PDA

View Full Version : In Times of Crisis

Logan
05-10-08, 07:44 PM
Had it really been that long? Logan scratched his head in disbelief. Valandil Telemnor's army was growing thin, and something had to be done. It was humorous how just recently a band of mercenaries had come to the aide of the failing and dwindling ranks of the army, yet it was also a sad reminder of the true state of affairs. Thoracis had pinned himself in his place of dwelling for many moons, and had left the psion with no other choice but to step up and rekindle the army's fire. Jotting down a few words on the parchment before him, the psion's eyes raged red in fury. He would not let the army's soldiers down, and he wouldn't let Thoracis down either.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Two days later

Logan approached the podeum. A few hundred soldiers stood before him. He recognized a few faces within the crowd, such as James Banning and Gregory Learies. Those two were inseperable, even in times of great distress. The army was abuzz with the news that the psion might take the reigns of the ailing power group and reignite the flames of passion that drove the soldiers who remained. Raising his hands for silence, the psion began a speach that would be remembered for ages to come.

"My fellow soldiers. My brothers. My sisters. My family. We have fought battles and been victorious in wars together. We have stood against tyranny and oppression for as long as each of us can remember. We, to the last man standing, have fought valiantly and with a ferver and spirit never to be equalled again," the last few words trickled out and sent the entire army into a riotous cheer. After a few moments Logan raised his hands once more to request a silence of the crowd so that he could continue and they obliged.

"We have all stared the evil beast in the eye and with one solid thrust of our spear or our sword have pierced it's black and broken heart. Each of us have fought our own inner demons and won. That is why, my brothers, my sisters, we are here today. That is why we are here in one accord once more. The evil we have slain still beats on, even without a heart. I know it by only one name 'The Heartless' and my brothers and sisters I vow to you that if you will allow me to lead you against this foe, we shall return victorious once more," his hands raised into fists as the entire army once more erupted in cheers. He didn't wait for the ferver to die down this time, however.

"We have stood idly by as The Heartless challenged our very existance. We offered no resistance in hopes that perhaps the end would draw near soon enough. We should all be ashamed of ourselves and pity those who looked to us for protection and support. We are no better than the very evil that vowed to raise a great and illustrious army against our very ranks! Brothers, sisters, for that I offer my sincerest apologies, and I assure you, were Thoracis here, he would do the same," he had quieted the crowd quite suddenly with his last remarks.

"And it is in that very vein that I offer to you an opportunity to return to a time of power and passion. I am offering you, to the last one standing, an opportunity to reignite the flames that once burned so intensely inside yourselves. I am offering all of you the opportunity to once again seize the day! Will you join me," the psion raised his fists in the air and the entire army cheered and whistled in support.

"Then it is settled. Those of you left who wish to follow under the command of a new leader shall form your ranks anew. You shall each follow me to victory. All you must do? Pledge your allegiance to the new leader, that we may not continue to sit in the shadow of Thoracis Rakarth who had abandoned us in our time of need! We must rise up and begin our quest anew! We must not let evil reign," the psion had the full support of every last man and woman before him and he knew it.

Logan
05-10-08, 08:27 PM
Logan stepped down from the platform he had stood on during his speech. James and Gregory both approached quite quickly and with tears in their eyes. They both loved Logan and were happy to see someone finally step up and forge onward with Valandil Telemnor's goals and ideals. James outstretched his hand and Logan shook it with the grip of a man on a mission, "I am glad to see you two were able to make it. I am indebted to the work you both have done over the past few moons with helping me to get the word out." Gregory stepped forward and set his hand atop Logan's and James's hands, "And we are indebted to you, McCloud. It has been far too long since this army has had a leader, and even longer since it's had someone worth following." Logan shook his head.

"I want no ill remarks on our previous leader. Thoracis is a man that regardless of past circumstances I still respect and always will," he said with an air of annoyance at Gregory. James released his grip and nodded his approval, "Thoracis is a man that we all chose to follow, and it is in all due respect that we also choose to follow you, Logan. It is just, and I am sure you understand where we all come from, he's been gone for so long we had lost all hope of seeing anything happen with the army again." The psion smiled, "I know, old friend, I know. But no more. We have begun anew. Fresh from the ashes of a charred corpse of a defunct and extinct army, and we arise with new flesh and a new heart. We shall press onward and forward, never ceasing and never stopping. It is our world to save now."

The other two men nodded and chuckled. Gregory slapped Logan heavily on the back, "You already sound like a leader, McCloud. A damn good one at that." James simply nodded as the three men headed toward the large tent that Logan had pitched for himself as a meeting place for his leadership.

As the three men entered the tent Logan motioned for James and Gregory to take their seats around the map that rested upon the large oaken table. "Gregory and James, we have talked long and hard over the next steps for this army, and shall continue to do so. I want to for the moment draw your attentions to the map of Althanas before you," the hand of psion slid over the parchment map and his finger rested atop a spot that had been marked.

"Gentlemen, you will notice that I have marked Pagration on this map. It is a place of interest and I have already sent a small band of our most loyal soldiers there to scout for us," he spoke softly, but with a confidence few had seen recently. James stood and looked it over carefully, "But Pagration is so insignificant in the overall scheme of things, isn't it?" Logan nodded and questioned all at once, "so?" James opened his mouth but before he could speak Logan continued, "I have word that Pagration may house several criminals who work within a band of very skilled fighters. As such, it is our duty to at least check out this information and verify it's validity."

Gregory sat back in his chair presumably deep in thought, "So, I should suppose that if we find out this information of yours is true, then we will attack?" Logan nodded, "Yes, if it is found that these wretched criminals are harboring themselves within the walls of Pagration then I assure you we will take them down. After all, I have reason to believe Pagration may be a good location to drum up some support for our dwindling ranks and perhaps even some political positioning." The other two men's eyes grew wide.

James countered, "I suppose I don't understand why Pagration though. It is so small in the overall scheme of things." Logan chuckled, "Does that make it any less worthy of our protection? If you were in the middle of a battle of thousands of men and Gregory was fighting by your side and had been struck by an arrow, would you come to his aide?" James turned to Gregory, "Of course I would, he is my brother in battle. By my life I would spare nothing to save him." Gregory smiled as he realized what Logan was saying. "Then why should we allow Pagration to be overrun by those criminals? Is it not our sworn duty to protect Althanas from the wretched pukes who dare try to undermine the order," the psion stood his eyes flaring red with rage once more as the question nearly spat forth from his mouth.

James hmmed loudly, "I suppose, Logan, I can see your point. We should not allow those we consider insignificant to just die. We must go to their aide and instead teach them and train them to fend for themselves!" Logan and Gregory both nodded and laughed. "Right on, James," Gregory nearly sung in adulation.