PDA

View Full Version : Through the 05 or Corone's toll road?

Melancor
03-30-08, 02:09 AM
Well I was just wondering.

Will the current maps we have on the almanac ever be edited to accommodate the "other regions" if not neutral ground for possible new regions?

I know I pretty much speak for myself but I think that maybe Althanas is a bit small, it gives me some angst to see how the continent opens up at the edge of the map and then you don't know what the fuxs is there. I know you are pretty much free to make whatever you want of this land (not something too glamorous I suppose). but idk.

I was just wondering because I use the maps a lot to position Melancor within Althanas and since his plot has a lot to do with nature and climate I have to be assume that (for example) If a hurricane where to emerge somewhere at sea between Fallien and a probably colder region (as I see it the most suitable place) I would have to make up where the hell Istraloth's position is.

Also small stuff like political boundaries within earth-bound nations (Not to mention you don't even have specific maps of these, just that general one which i have to use a magnifying glass to guestimate what the heck that thing is, a mountain or a town?), and probably making even more obvious which cities are more spectacular in size than others. I am assuming that the maps where loosely created to allow the writers to use as much creative license as they please. But idk...

Not only the maps, but some of the almanac seems outdated already. It's probably me though, I probably haven't been here long enough to tell if there was actually a change or not.

Sometimes I just feel like fixing them myself and then being all like... look this is probably better.

Anyhow, I was just wondering if there are any plans on reforming the maps, making them more specific or what not.

A Nony Mouse
03-30-08, 08:45 AM
Right now I can find an old world map and then enlarged maps of Corone, Scara Brae, Fallien, and Raiaera. I agree about the fact that it's nice to know where things lie in relationship to one another. Seems to me these dusty old things could use some updating.

Ashiakin
03-30-08, 04:19 PM
Sighter and I just finished up some maps last night and we're looking at getting someone to make them all pretty on the computer. Hopefully they'll be seen soon.

Also, I'm immensely proud of the fact that you tried to map out storm patterns (I say this as someone who once tried to plot out where continental plates and ocean currents are on Althanas.) But I've come to think that that sort of strict continuity is not appropriate for Althanas. I'm not saying we don't need it at all--we obviously do so that our characters can relate to and interact with each other in a sensible manner. To me, internal continuity within a story is more important than Althanas-wide continuity.

The FQ that is going on now is actually designed to help incorporate the ideas of players with the ideas of the writers into what's going to be the post-FQ cannon. The reason it may seem that so much is outdated now is because the FQ is going to change much of it and there would be little point in writing stuff up that is just going to get taken down a few months later. So ultimately there is going to be more updated cannon info at the conclusion of the FQ (maps included,) but probably not to the degree that you are asking for.

If you or anyone would like to discuss any of this in detail, I'd be happy to do so sometime (though I must warn you I don't have a very stable internet connection right now.)

A Nony Mouse
03-30-08, 06:34 PM
I'll look forward to these changes then!

Cyrus the virus
03-30-08, 10:20 PM
Althanas will never have a complete map, there's always be unexplored areas. That's the way I see it, anyway. Our style of writing, our entire approach to roleplaying is dependent on a rather large amount of freedom. It's kind of the reason we don't have canonical 'Gods' of Althanas, a canonical root of magic, and things of that nature.

But yeah, the maps are somewhat vague. We don't need to determine precisely how many cubic inches of glass there is in Nirrakal. Extreme example.

AdventWings
03-30-08, 10:28 PM
As an up-and-coming ecologist, I have to say mapping out storm patterns and ocean currents is one helluva job.

:p

And, yes, those maps are pretty dated. You could use them as rough references, as you would any Golden Age of Sailing era Maps. They're not a hundred percent accurate, but it's what you got.

There's no penalty for creating your own, either. :D

Melancor
04-02-08, 06:46 PM
I could probably figure a rational way for the Althanian seas, and part of its ocean to work, I sort of have already rather, though I would have to look at the new maps before I could consider to approach anyone about it. So I'll look forward for the updated maps.

Kially Gaith
04-20-08, 05:44 PM
If it comes down to it, I have an extended grasp of how wind, tornadoes and most air based storms occur, travel and form. - Much study went into the creation of Kially!

Feel free to PM me for any of this knowledge or links to locations I got such knowledge.