PDA

View Full Version : A Bloodstained Homecoming

The Last Wolf
03-28-06, 01:23 AM
((Solo))

The rising sun engulfed the city in a dim orange color. Those who had to work early were beginning to rise, the most eager of which were already at their jobs. It was a day just like any other in the simple town.

The town had all the necessary buildings for those who would call themselves an “adventurer.” There was a tavern, that went without saying. There probably wasn’t a town in the entire world that didn’t have one of those. After all, where else would an adventure begin most of their adventures? Of course there was an inn as well, along with a weapon shop somewhere around here.

The young man walked almost carelessly down the streets. He had no fear of getting lost despite the many twisting roads before him, for he knew this place well. It was his home. It was here that he had grown up, here that he had been nursed at his father’s knee, here was where his family still lived. Here was where he had been fed lies and misinformation about who he really was, and what his true destiny was.

But that was for later, thinking about it really wouldn’t help him at the moment. No, for now violent outbursts would simply not do. So the man clenched his teeth and continued his walk, drinking in every detail of the place that he had once called “home.”

His faced obscured by the cloak that he had recently purchased, the man could only assume he seemed somewhat out of place. After all, he looked like something out of a damn storybook. The robe he wore was completely black, and it covered his entire body. But, better to appear to be some mysterious stranger than who he really was. Anonymity would be useful here, it was much better than hearing his name being called down the street.

Yes, his name. Renault Nox was what he was called, and he imagined the people of this town remembered it. Everyone seemed to know him when he was young, yet he had never really known why. He did know that the life he had been dealt was not for him, so he had left to find another life. He had found it.

Renault was a mercenary now, and he kept his sword at his side at all times. Another blessing of the cloak was that his weapon would also be hidden; the robe really had been a nice investment. As he walked, the buildings became fewer and more spread out. Renault knew he was getting closer.

Ahead of him on a hill sat one solitary building. It was a rather large one, but then again most buildings like it were. It was after all a dojo, and those things did tend to be somewhat on the large side. His father was the master of that dojo, and trained many successful students; or at least that was what Renault had been told. He had never been there himself. He had never even known of its existence.

His entire childhood had been a lie. His parents had told him that they were farmers, that they never touched a sword. They even lived on a farm, and he had even toiled in the fields (as well as his brother and sister). But it was all a lie. They had never told him that his father was a master swordsman, and that his brother and sister were both well versed in the art. Everything was a lie.

But he knew the truth now. He knew what the building was, and who was the master. He also knew why his father had kept it hidden from him. For generations his family had passed down a single sword, a sword that was said to cut the sky in two when wielded by a strong enough warrior. Of course like all-powerful weapons this sword also came with a curse, supposedly it would drive its wielder mad with bloodlust. Renault had thought it somewhat cliché, but the truth was before his eyes.

Here was the dojo, right where it was suppose to be. The sword would be in there as well; the family couldn’t risk leaving it in their actual home. All feared what would happen if a certain son managed to get his hand on that blade. Every few generations there was born to the protecting family a boy (although Renault did wonder if it could be a girl as well, prophecy’s always tended to be a little sparing on the details) who could never touch the blade. Doom would befall the family if that cursed child laid hands upon that blade.

The child always had a telltale sign that signified that he could never be trusted, never be allowed to follow in his family’s footsteps of guarding the blade. The child’s eyes would be golden, and with that golden color came a choice. The family could either kill their own son, or hide everything from him. His family had obviously chosen the later, but that was their mistake, and they would pay for it.

They had been so stupid, allowing him to leave home. They should have killed him, or at least brought him back. His family probably thought that if he left the village the sword would be safer, but they were wrong. For in his travels Renault had heard of the blade, and now he came for it. It was, after all, his destiny.

In truth, he did not wish to face his family. One reason was that they all out-matched him when it came to the sword. His family had been training their entire lives; Renault had only learned the art several years ago. Another reason was that even if they had lied to him, they were still his family. He did not wish to cut them down, but if he had to then he had to.

That blade was his. It belonged to him. Those fools had no right to hide it from him, no right at all. He was only taking what rightfully belonged to him, nothing more. The cursed blade should be in his hands, not on some wall. Swords were meant to cut men down; they had no use for peace. And by the day’s end, Renault would have what belonged to him.

He was close now, just a little bit longer. The dojo was just up ahead, and in that building was his destiny. His golden eyes glittered as he approached the large gates that barred his way. Slowly, a sinister smile begun to creep across his dark face. The smile was becoming ever more apparent, his days as a mercenary had brought it out of hiding. And once he had that sword, there was no telling just what would be brought out of him, but Renault didn’t care. He had come for his sword, and nothing would stop him. Not even his family.

I’m home father.

The Last Wolf
04-05-06, 04:16 AM
The heavy doors creaked open as Renault approached the dojo entrance. The hooded man smirked as his view began to fill with the courtyard of the dojo. “That’s interesting, I didn’t even have a chance to knock. What fools, letting a wolf into their herd without so much as a word. Father needs to update his teachings.”

Cautiously Nox stepped into the courtyard, his keen eyes sensing for any incoming threat. But he was not so lost to fully appreciate the moment. Here he was in a courtyard he should never have been able to see, for a sword that he should’ve never even heard about. The sweetness of the moment was not lost to the robbed mercenary, although many other things were.

Soon enough, a man in a white student outfit opened the doors from the dojo’s interior and began to walk towards Renault. The mercenary debated his options and came to the conclusion that it would be better to wait and see what happened instead of charging at the student. Although the latter option certainly appealed to the mercenary at the moment.

“Greetings sir. Won’t you come with me?” Said the student as he motioned towards the dojo. With no hesitation, Renault followed the young man into the main room of the dojo. It really was a rather nice place with its polished wooden floors and white walls decorated with multiple objects, such as paintings as well as scriptures. Why does every dojo seem to have white walls? Perhaps its part of a ritual.

“We ask that you leave any of your weapons at the table here. Rest assured, no harm will come to them.” Said the student as he pointed towards a nearby table. That request bothered Renault much more than the colors of the wall. The mercenary kept his sword by his side at all times, and to be without it even for a moment gave him a feeling of vulnerability. That and his plan was to storm through this dojo and steal something from the master, a plan that would more than likely require the use of a weapon.

But there was no chance of him even getting through the second door if he brought suspicion to himself the very moment he entered. As much as he hated to, Nox knew that he had to comply with the student’s demand. Letting out an almost inaudible sigh, Renault loosened his robe just enough to reach in and pull out his sword. Once he had gripped the sheath of the blade firmly, he yanked the weapon out and placed it onto the table, sheath and all.

The student nodded at Renault and motioned for him to have a seat. Of course, this dojo had no chairs; meaning Renault was supposed to sit on the floor. That didn’t bother the mercenary anywhere near as much as leaving his sword, so Nox once more submitted to the man’s wishes. “Wait here for a moment, I’ll call my master.”

Could the man really mean the dojo master? No, it must be another person, there was no way a dojo master would be greeting a guest. But still, Nox had to wonder just what would happen if his father appeared from the doors before him. This thought caused Renault silently curse as his mind began to re-run the information that had brought him here.

The mercenary had been drinking in a pub when it had happened. Renault had been minding his own business, happily sipping a small cup of sake when an old man had sat down next to him. Naturally, Renault had been slightly astonished that any man would simply dare to sit at a table next to some random stranger, but the mercenary was far more astonished the old man had known his name.

“You’re Renault Nox I assume? A mercenary of some sort, yes?” The old man had said with no hesitation in his voice. Thinking back, the old geezer seemed to be the type that should have trouble walking if one were to judge the man by his age, but the old guy had seemed to move with the spirit of something much more than an old grandpa.

“Who are you and what do you want with me?” Renault immediately looked at the man with an intense stare. It was entirely possible that the man had heard about Renault from soldiers in a battle, but something about the man just rubbed Renault the wrong way. The mercenary began to like the man even less when he completely ignored Renault’s question and simply continued talking.

“Your father told you that he was a farmer, yes? You’re the youngest in your family, with an older brother as well as an older sister, right?” The man merely continued speaking, completely ignoring Renault’s previous question. This did not please Nox, but then again, being ignored probably didn’t please most people.

“I asked you a question!” Renault had snarled at the man, his golden eyes glittering with hate. But the old man had just laughed at Nox and smiled at him. Most people usually gave a different reaction when shouted at.

“That you did. However, I believe that I asked you a question first, correct?” The old man had replied with a smile. Yet this smile wasn’t the smile of a kind old man, it had been something else. Nox had seen smiles like that before, usually on the faces of warriors drenched in blood. Why an old man wore such a smile was a question that Renault still didn’t have an answer for.

“All that you have said is true. Now who the hell are you?” Renault had replied with no small amount of irritation in his voice. The mercenary was seriously considering drawing his sword at that moment, but finally the old man had begun to answer him.

“You may call me Lazarus. Now then, have you ever heard of a blade known as the Muramasa?” This question had finally stopped Renault’s shouting, for after that point the conversation had become much more interesting. Nox had no idea why the old man was talking to him, but his ears drank in every word.

The blade supposedly contained a great power, but also contained a great curse. According to Lazarus, the blade gripped the wielder’s mind and turned it to madness, or so the old man had said. Renault didn’t really believe that part of the story, for no sword could have a mind of its own, could it?

From there, Lazarus had told Renault that his entire childhood was a lie. Everything that he had been taught from birth was a lie. Only as a mercenary had Renault seen the truth, and the day he picked up a sword had been the day his eyes had been opened. Of course, Renault merely scoffed at the man, but Lazarus continued his story. And it wasn’t a sketchy story either; it had been filled with details. Where Renault could find the dojo, who ran it, what time of day to go, and many other pieces of information.

Lazarus had succeeded in enticing Renault, that much was obvious. Nox had no reason to believe the old man, but here he was, waiting for his chance to claim the cursed sword as his own. Whatever Lazarus goal was, it seemed that he would achieve it.

But Renault had no time to further contemplate exactly why Lazarus had told him this information, for the mercenary’s mind snapped back into focus as he heard a door open. Immediately Renault stood up and looked towards the opening door before him, wondering just who would appear from it. It wouldn’t be his father, would it?

The Last Wolf
04-06-06, 11:59 PM
It wasn’t. No, this man was certainly not his father. Renault had been away from his home for a long time, but there was no way this man before him could be his father. The man who entered the room was far too young and well built to be his father, unless perhaps the old man had found the Fountain Of Youth.

The man was easily over six feet tall and had blonde hair with sideburns that extended halfway down his face. To be honest, the man looked like he belonged in a bar instead of in a disciplined dojo. The younger student immediately sat down near the exit while the newcomer took a seat in front of Renault.

“Greetings. My name is Bruno. What brings you to our dojo?” Said the man as he bowed towards Renault. It irritated the mercenary that people would so easily bow to a stranger just out of politeness; in Renault’s opinion a person shouldn’t bow to anybody unless it was deserved. Bowing to strangers had always left a foul taste in his mouth, which was why Nox felt his muscles tense as he returned the bow. I must keep the ruse up for just a bit longer…

“I simply wish to test my might against your fine warriors. Nothing more.” Said Renault simply, although that was certainly a lie. Well, if a lie was the worst sin he committed today, then Renault would be a very lucky man. An extremely lucky man.

“I assumed as much. I have seen many of your types in my years here. Unfortunately, you have come at a rather unfortunate time. You see, most of our students have recently graduated, leaving very few here to meet your challenge.” Said Bruno as he began to rise. Of course, Renault knew that most of the students would be gone. That too was information supplied by that crazy old man.

“Does that mean that no one here will accept my challenge?” Asked Nox, although he really didn’t care about the answer. No matter what happened Renault had every intention of retrieving his sword; the amount of blood he would have to spill was trivial to him.

“Of course not. We have our honor to uphold after all. It simply means that instead of facing rookies, you will face me. I’m afraid I’m quite skilled.” Boasted Bruno as the student who had been sitting in the corner handed him a wooden practice sword. Renault too was given one of the practice blades, and as he stood up a sinister smile crept across his hidden face.

Now here is something I can deal with. A pity I can’t use a real sword to strike this fool down, but I suppose I’ll just save that type of fun for later. Thought Renault as he twirled the blade in his hand. His foe gripped the wooden sword with both hands while Renault held his sword in his usual one-handed stance. It was about time the fun started.

Bruno immediately lunged forward with a vertical strike, but Renault read the attack instantly and parried the blow with ease. The mercenary almost wanted to let out a sadistic laugh, but restrained himself from doing so. This was, after all, suppose to be a practice match.

Bruno recovered from his attack and swung his sword low, aiming for Renault’s right leg. Yet once again, Nox easily predicted the move and in no time blocked the attack. It was at this time the mercenary let out a loud sigh. He knew exactly what type of man Bruno was.

