PDA

View Full Version : Miss Murder

Lavinian Ambition
05-14-08, 03:56 AM
(Closed Thread, Afin is cleared for launch.)

Dheathain, one month ago...

The parchment sat on the nearby bed stand as Jared hustled about the room. Clothes were tossed into the nearby satchel before he sighed and ran a hand through his red hair. His room, while a mess was fast getting cleaned as objects for the long journey ahead were being packed away. Clothes strewn about were inspected before tossed in a bin for the servants to clean, or tossed in his pack so he could have a spare change. Weapons that hung about uselessly were finally put back in their sheaths before the dagger belt in question was tossed over the back of a chair.

Amidst the white tornado that was Jared; one very irate looking woman sat, upon his seldom used bed. She watched him as he bustled about the room, her kimono left slightly open as if trying to distract him at all costs. Her ice blue eyes also held a look of irritation. She remained silent at the moment as Jared began the arduous task of checking his lock pick set. He was completely ignoring her, and no matter what she said or did, he seemed in a trance. The note on the bed stand was the obvious culprit, she plucked it up as she looked at it before she sighed tossing it on the bed. It looked like an innocent letter, but she knew very well what was hidden there, if only because Jared had told her frankly.

Finally words pierced the room as the black haired vixen spoke, a tone of hostility in her voice, "I don't like you doing this."

Jared stopped, his red hair moving in front of his eyes before with a casual flick of his wrist it was back out of the way. His grey eyes locked with the woman's icy pools, as a contest of wills began; finally he spoke, "You knew this was bound to happen eventually. Better sooner than later. Besides, its not like he's calling me back to Lavinya, he just wants me to help with an errand. It’s just a pick up, what could go wrong?"

"Too many things," Was the curt retort.

"Look, I'm not the wet behind the ears thiefling I used to be. Thanks to you, I've managed to toughen up a little and hone my skills even more. Seriously, I think you're just angry that I'm the first one to do this to you," He said as he moved over to her.

"I still don't like it," she replied stubbornly.

"Is it Kid being there? Is that what the problem is? You're afraid she's going to wrap me around her finger? Come on Kyo, give me more credit than that. I have a spine, otherwise I'd still be chained to her hip," Jared replied as he looked at her.

"She's going to be there?" The question held a deadly threat behind those words. Jared realized he had not told her exactly who was going before he plucked the notice up. Raven, a thief that excelled at scouting from their class, Sinner, the most reclusive bastard in the guild, with a blood lust to boot. He obviously was a part of this motley crew of misfits, and then he saw the word, the name that was innocent on the parchment but filled him with a bitter anger. Temptress, it was Kid's guild name, much like his was Firebrand. She had a skill set similar to Succubus', her surrogate mother, which meant seduction, and trap finding. He wondered just why they were being sent.

Handing the paper back to Kyo, the Bandit Brotherhood leader and his lover he sighed before he said, "Yes, she's going to be there. However, she isn't in charge, Sinner is. The worst that will happen is we butt heads, and seriously, that’s not so bad. It'll keep me from blowing up at Raven or Sinner, who are far more volatile."

He could tell, she was trying to keep her anger at the situation in check. One thing Jared learned fast was when Kyo was angry, and he could see the tension in her shoulders. She wanted to throttle something more than likely, and there was an argument brewing there, but he ignored it as he slung his satchel over his shoulder as sat next to her on the bed. When he spoke it was soft, "I made the decision to chase after you Kyo, don't worry about some woman who I used to date. We broke up because she was a leech sucking any good thing out of me she could. You are by far her superior in every way imaginable."

"Just be careful Jared, don't do something stupid-"

"I'll play it normally," Jared said cutting her off.

"That's exactly what I mean by don't do something stupid. Seriously, I want you to come back eventually, in one piece," Kyo said sternly. Jared nodded before he leaned forward and gave her a kiss. In the privacy of his room they could get away with a brief intimate moment, though he knew it wasn't what either of them wanted. He felt Kyo react positively to the kiss as her arms wrapped around his neck. He hugged her closer to him as their kiss deepened before she pulled back and whispered, "You sure you have to leave right now?"

Jared chuckled as he whispered, "I suppose I can spare an hour..."

~*~

Kachuk, present day...

Kachuk bustled, the activity of the city undeterred by the bright yellow sun that unleashed its heat upon them. The sounds of hammers upon anvils could be heard from various places as tinkerers and smiths plied their trade. A few plumes of smoke rose up in the mid day air to show the work being undertook there. The Dwarves of Kachuk were at work, and nothing would impede them from that work. The stubborn race was moving through another day in the traditional way, with little variation.

Jared sighed as he walked into the large town. This was the rendezvous point for the people to show up, and he was starting to get anxious. This would be the first time in over a year he had seen Kid, since the break up that left his sister dancing in the street when he had told her. His steps carried him deeper into the town as he let his ears do the walking, listening for conversation. He could feel eyes, but that was expected, he was after all a human boy with red hair. In Alerar the land of Drow this was an uncommon sight, perhaps more so with the red hair.

Gods, I hate this place... Seth's voice filtered in as Jared looked upon it.

