PDA

View Full Version : The Tunnel of Twelve Trials

Lodekai
03-16-08, 05:07 PM
((Follows Care and feeding (http://althanas.com/world/showthread.php?p=105344) and the weapons mentioned were purchased here (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=12550) which, for the purpose of this story, was an Bazaar outlet somewhere in Raiaera. The reason this isn't in the FQ forum is that this has nothing to do with the FQ beyond that she's training for Xemmy's army. Since it has no direct bearing it goes here. Also so if I don't finish this quest line before the FQ starts again I can still abuse liquid time here. ^^;;

Since I obsessively document everything, an added note. This thread is going to be very action and combat oriented. This is for an IC and OOC reason. IC being that there is a short amount of time before Xem's next big push and they need to get her trained as fast as possible. OOC being that as I pointed out here (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=13340) combat is my weakness so I'm trying to improve. Before I just avoided combat situations or kept them almost slapstick so I wouldn't have to worry about writing convincing and compelling fights. So here’s to trying to improve.

Solo))

---------------------------------------------------------
Ambience (http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/64409)
--------

It was late in the afternoon when the girl and her crow companion arrived in the ruins of the city that had once been Valinatal, now called Narenhad. By that time she was beginning to greatly regret the fact that she had not purchased sheathes to go with her weapons. She hadn’t said anything to Zaz’thatal for fear of being chided by the fellow familiar for her shortsightedness. In truth the crow had simply forgotten as well, lacking hands the bird had never handled weaponry. Without even a belt to hold the weapons, she was forced to carry both, which grew old very quickly. Finally she had hit upon the idea of carrying the kris stuffed in one of her knee-high boots, allowing her to switch the cutlass from hand to hand as each grew tired. Another adventurer might have a different line of thought while walking alone through the soot and debris littered streets of a ruined city. Lodekai, however, was still young and cheerfully oblivious to the true sadness and the depth of destruction that surrounded her. Having no knowledge of cities, and only having ever glimpsed one that was intact, it was no great tragedy to her to see this one in such a state.

Zaz’thatal was unusually silent. Much older than Lodekai, the crow had once been privileged to glimpse Valinatal in its full splendor. Many times the bird had flown over the great guardian city, gathering and transporting information for the master. In some ways, the bird should have felt proud of the destruction, after all it had been wrought by the master of its master, a true victory for ‘their’ side of the war. Yet it was still eerie. Perhaps some of that came from the crow’s carrion nature. For in all the massive ruins not a single corpse lay waiting to be scavenged. Not one body, no bit of flesh, no eyes to snatch nor giblets to feast upon. All the fallen had risen once more and marched away with the powerful necromancer, increasing his numbers. The city was completely empty, devoid of even ghosts.

Lodekai paused as she approached a fork in the road. Her boots kicked up a small cloud of dust and soot and as she glanced back she noticed that her tracks were obvious in the deserted city. She didn’t really think of any implications to them, other than that it looked lonely to see only one set of footprints in the city. Careful not to dislodge the crow riding on her shoulder, she pulled off the knapsack of meager supplies her master had sent with her. She held it in one hand as she dug through the contents. Finally she found the map of the city her master had given her. Slinging the bag back over her unoccupied shoulder she unrolled the thin parchment and stretched it out. The drawing was of a sturdy and vibrant city with defiant towers and strong walls. Tilting her head to look around the map at the city behind it she gave a quiet sight.

“I don’t think this is gonna help us much, Zazzy. ”

“Aye.” The bird croaked in agreement, great wings beating at the air as it rose from her shoulder. “Around to find our lost entrance, around this bird will fly.”

With nothing to do but wait for the bird to return with directions, Lodekai walked a short distance to a ruined wall and sat down heavily on a heap of rubble. Crossing one leg over the other she pulled off her right boot, not the one with the dagger in it, and began to rub her foot. The journey to reach this place had been long for the undead familiar, a longer distance than she had ever traveled in her life. Not used to such continuous strenuous activities she found herself exhausted. Her feet hurt, her stomach hurt, she was tired and grumpy. Most of all, though, she missed her master. Missed his soft salt and pepper goatee, the look in his eyes when he was trying to be serious and no laugh at the same time, his natty old robes that were always warm to the touch. His kind and gentle voice as he told her stories in the early morning hours before she went to sleep. She was supposed to be calling him daddy now to protect him from do-gooders that would try to kill him if they knew there was a necromancer still alive in the mountains. She didn’t know anything about real parents or what they were like, but if she ever really did have a dad, she would want him to be just like her master.

