PDA

View Full Version : Level 1 - He almost has reason to brag, now

Culix
06-12-06, 05:31 PM
Level 0 (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?p=731)

Updates in blue.

Name: Jannin Relm
Race: Human
Height: 4'3"
Weight: 88 lb.
Hair Color: Light purple
Eye Color: Green

Appearance:

"Ahhah! I know that look! You think I'm 11 years old, don'cha? Wrong! I'm 15, and don't you forget it! But, don't worry; I'm willing to overlook it if you marvel at my awesomely cool threads. ... Well? Get to marveling, peasant!"
-- Jannin, accosting a random streetgoer

Jannin's wine-colored hair reaches just beyond his shoulders in the back while the front halts right above his eye level. Over his shrimpy physique he wears a light blue sleeved tunic, jammed messily, though almost unnoticeably, into his gray, comfortable pants. The pants are, in turn, tucked into his light brown leather shoes. The midnight blue mantle draped across his hardly muscular shoulders extends to only a few inches above the ground. His boyish face almost always sports a cheerful grin.
Jannin is a wee bit physically stronger than he once was. This hardly affects his physical appearance, but one who knew him well might notice the slight increase in muscle mass he's developed.

Personality:

"Dirty, rotten kid... The little punk barges in here, eats a coupla bowls of soup, then jumps on one of my tables with his dirty shoes! Then he just starts goin' on and on about how we're all lucky to have hosted the world's future ruler! Then, the bloody munchkin runs out without paying!"
-- Restaurant owner, on Jannin

'Jannin thinks quite highly of himself' is an understatement. Prior to obtaining the title of 'world ruler' he believes he deserves, and likely as a means to that end, he aspires to be the leader of some sort of villainous outfit. Despite his malevolent goals, he seems to have very few qualms with performing good deeds; typically his explanation is that it will 'keep the people alive long enough to see his reign of terror' or that it will 'make the moment he turns to the dark side all the more dramatic.' Further, he seems more concerned with mastering the 'cool' mannerisms of villains (maniacal laughter, for instance) than acquiring the skills to actually be villainous. Though he often acts foolish and naive, he has a rather impressive intellect for one his age. He acts with little if any rhyme or reason, quite often doing things solely because they seem like fun. These facts lead most to believe that he's nothing more than a starry-eyed punk without a clue. However, the fervor with which he pursues his nigh impossible goals is almost inspiring to some.
[COLOR="Blue"]After being handily defeated by Thoracis in the first Serenti, the lad has acquired a type of humbleness towards him. While he previously thought himself the most powerful person in the world, he has "for now" yielded that position to the ice mage. As far as his ambitions go, this has been a godsend: he began taking his efforts seriously, which has been marked by a greater interest in magical items or places of power. It has also been observed that the boy is a bit of a bibliophile, and that he enjoys curling up with a good book. Preferably one with an amount of arcane lore or a listing of magic spells within. It has also been noticed that he seems hesitant to speak or even think of the fact that he's not aged a day in four, now almost five, years. He becomes very uncomfortable and instantly changes his focus whenever the topic comes up. Despite this, he still seems as determined as ever to succeed.

Weapons: Yew staff with large, but practically valueless, gem at its peak

"So, you wanna know why I bother to have a big, cheap jewel in my staff. Well, other than looking really cool, I've mastered a new level of spellsmanship! That gem's pretty cheap, but I've turned it into a magical conduit! Why, the only reason you'll never see me use it is 'cause the amount of power it'd unlock would scare even me!"
-- Jannin, lying about his staff

Armor: Clothing; mantle, sleeved tunic, pants, shoes

"Hey! Where are you going? Get back here and marvel! I spent a long time selecting this outfit! It's the coolest one ever, and you're simply going to pass it by without a good marvel? Fine! Give me your name! When I rule the world, you'll be the first to go! ... There. That's better. Heh... You've just put a nail in your own coffin, I. P. Freely..."
-- Jannin, accosting a random streetgoer, continued

Items: Food rations, book of plots and spells, hair brush, tooth brush, mirror, jeweled steel rapier (jewels add 50 GP value; Epic Adventure! (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=130))

