PDA

View Full Version : Althanas Update Bug Report

Serilliant
05-13-08, 12:12 PM
Althanas has upgraded to a new version. If you have spotted any bugs, please report them here.

Kially Gaith
05-13-08, 01:10 PM
I saw a butterfly today. It was brown and red. <3

You hate me. I know it. ^_^

Saxon
05-13-08, 09:50 PM
My profile looks like its been imported from myspace.

Whats up with that?

Godhand
05-13-08, 10:06 PM
Jesus Christ, I'm glad someone besides me got pissed over that.

Breaker
05-13-08, 10:12 PM
My profile looks like its been imported from myspace.

Whats up with that?

Jesus Christ, I'm glad someone besides me got pissed over that.
Yeah.

Abomination
05-13-08, 10:48 PM
You think it's too much, I believe it's not enough. I won't be satisfied until there is a top 10 friend function.

Ataraxis
05-13-08, 10:51 PM
I want game applications and the ability to spam people with requests.

Godhand
05-13-08, 10:54 PM
Why isn't the picture of my cock loading unto my profile?

P.S I carved "4truth" on it.

Visla Eraclaire
05-14-08, 12:05 AM
I want a "My status" that can constantly be spammed to everyone.

"Visla is currently sitting on her ass."

"Visla is currently changing the channel on her TV"

"Visla is going to the other room to get a bagel."

"Visla is enjoying the bagel"

"Visla has finished the bagel and mourns its passing"

Seriously though, I don't mind it much. The fact that it ate my judgment request was a brief inconvinience. Glad I could test that for you.

Serilliant
05-14-08, 02:14 AM
Everyone: This thread is not to be spammed, but for legitimate bug reports please.

Seriously though, I don't mind it much. The fact that it ate my judgment request was a brief inconvinience. Glad I could test that for you.
Yes, very sorry about that. Our new system of managing judging requests was broken when we ported into the new version. We were aware of this problem and had prepared a workaround. However, I was able to correct it much faster than I expected, so we decided just to have everyone pipe their requests back in. I apologize for anyone I may have inconvenienced. The system is worked as intended now, however.

I'm also not a huge fan of the new profile system either, but I'm going to give it a few days and see if it just takes some getting used to. If not, I'll revert back to the old system. Though seriously, you guys should see the amount of settings regarding the profile that I disabled. Did you know that stock vBulletin actually allows users to customize the colors and layouts of their profiles? Ick.

Canen Darkflight
05-14-08, 02:55 AM
Did you know that stock vBulletin actually allows users to customize the colors and layouts of their profiles? Ick.

Jesus. Myspace Emo Foundation, here we come...

I did spot a legitimate error yesterday but it seems to have corrected itself. On the Evonature skin, the Althanas banner and wrappers wouldn't load, and remained blank, although the actual forum body remained. Seems to be working fine today, though.

Jasmine
05-14-08, 03:02 AM
when you click on the Font color button in "Advanced Edit" mode, the color pallet doesn't expand...and the rest of the buttons slide to the side a bit. This holds true for editing signatures as well as posts.

Auryon
05-14-08, 03:03 AM
It works alright for the boards. But the edit icons for your signature are all F'ed up. The color window will not spread, and the buttons are loose, when you move the cursor above them they slide off to latch where they should be. I already tried IE and FireFox, plus Jasmine says its doing it to her too so I am not half-crazy.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Jasmine! Darn you, woman!

So yeah, I find myself having to use the forum field to edit my signature so I can copy it back into the sig field, and posting it where I shouldn't.

Serilliant
05-14-08, 12:23 PM
Jasmine & Auryon: All fixed. Thank you.

A Nony Mouse
05-14-08, 01:50 PM
I know this is about the profiles that everyone hates, but it still bugs me. If someone has a profile picture loaded and you click on their profile, there is a blank at the top of the page seemingly equally porportionate to the size of their profile picture. If you click on the "Althanas" link instead of going anywhere it just fixes itself.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one this is happening to, I have a very large resolution so it may be possible.

This is also happening to me.

Crystal Suncrest
05-15-08, 09:58 AM
By the way, I keep noticing the chat room seems to be offline.

Channel: #althanas Server: irc.Xelium.net

IMPORTANT: Althanas.com is currently undergoing some technical difficulties at the moment. For more information, please enter the chat and someone should be able to fill you in shortly.

Any idea what this is about and when it will be fixed?