Bruno was all talk and no skill. The man had probably had his share of fights, but they were all probably practice matches where there had been no real threat. There was no doubt in Renault’s mind that this Bruno fellow had won a few of those matches, and henceforth considered himself skilled. It was sad that he had never faced a man like Renault before, because Bruno had no idea what he was in for.

Renault Nox was not a nice man. As a mercenary, cutting men down was his business and Nox liked to think he was pretty good at it. But Renault took his job one step further. He, unlike this fool before him, loved to fight. The clashing of swords, the sparks in the air, Renault loved all of it. But more importantly Renault loved the feeling of victory over a worthy opponent, yet weaklings like this man before him only irritated him. This irritation came out in the form of a kick, which connected with Bruno’s head. While that was a perfectly fair attack in a real battle, most dojo students would consider it dishonorable. This dojo was no exception.

“Just what the hell do you think you’re doing?” Bellowed Bruno as his nose began to drip blood upon the polished floors. The earlier cockiness was gone from the man’s voice and now it dripped with rage. Well, rage mixed with the blood that ran from his broken nose.

“It’s called winning fool. But I guess that’s a foreign concept to you.” Smirked Renault as Bruno let out a loud yell and leaped forward. However, unlike most sadists, Renault didn’t enjoy toying with weak people. Fighting inferior people only frustrated Renault, which was a good enough reason for him to end this sorry little duel.

Renault reversed the direction of his wooden sword so that the hilt of the blade was pointing at Bruno’s face. He then blocked the man’s attack while simultaneously slamming his free hand into the bottom of his wooden blade. This sent the sword flying into Bruno’s already damaged face, but Renault wasn’t done yet.

His frustration had reached a boiling point, and Nox suddenly lost control as he struck the already wounded man before him time and time again. Each time Renault struck the bloody man, a cracking of bones could be heard throughout the room. Whether it was the face, the chest, the ribs, the mercenary didn’t really care. He was pissed.

Nox heard a rustling noise and glanced behind Bruno, letting the man (who was now whimpering) collapse to the ground. It appeared that the other student was going to make a run for it. Well, Renault simply couldn’t allow that to happen. With a sadistic laugh Nox flung his wooden sword at the fleeing boy, striking him in the back of the head. The boy immediately fell to the ground, and a pool of blood began to appear on the floor below the boy’s head.

“Guess that settles that.” Grunted Renault as he picked up his sword from where it lay. He glanced down at the whimpering Bruno and wondered if he should finish the waste of life off, but eventually decided against it. It wasn’t that he actually cared about the man; Renault simply didn’t want to stain his blade with the blood of such a pathetic weakling.

But Nox had to change his mind as he began to head for the door, since when he turned his back he immediately heard the man get up. When he turned, he found that Bruno had somehow gotten a hold of a knife (Renault seriously doubted the dojo issued those out) and was charging full steam towards Renault. What a waste of time.

The knife came downwards as Nox raised his still sheathed blade to block the blow. The sheath easily deflected the small weapon as Renault gripped the hilt of his sword. In an instant the blade shrieked out of its sheath as Renault’s sinister laughter filled the room.

Coolly the mercenary slid the door open, wondering just how soon the dojo would react to that scream. It was a pity, but it seemed that Renault would have to fight his way through the rest of the dojo. Well, maybe it wasn’t that much of a pity. On the bright side, no one knew that the masked swordsman was the master’s son, at least not yet.

Renault pondered his next move as he walked down the hallway, leaving the decapitated body of Bruno behind him.

The Last Wolf
04-07-06, 12:01 AM
“I can’t believe this. Just what type of madman would do this?” This voice echoed through the halls, slightly filled with fear. However, the voice also had a small amount of rage. That was good, rage made people make mistakes.

“Well I can tell you this, just because he beat Bruno doesn’t mean he’s skilled. If you ask me, Bruno was a little too cocky for his own good. What worries me is the pure damage caused by the killer. There’s no finesse here at all, just pure savagery.” Another voice responded. That one seemed calmer then the other man. Calm was not so good, people who were calm made less mistakes.

With his arms crossed and sword sheathed at his side, Renault listened to the conversation. This part of the wall seemed almost paper thin and allowed complete eavesdropping for any listener. Secret passages were such a beautiful thing.

The two men moved away and Nox looked at the passage before him, yet another courtesy of the old man. This dojo sure was something: cursed swords, secret passages, family rivals. This trip was definitely worth his while.

The dojo was supposedly six stories tall, but it was built in an odd way. Two of the stories were apparently underground, or so he had been told. Those were storerooms and the like, as well as one of the master’s bedrooms. Although there was technically only one master, namely Renault’s father, Renault’s brother and sister were also considered masters of the blade. His brother apparently used one of the bottom floors to train his pupils, for apparently his brother had mastered a different fighting style then their father. Renault paid this area no mind, for his destination was not downwards, it was upwards. The only reason the mercenary would care about anything below him would be if his brother was here, but Lazarus had told Nox not to worry about such things. His brother would be nowhere near the dojo, at least for the moment.

The entrance floor would actually be the third floor. Not only was the dojo entrance located here, but most of the students’ rooms were also on this floor. A majority of those rooms were empty at the moment, since all but a few students had left the dojo. Renault had timed his entrance at just the right time; after the majority of the students graduated, but before the new students had joined the dojo. Or perhaps it was Lazarus who planned it. It didn’t really matter; Nox had nothing left to do on this floor except to leave it.

The fourth floor was where the majority of the training occurred. That area held all of the training rooms, as well as various weapons that were commonly used or displayed. Of course, Renault’s weapon would certainly not be on that floor. At the most, Renault would simply have to kill a few more on the fourth floor and move upwards.

The fifth floor was were things got a little interesting. His sister had also mastered another sword style, and her room was on fifth floor. She however, supposedly took very few students under her wing. Those that she did train, however, were supposedly some of the greatest students to ever leave this dojo. Renault desperately wanted to test his skills against some of her students or even his sister, but that would not happen. Like his brother, his sister would not be at the dojo at the moment.

The sixth floor was his goal. It was there that the sword was kept. It was there that his destiny awaited him. It was there that his father would probably be waiting, for unlike his brother and sister his father would be in the dojo. There was no avoiding the battle that Renault was sure would come to pass.

Charles Nox, the father of Renault Nox and creator of the Crimson Edge fighting style. Renault took a moment to think about the man who had raised him. The funny thing was, in the end Renault did not hate his father. The mercenary despised the lies he had been told, but not those who had told him the lies. His father was not a warm man, but nor was he a harsh man. He had raised Renault fairly and well, yet Nox knew very well what would happen.

There was no other way for it to happen. For Renault to attain the blade, he knew he would have to best his father. But his father was a sword master and would not fall easily. Renault in his current state could not beat the man, but if he could only get his hands on the sword he sought, then he would have a chance! He would beat the Crimson Edge style and leave only a Crimson Scar as his victory mark. There was no other way.

His resolve firm, Nox began to walk down the narrow passage before him. He had to do this, for what reason he did not know. Yet he hungered. He hungered for the sword. He had to have the blade. Nothing would stop him, not even his own family.

*~*~*~

The woman was young but skilled. She was only twenty-two, but at her age she had already surpassed most of the other students. Perhaps that was why she was the master’s star pupil. Her looks didn’t hurt either, for she was both beautiful as well as deadly.

Her hair was long and brown, tied into a ponytail at the moment. If she didn’t tie it up it would be flowing all over the place, which wasn’t exactly what you wanted in a fight. Her dark green eyes had a youthful fire in them, something that is usually lost over the passage of time. Her long-sleeve shirt matched the color of her eyes, and somewhat showed off her slender figure. Her jet-black pants, on the other hand, showed off her legs rather well considering how tight they were. Ordinarily she would never dare enter the dojo dressed like this, but when news of a murder had reached her ears she had left the party she was attending and dashed over here in an instant. It was a good thing she wasn’t much of a partier.

The woman’s name was Amelia Greenheart and she was quite deadly. The two swords at her belt weren’t just for show, as she was ready to prove to any man who dared try anything funny. The party was actually a dear friend’s party and Amelia had of coursed agreed to come, and naturally since she was away from the dojo she thought it would be all right to show off her figure a little.

The fact that several of her fellow dojo students were eyeing her however, did not cause her anywhere near as much worry as Bruno’s decapitated body. That was serious cause for concern. Whoever did this would pay, and pay dearly. Strangely, she had never really liked Bruno, but that was not the point. Someone had murdered one of the dojo students and whoever did it had to die for it.

“What should we do?” Asked one of her friends. There were only four of them at the moment, but that should be more then enough. At the very least, the odds would be at worst two on one. Those odds weren’t half bad.

“We find who committed this crime. We can not allow a madman like this to run loose through our dojo.” Amelia replied coolly. They could have told the local authorities, but that was not an option. A dojo that ran for help when attacked would be the laughing stock of every other dojo in the world, as well as anyone who carried a sword.

“What makes you think he’s still here?” Asked another male student. He was young, and was certainly not too keen on the idea of tracking down the man who had left the bloody mess before him.

“The blood that dripped off the attacker’s sword leads into the dojo, not away from it. You would have noticed this if you hadn’t been staring at me.” Amelia shot back with a slight smile. Many swordswomen were often considered cold by most people, and more often then not Amelia had to agree. She, however, tried to keep herself at least a bit “female.” She used a sword, true, but that didn’t mean she had to be an ice queen attacking every man who stared at her.

The three men around her chuckled at the joke, somewhat calming the situation. After all, there were four of them; one lone madman couldn’t beat them all. Not to mention they’d all be stars if they brought down the murderer. The young always had a lust for glory, and that was something that would never change.

“You should have seen the top she was wearing when I went to get her. Who knew our pal Amelia liked to actually be a girl now and then?” Another student said as the group laughed. To them, Amelia was a buddy, and not really an object of affection (that certainly didn’t stop them from taking a quick look now and then). The laughing soon stopped and all four looked at each other. It was Amelia who broke the silence.

“We find this murderer and we kill him, regardless of who he is.” Amelia stated as the four began to walk in the direction the blood trail lead them. If she knew who the attacker was, she might have not said that statement.

The Last Wolf
04-07-06, 12:02 AM
“WHAT A BUNCH OF WEAKLINGS! FIGHT FOOLS!” Cried Renault as his cloaked figure dashed down the hallway. His sword was gripped firmly in his right hand, pointed forward and dripping with blood from a fresh kill. The body of a young student behind the charging mercenary slowly slumped over, signaling its passage into the next world.

Ahead of him, two students ran as fast as they could. It was a pitiful sight really, two people who were supposedly on a journey to master the sword fleeing at the first sight of blood. At least they hadn’t thrown away their swords yet, Renault didn’t know if he would be able to stomach such incompetence. Eventually the hallway lead into a large empty room, which Renault guessed was used for meetings of some sort. The room was completely barren at the moment though, with only the white walls and polished floors to grace the warriors’ entrance.

The doors in this area were different then the sturdy wooden entrance door; these doors were the crappy paper-thin kind. Nox really didn’t like the flimsy nature of these doors, and imagined they were here as a cost-saving option. The dojo would have to build a new one though, considering how the two fleeing students just slammed right through the paper-thin substance. Nox quickly followed suit.

“We fight when we deem it worthy, bastard! Not at your command!” Countered one of the students as he whipped around. The other student did the same, although he was much slower and his face was filled with much more fear. It was clear that the talking one had to die first.

Renault grinned as he saw the students raise their swords. Fighting was what he lived for, and this little exercise was only whetting his appetite for a real battle. Renault ducked his head low in order to avoid a slash by the lesser skilled student, and the mercenary’s cold eyes zeroed in on the more skilled one. Time to meet your maker boy.

The student raised his sword as Renault closed the distance between the two of them. The young student knew that this was a real life or death situation, and someone had to die. He vowed that it would be the insane man before him, but as the student’s sword missed the charging Renault the tip of Renault’s blade shattered the vow the boy made.

The katana easily pierced into the heart of the young man, spraying blood across the polished floors as it did so. The soon-to-be-dead student let out a death cry as he sank to his knees. The remaining student charged at Renault, but the boy was too inexperienced to best the hardened mercenary. Renault whipped around, leaving his katana impaled in the dying boy. Nox’s left hand shot out, catching the unskilled student’s hand as it brought the boy’s sword closer to Renault’s face. Renault sneered at the frightened boy, drinking in every bit of the power he held.

The mercenary slammed his free right hand into the student’s exposed face, sending the boy and his sword sailing across the floor. These damn polished floors cause everything to slide so easily. Thought Renault to himself as he yanked his katana from the now dead foe. He turned to face the remaining student, who at this point had picked up his sword and was fleeing towards one of the doors. Nox had no intention of letting the man escape; he could not after all afford to have someone inform others of his location.