Fancy that, a place you hate, makes me like the place that much more... Jared retorted as he moved up to the edge of town.

Just, be careful, this place breeds corruption like no other, Seth replied.

Is that a hint of caring I hear in your voice? Nah, have to be dreaming... Jared replied as he moved forward, ignoring any further retorts by Seth.

Moving towards the obvious place to get any sort of inconspicuous meeting going he moved towards the tavern. While not an inn, it was a common hub of meeting, and he was rather hungry. His breakfast after all had been cold jerky and water, so the thought of bread or even perhaps some mead was cheering him up after the prospect of facing down his ex. Moving towards the tavern he stopped as he heard the soft crunch of dirt under boots heading towards him. Narrowing his eyes he cocked his ear as the sound stopped. Smirking he moved towards the tavern once more. He wasn't sure who it was, but his recognizable face had apparently attracted one of his brethren.

The tavern seemed cleaned out for the day, at least until evening when the workers went home. Jared meanwhile sighed as he walked up to the counter, where a Drow seemed to be cleaning glasses. Moving forward he sat upon one of the stools before he cleared his throat, politely informing the Drow of his presence. The Drow didn't even look up as he said, "I can see you just fine from where I am, human. If you want something speak up, I don't coddle my customers."

Jared sighed as he heard boot steps behind him and spoke, "I think I'll take an order of ale. Strongest you got if at all possible..."

The Drow raised an eyebrow as he looked at Jared before he said, "I doubt you could take my strongest. You look like you couldn't take my weakest either. I'll go see if I have a glass of milk for you in the back..." With that the elf left the room, leaving a rather flustered Jared to sit there. He heard the stool next to him scrape as a figure sat beside him. Jared didn't even look as he spoke, "How is Father doing?"

The voice was a man's voice, probably Raven's from the sounds of it as he spoke up, "He's fine, as usual. If there is one constant, it’s that Father is always doing well. I suppose it's because we do well eh Jared?"

"Yeah Joseph, I know, I know. Have you seen Temptress or Sinner around?" Jared asked softly as he looked at the black haired man. His hair was pulled back in a tight ponytail that gave his hair a slicked back look. His brown eyes darted about as if observing everything at once, taking in and dissecting all the information they drank in. He had a long nose that resembled a beak, hence his guild name.

The man however, only shrugged as he said, "I only got here a week ago. I heard that Temptress was heading in from Radasanth, and I thought Sinner was with me, but you know how he gets..."

"Yeah, he's a bit, odd I guess you could say..." Jared replied. He sighed as he looked at Raven before he said, "Frankly I'm not looking forward to seeing either of them. Sinner gives me the creeps and Tempress-"

"What, oh what could Firebrand have to say that could possibly be important?" A feminine voice said. He heard soft laughter marking the entrance of Kid Dahlios, the adopted daughter of Sarah Dahlios. She had grown up, filled out, and taken up the Dahlios legacy of being crazy in more than one way. Jared was fairly certain she was a red head in a previous life, what with her mannerisms, and further her methods. Jared merely shrugged as he turned to look at the woman he knew was standing behind him. She had definitely gotten better in the stealth department, since she had asked him to help her learn a few tricks in that area, along with a few others.

"Oh you know, the usual tripe, Temptress is a vile bitch, blah blah blah," Jared replied as he looked squarely at her taking in Kid's appearance. Kid wore her brown hair loose today, so that it flowed about her head. She was wearing a dress, more conservative than normal, but doing the job of hiding her identity well. It did show off her rather modest chest, while flowing down to halfway down her calves, where the boots started. No daggers hung at her waist, but he could see her bag, which probably had her real thieving gear. Hell, he bet she could have taken off the dress and been wearing the shorts and skin tight top that she had taken to using, much like Sarah before her.

Kid however, did not seem amused at the blatant attack as she said, "And here I thought little baby Jared had grown up, nice to see some things never change. How are you Raven?"

The man behind Jared nodded towards Kid, before he spoke softly, "You know me, doing well enough I suppose. Living in Lavinya has to be far duller than you in Radasanth. Is Succubus with you?"

"Nope, no safety net this time, Sarah had to take care of a few loose ends in Ettermire, so she walked me that far, then let me on my way," Kid said a devilish grin crossing her face as she took the stool next to Jared. Jared was now sandwiched between his two partners and while he didn't mind one of them, who was always quiet. The other showed a bit more of the reason he hated her. She knew just how to piss him off.

Finally the Drow returned as he looked at the trio sitting there, obviously knowing each other. He finally set the mug before Jared as he said, "I swear you humans are like bugs, you multiply and I can't see how it’s possible you exist...two gold for the drink, anything else?"

"Well my partners may or may not be hungry, but I had a rather light breakfast, got any food ready?" Jared asked politely. Trying hard not to snap at the elf, who deserved none of his ire, not like the vile vixen next to him.

"I got a bit of stew left from the lunch hour, still warm, that do?"

"Perfect," Jared said. Raven chimed in his own request for the stew while Kid merely remained silent staring at Jared, almost as if studying him. He knew she was looking for weakness that was for sure.