"This book is vital to my endeavors; it contains all the spells I learn, as well as all the nefarious plots I cook up. As for the other things... It may seem somewhat lame, but it's the price I pay for the path I walk. Anyone can learn how to fling globes of pure death or summon an army of bloodthirsty wolfmen at any time in their life. However, getting the right look for when you're doing it requires incredible attention to one's hair and dental hygiene right now. I suppose I could use the mirror to house the souls of my fallen enemies, but... then I'd have to contend with their moans whenever I want a touch-up.
"Oh, the rapier? It's just a pretty li'l souvenir I picked up from the Prince of Falrenia. It's hardly more valuable than an average weapon, but whaddaya expect from a country nobody's ever heard of?"
-- Jannin, on his inventory

Skills:

- Cool-looking Staff Technique
"Ha ha! Cower before my awe-inspiring maneuvers! ... See? Against me, you haven't a chance!"

Jannin's not exactly bad with a staff, but his impressive-looking maneuvers are mostly just that: impressive-looking. They emphasize style over substance, so all who engage Jannin in close combat have little to worry about.
Having actually used the weapon in a few fights, the little guy is somewhat proficient with it now. A master will still mop the floor with him using only his little finger, but he'll at least recognize some semblance of ability as he does so.

- Maniacal Laughter
"Fwua ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

Few would consider this a skill worth learning, but Jannin has all but mastered it. The way his normally rather high-pitched voice becomes a deep baritone is unnerving to say the least. Upon hearing it, quite a few people have fled, believing the child to be possessed and boosting Jannin's already bloated ego.
The lad's skill with his laughter doesn't really have very far to go. Some particularly long bouts of cackling have, however, greatly enhanced his lung capacity, allowing him to go without a breath for a bit longer than the average person.

- Fireball
"Let's face facts: ya can't be a villainous mage and not know how to throw a fireball."

This spell is Jannin's bread and butter, so it's only natural that it would improve substantially. It now comes in two distinct types: hors d'oeuvre and main course.
The first simply creates a small (about two inches in diameter) flame that, while warm to the touch, is not fit for a weapon. They are created primarily to provide light (about a five-foot radius), but can act as sparks for highly flammable materials or to help start a campfire. Because their energy expenditures are so low, Jannin can create as many as he wishes, though all fade if he loses consciousness.
The second creates a medium-sized orb (about six inches in diameter) of flame. While his original spell would sting for a bit and simply singe things, the balls can now actually burn things other than highly combustible materials. This means that, for once, this spell is actually a concern in combat. Jannin can cast this spell about eight times every few minutes (about 5 or so) without needing any rest.

- Shocker
"Ha! You're in for quite a shock! ... Don't look at me like that! The pun's obligatory!"

Jannin pieced together this fairly basic spell after looking over another called, uncreatively, Lightning Surge. Thought not nearly as powerful, it has its uses. Casting this spell sends out a yellow stream of electricity(about a foot and a half long) from Jannin's palm. The shock is pretty mild, merely stunning an average human-sized person for a few seconds and incapable of killing anything. It has the same effect if it first travels through a metallic object. Jannin can cast Shocker two times every few minutes.

- Freshen Up
"So long, showers!"
This is a pretty simple spell with limited usage, but Jannin finds it incredibly nice. He'd actually been working on it for a while, but never quite got it to a useful point. When cast, all filth on the target (usually the lad himself) is cleaned off, reappearing as something like a small ball before the target or a small ring on the ground around him/her/it. To tack on a few caveats...
If all or part of the target is submerged in something... sullying, let's say, those parts will not be affected (say someone's been swimming in the ocean and only their head is above water: their head will be cleaned, but nothing else will until it's cast on dry land). If the target is bleeding, any external blood not helping (with a clot, for instance) will be treated as filth, and the wounds will be cleaned, but not healed in any way, though repeated uses can reduce the appearance of scars. Jannin can specify parts of the target to be affected.
This spell isn't particularly tiring, though it does require a few seconds to recite the incantation.

History:

"Jannin!" a woman's voice called. "Yes, mom?" Jannin answered, pulling himself to his feet and turning to the voice's source. "Come in for dinner!" it came again. The young man nodded, despite the lack of eyes to see him, and closed his book of plots and spells. He would finish the idea for his 'Love-Powered Golem of DOOM!!' at a later time. He stretched his arms and legs a bit, and then began walking across the few hills that separated him from his home.

