PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Geometries

A Nony Mouse
04-25-08, 08:43 PM
Closed to Teric and Tsukiko
Follows the events of Hunting and Gathering (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?p=110318)

“Welcome to Dheathain,” the ferryman droned as he tied off the small boat to the dock. “Watch your step.” Travis leapt nimbly from the leaky craft and took a deep breath of the salty air. It was good to be on solid land again. Lately he had been doing far too much traveling; after journeying with Tsukiko weeks ago, he had returned to Corone to visit the bazaar. The Citadel had also distracted him from returning for a time, but now that his business in Corone was finished, it was time to find his friend once again.

“Now where would she be?” he muttered to himself as he struck out toward the Crystal Square. Fae citizens of the city floated and walked all around him, giving him the feeling that he was in a veritable sea of diminutive fairies. The dome-topped buildings near the edge of Donnalaich reflected the midday sun glaringly. Crystals gleamed in abundance in all of the city’s architecture, dazzling the traveler with their radiance.

The scent of flowers drifted to Travis’ nostrils on the warm breeze and he inhaled deeply as he wove his way through the crowds. As he entered the city proper, he saw stand after stand of vendors selling various blooms. Hence the smell, he smiled as he noticed small fae and human children gazing longingly at the multicolored petals.

Walking up to the nearest merchant, he waited by her counter of lilies until it was his turn to order. “How much for a small bouquet?” he inquired, hoping the price was reasonable.

“How does… twenty gold pieces for half a dozen blooms sound?” she bartered. The adventurer nodded and fished out the required amount before taking the bouquet in his hand. After thanking the amiable woman, he turned to see a small girls staring up at the lilies that he held.

“Mommy,” she whispered to the woman whose hand she clutched tightly. “Can I have a flower?”

The woman leaned down and ran her fingers through her daughter’s hair, “Cupcake, we just came to look, remember? Mommy can’t buy you anything until Daddy sells a sculpture. Just smell the pretty flowers; don’t touch.” As the girl skipped off to look at another stand, her worries forgotten, the mother watched her with sadness written across her features. Travis watched the scene and felt his own spirits sink as he realized the girl’s family couldn’t afford impractical purchases like flowers.

“Ma’am,” he interrupted, startling the woman from her pensive reverie. “Have my flowers.”

“Oh no,” she answered, shaking her head and setting her thin lips in a frown, “I could never.”

“Please,” he insisted. “I don’t even like lilies. Take them? For your daughter?”

The proud woman hesitated another moment before reaching out and grasping the stems he offered. A single tear slid down her cheek and her face showed immense relief. ‘Thank you,’ she mouthed, too overcome to form words.

Travis watched as the mother went over to her daughter and presented her with the flowers. Pure joy lit the young girl’s countenance and the traveler felt glad to have been a part of brightening her day. Turning, he made his way through the rest of the flower festival toward the waterfall at the end of the square. He had no idea how he would find Tsukiko, but someone had to have seen the kitsune; she likely stood out among a city of fae.

Tsukiko
04-26-08, 06:50 PM
The festival might not have been the best place to meet. Sure it was very fun. There were Fae everywhere and the sounds of music and laughter showed that everyone was having a good time. The Donnalaich was so pretty with all the blossoms everywhere. In fact I sometimes felt that if the place was even more colorful, I’d go into overload.

But the problem was that with all the little fae everywhere and the ruckus had confused me and I was lost. I really wished that I knew where I needed to be so then I could wait and join the festivities. The dancing looked very fun even though most of the dancers could fly and I could not dance in the form of a bird. Still I had to find Travis.

I wandered a bit until I saw a flower merchant with several Fae girls huddling around. It was like watching children even though they were ancient folks. But their features were child like and they were fun loving yet they possessed great wisdom. At least being surrounded by them made me feel more like a woman.

“Well, I’m only going to get myself more lost if I keep wandering about.” I told myself and went up to the merchant. “Hey can I have a flower for my hair?”

The fae boy smiled as he fluttered his wings like an excited moth. “Sure miss, three gold. How about a nice red one.”

Well red was an obvious color for me. I had red eyes, red hair and wore a red kimono. “How about a blue one. Something different.” I was bored of red. At least the swimsuit that was being made was not going to be red. “Thanks.” Handed him the coin and took a pretty blue flower with long pedals and three pollen tendrils.

I smiled as I tucked the flower above my right fox ear. It was a nice contrast in all the red and having a flower in my hair made me feel more a part of the festivities. I once started looking again for the human boy with a lighter heart.

And sometimes a lighter heart improves luck, Travis was there. I ran up to him waving. “Hey Trav!” I called out while running and half dancing to avoid fae that were being as reckless and me.

“Finally I found you.” I swished my two tails and grinned. “This place is really hard to get around with a crowd like this. So what did you need me for. Got an adventure planned?” I had a feeling that Travis needed me for an extra blade. I was quite glad that he was impressed with me on my last adventure enough to adventure with me again.

((OOC note: I'm playing Tsu with her second tail but will not utilize the improved magic until the thread where she gets her second tail is completed and judged. The second tail will only be Aesthetic until then))

Bloodrose
04-28-08, 10:39 AM
How long has it been since I've set foot in Dheathain? Teric asked himself as he stepped off the ferry and onto the wharf in Donnalaich. Ten years at least. Not since I used to run with Iron-Fist Company... No, that's not right. The veteran paused on the end of the wharf as he furrowed his brow and thought about his past adventures for another moment or so. Jeez, it was more like twenty years ago. Teric suddenly found himself feeling incredibly old, despite his recent return to a youthful vigor.

"Oh well." The mercenary shook his head dismissively and set off from the ferry into the city proper. Donnalaich was a great deal bigger than Teric remembered it being; there was a lot more development in either direction, and the center of the city appeared to have grown 'upwards', blocking a lot of the view Teric could remember of the mountains beyond on the horizon. All of it was familiar, and yet not, to the fighter as he navigated the streets towards 173 Belling Avenue.