Just like Sarah, always looking for an in, Seth said finally.

Yeah well, she wasted her chance at me, I'm not about to fall for her again... Jared replied bitterly.

Oh I know, just interesting that Darith stuck you two together, Seth said before he went silent again.

Afin
05-15-08, 08:58 PM
Shadows that grew like unwanted weeds across the inn’s roof gave welcome refuge to Vesper as she watched the street below. Her mind ran rampant with thoughts and memories of the past weeks, barely paying any attention to the twisted roads below. Memories of death, echoes of screams, and the overwhelming smell of blood filled her mind, giving little room for any other thoughts. Her cold heart had softened as she waited, worry slowly loosening its leash and running rampant and free through her mind. It had been a successful job, but still there were aspects of her last missions that frightened her. Not many things frightened Vesper anymore.

However her attention was drawn to something interesting, as a shocking white figure was walking down the street. Atop that, a matted mess of red hair adorning a young human bounced down the street, not even attempting to be secretive. A smirk crossed Sinner’s masked face, for she would recognize that boy anywhere. He had been a favorite of sorts of Darith, which she had never understood. He was reckless, and quick to anger. Yet she wouldn’t deny that he had skills.

“Firebrand…”

The name was whispered to herself, and moments after it left her lips another figure appeared from the shadows. Much more discreet, with eyes that could be seen searching every nook and cranny even from this distance. This man was very much the opposite of Firebrand, a silent and calculating thief who was known for his nearly extrasensory level of perception. He would be useful, for he noticed small nuances that others didn’t, and his eyes were unmatched in their precision. The black haired human’s fighting skills were very minimal. He will be a liability if a fight starts.

“Raven…”

Then, shortly after the two had entered the inn, the third who had been waiting nearby climbed from her vantage point. She apparently did not want to be the first to arrive, and had been awaiting Firebrand. A loose cannon, yet predictable. Sinner did not understand why Darith let Firebrand and Temptress on the same mission. There was history there, and it may lead to a situation in which their concentration wouldn’t be entirely on the mission. Separate, they were both competent and talented agents. Sinner intended to watch them, ensure no problems.

“Temptress… Welcome to Alerar”

The only thing disturbing her about this mission was the objective. After the last two missions she had been given, it confused her to be on such a routine job. Two assassinations followed by a pick-up with very little to no threat of conflict. It was suspicious, and she wondered if Darith suspected something of the merchant who they would be visiting.

- - - - -

Two Weeks Earlier…

“Seven strangled, three with throats cut, one thrown from a fourth story window, five bled to death, and one stabbed excessively. Four of the dead were patrons of the inn, and two have reported to be travelers. All of this is being cleaned up by other members of the guild, but I want an explanation, Sinner.”

Darith stood before her, a paper with a report of the deaths in her first mission in his hand. He looked down upon her dark, suited form, eyeing the large amount of blood that had soaked into the black cloth. Even in the dark room it was easy to see the crimson stains. Turning, he returned to his desk and sat, noticing that ever since entering his office Sinner had not spoken a word and barely moved. Still standing, refusing to remove her mask, the new thief was definitely an odd ball among her class. A rose with few petals, and many more thorns.

The guild master sighed softly, and then smiled at Sinner. One more time he looked over the list, then remembered back to the training. Sinner had shown a strong competence in fighting and killed once without hesitation when an unexpected situation arose. It was not a surprise for find that on the first mission Sinner had been sent upon every person except her lay dead by the end of the day. Even though it had been a simple reconnaissance mission with an older member of the thief guild. He also did not return, and his body was being collected by the guild currently.

“Sir, Radasanthian Thieves were occupying the Inn. The house master had turned, giving shelter to them instead. Crane was killed. I avenged her.”

A gray eyebrow of Darith’s rose along with his interest. Standing again, he grabbed a piece of parchment from his desk and placed his hands behind his back. Nodding softly, he spoke again, his ancient voice still carrying a kind tone.

“Sinner, you have shown an aptitude for death. Do you enjoy killing?”

As he asked the question he turned, watching Sinner very carefully. There was no movement, no notion at all to show discomfort, except the hesitation. She wasn’t sure if it was a trick question, for she didn’t understand Darith’s motives. If answering correctly would remove her from the Thief Guild that had grown to be her home, then she was willing to lie. On the other hand, trust was paramount, and a dishonest response may lead to routine missions that would have no chance of testing her skills. Sinner’s gray eyes stared deep into Darith’s common brown, taking in their depth and the knowledge they hid. His kind face, and simple appearance made her think she was above him, but knew ever since the first time he had spoken to her that she was far below. It was difficult to lie to a man like this. Taking a risk, she spoke up, her soft and androgynous voice sounding like a mouse in the shadow of the seemingly omniscient Darith.

“Yes.”

Darith did not appear at all surprised, which relieved Sinner beyond all belief. Instead he simply stepped forward and hand her a scroll.

“One day, you may replace Hawk, the enforcer. He is looking for a substitute.”

