PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions

Seralcard
03-13-08, 06:36 PM
Honestly after finding this site online and reading through what you guys are doing and have to offer I’ve been absolutely blown away. The depth here, the level of interaction, it’s on par with the dreams of the most ambitious site I’ve been a part of, and I’ve been through five. After finishing an 88 page post in one of my favorite RPs, a fitting end to more than 8 or 900 pages I’ve personally written in that story, I’ve been hungering for something to fill the void left by that epic. I think I may have found the right place.

heh heh, I was so excited when I posted my character that I know I’ve made a few grammatical errors there, perhaps even missed a few words. I’ll have to go back through and edit it soon I think, before someone sees something that doesn’t well represent the level of work I usually put into my stories. I really can’t wait to be approved (or sent back to the drawing board I don’t care XD) I’ve been bouncing on my heels and checking back with the site every few minutes. I should really lay off the sugar :rolleyes:

Lavinian Ambition
03-13-08, 06:42 PM
Welcome to Althanas man. Its like crack, thoroughly addicting, I'll tell you that much...

Tsukiko
03-13-08, 06:44 PM
hihi and welcome. I'm glad you really like what you see. i hope you have lots of fun.

I felt that way when I first joined several years ago^^

hope you have lots of fun.

Hashi
03-13-08, 06:45 PM
Most of us even have several characters to get into even more trouble. Welcome to the crazy house!

Seralcard
03-13-08, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm thinking of going through the Region threads to figure out what my first post should be and where I should go with it. I already have a few ideas for what I'd like, but is there any place you guys might suggest I hit first?

A Nony Mouse
03-13-08, 06:53 PM
Scara Brae is for low-level characters like you and I. I'm currently RPing in there and in Corone. You might want to check out both.

Hashi
03-13-08, 06:53 PM
Well Scara Brae (http://www.althanas.com/world/forumdisplay.php?f=9) is designed for new players to cut their teeth on. It's not a "newb" area by any means, it's just designed to be a place for level 1-2s to quest together without being dwarfed by the 5, 8 and and even level 11s running around. Corone (http://www.althanas.com/world/forumdisplay.php?f=20) is ever popular because it's a well developed forest area with lots of activity. Beyond that it's up to your favorite flavor of fantasy. We've got the home of the noble elves in Raiaera. Alerar is more steam level tech with dark elves. Salvar is undergoing some changes with the Features Quests but is the more typical fiefdom area. Fallien is a desert island full of xenophobes. You get the idea...

And, the truely unique thing about Althanas (imo) is the wonderful Other Regions (http://www.althanas.com/world/forumdisplay.php?f=24) were, if you don't like any of our little marked off sandboxes, you can make anything your mind can imagine. Some quests there take place on other planets, on long lost continents that no one else on Althanas knew about before they were created by a player, or even in this character's case, a modern day city connected to Althanas by magic.

Seralcard
03-13-08, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys. The Other Regions can explain where my character comes from, so that's a nice big plus, and Scara Brae sounds pretty nice so far.

I need to look through the SB threads for a bit, my character should likely start off "somewhere" in the vicinity of organized crime, otherwise I would wind up betraying his personality in whatever interactions he has.

A Nony Mouse
03-13-08, 07:26 PM
Also, check out the powergroups and see if any of those strike your fancy.

Logan
03-13-08, 07:29 PM
Power Groups are great, but I actually recommend you get a feel for how you will play your character first. That way you don't get into a Power Group and suddenly want to jump ship for whatever reason. Those groups work WAY better when you have IC(in character) reason to do so, versus just OOC(out of character) reasons.

Oh, and welcome. If you need help, there's obviously plenty of n00b friendly people around here. Feel free to IM me if you want someone who's been around forever to answer questions. (Ignore my lvl...I left for awhile :-p)

Seralcard
03-13-08, 07:45 PM
heh heh, thanks for the advice.

Honestly I don't think joining any of the Power Groups would be in character for this guy, unless one of them is into actually hiring mercenaries and such, lol.

I'll figure it out, Seralcard takes aspects of two of my favorite previous RP characters but adds his own spin and a whole new look to the mix. I know how to play him easy, having him believably play nice with others will be the hard part.

A Nony Mouse
03-13-08, 07:54 PM
Hahaha, I look forward to reading adventures of his.

Hashi
03-13-08, 07:54 PM
*Shameless plug*

The Company (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=10266) is actually defined as a group of mercs out to make a profit, and they are looking for muscle. Give 'em a look.

Bloodrose
03-13-08, 08:19 PM
Damn! I don't even have to do my own shameless advertising around here!

Sweet...

On another note, welcome to Althanas. It's always nice to see someone new so eager to jump right in...

Karuka
03-13-08, 08:32 PM
Welcome to Althanas, the place for your epic and mundane adventures alike!

