PDA

View Full Version : EXP Transfer

Valentine
04-30-08, 11:41 AM
From when the reincarnation rule was implemented until now, I was always under the impression that if characters were to be reincarnated with the reincarnatee receiving 1/2 of the original character's EXP, the reincarnatee had to be a new character. A few hours ago, I talked to Cyrus after seeing that Falcon received half of the EXP from an old account even though the receiving character was not a new character created with the sole intention of being a reincarnatee. I ask because I have a few dead accounts that I don't want anymore and would very much like the EXP to be handed to Kade or Raelyse.

Cyrus says that even though Falcon's character was not created for the express purpose of reincarnation, he had 0 EXP so it doesn't really make a difference. I agreed.

Then I see this (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=15375). To the best of my knowledge, Veatrix did not have 0 EXP when this reincarnation takes place. If she is allowed to transfer EXP, someone please tell me why I cannot.

I don't want to pick bones or deny Veatrix her EXP, I just want clarification of this rule.

Bloodrose
04-30-08, 11:51 AM
My understanding of the rule was that any transfer of EXP had to be declared before the new character is even approved. 0 EXP or not, EXP shouldn't be transfered to any account once the current character on that account has been approved for play.

If this still holds true, then both instances cited above would be incorrect in how they were handled. If the rule has been changed, then another moderator can feel free to correct me.

Karuka
04-30-08, 11:54 AM
My understanding of it was that it had to be done before the character had been played, whether or not it had been approved. Shyam told me he did that for Djakara.

Zook Murnig
04-30-08, 11:57 AM
May I say that I know exactly how much EXP was transferred. 1990 from the old account and 995 to Veatrix. If this decision is overturned, I will set things as they were.

However, I believe a similar transaction took place approximately a year ago between two of Call me J's alts, Workout Wonder and Djakara. In fact, he had worked it then such that all of Kdex's gold and equipment was distributed among several people who stopped him from completely destroying Underwood. Among them, Djakara.

That is the precedent that I used to base my decision off of.

Bloodrose
04-30-08, 12:38 PM
Seeing as there was a precedent, I don't doubt for an instant that the recent EXP transfers were done in good faith. It just raises further issues about the clarity of the rules so that everyone is on the same page.

If Djakara was an approved and played character prior to benefiting from the transfer from WW (I'm assuming he'd have to have been played to have stopped WW from destroying Underwood), then shouldn't Valentine be able to transfer what he wants based on that precedent?

Or conversely, if the ability to transfer EXP goes away once a character has been RPed with, then wouldn't we want to revert Veatrix and Falcon (if he RPed with his current character prior to posting his transfer request) back to maintain consistency?

Canen Darkflight
04-30-08, 01:08 PM
If I may make a quick comment here.

I spoke to Witchblade last night about this, because I was unsure myself. The whole idea was that Falcon Darkflight (my original account) had earned most, if not all, of its exp from Canen Darkflight, the character. I accept maybe a hundred or so exp would have come from Bannon, but anyway. Witchblade (and by NO means am I pinning the blame on her, she does a wonderful job here and it's not her fault) confirmed I could do this. Cyrus (again, no blame pinned) approved it, which to me, confirms that it was ok (I would imagine that Cyrus would have commented if he thought it wrong. HE's been here a long time). At least until I saw this.

I understand your methods for reincarnation as noted above. If someone feels the need to "make things fair", I understand.

My only issue is that, from my point of view, that exp amounts to a LOT of time spent on this forum, even only for what was a level two character. It's hard enough as it is to earn exp and level up here. I don't see why it should be an issue if we are reincarnating for the right reason, by this I mean not just creating accounts to exp whore or anything like that.

This was a geniune enquiry that got followed up. I will accept whatever the mods think, but I just think that under the right circumstances it would be a little unfair to penalise for that.

Raelyse
04-30-08, 01:15 PM
Why were you allowed to transfer all the EXP (5000+) from Canen (Character) to Bane?

But that's not the real issue. You aren't the cheese that I'm having. The problem is why Veatrix who had been writing with the Veatrix character with at least one thread, was suddenly allowed to add EXP from one account to the other?

About a year ago, I got bored and tired with Kade before I found ways to make him interesting and was seriously contemplating reincarnating him, but transferring the EXP to Raelyse's account. I don't really like the reincarnation rule, because I think it cheapens a character. You spend time writing with that character and yes, he / she gets stale, but you've already made the commitment.