This ought to prove interesting. Teric kept himself occupied as he walked by thinking of the money he was about to make. A week ago a messenger had delivered to The Company a missive inquiring about "hired help" to deal with a "certain problem". From the bulk of the letter Teric had deciphered that the "certain problem" was a concern about pirates that had begun operating in the seas just off the coast of Dheathain. With increased trade came increased interest from pirate groups, and while Donnalaich's governing body employed naval vessels to patrol its country's waters, certain individuals were starting to take the matters of security into their own hands...

...Well, putting that security into my hands, really. Teric smiled. The type of business men wealthy enough to operate their own shipping lines generally weren't stingy about protecting their investments, and the old mercenary was eager to see if he couldn't allay his future employer's fears and work out some sort of contract between the Company and the shippers.

A Nony Mouse
04-28-08, 11:29 AM
After meeting Tsukiko in the midst of the flower festival, Travis had suggested that they start their journey and discuss things on the way. The kitsune had been happy to join him; the pair had created quite a bond of friendship on their last quest through the wilderness of Dheathain. As they walked, the red-haired adventurer finished explaining his plan to Tsukiko, “So I figure we find the Mearog, slay it, and then harvest what I need from it for my Synth Shop list. Then we can work on gathering some of the stuff nearby that we both need before returning here. Sounds good?”

Travis had learned that the wyvern they were hunting prowled about in the Neamh Mountains, not too far from their location. The trip to the beast’s lair would be short, but he doubted that the battle to follow would be the same. From what he could gather, Mearogs were huge and easily angered; never a good combination.

The adventurer glanced over at his traveling companion, really seeing her for the first time again. When they had met in the square, he had been too busy trying to leave that he hadn’t even noticed her second tail. His eyebrow rose quizzically as he pointed to the tail and asked, “How did that happen?”

Tsukiko
04-30-08, 10:10 PM
Sadly there wasn’t going to be any more enjoyment of the festival. The flower I wore in my hair was really the only thing I got from it. There wasn’t going to be dancing and there wasn’t going to be sitting and enjoying the flowers. Travis wanted to get to the dragonkin as soon as he could.

The explanation was a little worrisome. The wyvern seemed like he was much tougher than the Faoi that we faced on our last adventure. This monster wasn’t going to hide in the water like the Faoi. But maybe we might do better. We’d be facing this beast on the ground and won’t have to worry about swimming.

Sadly Travis was in a rush so we quickly dodged past the crowds and out into the forests of Dheathain on our trek to the mountains. Compared to the festival the forest was quiet but thankfully the birds were out singing. Nothing dangerous was about.

Also thankfully we were able to slow down outside and able to enjoy each other’s company without a throng of fae in the way. Though one thing that my friend did had made me blush. He had looked at my tails and asked about them. He might have as well as asked if my breasts had grown larger. They both seemed to require looking at places that men should not stare at.

“Well . . . ” I paused as I explained. Travis was a friend and it really wasn’t like he was being too nosy. Having an extra tail is really noticeable. I had to learn to trust my friends more. He was not a pervert that would stare at a girl’s butt. “While I was back home with mom, it kinda grew in. Kitsune tend to have more than one tail. It’s a sign of growing up. Mom has nine tail so two really aren’t that many.” I smiled, happy with the explanation.

“So what have you been up to while we were apart?” I asked in hopes of turning the tables and find out what he was up to.

Bloodrose
05-02-08, 09:31 AM
Teric less knocked and more slapped on the door with an open palm, the deep thudding sound reverberating through the wood of the door to alert all inside that someone was seeking entry. The three storied home on Belling Ave. was similar to many of the newer constructions up and down the street; cookie cutter mansions to accommodate the quickly rising nobility of a city growing by leaps and bounds in trade. It was a story as old as commerce itself, and it didn't take a trained eye to see that Donnalaich was walking briskly down the same economic path as more established cities like Radasanth and Knife's Edge: The rich would keep getting richer, and everyone else would stumble along behind them...

Come’ on. Teric was eager to get down to business, but no one was answering the door. In a house the size of this one, it wouldn't have been unheard of for those inside to miss his knocking - should they happen to all be gathered on the top floor. As if wondering just that, the veteran stepped backwards into the street a few paces and gazed upwards at the single round window overlooking the street. He hoped to catch sight of someone, but all he could see from this angle was the elegantly paneled ceiling.

"Rats." The old mercenary sighed, still hoping someone would come down and open the door. If he had absolutely wanted to, Teric could have easily broken the door's locking mechanism and gained entry, but common sense tell any business man that breaking into your future client's home is a bad idea...

"Mr. Bloodrose?" A voice asked from beside him.

"Yes?" Teric turned and found himself confronted with a tall, handsome man dressed in a dark suit. He was younger, clean shaven, and had an odd gold medallion hanging prominently from his neck. On the face of the medallion was a ship with three sails, and the acronym E.W.T.

East World Trading. Teric recalled from the letter he'd received.

"My employers are waiting next door." The young man bowed slightly. "They would like to apologize for the confusion, but the wrong address was written when the letter sent to you was dictated. The scribe responsible has been summarily fired."

I don't care about your scribes and your apologies. Teric wanted to reply, but instead he simply smiled. "That's fine." He said through the smile. "Just lead me to your boss."

A Nony Mouse
05-02-08, 09:48 AM
Nine tails, Travis thought, Whoa… What any creature would do with that many tails was beyond him, but he knew he best not ask any more questions down that path. It was obvious that the inquiry had made his companion uncomfortable and that wouldn’t do. When Tsukiko changed the subject by asking him a question, Travis was slow to respond.

“Radasanth,” he stated, trying to sum up the last few weeks in a word. Realizing that the kitsune would most likely be confused, he elaborated, “Battling in The Citadel, shopping in The Bazaar, stopping by the Synth Shop again… just some errands, really.” The pair chatted for the remainder of the trip, whittling down the few hours until they arrived at their destination.

“The Mearog should be in the rocks farther up the mountain,” he told his friend. “Let’s stick together in case we stumble across it.” Carefully making their way into the mountains ahead, the companions kept their eyes peeled for the wyvern.

Travis heard a rumble and looked up to see a small avalanche of shale raining down the mountainside. Stepping out of the way in plenty of time, he watched as the razor-sharp rock slid by. What caused that? he wondered. A low roar sounded from the rocks above as if in answer to his question and the adventurer glanced over at his companion.

