PDA

View Full Version : I broke my potoshop!

ANGELxZER0
05-15-08, 01:02 PM
I've done art for years now, I think I'm no good, but that's the only way I will ever get better. A lot of my early stuff was sonic style and that's when I really started to improve, Ive never really liked a realistic style so mine is usual a manga style or something similar.

Well recently I haven't been doing much art because education has stole all my time. On top of that my photoshop died on me so I'm stuck with paint, luckily that's how I started digital art.

Anyway here is some of my art, hope you like it.

My characters second form.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/ANGELxZER0/xziaform2.jpg

Internet is being silly or I would show more.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/ANGELxZER0/

My whole album

Visla Eraclaire
05-15-08, 01:59 PM
Nice glaive, Illidan.

Not bad though, with paint. I sure as hell couldn't pull it off.

ANGELxZER0
05-15-08, 02:15 PM
Heh, he does look like Illidan doesn't he. Well Illidan is cool anyway so im proud he looks like him, anyway I finaly got this one up.

I did this quickly when photoshop was working, I never got to finish shadeing it.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/ANGELxZER0/DesZerocopy.png

Angel Zero, My alter ego, if I could be anyone I would be him.

Cyrus the virus
05-15-08, 02:25 PM
Looks good, but you should develop your own unique style. This screams Naruto.

Visla Eraclaire
05-15-08, 02:31 PM
Looks good, but you should develop your own unique style. This screams Naruto.

QFT

ANGELxZER0
05-15-08, 03:00 PM
actualy the photoshop one was based off disgaea, a compleatly different style. and the actual design started off as knights armour then got mixed with future stuff. but yea, its compleatly naruto ¬_¬

Visla Eraclaire
05-15-08, 03:02 PM
His point was to be original. "It's not based of ho-hum anime X it's based on ho-hum anime style game Y" is no defense. Good derivative work is still derivative, while it could be just good work.

I don't intend to be mean, just obligated to defend posts that I quote for truth.

ANGELxZER0
05-15-08, 03:21 PM
I have my own style and...I'm a big fan of naruto and dont see the resembalance...at all...I just dont like being told ive coppied when I know I haven't, mmmmmmk?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/ANGELxZER0/ZeroLimits.png

Example A.

Visla Eraclaire
05-15-08, 03:23 PM
Sorry for saying you copied one thing when you, infact, copied something else. Now that you mention Disgaia I know exactly the picture you're talking about. The photoshopped images have a much more original style, though.

Kai
05-15-08, 03:44 PM
Ya, i noticed the first two had a Disgaia look to em, and i admit it's a good colour scheme your working with too.

On another random note, i don't see the piles upon piles of art requests from the members.

I find it amusing to find that someone else developed there art style from Sonic style drawings, hate to admit it but I am in the same boat as ya there, not that there is anything wrong with sonic … pre Sonic adventure 2 that is =P

ANGELxZER0
05-15-08, 03:59 PM
There made of very simple shapes and is a good way to start, like chibi style. ^-^

I prefer to hand draw things and very rarely do digital stuff. Thats why I suck at it.

Black, white and teal are my favorate colours (Technicaly black and white arn't) so I use them on all my main charecters.

Its rare that i get any art requests and its always been that way but meh, my photoshop is broken anyway and useing paint takes ages if i shade stuff properly.

Kai
05-15-08, 05:59 PM
pluss you don't have to worry much about proportions, but the pesky shoes are my bane, hands are tricky too in anything more complex than a fist.

I prefer to draw by hand too, but i don't have a scanner so any digital art i actually use Flash of all things, possibly for the vecter images and the smooth lines.

Paint is just evil! i can't do a bloddy thing with it ... ack i am an art junkie or something
0.o' bah no way i am showing off any of my art learned that mistake the hard way.

ANGELxZER0
05-15-08, 06:58 PM
I strive on people telling me where I've went wrong, and it really helps to have people say nice things.

I haven't really used flash, only in college for websites and stuff but meh. Ive recently got in the mood for art so I will be doing loads for like 2 weeks then I will have about a month where I don't even pick up a pencil.

question @ kai: did you do your DP?

I've wanted to draw a lot in college but I only usual have my Death Note with me and I don't even want to wright in it never mind doodle.

Melancor
05-15-08, 07:28 PM
You could use GIMP if your Photoshop is broken.

Nice pictures anyways.

Cyrus the virus
05-15-08, 08:47 PM
I have my own style and...I'm a big fan of naruto and dont see the resembalance...at all...I just dont like being told ive coppied when I know I haven't, mmmmmmk?

Example A.

That's a nice... one winged angel there. Half-angel maybe? It's good, it really is, you just really need some inspiration from a source 100,000,000 children don't watch every Saturday morning. It'll make your development all the more special if you aren't drawing the same thing all people your age are.

ANGELxZER0
05-16-08, 01:26 AM
The whole angel thing is based solely on my own story i have developed and the wing is only there because i was bored, it was originally going to be an arm guard but I got lazy with the shading. XP. Just like I always do.

Also my inspiration is drawn from many different sources, each character I put research in to design them for Angel Zero, I designed him with everything I think is cool, nothing more, and as I said, he started out as a knight so I'm not just copying from an anime.