Renault dashed after the fleeing boy, who this time decided to actually open the door instead of just break through it. The student was even nice enough to close the door behind him, as if the flimsy substance would stop the bloodthirsty Renault. Yet Renault raised his eyebrows as the shadow of the young student did not disappear from the paper, but instead remained still. Renault would soon learn why.

As the mercenary charged towards the door, the shadow made a sudden movement. Renault’s eyes went wide as a sword pierced through the paper, aimed right at the head of the sinister mercenary. It appeared that the coward before him was more then he let on to be, and as the sword came at his exposed head Renault could only applaud the young student’s tactic.

“Clever boy.”

The words echoed through the now silent room, a room that had been filled with the sounds of battle only moments ago. Now two swords were pierced through the door, each pointing in opposite directions. One aimed at the insane Renault, and the other at the proud young boy who had finally found the meaning of courage. Simply fighting a duel was not the only way a man could prove his worth. There were other ways to protect that which you cared for.

*~*~*~

“We’re definitely on the right track.” Muttered one of the four students. This room was a bloody mess, and that was in a very literal sense. In the previous hallway, the four students had found one already dead student as well as a blood trail leading in this direction. They now had one dead body in a hallway, as well as another one whose blood was rapidly spreading across this room’s floor.

“Here too.” Muttered another one of Renault’s pursuers as he slid open a door with two holes in it. A streak of blood stained the white canvas door and the cause was evident. The body of a young boy lay dead, his sword still clutched tightly in his hands.

The crowd gathered around the freshly killed body, all depressed at the sight of another fallen comrade. Amelia kneeled down beside the poor boy and closed the student’s eyes for the last time. The sadness in her heart was soon replaced by ever increasing rage; for everywhere she looked a sole man was cutting down her friends. She had known this young man, and even though the two had not been close friends she knew that this boy should not be dead at their feet.

“This killer’s a real bastard, whoever he is. I hope he dies painfully. Look how young this kid is.” Muttered one of the remaining students. All of their sadness was fading, each one finding rage to take its place. Amelia soon motioned towards the blade clutched in the dead boy’s hand.

“This kid was young, but he was skilled. Look at his sword, there’s blood on it. He’s the first student to wound the killer, but he won’t be the last.” Amelia stated coolly as the rest of the students nodded. The blood on the young boy’s sword meant that the killer could bleed, and if he could bleed he could die. He would die.

*~*~*~

“That boy was a damn sight better then the rest. About time I fought someone worthy.” Muttered Renault as he briskly walked down a dimly lit hallway. He slowly reached up and touched his cheek, which now had a pretty deep cut. The blood that dripped from that wound probably wouldn’t be the last of his blood to be spilt on this day, but in the end it would all be worth it.

Ahead of Renault lay a proverbial fork in the road, for the hallway split into two here. Both ways lead to the next floor, but Renault had been instructed to take the right path for whatever reason. Yet Lazarus hadn’t misled him yet, so Renault saw no reason to distrust the old man now.

But it appeared Renault would have to stop and play a little while, for as he headed towards the right path a figure stepped out from the shadows. This man was young; although the boy that had cut his cheek was still by far the youngest.

“You’re him aren’t you? The killer.” The man said to the cloaked figure in front of him. Renault’s cloak still hid his face, and the mercenary decided his face would stay hidden for a good while longer. Eventually these fools would realize whom they fought with, but not yet.

“That’s right. You win the grand prize.” Renault let his words hang in the air as he slowly pointed his sword at the man before him. Damn, Nox hadn’t even had time to clean his blade. That wasn’t good; a warrior should always keep his weapon in top condition no matter the circumstances. Still, perhaps the blood on his blade was what brought fear to the young man’s face. This battle wouldn’t take long.

“I’d ask your name, but I’ve no ears for the dead.”

The Last Wolf
04-07-06, 12:04 AM
“Damn. Here too. This is becoming insane.” Muttered a student as the group of four happened across another fallen warrior. This one lay before a divided hallway, and the group now had to consider which path to take. Should they split up and take separate paths, or move together down only one? If they split up, they would certainly find their target, but they would be forced to face him at a disadvantage. However, if they kept together they could lose their foe, but if they fought it would be a four on one instead of a two on one.

“Well, what’s the plan Amelia?” Asked one of the students. Of the four, she was clearly the most skilled when it came to the sword. However, just because one was skilled with a sword didn’t mean they were skilled at leading. But at the moment, the four needed a leader and Greenheart was just elected.

“We’ll split up. We can’t afford to lose this man, but we won’t fight a two on one. When one group finds him, call for the other. We know this dojo better then him; it won’t take long to catch up.” Decided Amelia. Yet she was wrong in one part of her assessment. With Lazarus’s information, Renault could navigate through this dojo with ease, but there was no way for Amelia to have known that.

*~*~*~

The cloaked figure of Renault walked bristly through the rooms of the dojo. He was on the fourth floor now and only had to pass this one and the next to reach his destination. He seemed to have taken care of most of the students as well, for after he killed the man at the fork he had not seen another soul. Perhaps they were all too afraid to show themselves.

His sword was also clean of blood once more, and it shined like any true warrior’s blade should. Of course, Renault was certain that he’d have to clean it again by the days end. Yet it would all be worth it, all the pain and death he caused would be worth the prize at the end, or so he told himself.

The room that Renault was currently walking through was almost pitch black, which was odd considering it had to be bright outside. Perhaps the dojo kept this room dark for training purposes. After all, fighting in the dark was certainly an important aspect in sword fighting, but that didn’t mean Renault had to like this damn room. It was hard enough just to see where he was going. He nearly ran into a pillar a few moments ago, causing him to curse out loud at the irritation of simply walking.

And two young men had heard that curse. Sadly, Amelia had gone down the left path instead of the right, but here before their eyes was the killer. The cloak figure before them continued his brisk walk, unaware of the two men behind him. Had the two followed Amelia’s plan, perhaps Nox might have not seen the end of the day. But one young man’s rage would ruin the chance before them.

“I don’t give a damn! This man murdered our friends and you expect me to run away from his back? To hell with that, I’m taking his ass out myself!” Whispered one of the two students in a harsh tone. He had actually been friends with two of the people killed by this cloaked figure, and avenging his friends’ death was a desire that burned violently within his soul.

“Be reasonable! You saw what he did to the others! Let’s go get Amelia and deal with him!” Pleaded the more reasonable of the two students. It wasn’t that he didn’t want vengeance; it was just that he didn’t want to die achieving it.

“For Christ’s sake his back is facing us! We can take him down right now! Hell, I can take him down with one blow! We don’t need Amelia! We’ll be stars!” Fired back the anxious student. It wasn’t that he didn’t like Amelia; it was just the normal thirst for glory found in every young man. Maybe the boy thought it was time for a new prodigy to appear at the dojo, and maybe he could be that prodigy.

“Do wanna die? Is that it? He’ll kill you, I know it!” Cried the student in response, but his partner had already made his choice. He would take down this murderer and be a hero, with no problem at all.

“Then you go get Amelia if you’re so scared. I’m finishing this here and now!” Muttered the hot-headed student as he began to move forward. His friend looked at him with fear-laced eyes and decided that fighting was not an option. He immediately turned and began to dart back towards Amelia, while the other man drew his sword and inched closer towards his target.

It was the floor that did it. Wooden floors may look pretty, but if not well made they will make noise when you walk on them. Even if the floor is well made, as time passes so does the quality of the wood. Maybe it was all part of Lazarus’s master plan, but when Renault heard the floor creak behind him he knew what was about to happen.

Nox heard that distinctive sound of a sword leaving its sheath and immediately knew it was time to move. He bent his knees and tumbled to the left as fast as he could. If the boy had just been a few seconds quicker or if the boards had creaked a few seconds later the blade would have found its mark. But the board did creak and the student wasn’t that fast, and in the end Renault dodged the blow that could have ended his life. Instead, the blade only managed to give him a small cut on his side, something that didn’t affect the mercenary in the least.

The boy’s eyes went from pride to fear the instant he realized what went wrong. The killer had dodged the strike aimed at him, and knew was now fully aware of the student’s presence. Why was I so arrogant? DAMN IT WHY? Thought the young man as Renault turned to look at him.

“Aiming for my back eh? Not bad, but Lady Luck isn’t on your side today. Let’s see if she’s on mine.” Said Renault with a sinister smile on his face as he unsheathed his blade. If the boy was relying on surprise to take Nox down, then the boy had just lost surprise. That made for easy pickings.

*~*~*~*~

“AMELIA! AMELIA!” Shouted the young man as he finally managed to catch up with Amelia and the other student. Immediately Amelia whipped around, wondering just what the student was shouting about. Whatever it was, it couldn’t be good.

“What’s the matter? What happened?” Questioned Amelia as her mind began to run through countless doomsday scenarios. Her personal favorite seemed to be the corpse of their beloved master hanging from the ceiling.

“It’s Bruce! He’s fighting the killer all by himself! He wouldn’t listen to me! We’ve got to hurry!” Shouted the near out of breath student. Amelia swore out loud as the group immediately began to backtrack towards the room where Bruce was supposedly fighting. Hopefully the young man would be able to hold out long enough for help to arrive.

But as a powerful slash from Renault caused the boy to stumble backwards, the possibility of holding out did not seem likely. In fact, as the hooded man before him laughed sinisterly, the student could have sworn he was looking at death himself.

“What’s wrong worm? Can’t fight a real fight? Have to rely on sneak attacks? If so, that’s pitiful. I thought this dojo trained swordsmen not assassins, I suppose I was wrong.” Laughed Renault. He had to hurry though, this fool before him was not worth the prize that lay ahead. Every second that passed was another second that his father might do something stupid, like run away. Although Renault certainly didn’t think his father was cowardly enough to do such a thing, one could never be sure.

“SHUT UP YOU BASTARD!” Shouted the student as he shot to his feet and made a wild swing at Renault’s side, but it was too much of a wild swing. Renault’s golden eyes shimmered with delight as he parried the blow and felt his katana taste blood. The boy dropped his sword and collapsed in response. The maggot actually dropped his sword? PATHETIC! HE’S NOT EVEN DEAD YET!

The boy stopped caring about fighting and glory at that moment. All he wanted now was to live, and as Renault cleaned and re-sheathed his blade the boy thought he might just see this day through. But as he felt a foot roll him over, his eyes saw the hooded man standing over him holding the student’s very own sword.

“Why? Why are you doing this? WHAT DO YOU WANT?” Cried the boy, not understanding why this madman did what he did. But there was no reason that could justify the actions taken by Renault on that day, and maybe years later the mercenary would realize that. Even the sinister Renault couldn’t guess the sinister ending that awaited him, but none of that mattered now. All that mattered was the sword he sought. Nothing else.

”May I remind you that you started this fight? And if a maggot like you can’t fight unless he’s guaranteed a win, then I’ve no choice but to bring you ANNIHILATION!” And with that, another death scream pierced the air.

The Last Wolf
04-07-06, 12:08 AM
“I’ve had enough! No more!” Cried Amelia out loud as they found the dead body of the student that had attacked Renault. He lay dead, his face paralyzed with fear. What made it worse was the student’s own sword stuck in his own heart.

There’s a point in every man (and woman) where conscience and reason fade away, and when rage and hate take their place. Everyone has their breaking points, and those points can be different for every person. But nevertheless, people have a point where they just can’t take anymore, and they feel the need for drastic and immediate action. Amelia had just hit that point.

It was just too much for the poor girl. Everywhere she went she was always one step behind the murderer, and every time she was always too late to save a fellow student. Perhaps she was too young to bear the full responsibilities of leadership; maybe if she were a bit older she would have never succumbed to the rage that dwelt within her heart.

A good leader remains calm under the direst of circumstances, for a level head is needed to decide the best course of action. Even if comrades are dying right next to you, a truly good leader will never lose their cool. Of course, people of such caliber are a rare find, and most simply cannot measure up to such expectations. Most people succumb to their hate and make mistakes. Just like Amelia.

“Just calm down Amelia, it’s not your fault.” Comforted one of the remaining students as he placed his hand on Amelia’s shoulder, but she just brushed off the offered comfort. At that moment in time, Greenheart had but one desire, and that was to kill the murderer of her friends. Comfort had no place in her heart.

“SHUT UP! I’m…going…to…kill…that…murderer…NOW! ” Screamed Amelia at the top of her lungs. It was obvious to her that her careful movements had brought nothing but failure. While she had taken her time, one man had struck down her friends. One man. And then Amelia made her mistake.