“Come follow” The voice of Zaz’thatal interrupted her musings. “Come and follow, this way.”

Pulling her boot back on, the little undead retrieved her cutlass and hurried after her soaring companion. Keeping her eyes on the sky she didn’t pay any attention to the devastation around her. No building was intact, all the wood had been charred down into grey and white cinders. The bricks were broken and scattered, a great many covered with wide splashes of blood. Soot and dust covered every inch, it never failed to settle back on every surface even after the rain washed it away. It was utterly silent in the city. Even the scavengers and opportunistic avoided the place.

Zaz’thatal led her through a series of twists and turns down the street. The crow avoided taking her through shortcuts across the ruined buildings, or even empty lots. There was no telling how stable any of the debris was, it was better to stay on the defined streets. They had been sent to look for a house, probably near the outskirts of the city, which harbored a secret of which the last owner was probably not aware. A hidden stairwell that led down to a forgotten tunnel. It ventured deep into the earth under Raiaera, leading away from the city and towards the Red Forest. Those who managed to pass the trials of the lengthy tunnel would be accepted as students by the legendary warrior who lived deep underground. In some ways the destruction of the city had made it easier for the pair to find the entrance, since the house that would have hidden it had been burned away in the blaze to reveal the stairs.

Lodekai did not hesitate when they reached the stairwell but rather descended immediately, taking them two at a time in her eagerness. She did not pause to consider what dangers might wait below, nor even to find a torch or free her kris from her boot. The staircase at first was made of wooden planks, which Lodekai did not consider odd. Zaz’thatal, however, was instantly suspicious and landed upon one, trying to dig a taloned toe into the wood. It could not harm the wood in any way. The steps were enchanted so that they could not be destroyed, even after the entire city had been burned to the ground. When they reached the first landing, there was a niche in the wall with a statue and a lamp. The undead ignored the both and followed the curve of the wall to continue pelting down the stairs, which were now made of beaten metal. The crow rose to hover in front of the alcove, studying the two objects. It was just as well Lodekai had ignored them. A thin filament extended outwards from the handle of the lamp, probably reaching back to a trap that would have damaged anyone trying to retrieve it. It was the small bust of a man’s shoulders and face that sent a chill through Zaz’thatal, however. The bird recognized that face and suddenly realized where they had been sent. How could the master have been so foolish? Surely Lodekai could not withstand the trials that this man would demand of her!

Zaz’thatal called after the little undead to wait but she was too far ahead. The crow soared down the stairs, which wound around themselves in a slow, ever descending circle. Several hundred steps down was a second landing. The bird had almost caught up but felt the need to pause and examine the table that waited patiently for any who made it that far down. A lantern sat out, with a can of oil, flint and steel to strike and light it. All three trapped. If the little undead was not possessed of the ability to see in the dark, the girl would already be wounded twice over. The bird gave a low sort of choking sound in the back of its throat. There was no statue here, but rather a simple coin almost completely hidden in a layer of dust and spider webs. The face on the coin was the same as that of the bust. There was no mistaking the owner of the tunnel.

Almost in a panic, Zaz’thatal soared down the narrow passageway over steps that were now carved out of a pale stone. This flight was the shortest yet and the bird almost collided with its young ward as it found Lodekai standing still at the base. Pulling up from the headlong dive, the crow familiar fluttered in place a moment before it landed on the undead’s shoulder to stare at what had stopped the girl in her tracks.

“Welcome, crow.”