Not long after, he sat at the dinner table, his mother Sonya across from him, while his father Derrick and elder sister Jorina sat on his sides. Before him, part of a roasted water fowl lay upon his plate, prompting a bit of drool to drip down his chin. Knowing the yelling that he would face if he dug in before his father had said grace, he restrained himself while the middle-aged man thanked some almighty being for this and that.

"Amen," he said along with his family, and then began consuming the delectable bird. After several minutes, his father asked, "So, how was your day, son?"
"Oh, it was great. I'm really starting to get the hang of that Fireball spell now. Everybody in the school still thinks I'm weird and creepy, but the teacher said he was impressed with how it’s coming along. Even better is that the evil plans I've got in mind for unsealing some long lost power of the ancients and using the power of compassion to further the cause of devastation are really starting to take shape."
"Do you really have to say things like that?" his sister asked, rolling her eyes. "Why not?" he replied innocently, "Mom and Dad always taught us to tell the truth."
"What your sister means, dear, is that we worry about you," his mother clarified, while calmly cutting her food. "I mean, sure, the dark arts may seem glamorous and all, but, eventually, a handful of people with kind hearts and no clear direction in life are bound to come along and defeat you. It's a story as old as time itself."
"Your mother's right, Jannin," the father of the family piped up, pausing to take a sip from his glass of wine, "Why don't you give up on those dreams of world conquest via devious means and take up a reliable occupation. Like... accounting."
"Your father does make a good point," his mother agreed. "I've only heard of a few accountants being defeated by a handful of people with kind hearts and no clear direction in life."

"Hmm..." Jannin contemplated. "I don't think so. Accounting just seems so... excruciatingly drab. That's all."
"Oh," his sister chimed in, again rolling her eyes, "And world domination is sooo interesting..."
"Now that's enough, you two," their father said, frowning. "I'm willing to permit talk of these plans, but prompting your cynical teenage sister to make a sarcastic remark is something I won't stand for! Jannin, you have three days with none of the extra fluffy cushions!"
Jannin gasped; never had his father levied so strict a punishment against him. "But dad, I--"
"No buts, young man," the man interrupted sternly. "You're going to spend those three days thinking long and hard of ways to cleanse the evil from your mind."
"Now, dear," Sonya interjected, "Considering that 'good' and 'evil' are such relative and abstract concepts, I think that's too harsh." After a pause that seemed to be done solely for effect, she turned to her son and continued, "Jannin, you have four days without those cushions in which to grasp and adjust those concepts within your being."
As Jannin sat aghast, Jorina laughed and made a face at him. "Better make it six," Derrick said again. "I think that may have pushed you a little closer to the dark side."
As the boy's astonishment and annoyance continued to grow, his sister whined, "Oh, but daddy... One more and it'll stop being measured in days..."
"Alright, sweety," the mother said in a honeyed tone, "We'll make it a solid week."

Jannin's look of horror remained for a bit longer. "Alright, Mom, Dad, and Sis," he said, nodding. Swallowing the remainder of the meat, he asked them, "May I be excused?"
"Of course you can, son," the father said, cordially. "Just remember to stop plotting evil," his mother advised, speaking as though she were reminding him to take out the garbage. "And stay off the extra fluffy cushions," Jorina added, not bothering to look up. Jannin thanked them, and then went to his room, snagging some fruit from the kitchen.
Once in his chambers, he opened his bag and loaded into it the fruit, his book of plots and spells, and a few other essentials, namely his mirror, hairbrush and toothbrush. Satisfied, and with staff in hand, he hopped out of the window. He landed with a thud, and began walking down the path that would take him the hell away from there.

As it happened, he passed the window across from his sister as he went. She spied him and plainly told her parents, "I think Jannin's running away from home." Her mother turned and saw this to be true. "Ah," she said, "So he is." Derrick shrugged. "Oh, don't worry about it. He'll come back in a year or two." The remainder of the family nodded at this and continued their meal.

Jannin began humming a cheery tune as he walked away with no destination in mind. He briefly wondered if the level of insanity he had grown up with explained the way he acted, but stopped when he realized he didn't actually care.