(I know it is nothing new, but it still seems like a bug that needs fixing to me)

Zook Murnig
05-15-08, 06:02 PM
I don't think anyone even uses the chat anymore.

Dissinger
05-15-08, 06:45 PM
I seem to have problems copying and pasting things on the site itself. Not like from a window, but text in a thread, from other peoples posts.

Karuka
05-16-08, 02:03 AM
I had that problem before, and just assumed my computer didn't like me, or it was my internet browser.

Visla Eraclaire
05-16-08, 08:36 AM
I don't think anyone even uses the chat anymore.

Possibly because they can't. I tried to. It's non-functional as best I can tell.

Crystal Suncrest
05-16-08, 08:44 AM
Possibly because they can't. I tried to. It's non-functional as best I can tell.

Exactly my point. It's not like people stopped using it by choice.

A Nony Mouse
05-16-08, 08:59 AM
Exactly my point. It's not like people stopped using it by choice.

People stopped using it far before it went non-functional.

Gem
05-16-08, 09:06 AM
People stopped using it far before it went non-functional.

Maybe so, but not everyone stopped using it then. I know I didn't stop for that reason. The problem is, there are still some people who don't have IM for one reason or another, and though I am not among them, I still feel there should be an easier way for them to contact each other than PM and E-mail.

A Nony Mouse
05-16-08, 09:08 AM
I think those people should just download the free IM software.

Visla Eraclaire
05-16-08, 09:08 AM
It's not as if IRC is exceptionally difficult to get going. The problem seems to be that the server is just defunct. If anyone knows a server, they could set up a channel there themselves. I don't happen to, personally, but someone here must.

Also comparing IMs and IRC is a non-starter. These things are not equivalents, nor are they mutually exclusive.

A Nony Mouse
05-16-08, 09:10 AM
For the purpose of quickly getting in touch with someone they are :P

Gem
05-16-08, 09:12 AM
Before I got IM, (And I had a good reason for not being able to get it) I depended a lot on IRC. Once it went dead, I depended Exclusively on PMs. I only recently was ABLE to get IMs.

Visla Eraclaire
05-16-08, 09:17 AM
For the purpose of quickly getting in touch with someone they are :P

But that isn't IRC's purpose. A chatroom is more community gathering oriented than just "getting in touch with someone". For the purpose of smashing something, a hammer and a very heavy computer both work. That doesn't mean that's the purpose of each.

This is kind of like saying, there's no reason to have meetings because we can all just talk to one another at random over the course of the day. Yes, IMs do have a chat function but it's really awful and everyone has to be manually invited, rather than having a centralized place to meet that's always there.

Mostly, I just really enjoyed IRC when I was young and haven't had reason to use it in a long time.

A Nony Mouse
05-16-08, 09:34 AM
That doesn't mean that's the purpose of each.

Oh, I agree... but that's just how Gem or whoever presented its usefulness :P

Visla Eraclaire
05-16-08, 09:38 AM
Yeah, he was "doing it wrong"

All in all, I won't lose any sleep if IRC never comes (comes back?), but it'd be neat. Neater than the myspace profile.

Raelyse
05-16-08, 09:40 AM
In addition to the problems with the new profile and the big gap, I also notice an aesthetic change. We no longer have the gap in between member or custom title and the member's name. Would like it back, it looks cool.

On another note, I would love for the chat room to be back. It always made for fun. Of all the features that we could have emulated from facebook, the chat feature was the only one I really wanted.

Jack Lancer
05-16-08, 10:31 AM
Oh, I agree... but that's just how Gem or whoever presented its usefulness :P

Gem, Crystal Suncrest, Jack lancer... they are all the same person. Point is, I would like the chat room option available and working please.

Serilliant
05-16-08, 10:57 AM
Again, this thread is for bug reports. "We should have a chat room" is not a bug. But it is a great idea for a new thread.

@Dissinger re Copy and Paste: That sounds like a local issue. I'm afraid I can't help you unless I can reproduce the problem on my own machine. Try a different browser to see if the problem persists and then consult Google.

@Afin & Nony re Gaps in Profile: When the layout of the profile pages were changed, it messed with some of the settings I made to optimize the old layouts. The size limitations for profile pictures, for example, were no longer fully appropriate. Further, the way some themes handle the extra space is not terrific given that the problems weren't foreseeable when they were designed. I'll try to come up with a good solution.

