PDA

View Full Version : The Spirits of Oak

Zook Murnig
03-30-08, 01:08 AM
Closed to Tsukiko. You know the deal, man. Give me your best.

"Right this way, Mister Grimaldi."

The orange robed monk called over to Caduceus. You could say he'd become a regular, popping in for a quick test of his skills against some of Althanas' greatest warriors, and some of the foolhardiest. The Ai'Brone's bald head shone as it bobbed about a foot below the magician's chin, but the monk walked with a grace and confidence that belied his strength, both physical and spiritual. Big things come in small packages, indeed.

"Through this door, sir," he said in a deceivingly deep voice, gesturing at an oaken doorway. A leafy tree was carved into its surface, with shimmering green sprinkled over the leaves, and the trunk and branches glowed a deep, earthy red, like clay.

"Thank you, Jared," the young man replied, bowing his head to the monk as he reached for the glassy obsidian handle. "I guess I'll see you afterward, when you put me back together, hm?" The magician didn't look back for a response, however, as he turned the knob and stepped into the wooded arena.

Most of the trees around him were oak, like the door that had lead him there, with a few elms and other seasonals scattered here and there. Sparse grass grew where yellow-green sunlight filtered down spottily through the branches above. Shrubs and bushes formed natural hedges throughout. And in the distance stood an old, tall rywan, its sheer girth setting it apart from the trees around it. Bare clay surrounded the behemoth, as little light made it through its thick canopy.

Striding towards the prodigious tree, Caduceus wondered what sort of opponent he would face in this particular forest.

Tsukiko
03-30-08, 06:28 PM
It was my first time to the citadel. Mother had told me that it was great place for a match but not a place to go to often. It was an arena where people that died in it’s many battles were brought back from death, good as new. The problem with going too much was that it would desensitize a person from death. A warrior that fought too much in the citadel might become overly brave and use foolish tactics where death was real or worse might grow cruel after seeing so many battles where the defeated walked away without incident.

But for me on my first time it gave an opportunity for a fight where I wouldn’t have to hold back or flee of worry of death. It was going to be a true battle without the worries of war.

I smiled at myself in the mirror as I checked my set up. I was wearing my armor that covered my chest belly and upper legs. Not the most protective armor but it did make a difference and my style was not to get hit in the first place. I had my hair tied into a pony tail to keep it out of my eyes. My blades were worn on my sides and I wore a bow and quiver on my upper back.

I was ready. My weapons were where they were easily accessible and wouldn’t be in the way from my running around. I smiled and left my bare tavern room for the citadel.

I walked through the streets to the building that dwarfed anything nearby. It was filled with ancient statues of great warriors inside and out. It seemed a bit pretentious to have statues that made a girl like me feel small but it was probably how it was meant to be. I wasn’t supposed to feel like an invincible hero, for only invincible heroes were meant to fell that way.

“Miss, can I help you?” A robe man ambushed me. A girl like me should have seen him coming but I was a bit nervous.

“Oh!” I jumped a little before thinking strait. “Yes, I came for a battle.” One has to wonder if the monk knew I’d say that or if everyone comes for a fight.

“Hmm, there is one man waiting for an opponent. I’ll take you there right away.” The monk made brisk steps to a solid oaken door and opened it letting me in.

The scene that greeted me was a sweet forest. It was almost like home but not quite. All the trees were solid oak with bright green leaves with few exceptions, not a single Akashima redwood or sakura around. Spring wasn’t the same without a blossoming sakura. I really wished they added a few here to make the fight more like a samurai romance.

Well there was one evergreen tree in the woods. A huge spire of a tree that dwarfed everything here and would even dwarf the redwoods of home. I looked at the tree and noticed my opponent. He looked like a young man in robes, more a priest or a monk. He wasn’t a warrior in the least. I was hoping to clash steel with a great swordsman but that wasn’t the case this time.

He had to have a surprise. I was sure so I went to face him at several paces away and bowed. “Hi, I’m Doji Tsukiko. I am your opponent and I hope that I will make a decent challenge.” I also hoped he would make a decent challenge as well.

Zook Murnig
04-08-08, 01:30 PM
The greatest and foolhardiest, indeed. Caduceus had waited under the enormous rywan tree for only a few minutes before his opponent arrived. She was a queer one, being a strange mix of vulpine characteristics and human form. Red hair fell from her head, and fur of the same color covered every part of her body that was visible. And here the fox-girl was, standing before him introducing herself to the very person she knew would be trying to kill her today.

Not to mention it was yet another girl that he was to be pitted against. Adonai, why is it that you try me so? he thought.

"Well, Miss Toekick, was it? My name is Caduceus, and I hope I can provide a challenge to you, as well," he said honestly, hoping to get the formalities out of the way quickly. All he wanted was a fight, not a friend. If friendship came of this, however, then so be it. The Lord Elohim works in mysterious ways, after all.

Closing his eyes, the magician called up the power of the elements, summoning the Vayu energy of Air. He opened them once again, keeping the vixen in view as he began to feel lighter and lighter. Still, even as he drew upon the elemental energy, he did not give it form, nor intent. Not yet. He needed to know if she would take the initiative, and if so, he would be ready to defend. If not, then he had no choice but to get things underway himself.

Ain Soph, bless me in this battle, that I may fight in your names, and better myself in your names, he prayed.

Tsukiko
04-18-08, 05:10 PM
As first impressions go, I wasn’t impressed with Caduceus at all. He couldn’t even pronounce my name correctly and it seemed like he was mocking my greeting. But Either way I had no clue about the guy other than he seemed young and had a straggly beard that needed a good trim. For all I knew, he could have been a bum.

And no, my mother was never a bum. She was a ronin and the key difference was that ronin were warriors and bums were not.

Still I was worried. This man did nothing to show how he would fight and I never really liked bad surprises. He just stood there and waited. I was going to make the first move and yet he had no defensive stance or any sign that if I rushed in with a blade, he wouldn’t fall in the first few moments of the fight.

But maybe there was a sign. There was a strange feeling in the air as the forest was still as statues but there seemed to be a subtle pull that rose my tail fur. There was something special about this man and I had to careful.

Rushing in with swords flashing would be a bad idea against any foe worth his salt. I took a step forward and drew one blade. I smiled as I looked into the man’s eyes. There was something special about him.

I had to test him out before doing anything rash. With my free hand I shot forward and released a torrent of fox fire from the hand. The blue flame rushed at the man hoping to burn him and I wanted to see how he handled it. If he couldn’t handle simple fox fire then it would be good to finish him quickly and not waste any more time with the stranger.