“I think we found it.”

Tsukiko
05-02-08, 02:38 PM
“Yeah that doesn’t sound too fun.” I found myself saying. It might have been a bad idea to speak badly about his errands though nothing was particularly interesting to me. The Citadel sounded like an interesting place from what I heard though I really had to ask myself: Why would I fight if there was nothing to gain or to keep from losing? Since I couldn’t answer, I had always given the place a pass.

Too bad I didn’t get much of a chance to talk further with my friend. The birds of the forest were quick to shut up when the trees parted and gave way to craggy mountains. I have been around enough to know that birds like the mountains too but they weren’t out.

A monster screamed and I looked up to see a huge, winged and pot bellied lizard with a spiked tail. “Yes that must be the wyvern. That’s quite a lizard. It could swallow us whole.” I squeaked in awe. My tails shook in appreciation of the beast. It was big and when it took to the sky the lumbering creature was as graceful as a hawk, and it dove like one . . . strait at me.

I yelped in surprise at its quickness and jumped and rolled to the side. The beast must have been quite surprised as it screamed in frustration and lashed its tail at my body. I was quick to bring out a blade and knock the tail away as I ducked. The beast’s scales were armored since my steel edge did not cut through.

“We should head back to the forest. I won’t be able to swoop at us in there!” I yelled and started to retreat. Hopefully the beast would be dumb enough to follow. There was no way I could find a weak point if it kept in the air and moving quickly and diving at us.

Bloodrose
05-05-08, 11:43 AM
"What do you mean, the job offer has been 'retracted'?" Teric slammed an open palm down on the solid oak desk that dominated the center of the lush office, and the two burly guards by the door started towards the old mercenary. Luckily for them, their employer raised a hand and halted them before they could lay hands on the sole outsider present.

"The Board has decided to pursue security via a different route." Mr. Reginald Alabaster intoned dryly. He was a skinny man, with maybe a hundred and twenty pounds to show for his tall frame. Reading spectacles perched precariously on a beak of a nose beneath hair white with age. The gold medallion dangling around his neck was similar to the medallions all the other trading company employees wore, except his was bigger. "A third party is no longer needed in this matter, I'm afraid."

"So I came all the way out here to Dheathain for nothing?" Teric was livid, but he kept the bulk of his disappointment and anger chained away behind years of practiced discipline. Technically speaking, from a seasoned mercenary's point of view, one should never reveal any emotion when negotiating a job. Unfortunately for those who stuck to such a belief, Teric's former-would-be-employers already knew he was pissed.

"The Board would be happy to reimburse you for the cost of your travels, if you'd care to submit a claim." Mr. Alabaster dismissed the angry tension in the air with a shrug.

Teric snorted, standing himself perfectly upright and shooting glances at each of the four men, discounting the guards, in the room. Mr. Alabaster was flanked by the young man who had led the way, and in the northwest corner of the room stood two older gentlemen wearing those dark blue suits and the golden medallions. All eyes were on Teric, but no one in the room seemed overtly on edge.

"Don't bother." Teric felt the anger he'd felt in the heat of the moment rapidly slipping away. Shit happens, and people change their minds. The veteran thought to cool himself down. It was probably the lack of sleep on the ship ride to the Eastern Continent, or perhaps the money he'd stood to gain from this contract, that had caused him to snap when Alabaster had outright dismissed him and the job. "I won't be in town long enough for your 'Board' to settle my 'claim'." He emphasized a couple words with sarcasm to indicate just how he felt about the bureaucratic nonsense people pulled on each other these days. A hypocritical thing to do perhaps, considering just how closely he worked with the most bureaucratic accountant in Radasanth, but at least Pembleton didn't give people a fuss over travel expenses...

"My men can show you the way out." Mr. Alabaster gave a curt little gesture, like he was shooing a dog out of the room, and the two bodyguards ushered Teric out. They walked just behind him the whole way down the stairs until they reached the door, and then they stopped just far enough away from Teric to give the door room to slam shut behind him.

Now what? The mercenary thought glumly, fishing around in his pocket for a cigarette. Do I stay in Dheathain for a couple days, or do I turn around and find a ship away from here? Teric contemplated the two options as he lit his cigarette an enjoyed the first calming breath of smoke. Neither were really good options in his mind, but the idea of hopping back on a boat so soon was definitely the worse option.

A Nony Mouse
05-06-08, 01:45 PM
The Mearog’s dive placed it directly between Travis and the forest where Tsukiko was taking cover. He widened his stance automatically, squaring off as if he planned to take the seventeen foot wyvern on by himself. His green eyes took in the scenario before his mind had a chance to process it all. Enhanced senses picked out the creature’s slow, deep breaths and its focused eyes. Tsukiko had lost the beast’s attention, the Mearog now focused solely on the red-haired adventurer before him.

Mouth wide, the wyvern plummeted from its airy perch, heading straight for Travis. The traveler gauged the beast’s speed and then dove out of the way at the last second. Rolling back to his feet, he nearly smiled as he eyed the treeline just ahead. However, the confidence was smashed from him as the maul-like tail of the creature ricocheted off his armored chest. He flew back, landing on his butt several yards away and skidding before finally coming to a rest. His chest felt as if a horse were sitting on it; every breath was painfully shallow and quick.

Lying back as his head swam with eruptions of stars, the redhead saw the Mearog circling overhead for another pass. Need to get out of the way, his mind told him, willing his legs to move. But without oxygen, his limbs were as good as useless. His brain screamed command’s that his body simply could not obey. As the wyvern banked above the mountain to come around again, Travis rolled over and began pulling himself along the ground. Anything to escape the beast’s deadly claws and tail.

As the sound of beating wings grew ever nearer, Travis pulled himself just under the edge of an overturned rock. Sheltered against attacks from above, the winded warrior heard the Mearog scream in frustration as it soared past. Knowing he had little time to act, Travis pulled himself out from under the rock and to his feet.