Afterwards he simply returned to his desk and began reading a mission report from another thief, done with her. Sinner left without another word, even reading that her next mission was an assassination with the words, “allow no witnesses to live”.

- - - -

Earlier Today…

Midnight fell, and slowly the city of Kachuk fell silent. Only the ambiance of the mines was left behind, and a few drunken voices ringing out in the night, muffled by the walls of taverns. Anyone in the street was drunk, or too concentrated on getting inside to notice the shadowed form of Sinner running along the flat dwarves roofs. Silent as a soft breeze, and graceful as a gust she bounded from roof to roof, quickly approaching her destination, a small mansion at the end of a side road. It was off the beaten path, and close enough to the mines to know that it was an employee or owner of a mining company. They essentially ran the city, the tyrannical corporations.

“One death, to free trade.”

The Sinner whispered it to herself, a reminder to keep the death toll to a minimum. However, as she grew within sight range of the target’s residence she realized that it would quickly become a difficult task to keep such a low kill count. Guards crawled across the place like ants, useless but busy. Most were on break, not paying attention and chatting idly. Soundlessly she moved again, drawing her blades and leaping from her rooftop to land without a whisper in an alley.
A patrol passed, two men laughing rancorously about having caught a prostitute and taken her merchandise for free earlier in the night. A soft thread of disgust broke through Sinner’s cold shell and she stepped out from the darkness and let her blades slide sweetly into their backs, just below the nape of their necks, beneath useless armor. One gasped in surprise before his heart was punctured, falling to a heap on the ground, the other went out like a candle, without resistance.

There was little time to waste, for she next had an appointment elsewhere in Kachuk and she intended to be the first to arrive among her team. A whisper of wind took her strength in and she burst into a run. Moving as quickly as she was able, Sinner strode straight at a guard at the side gate of the residence. He turned just before she arrived, his voice ripping open in alarm but only giving out a silent scream as Jeremiad pierced his lungs. His eyes went wide before he fell like a rock, grasping his chest in desperation. Not giving him a second glance, the wind moved at her back again and she leapt the short gate, landing in a run.

A first story window was open, the light off, an easy mistake. Diving in, she rolled to a stop and took in her surroundings. Unoccupied beds to her right, a door to her left cracked open with a sliver of light shining through. Many men of self-importance were speaking on the other side, with the sounds of glass being set on tables. A drunken slur could be detected in both of their voices, which made her job all the easier. Wiping her blades off on the white carpet, she stood and calmly walked out of the door. The man in the chair facing her stood, shocked and screaming.

“N…no! Guards! Guards! An intruder! Stupid bastards, where are the guards!”

The fat man, wearing fancy clothes that now appeared to be slowly bleeding for he had spilled his red wine on his chest. His friend stood, more graceful with a sleek and thin body. At first the other man seemed to think his friend was hallucinating until he turned. The horror that struck his countenance was like a beautiful flower, and as delicious to savor. It wouldn’t last long, as Sinner’s stride quickened and the wind once more backed her decision without hesitation. A quick slice of Jeremiad and the first man’s horror changed into a gaping, horrible smile of flesh and blood.

Outside there was a bustle as guards woke from their distractions and began to try to reach the room their master was in. Tears adorned his cheeks and he backed against the wall, reaching into a drawer and drawing out an Alerarian gunpowder device. Sinner moved quickly, having experience with such devices before and not trusting them in the least. Within a moment she was at his throat, Jeremiad softly kissing his flesh and letting a trickle of blood run free.

“You are sentenced to death for betraying my masters and revealing the location and identity of three of my brothers and sisters. As they were slain, so shall you be. I have no forgiveness for you, do not waste your tears. Die.”

Blade met wall, blood spraying out and barely missing Sinner’s suit. Careful to not be bloodied, she quickly advanced to the door she had entered through and stepped back into the shadows just as the guards entered the room. One shouted orders to sweep the territory for an intruder, but it was too late. Sinner’s form snuck out the window, across the lawn, and back into the safe sanctuary of Kachuk shadows. From her haven, she turned and saw the name plate on the mansion’s gate, stopping her dead. A cold, dreadful shiver ran down her spine and she read it aloud, as if to verify that it was indeed real.

“Joseph Dotir… my uncle.”

Dark thoughts threatened to overtake her mind as she considered returning, and slaughtering the rest of the family that resided there. Resisting, knowing she had another mission to attend before the night was out, she turned and dared not look back. Returning to the rooftops where she could move easily without detection, Sinner cleared her mind and let the coldness coat her heart. Now was not the time to think on her past.

- - - -

Today…

It was time, and Sinner woke from her contemplation. Quietly, she slipped from the shadows, for an Alerian Drow was also on the roof top. He had a small white cylinder between his lips that he appeared to be sucking on, giving off a vile smelling white smoke. Without a sound, unnoticed by the relaxed Drow, he slipped off the side of the building and climbed slowly to the alley. She pulled a ragged brown cloak around her form to hide the suit which gave off her dark occupation, and moved from the shadows to the door of the inn.