I just want to know where the line is with this whole reincarnation / adding EXP thing is. I don't have an axe to grind, I just want to know because it's confusing.

PS. Damn you, Madison. You picked a great time to disappear.

Bloodrose
04-30-08, 01:20 PM
I'm not particularly advocating that we penalize anyone. I'm just saying that if we are going to have rules surrounding this particular practice, then we should make sure the rules are clear and concise, and that everyone is operating off the same guidelines.

I think half the problem right now is that different people have different interpretations of the rules, plus the issue of set precedents that may or may not violate said rules.

No one here is looking to take people's EXP from them just to make a point, we're just looking to clarify the rules for everyone and make sure they are applied universally.

Breaker
04-30-08, 01:20 PM
I think the idea that EXP can only be recycled to characters that are reincarnations of old characters is silly. That just encourages a stereotype that has been done to death.

The rules for EXP recycling (there is a thread about it in Character Updates) seem to imply that the character receiving the recycled EXP should be a fresh account, without actually stating it. IMO, that means it's not a rule, just a guideline that needn't necessarily be followed.

If we're going to allow EXP recycling at all (and I think it's a good idea), then anyone should be allowed to do it, at any time, from and to any account. The fact that the account that gives away the EXP becomes extinct should be enough to discourage people from abusing this rule.

Frankly, I don't see any reason why Canen or Veatrix should have to give back their EXP.

EDIT: Wow, I got ninja'd by two people. Oh well, what I said still applies I believe. On a side note, Canen says both Witchblade and Cyrus approved his EXP transfer, which to my mind makes it legit. Those two are pretty much the authority on RoG stuff, especially with two of our admins on hiatus.

Canen Darkflight
04-30-08, 01:21 PM
Why were you allowed to transfer all the EXP (5000+) from Canen (Character) to Bane?

That's a good point Raelyse. I guess it slipped through the net, I must admit that I hadn't paid attention to the exp amount left on the account when I had made a seperate account for Canen and put Bannon on Falcon's account.

-

I get a bad feeling i'm going to be demonised here, but thanks to the above for the support.

I would just like a little clarification though quickly, because tonight me and Kaiser are starting a new thread and I was intending to use the new profile: Can I use this profile or not? Better to ask permission now than be fooked later.

Bloodrose
04-30-08, 01:33 PM
You've got little to worry about here, Canen. Considering that you acted in good faith, and dealt through the proper channels, then any retraction on the part of the moderator staff shouldn't reflect badly on you. I'd say you're free and clear to use your new profile, and you can always discuss the situation with the thread's judge when/if something changes.

Canen Darkflight
04-30-08, 02:56 PM
Thank you Bloodrose, I appreciate it.

Djakara
04-30-08, 03:25 PM
May I say that I know exactly how much EXP was transferred. 1990 from the old account and 995 to Veatrix. If this decision is overturned, I will set things as they were.

However, I believe a similar transaction took place approximately a year ago between two of Call me J's alts, Workout Wonder and Djakara. In fact, he had worked it then such that all of Kdex's gold and equipment was distributed among several people who stopped him from completely destroying Underwood. Among them, Djakara.

That is the precedent that I used to base my decision off of.

Actually you have what happened slightly screwed up. While I did role play with the Djakara character before I transfered Kedx's EXP, the EXP I earned for Djakara pre transfer was deleted and I received half of the Workout Wonder EXP. For some reason, Raven also insisted on giving me level 0 EXP for the thread you brought up there, even though I had already completed the transfer by then.

Also, it should be added that Djakara got no more spoils from the "defeat Kedx" thread than anyone else who participated, and arguably less than some others that took other items of his.

I don't give a crap about what you do in this case, but following the Djakara precendent, Veatrix should have lost all of the EXP on the Veatrix account to have gained the Elazaar EXP.

Also, I'd like to say that in my opinion, no decisions that have been made in the past, unless made recently, should be undone if they hurt the players. To do so would be to punish players for the mods' mistakes. I only posted this to prevent further mistakes.

Serilliant
04-30-08, 04:55 PM
In the interest of transparency, I will announce that the staff is currently discussing this issue and that we will arrive at a uniform implementation of the experience transfer rules shortly. Whatever the outcome may be, however, it will only be applied prospectively. Even if the recent transfers in question go against the newly solidified policy, they will be permitted. No retroactive actions will be taken.

Please feel free to continue to discuss the issue. Any ideas anyone may wish to share in this thread will be taken under advisement. Sorry for the confusion.

