PDA

View Full Version : Orcs, Ogres, Goblins, and other not-elf/fey thingawhatses

Caden Law
02-23-08, 04:19 PM
To cut straight to the point: What's the site canon regarding the classic goblinoid races? And what of the ogres as well? I know Green is the New Black and I have mentioned Orc tribes here and there in our character bios, and there have been a token few Orc characters besides, but what of actual canon groups? Do they have any civilizations in the known parts of the world, or is it All Tribes All The Time?

And is there any set way for how they compare to humans (intellectually, magically, physically, so on and so forth), or is that as up in the air as everything else?

The Writing Writer
02-23-08, 07:13 PM
Not sure, but oh how I would love to create a new area of althanas that is home to such creatures. ohhhh....

Karuka
02-23-08, 07:24 PM
Go and do it!

Also, we have some goblins in Scara Brae. That's about all I know about the official goblinoid races.

Doomsday
02-23-08, 07:44 PM
can't forget the orcs in the red forest, they have to be some of the toughest around to live there.

Sighter Tnailog
02-23-08, 10:46 PM
Orcs in the Red Forest? If there are, this is the first I've heard of it...they are certainly not canonized.

EDIT: To elaborate, they are not a race that has been blessed by any sort of canonization, and I know that if they are eventually blessed as such the traditional "Orcs were elves once" will not form a part of the picture as long as I'm around. BUT, if you want to do that in your own writing, feel free. Canon is not considered a restriction on creativity, merely a set of established basic guidelines that can help people get their bearings.

Ashiakin
02-23-08, 10:50 PM
There is no official Althanas policy or canon on goblin/orc/whatever races. As there are no plans to add a new Althanas region for quite some time, there are no plans to add a region that would act as an official home to these races.

However, you're on Althanas to have fun. If you want to come up with an orc/gobin race or region that doesn't conflict with existing canon and use it unofficially, you are more than welcome to do so. The canon info is there to help you, not to hinder you. Make up whatever is going to be most useful to your particular storyline, and as long as it doesn't override canon, feel free to use it.

Saxon
02-23-08, 10:55 PM
I like how nobody in this thread save Caden mentioned ogres in their posts (and only in the title for God's sake!). Talk about your unloved race, haha. Anyway, make sure you add your own flavor to the races your writing with and not try to write off the page with Tolkein's thoughts or some other writer, and I'm sure if you do that you'll feel much better about what your trying to create as opposed to emulating somebody else.

Caden Law
02-23-08, 11:57 PM
I like how nobody in this thread save Caden mentioned ogres in their posts (and only in the title for God's sake!). Talk about your unloved race, haha. Anyway, make sure you add your own flavor to the races your writing with and not try to write off the page with Tolkein's thoughts or some other writer, and I'm sure if you do that you'll feel much better about what your trying to create as opposed to emulating somebody else.
I mentioned them in the post D: Reread it. They just weren't the focus.

Saxon
02-24-08, 12:00 AM
Touche'.