As she entered, the quarreling of her team mates met her ears. Silently Sinner watched and listened to them until a restless silence fell across them. Raven appeared to wish to remain out of the bickering of Temptress and Firebrand, quietly eating. When she was sure they were done, she moved across the room and stood behind Firebrand, only the barkeep noticing her presence.

“Does your friend want stew as well?”

His question drew the attention of the others and they turned to see her.

“If you two are finished,” she glanced at Firebrand and Temptress from behind her cloak and mask, “it is time to leave.”

Lavinian Ambition
05-18-08, 05:50 PM
Jared had been in the middle of a small chat with Kid, mainly about how she could leave him be for the mission when Sinner showed up. While Kid only served to annoy Jared, Sinner served to make his skin crawl. He wasn't sure what it was about the guy, but he just didn't seem to like him, at all. Still he slipped from the stool before he paid his bill and moved on. The small group of relatively new thieves moved through the town, some joking going on between Kid and Raven as Jared merely rolled his eyes. Kid was at it again.

Their journey wound through the town swiftly with Sinner seeming to lead the way. Jared meanwhile moved about not even looking around. He knew they were heading to the manor, which was after all the mission. The Merchant Vercci was a well known man throughout Althanas' underground. Known for his exotic weaponry and quality supplies, he was often hired out by several groups, if only to keep up in an ever changing war. The problem however, was his loyalty went to the highest bidder. That usually meant certain people were left out in the cold.

He guessed Sinner was here to put him off guard, so he wouldn't pull the same stunt with the Lavinian Thief's Guild. However as they reached the gate, Sinner lead them off to the side. It disturbed Jared a little, knowing they weren't supposed to just walk in the front door and get the gear, but he endured. He was after all just another body on this routine run. He figured it would be a couple of weeks, get to the port, from there his commitment was done and he could hit a boat for Dheathain, be back with Kyo in less than a month and be happy.

The path ran through what sparse woods stood at the edge of the Dwarven town. Birds flitted about from tree to tree as if to offer a sense of serenity. Jared knew this little road had probably seen more than a few scuffles, either from Vercci himself, or between competitors. Still, he moved along, focusing on hearing beyond the banter of Kid and Raven. He heard nothing, but that never meant there was nothing to hear. His paranoia was in effect, if only because he didn't want to be caught in the merchant's shadow games.

I agree with you there, even I had to foresight to stay away from this place when I was killing people left and right, Seth replied a tone of respect in his voice. It was something that Jared was actually surprised at, and counted it his lucky day that Seth actually respected his opinion, rather than belittle it. Still he moved on being alert for anything. It was then he heard Kid's words.

"Yeah, me and Jared had a falling out, wasn't sure why though. I thought I made him happy, guess he just likes being miserable," Kid had said to Raven.

"Or perhaps he doesn't like being used like a tool," Jared said as he finally moved past Kid and Raven breaking up the conversation. Kid had a look of anger on her face as if she wanted to rebut it, but they had arrived at their destination. The side entrance to the manor seemed like all others. Two large doors were set into the side of the estate, and it looked like a smaller door was imposed upon the bigger ones. The implication clear, wagons and caravans came in and out of here; people came in and out of the door.

Raven moved up and went to the door, trying to turn the knob. When it refused to budge he tried again, with a bit more force. A sigh left his lips as he looked at Jared and said, "It's locked, you do anything about that?"

Jared plucked the tools form his satchel as he walked up to the door and said, "Well, I can try at least, give me a second." With those words he knelt by the lock and went to work. Using the scarce light of day about the lock he frowned as he poked about the lock. His tools found nothing of which to interact with. He could easily stick the tool through the lock to poke out the other side, but nothing else was possible from his end.

"Well?" Kid's impatient voice cleared the air.

"One way lock, the guts of it are against this lock plate, I can't pick it," Jared replied putting away his tools before he pulled a dagger and moved it against the door. He felt about slowly until he found the latch of the door in the lock. Moving about he sighed before he said, "Yeah, this isn't good at all. Its reinforced, won't be able to force it either. He definitely doesn't want unwelcome guests."

Raven then looked about the area before he said the obvious, "Looks like our deal is off then. So what do we do now?"

It was then Sinner spoke up, his voice soft but menacing, "They don't lock windows on the fourth floor. I’ll handle it." He then gestured to the rope that hung at his waist, as if giving the only explanation needed. Jared raised an eyebrow at the bold statement. He had already been vindicated of his actions in Radasanth for similar problem that had cropped up, but to do so twice?

It was Kid who broke through the fog of his thoughts, “Obviously can’t leave without our money, or the gear. Let’s do it.”

Afin
05-18-08, 06:43 PM
Sinner’s group left the inn immediately, and as they moved through the streets she lead them on the most direct path out of town and to Vercci’s mansion. While they walked, her thoughts scanned over all the mission details she was provided with.

First, Vercci was known as the Merchant of Death for good reason, and each of her teammates knew that. They would have to be cautious, in case something went wrong. It is well known that Vercci’s guards are at most incompetent, since he himself is a skilled fighter and his Chief of Guard, Marius, was personally trained to nearly match his own skill. Marius was recruited from the streets of Alerar when he tried to mug Vercci, and managed only to get a single blow on the merchant. This apparently impressed the diabolical arms dealer, and he took the mercenary and thief into his wing, training him to be of a higher class, and a much greater level infamy.