Cyrus the virus
04-30-08, 05:04 PM
The EXP reincarnation in this case was fine. The reincarnation idea, created by Dissinger, was meant to allow people to give up on a character they were no longer interested in and give a boost to a new one.

Now, Falcon's new character wasn't 'new' in the sense that it'd just been created. But it had 0 EXP. The difference between a brand new character and a character with 0 EXP is... what? One has been sitting around a bit longer?

So I don't really understand the confusion. As long as he has 0 EXP, I consider him eligible for receiving EXP in this method.

EXP transfers from one account to another, and reincarnation EXP from one account to another, non-new account, is not allowed. We've allowed it before, evidently, but it's not policy or anything.

Canen Darkflight
04-30-08, 05:55 PM
I think a concrete rule in this respect should be that if a character, with the right intentions i.e "not created for the purpose of exp whoring", and with absolutely NO exp whatsoever would like to destroy an old account and recieve half the exp, he/she should be entitled to.

My arguement is not as much the exp itself. When someone posts on this forum they are making an effort, usually, to put some creativity onto the forum, expending time and energy and contributing to what is already possibly the best RP site on the web.

I think that under the circumstances given above, people should be allowed to kill off their old accounts in order to "start fresh". For one, it will motivate them to develop newer characters and start over. Two, it will possibly rid the site of all those dormant accounts and three, it allows the user to have a little piece of their past work to show for it.

Thoughts?

Cyrus the virus
04-30-08, 05:59 PM
I don't understand what you're proposing, as people can already do that. Maybe I'm not reading your post right.

Canen Darkflight
04-30-08, 06:04 PM
I apologise mate, I think I misread your post earlier. I was under the impression that characters were only allowed to resurrect if they were "brand spanking new", not just sitting there with 0 exp.

Ignore my post above, chaps.

Cyrus the virus
04-30-08, 06:07 PM
Yeah. That's not the be-all-end-all jist of it, but that's the way I've always seen it. It just makes sense to me.

But like Ser said, we're talking about it in the mod forum to get it all worked out and set in stone. If anyone has suggestions or ideas, feel free to pitch 'em out there.

Veatrix
04-30-08, 06:10 PM
Transfers like mine seem fine to me. EXP whoring takes a lot of work, so either way, creativity is laid out on the Althanas table, just as Canen said. It's natural for a writer to forget about an older character, but it would be nice to have the rewards of their writing from that older character mixed in with a new one.

Yes, this is both a suggestion, opinion and a covering-my-ass type of thing.

Cyrus the virus
04-30-08, 07:46 PM
I suppose that does sound alright, really.

Godhand
04-30-08, 10:53 PM
As long as the person getting the exp is below level one, I don't see what the big fucking problem is.

Serilliant
05-03-08, 10:50 PM
After some discussion, we have decided to allow experience transfers as this OOC "reincarnation" system to any level 0 character with 0 experience. If the character you would like to transfer experience to has already completed a thread and has experience points, however, you cannot use this system.

I would also like to remind everyone that the Althanas staff is extremely flexible with quite literally anything that you can justify in-character. Which means that if you come up with an awesome story idea that ends in a logical transition of a character's experience points to another, we are likely to approve it. The "reincarnation" system for new characters is simply an easier mechanism to go about this. Doing things IC is always preferred and is an available option to anyone in all situations.

I hope this clears up the confusion on the issue. Thank you, everyone, for your patience! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Zook Murnig
05-03-08, 11:27 PM
Let the soul-consumption threads begin!

Yggdrasil
05-04-08, 11:56 AM
*has a bad mental image of Cell from Dragon Ball Z*

so if people start to absorb there other characters they get half there exp?

oh now thats gonna create some interesting scenes

Canen Darkflight
05-05-08, 07:40 AM
*Painfully awaits a new character from the Kai/Ygg/Kially factory built for this purpose*

No, seriously though, i'm glad there is at least some solid agreement on the matter.

Lakin_of_DpN
07-03-08, 08:41 PM
On the subject of EXP,

Is there a thread explaining the EXP system?

Edit: I was sent the link. Thanks.

Raelyse
07-03-08, 08:57 PM
http://althanas.com/world/faq.php?faq=exp#faq_introexp

Lakin_of_DpN
07-03-08, 09:03 PM
Thanks.

I have the link, but I clicked on the one you posted just cause you're awesome for answering so swiftly.