Need drove his steps as his mind took over. Adrenaline coursed through his veins, burning achingly sweet as it pushed him beyond pain. His vision darkened as his legs pumped against the ground at a feverish pace. It seemed as though the rank breath of the wyvern was upon him when finally he broke through the treeline and stumbled upon the roots of a nearby tree. Crashing to the ground, too tired to break his fall, the adventurer gasped for air as the adrenaline slowly began to fade.

Before his eyes closed in exhaustion, he saw the kitsune leaning over him. Tsukiko, he thought he said, Back to Donnalaich…

Tsukiko
05-08-08, 05:07 PM
To be honest I was rather horrified that Travis was not right behind me and was attacked by the great beast. The Wyvern was on him and even smashed the poor guy with a spiked tail. I wanted to help him out and get him out of there but the failing of wing, claw and tail was too much to handle for me to get close without getting hurt.

I probably could shoot the beast though I didn’t know where to aim as his armored hide was the only target and going around to the other side would be out of the forest and would just leave me vulnerable. I just didn’t know what to do.

But thankfully Travis made his escape and was able to escape while being dazed and falling over once he was safe. I wasn’t sure that he was awake. “Are you all right?” I asked the poor fighter as he laid under me. It seemed like he was going to live. “That didn’t go well at all. Please don’t scare me like that.”

“Let’s go back. Maybe we can get some better supplies. Maybe I could get a good bow and some arrows. And You probably need a good night’s sleep.” I smiled and helped the kid out. “We’ll have to stay where the forest is thicker so the beast can’t pick us up like sick rabbits.” I kneeled down and wrapped my arms around him and helped him walk.

Men really hate it when I help them like this. Somehow they always expect to carry me like this or even better yet just hold me the entire way instead of sharing weight. Thankfully the forest was calm and the wyvern had easier prey that made better meals to get than us.

We were back in the city and the festival was still in full bloom but we probably weren’t really going to join it this time either. “The next time we meet at a festival, we’re going to have some fun then go slay the monster. That sounds fair, doesn’t it?”

(permission granted to bunny me out)

Bloodrose
05-12-08, 09:33 AM
What a waste of my time. Teric was bitter, as he imagined any man would be after feeling the money he'd been offered slip through his grasp. There were few things more haunting to a mercenary than the feel of phantom coins falling between his fingers as he was powerless to stop them. Money is the lifeblood of the sellsword, and taking that away from him is like taking the food off his plate, the roof from over his head, and the pleasant company out of his arms...

Whatever. The veteran spat and tried to clear his thoughts of all things East World Trading. At fifty-two years, Teric had been around the block enough times to know that people change their minds, and that offered jobs are in no way a promised payday. He'd also been around long enough to have put some money away - enough money to keep food on his plate, a roof over his head, and to entertain pleasant company if he wanted it. His modest savings was money enough to blunt the blow of what he'd just lost - potentially.

There was some sort of flower festival going on in the square, but Teric skirted the brightly colored celebration as much as possible. He wasn't much of one for flowers, no matter how wonderful they smelled or beautiful they looked. Flowers were just a little to feminine for the tastes of a grizzled, money-hungry old mercenary like Teric, despite the fact that his nickname had a flower right in it - Bloodrose.

Turning the corner onto one of the streets out of the square, and further on out of the city, Teric bumped right into two passerbies coming around the corner the other way. The sudden appearance of the couple, the man with his arm draped casually over the girl's shoulder, surprised Teric at first, but he quickly composed himself. He was about to apologize to the two for not looking where he was going, but what the veteran was seeing finally caught up with him just after he opened his mouth.

"Sorry... By the Goddess! What the hell is wrong with your friend there?" Teric shifted focus almost immediately as soon as he realized the young man wasn't draping his arm over his companion as a sign of affection, but to keep himself upright. The ginger-headed kid looked like he'd been hit by a horse and carriage - all dirtied up and rough, holding his ribs like they'd just been knocked in by something. "You just get mugged?" Teric added helpfully.

A Nony Mouse
05-13-08, 02:17 PM
Though it hurt his ribs to do so, Travis chuckled at his partner’s mention of the flower festival. The kitsune certainly had an odd way of expressing her worry. The red-haired traveler had assured her on the way back to Donnalaich that it was nothing more than a few bruised ribs, but in truth, his side hurt immensely. He pushed the pain out of his mind as an older gentleman bumped into them.

Seeing the state of the weary adventurer, the man questioned what they had been doing and Travis relayed the story as best he could remember. Tsukiko filled in a few of the details he missed, but remained mostly silent during his tale. The man remained attentive throughout the entire narrative, hawk-like eyes focused intently on his target but still taking in the entire area around them.

He has to be a fighter of some kind, Travis observed as he ended his story. The man had an air about him that set the traveler on edge. It wasn’t just that he was intimidating, for his was; it was the way that the fighter carried himself. “That kind of thing never would have happened to you, I imagine,” he quipped wryly. Frowning slightly at his misfortune, he turned to his companion once again and motioned toward one of the inns bordering the square.

“We should get going,” he added to the older man as Tsukiko began scanning the signs. “Need to recuperate before trying again.” The red-haired adventurer needed the wyvern bone and it would take more than a tail-lashing to stop him. His thought turned from the gentleman who had nearly run them over back to the beast in the mountains. How to defeat such a creature… the thought took him far from the crowded square; his attention wandering toward possible solutions.

"Actually Travis," his companion whispered, turning away from the older gentleman. "You gave me quite a scare back there. I'm not sure I want to go back..." The red-haired traveler smiled at the kitsune and put a reassuring arm on her shoulder.

"Stay and enjoy the festival then," he told her. He'd figure out some way to slay the beast by himself. "Don't worry about me, I won't try anything foolish." As they parted ways, the adventurer realized that 'something foolish' was exactly what he had in mind. "Farewell, Tsukiko," he mumbled before moving off.

Bloodrose
05-22-08, 07:19 PM
What an odd... couple? Teric pondered as the two individuals he'd bumped into parted ways. The kitsune wandered meekly into the square where the flower festival was in full swing, but her male companion seemed to turn and start back in the direction from which they'd just came. Teric was left standing alone in the middle of the street, at this point less apologetic about bumping into the duo and more curious as to what their deal was. They obviously knew each other, had obviously just been through some manner of scuffle together, and yet they parted ways easily. Odd indeed...