The voice belonged to a tall man who wasn’t entirely there. He appeared like a flickering flame, sometimes there in full shape, sometimes a distorted shadow creature, sometimes a narrow wraith and others a squat, pale ghoul. In the few glimpses of his true shape, he was menacing enough. His chest and shoulders were broad and the green shirt he wore was stretched across it, molding to the muscle beneath. His waist was surprisingly thin and he wore a sash of blood red, into which a scroll was wedged. His legs were long but not as overly muscled as his chest. They were sinewy and spoke of quickness and speed. Over them he wore a pair of nondescript brown breeches and worn but comfortable looking boots. His left hand was bare, his fingers long and delicate while his right was covered in a heavy leather gauntlet, much like those falconers wear. His face was narrow, his skin pale and thin with the veins showing through as obvious blue lines. His hair was dull platinum fading into grey, pulled back into a stately ponytail at the nape of his neck with not a single strand out of place. His features looked to have been carved from granite by a master sculptor. His eyebrows were stately arches, his eyes narrowed orbs of uncompromising blue. His cheekbones were high and pronounced. His nose was aquiline, slender as it descended into a beak-like downward curve. His mouth was set into a pale firm line. The curve of his chin was sanguine, in opposition to his nose and curled faintly upwards like the bottom of a crescent moon. His ears were remarkable long, pressing close against his skull until they extended beyond it where they then curved faintly inwards and up to a sharp point, giving the impression of slowly curving horns. As the pair observed him, he moved not a muscle. Had not the apparition spoke, Zaz’thatal would have taken the image to be a lifeless door guardian.

“I am Zodd d’Amortus. Why have you ventured into my tunnel?”

“I, uh…” Lodekai begin and then glanced at the crow on her shoulder for support. Zaz’thatal was staring at the figure with rapt attention, leaving the little undead on her own. “Daddy sent me here to learn to fight.”

“Daddy?” The man intoned, his voice dripping with disgust. “Is this any way to speak of your elders?”

Lodekai blinked, not understanding his words. A light dig of talons into her shoulders prompted her to speak again. “Uh, my father sent me here to learn the ways of combat…?”

“Better.” He allowed but his eyes were still disapproving. “When you speak, speak with authority. If you are unsure of your words, do not speak them.”

Lodekai nodded but the disapproving look did not fade. “Er, yes, … um, what should I call you?”

“Master d’Amortus will do for now.” He clasped his hands behind his back and tilted his chin upwards a little, glaring down at her with sapphire orbs.

“Yes, Master d’Amortus.” Lodekai answered a bit too loudly and forcefully, a child trying to imitate her elder.

“You will learn.” D’Amortus said at last, walking forward. His form became stable and whole. This sudden change caught them both so off guard that neither could move a muscle when he reached out to grasp Zaz’thatal with his gloved hand. The great crow tried to beat its wings, to free itself from the iron grip of dexterous fingers but found the grip too tight. Before Lodekai could respond both had vanished into nothingness, leaving her alone in the darkened tunnel.

“Enter my tunnel, child." Spoke the disembodied voice of Master d'Amortus. “Should you pass the trials and reach my abode, I will teach you what you have come to learn. If you wish to see your friend again, you will not fail.”

Lodekai
03-17-08, 04:03 AM
--------
Ambience (http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/129101)
--------

“Zazzy!” Lodekai cried out after a moment of stunned surprise. Unsure what to do without her friend and guide, the little undead flopped down into a heap on the dirt floor of the landing. Her cutlass fell carelessly to the ground beside her while she hugged her knees to her chest. Her normal childish bravado wiped away by the unexpected loss, she couldn’t find the will or courage to go on.

“Your friend is unharmed, for the moment.” The cold and cultured voice made Lodekai flinch but she didn’t look up.

There was a long pause. “Child, why do you sit?”

“I want Zazzy back.” The undead answered plaintively.

“You cannot depend so on any single person.” d’Amortus replied, not unkindly. “You must learn first not to rely on anyone, so that you may know the path to true independence and selfless friendship.”

“I don’t care.” Lodekai sulked, rocking slowly back and forth. “I want Zazzy back.”

“Your friend awaits you at the end of the path.” The battlemaster answered firmly.

“So if I want Zazzy back I gotta go there myself, huh?” Lodekai answered glumly.

“Now you see.” d’Amortus answered. “Do not think me without heart. Word was given to me of your arrival. Your father did not send you to me out of ill will. There are things he would have you learn that I alone can teach you.”

Lodekai looked up at the mention of her master. The stately battlemaster had not returned in full form but appeared as a translucent specter, standing with his hands clasped behind his back and his eyes unblinking. “Father told you I was coming?”

“It is his will that you become strong enough to survive in this world.” d’Amortus answered without emotion. “Do not think unkindly of him, it is your survival he has in mind. Xem'zûnd will send for you soon and you must be hearty enough to serve the Darkest Lord.”

“Oh.” The undead heaved a huge, reluctant sigh. She shook her head a bit and stood up, looking around for her cutlass and grabbing it carelessly. “Okay, which way do I go?”