Sinner’s mind snapped back to the present as the Merchant of Death’s mansion came into view. The front entrance was going to be locked, and it was described in her briefing that a back entrance was used for black market trade. Despite finding it despicable to be considered black marketeering, she turned and moved for the side gate. No guards were posted on the exterior of the building, though she suspected it was crawling with security inside. Each window had a consistent illumination emanating from it, suggesting gas lanterns over the candles traditionally used in other parts of Althanas. Suddenly her eye caught that on the parts of the building that had four floors or more, nearly every window appeared to be cracked or opened completely from the fourth level and higher. None of the windows featured bars or any other protection method. She made a mental note of it, and moved on.

It took a moment to get through the wooded path that led away from the mansion for the majority of it, and the entire time her hands were on her daggers, ready to fight. This method of approach allowed for a nearly infinite amount of opportunities for ambush, and Sinner did not like it at all. Finally, after a very stressful walk in the woods, they arrived at the door described as their point of entry. It was said that there would be a guard waiting for them to let them in, but none was there.

This is wrong… Where is our host?

Sinner stood back as Jared moved to work on the door. Her eyes gravitated to the fourth floor, noticing that the windows were closed, but still appeared to have no protection or locking mechanism. Hopefully they followed suit with the windows on the front of the building and were not locked. Gradually her eyes drifted down, following a path of window sills that she estimated could be used to reach that floor. Jared spoke, catching her attention, declaring that their entry was blocked.

With a smooth motion Sinner pulled the black borrowed cloak off and set it aside in the shrubbery, then proceeded to latch her sheath to ensure that Jeremiad wouldn’t fall out in her ascent. Stepping forward and re-analyzing the side of the wall, she spoke to the air, addressing the group in general.

“They don’t lock windows on the fourth floor. I’ll handle it.”

Sinner proceeded to move back a few steps and gesture for her team mates to move aside. Closing her eyes, her mind whispered to the winds for aid and a soft breeze picked up. Then, without warning she burst into a run straight for the wall at the side of the gate. Moments before reaching the brick façade, a massive gust of wind slammed into her and she leaped into the air, bounding to the second story and landing gracefully on a window sill. Without hesitation, another gust of wind slammed into her and her body arched through the air to arrive at a fourth story window just to the side of the gate.

Gently bending down on the thin window sill, Sinner tested the window and let out a relieved sigh as it easily and quietly came open. She dropped down so that she was hanging from the ledge with only one hand after the window was open, and unsheathed Jeremiad, ready in her other. This room was lit, just as the others were, but she heard no sounds coming from it. After she was satisfied of its emptiness, she pulled herself up and leaped in, still one dagger at the ready as a precaution.

Empty. I’m getting lucky today.

Within a minute she had her dagger sheathed once again and the rope tied to a secure anchor at the bottom of the window sill. Testing it with her own weight first, she dropped it down to the ground and found with satisfaction it made it within reach of her team mates. Leaning out the window, she motioned for them to climb up. Sinner turned her attention to the only door in the room, drawing both daggers. It appeared to be a guest bedroom, not used in quite some time. Generic furniture adorned the room, and it was painted white. It was, in general, very plain.

If someone walked in while they were entering, it would cause enough confusion to be mistaken for intruders and be attacked. Upon that scenario, Sinner was resolute in knowing she would have to immediately detain anyone walking through the door before they set off any sort of alarm.

Hurry, you three. I want this mission this to move along smoothly

Lavinian Ambition
05-21-08, 02:52 PM
They watched as Sinner made her ascent, disappearing a reappearing higher and higher as the winds enveloped her and drew her towards her goal. Jared, for all his blustering had to admit he was kinda glad they even had this option, even if it meant putting up with Sinners rather brutal attitude. Still when the rope was tossed over the side, Jared looked at Kid before he said with a sarcastic smile, "Ladies first."

Kid sighed as she took the rope and began to climb up. She was still in her dress, but that was probably going to change when they had reached the room above. Now wasn't the time for hiding, or even for subtlety in Jared's mind. They should just march up to the merchant and demand an explanation. Still he was going to follow Sinner's lead for now, push came to shove they could always kill the dumb bastard if he had betrayed them. As Kid made it to the top Jared looked at Raven who stared back blankly before he said, "You go up, I'll keep watch below and start when you're halfway up. No need to drag this out any longer."

Jared nodded at the sound plan as he began his own ascent. His Arms were stronger than the last time he had to use rope to hoist himself up. He chuckled softly wasting precious oxygen as he remembered the dumbwaiter he had tried to use to sneak through Roland's manor. It had been a good idea, but he had no upper body strength to do so in a practical amount of time. Still he climbed up, using the wall to steady himself as he walked up the wall, and used the rope to pull higher. When he was halfway up, he noticed the rope seemed to anchor, and stop shaking, allowing him better grip and faster ascent. Attributing it to Raven climbing up behind them Jared continued on as if nothing had changed, finally reaching the goal.

