PDA

View Full Version : Jade Monolith

Taviri Ambria
06-13-06, 03:17 PM
(Closed to Ozmodious and Cyrus the Virus)

He walked down the roads his briefing echoing in his head. After returning from the Lornius Corporate Challenge he was more than happy to get to work on something real. Liliana forcing him to enter a tournament wasn’t sitting well with him, and when they asked what his delay was, he told the truth. However he had more important things on his mind as he moved forward down into what had been dubbed “The Dead Zone”.

For the past couple of weeks the animals of the area had been fleeing the zone, as if overnight they had become scared for their lives. While unusual it was no cause for alarm. No, the cause for alarm was when people seemed to enter this zone, and never come out. As he walked to the edge he stretched his sense forward and shivered slightly in response. Something definitely was there, what he couldn’t be sure of, but he knew something was doing it for certain.

His boots kicked up little dust, and to his amazement it seemed even the winds that had whipped at his trench coat had died upon entering the zone. A bit reluctantly he began to enter the dead zone as he sighed, trying to figure out how to deal with the threat. Fury, his staff was hidden up his sleeve, having learned a nice trick while in Lornius. Turning the stick into a full fledged staff mid-flight, while firing it at people tended to get their attention, and with the gauntlet mounted dart launcher he could shoot it with pretty good force.

He continued to walk forward as he was grateful he had the wide brimmed hat on to shade his eyes. Walking down the path as the sun bore down from overhead he continued to move forward in an effort to reach his goals he looked around carefully. Truly as had been reported there was nothing, no signs of life anywhere anymore as he moved in. He began to realize the gravity of the situation, without anything to eat, the people would run out of food in no time, and then, he shuddered to think of the consequences. He never wished his fate upon others, as his memories turned to perhaps the harshest three days of his life.

Still as he moved forward he remained at the ready before he spotted something on the road. It was a prone figure, and seemed to be unconscious. Carefully he moved up to it as he sighed. With his boot he gently prodded it, checking for any reactions. There was nothing, and so he knelt down carefully ready to fire Fury at a moment’s notice. As he turned the body over he sighed before he spoke softly, “Should have known…”

The body was dead.

Taviri Ambria
06-13-06, 03:17 PM
“Ex Xen Uus. Sanct Corp Jux,” He spoke as he preformed the last rites. Slinging the body over his shoulder he sighed as she shifted the weight upon his shoulders. He was heading for the village for a reason, and now he had it in spades. As he continued to walk he sighed, shaking his head slowly. This was truly a sign of something sinister, for people didn’t collapse randomly and die, not in the entire time he had been hunting. It usually required a bit of bleeding, maybe some spell craft, but ultimately bodies didn’t occur like this, especially not on someone seemingly so young.

He sighed as he continued to walk, making his way towards the town. He was probably a mile or two out from it now, and he could see people, many people. They seemed to gather at the edge of the town watching him as he made his way into their midst steadily and surely. His gate was deliberate, to show no signs of weakness as he hefted the body into a comfortable position. Keeping his head down he ignored their gazes upon him as he just walked, acting as if it wasn’t unusual to be carrying a dead body in a zone known for creating them apparently.

Soon he found himself at the edge of the town, and he raised his head to look at them. A few seemed intrigued; a few seemed to be ribbing each other eyeing the newcomer. Still more seemed hostile towards the intruder as the show of knives and swords would show. Carefully he removed the body from off his shoulders as he said, “I came to help, nothing more, nothing less…”

“Yeah, Help, that’s what you guys call it. I’m sure you’re going to be able to do nothing, just like every other god damned adventurer that takes the food from our mouths…” One man said growling. A few murmurs of agreement rained through the crowd as the man walked forward stretching his arm out to Taviri, “What say you guys? This man looks just like every other dime a dozen adventurer. He thinks he can help, and what authority does he come form? His own heart? No, he’s just another greedy man, who will realize there is no escape!”