“I am no guide.” His voice was cold and hard. “I am breaking the rules of the trial by even reappearing to you now. I have respect for Calvin Belverouge, as a man of patience and courage. So I will not allow you to die needlessly but you must still pass the trials in your own right.”

“Hm.” Lodekai absently twirled the sword around in her hand as she looked down the foreboding length of earthen corridor. “Guess I go straight ahead for now…”

“Is that a toy you hold in your hands?” The dark tone of the battlemaster startled Lodekai and she took a half step back, looking wearily at the apparition.

“No…” She answered reluctantly.

“Then why do you treat it with such disrespect?” d’Amortus demanded.

“How do you disrespect a weapon?” Lodekai tilted her head to one side in confusion.

“The blade is sharp and the plynt is cold.” His blue eyes darkened. “Your sword can cut the owner as well as the enemy. If you let it float about your person without care, you will cut your own flesh. Beware lest your weapon gain a taste for your blood.”

“Okay… that’s creepy.” The undead answered, holding her sword out away from her as if it were a snake.

“Do not fear your weapons nor think them useless.” d’Amortus continued, obviously used to tirelessly lecturing young students. “Your sword must become to you an extension of your body. You must know it as well as you know your own fingers and the sinews of your arm.”

Lodekai held up her free hand and looked at her hand and let her eyes trail down her arm. “What’s a sinew, where are they in my arms? Is that kinda like the weird claws I got?”

d’Amortus brought a hand around to scrub his face. “Calvin did not jest about the ability of this one to try a master’s patience.”

“Yeah…” Lodekai admitted dejectedly. “I get on father’s nerves a lot…”

“Advance, child.” The battlemaster commanded, regaining his composure. “The journey is long but I will accompany you and teach you what you must know along the way.”

Unsure what to do with the sword that wouldn’t make the shadowy man angry and somewhat afraid the blade might just haul off and bite her, she held it out a little ways from her body as she walked slowly into the narrowed opening of the tunnel. “So… does this mean you’re gonna teach me after all?”

“I will instruct you in no secrets until you prove yourself worthy.” d’Amortus answered, walking after but staying several steps back. “I will merely show you things that you should already know.”

“Whaddya mean, already know?” Lodekai glanced over her shoulder at the pale figure.

“You show me great disrespect.” The battlemaster answered coldly. “Any true warrior would learn the basic arts of combat before daring to make contact with a master of my caliber. Normally I would allow your own folly kill you in the tunnel when you fail to display even a modicum of martial knowledge. Had not Calvin, whom I respect, sent word to me of your unique case, you would die here.”

“Oh.” Lodekai seemed to shrink, hunching her shoulders and letting her steps shuffle as she continued to walk into the darkness. “Sorry?”

“Do not shrink from reproof.” d’Amortus rebuked her. “Accept criticism with your head held high. Take these words to heart and ponder them, hold them against what you know of yourself and discover in your heart if they are true. If you find them to be so, then act upon them to better yourself. Otherwise know that you are better than others believe and so be bolstered by the knowledge.”

“Okay.” Lodekai let her shoulders drop and tried to walk straighter. “So, I know I’m not a good fighter. I shouldn’t be ashamed of myself for not knowing, just get better so the next time it won’t be true?”

“Yes.” d’Amortus answered with a faint note of relief at managing at least a minor breakthrough with the young undead.

Lodekai smiled as she made her way through the darkness, heartened by even the slightest bit of approval from the foreboding. There was even a bit of bounce to her step, until suddenly the battlemaster dashed in front of her, holding out his hands as if grasping something in the air that she could not see. His fingers trembled with effort; a sight which momentarily captured the undead’s attention. Then she noticed the giant axe blade, as wide as the narrow corridor, descending from the ceiling. With a yelp of surprise she fell backwards onto all fours, once more dropping the sword into the dirt. d’Amortus glared over his shoulder at her and she scrambled back to her feet, retrieving the sword quickly.

“Go.” The battlemaster growled finally, when she failed to move again.

Blushed faintly from her ignorance she ducked under the gleaming edge, which was still descending slowly. Once she was on the other side, d’Amortus allowed the blade to fall with a loud shrunk before simply appearing on the other side of it.

“Battle lesson number one.” He said, voice hard as iron. “Pay attention to the world around you.”

Lodekai started to shrink away once more before remembering his earlier words. With some effort she kept her head held high and just nodded. “Okay, Master d’Amortus.”