She ran at full speed, flying through room after room. She wasn’t even searching the rooms now; all she was doing was simply running. In her mind she was searching for the culprit, but at her current speed there was no way she would be able to find him. She’d be lucky if the murderer didn’t hear her coming and strike her down, but Amelia didn’t care about that either. She wanted vengeance, and she wanted it now.

The other two students simply couldn’t keep up. Maybe they were out of shape or maybe they were too hesitant. For whatever reason, they soon lost sight of their leader and were faced with a huge problem. What would their next move be? Should they too blindly charge forward, or act cautiously? The two stared at each before coming to a conclusion.

“Look, there’s no way we can keep up with her. I say we do what we should have done in the first place and find our master. He can solve this problem.” One of the students said to the other. The other student hesitated a moment before replying.

“What about Amelia? What will happen to her?” Questioned the young boy. He did not exactly like the idea of abandoning one of their allies to the mercy of someone who was clearly extremely deadly, not to mention insane.

“She’ll just have to take her chances. Besides, it’s not like she’s useless. She’s one of our best fighters, if she can’t do it neither can we.” It was probably an untrue statement, seeing as how unpredictable things can easily turn the tide of a battle. However, it was enough for the other student to agree with abandoning Amelia. Together, the two began to head towards their master’s room, praying that he would be there.

*~*~*~*~

“Now when you reach the fifth floor, head through the first room and take a left there. Head straight once more after that.” Said Lazarus with a smile upon his face. Renault had simply glared at the old man with hate.

“But that’s away from the sword! My goal is to get the sword, not go sightseeing! What will I gain from taking the wrong way?” Renault had snarled at his advisor. Yet the old man’s smile never so much as twitched.

“Trust me. When you reach this particular room, simply wait a few minutes. It’ll be beneficial to you in the long run.” Replied the enigmatic man. Renault simply grunted with displeasure at the very notion of waiting. He had thought it was a stupid idea.

And yet here he was, waiting. Alone, Nox sat on a simple wooden bench admiring the weapons and armor that adorned this room. There were quite a few here, swords hanging on the wall, armor on stands, a spear or two. All the weapons seemed to be finely crafted, but Renault wanted none of them. He had come here for only one weapon and wouldn’t leave until he had it. Of course, that was if he didn’t die of boredom. Patience is such a pain in the…

“WHERE ARE YOU MURDERER? COME OUT AND FIGHT! ARE YOU SCARED?” A loud female voice shot through the halls, instantly interrupting Renault’s thought process. Whoever they were, they couldn’t be very smart. Only an idiot announced their presence in such a manner. At least the last student had kept himself concealed; this one was asking to be cut down. Renault wondered what type of fool would be gracing his presence now.

A woman huh? Don’t see many of those around places like this. She’s not bad looking either. Pity. Nox thought to himself as the woman burst into the room. Of course, Renault was curious if she would even notice him while she was running at such high speeds. The mercenary was half tempted to leap up and be done with her, but that wouldn’t be much fun now would it? After all, she seemed desperate to meet him.

“You keep running like that and you’ll pass right by me.” Renault coolly stated as the woman froze. She had got about half way through the room before she heard the evil voice. Sad thing was, Nox hadn’t even gotten off the bench yet.

“You…” Amelia muttered, her tone filled with all the rage and hate she could summon. She had found him. The cloaked man in this room was certainly the killer. Greenheart couldn’t even see the man’s face due to the cloak he wore, all she could see was one sinister gold eye. The rest was covered by cloth and shadow.

Amelia whipped around to face her foe; her hands flew to the two blades she kept sheathed at her side. Now was the time to use them. Now as the time to extract the vengeance she longed for. In the next moment the blades were unsheathed and pointed at the lone man sitting on a bench.

“Who are you, you murdering bastard? Tell me so I can know the name of the man I will soon strike down.” Amelia said as she seethed with rage. She desperately wanted to know who this man before her was, but not as desperately as she wanted to see him die.

“Who are you to ask me who I am?” Questioned Renault, who still remained seated. His voice was cool and composed, unlike Amelia’s voice. Renault was unsure whether to be interested or irritated with the woman before him. On one hand, she seemed ready and willing to fight. On the other hand, only a complete fool runs at full speed shouting at the top of their lungs when they’re hunting.

“My name is Amelia Greenheart and I suggest you remember that name well, for I will be the one to end your miserable existence!” Snarled Amelia as she struck her swords together to release some of the rage that was building up within her. The man before her simply let out a soft laugh.

“So you’re Amelia huh? You’re this prodigy I’ve heard so much about? Funny, all I see is a fool who probably isn’t worthy to lick my boots.” Said Renault as he finally stood up. Lazarus had also informed him of this woman, but at the moment Renault thought the old man might have over-exaggerated this woman’s skills. She seemed pretty stupid to Nox.

“Shut your mouth!” Shot back Amelia, whose eyes locked onto the katana sheathed at the man’s waist. So that sword was the one that had dealt the deathblow to so many of her fellow students…

“Watch your tone wench, less you force me to cut your tongue out.” Shot back Renault, his voice filled with a cold hate. With the earlier students, Renault’s voice had been filled with nothing but rage and contempt, but this girl might be different. The stronger the foe the calmer Renault knew he had to be, and supposedly this girl was pretty strong. About time I had a challenge.

“THEN FIGHT COWARD!” Screamed Amelia. She could no longer talk to this man. Greenheart learned what she had wanted to learn, and was completely certain that the man before her deserved to die. Renault simply laughed as he yanked out his katana.

“Oh don’t you worry about that. I’ve every intention of fighting. I just hope you don’t disappoint your dead comrades, Prodigy.” Said Renault with a smile as he saw his hateful eyes sparkle in his reflection on his sword.

The Last Wolf
04-07-06, 12:09 AM
The blades of the two warriors’ clashed into each other repeatedly; causing sparks to dance about the room. Amelia’s face was filled with nothing but hate and contempt for the man before him, while Renault smiled a sinister smile. Now this is fun!

Renault laughed at his thought as Amelia crossed her blades and swung at Renault’s head. Nox ducked at the last second, narrowly avoiding a fate much like that of Bruno. Wasting no time, Nox raised his blade upwards hoping to impale his katana into Amelia’s chest. Greenheart was faster then his previous foes though, and quickly parried the incoming thrust. Instead of anger, Renault simply let out a loud laugh that echoed through the room.

“Not bad Prodigy. Better then the other worms I’ve fought so far, that’s for sure.” Nox said as their blades met once more. The clashing steel shrieked as Amelia lowered one of her blades and raised the other.

“SHUT UP! Don’t you ever talk about them like that!” Screamed Amelia as she swung both of her blades horizontally, one aimed at Renault’s head and the other aimed at his feet. By the end of the move, Nox should either be missing a leg or perhaps a head.

Yet Nox had no intention of receiving such a wound. After all, this fight was just the appetizer; the main course would be the next duel. If Nox took too much damage here, then his father would finish him in an instant.

Quickly Renault raised his blade and blocked the sword aimed at his head, as Amelia’s other blade grew ever closer to his leg. Renault held his breath as he jumped at the last moment, miraculously leaping over Greenheart’s blade. The look on her face was priceless.

Seizing the moment, Nox gave Amelia a hard shove with his free left hand, causing the stunned Amelia to fall backwards. Not interested in showing the slightest bit of mercy, Nox ruthlessly slashed at the fallen woman who barely managed to roll out of the way. Instead of flesh, Nox’s katana struck only the wooden floor at his feet. Amelia quickly brought herself up, slashing wildly as she did so. Her swings weren’t accurate, but they were enough to force Renault back and allow her some breathing room.

“Congratulations Prodigy. You’ve lasted longer then everyone else so far.” Renault said with a smirk on his face. Amelia was picking herself up off the ground now and Nox was considering leaping in for a final blow, but eventually decided against it. If he messed up here, his father would surely cut him down.

“You act as if you’re happy about that.” Grunted Amelia as she raised her swords. In her mind, there was nothing beautiful about death. Swordsmanship, now that could be an art. There could be beauty in the movements of a fighter holding a sword, but Greenheart found no beauty in death. Renault obviously had different views on death.

“Why shouldn’t I be? There’s nothing quite like the thrill of cutting down a strong opponent.” Nox said, as his smile grew even more sinister. Amelia’s eyes flared with hate as he spoke those words, for she knew what the man before her was. He was a maniac.

“Life is a thrill. Death is the end of the thrill, don’t you see that?” Amelia said solemnly as she raised her twin swords. Renault responded by raising his own, yet the two didn’t commence fighting just yet. They weren’t done talking.

“Such cute words. Who taught you them? The dojo master perhaps?” Renault said with a tinge of curiosity in his voice. He was honestly interested if that saying was one of his father’s teachings, but Amelia just shook her head.

“No. My father did. What did your father teach you? How to kill a man? The weak are prey for the strong? Might makes right?” As Amelia said those words, something interesting happened. Renault’s cold smile vanished, and for the first time true hate appeared on Renault’s face. It wasn’t the hate he usually showed, for hate was now a constant thing in his life. Every swing of his sword, every breath he took a testament to his hate for everything. Yet this hate was different.

This hate came deep from within him. This hate would never be directed at another person, for there was only one target for this hate. Only one single person would ever feel the true weight of this hate that lay deep within Renault’s frozen heart. The sole subject of Renault Nox’s true hate was himself.

He hadn’t always been so cold and ruthless. As a child he was no different then any other. He had played with his brother and sister and found contentment as well as joy in such simple activities. But somewhere along the line Renault had changed, and with that change he had slowly buried that young child whose smile had been nothing like Renault’s current smile. That buried child within him hated the man Renault had become.

Amelia saw the change in her foe’s face as well, if only for a moment. She saw the pure hatred in his eyes, but didn’t feel as though the hate was meant for her. Yet she could see what Renault could not, for yet another emotion crossed the face of Renault Nox. That look, what is it? Could it be…sadness?

“Someone like you…could never understand someone like me.” Renault said in a low whisper that Amelia heard nevertheless. She had no time to contemplate the meaning in such a strange statement, for in the next instant Renault flung himself forward with his sword aimed straight for Amelia’s heart.

The blades danced about once more, and sparks flew in every direction. Renault’s katana flew every which way now, causing Amelia to do nothing but defend. Yet it wasn’t enough. Renault’s power began to overrun Amelia’s defenses and cut after cut began to appear on her body. The wounds weren’t deadly in anyway, she couldn’t even feel some of them. Yet she was losing, and that did not sit well with her. Then there was that look on Renault’s face that remained to her an unanswerable question of curiosity.

“Who are you?” Cried Amelia as Renault’s blade grew closer and closer to a deadly strike. Once more Renault’s hate-for-the-world look had taken over his face, and lost once more was the happy child within him. It would be a very long time before that boy would be seen again.

“You really want to know?” Snarled Renault as his blade relentlessly pursued Amelia. His eyes shinned almost violently as Amelia’s blood slowly began to drip to the floor in small quantities.

“I’m a man who had been lied to for all his life! A man who was forever destined to be separated from his family! A man who could never know the love everyone else in his family shared! A man whose only reason to live is the sword he clutches tightly in his hand! I’m that man, and my name is…”

Immediately Renault ceased his attacks and leapt back, creating a bit of breathing space for Amelia who was now focused solely on her foe’s words and not his weapon. As she stared at the man before her Renault reached up and removed the hood that covered his head. Amelia could do nothing but gasp at the no longer hidden face before her.

“My name is Renault Nox, son of Charles Nox! And I will fulfill my destiny…”

The Last Wolf
04-07-06, 12:10 AM
“I like that look on your face Prodigy. Bet you didn’t see this coming.” Sneered Renault as Amelia took several steps backwards. Stuck upon her face was a combination of both shock and horror, all though Renault guessed it was more shock then horror. No one really expected to see the Master’s son rampaging through the dojo.

“But you’re his...He’s your…” Amelia stuttered, now realizing the man who was striking down the Master’s pupils was none other then one of his own sons. Amelia knew who the man was, most of the students did. When Renault had lived in this village, all students were explicitly forbidden from talking to the Master outside of the dojo. The Master had never even really said why, but it didn’t take a genius to figure out that it probably had something to do with the only child of the family who was not part of the dojo.

“That’s right, I’m his son and he’s my father. Like I said before, a fool like you could never understand me. I doubt you even know the reason I’m here.” Renault said as he laughed manically. Soon, very soon he would reach his goal. There was only the matter of dealing with this “Prodigy” before him, and judging by the look on her face she was not in the best of mental conditions.

“Reason? You’ve cut down innocent people! What possible reason could justify that?” Fired off Amelia, finally recovering some of her courage along with some of her hate. She could not forget that this man before her was a murderer, even if he was the son of her Master.