@Raelyse re Postbit Aesthetics: Fixed.

A Nony Mouse
05-16-08, 11:12 AM
Awesome, thanks Serilliant. Also, would a screenshot of said blank space above the profiles help at all?

Camella
05-16-08, 11:29 AM
Alright, I'll make that new topic later tonight, then, but I thought that we had a chat room at one point and then lost it. After all, we do still have a chat room link at the top of the screen, it just leads to a chat room that doesn't work from what I can tell.

Heart of Zaga
05-18-08, 12:31 PM
You know the new tabs you added for the statistics, and contact info under the profiles?

Well when you click both of those tabs, the profile moves down, creating a gap between the link bar and the profile.

I think its because of the free space at the bottom of the page, so when the windows spread they just bring the profile up or down, depending on the tab.

Edit: oh well, it seems that the amount the profile moves depends on the length of each field under the tabs. I checked someone elses and it doesn't do it as much, but mine is pronounced.

Serilliant
05-18-08, 03:19 PM
I can't replicate your problem. Have you upgraded to the latest version of your browser?

A Nony Mouse
05-18-08, 03:41 PM
You know the new tabs you added for the statistics, and contact info under the profiles?

Well when you click both of those tabs, the profile moves down, creating a gap between the link bar and the profile.

I think its because of the free space at the bottom of the page, so when the windows spread they just bring the profile up or down, depending on the tab.

Edit: oh well, it seems that the amount the profile moves depends on the length of each field under the tabs. I checked someone elses and it doesn't do it as much, but mine is pronounced.

same thing happens to me on that profile. my browser is up-to-date.

The Forgotten
05-28-08, 11:04 AM
In the Quick Links dropdown, there's a space between "Mark Forums Read" and "Top Posters". Clicking the empty line opens the buddy list.

Between "Edit Signature" and "Edit Options", there is another empty space that takes you to "Edit your Details".

Between "Subscribed Threads" and "Donate", there is an empty line that takes you to "My Profile".

Skie and Avery
05-28-08, 07:00 PM
In the Quick Links dropdown, there's a space between "Mark Forums Read" and "Top Posters". Clicking the empty line opens the buddy list.

Between "Edit Signature" and "Edit Options", there is another empty space that takes you to "Edit your Details".

Between "Subscribed Threads" and "Donate", there is an empty line that takes you to "My Profile".

Same thing in my drop down box. I hadn't noticed that before...

A Nony Mouse
05-28-08, 07:35 PM
On the profile pages, people's mini statistics are covering their names and member titles.

Lakin_of_DpN
05-31-08, 05:54 AM
I was given the answers to the questions I asked here, so thanks.

Dissinger
06-05-08, 03:18 AM
Spoiler tags don't work.

You can get the spoiler to work, but clicking the button won't reveal the text, so those spoilers won't get spoiled anymore.

Veatrix
06-05-08, 01:40 PM
When you post QUICK REPLIES in all caps, it just makes them all begin with caps, as opposed to having the whole word in caps.

A Nony Mouse
06-05-08, 01:47 PM
Spoiler tags don't work.

You can get the spoiler to work, but clicking the button won't reveal the text, so those spoilers won't get spoiled anymore.

Same with me.

Winterhair
06-05-08, 04:12 PM
Spoiler tags also not working for me. Otherwise, I'm good to go.

Winterhair
06-05-08, 09:55 PM
Double posting:
Calx Vir hasn't been able to get on since Althanas slowed down a couple days ago, only being able to get on proxy sites that don't allow him to log in. He wants to know if its because of the update he can't get on and if there is anyway to fix it.

Dissinger
06-05-08, 10:56 PM
Try erasing your cookies then logging in.

Winterhair
06-05-08, 11:10 PM
Calx says that without using the proxy sites the Althanas site will not even load. On the proxy sites it is strictly viewing only, as it won't allow him to log on due to the fact his IP is not recognized. He says that he thinks his IP had been blocked since he can access Althanas from other computers outside of home, and requests the help/advice of an admin if there is one to be found.

Calx Vir
06-06-08, 11:03 AM
Hello all, I am on a different computer at the moment, so I can discuss this problem myself.

When Althanas slowed down a couple of days ago, I couldn't get on (same as everyone else I assume), I don't know what it is, but I can't get on at all now on my home computer. I tried using the Althanas DNS in the address bar, thinking it might've been a DNS error, it didn't work, I called my ISP, they don't know what's up. I use Mozilla Firefox and everytime I try and load, it gives the error "The connection has timed out." and when I try IE (Internet Explorer) it loads for a minute then comes up on a search engine instead of loading Althanas, as if I had typed "Althanas" in google.