Looking ahead through the gloom, she scanned the ceiling before taking another step. She didn’t see anything so she started to advance before remembering there were three other surfaces that unseen weapons could spring from. Looking along the walls on either side she began walking slowly forward, scanning the tunnel ahead for anything else that might leap out and try to slice her in half. Sure enough there was a second trap waiting a few hundred feet down the tunnel. This was a circular blade that was nestled inside the right wall. Thankfully her night vision allowed her to see the darker recess in the cave wall. She paused when she saw it ahead of her and began to look about for what might trip it, so that she could get past it unharmed.

“There is no way to avoid triggering the attack of the blade.” d’Amortus supplied, just preventing a sigh. “The idea is to test your knowledge of dodging an attack.”

“Ooh.” Lodekai answered, craning her head to gawk at the just visible blade. “How do I do that?”

“This is designed to be overcome by a rolling dive. I will deactivate it until you learn what you must to pass the trial.” Much to his credit, the battlemaster did not react to her naiveté. Instead his form became solid again as he stepped forward to stand beside her.

“Think of your arm as a wheel upon which to roll.” He moved to stand with his right side facing forward. He flattened his hand and curled his arm into a rough circle with his hand right about waist height, fingers pointing back and elbow pointing forward. Diving forward, he landed on his forearm but instead of that arm taking all the weight, and quite probably snapping, he rolled along the edge of his curled arm up onto his shoulder and then over along his back until he reached his left slide. His left palm slapped flat against the ground to bleed off the momentum before he pushed off with that hand to rise smoothly to his feet. “Now you try.”

Looking at her sword a minute, she sat it down carefully on the ground and then pulled off her knapsack and placed it on the ground before trying to mimic his stance. d’Amortus walked back to where she was standing and patiently corrected the minor errors in her stance; showing her how to place her feet and after some coaxing convincing her to relax her arm, to keep it pliant so that she could adjust as she moved. Once he was convinced she was ready, he allowed her to try. Throwing herself forward with a little too much zeal, the undead landed on her shoulder and fell onto her back with an audible whump, the kris in her boot clattering out onto the floor.

“Again.” d’Amortus demanded. Silently, Lodekai rose to her feet and returned to the starting point, moving the kris over to rest beside the cutlass before resuming the starting stance. Again the battlemaster pointed out small corrections. It took seven tries and two already swelling bruises on her shoulders before she finally understood what she was trying to do. He made her complete three successfully before he was satisfied. Then he made her practice with her weapons in hand. When he was sure she wasn’t going to break or neck or impale herself, he made her return to the other side of the blade.

“You must still pass the trial itself.” He reminded her as he picked up her knapsack and carried it to the other side. “The blade trap is now reset.”

Taking a deep breath, Lodekai returned to the start position. It felt natural now and the battlemaster had no corrections to make. She rocked back and forth from her front to back foot a few times before diving forward. It was much harder with weapons in the mix but she managed to land properly on the arch of her arm and roll across the threshold of the trap as the blade sliced out, slamming the hilt of the kris into the ground to propel herself to her feet on the other side. She twisted to look at the circular blade, which was now lodged into the opposite wall. Then she turned to beam at her combat master.

“Well done.” He allowed with just a faint touch of pride as he handed her knapsack back to her. “But there are many more trials ahead.”

Lodekai
03-17-08, 04:01 PM
--------
Ambience (http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/62062)
--------

“So, um…” Lodekai paused and half turned to look at the battlemaster. d’Amortus had returned to his specter form, floating immaterial a few feet behind her. “How do you know my father?”

He didn’t answer right away so the little undead turned back to the front and continued walking. She was carrying both weapons now, though her hands were sweaty and she felt awkward with them. She had no idea how to really carry them without disrespecting them and was still somewhat afraid of the battlemaster’s dire warning. Even though she couldn’t see the sky so deep beneath the ground, she could feel that the sun had set. Her vision was improving and despite the bruises she felt more energetic. After her success with the first trial she was feeling much more upbeat. Sure it was probably going to take her about three times as long as it was supposed to for her to finish the trials, as long as Master d’Amortus was around to help her, she knew that she could handle them.

“You should be worried about other things, child.” He finally answered, nearly making the undead jump. “This is a place of combat and death. Not of idle chatter.”