Go easy on the 88 page posts, though. We average a page, page and a half.

Lavinian Ambition
03-13-08, 08:35 PM
Welcome to Althanas, the place for your epic and mundane adventures alike!

Go easy on the 88 page posts, though. We average a page, page and a half.

Darling, I think he means 88 pages of posts. Not one post of 88 pages.

EDIT: Oh dear me, he doesn't....

Wow...and I thought more than a few people on the site were verbose.

Karuka
03-13-08, 08:41 PM
After finishing an 88 page post in one of my favorite RPs, a fitting end to more than 8 or 900 pages I’ve personally written in that story,

Darling, I think he means 88 pages of posts. Not one post of 88 pages.

That's not what he said.

Lodekai
03-13-08, 08:42 PM
lolz.. I would imagine it's not too far off from people like Letho. It's just there here, that would have been 6 threads worth of solos. We break our writing up here in to smaller chunks than I've seen on most role-playing sites.

<--Hashi, too lazy to switch

Cyrus the virus
03-13-08, 08:51 PM
Break those 900 post quests up into parts, please.

And hi!! You missed the intro forum, doofus :p

Logan
03-13-08, 08:59 PM
Ignore Cyrus. He's not usually an ass -- no wait...he is usually an ass. But we all love him. He's actually a really great guy, and an excellent rp-er. I give him lots of credit for taking his char, Luc, to such great heights. He's damn good I tell you, damn good.

And honestly, he's a pretty frickin cool mod. He just gets annoyed with certain aspects of the job. But it happens to the best of em.

Cyrus the virus
03-13-08, 09:01 PM
You are a strange sir, sir. There was a very obvious :p smiley in there!

Vampiric Angel
03-13-08, 09:12 PM
Which means, "I choose to mock you further!!, poopnose."

BlackAndBlueEyes
03-13-08, 09:32 PM
Grittings and welcome to Althanas.

Seralcard
03-13-08, 10:30 PM
Heh heh thanks guys. I had to leave for a few hours, so I missed Cyrus's critique of my character thus slowing myself down since he retired before I got my edit up. Damn you real life, damn you!

*ahem*

First: I think I'll look into that PG

Second: Thanks for all the welcomes guys, I'm loving this place already

Third: The web story in question was so deep I could have adapted it to a novel, and still may. The point there is that it was a very large number of quests all fitting within the grand overaching story, which ended in a single post that would probably be considered an entire quest by itself (I even broke it into chapters accordingly... and broke the board's character limit three times).

I digress. I'm going to read around a bit now that I'm back on and hope a mod comes in. Otherwise, I'll have to start tomorrow, oh noes.

Lodekai
03-13-08, 10:32 PM
Just a note, if you are interested in doing a solo (a quest at least 10 posts long that you do on your own with just your character and NPCs) then feel free to go ahead and be typing that up in Word or something, then just copypasta when you get approved.

Seralcard
03-13-08, 10:36 PM
That is a spectacular idea and I shame myself for not having thought of it already, lol. Thanks man.

Cyrus the virus
03-14-08, 01:58 AM
since he retired before I got my edit up.

KOTOR 2 grabbed my throat quite firmly :( I check character nao!

Seralcard
03-14-08, 02:15 AM
heh heh, I understand, I loved that game :D

Thanks!

Vampiric Angel
03-14-08, 01:49 PM
KOTOR 2 grabbed my throat quite firmly :( I check character nao!

KOTOR 2?! Dang man, that's old skool. In my opinion, the first was better. The second should've had a better ending....like joining up with Revan in the Outer Reaches of space to fight gods know what. They game hinted at that the entire time anyways, so why not follow through?

Oh....and....Welcome? >.> <.<

Seralcard
03-14-08, 02:37 PM
Thanks lol.

I agree with the ending bit, they rushed the game and as a result there was dialogue and a few scenes that were actually on the disc itself which were never implemented. That and the broken quests, that upset me a bit. It's a quality game otherwise though.

And now I return to the events of an aphotic Scara Brae.

Letho
03-14-08, 06:18 PM
KOTOR 2?! Dang man, that's old skool. In my opinion, the first was better. The second should've had a better ending....like joining up with Revan in the Outer Reaches of space to fight gods know what. They game hinted at that the entire time anyways, so why not follow through?They need to leave something for the third one, don't they?

Welcome to Althanas, new person.

Seralcard
03-14-08, 06:25 PM
Thank you kindly.

P.S. Writing this solo is awesome fun.

AdventWings
03-15-08, 12:15 AM
O~tts.

*Waves at you*

Hi, I'm the Azn Mod of this place. Every forum needs one, ne? ;)

And don't forget to drop by at the Bazaar when you have money to burn, Nyan! The Bazaar is spread throughout the known worlds of Althanas with different perks in each one!