Cries began to form before Taviri held up a finger. He then spoke his voice loud and booming, “My name is Paladin Taviri Ambria of the Seraphs of Sintyre. I am a Demon Hunter who has been sent in order to help you folks, since we think this may have to do with just that, a demon. I promise you if I don’t have answers within two days, I will walk out of here, regardless the consequences.”

The crowd turned to their bold leader who turned with a smirk and said, “Two days? We’ll give you one. Twenty-four hours to figure out what happened, then we’ll kill you and toss your body out for ever other would be adventurer to find….”

“I accept,” Taviri said.

The man seemed genuinely pleased with those words as he said, “Well folks, let’s show him the sites of our wonderful small town…”

Cyrus the virus
06-13-06, 05:25 PM
Luc could feel the strange emnations from the massive stone, the unusual tugging and tiring feeling that the gem seemed to radiate. It wasn't his sense of magic that helped him detect it, as even the faintest ability to feel the earth had left him when he got before the stone, but just his humanity. This was the feeling all who approached the green object felt, the sapping sensation.

"I've never seen anything like this before," Luc mumbled to the two men by his side. They'd brought him to the massive jewel when he'd first arrived, hoping the mage would have some magic that could counter the enchanting jade. "It's almost frightening. I can feel it draining something from inside me."

"Yeah, we know what it does. How do we stop it?" Said the man to his left, a tall soldier with shallow features and dark hair. Luc looked at him impatiently, but the man's angry expression stuck. "We all feel that sick draining feeling, you're here to tell us something new, how to stop it!"

Luc couldn't be surprised by the man's anger. The whole town was bleak and depressing, no excitement to be found anywhere. Each and every person Luc encountered seemed to be on edge, ready to snap and attack the nearest person.

"Can you break it?" Luc asked.

The same man looked at him, completely baffled by the mage's idiotic question. Furiously he drew his sword, and before Luc could react, slashed it against the gem's surface. The sword bounced off harmlessly, as if the man had tried to pierce stone. "Don't you think we've tried that already? It's not like a gem, no matter what it looks like. It's more like a rock, a big, evil, fucking rock."

Luc would have felt stupid if he had any respect for the man, but he truly didn't. "Sorry I can't help," he said. "I'll be on my way then. Perhaps long exposure to the gem is what's killing your people. If that's the case, I suggest you all leave."

Said the first man, "we can't leave. I think it's leaving that kills us."

The mage turned to him quickly. "What? What kind of a joke is this?"

"Relax," the second man said, moving to stand alongside his companion. "He's only speculating. None of us know why people are dying or what the gem does."

Luc wanted to leave, but his experience with Seth was not far behind him. He was curious about the strange magic the gem seemed to possess, and why it was able to supress his own ability to detect magic.

Ozmodious
06-19-06, 12:39 PM
"When looking for a needle in a haystack, get a magnet." - Jabu Sep's 101 Ways To Win A Bet

--------------------------------------

--One Month Ago--

"Grux!", a worn, high-pitched shrill sounded out through the massive laboratory that was deemed the headquarters of Research & Development. A plod of footsteps thundered up the adobe staircase, a heavy savage grunt rumbled with each step, its burden growing more and more cumbersome by the second. Standing at the edge of his office, a pair of shears gripped in his bluish-green hand the biomancer rolled his eyes as he watched the one known as 'Grux' pass through the threshold carrying a massive crate upon his back. Watching the mutant turn on his heel and crouch on all fours in the direction of the scientist, Madij glanced at his wrist and nodded," That'll do it for today."

Strolling over to the massive hulk bearing its burden, the goblin raised the shears towards the iron cables that fastened the crate to the mutant's back and pressed down with a menacing snip that rippled through the office. As the metal cords snapped and the heavy crate crashed onto the floor with a thundering thud, the premier turned to face the sea of faces that were his colleagues and underlings. Spreading his hand wide with a grin on his face the goblin addressed his opponents," Two minutes and thirty seconds, I guess I win again. Now all of you pay up and get back to work!”