I can view Althanas at home still, but only by connecting to the internet via a manual proxy configuration, in which case I can't log in unless I paid money to the proxy provider. It loads fine when I'm using a web proxy, but direct connection to the internet won't.

I assumed it could have been from the fact that my IP was somehow blocked during the Althanas slow-down or something, because using web proxies hides my IP, so Althanas can't block me. I may be wrong, but I desperately want to know what's wrong. It isn't a computer error either, because we have a Mac that the family uses, and I still can't get on there. So it might not even be an IP error. But in any case, on my computer any other site works just fine, only Althanas.

I posted this under this thread because it could be a possible bug, I don't know exactly. Sorry for this novel, and I had already tried erasing my cookies 100 times, as well as erasing my cache, extending page load time, and even increasing the size of the cache. Nothing has worked, I keep getting the Timed Out error. I've also looked on numerous Firefox support sites to look for help, but nothing seems to address my problem so I assume it was a problem with, well, I don't know...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I seem to be able to log on using an anonymous web proxy that I found, a web site that lets me type in Althanas into it's address bar and it filters me through to here, and thankfully I can log in. Though this doesn't solve the problem, at least I can log on here at home. Though, things like editing text (bold, italic, etc) won't work while in the web proxy. So this still strengthens my assumption that my IP might be blocked, because when going through this site's proxy server, Althanas loads up perfectly fine.

Serilliant
06-07-08, 09:46 AM
What happens when you access a text-only version of Althanas (http://www.althanas.com/world/archive/index.php), or disable CSS in your browser and then try to load the forum?

Calx Vir
06-07-08, 11:12 AM
Just attempted both, neither worked.

Wow, this is really, and I mean really, strange. It looks like it could be my computer, yet I can navigate other sites with ease, log into them, etc. Only Althanas gives me the errors.

Nonetheless, Serilliant, if you find that there's nothing you can do, I seem to be managing with this proxy site, which allows me to log in as well as view pages freely.

Kially Gaith
06-07-08, 09:47 PM
Hello all, I am on a different computer at the moment, so I can discuss this problem myself.

When Althanas slowed down a couple of days ago, I couldn't get on (same as everyone else I assume), I don't know what it is, but I can't get on at all now on my home computer. I tried using the Althanas DNS in the address bar, thinking it might've been a DNS error, it didn't work, I called my ISP, they don't know what's up. I use Mozilla Firefox and everytime I try and load, it gives the error "The connection has timed out." and when I try IE (Internet Explorer) it loads for a minute then comes up on a search engine instead of loading Althanas, as if I had typed "Althanas" in google.

I can view Althanas at home still, but only by connecting to the internet via a manual proxy configuration, in which case I can't log in unless I paid money to the proxy provider. It loads fine when I'm using a web proxy, but direct connection to the internet won't.

I assumed it could have been from the fact that my IP was somehow blocked during the Althanas slow-down or something, because using web proxies hides my IP, so Althanas can't block me. I may be wrong, but I desperately want to know what's wrong. It isn't a computer error either, because we have a Mac that the family uses, and I still can't get on there. So it might not even be an IP error. But in any case, on my computer any other site works just fine, only Althanas.

I posted this under this thread because it could be a possible bug, I don't know exactly. Sorry for this novel, and I had already tried erasing my cookies 100 times, as well as erasing my cache, extending page load time, and even increasing the size of the cache. Nothing has worked, I keep getting the Timed Out error. I've also looked on numerous Firefox support sites to look for help, but nothing seems to address my problem so I assume it was a problem with, well, I don't know...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I seem to be able to log on using an anonymous web proxy that I found, a web site that lets me type in Althanas into it's address bar and it filters me through to here, and thankfully I can log in. Though this doesn't solve the problem, at least I can log on here at home. Though, things like editing text (bold, italic, etc) won't work while in the web proxy. So this still strengthens my assumption that my IP might be blocked, because when going through this site's proxy server, Althanas loads up perfectly fine.

Try this whilst at home:

Clear your web cache and cookies, close any browsers you have open then go to start - Run - then type in this

ipconfig /flushdns

If that doesn't work, I'm not quite sure. You MAY have some sort of script issue. (Though I can't think of one.)