“I’m not here to justify myself. I’ve come for one thing and one thing alone, but if my father didn’t deem you worthy enough to tell you what he hides, then I see no reason to enlighten you.” Shouted Renault as he pointed his blade at Amelia’s heart. In response she raised her twin blades and let out a cry.

“Monster! Demon! Do not insult me!” She cried and lunged once more at Renault, who sneered at her as she came at her. Amelia lashed out with the blade in her right hand, which was soon parried by Renault’s katana. Wasting no time, she followed up quickly by striking at the man with her other sword, but Renault managed to catch her wrist with his free hand.

“Pathetic fool! You know nothing about who I am! You worship the ground my father walks on as if he was a GOD! He’s a fool! You’re all fools!” Snarled Renault as he shoved the woman back. Quickly, he lunged forward spinning his katana in a circular motion in front of him. Amelia instinctively raised her blades to defend herself, but that was a mistake. Renault’s katana caught one of the swords and shoved it into Amelia’s other blade, knocking both of her swords out of his way. She was defenseless.

“Enjoy the taste of devastation!” Nox roared as his katana finally landed a solid hit. Amelia screamed as the blade gashed into her chest, and although the wound was not deep blood now flowed freely onto the polished wooden floors. Renault laughed as he held up his bloodied blade while Amelia struggled to stand up.

“Where’s you Master now Prodigy? Look at you, struggling to stand! The so-called Prodigy of the dojo! HA! MAGGOT! WORM! FILTH! PIECE OF TRASH! DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW?” Screamed Renault as his rage consumed him. His golden eyes shinned sinisterly as Amelia finally managed to stand back up. The man before her was clearly insane, and in his insanity he raged against the world. Amelia knew if he had the chance, he would cut his own father down in an instant.

She leapt forward, twirling her blades as she did so. Renault immediately leapt to the left, raising his katana to fend off the blows from Amelia’s incoming swords. Sparks flashed in front of both of the warrior’s eyes as the their blades locked against each other. Amelia glared Renault as his sinister voice echoed through the room.

“That’s right Prodigy! Fight! Fight for your beloved Master! Die for your Master like a loyal dog!” Amelia’s glare intensified at those words as sparks continued to fall from the clashing weapons. Despite the wound in her chest, Amelia was determined not to give up.

“You’re the dog! He’s your father! He raised you! He loves you!” Shouted Amelia, angered by the words of the man before her. She could never understand the rage Renault held, for she had no idea what it had been like for him. How could she realize the pain of being the sole outcast in an otherwise unified family?

“He lied to me! They all lied to me! CURSE THEM ALL!” Shouted Renault, whose rage had now fully taken over the man. The child within him refused to believe those words, but the madman on the outside found consolation in those cold words. Why should Renault have feelings for people who never had feelings for him?

Amelia suddenly shifted her stance, causing Renault to slightly fall off balance. Seizing the moment, Amelia brought one of her swords close to her chest as Nox snarled at her. Quickly she swung the blade forward as she felt a sudden pain in her shoulder. Renault had used the momentum from his stumble and attempted to turn the stumble into lunge attack, but Amelia had also done damage. As she fell back, her sword cut flesh and she heard her foe grunt in pain.

Renault clutched his wounded side as Amelia gasped in pain. Damn it. I was trying to avoid something like this. I suppose rage got the better of me. But the wound’s not too bad. I can’t lose, not to her! I must keep going! I’m coming for you father! Renault thought as he forced himself up. Amelia was resting on her knees, gasping for breath as she tightly gripped her swords.

“Time to die Prodigy.” Renault said as he slowly made his way towards Amelia. Yet something was different this time. Renault saw the fear in the young girl’s eyes, but instead of a feeling of power he felt something else entirely.

You’re better then this. She’s helpless. There’s no need to continue this match. She can never beat you. Show mercy. The young boy in him cried out as Renault grew closer and closer to the helpless Amelia. But every step he took was another shot of pain, but it was not a pain of the body, it was a pain in the heart.

Wrong boy! This girl is an enemy! She serves my father therefore she serves my enemy! She must die! The must all die! Death to all those who would dare stand in my way! Fired back the raging swordsman who lusted for power. Amelia was only a few feet away now, and she was desperately trying to pick up her weapons. If he moved quickly, she would never be able to defend herself in time.

She is too young to understand. No one could understand. No one understands what it feels like…that doesn’t mean they must die for it. The child pleaded as Renault reached his destination. The girl still hadn’t managed to raise her swords.

Silence! Death! Death to them all! Suffering! Bring them all suffering! Suffer Brother! Suffer Sister! Suffer Father! SUFFER AMELIA! The darkness swept through Renault’s body as he tightly gripped his sword. Amelia still couldn’t find the strength to defend herself against the mercenary.

Renault raised his sword…

The Last Wolf
04-07-06, 12:17 AM
The sword came down like a judge’s gavel, signaling the end of the duel. At least, that’s what it should’ve done. Instead, as the blade came down it clashed into Amelia’s crossed swords that defended her from instant annihilation. Renault let out a scream as he leapt back, his mind dazed and confused. One part of him lusted for power and vengeance while another wished he had never picked up a sword.

Amelia raised herself up, even though she could barely move without shaking. Nox clutched his head with his free hand as he tried to steady himself. If Amelia had the strength she could have ended this fight, but she was too weakened to close the distance between her and Renault. Instead she looked at the man with a puzzled face.

“Why did you hesitate?” She asked the man who was still clutching his head. Nox simply remained silent for several moments, and when he answered his voice was weak and void of its previous rage.

“It wasn’t…I couldn’t…It’s not what…” His voice soon died down to a whisper, and Amelia wasn’t sure what to make of the man before her. It was quite possible that the man had finally lost what bits of sanity he had been so desperately clinging to. Yet Renault soon lowered his hand, and Amelia immediately took a step back.

He had that look again. Once more, the I-Hate-The-World look was once again upon Renault’s face. The man’s golden eyes burned violently as they zeroed in on Amelia, who immediately raised her swords. Quickly she slammed the two hilts of her twin swords together and twisted them, creating a sort of staff with swords on both ends. That didn’t bother Renault in the slightest.

“No mercy! You’re mine!” Cried Renault as the madman once more took over. He dashed across the room, aiming to deal the final blow and kill his foe once and for all. In response Amelia twirled her new weapon, creating a deadly barrier in front of her. It was enough to make even Renault stop his charge.

The mercenary skidded to a stop as Amelia lashed out with her bladed staff, but Nox blocked the incoming strike. Amelia could not understand what in the world was happening to the man before her, and nobody probably could. Desperately the young boy tried to reclaim control of his body, but the swordsman would not allow it. They were in essence the same person, yet the two could not have been more different.

But it appeared that the swordsman was wining since Renault was now feverously slashing at Amelia, who was doing her best to defend against the onslaught. Her new weapon was actually protecting her rather well, but it was too slow to effectively counter Renault’s blazing fast strikes. As such, Amelia had no choice but to focus solely on defense.

And then it all fell apart. With a cry the murderer in Renault seized control of his body once more, and the young child within him that had so desperately fought to save Amelia faded away. Nox brought his blade back and delivered a solid strike right to the area where Amelia had joined her two swords, causing the weapon to break back into two separate swords. Wasting no time, Renault flipped his blade around and slammed the hilt into Amelia’s chest, sending the poor girl flying across the room.

At that point Amelia finally dropped her swords. She was still alive, the hilt blow was not enough to kill her, but as her swords slid out of her reach she knew the fight was over. Nox slowly walked over to her and picked her up. Once more the two locked eyes, and once more Amelia saw hate.

“Any last words Prodigy?” Sneered Renault as he raised his blade. The battle was finally over. Once more the murderous Renault was in control, and no feelings of kindness were left. All he had to do was slay this woman and claim his destiny. Nothing could stop him now, or so the murderer thought. Then something unexpected happened.

“…Mercy…” Amelia said softly. It shouldn’t have made any difference. Other student’s had begged for mercy, and Renault had slaughtered them all the same. Why was she any different? What made her so special? Yet instead of finishing her once and for all, Renault’s eyes flared to life, even if it was a life destined to be filled with hate.

“What…did you just say?” Renault snarled at the girl, his sword poised to make the killer blow. Yet for some reason he couldn’t finish it. Something was stopping him. Why? Why can’t I kill her? WHY?

“I asked for mercy. I beg to have my life spared.” Amelia said, her voice filled with fear. She didn’t know why she said those words; it certainly didn’t prove she was ready to die. In fact, she desperately wanted to live. Despite everything, she still desperately clang to life, and what was even more interesting was the hesitant look on Renault’s face.

Nox snarled as he flung the girl to the floor, his eyes burning with hate. He longed to cut her down. He longed to put an end to her annoying cries, and yet he couldn’t do it. The very thought of letting her live infuriated him, but he could not deal the final blow.

“You WHAT? Have you no honor? You LOST! ACCEPT YOUR DEATH!” Renault screamed violently as Amelia struggled to look him in the eye. Renault’s eyes burned with hate, yet Amelia simply shook her head.

“I don’t want to die. Please…” Amelia begged. Renault snarled at her and raised his sword as she cringed before certain death. But once more the young boy within Renault cried out, stopping the fatal blow.

NO! Leave her be! She is begging for her life! Spare her! For the sake of what you once were spare this one girl!

All will tremble. All will fear. No mercy. No kindness. Darkness. Rage. Hate. That’s all there is.

Renault caught his reflection in his blade and turned to look at it. In his katana he saw his golden eyes, and soon the transformation was complete. Then the mercenary’s cold laugh filled the room as Amelia cringed in fear.

~*~*~*~

The door flew open as Amelia’s body sailed through the room. The room was empty save for three people, as well as one sword that hung on the wall. Amelia’s body skidded across the smooth floor and stopped in front of two young students.

“AMELIA!” One of the students cried as he collapsed to his knees. The other looked behind him towards the sole remaining hope of the dojo. Silently, Sword Master Charles Nox watched as a figure appeared in the doorway.

His hair was black, much like Renault’s. Although several streaks of gray were clearly apparent upon the hair, and it was clear that the man was starting to go bald. Charles’s eyes were a dark blue though, completely unlike Renault’s eyes. And ever so slowly the figure of Renault entered the room.

Renault stood at the room’s entrance, completely still. His eyes were closed and his head was bent low, as if he was looking at the ground. His katana dripped with a small amount of blood that slowly caused little red dots to appear on the floor.

“You son of a bitch…” Cursed one of the students as he reached for his sword. But then Amelia coughed and opened her eyes, signaling that she was not yet dead. Immediately the student on his knees reached for her.

“Amelia? You’re alive?” Amelia nodded in response to the question, as all eyes turned towards the lone man standing in the doorway. Renault made no movements; he didn’t even acknowledge the fact that his father was only ten feet or so away from him. He simply stood there, motionless.

“Master? Shall we attack?” Questioned one of the students, but Charles just shook his head in response. He looked down at Amelia and smiled at her.

“No. You two get her out of here, take her to a doctor immediately.” The students didn’t even hesitate. Immediately they picked the wounded girl up and began to head for a door at the rear of the room. As she was carried away, Amelia whispered her words of apology to her master.

”Forgive me Sensei. I have failed you.” She spoke in a voice as a single tear fell down her from her cheek. Charles simply smiled at her and shook his head. His calm voice echoed through the room, although Renault had still not opened his eyes.

“No child. It is I who should ask for forgiveness. I have failed you; you have done nothing wrong. It is I who should beg for forgiveness.” Replied Charles as the three students left the room. Finally, Father and Son were alone.

“My dear son. You are still alive…” Whispered Charles, although it was loud enough for Renault to hear. Finally, Renault raised his head and opened his eyes to look upon the man who had raised him. His next words would break his father’s heart.

“Your son is dead. His last act was to let that girl live. All that remains of him now is a bitter moat of hate, rage, and madness. The boy you raised is gone forever.” Said Renault to his father, and although the man made now outward signs of emotion he inwardly cringed.

“The fact that you spared that girl is proof enough that my son still lives. He is too stubborn to simply disappear.” Said Charles with a sad smile on his face. Renault merely shook his head and stepped into the room as the door slammed shut behind him.

“Believe what you will. You know why I’m here. I’ve come to fulfill my destiny.” Renault said as he stopped moving. His father was only five feet away from him now, and he could feel the old man’s power.

“Renault. The sword is cursed, do you care so little about your family? Do you care so little about yourself? If you’re here for the blade, then you must know the legend…” Renault raised his katana and pointed it at his father. Seeing his son raise his sword against him was enough to make even the Great Charles Nox stop talking.