“I’m sorry, Master d’Amortus.” Lodekai answered penitently, keeping her eyes on the walls ahead. The tunnel seemed to be made up if unrelenting dirt walls. They were tightly packed but a little shook loose occasionally and landed in her hair and on her clothes. Despite being underground the cave was surprisingly dry and solid. Her boots didn’t leave any prints as she passed. It was also empty of any kind of life. Lodekai had found herself expecting spider webs, ants and beetles. None were to be found .In fact there was no sign of any insects at all in the closely packed dirt.

So was so absorbed in her study of the walls that she almost failed to notice the next trap inset. She paused only a step away from a groove that wrapped all the way around all four surfaces. Glancing further down the tunnel she saw five more exactly like it. All just about one pace apart. Lodekai glanced over her shoulder once more at her translucent trainer. He didn’t respond at all but stood staring straight ahead.

“Master d’Amortus? I don’t think a rolling dive will get me across all six of these…”

After a few brief heartbeats, the flickering figure blinked and turns his head to look at her and then the trap beyond. “Quite perceptive.”

“So how do I get across it?” Lodekai asked meekly.

“Try to cross it and see what happens.” He answered simply. “Do not worry, I won’t allow you to be harmed at this point.”

The undead looked at the long narrow trench that circled the cavern ahead and swalloed hard, imagining four blades slicing out to quarter her. As she placed one foot over the narrow gap, she heard the whistle of a blade cutting the wind and naturally shied away from the sound at her left side, twisting out of the way only by virtue of her flexible frame. She turned forward only to find herself staring at a sword-sized blade that had descended from the ceiling. She stopped still, swallowing hard. She turned to look over her shoulder to see d’Amortus doing the odd shaky thing with his fingers again. This time he made a motion as if pushing something back and the sword blades retracted back into their niches. Lodekai slowly returned back across the threshold of the trap.

“This is designed to test basic knowledge of blocking and parrying in combat. The pattern of attack changes each time it is engaged.” He told her as he once more shifted from a flickering vision to a solid man. If there was a small note of annoyance in his tone, it came from the knowledge of the task before him. When faced with incoming weapon strikes she had not even attempted to raise her own weaponry. “Show me your fighting stance.”

Nodding, Lodekai slung the knapsack off her shoulder and sat it aside before raising her two weapons into the stance she had used fighting the demon in her master’s cavern. Feet shoulder width apart, her body turned sideways. Her left side facing forward with the kris held back against her forearm at waist height with the cutlass trailing behind her at a low angle, the blade almost touching the ground. The battlemaster circled her several times before pronouncing his judgment.

“This stance is weak.” He said simply, once more clasping his hands behind his back. “Tell me why.”

“Um, well…” Lodekai turned her head to follow the arc of his pacing. “Mean people can kick my knee and hurt it pretty bad?”

That earned a dry chuckle from d’Amortus. “Yes, your knee is exposed. How do you propose to overcome this weakness?”

Rather than answering right away, the little undead looked down at her feet. She began shifting her stance, trying different placements to find some way that wouldn’t allow an enemy to blow out her knee with a solid kick. Finally she settled on turning the left foot so that the toes pointed forward. This also aligned the knee forward into a much less vulnerable position.

“Very good.” d’Amortus nodded still circling her like a carrion bird. “Now, what else is weak about your stance?”

Lodekai looked down at her hands and then her feet, face pulled into a look of concentration. After a few moments she gave up and looked back up at the battlemaster, admitting quietly. “I don’t know.”

d’Amortus nodded, thankful that she was at least able to admit her ignorance, which was better than he could say for a great deal of the students he had trained over the years. “Then what will you do to overcome that weakness?”

“Um…” The little undead looked lost for a minute before realizing what he wanted. “How is my stance weak, Master d’Amortus?”

“You use a blade that has only one edge.” He pointed out; walking around behind her where to blade was extended. “Yet with this grip that single edge is on the opposite side of the body, facing away from your enemy. This is weak. By the time you bring the blade around your body and turn it to face the enemy any opportunity you wished to exploit will surely have been corrected.”

Lodekai thought about this for several long moments, tilting her head to one side and closing her eyes as she tried to visualize how to hold the sword facing her enemy. Her shoulders moved faintly with imagined strikes as she tried to find an adjustment. Finally she arrived at a simple conclusion. The problem wasn’t her hand, it was her feet. Leaving her stance, she turned around to face her right side forward, her left foot planted horizontally while her right was turned vertically, the toes pointed forward. This allowed her to hold her sword forward, blade facing the enemy. Unfortunately it also left her in the dark as to what to do with the dagger. She tried a few awkward positions before finally realizing she simply didn’t know. The cutlass she could get a vague idea of how to hold but the dagger seemed useless in that stance, since she could no longer use it defensively. Feeling humbled once more she glanced up at d’Amortus. “How should I hold my dagger, Master d’Amortus?”