As he climbed over the edge of the balcony and made it into the room proper he saw Kid taking off the dress. As he had earlier guessed her thieving outfit had been under the dress. Rolling it up to get it dealt with quickly she pulled out her dagger belt and tossed it in the pack she carried. Tossing the belt around her waist it tended to hang over one hip, and hung under the other, accentuating what was there. It would have been provocative, if the thought of ever sleeping with Kid again didn't make Jared want to vomit. With her geared up, Jared already geared up, and Sinner ready to go, they waited for Raven to get over the balcony. When he too made it over the lip of the balcony he pulled the rope up before Sinner opened the door that lead to the hallway.

Entering the manor proper Jared focused on the area around him. Raven's eyes darting this way and that as Kid herself seemed to sink into a far less playful mood. Everyone understood the gravity of the situation. They were now sneaking into a place they technically had no right being in. They were intruders, and they would probably be treated as such. With their guards up, Raven took the rear as Sinner seemed to take point. Kid was closer to raven, with Jared closer to Sinner. Back to back they walked through the hallways carefully, trying to avoid being spotted.

That was, until the guards saw them.

Kid looked at the guards as they approached and frowned until Daggers were drawn from all three of the thieves. Jared lost track of Sinner in the moments it would take to draw his own daggers before he was fighting a guard with a sword. Steel clashed with steel as the thieves began the fight that they had dreaded. Each guard seemed at least well trained with their weapon, which made for a harder fight for most of the thieves. Jared however, had not been lax in his training, and managed to keep up as the guard tried to parry and thrust through Jared's tight defense.

Jared finally managed a punch that sent the helmet of the guard spinning. With the guard momentarily blinded Jared took the only action he could afford. With a twirl he rushed past the guard. As the dagger came to halt in reverse grip he brought the knife backwards into the guard's back, and hoped to the gods he had gotten a lung. When he heard the sick gurgling sound he pulled the knife out and assessed the situation. He should help one of the other thieves. Seeing Kid was okay as was Raven he knew Sinner would be alright as well. Without hesitation he jumped into the fray with Kid, hoping to help her so they could team up against the final two guards.

Afin
05-21-08, 05:19 PM
The moment Sinner’s comrades had prepared themselves and she had the rope tied around her waist neatly again, she drew Jeremiad and stepped to the door. Glancing about the room, to double check they all were set, she received resolute and somewhat grim nods from each. The joking demeanor that had prevailed until now was completely shattered. Each of them, she was glad, had realized this was a very serious situation. Something was definitely amiss. Sinner turned the knob slowly and opened it just a crack, peering out into the brightly illuminated hall. She heard nor saw anything hostile, so she swung the door swiftly and quietly open and stepped out.

The first thing Sinner noticed was that her original assumption was wrong. There was no giant antechamber that this room overlooked, as the architecture of the house had suggested, but instead it was a very cramped hall way that barely had room for two people abreast. Furthermore, and more importantly, because of the design of the interior Sinner suddenly came to the realization she had no idea how to reach the lower level supply room where the goods were supposed to be kept, nor which of these many rooms the Merchant of Death resided in. She was the leader of the group, but she had no direction.

Unsure, but not willing to show her uncertainty, she began walking down the hall in a random direction, her team mates following her. There were doors in an even interval, but each as she checked them were the same as the one they had entered, and equally as useless. After only being inside for a few minutes, Sinner was checking a room when she heard the sound of incoming foot steps and Raven muttering something under his breath. Stepping back out, she quickly lowered herself into a fighting stance as six guards moved down the hall, three from each direction. It seemed too much of a planned ambush to be coincidence, but then again it may have been a patrol.

Instantly the fray began, and Sinner rushed forward, spinning past the first guard and shoving him backwards for someone else to take care of. In front of her, two men with spears stood blocking the hall, determined to take the intruders down. The way they held their weapons gave her a slight measure of confidence, for they did not seem to be too eager to battle her, but also knew what they were doing.

Without hesitation she dashed forward, the a strange wind at her back. The speed surprised one of the guards and he lifted his spear, giving her an entryway. Jeremiad leaped upwards, moving in an arc into the man’s gut and under his breastplate. She could feel the resistance of organs being ripped through, but she pushed farther up, her gauntlet almost inside him stomach, until the grotesque pop of a lung rang out. Turning to the second guard without wasting time she noticed the dread on his face as his partner fell to the ground, mutilated. He brought down his spear, but his knuckles were drained of blood and one hand slipped, the point falling to the ground. Stepping on the shaft the spear bent, ripping it from his other hand. Jeremiad spun, and cut a clean path through his neck, spraying blood across the previously pristine white walls.

Sinner moved back to her partners, and was glad to see that each of them had taken down a guard. She was ready to move on, until out of the corner of her eye she noticed that the guard Raven had taken down was still breathing. Quickly she pushed back Temptress and Firebrand, and kneeled on the guards chest while staring into Raven’s eyes. She slipped a dagger into the mans throat and spoke calmly and precisely.

“We are intruders here, and we do not wish to raise an alarm. If this man woke while we remained in this manor, it would risk all our lives. We must kill.”