“Lies. Nothing but lies. How could you know what disaster the sword will bring if its never been wielded. You can hide behind your legends and curses all you want, but I will have that blade. I’ll test this curse myself, and see with my own eyes whether or not this legend has any meaning.” Charles just shook his head at his son.

“How has it come to this? Son, I love you. All of us loved you. Can’t you see that?” Charles said, but Renault’s will was unshakable. The last threads of sanity had finally unraveled, and although Amelia had been spared her life the young Renault Nox was all but gone.

“More lies. You lied to me. All of you. How can you love someone if you build their life on a foundation of lies? I don’t want to hear that it was for my own protection, or any other storybook nonsense. This isn’t about love anyways. This is about my birthright.” And as Renault spoke those words hate shinned clearly within his golden eyes, and Charles knew what he had to do. He would hate himself for doing so, but Charles would have to strike down his own son. The question was would he be able to do so?

“Forgive me Son.” Said Charles as he unsheathed his blade. Charles’s sword was extremely well made, and the katana shinned with brilliance. Charles’s katana was a bit larger then Renault’s, meaning he would be forced to use two hands to wield it, but it would also be stronger. None of this mattered to Renault.

“Forgive me Father.”

The Last Wolf
04-07-06, 12:17 AM
Nox felt his entire body tense up. His father stood only five feet away from him, sword drawn and ready. This was it. The man before the mercenary was the last obstacle in Renault’s path. If Renault won this duel, the sword was his. For the first time in a long while, Renault actually felt nervous before a battle. Yet as he locked eyes with his father, he knew there was no turning back.

“Let’s go.”

As soon as the words had left Renault’s lips the duel had begun. Renault rushed forward and aimed a stab at his father’s left leg, hoping to cripple the man. Yet Charles parried the blow almost instantly and swung back at Renault’s head. Nox ducked at the last minute and swiped at his father’s chest. Charles struck his son’s katana aside and grabbed his son’s coat.

“Is that all? You’ll have to do better then that if you want the sword my son.” Said Charles, although his voice was one of sadness and the insult lacked any form of conviction. That meant little to Renault, who kicked himself off his father and immediately regained his footing.

“I’m just getting warmed up. Trust me.” Renault replied as he lunged once more at his father, yet once more his attack missed. His father struck his chest with the hilt of his katana and Renault grunted as he felt the wind leave his chest. Had Charles wanted to, he probably could have finished Renault in that moment, but instead he shoved Renault to the ground, still reluctant to take the life of his son.

“Really? Then try to stay on your feet for longer then two minutes!” Charles said as his son snarled at him. Even though Charles knew what he had to do, his conscience still told him that killing his son was wrong, no matter how depraved the boy was.

“Old senile fool! You talk too much!” Screamed Renault as he shot up and spun his blade around, causing his father to leap a few steps back. Nox gazed at his father with contempt now, loathing the man before him. All the mercenary wanted at the moment was the sword, nothing else mattered.

This time it was Charles that went on the offensive, lashing at Renault’s wounded side. Nox quickly realized the danger of his father’s attack and immediately blocked the blow with his katana. Yet his father was years above him in skill, and Charles was able to defeat Renault’s defense in an instant.

Quickly Charles delivered a harsh kick to Renault’s exposed leg, causing his son to grunt in pain as well as slightly stumble. Wasting no time, Charles spun about and extended his leg, quickly sweeping Renault off his feet and onto the floor. Charles gripped his large katana tightly and pointed downwards towards his son.

“Forgive me Renault.” His father whispered as he plunged his blade downwards, but Renault smiled as he quickly rolled to the side and narrowly avoided a killer blow. Immediately Renault leapt to his feet, smashing his father’s jaw with the hilt of his blade.

“No forgiveness!” Renault cried as he attempted to finish of his startled father, who had thought the battle was over. Yet Charles managed to raise his blade and protect his head from Renault’s sword, which eagerly lusted for blood. The swords scrapped against each other, sending a piercing noise throughout the room.

“Impressive. You would have made a fine pupil.” His father said as a soft smile appeared on his lips. His son was fighting hard, and the father in him could not help to be proud of the man before him. Renault shouldn’t of lasted five seconds against someone of Charles caliber, but somehow the boy managed to stay alive. It was impressive, as well as heartbreaking.

“Yes, well, we’ll never know now will we?” Renault snarled as he spun about and stabbed at his father’s head, yet the mercenary stood shocked as his father grabbed his wrist and stopped Renault’s sword from landing what would have been the deathblow. Charles then stabbed his blade forward, but found himself equally shocked when Renault mimicked him by grabbing his father’s wrist and stopping the attack.

Together the two swordsmen stood, each defending and attacking at the same time. With one hand each tried to end their foes life, while with the other hand they tried to save their own. Finally, Charles broke the stalemate by kicking Renault back, causing the mercenary to stumble and fall. Renault quickly rolled backwards, barely avoiding the end of his father’s sword.

“You can’t beat me Renault. To fight me is futile. Give up this madness.” Charles begged his son, as he reached out a hand towards Renault. The mercenary, however, simply sprung back up and glared at his father.

“Silence. I have no ears for the dead!” Renault spat at his father, who sighed with a heavy breath as he heard those words. Charles gripped his katana tightly and stared at his son. The boy was beyond hope. There was only one solution to end this madness.

“So be it. You brought this on yourself.” Muttered Charles as his son screamed at him and lunged forward, but Charles quickly spun to the side and slashed at his son’s exposed back, and this time Charles’s blade tasted blood.

Undaunted by the minor wound Renault spun around, not even considering defeat for a moment. Once more he swung his sword at his father’s head, but Charles quickly ducked the blade and slashed at Renault’s knee. The boy grunted as his father’s katana drew blood once more, yet the boy still would not admit defeat.

The mercenary slashed downwards, forcing his father to raise his sword or else risk Renault’s blade slice into his head. But this time it was Charles’s turn to stand stunned, for Renault quickly brought his unwounded leg upwards and kneed his father squarely in the chest. Charles let out a gasp of air as Nox flipped his blade upside down and swung it sideways, cutting into his father’s chest. Charles stumbled backwards as his son swung at him again, but Charles quickly smacked the sword aside. Renault simply laughed.

“See? You’re not so tough. You bleed just as your students did, and you’ll die like them too.” Sneered Renault as his father smiled sadly at him. Renault wondered why the old man was smiling, until Charles pointed at Renault’s blade.

“You should take better care of your sword. Even an apprentice knows a blade must be cared for at all times.” His father said as Renault’s mouth dropped open in shock. In the center of the mercenary’s sword, there was a single crack. Yet even a single crack could mean death in a duel like this one. Renault was now out a serious disadvantage.

How did that happen? Did that old man really do this with one swipe of his sword, or did I just put to much pressure on the blade when I dealt with his students? This can’t be. I can’t beat him with this. Renault thought as he pondered what to do. His father, however, simply stood up and pointed his blade at Renault.

“You’ve lost my son. It’s over. With but one swing of my sword, I can cut your broken blade in two. Time for you to call it quits.” Yet Renault was too far-gone for this threat to have any meaning. Renault would have fought on even if he had nothing but his bare hands left, for his madness knew no limits.

“Tough talk. Let’s see if you can back it up.” Said Renault as he positioned himself for one last attack against his father. It was all or nothing now. Charles simply shook his head as he gripped his katana with both hands and raised it above his head.

“A true warrior knows when he’s bested. He knows when to admit defeat.” Charles said, making one last desperate attempt to talk some reason into his son. Yet his boy simply glared at him and prepared to strike.

“Then I guess you’d better step aside.” Muttered Renault as he drew his blade backwards. He had to end the fight with this blow or at least think of some plan, for if the battle kept on down this path the mercenary would surely lose.

At that point the son’s blade clashed against the father’s sword, and a loud cracking noise could be heard.

The Last Wolf
04-07-06, 12:18 AM
A loud screeching noise could be heard throughout the dojo, somewhat similar to the sound of a human scream. But this sound was slightly different, for its pitch was just a bit higher than most screams. The noise lasted only for an instant, and was then gone. As soon as the noise vanished, a shinny object hit the ground. When that shiny object hit the ground, Renault could do nothing but stare at his now shattered sword.

It can’t be…he couldn’t have…its impossible… Renault silently thought to himself as his gaze remained transfixed on the broken blade in his hand. More than half of the sword had broken off, possibly as much as three-fourths of the blade. Renault’s sole companion, which had never faltered before, now lay devastated.

Charles slowly lowered his blade, which seemed to shine even brighter now that it had crushed the sword that Renault had wielded. As far as his father was concerned, Renault was finished. The boy had fought well, extremely well, but now with no blade the young mercenary did not have a chance. The broken sword in Renault’s hand could in no way defend him from the furry of attacks his father could unleash on him if he so chose to.

No! This cannot be! I’ve come so far only to…lose? Renault thought with a look of complete and utter surprise on his face. He was so close to his goal, so close to obtaining his birthright! He could feel the cursed sword call out his name, but with the broken blade in his hand, there was no way for Renault to answer that call.

“Now it is truly over my son. You have fought well, and despite all you have done I acknowledge your strength as a warrior.” Charles closed his eyes as he spoke, deciding what path to take. Even though the young man was his son, as long as Renault lived he would be a danger to his entire family, and yet Charles had no wish to kill his own son. Yet the old man had to wonder if Renault was even listening to him, for the boy would not remove his gaze from his broken sword.

“Over? Over? It’s not over! It’ll never be over! I’ll never let this grudge I hold die!” Screamed Renault in a voice filled with rage and disgust for the world. Instinctively Renault raised his sword, momentarily forgetting that the blade in his hand was nearly useless. His father just shook his head.

“Try if you like my son. With that shattered sword, you cannot hope to win.” Charles said coolly, not even lifting his sword. If Renault came at him with that wrecked blade, Charles was extremely confident that he could repel his son’s attack. Renault knew it as well.

He’s right; I can’t win with this broken blade. I need to get my hands on another sword, but how? Renault’s head raced with stratagems and plans, none of which would work. As long as his father had his eyes on him Renault would never get his hands on what he sought. Ever so slowly Renault’s golden eyes drifted to the lonely blade that hung on the wall. Soon enough, Charles caught sight of this.

“Don’t even try it.” Charles shot at his son, but Renault’s cool grin was re-appearing on the young man’s face. The boy had a plan, even though it was a desperate plan. Renault raised his broken sword as if he would attempt to attack despite his obvious disadvantage and sneered at his father.

“I’m not one of your lap dogs! Don’t tell me what to do ever again!” Snarled Renault as he brought his sword back. Charles quickly raised his blade to defend, but even the aged swordsman was slightly shocked when the insane man before him didn’t charge forward. Instead, his son brought his hand back and flung his shattered sword at his father’s head. It only took a second for Charles to bat aside the incoming sword, but in that one second Charles lost sight of his son. Immediately the old man’s eyes flung to the sword on the wall, desperately seeking the sight of the young mercenary.

But Renault wasn’t heading for that particular sword.

The young boy slammed through the paper-thin door before him, easily crushing the frail object to the ground. He heard the blasted thing snap as he stepped on what remained of the door, but he didn’t care about that. His father had most likely figured out the ruse by now, which meant Renault had about fifteen seconds before a sword ended up in his back.

You see my young boy; only a fool would put a cursed blade on display for everyone to see. Your father is no fool. Any sword in plain sight is not your sword. Your sword is elsewhere.

Lazarus’s words echoed in Renault’s ears as sweat dripped down from his forehead. The young man’s feet slammed into the wooden floor below him, sending an echo through the empty hall. He was only a few feet away from where the sword slept. Just a few more feet to go…

Renault slammed into the empty room before him, his father only mere seconds away from doing the same. It was a simple room, with only a small bed and a table to decorate it. There was a bookcase tucked away in the corner, filled with books. Renault imagined that most of them had something to do with swords. All in all, it was a very modest room for a dojo master. The bed was extremely small, just large enough to hold one person. Renault doubted his father used it much.

The young mercenary easily flipped the small bed over while his eyes darted to the now revealed prize strapped to the bottom of the bed. Renault could hear his father’s footsteps at an ever increasing rate, signaling that soon enough the man would be right next to the young mercenary. It didn’t matter any more though.

It was a remarkably plain sword. Its sheath was jet black just like Renault’s hair color, except that light would occasionally reflect off the sheath, although how it did that was a bit beyond Renault. Perhaps it was the way the sheath had been made or maybe it just seemed to shine in only Renault’s eyes.

The hilt wasn’t much different. It too was entirely black, save for the golden hilt guard that clearly stood out from the rest of the sword. If it wasn’t for that hilt guard there was a chance that most people would simply mistake the deadly weapon for a wooden sword of sorts. But there was no doubt in Renault’s mind. This was it.