And for any questions you may have, hit us mods up on the IM/PM and we'll help you with whatever that needs helpin'.

Welcome to Althanas! (As of it hasn't been said enough already! :p)

Seralcard
03-15-08, 12:59 AM
heh heh thanks. So you guys do the whole IM thing here? In most of the other forums I've been too that was just for show, mods generally did not like to be bothered outside of the board.

:D come to think of it most mods didn't like to be bothered inside the board either. How did I ever RP in those conditions?

Cyrus the virus
03-15-08, 01:00 AM
Every moderator and admin is available to talk to, pretty much. I might call you a slut if you message me, but that's about it. Being bothered outside of the forum comes with the job description here.

You bastards!!

Seralcard
03-15-08, 01:06 AM
lol, good to know :)

Cyrus the virus
03-15-08, 01:11 AM
I don't see you messaging me on AIM yet.

Karuka
03-15-08, 07:49 AM
You can IM just about anyone on the board. It's really a community. I have more Althanians on my buddy list than I do any other group.

And really, being bothered outside the boards does come with mod terror-tory. SOMEONE has to be able to tell the newbies how to go about their daily lives. ;)

Sighter Tnailog
03-16-08, 09:49 PM
Being bothered outside of the forum comes with the job description here.

Tell me about it!

Hey there, newbie! I'm Sighter, and I'm one of the administrators who keeps this place from falling apart. Or at least, that's what I tell myself when I need to feel wanted, but most of the time I show up and everyone else is handling things quite decently on their own.

It's a good life, really. I get a modicum of respect from the peons and only have to open threads here and there when Cyrus gets too whiny.

Serilliant
03-16-08, 11:03 PM
I love to be bothered! Though as Sighter's antithesis, I'm usually the administrator who contributes to things falling apart. Seriously. If something breaks, I probably broke it. Thus, if you ever see something broken, bother me about it!

In any case, thank you for your kind words. We all, staff and member alike, work very hard to make this community the best available. We're glad to have you on board.

Ha. Get it? On board? 'cuz it's a... yeah, you get it.

Seralcard
03-16-08, 11:56 PM
Thanks guys. I'm throwing the finishing touches on my first solo, and I'm very proud of what I've done thus far.

Perhaps before I go to sleep or early after class tomorrow I'll post the fully revised sections along with the end and then submit it for judging.

This place is really great and I hope to become a valuable member and an asset to the deep story here.

Heh, I may start throwing around IMs to see who's around. If anyone ever wants to contact me just remember that I'm invisible. So if it says I'm offline it's only because I am a -liar-.

AdventWings
03-17-08, 02:57 AM
Oh, sure. That's what you think. ;)

*Points to his user title*

And good luck with your solo! We'll be waiting to see it in all its glory.

Camella
03-17-08, 09:10 AM
Heh, I may start throwing around IMs to see who's around. If anyone ever wants to contact me just remember that I'm invisible. So if it says I'm offline it's only because I am a -liar-.

Oh, sure. That's what you think. ;)

*Points to his user title*

And good luck with your solo! We'll be waiting to see it in all its glory.

I can usually tell when Adventwings is on, despite that invisible trick of his. And Seralcard, I think I can safely say the same about you.

I came here to say that, while it's not what you guys are talking about I DO have invisibility.

*Turns invisible and starts stalking Adventwings for fun.*

Sighter Tnailog
03-17-08, 04:37 PM
I know when you're on, too.

Inviso mode doesn't pull the wool over my eyes.

Seralcard
03-17-08, 06:35 PM
But I have no idea if you're on Sighter, I've tried to IM you twice before when I've seen you on the board :D

In other news: My solo, she is complete. Just over 10k words and 10 posts worth of story, just under two hours of typo editing this afternoon. I'm terrible with those things.

Christoph
03-17-08, 07:36 PM
Good to see that you're jumping right in. Welcome to the only internet crack house more addictive than World of Warcraft. And remember that if anyone offers you any food... feel free to eat it. It's all perfectly safe.

Sighter Tnailog
03-17-08, 09:53 PM
Just so you know, I'm almost never on AIM when I'm also on the board, but when I am on my SighterGoliant AIM account, I'm never invisible.

Arsène
03-17-08, 10:03 PM
Just so you know, I'm almost never on AIM when I'm also on the board, but when I am on my SighterGoliant AIM account, I'm never invisible.

He's right you know. He's never invisible. It may seem strange to others, but it's on account of his dedication to the board.

Seralcard
03-17-08, 10:41 PM
Woo, crack!

...I wasn't supposed to cheer for that was I?

Logan
03-17-08, 10:55 PM
What everyone is trying to say is...

Welcome to your new life. Please leave your old worn out one at the door. We don't need life actually messing up our own little reality we've created!