A loud groan and roar of defeat resounded throughout the laboratory as every lab assistant, project director, even test subject reached for their coin they had wagered against their malevolent boss in the hopes of finally showing the lunatic a thing or two about humility. Flooding out of the room with threats of vengeance upon the premier, Madij Abarrik stood gleefully balanced with one arm on the humongous pair of sheers with his other hand extended towards the large, patched sack by the doorway ringing with the clinks of coin after coin being dropped into its custody. As the last unfortunate laboratory hand crossed the threshold the oak paneled door was slammed forebodingly shut. Shaking his head the goblin cackled victoriously as he strolled over to the sack of spoils and lugged it over to his desk for examination. Throwing himself into a plush brown chair that was a size too big for the biomancer, he snickered mischievously as he poured the coins out onto the hard oak desk that served for many a purpose.

Picking up a gold coin and holding it momentarily to his keen eye, the premier placed it between his greenish-yellow teeth and bit down greedily on his earnings. Spitting the coin out onto the desk he sneered at the mutant who was still sprawled out on the floor, chest heaving," I would've never won if that case of Pseudoism hadn't magically 'disappeared' from the laboratory a few weeks ago and I hadn't called in a few favors. . Hah! I hope Jaselb and the others know if they even mention a word of this to anyone I'll have you rip them limb from limb."

Like any crony or henchmen, Grux picked himself slowly off the floor and nodded, his mental response was followed by a loud grunt. Despite being connected to the madman's mind, the mutant had never uttered a legible word that anyone but his master understood after the Lobotomy Fiasco years back. Pulling a drawer absent-mindedly the goblin brandished an ugly mossy ball the mutant had grown to love and cherish. Tossing the ball high into the air with either hand the goblin watched amusingly as the creature's eyes followed its prize with every move. Holding the ball as far back in his seat as the goblin could muster, he hurled it towards the edge of the wall-less office.

Watching his prize soar over the protection of the office the mutant turned on its heel and leaped off the side of the platform out of his master's sight and following with a loud crash that caused even the premier to cringe. Scooping the coins back into the bag the goblin shook his head laughing," He never was the brightest. . ". Tucking the bag of coins safely at the side of the pouch of Karbiz the mage glanced in either direction to see if he was truly alone. Tapping under his desk thrice, a secret panel revealed itself from the center of the desk and a large, leaded tube shot out of the opening only to be caught by the premier like a wayward fisherman.

Plucking the top of the tube away, Madij tipped the contents into his open hand. Spreading the worn parchment over the expanse of his desk, with the compartment sealing itself shut once more, he examined his secret carefully. Pulling a piece of charcoal from his pocket the goblin snapped his fingers and a bulbed plant that sat on the edge of his desk flashed with life. Under the dull yellow light the creature scratched the side of his fleshy head, reminiscent of his current task and a smile spread across his face," Now, now. . Where was I?”

Taviri Ambria
06-26-06, 01:51 PM
Despite the rather hostile welcome Taviri was already beginning to piece a few things together. Others had come to help, only to waste the meager resources afforded to them. While normally this wouldn’t be a problem, when traders couldn't get back out, it put a limit on who was willing to enter such a place. The consequences were then that every scrap of food not eaten, would keep someone alive until something could be done.

As he walked into the city his eyes locked on the monolith. The jade crystals seemed to radiate a sinister energy, and upon reaching out with his senses, he found what he feared was true, it was. The energy was very much like the Demons of Sintyre he hunted. The problem however was this, he couldn't sense anything else. So overbearing was the monolith's presence it was like trying to sense the light of a candle inside a sun. Someone of far finer control over their sense could, but for Taviri, it would be next to impossible to figure out if this was isolated, or part of a more sinister strategy.

The man who had become the town leader spoke, his voice harsh and grating, "Take a look at the Jade Monolith. See how it stands tall, ready to forever screw us over? Anyone who leaves here is a dead man, and we have no idea why, so tell us oh great Hunter, what is it, what does it do?"

