PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Impasse

Striker
06-12-06, 04:31 PM
(solo)
The bandit pair, with flashing swords and clinking chain mail crashed through the red mountain passes of northern Alerar. Coming to a cul de sac, they glared at each other. The trail had ended, and the smart-mouthed cat man they had been chasing wasn’t here. Who, exactly, had screwed up? It wasn’t long before they started arguing, the taller of the two pushing first, a fistfight breaking out, two grown men hurling each other against the rock. The arrowhead creeping out from behind a rock outcropping gave up on picking an individual target, and fired into the melee. A piercing cry surprised a flock of small birds to flight, as the fight ended as suddenly as it had begun. One of the two combatant bandits had acquired something of a tail, its long shaft ending in a plume of feathers. He was here, and he had shot at them. The two bandits weren’t stupid. They had been in this game long enough to realize when one is getting shot, he or she is best served by taking cover. But as long as they were distracted by finding the source of the arrowhead, Striker felt it was only fair to show them.

The second arrow planted itself squarely in the taller bandit’s solar plexus, and the impact and shock of its entrance staggered the human. His friend, however, had seen the flight path, and shuffled his way toward his foe as fast as he could with an arrow planted in his rear. Face screwed with pain, he and his sword were thirsty for blood and vengeance. A third arrow planting itself in his right shoulder did little to slow him down, so Striker leapt over the rock face, laughing. His opponent charged in awkward half-steps while the beast man readied his blade.

The fight was brief. Without the use of his shoulder, the cat had no difficulty blocking his slowed attacks and piercing his guard. Gracelessly, he slashed the man across the gut with the axe blade of his weapon, and left him to tumble down the slight incline to Striker’s hiding place. The taller bandit, however, was getting up. Yellow eyes watched him approach, coughing up lungs. Silently, he used the last reserves of his energy to raise his sword. The spear tip stopped him, briefly, but he kept moving forward – stopped by the axe and pick on either side of the weapon. Finally, the blade fell six feet short of its target. Striker retrieved his arrows.

That had gone well. When the trio of bandits attacked his caravan, it had been no trouble at all to distract two into chasing him. Acellya could surely handle the third, and with her Silas should have no trouble getting to the next city. The city where they were going to meet up. Ett-something-more? Silas had been talking about it for a while… he always got excited when they were going to a big city. It didn’t matter which one. Striker grinned at the purple mountains of the setting sun, enjoying the moment. They wouldn’t wait for him, and he would make faster time on his own than that nag Silas had pulling the cart. It would take them almost a week to make it to the city at the pace they were going. That gave Striker a weeklong vacation – he’d just need a hell of a story to explain why he hadn’t bothered to do his job while they made their way south.

Striker slung his bow back across his shoulders while he mused over lies. “One of those villains was a vampire!” he offered, returning his slightly gorier arrows. “I kept killing him, but he kept waking back up the next day. We fought for a week!” he checked his slain foes for valuables. Chain mail and swords – useless. “After two days, I had killed him so many times he offered to hire me as his teacher, but I told him he had to prove his worth by killing me first.” With the sun at his back, Striker made a slow return through the mountain passes.

“So this evil vampire, his name was uhh… Boris von Killermeister, he summons these wolves straight from hell! I was pretty scared, but, y’know, I just kept my focus, and it wasn’t long before I’d beaten the whole pack straight back down!” He was getting into the rhythm of it now. “This Von Killermeister fella, he was furious! He kept offering me, say, his daughter. His castle. At first he wanted me to teach him how to fight, but by day four he just wanted me to stop killin’ him!” Walking through skeleton brush, the creatures of the night came out of their shadows. “After six days, though, I couldn’t kill ‘im! He’d been fighting for a week straight, y’know, he’d finally learned a damn thing or two, and it took me all day to finally kill him dead. I waited for hours for him to wake up, so I could tell him he’d graduated, that he’d learned all he could from me, all that stuff, but he never did! I’d stabbed him with the wood part, through one of the… fifty holes that were already in him! I guess he could take it from steel, but he must have been allergic to wood, because that finally did him in!” The night continued to spread around Striker as the mountains ate the sun.

“The first person I ever taught how to fight, and I killed the poor bastard! I mean, I must’ve killed him five hundred times, but that last one sure did him in. I tell ya, I’m never going to teach anyone my fighting techniques again! They’re too dangerous!”