Shaking his head as if to clear his thoughts, Teric shrugged off the short encounter in the street and set off back in the direction he'd been travelling. The main thoroughfare he was following took travelers directly through the city to the outskirts and the mountains beyond. It was the shortest way out of the city, aside from heading back to the ferry, and the old veteran wasn't in a mood for a boat ride right now. Coincidentally, the roughed up man plod along just ahead of him, intent on following the same path.

"Hey there!" Teric took a few quick steps to catch up with the man just slightly ahead of him. It was a long walk to get out of the city and into the countryside, so why not pass the time while chatting with someone heading the same way? The warrior slowed his steps to keep pace with the injured man. "I couldn't help but notice that you failed to answer my question earlier. How'd you find yourself roughed up like that?"

A Nony Mouse
05-24-08, 07:45 AM
The closer Travis got to leaving the Crystal Square, the more apprehensive he became. What made him think that he could fare any better against the Mearog? Nothing had changed since his previous encounter, except that he was short one traveling companion. He thought again about how eager the kitsune had been to leave his company… was there something else going on? Maybe something relating to her tails, he thought idly. She did say something about those tails… He shrugged and picked up his pace, there was little he could do about it now.

Each step sent spikes of pain through his side and eventually the red-haired warrior slowed to a slow crawl. Great, he commented wryly, There’s no way I’ll be able to kill a wyvern in this condition. Worried about just how he was going to get wyvernbone, the traveler kicked up the dust of the path he was on. Anxiety quickened his breathing, paining his side even more.

The grizzled veteran fighter jogged up to his side, greeting him and asking the same question he had posed earlier. Travis laughed, holding his hand to his ribs as he did, “Tsukiko and I got into a bit of a tussle with a Mearog.” He couldn’t wait for the man’s reaction; fighting a giant wyvern and getting trounced seemed like such a rookie mistake. He averted his eyes, slightly ashamed that he hadn’t fared better.

Bloodrose
06-02-08, 11:59 AM
A Mearog, huh? Teric's brow furrowed in curious interest, and the veteran paused to take a second look at the man limping alongside him. He didn't strike the older man as the warrior/hunter type, but the man was certainly athletic enough to pass for either if he was. Beaten and downtrodden, the young man had a disappointed look on his face, as though getting beat up by a flying lizard was something to be ashamed of.

"Nasty buggers, those wyverns." Teric offered cheerily, trying to lift the hobbling man's spirits. "I try to stay away from them generally, what with their fierce territorial nature and vicious tempters."

The two men continued on along the road for several more minutes in silence, each more or less walking alone with his own thoughts despite their close proximity. For all intensive purposes, they were just two strangers who happened to be travelling down the same path.

"My name is Teric," The veteran reached across his body with his right hand in a gesture of greeting, "by the way."

A Nony Mouse
06-02-08, 12:24 PM
As the pair kicked up dust behind them, they headed farther away from Donnalaich and ever closer to the wild countryside of Dheathain. Many creatures called the wilderness home and the woodsman knew very few of them. From his previous travels with Tsukiko, he knew a few of the creatures that lurked in the Fiorair, but little else. However, Travis knew that the Mearog was likely one of the worst creatures he could have run into. Anything that large and fierce was likely at the top of the food chain. He was glad Teric hadn’t made a big deal out of things; insult added to injury was the last thing he needed.

They left the crystalline structures of the fae city behind them and entered the true wilderness after not too long. The path was well-maintained and few stones loosened underfoot to trip up the travelers. Travis mind wandered to the process of synthesizing, for that was why he hunted the Mearog in the first place. He knew that when his sword was created, he would cherish it more than any blade he could have bought in the bazaar or paid to have forged especially for him. He was pouring his sweat, blood, and tears into this weapon. It would be a part of him.

When the grizzled veteran offered his hand, Travis snapped out of his daydreaming and had to stop grasping his ribs to return the greeting. “Travis,” he replied, stifling a grunt. Then the hand shot back to its job nursing his bruised side. “What brings you to Dheathain?”

Bloodrose
06-02-08, 01:29 PM
"Business, mostly." Teric replied casually as the two men wandered out of the city and into the wilderness. So long as they stuck to the main road, especially this close to the city still, they were safe from most passing creatures that called the wild lands of Dheathain home. Teric was familiar with the flora and fauna here on a somewhat experienced level, having campaigned against goblins here some years ago, so he found himself feeling a little more comfortable than his travelling companion. Travis, seemed to be. "Nothing all that interesting I'm afraid."

"So tell me, Travis, what in kind brings you to the Eastern Continent? Were you looking to get beat up by a wyvern, or did you just happen to cross paths with one?"

A Nony Mouse
06-02-08, 02:17 PM
The path wound through several small foothills and Travis’ sense of foreboding split his attention. Part of him wanted to creep through the area silently so as not to be noticed while the other half wanted him to continue the conversation with Teric. Turning, he eyed the warrior beside him unobtrusively. The man was old, but he looked in better shape than Travis. The red-haired adventurer chuckled to himself; what was he worried about?

“I heard tell of the Synthesis Shop and had to come see it for myself,” he explained. “So I hopped a ferry and asked the fae proprietor to craft something for me. The shoulder blade of a Mearog is just one of the items on the ingredient list.” He smiled as he thought on the quest he had just completed with Tsukiko. The kitsune had been getting items for her own list. “Seems like half the adventurers around the capital are doing the same,” he joked.

Thinking back to Teric’s earlier reply, he couldn’t help but ask, “And what sort of business are you in, Teric?”

Bloodrose
06-02-08, 03:07 PM
Ah, so that's it. Teric pieced it all together as soon as Travis mentioned the Synthesis Shop, even before the limping young man finished describing what it was he was looking for. The Shop, one of Dheathain's national treasures (or just about, to hear the Fae tell of it), was notorious for sending giddy adventurers out after exotic ingredients and components like magic glass, enchanted water, and the bones or organ tissue of dangerous creatures. Of course, the proprietors of the Synthesis Shop could craft some fabulous items from such components, but more serious adventurers usually found themselves asking: "Is the end result really worth all the trouble?