Reaching into his pack produced a small book, the Seraphs of Sintyre Tome of Demons. It recounted the entire Demon Wars, and that was the part he needed. Reading a few passages he sighed realizing he didn't know where he had seen a description of this thing, and snapped the book shut. So he spoke trying to sound confident, "I think its something form Sintyre, what exactly I would have to check when I have more time..."

The man smiled devilishly as he spoke, "Spoken like a true time waster. You give us vague hints as to what you think it is, then when you fail to deliver on your promise you "need more time". Twenty four Hours Paladin. Twenty fours hours..."

Taviri already knew he wasn't going to like this man. So he spoke curtly to him, "Perhaps if you're done jeering I can do my job in peace...."

The townsfolk merely walked back to their duties, clutching to their daily lives in an effort to try and maintain some sense of Hope. As he looked at the Monolith he stepped forward and reached out, touching the crystal before he shuddered and jerked a hand back, hearing screams and screeches upon doing so. Shaking his head he slowly pulled down his glasses as he looked at it and widened his eyes.

His true sight was never known to exaggerate, and that was why it truly baffled him to see so much swirling energy around this thing. Where the monolith had before glowed a bright green, the energy that radiated from the crystals was a pure white, the energy bordering on a ghostly quality as it swirled around the crystal. It seemed to always leave the tip alone, as if waiting for something. Gritting his teeth he pushed his glasses back on the bridge of his nose as he vowed never to let it do its purpose.

Whatever that purpose was...

Cyrus the virus
06-26-06, 02:23 PM
Luc spent the remainder of the hour contemplating the gem, the energy it radiated and the energy's effect. He was beginning to get irritated at every little thing, from the creases in his pants to the way his hair sometimes tickled his nose. Normally such things were in the back of his mind, but today he found himself obsessing over them, almost squirming in anger every time his hair fell across his forehead.

"Is this the gem's work?" He wondered, taking notice of his impatient state. "How interesting, that it can manipulate even me, though I know these feelings are being manipulated. How can such a jewel be crafted? What powerful magic this must be."

Of course he was talking to himself now, having made his way to a tall grey building and flew up to it's highest rise. Luc's legs dangled over the edge, but he was not afraid of falling. He was more worried about this magic, and whether or not the effects would worsen and start to change him even more.

"They said it's not possible to leave. Could the gem somehow bind itself to one's essence or life?"

There were so many possibilities that Luc didn't know where to start looking. Besides all the confusion going on in his head, the mage couldn't help but enjoy the thoughts. He felt he could learn a lot more about the magics of Althanas if he continued to search them out and research. That fateful encounted with Seth had done some good for him, it seemed. Luc owed him some thanks.

Luc pushed himself from the building and fell into flight, the wind catching his falling body and pulling him away from the gem. Just as he suspected, Luc began to feel weak, as if some part of his inside power was leaving him. He turned back, and found the feeling returning as he made his way somewhat closer to where the gem was. He landed on the ground.

"Unbelievable," he muttered, unsure of just how he was going to get himself out of this.

Taviri Ambria
07-02-06, 12:22 AM
Taviri sighed as he continued to investigate the Jade monolith. As he sighed in frustration he saw a peculiar thing, a man began flying about before he came back to earth. Taviri knew the markings of a sorcerer when he saw one, and so he moved over to the man before he spoke in a business like tone, "I see you're also checking this out, perhaps if we compare notes we can figure out this puzzle..."

He then offered his hand as he continued to speak, "But my manners escape me, I am Paladin Taviri Ambria of the Seraphs of Sintyre. I was sent to figure out what’s causing the dead zone, and to eliminate it if possible." He then looked back at the crystal before he continued, "Seems my works been cut out for me."