“How noble of you”. The coughing voice behind Striker brought his fur to it’s height. He fumbled for his weapon, pointing it at the shadows, the tip trembling with shock, fight, and adrenaline. “You really should be more careful with students, though. Most don’t even survive the first time you kill them.” A hacking laugh, as Striker’s pupils widened under the darkening sky.

His weapon raised, significantly. This shadow-man was tall – and not many were taller than Striker! He practically loomed over everything, gaunt as he was, and he was already hunched over. Gripping his stomach. From which blood was dripping. Striker’s fear suddenly died away, and his weapon dropped. Approaching without a second thought, he investigated the situation.

This monstrosity should be dead. He was thoroughly gutted. He was holding his entrails in! Striker leapt back with the realization. Maybe he was dead! He gripped his weapon tighter, as his fears became realized.

“...you aren’t a vampire, are you?”

The long silence which followed the query was terrible, but the mocking laugh that followed was even worse.

Striker
06-13-06, 06:40 PM
Pale from blood loss, a lopsided grin emerged from shadow. Against the deep purples of the setting sun, he was hiding in plain sight among the pale greens of the shrubs, the chalky yellow of the dusty ground, and the blood-and-vinegar red of the mountain rocks. If he hadn’t spoke up, Striker would have just walked on by. The beast’s mouth hung open slightly, staring at the display of biology that the camouflaged man was holding in.

“You should see the other guy.” He adjusted his lean to avoid a particularly sharp rock behind his right shoulder, grunting with the dull ache of it. “Actually, maybe you shouldn’t. This path ain’t worth the trouble, doesn’t matter where you’re going.”

Striker’s ears drooped as he considered the cryptic warning. But then, wait just a damned second! This was his shortcut! Since when was a dead man worth listening to? Even if he hadn’t gotten the message yet, who was this bloody rock to tell him which roads were too dangerous for a fearsome warrior such as one who had felled two strong men at once?

“Clement Whitestorm, that’s who.” He replied. “And if two humans is the most you can handle at once, then this road will be more dangerous for you than I thought, Striker. After all, I thought you were a famous vampire slayer?” He was grinning again.

Striker frowned for a moment and kicked at the dust some more. He didn’t like this Clement character’s attitude. He didn’t like it one bit. But, honestly, what was he going to do? Kill a dead man because he’s got a smart mouth? Bah. He was wasting precious time. Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry alone. He chuckled good naturedly, and lifted his weapon again.

“Well, Clement, I appreciate your concern but unless you know exactly why I should take the long route south, I’ll be on my merry way.”

Clement spat, frowning. “That’s the problem, I don’t know. I still don’t know. And it’s going to be all night before I’m in any state to go find out,” he glared at the slow-healing wound, “but if the rest of the trolls are like the first group I found, they are not happy at all.”

Striker’s swagger was cut short like a needle slipping off of a vinyl record. Peering back into the darkness, Striker hoped this was a joke. The grin, however, had vanished.

“Trolls. As in, more than one troll? real trolls? In groups?” Striker checked his pride at the door as he stared in disbelief. “Mountain trolls? What on earth are you here?”

Clement remained silent.

“Do you know what trolls even are? Big, nasty—“

“Watch your tongue, boy. I didn’t get to be this big by just eating my vegetables.”

This gave the cat man some pause. His ears always drooped when he was trying to think. Why in the hell did this lanky mother-rapist care about trolls so damn mu—Oh. OH! Oh dear.

“Sorry about that,” Striker began, but Clement was already grinning again, “But we need to get out of here! Can you walk? I might be able to carry you a little farther down the road! Get to the detour, we’ll be safer there!”

Clement winced. The beast was yelling, unused to the gut-turning concept of fear. He held out his hands to quiet him.

“Shut up. I appreciate the offer, but we’ll be fine as long as one of their patrols doesn’t hear us and—“

A very large axe blade rounded the corner, and a very large sword followed it. Behind them was a two-troll patrol. Standing up straight, they would have been eight feet tall, but the curve of their slouch brought them down to a modest seven and a half feet. Far more impressive, however, was their girth. While another troll would have recognized the differences between the two (the axe-troll, for instance, had more craggy facial features and was obviously the stronger of the two, while the swordstroll had a little more reach and, by troll standards, was actually rather dashing), all Striker saw was a combined weight of some 1300 pounds of muscle armed with weapons as large as him. If Striker knew that these were, in fact, only the light scout patrols he likely would have simply de-atomized out of the raw energy crackling through his central nervous system care of the earth-shattering fear – a far more effective weapon than any blade. They looked at Striker. They looked at each other. This pipsqueak didn’t look like he could fight his way out of an orphanage, much less take out an entire five-troll patrol.