Charles finally burst into the room where Renault was, only to have his jaw drop to the floor. As soon as he had entered the room, Charles witnessed Renault yank the blade free from the straps that held it to the bed. Charles stood stunned as his son turned to face him, tightly clutching the sheathed Muramasa in his hand.

It was as if the blade was made for him. It was slightly longer than his previous sword, but only by several inches. Even though it was in its sheath, Renault felt as if the blade was already a part of him. The longing inside of him vanished as he held that cursed sword in his hand, savoring the moment.

“Son, Do not unsheathe that sword!” His father ordered him, finally showing the traces of fear hidden within him. Renault simply raised the sheathed blade in front of his insane eyes.

Blood trickled onto the wooden floor. Crimson red blood fell from above and graced the cold floor below with its presence. But it wasn’t Charles blood. It was Renault’s. Taken by some small surprise, Renault gently touched his right cheek to find blood dripping from the cut he had there. Renault stood momentarily puzzled at the sight of his own blood. That wound had closed a while ago.

“I heard a tale once. If someone who hates you above all things manages to cut you, the wound won’t heal and will continue to bleed. Who gave you that cut?” Charles asked his son. Renault clutched the Muramasa tightly, but did not draw it.

“Some young boy. I don’t even know his name. That nameless boy was the only one other then Amelia who was able to cut me, but her wound feels fine.” Muttered Renault as he checked his side. It was still tender there, but most of the bleeding had stopped. The cut on his cheek however bled as if it were just made.

“That is because you spared her life. Amelia’s life continues, and she feels many emotions about you. Certainly hate, but I’d imagine curiosity and maybe even some small understanding if she knew your side of the story. But not the boy.” Renault locked eyes with his father as the old man spoke. Charles wasn’t even preparing to attack; instead his father was focusing on the story he told.

“Now the boy you killed, I believe his name might have been Kojiro Seta. In any case, that’s my youngest student here. A young boy, long brown hair along with dark blue eyes?” Asked Charles, who received a nod from Renault. Charles inwardly cringed at that moment, that boy was far too young to be dead already.

“I thought as much. When he died, all his rage and hate left a taint on you. That sword brings out that taint, and as long as you hold the Muramasa that wound will never heal. It is the reason you killed the boy after all. Do you see just how dangerous that sword in your hand is?” Asked his father as his voice died down. Yet in his heart, Charles knew that his son was already lost.

A wound that never heals eh? Hate that never dies? A sword that attaches both to me? Small prices to pay for my prize. Thought Renault with a sneer. His father sighed with sadness when he saw the look on his son’s face.

And then Renault unsheathed the blade.

The Last Wolf
04-07-06, 01:51 AM
Hunger. That’s what he had felt before. Renault had hungered like a man who had been starved for days. Renault’s sole desire had been to grip the sword in his hands. For that, he had bled and killed. For something he saw as his birthright, Renault had no problem cutting short the life of anyone who had stood in his way. Save for that stupid girl, all who had faced Renault’s recently shattered blade had fallen. The hunger he seethed with consumed all, including the young man Renault had once been.

Yet suddenly, if only for a moment, the hunger vanished. For but a single moment in time, Renault felt at peace with himself. Finally, he had achieved his dream. Anyone who has ever coveted something (good or bad), and managed to achieve it, would understand the feeling. Achieving something a person longs for is a magical moment, one that can vanish in an instant. But in that instant, everything is right with the world.

And then the hunger returned. Hunger filled with hate and malice. Renault’s objective was achieved, but he was not finished. Technically, Renault could make his escape now, for Renault’s objective had never been to kill his father. But something was different now. This new hunger was fed on hatred, and that hatred was now directed at his father. The man had lied to Renault all his life, and he should pay for it. He would pay for it.

“Hahaha. A perfect weapon, just like I as was told. Hmph, so as I recall a great tragedy is suppose to befall our family now that this blade is within my grasp. What say you father? Are you in the mood for a little tragedy?” Renault snickered as he pointed the Muramasa at his father. Red wisps of energy seemed to dance off the blade, as if the sword was happy to once more be in the hands of a swordsman. Perhaps the blade was.

“My dear son…what have you done?” Charles said as a sudden pain shot through his entire body. Yet Renault had nothing to do with that particular pain. The pain that Charles was now experiencing was not a pain of the flesh, but rather a pain of the heart. For now, his son had just died.

“I’m fulfilling my destiny old man. And I’m afraid you aren’t a part of it. Now, I’m in the mood to test out my new toy, and I need a victim. So how about we start round two? I hope you were holding back some, otherwise I’m going to rip your lying face off!” Screamed Renault as he lunged forward. Charles brought his blade overhead in order to strike at his son, but everything was crystal clear to the young man now. Renault quickly raised his blade to protect his head, while Renault’s knee slammed into the stomach of his father. Charles felt the wind leave his chest as he felt Renault shove him backwards.

“What’s wrong? You’re slower this time around. Something happen?” Laughed Renault as he twirled the Muramasa about. The lies that he had been fed were now coming back to haunt his father, and the pain for daring to commit such a crime was now something Renault hungered to inflict. They never loved me. I’ll rip this liar’s throat out.

“You wouldn’t understand if I told you.” Muttered Charles as he slowly walked backwards, tightly gripping his sword as he did so. The two warriors were now back in the previous room; the place where Renault’s previous sword lay shattered. Charles quickly stepped forward and struck out at Renault’s injured side, but the young Nox quickly blocked the old man’s blade, elbowing his father as he did so. A look of complete shock and horror crossed his father’s face as Charles took even more steps back.

“Of course I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t understand because you would tell me a rotten lie, just like you have my entire life. You can’t really understand a lie you know. Once you know you’ve been lied to, it eats you away from deep inside, slowly devouring you.” Renault said he lifted the Muramasa. The blade felt so perfect, as if it was made for Renault. Such a marvelous blade, it truly deserved to be used and not to sit tucked away under a bed. No sword ever has a need for peace.

“You wouldn’t understand because you don’t understand the concept of love. We loved you, that’s why we lied. You don’t know how much it hurts to fight someone you love.” Charles said as he found himself against pressed against the wall. There was but one place left to run to, yet Charles did not know if running would help at the moment. But Charles was skilled enough to know that he was in too much shock to fight efficiently.

“One cannot know love if he’s never been loved. And you can’t love someone and lie to them their entire life. I’m afraid it just doesn’t work like that father. But it was all for naught. All your lies, they did nothing. I have the sword, and now I’ll have your life!” Sneered Renault as he lashed out with the Muramasa. Reacting quickly, Charles ducked and rolled to the left, causing Renault’s sword to cut nothing but the wall before him. The young Nox cursed as his father slammed through the only unopened door and vanished from Renault’s sight.

High atop the fifth floor there was but one long beam about four feet wide. This beam stretched across a large opening, with nothing below it save for the ground far below. This room was specifically designed as a final test for students, forcing them to concentrate while fighting across the narrow beam. Those whose concentration broke would fall downwards, plummeting a good number of feet before crashing into the ground. When in use, a net was stretched across the bottom to catch anyone unlucky enough to fall. Yet since this battle wasn’t planned, there was no net to catch a falling fighter. To fall from here was to fall about three stories downwards.

Charles stood alone in the middle of the beam. Perhaps Renault would take the chance to escape, but deep within his heart Charles knew no such thing would happen. Renault was out for blood, and wouldn’t stop until Charles lay dead. Charles knew that Renault was not in the same class as he was, but the emotional trauma was finally getting to the aged sword master. Both his mind and heart were wrecked at the prospect of killing or being killed by his very own son. And then Renault appeared in the doorway.

Crimson blood poured from the wound on Renault’s check, dripping down across his clothes and to the floor. Renault’s face was coated with a mix of sweat and blood, and a small yet crazed smile was fixed upon his face. His jet-black hair was slicked back, and the young man’s golden eyes shimmered with madness. Renault gripped the Muramasa tightly, and the sword responded by flickering with red wisps of energy. The man that stood before Charles was not his son, but rather a deranged killer with a grudge against the world. No mercy would be shown to the wounded man who stood alone.

“It’s time father. This will be the last time we meet. Here you will pay for your crimes. Here is where you will fall. I will strike you down father, with the sword that you hid from me. How perfectly ironic.” Sneered Renault. His father looked below to the empty ground and let out one last sigh. It seemed there was no escaping from the man before him. Renault had been right after all; you couldn’t lie to someone forever and expect to get away with it, even if you did it out of love.

“So be it. If one of us must fall, then that is the way it must be. But my son…no, you are not my son. My son is dead. You are a shell, without a soul to call your own. You try to fill a void within you with the lives of others, but it doesn’t work does it? You’re still as empty as ever, aren’t you? You will fall, Renault Nox.” Spoke Charles as he raised his blade. Renault smiled sinisterly and began to walk across the beam towards his father, finally prepared to finish this duel.

“You’re wrong old man. It’s you that will fall. You will be the first to have a taste of my cursed blade, but I swear, you won’t be the last.”

The Last Wolf
05-03-06, 03:20 AM
A small crowd had gathered in the dojo now, for when the two young students had brought Amelia’s bruised and battered body into town, the secret was out. A madman was loose, and there was no telling just who his next target would be. Yet all remained still in one place, and as their gazes rose upwards, the shouts of two men could be heard and the sparks of their swords could be seen.

“You’re getting slow! Or maybe I’m just getting faster? Either way, you’re about to join you’re students!” Shouted Renault as he ducked his father’s sword and lunged forward, stabbing as he did so. Charles quickly brought his blade back to defend his exposed chest, only to receive an elbow in the face.

“That’s the problem with youth! Always too damn cocky!” Yelled Charles as a trickle of blood dripped down his cheek. Unfazed by the blow, the old man raised his sword above his head, summoning up all the power he could muster. He had shattered his son’s sword before, and he could shatter it again. Renault just laughed and crouched low, eagerly anticipating his father’s attack.

“That’s the problem with old folks! Always too damn full of themselves!” Cried Renault as Charles’s blade came crashing down. Renault held his blade above his head in order to defend against the deadly blow, but in truth that was but a ruse. Right before the two blades crashed into one another Renault yanked his blade backwards and stepped to his left, nearly falling off the beam. But the mercenary did not fall, and a look of shock appeared on Charles’s face as Renault quickly regained his balance and smashed his left hand into his father’s nose.

“Like I said, too old and too slow. Prepare yourself old man!” Screamed Renault as he rushed forward to finish off the stumbling man before him. Charles swung his katana towards Renault’s head, hoping to behead the attacker in one smooth strike, but that was not to be. Renault slide to his knees, using his free left hand as support in order to make sure he did not plummet to his death. The Muramasa lashed forward as Renault slid, shredding the legs of Charles Nox. Blood began to fall towards the crowd below just as Renault slammed the hilt of his blade into his father’s chin. The old man stumbled backwards once more, this time falling to his wounded knees.

“You’re a waste of space. Time to die, filthy maggot.” Sneered Renault as he stood bag up, tightly gripping the Muramasa as he did so. Raw power coursed through the mercenary’s veins, and the crippled man before him was nothing. Charles Nox was a useless worm in the eyes of his son, and it was time to squash this particular worm.

“Letting you live would be a crime! As long as I draw breath, I’ll put a stop to your madness!” Responded Charles as he leapt to his feet, sending a spray of blood gushing out from his own knees. As the extreme pain seared upwards, Charles flung his sword at the chest of his son, praying that the blade would hit his mark. But this story is no fairytale, and good does not always triumph over evil.

Renault quickly reversed the Muramasa so that the hilt was pointing upwards and the blade pointed downwards in front of Renault’s exposed chest. With a sinister smile and a look of malice Renault batted aside the oncoming blade, sending it spiraling down to the small crowd gathered below. At that moment Charles’s knees finally gave out, and the aged swordsman fell forwards, right into the Muramasa.

“You’ll stop me as long as you draw breath eh? Well now, I can think of a simple solution to that.” Said Renault in a low voice so that only he and his father could hear the words. Blood ran down the Muramasa now, bathing the blade in red-hot liquid. Charles gasped for breath as he felt his feet leave the ground and the Muramasa was yanked from his chest.

A loud laugh echoed through the entire dojo as Charles fell downwards. A sick, maniacal laugh ran through every corner of the building. Every onlooker felt a chill shoot up their spine as they heard that laugh. It was a disgusting laugh, filling everyone’s stomach with repulsion. It was the last thing that Charles Nox heard as he plummeted downwards, finally stopping when his bloodstained body crashed into the wooden flows below. Instantly the crowd swarmed around the fallen man, desperate to see if he was still alive. Renault simply stretched out his hands towards the sky and continued to laugh.