“I will show you three basic guards, for now.” He told her, walking up to face her. “Do not worry about your sword for the moment, leave it at rest.”

Lodekai complied, allowed the cutlass to dip down, resting the flat side of the blade against her thigh.

“First is the Rear Guard, which is useful if you are being attacked from behind or both sides.” He explained, taking a stance similar to hers, but facing the opposite direction. He curled his left hand as if it held a weapon and moved it to hover over his left hip, making sure to keep his arm muscles loose and relaxed. Lodekai mimicked the action. From there left his shoulder where it was and simply extended his elbow and straightened his wrist so that his arm was a straight line. Lodekai copied the motion hesitantly and then returned to the basic Rear Guard when the battlemaster did. This time he rotated his elbow upwards, turning his wrist so that the palm faced forward at roughly shoulder height with the flat of the blade in position to black a high strike. Again, when Lodekai had completed the motion he returned to the guard position. The third time he straightened his elbow but left it at an acute low angle, his palm naturally turning inwards once more to present to flat to the blade to block. “These are the mid, high and low blocks of the Rear Guard.”

Lodekai nodded, repeating each one slowly and without any force, trying to burn the motions into muscle memory.

“Next is the Mid Guard.” He continued. “It is called into play when facing multiple foes from three sides.” He resumed the Rear Guard and from there shifted his hand forward to the middle of his torso, hovering above his navel with the thumb facing up towards his pointed chin. From there he brought his wrist up on an arc to his left shoulder, always with the palm facing inwards so that the flat of the weapon would protect the head. Returning to the basic guard he rotated his arm in a similar downward arc, though he didn’t straight his arm out bending the wrist to form an elongated S curve that protected his lower body between the hips and knees. For the third block he simply flicked his wrist out as if batting away a fly. When Lodekai repeated the action with kris in hand, she realized the motion was intended to deflect stabbing attacks aimed at the gut.

Once more Lodekai repeated each action in turn, though these seemed simpler to her than the Rear Guard.

“Last is the Fore Guard.” Rather than keeping in line with the previous two guards, he brought his hand up just above his right shoulder. Lodekai copied the stance and then frowned. Something seemed off. Following the standard set by the first two guards, she brought her wrist straight up, this time with the palm naturally facing outwards. Then she tilted her head to look at the blade of the knife that was facing away from her sticking out rather uselessly in midair. Switching the kris around into a regular grip, she repeated the motion and found the wavy blade to be much more usefully placed in protection of her face. Then belatedly she looked over at the battlemaster. He did not reproach her uninstructed actions but rather gave a thin smile and nodded once in approval. “The Fore Guard is used when only facing one opponent, or when the enemies are all approaching from the front. Since both of your weapons are facing forward, the sword becomes your primary weapon for both defense and attack and the dagger plays a much smaller part, used only as a secondary defense against strikes the slip through your guard. However this guard also presents a unique and powerful counter. A simply forward thrust when pressing the attack in close proximity to your attacker can prove invaluable.”

Lodekai nodded her understanding and began cycling through the three blocks without having to be shown the actual motions for that guard. She didn’t notice the glint of approval in the old battlemaster’s harsh blue eyes.

“On to the four basic sword blocks. Dagger to Mid Guard. Hold out your sword as if it were a friend with which you were shaking hands.” That gave the undead a little trouble. Her natural inclination was the choke up along the hilt, holding the sword with her hand all the way against the hilt. She finally realized she had to hold it at an angle, the heel of her hand against the pommel of the short handgrip. Then with that grip she had to tilt her wrist so that the thumb was in a straight line with her arm so that the blade was held out, as opposed to holding her hand with the thumb pointing upwards as she had been.

When she’d finally matched his en garde position, he continued his instruction wordlessly. Not raising his wrist up or down he slid it to the right, twisting the palm of his hand to face outwards, as with the knife presenting the flat of the blade to block. Lodekai didn’t notice this last motion and presented the cutting edge of her sword forward.