"I do a little bit of everything, really - so long as the price is right." Teric offered easily, not afraid to divulge his mercenary nature. There was no use denying what he was, so why bother shying away from the subject with random travelers on the road? "Collection, protection, intimidation. The kinds of things most everyone could do on their own if they wanted, but usually don't."

There was a moment of silence between the two men that would have continued unabated if Teric hadn't happened to stumble upon another thought. He was on the road solely to get through Dheathain, opting to take the long way back to Talmhaidh rather than just hop back on the ferry. Travis though, he seemed preoccupied with the higher foothills just off the road. The craggy, foreboding pedestals off of which the hills and mountains built their rises.

"Say, Travis," Teric intoned quietly, "you're not thinking about going after that Mearog again in your condition, are you?" The mercenary didn't want to be mean about it, but the young man didn't stand much chance against a fast-flying, ill-tempered reptile in his shape. Definitely not if assuming that it had been a healthy and prepared Travis beaten up prior by one.

A Nony Mouse
06-03-08, 03:53 PM
The older man’s tone irritated the adventurer slightly, but he made certain not to let it show. “The thing surprised me that first time,” he explained matter-of-factly. “It won’t happen like that the second time.” Frustration at having been beaten badly by the beast burdened him, but he wasn’t about to forget about defeating the wyvern. “It’s just something I have to do,” he added as he shrugged.

All manner of men and beasts had there weaknesses, it was just a matter of finding them. The red-haired warrior was sure that he would be able to defeat the Mearog once he found the creature’s soft point. He was confident in his abilities, but apparently Teric thought differently.

The mercenary’s concerns aside, Travis was sure he could handle the beast… he just had to.

Bloodrose
06-16-08, 09:29 AM
There was something about the way Travis said "It’s just something I have to do," that remind Teric of himself when he was a young man. It was a vague feeling, mostly because Teric couldn't fully remember everything he'd done as a wild and foolhardy youth, but he could remember enough to recognize the appeal something like a synthesized weapon would have to someone like Travis. Youth had a way of exacerbating the implied value of something magical or expensive. To a young mind, a magical weapon was obvious far-and-away a superior weapon to a plain one, ensuring almost certain victory were the two to collide...

Except that isn't always the case. Teric contemplated as they walked. Time and experience had ways of curing a man from that sort of thinking. Given a long enough timeline, a warrior would eventually come to realize that a weapon is only as good as the fighter wielding it. One might possess a fantastic weapon capable of dealing great harm to anyone standing in its way, but unless the wielder could swing such a weapon with enough finesse and skill to actually land a shot, it wouldn't matter any.

"Seems you're pretty determined then." Teric finally contributed aloud, keeping easily abreast of the young man as he eventually wandered off the beaten path and onto a side road that snaked up into the jagged mountains beyond. It would have been easy to just part ways with Travis and continue along the main road, but there was something about the young man's tenacity that kept the older warrior's feet following along. "I don't suppose there's anything I could say to convince you to turn around and go back to the main road?"

Even as he spoke, Teric's left hand dropped to the hilt of the weapon as his hip. He toyed with the metalwork absently, moving the hilt subtley to loosen the weapon, readying it should it be needed at a moment's notice. Skill wise, the veteran didn't fear the typical flora and fauna of the regions he travelled much these days. He had the strength and the knowledge necessary to dispatch most foes, and the brains to know when to run if necessary. Helping Travis pick off a hot-headed wyvern would be simple... as long as Travis was smart about it.

His first question had been rhetorical in nature, but his second wasn't.

"I've got a plan in mind that would serve you better than just going toe-to-toe with this Mearog of yours." Teric offered casually. "Would you like to hear it?"

A Nony Mouse
06-17-08, 04:42 PM
The grizzled veteran may have been rough around the edges merely as part of a complex persona; however, there was something in the way that he carried himself that spoke of countless battles, myriads of adventures, and journeys far across the reaches of the world. The man walking down the path next to him had lived through a life full of danger and lived thus far to tell the tale. Travis was no fool; if such a man offered advice, he was sure to listen. And so when Teric mentioned that he had a plan, the young redhead was all ears.

With a soft chuckle, he turned to the man and confessed, “Would I ever!” Of course, he wasn’t about to rush headlong into a battleplan if it turned out to be foolish, but he doubted that the mercenary had anything too risky in mind. It’ll certainly turn out better than my last plan did, he observed.

Swinging the Akashima redwood pole from its place on his back, Travis Kiltias kept one eye on the mountain peaks as he waited for Teric to detail his plan. With any luck, they’d make short work of the Mearog.

Bloodrose
06-18-08, 02:18 PM
At least this one is eager to listen. Teric beamed Travis a knowing smile, liking the young man a little more. The problem with youth, besides stubbornly setting their minds on things they didn't really need, was that they didn't listen. Common sense would dictate that a warrior thirty, forty years your senior would have knowledge enough to aid even the most impressive of young warriors. Common sense would dictate that, but how many people these days seemed to pay much attention to a silly little thing like sense?

"Glad to see you're eager for the help." Teric said. "Shows you're not a madman just out to get himself killed." Absently, the veteran watched as Travis readied his polearm and started dividing his gaze between looking at Teric and watching the craggy peaks looming ahead of them. I guess we're getting close to where he was last time.

"I'm going to assume, naturally by the look of you, that the last time you came through here, you didn't really have a plan. Probably just figured you'd stumble upon the beast, whack it over the head, and off you'd go, right? Something like that?" The slightly cross look that flashed over Travis' face informed Teric that the young man didn't take to kindly to the summarization of his actions, but also that the veteran was right on the money. "That's a good way to get yourself killed, really. You should always have a plan in mind, and generally speaking, plans make the job much simpler."