Turning back to him, they grinned at Striker’s feeble attempt to strike a defensive pose. Their orders had been quite clear, when news of the patrol made it back to camp.

“Kill everything.” The axe wielding troll grumbled, holding it high before the mushroom cloud of dust the two warriors left behind in their charge.

Striker’s ears and tails drooped. He was trying to make peace with his own mortality in some kind of philosophical land speed record. It wasn’t working.

Striker
06-15-06, 05:52 PM
The axe planted itself firmly in the hard, dusty ground before Striker even knew he had moved. While the frontal lobe was busy wetting its neurons, pure muscle memory and instinct staged a violent revolution and hurled him forcibly into scratchy and dry desert plants. No time to think – Striker in his element.

Hacking at the leg of his foe earned him a hearty roar of pain, but the satisfaction was short lived. Striker ducked under a meaty claymore’s slice, pruning both the shrubbery and his hair in a deadly arc. The beast flung a spear tip at the Troll’s ribs, but the ill-made and largely improvised chain mail ensured the blow did little more than tickle. Striker leapt again, putting some distance between him and the situation.

Suddenly, he could see more than two deadly blades trying to kill him. The trolls came back into focus. Axe didn’t look particularly pleased about his leg. Sword, on the other hand, was grinning. The slightly taller of the two trolls looked to his superior.

“Ho! Wouldya look at that there! Fightin’! This might even be fun!”

“Shat Op!” bellowed the other, in a thick accent. “Kill it!”

“You wanna fight, there?” Sword said, looking at Striker now. “Or you gonna make us chase you?”

Striker considered this. He was obviously faster than them. They were obviously going to kill him. There were two of them, they could fight, and it wouldn’t be long before they’d be slapping him around like a rag doll for fun.

And then, the cat man made a tragic mistake. He looked over at the shadows, where Clement hid. He couldn’t fight. Even if he could before, he was already dead. Striker spat at the ground. His pride was in place.

“I’ll fight you, and I’ll kill you!” Striker roared, “I’ll kill you and I’ll melt down your blades and use them as a chamber pot!” He made an example with his halberd, swinging it fast enough to clean Axe’s blood off the blade.

In the shadows, Clement blinked in surprise. This literal beast of a man was, obviously, an idiot. As the two foes charged each other, he watched Striker dodge gracelessly and deliver paper cut wounds to his foe. This wouldn’t last long. One hit, and it would be over. Clement didn’t want to see it, but he was in no situation to get up and help. A fool’s death, he sighed. He looked away, and waited for the fight to end.

Moments passed. The sounds of clashing steel and boisterous slurs raged on, and after a few seconds Clement looked up again. The fighting troll looked like a mess. Striker’s halberd was lodged firmly in his back, the handle sticking up like an antenna, but even so he simply could not strike down his unarmed opponent. The proverbial David in this situation was having some trouble getting his weapon back, though. With his opponents attention, he would never get it back.

Striker’s spine popped as he twisted out of the way of another clumsy swipe. This troll’s swordplay was a joke! He hadn’t even broken a sweat, and his foe was using every ounce of strength on every blow. A whistling noise, however, caught his attention – as did the wet splat and roar of a thrown axe hitting its target. The troll turned, foaming at the mouth with rage. Striker leapt and pulled, terrified to let this opportunity pass him by. Stumbling, as the blade slid out, Striker held his weapon high, ready to fight!

…the troll still had his wooden antenna. That meant that he had—

Holding up the axe blade to deflect the sword, Striker resigned himself to make the best of it. He’d have to get close, but at least it was a weapon. He hacked vaguely at his foe, unsteady with the weapon and playing it safe. He’d kill this bastard troll, even if it took all day.

However, the way that Axe troll was looking at the shadows from which Clement had come, all day was something he simply did not have.

Vorin
11-25-06, 10:40 AM
This thread hasn't been posted in a month. I'm closing it up due to inactivity and moving it to the "Unresolved" Forum. Please Private message me to retrieve it if you intend on completing it further. Thank you.