“Never block with the edge of your sword.” d’Amortus rebuked sharply. “You will dull your striking edge and damage the integrity of your weapon.”

“Yes, Master d’Amortus.” Lodekai replied contritely, repeating the motion correctly this time. Then the battlemaster returned to the on guard stance, this time sliding his arm to the left and turning his wrist to face palm inwards. When the undead matched the action he returned to center. Raising his elbow until it was in line with his shoulder, he twisted his wrist all the way around until his thumb pointed straight down, his hand turning inwards to present the flat of the sword. Lastly he brought his arm up, tilting his hand palm out to hold the sword vertically in front of his face. Lodekai repeated each of the four several times, always having trough with the high black since it required a larger motion than the other three.

“Rear Guard high block.” d’Amortus barked. Lodekai responded a bit sluggishly, sliding the dagger back to Rear Guard before bringing it up to block.

“You do not need to return to center of a guard before blocking that direction.” The battlemaster pointed out as he folded his hands once more behind him and began walking a slow circle around the undead. “Mid Guard low block. High sword block.”

The undead struggled to follow each swift command as he ordered her from guard to guard, sometimes failing completely if he called a sword block while she was too focused on remembering the dagger guards. Still, Lodekai struggled to obey, her arms and shoulders quickly tiring from the unfamiliar motions. Each time she reacted with the wrong block, she was not rebuked but her own embarrassment pushed her to quickly correct with the right motion.

When he finally relented in his rapid fire commands, Lodekai all but collapsed on the dirt, setting aside her weapons and reaching up to rub her aching shoulders with the opposite hands. Her features twisted up in an expression of pain but she didn’t utter a single complaint under those hard watchful eyes.

“Because you have no partner with which to spar, I will allow you a handicap on this trial.” He told her in his emotionless iron voice. “I do not expect you to recognize the direction of the attacks in the time the trial requires, so I will call out the blocks for you. You have only to react appropriately to succeed.”

“Thank you, Master d’Amortus.” Lodekai replied humbly, rising to her feet. First she reached for her knapsack and slung it over an aching shoulder before retrieving her weapons. Stepping up to the first threshold. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “I am ready.”

The battlemaster didn’t answer but waited patiently for her to take the first step. Her foot had hardly settled on the hard packed dirt when the first harsh command assaulted her ears.

“Mid high!” Her left hand came up to protect her face and she nearly lost the kris as hard steel impacted on plynt. The impact jarred her arm but she did her best to adjust. She took another step, advancing to the second groove.

“Mid low, far left!” Mid Guard low was natural and she held on more firmly this time, arm absorbing the impact of the incoming blade. Far left wasn’t something he’d bothered to cover but it wasn’t a stretch of the imagination. Moving the sword to the left block, she twisted her torso around to block a chest high strike from the left wall.

“Roll!” That threw her off a bit but she did her best to remember the dive he’d taught her earlier. She threw herself forward and rolled along the line of her shoulders, rising to her feet just in time to hear the clack of steel hitting steel. She’d just blocked an attack form both sides, that one must have been from above and below. The thought chilled her but she had not time to feel fear.

“Drop, mid mid!” He called. Lodekai thoughtlessly dropped to one knee, the kris flashing up to knock aside the attack that would have been aimed at her feet if she’d still be standing. Careful of the blade spike hanging from the ceiling she advanced and rose to her full, if unimpressive, height once more.

“Far left, rear high!” That one caught her off guard at first but as she turned to execute the far left block she found her torso was now facing the left wall so when she turned her head to block with the Rear Guard high, the blade from the right wall was now heading for her back.

“Far right, fore low!” As she turned to the right she found two blades striking out at her from the same wall, one at waist height and the other stabbing for her knees. The cutlass knocked the first aside while she quickly switched her grip on the dagger and dropped the blade down to intercept that attack,

As she whirled back to face front, she stood perfectly still, breathing hard. No other commands came. She blinked a few times and glanced down to see that the tunnel continued in front of her uninterrupted. She turned to look for the battlemaster to find him standing beside her, having faded back into a shadowy apparition.

“That it?” She asked, feeling a little confused.

“That is it.” d’Amortus confirmed with a nod. “You have passed the second trial.”

“Whew.” Lodekai relaxed, shoulders slumping. “I’m tired. Can I rest now?”

“No.” The battlemaster answered and then thought better of his harsh reply and added. “After ever third trial there is an antechamber. Complete the next and you may rest there.”