---- Level 1 ----

After leaving home, Jannin went on a merry stroll for a few days, struggling to keep from getting bored. Eventually, his stomach began to nag him about how little food it had been given. Observing this squeaky wheel, his feet soon joined the protest. Luckily for both, the lad soon came to a tavern known as the Peaceful Promenade, where he satisfied both. As he enjoyed his remarkably spicy chicken, he carried on a brief conversation with a fellow wanderer who, to the boy's surprise, had never heard of him. After the man, named Grim, departed, Jannin decided to cast away the ignorance of everyone else in the area with a long-winded speech. Then off into the rain he ran.
A new face on a slow day - Page 1 (http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:1_YSnPYVV-MJ:www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php%3Ft%3D8749%26page%3D1+jannin+new+fa ce+on+a+slow+day&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4&client=firefox-a) - Page 2 (http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:MSNjam8ua2sJ:www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php%3Fgoto%3Dnewpost%26t%3D8749+jannin+ new+face+on+a+slow+day&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a)

After that, the boy remembers partaking in a number of incidents over the next few months. He recalls fighting a horde of giant insects called the Lakara with a girl named Asuka Yamihara (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?p=2723#post2723)... (Protect the Vineyard, incomplete - Page 1 (http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:2AS0dDuU1oYJ:www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php%3Fp%3D106387+jannin+asuka+protect+t he+vineyard&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=10&client=firefox-a) - Page 2 (http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:KECpmpMwP8kJ:www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php%3Fp%3D106923%26mode%3Dlinear+jannin +asuka+protect+the+vineyard&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3&client=firefox-a)) He remembers entering a talent show, with a vampiress (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=78), two kitsune (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=484), a great many talentless boobs, and a rather tall young man, all performing before a fetish-filled, deceased nobleman... He believes he once dove into an isolated fountain in a forest, following a large demon and a far smaller one (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=32)... Images of a pseudo-boar, inhabited by an entity known as Quietus, race through his mind and the streets of Radasanth as the boy's plot to defeat it takes form... One cannot say for sure how many are true, and how many are simply the products of a boy's overactive imagination. Nevertheless, the "memories" linger...

When the Serenti Invitational came along, Jannin jumped at the chance to prove his superiority to everyone. However, it was not to be; in round one, he squared off against Thoracis (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=131) in a snowy field. The boy put on as remarkable show as could be expected, given the general's experience and the kid's lack thereof. Since then, Jannin has put the ice mage on a pillar, considering him the only person worth his admiration and a worthy rival. He eagerly awaits the day when he will best the man. Should that day ever come, of course.

In the meantime, he heeded a tip made him by a random prophet and went looking for an artifact: the Box of Arod'Nap. In his search, he paid a visit to the kingdom of Falrenia, just as a little revolution was beginning. Bloodshed was prevented by a highly skilled geomancer, Luc Kraus (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=77), who agreed to help the peasants with their plight. Deciding to take advantage of this, Jannin followed. Unfortunately, he was scooped up by a... peculiar servant, Bruno, who mistook him for the prince. As they advanced into the throne room to find that a demon named Ter-Thok (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=32) had seized power, Bruno proved to be a terrible bodyguard and an albatross around the boy's neck. In a series of events that, in retrospect, makes little sense, the castle went berserk, and the real prince returned in time for Bruno to grab the actual royal, letting Jannin run off with his jeweled rapier. So, though the Box of Arod'Nap was not found, things ended rather well. The lad did become a tad nostalgic after the caper, though. He resolved to someday return home. Epic Adventure! (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=130)

Before that, however, he stopped off in the small Republic of Sereza to explore their famous library. He didn't spend long there, however, as an old man and his protege, Blank (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=489), showed up looking for him. After glancing over one spell and half of another, the old man, Alan, approached him, speaking of the Lornius Corporate Challenge. Using Thoracis and the child's ego, he baited Jannin into agreeing to be Blank's partner. After a few displays of skill, both young men agreed, and both set off for Lornius. A Day at the Library (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=746)

Their team, the Rookies, participated for only slightly longer than Jannin's time in the Serenti. Mainly because the younger lad showed up so early for the fight. They did battle, if one could call it that, with a crowd favorite to take the title: Strength & Honor, the union of Letho Ravenheart (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=85) and Zieg dil' Tulfried (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=37). After the bout, Jannin was a bit demoralized. Having faced off against the demon general, Zieg took his place in the lad's mind as another obstacle to be surmounted, below Thoracis, but higher than the boy. Time will tell if Jannin has many more luck with him. Strength and Honor vs. The Rookies (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=815)

Arawn
06-12-06, 08:02 PM
You're going to pun Hell. :D

Approved.