PDA

View Full Version : Your Forum Asplode

Bevel
04-07-08, 08:08 AM
Every so often, Althanas.com just quits working for me. I'm not sure if this is due to traffic on its end, but for the rest of the day it'll just seize up and refuse to load - opening new tabs or instances of Firefox won't work, and rebooting my compy only works half the time. It's not my connection, as I can use other pages in the meantime; it's just Althanas.

Does anyone else have this problem, or does my compy just hate this site?

A Nony Mouse
04-07-08, 08:15 AM
sometimes i can't access althanas.com, but my comp always lets me get on the forums. try bookmarking a thread or something and see if it'll load that. other than that, i rly can't help. sorry :(

Bloodrose
04-07-08, 08:56 AM
I was having the same issue yesterday afternoon. It's a problem that comes and goes, and one minute the page might not load while the next it will behave just fine. Usually just trying the site a few times yields success on my end, but using an internet proxy seems to be a quick solution if the page just refuses to load despite the site being up.

Logan
04-07-08, 08:57 AM
Wow, coming from the IT field that's kinda strange. Your comp apparently doesn't like PHP interspersed with Java. Maybe uninstall java and reinstall it? That's just weird.

I've had intermittent problems in the past but nothing like that.

Do you have Norton Antivirus or McAfee?

Bloodrose
04-07-08, 09:16 AM
I don't have either Norton or McAfee, but I can't speak for Bevel. I also don't think it's a problem with my computer wanting to handle PHP and Java together, because most of the time I don't have a problem.

Just every once in a while the page doesn't want to load for a little while, and then randomly goes back to working fine.

Ataraxis
04-07-08, 09:21 AM
I admit that this has happened to me before. For about five minutes, Althanas would not load for me, while everyone else I was talking to could get on just fine.

Logan
04-07-08, 09:22 AM
Well, then...welcome to the world of short-term bans ;-) Lol.

Karuka
04-07-08, 09:28 AM
I have the same problem, where it'll glitch for a few minutes and just not like me, but I always figured that it was with the site.

Logan
04-07-08, 09:33 AM
Well, I know that Serilliant runs backups probably daily, so sometimes you can hit the site during that period of time and it's kinda funky. But if it's only you all, then you all are just odd and need to find new ISPs. I've never been without Althanas when someone else could get on.

Perhaps you are all infected with "it"!!! Run from "it"! "It" is BAD news!

A Nony Mouse
04-07-08, 09:40 AM
my internet does that same thing with a bunch of sites, so it's my connection probs.

Kially Gaith
04-08-08, 04:26 AM
Computer geek to the rescue!

If this happens again. Try this. It's not a guaranteed solution but:

Close all applications using the internet (Yes, this does include instant messengers.)

Then do the following

Go to start - Run - CMD - ipconfig /flushdns

This works a large majority of the time. If anyone wants an explanation why it works, I'd be glad to state such.

A Nony Mouse
04-08-08, 07:05 AM
i just wanna know what it does before i do it.

Kially Gaith
04-08-08, 07:16 AM
i just wanna know what it does before i do it.

It flushes your DNS cache.

Your DNS cache holds the domain name of the website to be resolved to an IP address so that your computer knows what to contact. By flushing the DNS cache you clear this, thus allowing the system to make a clean fresh connection.

Canen Darkflight
04-08-08, 07:37 AM
Elite Danneh to the rescue!

I have real issues with the loading times more often than not. But, hey ho.

Kially Gaith
04-08-08, 08:07 AM
Get Firefox, I'll teach you how to mod it so EVERY page loads faster.

Bevel
04-08-08, 08:16 AM
Thanks for all the responses, gents. I'll try the DNS flush next time it dies on me like that.

Letho
04-08-08, 08:51 AM
This happens to me as well. I don't think it's my ISP because everything else loads normally when I try it during this downtime. On top of that, I changed locations, connections and computers in the last couple of months but the problem persists. Hell, it happened to me some ten minutes ago. It's not that bad, though. You just wait a couple of minutes and then everything is OK. I'll try the DNS flush next time.

AdventWings
04-08-08, 09:49 AM
Either that or it's your country's firewall, Letho. :p

I know mine does that to a lot of sites. I can't get past them without using a proxy. And believe me, it still suck'd.

*Had to use one to reach YouTube last year*

A Nony Mouse
04-08-08, 11:16 AM
Get Firefox, I'll teach you how to mod it so EVERY page loads faster.

ooh, do tell.

HikariAngel
04-08-08, 12:25 PM
I think it's just a problem with Althanas in general. Some days it'll work perfectly fine, then glitch for two-three minutes when every other site loads properly. It's just something you learn to live with.

Kially Gaith
04-08-08, 02:43 PM
ooh, do tell.

Get firefox.

Go to the address bar

Type in the following

about:config

Hit enter.

Now, use the search function to search for the word pipe

You SHOULD get three results.

Network.http.pipelining
Network.http.pipelining.maxrequests
Network.http.proxy.pipelining

Right click the first and third, setting them to 'true'.
Right click the second and click modify. If you're on a very good connection, type in 100. If you're on an average connection, type 50, if you're on a low end connection, type in 25. Press okay.

Restart Firefox.

Webpages will now load at close to light speed in most cases. (With EXTREMELY large sites being the only exception.)

A Nony Mouse
04-08-08, 03:08 PM
restarting now, i'll let you know how it goes...

Edit: No noticeable difference yet, but we'll see how it holds up longterm. Thanks!

Kially Gaith
04-08-08, 03:11 PM
restarting now, i'll let you know how it goes...

Edit: No noticeable difference yet, but we'll see how it holds up longterm. Thanks!

Try clearing your cache then loading up a page. Pages that are locally cached will always load at the same speed unless your Firefox memory buffer is modified to load data faster.

Canen Darkflight
04-10-08, 04:21 AM
What if you're on a works machine with IE6? (I know, I know...)

Kially Gaith
04-10-08, 04:27 AM
Then ask them if you can get firefox for more secure browsing and faster browsing! </insert shameless ad>