“MUHAHAHA! POWER SEETHES WITHIN ME!” Cried the mercenary as the crowd turned as one to look upwards. By that time the Muramasa was once more resting in its sheath, and Renault’s cloak once more hid his face from the world. All the crowd could make out were two golden eyes looking at them, and one final word from the cloaked figure.

“Maggots.”

And then the figure vanished from sight.

The Last Wolf
05-16-06, 01:16 AM
The doctor sighed as he opened the wooden door, finally finished with his patient. His glove-covered hands had a good deal of blood upon them, which was no surprise considering just how badly the man had been injured. Actually, the doctor was quite surprised that the man had even managed to survive at all. But then again, Charles Nox was known as quite the man of resilience.

It didn’t take long at all for a young man with dark brown hair and light blue eyes to rush up to the tired physician. The doctor figured he should be used to family members wanting to know how their wounded father was doing, but the doctor was still caught by surprise. The young man dashing forward would be Brendan Nox, while the young lady with black hair hanging about in the corner would be Karla Nox. Too be honest, both of them sort of freaked the doctor out.

“Well? Is he okay?” Snapped the young Brendan Nox, causing the doctor to nod his head. Brendan breathed a heavy sigh of relief, while Karla simply continued to lean against the wall with her arms crossed, as if the welfare of her father was not at all important to her. Swordswomen. Such an ice-cold lot. Thought the doctor as he yanked off his gloves.

“As far as his life goes, he’ll live. Although I should tell you this, your father is paralyzed from the waist down.” As the doctor finished speaking Brendan immediately leapt back as if the doctor had slapped the young man in the face. This time, Karla actually raised her head slightly.

“What the hell? I thought you said he was all right?” Shouted Brendan, a look of anger upon his face. Both he and his sister had already heard just who exactly put their father in his current situation, and neither were exactly happy about it, although Karla was obviously keeping her emotion in check much better than her younger brother.

“He is okay. He is alive. Quite frankly, after having his legs slashed open and falling down what I would guess several stories, he’s lucky to be alive. A lesser man would be dead. I’m no miracle worker.” Brendan glared at the doctor for his coldness, but that didn’t really bother the man. After all, his hospital had a strict “no swords” policy, which these two people had obviously decided to ignore since they both had swords strapped to their belts.

“I don’t pretend to know the whole story here, but it’s obvious something bad happened, otherwise you two shouldn’t be in my hospital with swords. Yet, this is obviously an emotional time, so why don’t you talk to your father? It’ll make him feel better.” The doctor grunted as Brendan quickly rushed passed him. The doctor merely shook his head, irritated by the lack of appreciation. Yet he nearly jumped out of his skin when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

“Thanks for your help.” Muttered Karla softly as the doctor turned to finally get a good look at her. Dressed in all black, with the exception of a single white scarf, Karla Nox was actually quite a beauty (in a sort of cold, scary way). The woman wore a long black skirt, which ended near her feet, and although the skirt was somewhat tight with small slits at both sides it showed no skin what so ever. What skin would have been shown was covered by a pair of black pants tucked away into her boots, denoting that the outfit was for comfort in fighting and not to draw the attention of young men. Her black hair was cut short, and although her bangs covered most of her eyes the doctor noticed that they were the darkest of blue. In another life, Karla Nox could have been quite the catch.

“Don’t mention it.” The doctor managed to stutter, quickly trying to regain his composure. He probably shouldn’t be rating this woman on her looks while her father lay crippled in the next room. But if Karla knew what was on the doctor’s mind, she didn’t show it. She simply nodded and headed after her brother.

~*~*~*~*

Hungrily Renault gripped the Muramasa. It was finally his. All his waiting, all his hunger, it had all paid off. He had what he sought, a sword that was his birthright. At this moment, he had completely forgotten what he had done to his father; his attention was solely focused on the prize in front of him.

“Lazarus was right. You are a prize worthy of me. I’ll make good use of you, my friend. You have no need of peace. You belong in the hands of a warrior. You belong in the hands of me!” Seethed Renault, as the seemingly empty forest around him responding with a slight gust of wind. Here Renault hid, taking a moment to admire his prize and savor the moment.

But Renault Nox was no fool. He knew that his acts in town would have attracted the attention of many. No doubt his brother and sister were already weeping at his father’s side. Of course, eventually they’d both stop weeping and seek him out for vengeance. He would have to deal with the two of them very soon, which wasn’t a good thing considering Renault had pushed himself to the breaking point to beat his father. There was no doubt in his mind that his brother and sister would also push him to the edge. But with the Muramasa by his side, Renault would simply cut them down like he did the old man. My father wasn’t able to stop me. I’ll be damned if those two do any better.

Leaning against a tree several yards away, the figure of Lazarus coolly leaned against a tree. His purple cloak covered his entire body, leaving only a wicked smile to be seen. Renault had no idea that Lazarus was watching him, which made sense because the young man was entirely focused on the blade in his hands.

“Well done Renault. Well done indeed. It will be interesting to see how this story unfolds.” Whispered Lazarus to himself. He was looking forwards to the events that would transpire around that cursed blade as well as the Nox family. There was no telling just what exactly could happen, and that made the story all the more interesting. Yes. It shall be a very interesting story indeed.

~*~*~*~

”That son of a bitch! I’m gonna cut him to pieces for this!” Screamed Brendan as he kicked the tree that Karla was leaning against. Their father was asleep now, obviously exhausted from the day’s events. Now Brendan and Karla were standing under the night air, next to a single solitary tree. It was ironic that Brendan, Karla, and Renault used to play under this very tree.

“I mean, how could he sink so low? We’re his family!” Shouted Brendan, receiving no reaction from his sister. Puzzled, he looked up at her to find her staring at her hand. Upon closer inspection, Brendan discovered she was staring at an object being held in her hand.

“Do you remember this? It was a birthday present for me. I had just turned eighteen. You both wanted to give me something special…” Said Karla as she held up the object. It was a purple locket, attached to a gold necklace. Brendan recognized it in an instant. Both he and Renault had worked for months to save up the money for the thing, but both had agreed it was worth it when they saw their sister smile. Inside the locket, if Brendan recalled correctly, Karla had placed a picture of the three of them standing by this very tree. Both Renault and Brendan had been somewhat embarrassed, both figured she would use it to keep a picture of some random guy.

“Karla…those days are dead.” Brendan whispered sadly. Karla just closed her eyes and clutched the locket tightly. Perhaps it was Brendan’s imagination, but he could have sworn he saw a look of pain appear for but a moment on his sister’s usually cool and collected face. He would have been surprised to know that in her mind Karla’s response was: Just because those days are dead doesn’t mean Renault is. Is this all our fault? We looked him in the eye and lied to him everyday of his life. We said it was because we loved him, but didn’t our love cause this? It was us who made him an outcast. Could all of this have just been avoided if we just told him the truth?

Silently Karla put the necklace back around her neck and tucked the locket underneath the scarf. Brendan turned around to stare back towards the town. He was nowhere near as conflicted as his sister in this matter. In his mind, Renault Nox was already dead. It just needed to be made official.

“Sis…I know how you feel…but he’s a murderer. He must pay for what he has done.” Brendan whispered softly, not looking at his sister. If he had, he would have seen a look of sorrow in his sister’s eyes. Instead of looking back towards her, Brendan simply clenched his fist.

Don’t worry sis. I’ll take care of him myself. There’s no need for you to go through any more pain. I’ll kill our brother.

Spoils
The Muramasa: A sword similar to Renault’s former blade that is said to drive its wielder mad. It contains great power, all of which is naturally completely inaccessible to Renault. With time, he’ll learn to harness the power within the blade, but at the moment it functions no differently than an ordinary one-handed steel katana.

Black Cloak: A simple black leather cloak with a hood that extends down Renault’s back. The hood covers the upper portion of Renault’s head, leaving only a small glimpse of his eyes to be seen. The cloak itself can be wrapped around Renault's entire body, though it offers little protection from weapons. Rather, Renault uses it to keep his face and weapon hidden from sight.

INDK
05-20-06, 05:00 PM
Well Last Wolf, this is my first judging since returning. I apologize for any judging rust I have to work out of the system. If you have any comments, questions or think I made a mistake with the arithmetic anywhere, feel free to PM me or talk to me on AIM (AIM is Modern Day Paladin).

Total Score= 56.5. Good job! This was a pleasant read, with some weaknesses, but enough strengths to amount to a thread that was more than above average.

Introduction – 5 I really felt this introduction was quite good past the first six paragraphs. While establishing setting is a good thing, especially if you’re trying to convey some kind of ambiance, you spent too much time on things I didn’t really need to read. This introduction gave me a very good impression of what Renault was setting out to do, and it set a tone very emphatically, mostly because of the strengths of your writing style. It was also lacking a bit in character, especially because I felt I would want to know more about what Renault’s unique history meant to him. I would either reevaluate your setting choice, or settle for a more sparse setting in your introduction. Also, you should have done a better job at telling me what your character knew, as opposed to what your character didn’t know in this introduction. For most of the thread, I was confused as to whether or not he knew the history of the blade.

Setting – 4 My problem with setting isn’t as much your physical settings, though as the thread progressed this was the one area in which your writing slipped. There is something more important I need to impress on you. In any thread, but particularly in threads in Other Regions where there is no preset culture, you need to fill in things about the kinds of people and society you are in. Also, like I said in introduction, be judicious with what you choose to include and not include.

Strategy – 6 There were flashes of creativity here, but the effort was inconsistent. Also, I had trouble believing Renault was as good as a swordsman as you made him out to be, given how much these people have trained. The hack and slash was quite disappointing in that way. Besting Amelia was far too easy. I did like your descriptions of the battle, and the crack in the sword was a very nice touch.

Dialogue – 3.5 My big problem here is that all your characters essentially sound the same, and that your dialogue doesn’t change according to the situation. This leads to more unrealistic dialogue and makes it something that detracts from your thread instead of making it stronger. Imagine how your characters would sound if they were tired, or if they were concentrating on something else. Also, using adverbs after your sentences can help. You also need to be a bit more conscious about how you structure your dialogue within your sentences. While this is a writing style issue, it limits how much emotion you can convey with dialogue. Good dialogue makes showing character that much easier. At times, your dialogue bordered a bit too much on melodrama as well. Lines like “I’ve no choice but to bring you ANIHILATION” or “MUHAHAHA! POWER SEETHES WITHIN ME!” just seem a bit too over the top.

Character – 5.5 This is a very creative premise for a character. That said, you really need to work on developing him. Merely interpreting things from Renault’s perspective will help you get better scores here. Your problems with character and problems with dialogue are quite similar. Both are a bit too generic. A good character doesn’t just have an interesting history and have unique experiences. Both of those are important, but the character that is experiencing these events matters just as much. You began to get depth with the climax, but it was a bit too late. In many ways, your failures in this category in the early parts of this thread lead to take some of the gloss off very good work later on.

Rising Action – 6.5 The part with Bruno was a bit poor, but the overall quality of this thread began to increase once Renault went off on his killing spree. You set up your climax very well. If it wasn’t for the fact that the early parts of thread would have killed it had I been reading casually instead of as a judge, I can’t score you nearly as high as the later points deserve.

Climax –7 The scene with the father was great. The dialogue and character approaching the climax was much better than it was in the earlier part of the thread.

Conclusion – 6 I don’t really have too many comments here. I feel the conclusion didn’t nearly have the effort that the climax did, but the only real advice I have otherwise is just steer away from clichés.

Writing Style – 5 Most of the time, I really like the way you use punctuation to highlight the sentences and phrases that are most important. There are a few loose errors here and there with your punctuation, particularly around speech parts. Try and avoid using brackets as much as possible. I have a few other little quibbles; 1) Do not use your character’s first and last name interchangeably to refer to him. Pick one. 2) Be careful with your use of pronouns and epithets such as “the child” or “the man.” I have to know who you are talking about. 3) Keep the brevity comment in mind that I made in introduction.

There is a lot of unnecessary usage of quotation marks in this thread. Unless if you want to imply that something is alleged and not actually the case, you don’t use quotations. I’m pulling up a couple of examples for you right here of the things you should fix. Both of these are from your intro.

The town had all the necessary buildings for those who would call themselves an “adventurer.”
So the man clenched his teeth and continued his walk, drinking in every detail of the place that he had once called “home.”

In both cases, the words in quotations are terms expressed. However, unless you want to imply that those people aren’t really adventurers or that place isn’t really where the man’s home was, you don’t need those quotation marks.

Wild Card – 8 This wasn’t the greatest thread I have ever read, but I think you have a lot of potential. There were flashes here of brilliance, but overall the thread was lacking. With time, you’ll be getting scores that you can be very proud of.

Spoils= The Last Wolf is granted the spoils he requested and 300 GP
EXP= 700 EXP