PDA

View Full Version : Problem

Poison
02-27-08, 12:19 AM
I have 6,500 EXP, but yet I'm still level one, can someone please fix this? I had hoped that when the EXP for the last thing I did with Poison got judged and the experience added that this would be fixed.

Call me J
02-27-08, 12:20 AM
Go ahead and make a level 2 update if you want. I'll make sure its treated as a level 2. Also, I'll make sure someone sees this.

Sighter Tnailog
02-27-08, 12:23 AM
Fixed! Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Call me J
02-27-08, 12:34 AM
You mean do a remake of the thread, just improving on it?

While this is just my opinion, I think that we should allow you to keep all your EXP from your first thread, as long as its clear that you didn't just copy paste what you did before.

Sighter Tnailog
02-27-08, 12:36 AM
Yeah. As long as you don't just copy-paste a new thread, but do a legitimate re-write, I don't see any reason to take away the stuff you already earned. If you really, really, really want to give it all back I won't stop you, but I think that's a bit extreme. But I'm not going to stop anyone from rewriting something they want to rewrite provided they give it some real oomph.

Witchblade
02-27-08, 12:37 AM
I am so sorry about the experience! I didn't realize you were level 2. >.<

Poison
02-27-08, 12:38 AM
Why? I'm not necessarily going to bother with it again for a long time. Why should I have EXP and/or spoils that, if I pretend the thread never happened, I never got? I'd rather lose my latest 1,000 EXP and pretend I never bothered with the thread, than have the score I do.

BTW, that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the work the mod did. I'm just highly dissatisfied with myself, and would rather not have it there at all.

EDIT: A simple re-write, to me, is absurd, because then, I've done the same idea, the same mission, in this case, twice, and gotten EXP/spoils from the same thing, twice. How would that be fair to everyone else?

Call me J
02-27-08, 12:48 AM
Why? I'm not necessarily going to bother with it again for a long time. Why should I have EXP and/or spoils that, if I pretend the thread never happened, I never got? I'd rather lose my latest 1,000 EXP and pretend I never bothered with the thread, than have the score I do.

BTW, that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the work the mod did. I'm just highly dissatisfied with myself, and would rather not have it there at all.

Well you still put in some work for your thread, even if it didn't get the score you wanted, and you should have those rewards in my opinion, because it was IC activity, even if you want to redo it. I have a lot of events in my character's history that I've glazed over with time, such as when my character joined a PG that shortly became defunct.

EDIT: A simple re-write, to me, is absurd, because then, I've done the same idea, the same mission, in this case, twice, and gotten EXP/spoils from the same thing, twice. How would that be fair to everyone else?

It wouldn't be fair. Hence we're saying that simple rewrites shouldn't be eligible for second time rewards. However, reworking things is a sign of progress, and it can take more time to rework something and make it good than it can to do something right in the first place. Plus, Althanas' role as a site to help players become better writers is fulfilled by a rewrite.

Poison
02-27-08, 01:02 AM
I'm not here to become a better writer. If I wanted to be a better writer, I would take classes or something. I only turn things in to be judged because it's the ONLY way to advance my character. If I didn't have to turn things in to get EXP, I would probably never turn anything in at all.

I just see no point whatsoever in keeping rewards for something that, if I could, I would simply delete the whole thing. I really don't.

It doesn't really make that big a difference though. I was just curious. I'm just not going to include it or the spoils in my level update.

Jack Lancer
02-27-08, 02:20 AM
I'm not here to become a better writer. If I wanted to be a better writer, I would take classes or something. I only turn things in to be judged because it's the ONLY way to advance my character. If I didn't have to turn things in to get EXP, I would probably never turn anything in at all.

I just see no point whatsoever in keeping rewards for something that, if I could, I would simply delete the whole thing. I really don't.

It doesn't really make that big a difference though. I was just curious. I'm just not going to include it or the spoils in my level update.

Yet becoming a better writer here will gain you more exp leading to more character growth. I'm a a bit confused though. you say you want character growth, but you want to cancel your earnings for the quest? Hows that work? Just curious.

Still I see your point. You, like me, are here to have fun.

Poison
02-27-08, 02:30 AM
Because to me, the earnings and damages (i have to understand how a steel weapon dents a titanium weapon) were not worth score.

and now i'm wishing i'd never mentioned anything at all about it, too.

Cyrus the virus
02-27-08, 06:51 AM
If you have a problem with the judging, you should take it up with an administrator and see if they agree with the issues. I would imagine that if the damage to the sword was not warranted, that could be reversed. Right now it feels like you're being a bit passive-aggressive, when maybe the problem could be dealt with.

We've all gotten low scores. I got a 20 or so, once. It's not such a big deal. I've also gotten experience for the same thread three times, though I rewrote it each time.

EDIT: Reading a portion of your thread, I see you were parrying a sword using Poison's sai. It's not unreasonable to think that the sai could be damaged, regardless of the material. Besides, repairing that won't cost very much of your gold. Not such a big deal!

Caden Law
02-27-08, 01:59 PM
Because to me, the earnings and damages (i have to understand how a steel weapon dents a titanium weapon) were not worth score.

and now i'm wishing i'd never mentioned anything at all about it, too.
Apply the It Was All A Dream! (un)ending. Repair the damages et al, then at the end of the thread have your character wake up, all the damages missing, and so on and so forth. Apply a layer of denial/I must've been sleepwalking! when dealing with anyone your character interacted with.

If nothing else, it makes for a good joke :D

Poison
02-28-08, 02:39 AM
I"ve probably gone through half a dozen versions of this post...

I give up. Forget I said anything and someone please close this. I wish I'd never said anything at all to begin with and just done like I've said I was gonna do: don't acknowledge it in her history.

EDIT: And on the note of re-writes, I put entirely TOO much work into this to have the inspiration to re-write it. The only thing I would consider doing is asking that the judging be removed and me edit what I've already written as I see fit.

Jack Lancer
02-28-08, 04:27 PM
I"ve probably gone through half a dozen versions of this post...

I give up. Forget I said anything and someone please close this. I wish I'd never said anything at all to begin with and just done like I've said I was gonna do: don't acknowledge it in her history.

EDIT: And on the note of re-writes, I put entirely TOO much work into this to have the inspiration to re-write it. The only thing I would consider doing is asking that the judging be removed and me edit what I've already written as I see fit.

Let me start by saying I'm not going to try to talk you out of your decision.

I think I get what you are saying now, and if I'm correct, you are doing the same thing I'd do.

You hate how bad the thread was and you don't want any mention of it in your character history or anywhere else. You would prefer if nobody ever discovered it, and you are willing to sacrifice all the items you earned from that quest in so that you don't have to mention the quest in your update and you can move on without the quest ever happening.

That about sum it up? Because if it does, I know I have done similar things. I understand where you are coming from, I think, and think I'd be taking the same route you are taking with it.

I also understand why all us questioning you must have been so stressful.

In any case, I'm sorry I questioned you at first, and I'm sorry I misunderstood what you were talking about.

I have a character that I hated using so much that I'm trying to pretend he doesn't exist. I want to rewrite his registration, but I don't feel even that will help, especially after people tried to tell me other things I could do, misunderstanding the situation entirely.

So, I have at least a tiny idea how you feel.

If I'm wrong. Sorry about misunderstanding you again.

Poison
03-01-08, 04:02 AM
You hate how bad the thread was and you don't want any mention of it in your character history or anywhere else. You would prefer if nobody ever discovered it, and you are willing to sacrifice all the items you earned from that quest in so that you don't have to mention the quest in your update and you can move on without the quest ever happening.

Thank you!! Yes, you are exactly right!