He then smiled as he looked about the village. The smile slowly left his face as he saw the bleak atmosphere about the village, and everything within it. People moved about hollowly, almost as if shambling to their deaths. Children would simply hide in houses and whisper, pointing at the monolith as it glowed then dimmed. What little livestock there was seemed to avoid going anywhere near the monolith if at all possible. It was as if this simple stone structure had effaced all sense of normalcy from the village and rightfully so.

Slowly dropping his hand he sighed as he said more to himself, "Yeah, just like home..." Memories of his village after Amiya had slain every adult came to mind. The way she had done so cruelly and viciously. She twisted their pleas for mercy into some sick joke, and laughing louder. She never killed the children; no she never touched them, forcing them to fend for themselves. This was all too similar, a sick and twisted game of survival where the people in the village were slowly forced to either give up, or continue playing.

Looking at Luc again he said, "Do you know of any place for me to sit down for a moment? I feel the need to consult my book, and standing can be tiresome..."

Ozmodious
07-11-06, 11:53 AM
--Three Weeks Ago--

"Madij! Get over here!” barked the premier of the R & D, his eyes alight with anger as he gazed down from his window. A dull haze of nostalgia covered the entire laboratory as if deja vu had run rampant across the entire scape of the goblin's world. Old mechanical light fixtures hung from the domed chrome plated ceiling. Various isolation chambers meant to keep experiments sterilized and completely cut off from the outside world lined either wall of the huge room. Sitting in the center of the room a massive spire that ended in a wide circular platform was the premier-in-chief's office. Lab assistants and project directors actually stood side by side and worked together, a test subject's cry was a notch below agony. Experiments no longer ran rampant across the laboratory, only a select few had the writs and papers to walk about in public. Even then they were escorted by selected and armed laboratory hands.

Seated at a table fiddling with an instrument, the goblin's head snapped up to attention and dropped his current project to the floor. Standing immediately, the biomancer looked about as if in realization to where he was and to who was giving the orders. Holding out his hands to meet his gaze, Madij gasped at the jungle green skin tone he once had, as well as the standard laboratory assistant outfit he hadn't worn in years. Questions filled the mage's mind as he looked up from his former self to the rest of the laboratory. From the many creatures who came from all over Althanas to become part of the elite Cabal, to the controlled experiments who tried so diligently to utter cries for help through sound proof glass.

"Madij! I will not ask again! Get your mangy ass in here! Now!" A familiar voice roared over the laboratory. Looking slowly up to the direction of the order, the goblin tried to figure out who it was who would dare order him about. But with all the bravado he had mustered over the years, all of the self-induced madness that continued plague him even to this day evaporated in an instant when his gaze met that of a dead man.

Standing at least six feet and five inches from the ground, the lanky Polapat Frig stood by his window, draped in the robes of a Premier, his same old leathery face holding the same stoic expression. Holding onto the rails secured behind the glass orb that encased the platform, the late premier roared over the laboratory a third time, but only upon deaf ears. Gazing in horror at who he had known was dead, at the man who was his mentor, who taught the goblin everything he knew. Rushing to the staircase Madij shouted," Right away, Premier Frig!".

Dashing up the cold metal spiral staircase, Madij's thoughts buzzed about as his augmented brain tried to process what he was doing. But as each step got him closer to his former master, the goblin felt as if it was one step farther away from who he was. Up, up, up the goblin ran from the twists and curves of the staircase until he faced the solid steel door that served as a barrier from the outside world into the realm that was Polapat Frig's. Brushing his hand against the metallic grain of the door, the goblin was saturated with memories from this door alone.

Gripping the copper knob, the biomancer slowly twisted it and pushed the door from its duty to reveal the office of his mentor. Sitting at the edge of the office was the familiar oaken desk, with the same plush chair Madij came to love over the years. Mossy creatures ran rampant through Polapat's office, the patented 'Breuga Men', that the premier had used so very much. Each ran about with their own tasks from running into the tubes that led to every part of the citadel, to writing status reports with custom made utensils. The premier himself paced around a device the curiously resembled a massive version of a bird bath. Strange bluish goo bubbled and churned as voices spoke both forwards and backwards, demanding things from the premier, voicing opinions of his previous experiments, even asking him if he would come to the surface for press conferences.