Calx Vir
06-07-08, 10:26 PM
It can't be a DNS error with my computer because I can't log on using the family Mac either, which has both Safari and Firefox.

I tried anyway though, but to no avail. Thank you for trying, but I fear I may be forced to do business via anonymous web proxies.

Auryon
06-14-08, 02:55 PM
It might be just me, but can anyone check if the spoiler button works?

Well, did it?

Karuka
06-14-08, 03:00 PM
No, the spoiler tags haven't been working.

Zook Murnig
06-14-08, 03:48 PM
Works for me.

Lavinian Ambition
06-14-08, 04:00 PM
Well it definitely does NOT work for me, perhaps it has to do with Permissions?

Seeing as how a mod can see them, yet non-mods have trouble?

Stumbleduck
06-14-08, 04:20 PM
Doesn't work for me.

Winterhair
06-14-08, 10:12 PM
Said so before, but does not work for me either, still.

Serilliant
06-15-08, 02:32 AM
Spoiler tag fixed.

Xos
06-15-08, 04:31 PM
The one in Auryon's post up above worked for me, and I'm niether a nod, nor an admin, never have been, so clearly it must've been fixed and works properly now.

* A chant picks up from the thread*

ALL HAIL SERILLIANT! ALL HAIL SERILLIANT!

Melancor
06-29-08, 11:39 PM
What happened to my signature?

This is an outrage.

Serilliant
06-29-08, 11:52 PM
You were edited by a moderator who did not have the alternate language installed, and thus your foreign characters were re-encoded as question marks upon being saved.

Melancor
06-30-08, 12:01 AM
Saving signatures in MHTLM files does not make you a geek.

Danke.

Ataraxis
07-02-08, 11:32 PM
I don't think it was asked yet, so here:

Do we still have the strikethrough tag? I tried this but it obviously doesn't work.

Edit: After some googling plus a bit of trial and error, it seems thatthe new version apparently comes with its own strikethrough tag, which is quite simply:

stuff.

I'm probably the only one who didn't know it, though.

Serilliant
07-04-08, 11:28 AM
[strike] and [str] have always been the two codes for strike out. I'm not sure what made you think to try [phish]

Sorahn
07-26-08, 10:37 AM
Don't know if this is just my skin or not (I still use the default skin, the white and blue one, which no one else does), but the drop down menus at the top of the page (quick links in particular) don't work on the main page. It works on every other page just fine, but when I click "quick links" on the front page the whole bar changes to different links.

I'm using Firefox, btw.

Letho
07-26-08, 11:14 AM
...I still use the default skin, the white and blue one, which no one else does...Not true, I use it as well. And the same thing happens to me too. Using Firefox as well. Never noticed it before, probably because I bookmarked the forums so I jump directly there.

Irene
07-26-08, 11:59 AM
I'm using IE and the same skin, and the problems there for me as well.
The quick account swap doesn't work either.

Serilliant
07-26-08, 12:04 PM
The plugin the operates the front page does not necessarily work with the other hacks we use for various other pieces of functionality (like the quick account switch or the quick links drop down). It has to do with, for example, the declaration of global variables.

It's a problem that could be fixed, but would require new attention for each update of the plugin/forum software/other hacks, so is sort of not worth the trouble. If there's anything that impedes functionality, though, that can certainly be addressed.

Irene
07-26-08, 07:40 PM
It doesn't bother me, like Letho I have the forums bookmarked and go directly there. I was merely adding my two cents since I use default as well and use IE instead of Firefox, to provide a more complete picture of what's what.

Winterhair
07-26-08, 08:03 PM
I've tried to submit my application to "Join the Staff", but whenever I click "Submit" it says the following:
"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing or mismatched."
I talked to Letho about this, and we tried a couple things before giving up. I don't know what the issue is, but I hope you can fix this, Serrilliant ol' chap.

Sorahn
07-26-08, 11:21 PM
Oh okay significant variable reworking is definitely not worth the trouble. I was just trying to bring it to your attention.

I keep the front page bookmarked otherwise I'd probably miss the news posts, but I can just navigate to another page to use the dropdowns.

Serilliant
07-27-08, 06:11 AM
I have made a note on the moderator application form about the issue and will be looking into it as soon as possible. In the meantime, please copy and paste your answers to the questions in a PM to me and I will manually post your application. It will be processed normally after that.

Sorry for any inconvenience.