed at her belt. It too was just as in wakefulness. Bought from a merchant many years back, it still kept its sharpness. Slowly, she drew it. The steel blade was long and slightly curved, and it gleamed in the starlight of this realm.

Abilities:
(One with the blade)
She raised the sword to an offensive position, holding it horizontal next to her cheek with two hands. As always, it felt extremely light. Whenever she touched a weapon, it was always light to her. People were often surprised when she would pick up their bastard swords and battle axes with one hand. She could have had a massive sword, but her guardians wanted her to use this one.

(Fury of heroes)
The ox warrior flicked his hand to the side with his fingers rigid. Katrena knew that signal too. She narrowed her eyes and focused on the blade. It began to glow a dull white, just enough so that when it moved it left a faint afterimage. And did it ever move. In one second, Katrena had slashed the air before her half a dozen times. Arms were a blur, teeth were bared in exertion, and lines of the power were left floating in the air. As the light faded, she let her arms go limp. They felt dead. It was a strain to just keep holding the sword.

Personality:
Her guardians applauded silently. In Katrena’s mind, she could almost imagine the explosion of hands and gauntlets colliding. It brought a rare smile to her face. Never in wakefulness did she feel as important as she did now. Their confidence and pride radiated through her. A purer expression of love than any other creature could show. If people in wakefulness called her cold, distant, or rude, it was simply because she had seen what life could be, and she was sorely disappointed with what she would wake up to.

Inevitably, the dream ended. Katrena returned to her body as her thoughts echoed about her mind.

They smiled for me alone, and I knew my life had meaning.

Dissinger
03-29-06, 03:01 AM
Approved.