Polapat answered in kind, his voice full of command and hollow at the same time. It was a wonder this constant attention didn't drive him mad, but as the premier nodded with appreciation at an offer of dinner, he stood stock still as the goblin entered the office. With a wave of his hand the bubbling pool of goo instantly congealed. The voices ceased and only the pitter-patter of the Breuga could be heard about the office. Slowly turning towards the goblin, Polapat's hand swept forward to a chair by his desk," Have a seat, Madij."

Slowly creeping to the chair, the goblin stood at attention until the premier had taken his seat. Staring deep into the black hypnotizing pools that were Polapat's eyes, the goblin felt as if he stood on a knife's edge as he waited agonizingly for what would happen next. As the premier shuffled papers about and cleared his desk, and pulled a familiar device from a drawer and sat it at the center of the desk. Folding arms together Polapat sat back in his seat and raised a leathery eyebrow," Care to tell me what this is, Madij?".

Blinking at the question, the goblin was about to mull over what exactly it was he was staring at when his mouth retorted," Pseudo flesh, sir". Gasping at his response the goblin cupped his hands over his mouth and gazed in horror at the premier, his expression unchanged.

"Psuedo flesh," Polapat repeated diligently. Removing the cover from the container the premier leaned in to look at it more closely," What exactly does this 'pseudo flesh' do, Madij?".

Removing his hands from his mouth, the goblin gaped in awe as memory washed over him. "This conversation, this. . this entire place. . I remember it, I remember it!", the goblin muttered aloud.

"Excuse me?", Polapat said with a tone of curiosity, his eyes alight once more as he tried to understand what exactly it was his laboratory assistant was blabbering about," What are you bumbling on about, Madij?".

Returning to reality, Madij repeated what he had said years ago on that one fateful day," Pseudo flesh is the turn of the century, sir. It mimics the features of someone and can replicate it entirely. It has various uses from disguise for spies to the potential of organ implants. Sir, this is the way of the future!”

Gazing down at the bubbling gray 'flesh' and back to his assistant, the premier began to laugh and smacked the desk as he sat back in his chair," 'Way of the future'! Hah! I knew you were good, Madij, I knew it the moment you tested your augmentations for the first time. You’re a genius! I'll see if I can get some sponsors to fund the research of this 'Pseudo flesh'. If we're lucky it'll be patented in a couple years. . ".

Droning on Polapat's voice began to spiral and echo as if being heard down a large tunnel. The goblin strained to hear what exactly it was he was listening to when a white flash over took the room. And then there was nothing but darkness.

Twitching in his sleep the goblin muttered incoherently to himself as he wiped drool from his mouth. Lying in a bed fit for a person three times his size, the goblin tossed and turned as his trip down memory lane coiled into a nightmare. On the edge of his teal ear seeped a blue, sterile liquid that served as the cushion between the premier's brain and the glass dome that surrounded it. Tugging at his ear something scuttered forth, something the size of a microscopic pea. A white sickly glow the thing gaze off as it slid down the goo towards the cheek of it's master.

Out of nowhere a small tube scooped the goo and creature into its domain. Slowly a cork came down upon the tube and squeaked as it shut the creature from the outside world. Shaking it slowly to see the white glow flicker in the goop, a gloved hand placed it within a pocket under its ashen cloak. Patting the pocket softly, the hand rose to pull the hem of the hood further over its owner's face, shadowing it completely.

Walking slowly across the room towards the door, passing the sleeping form of Grux who made a bed out of a massive cushion, the figure stepped lightly. Fleeting past devices that only the current premier could pass off as genius, the cloaked man gripped the knob of the wooden door and pulled it open. Taking one last glance at his former protégé, the man whispered," Sweet dreams". Turning to the darkness outside the stranger caught a glance of himself, of a face he didn't know, of a body that didn't belong to him.