"Take you're current endeavor, for example..." Done with the setup, Teric launched right into his idea. "You could do what you did last time, and just try to pick a fight. Or... you could lay a trap." There was a definite sign of interest in Travis' expression now. "If I were trying to take down a Mearog, I'd try to blindside it, you see? Hit it when it doesn't know what's coming. That's a difficult proposition, since they're hard to sneak up on, but in this case their fierce aggression works to our advantage. If it were me, I'd stand some sucker out in a clearing and tell him to start hooting and hollering and making such a fuss that a wyvern would have no choice but to come shut him up. Then, when the beast pounces, I'd have someone else lurking nearby to hit the creature with a deathblow..."

"I think I'm rambling a bit, but you follow where I'm going with this?"

A Nony Mouse
06-18-08, 03:10 PM
Travis listened intently as his traveling companion outlined his plan. It seemed as though Teric had thought it out, but one thing bothered him. “I suppose that sucker you have in mind would be me?” he asked in a resigned tone. He clearly understood where the older man was going with his outline and the slight grin that crept into the grizzled veteran’s features told Travis he was right on the money.

With a sigh, the redhead focused entirely on the jagged rocks before him. The Mearog couldn’t be too far away, all he needed to do was provide Teric with a distraction. Although the other fighter looked calm, Travis sensed that the mercenary was actually very alert. The practiced ease with which his fellow adventurer divided his attention between conversation and observation comforted the younger fighter. Here’s a man who knows what he’s doing, he mused.

As he crept up the shallow grade of the foothill, he kept low to the ground. He couldn’t begin his distraction until he was far enough away from Teric. They needed the Mearog focused entirely on the red-haired warrior and his amusing antics. Great, Travis thought. A Mearog’s full attention. It was true that the plan was slightly unorthodox for fighting something so large, but it was a solid idea. “And if it works for other creatures…” Travis muttered to himself as he maneuvered into position.

His ribs still smarted, but the majority of the pain had faded in the time since the pair had left the fae city. Travis Kiltias straightened to his full height and cupped a hand to his mouth, “Ahoy Mearog!” He waited for a beat before continuing, “Come and face me!” His challenge echoed off the mountains before him, its sound disturbed by the angles of the rocks. No answer came, and so the warrior took a deep breath to shout again.

Just as he was about to yell, a tremendous bellow sounded from behind him. Whirling about as the smallest stones around his feet bounced on the ground, Travis saw the unmistakable form of the wyvern charging from the forest. Its massive wings were tucked to its sides and its prodigious head was lowered close to the ground. As heavy as it was, it covered ground quickly and Travis nimbly dodged out of the way at the last second. Remembering his previous encounter, he barely landed before launching himself in the air again. The studded tail snapped through the air underneath his feet and the redhead breathed a sigh of relief.

He landed in a crouch with his polearm at the ready as the lumbering leviathan rounded a large stone for another pass. “Any time you have an opening,” he mumbled as if speaking to Teric. But above the din that the wyvern was causing, the grizzled war veteran likely wouldn’t hear him.

Bloodrose
06-18-08, 03:43 PM
Teric had just barely positioned himself behind a tree, watching Travis advance a little ways up the hill, when he was completely caught off guard...

"Well that certainly didn't take long." Teric mumbled to himself, completely drowned out by the bellowing of Travis' large, reptilian prize. The wyvern, which Teric has expected to see come charging down out of the craggy foothills, thundered out of the woods behind them like a big ox, head and shoulder's lowered into a animalistic charge. In all likelihood they had crossed paths with the thing a little ways back when they ventured off the main road, and assuming if Travis hadn't started yelling and making a fuss, the Mearog might have actually caught them unawares from behind.

Travis nimbly evaded the wyvern on its first pass, expertly avoiding the spiked tail that so many adventurers tended to forget until it was to late. The young man was obviously one to learn from previous experiences, which Teric found oddly endearing. Not so endearing, however, was the upset look on the boy's face that conveyed his thoughts better than the words Teric couldn't make out of the wyvern's growling.

"Any time now!"

I am totally out of position. The veteran cursed their misfortune, remembering rather forcibly that even the best laid plans can go wrong. And if good plans can go wrong, then a cheesy little idea he offered up off the top of his head was of course doomed to fail. The wyvern approaching them from behind was the polar opposite of what Teric's simple plan had counted on, and through its unintentional flanking manuever, the Mearog had the slight advantage. Of course, it was an advantage that immediately vanished into thin air as soon as Travis avoided the initial charge, essentially turning the wyvern around and getting it to approach from the direction Teric has planned on originally.

Dismissing his initial reaction over the state of their plan, Teric stepped out from behind his tree and approached the path of travel the wyvern was taking on its return trip to get at Travis. Sword at the ready, the veteran timed his approach to get close enough to the Mearog as it passed. Rather than pass, however, the creature immediately picked up on the fact that it had a second target to contend with, and almost started to shift it's trajectory at the new threat. Unfortunately for the big reptile though, it caught on a little to slow to save itself...

Twin cresent air-blades whipped forward from Teric's position as the veteran unleashed on of his trademark Slash attacks, a handy little feat he'd been using since his younger days. The semi-transparent gusts of wind didn't look like much, but anyone who'd lived through the receiving end of those gusts could tell you a thing or two about the force and the damage potential they possessed. At about 15 feet, a little too close for comfort, but not close enough to cut, the air-blades collided with the Mearog with enough blunt force to dent Damascus. Paired with the oncoming force of the creature's charge, the x-shaped cross crushed in the head a little and snapped the leg-bones on the two front appendages right out from under the beast. It went down in a heap, screeching and growling like the wounded animal that it was.

"It's not dead yet!" Teric called to Travis, at the same time taking a couple steps back to put a more comfortable distance between himself and the thrashing, livid wyvern. "But I don't think you have to worry about it charging anymore!"

A Nony Mouse
06-21-08, 10:07 AM
As the wyvern’s maw drew furrows in the dirt, Travis ran toward the flailing beast. Teric had effectively crippled it, but it was still dangerous enough to warrant caution. More than one rock shattered in thousands of pieces as the beast’s ferocious tail collided with them. The red-haired adventurer got closer and watched in fear as the Mearog pushed itself clumsily off the ground with its broken front legs. With an unearthly roar of pain and anger, the creature’s dark eyes burned with hatred.

