PDA

View Full Version : It's that niggling feeling,

Moonbird
04-21-08, 02:35 PM
I've got everything planned out. I have a quest idea that I rather like, involving a suicidal bartender and a hysterical mother, I've got an approved character - wahey! - I've got a good intro post, but I've just realised that I have absolutely no idea how quests are run here.

Are they just like standard roleplays? Each joiner has a share in the plotline, controlling it a little? So if I joined a roleplay, I could start a small battle with an NPC myself, without the game master having to start it?

Or are they more like controlled quests? Do you have to have a strict plotline, and does the game master control everything; who wins the fights, what happens, the NPC's replies, etcetera etcetera etctetera.

If I joined a roleplay, would I have to make those ambiguous fighting posts 'he aimed a punch at the side of his head' and then wait for the game master to post whether or not it connected, or could I just roleplay the hell out of the bastard?

I'm sorry if I've missed a post that detailed this already, I have read all the FAQs, several quests and scanned a few pages back of this forum to see if this has been asked before.

Thanks to all...I'm so sorry if I appear stupid, I probably have just failed to register something important, but I really don't know what to do. Kudos to anyone who bothers to answer me.

Karuka
04-21-08, 02:50 PM
Every quest is a little different. In some, the QM wants to have a plotline and keep it very strict, with everyone else given their roles or selected for how well the character fits.

Others start out as "hey, I have a vague idea, let's go and have fun," in which case the whole thing is very loose.

grim137
04-21-08, 02:54 PM
It ultimately depends on the GM though typically if a quest is your garden variety, open to anybody at anytime, type quest then its safe to assume that the GM isn't going to be terribly strict. With closed quests it varies, but usually with them the players involved will keep in contact with each other. Its generally assumed that the GM has final say in all decisions in regards to the plots and NPCs (espescially those created by them) and rather or not your allowed to introduce your own plots, subplots or NPCs into the storyline is up the to the GM.

In regards to questions about NPCs it generally assumed that your run of the mill cannon fodder (nameless guards, goblins, thugs, ect.) yeah your allowed to kill them though I've seen some GMs be strict about this, though they'll usually let you know if they are. With important NPCs in the storyline, GMs will usually tell you if and how your allowed/they want you to use them.

If you have any questions, concerns or ideas regarding the quest you can always send a quick PM or IM to the GM.

Logan
04-21-08, 02:57 PM
In other words, quests are run however the person directing them chooses to run them. If you desire to make it the most unique quest to Althanas ever and only have one cameo appearance by your own character, by all means, I seriously doubt anyone -- moderator or otherwise -- will stop you. With that said we do have a guideline for how we judge and what criteria we judge by. It can be found under the Rules link and the subsequent Rubric link.

It's not so much about the IC game here as it is the OOC quality of the writing.

If you have the idea, I strongly suggest you discuss it with one or two people and see if they can give you some direction on what to do with it -- however, with your mention of the suicidal bartender, I would say to just go for it and start the quest on your own and leave it open for others to join. This way you may better control the flow and the direction, and anyone else who joins can choose to follow your direction or make up their own. Keep in mind, however, that most quests don't have a "typical" QM/GM, each player is their own master in most quests. As such, just do whatever you are comfortable with and see what comes out.

I know I basically didn't answer your question per se, but I also know you are intelligent and can figure out what I mean by what I've typed.

Moonbird
04-21-08, 03:12 PM
Thank you so much. I understand perfectly what you mean, Logan, you made yourself very clear, no worries! I understand much better now, everyone. I'm very grateful to you all. I shall now endeavour to post up the intro, and, hopefully, persuade some people to join...would Scara Brae be appropriate? It is my first quest, after all, and that place seems to be extremely rookie-oriented; or if I wanted more serious members, would another setting be correct?

ooh, and I couldn't help noticing that the banner at the top of the Dark skin uses my absolute favourite picture by blackeri, yay!

Moonbird
04-21-08, 03:17 PM
Oh, waitwaitwait, another quiiiick question; are we allowed to post images inside the threads, if they don't stretch the forum? I was thinking of starting a Graphics thread in the creativewhatsit forum, and I generally use images in my quests as titles/illustrations or whatever.

Karuka
04-21-08, 03:20 PM
there generally aren't images in quests, but if you want to start something in the Creative Endeavors forum, you're welcome to post images.

Moonbird
04-21-08, 03:20 PM
Awesome, cheers.

grim137
04-21-08, 03:23 PM
Technically there are no rules that say you can't have images in a quest, its just that as far as I know, nobody has done it before, so there's no reason why you couldn't do something like that.

Godhand
04-21-08, 03:28 PM
It's funny you should mention images in quests. I always wanted to figure out a way where you could click on a little button and listen to a song I picked out for each post that sort of fits the mood. I always thought that'd be great.

Zook Murnig
04-21-08, 03:31 PM
Personally, I've considered using a few images in my quests, but I wouldn't expect it to count towards my score. As a judge, I'd say that an image that illustrates a place, person, or detail in your thread would not count towards your Setting score, but if it contradicted what was described in your writing that it would count against Setting, and possibly Clarity.

If you're going to use an image, make sure that it fits absolutely. And make sure that it'll be available at least until the thread gets judged, if it's on a site that you don't control.

Moonbird
04-21-08, 03:39 PM
Betcha could.

If you hosted the songfile on a random website, had a little image with 'Play Music' on it or whatever, and then URL'd it so that when you clicked on it, it opened the song page up...you could do it.

Need a bit of figuring out with hosting though. Jukebox site, maybe?

Moonbird
04-21-08, 03:40 PM
And I wouldn't expect it to contribute to the score. I prefer to describe things properly, not use images; they would be more for things like symbols and maps, that I couldn't describe completely accurately and easily with words. Just for ease-of-reference.

grim137
04-21-08, 03:42 PM
Betcha could.

If you hosted the songfile on a random website, had a little image with 'Play Music' on it or whatever, and then URL'd it so that when you clicked on it, it opened the song page up...you could do it.

Need a bit of figuring out with hosting though. Jukebox site, maybe?

Or you could just find the song on youtube, dailymotion, or some other such site and provide a link to it.

Moonbird
04-21-08, 03:45 PM
Ah yes. That's true.

Godhand
04-21-08, 03:46 PM
I'm simple. I like the aesthetic quality of a button more than a link.

grim137
04-21-08, 03:49 PM
You make the bottons as an image and add them via img tags. You then use url tags to attach the appropriate links to the buttons.

Moonbird
04-21-08, 03:49 PM
I agree. Looks much more professional and sleek than 'click here for song :) '

Serilliant
04-22-08, 01:38 AM
You can also upload images from within the new post dialogue. Images displayed this way will always be available.

Cyrus the virus
04-22-08, 02:47 AM
Hey, also, if you want people to join your quest, make an OOC (out of character) thread about it in the Roleplayer's Corner. Just posting a thread and stating it's open is generally not enough. Yo.