Raven looked to the other two for approval, and saw their reluctant acceptance of the fact. With a shudder he nodded, and then moved forward with the others. Sinner stood and they continued, soon coming to a door at the end of the hall that opened to a very large room. Raven was still in the lead since it had been unnecessary to change positioning around in the tight hallway and he stepped out into the beautiful ball room first. There was only one other door, but it was on the far side, and chandeliers lined the ceiling. The walls were decorated with Victorian mirrors, and a hint of gold danced across the silver work that covered the entire room.

Sinner had only just entered the room when she heard a sound of clicking. Glancing around, she noticed that Raven was in the exact middle of the room staring upwards in horror. Before anyone had the chance to move or even react, a sickening crunch echoed out across the room. An enormous metal lion head on a pendulum had swung down and slammed into Raven’s shocked body, throwing him across the room and shattering one of the mirrors. It was dreadfully obvious, the way his body had moved through the air, that almost all his bones were broken.

“No!”

Sinner didn’t even realize that it was her who had screamed as she ran across the room to him, kneeling down and feeling his chest with one gauntleted hand. There was no comforting beat of heart to assure her, and his form was limp. He was dead. Anger boiled up inside her, and Sinner stood, examining the silver lion’s head that swung, slower and less threateningly, across the room.

“Trapped…Vercci…trapped his mansion…”

This would not be a routine mission.

Lavinian Ambition
05-27-08, 03:29 AM
It was unpleasant to say the least, the killing that they were forced to do. For some of them, it would be their first time, breaking their innocence, by killing others. However, one thing he knew was there was no choice. Every guard left alive was one who could tell the tale and tell them where to go. Every guard alive was another who could show up later. So when Sinner killed the guard, brutally for Raven, and demanded they follow suit, Jared could only nod his head, as Kid nodded her own.

Perhaps he should pay first round for tonight, because he had a feeling they were going to all need it after the bloodbath they were wading into. Jared cleaned his blades on the sleeve of a guard who was dead before he sheathed them. Raven was already taking the lead as Kid seemed to frown, continuing to look about the area, as if troubled. Finally Jared spoke up, "Trouble?"

Kid didn't even look at him as they traveled down the hallway. Kid's frown deepened before she said softly, "Perhaps, not sure yet."

Jared knew better than to question Kid further. The girl had survived this long on sheer instinct, and he wasn't about to question it. Whether she could actually hold up in a fight was an entirely different matter, but to question her gut instinct, was a quick way to getting yourself killed. He had heard on raids that had been canceled she had anticipated an ambush, when a leak had been found. If Darith saw fit to trust her, he couldn't do anything less.

Entering the ballroom it seemed oddly out of place. The bright colors and the mirrors were out of place amongst the rest of the manor which was far less frivolous. It wasn't until Sinner entered that Kid hissed and looked up, Just as Jared saw the comically large hammer, shatter the man that was once Raven. They all rushed forward, as Kid slid to a halt on the trigger, pulling a knife out as she went to work. Jared had heard Raven's last word's and felt that as stupid as they had been, he couldn't berate the man on it, especially since he was no longer amongst the living.

Kneeling by the corpse he felt a wave of grief and nausea wash over him. It was a tide that threatened to carry him away, but he held on, if only to prevent hysterics. He couldn't afford another mistake like Raven's, who had already paid perhaps the highest price this mission. As he looked at Raven he shook his head slowly as he whispered, "Rest in peace friend, you'll be home before you know it."

Kid meanwhile had gone to work, prying the plate that had triggered the trap out of the floor before she cursed. Jared only gave her a brief look as he went back to looking at Raven's body. Working swiftly he looked through Raven's pack, seeing a few notes, a journal that was probably better off not read then and there, and some clothes. Kid meanwhile was muttering to herself before she said out loud, "He's not only trapped the place, but this isn't your typical bullshit. He's jury rigged the floors, perhaps the walls and definitely the ceiling. This plate is at floor level, and if the way it was rigged is any note, it was all done during construction. This bastard doesn't like the thought of being attacked, at all. I suggest not moving too fast through here, unless you'd like to be the next victim."

"So you're saying what we already know, thanks Temptress, I'll keep it in mind," Jared bit off bitterly.

Kid snapped back almost immediately, "What do you want me to say? Trigger plates every five yards? Come on Firebrand, you know better than that. These were done by the experts. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dwarves rigged this crap. The point is it’s not something easily spotted, so you're going to have to be extra careful."

Jared felt like biting off another retort but bit his tongue. Tempers were flaring right now, and he couldn't afford to be his namesake. Not now, especially not now. Doing so would blind him to what was going on, and he couldn't afford that at any price. As he ignored her he began to strip Raven of any useful items before he tossed it in the satchel. Tossing it to kid he said bitterly, "You carry his gear then."

"What are you going to do then, oh wondrous leader?" Kid said as she seemed still on edge.

"I'm carrying the body," Jared replied firmly. Kid's head snapped up as she went from looking through the bag to staring into Jared's eyes, as she hissed, "You are what?"