Can creatures feel hatred? Travis found himself wondering. But his flights of fancy were cut short as the Mearog crouched low before launching itself up into the air. Its massive wings caught enough air to keep it aloft and then began to pump furiously. The club-like tail whirled about under it, fending off any attack Teric or Travis could have unleashed. Within seconds, the prone wyvern was no longer such an easy target.

“Teric!” the younger adventurer shouted above yet another shriek from the monster. “What now?” He hoped that the mercenary had another plan, but he wasn’t going to count on it. Turning about, he raced for a large stone jutting from the hillside nearby. As the Mearog circled overhead, he found refuge in the rock’s protective shadow. Any cover he could find would be useful; the Mearog was now in its element.

Bloodrose
08-19-08, 05:34 PM
Travis' fleeing shouts fell on deaf ears as Teric fell back a few paces from the rising Mearog. The enraged creature beat its wing violently, lifting its bulk off the ground (and off its broken legs) easily. The veteran watched cautiously as the heavy tail whipped around like a rudder, straightening the monster as it hovered briefly and let out a triumphant roar.

"Come on you bastard!" The veteran challenged the flying beast with a yell, catching the wyrm's attention as it began to circle slowly through the air above, picking up speed with each whoosh of its wings. Black, soulless eyes met blue ones for a moment as the creature decided between the older target standing in the open and the younger target scurrying for the rocks. It didn't take long for that decision to be made, for a beast's mind is about as simple as they come.

Screeching a war cry, the Mearog dipped its wings and dove, hurling itself into an arcing downward spiral aimed right at the spot upon which Teric stood. Without the use of its front limbs, the monster seemed keen on barreling into the mercenary with its bony, thick skull and plow its prey into the ground. It didn't get much of a chance to however, because as the wyrm focused its gaze on its target, Teric raised his empty left hand and extended his palm towards the diving creature...

Boom

A loud bang, like a thunderclap at ground level, split the air of the forest - a brilliant white glare accompanying the ear-popping noise. The veins in his eyelids were visible like a map in front of him as Teric clenched his eyes shut against the flashbang technique he liked to use. Eyes closed, he tried to step out of the way as well, but tripped over a rock and fell sprawling to the forest floor just the murderous Mearog crashed into the ground. The blinding light had caused the creature to thrash and fall off course, and it slammed headfirst into one of the hundred small rock faces - maybe only a few feet tall at the most - that dotted the foothills and grew larger as one climbed into the mountains proper.

"Ugh." Teric winced as the squishy sound of flesh and bone smacking rock echoed around the Mearog's hunting ground. Dark, dark blood splattered like a raindrop hitting the street - sending a pattern of gore across the rocks and grass. A single moan, like the breath rushing out of a dying man, and the wyrm twitched once before laying still where it fell.

A Nony Mouse
08-20-08, 03:46 PM
Like a falling tree in a dense forest, the Mearog wasn’t content to go down alone. As it plummeted back toward the earth, Travis saw his older partner go down too. Unsure whether or not it had been the beast’s work, the younger adventurer sprinted from his cover as best as he could and to Teric’s side. When he arrived, the grizzled veteran was chuckling and dusting himself off. “But, what?” the confused look on the red-haired warrior’s face spoke volumes and only served to fuel the mercenary’s mood.

“How did you do that?” Travis asked in an awe-struck voice. His question immediately sobered up his companion’s countenance and the elder fighter simply turned and strode off some distance. “I won’t be long,” the redhead called after him. Drawing his knife, the man set to the task that had brought him to the countryside of Dheathain; harvesting materials from the great wyvern.

As he cut out three of the massive beast’s teeth from its head, Travis prayed to the Thaynes for having assisted in the death of such a creature. Although terrifying in its element, the wyvern was a majestic creature… so long as you weren’t the one battling it. But now that it was dead, Travis was having second thoughts about carving it up to create a sword. “Do you think I’m doing the right thing, Teric?” he asked his partner who was still standing silently some ways off.

With his blade poised to cut deep into the monster’s back, Travis wavered. He’d need the thing’s shoulder blades to craft the sword properly; a price he was not certain that he was willing to pay. “Teric?” he lowered his weapon and turned to see what wise words the jaded fighter would offer him.

Bloodrose
08-20-08, 07:05 PM
"What do you mean, are you doing the right thing?" Teric turned to stare back at Travis with one eyebrow raised. The red-headed lad was kneeling beside the fallen beast, his bloodied knife in hand and a few of the creatures teeth laid neatly beside him. The boy had a look on his face - the kind of look a small child gets when he first watches his father gut and clean a deer. The less sentient denizens roaming the face of Althanas, namely animals, carried a sentimental and spiritual value to some people, and judging by that look, Travis was one such person. We didn't wander all the way out here to kill a wyvern just some Travis could have a moral crisis, did we? Teric thought bewildered. The mercenary supposed that the wyrm was a fairly impressive beast - but that was all the more reason to put its corpse to good use.

"If you're looking to me for moral guidance, you're looking in the wrong place." Teric added stoically. "I'm not exactly role-model material over here, kid. If you want my opinion though - you might as well get what you're after so we can go. I mean... Hell, the bastard is already dead. Nothing you can do about that, so you might as well put the thing to some good use in crafting your sword - or whatever it is you're looking to make out of him."

"Unbelievable!" Teric muttered under his breath, turning back away from Travis and the Mearog to stare off into the woods. First you want to kill the thing, and now you wish you hadn't. It always bother an old veteran like Teric when people were so indecisive about what they wanted. No nonsense - that was the kind of guy the mercenary likened himself to be. If you want something, you go and get it, and you don't fret over it.

Standing there, looking dully off into space as he waited, it occurred to Teric that he might as well make the best of the situation and get something out of it for himself. Travis wasn't exactly paying him to tag along - he had more of less done that on his own - but that didn't mean that he couldn't share in the spoils. Looking back over his shoulder for a moment, a though started forming in the mercenary's head.

Travis is only after the bones. That certainly leaves and awful lot of that wyrm hide to go to waste...

Pulling the Plynt dagger from his boot, Teric strode back to where Travis was still mulling over how to proceed. Maybe when Teric started skinning the beast he'd feel better about salvaging its bones.