Anyway I'm still kind of new at digital art, I haven't really practiced so I find it hard to get the desired effect, I appreciate the criticism but next time tell me what I can improve instead of just my originality, you have only seen a very small selection of my work so you don't really know.

So, kinda goes to everyone, if you don't have anything helpful or nice to say don't say anything, If your mean or whatever I don't care as long as it tells me what I need to improve on.

Heart of Zaga
05-16-08, 01:33 AM
Values, muchacho.

The colors in your pictures are too monotonous; they don't reach the extremes, it doesn't really have shadows, thus it also lacks highlights.

You could use GIMP if your Photoshop is broken.

ANGELxZER0
05-16-08, 07:05 AM
As I said, I get lazy when it comes to shading, I think I've done 2 pictures with nice full gradient shading that worked really well. however when i get my photobob working again i do intend to try a dull on attempt since I'm not rushing to get all my college assignments in now.

AdventWings
05-16-08, 09:14 AM
To tell you the truth, I'd have very little clue about how your style is similar to Naruto. I mean, it just doesn't scream Naruto enough to me.

Well, I guess it's more or less something you could aim to emulate for a start. Hell I began my career off of Evangelion. (Ha.)

Ignore that Cyrus. He's just trying to pester you to be good enough to draw him an avatar. :p

As for pointers, I would suggest using thinner lines. Bold lines are good for borders and when you want things to stand out, but if they're all bold then it tends to mess up with the highlights of the details. So... yeah. If you're using a brush tip of about 10-12 pts, try slimming it down to about 3-5 pts for the lines instead. That should help give your image more emphasis on form and colors than the lines themselves.

And seeing that you're using a mouse to draw, as opposed to a pen mouse (or graphic tablet) you might want to play around with brush opacity and flow rate of the brush style. You're coming along fine in the soft-tone coloring style, but it might be a bit hard with an input device that doesn't work with pressure. That's only a suggestion, so you can ignore it if it's not helping you improve. :p

Good work so far! Keep it up! ^_^

ANGELxZER0
05-16-08, 10:02 AM
I've tried graphics tablets and I just can't use them, I feel I have more control with a mouse. when I shade properly I usual use 5 layers. The base colors, and over that 4 hue+sat layers, two dark and 2 light.

also most of my lines I have around 2 pt (3 for border) so... guess I gotta go to 1.

oh and Cyrus, if you think I should be drawing something everyone else isn't, give me something to draw then.

AdventWings
05-16-08, 10:16 AM
What?! You're using 2-3 pts for the lines?!

*Stares at the pictures*

...What resolution are you using? I generally work at 800x600 pixels at 100 dpi. You shouldn't go any lower than that since its hard to get in the really fine details. :(

And I hear you about the Mouse > Tablet. I used it a lot during my early years, but it always involve scanning hand-drawn pieces while Photoshop is reserved for digital colors only.

How did you start off drawing like?

ANGELxZER0
05-16-08, 10:43 AM
Originally i just edited sprites but for photoshop, I always scan a picture in and re-line it.

I work at whatever it scans in at, so the resolution is around 72 or 300 dpi....never really understood the resolution thing.

AdventWings
05-16-08, 10:53 AM
Hmmm... Generally, scanned works come in around 200-300 dpi, although 300 dpi would be really large. Oh, well. It gets pretty technical after we get to that, so I'll spare you the headache. :p

Looking good, so far. Keep at it and see where it takes you. ^_^

oren
05-16-08, 06:52 PM
Originally i just edited sprites but for photoshop, I always scan a picture in and re-line it.

I work at whatever it scans in at, so the resolution is around 72 or 300 dpi....never really understood the resolution thing.

Ha ha I won't spare him that AdventWings. This is as far as I know thanks to a friend who's ripping thier hair out over prints:

72 dpi is for general internet resolution like displaying things on deviantArt or wherever you host your images. Just for computer screen displays. It keeps the file small. :)

300+ dpi is if you plan on making prints. It makes it so that when it comes out on paper there isn't any dots and spots or anything thats close to pixelated images. It's also a good if you want people to see really nice crisp images on computer. Also it mages the file huge. :D

Do you use a tablet for making line art?

Heart of Zaga
05-18-08, 06:49 AM
You should upload all your pretty art into an Althy album for your profile. It seems I am the only one who ever goes wild with this feature.

Edit: just to clarify that art isn't mine... >>'

ANGELxZER0
05-21-08, 03:32 AM
I've been concentrateing on faces when I found I had some difficulty with them. I have only been drawing them but here they are.....enjoy, hate...whatever.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/ANGELxZER0/Liolf.png
Li'olf, I did this to test out doing beast characters.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/ANGELxZER0/angelzero.png
This was my third attempt at home and I'm quite pleased with

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/ANGELxZER0/darkzero.png
I did this this morning sat in the college cafeteria.

I intent to photoshop at least 2 of them at a slightly later date.

Squ
05-21-08, 05:23 AM
It's quite nice work. I like it. Regardless of what style it is, I like the fact that he has
developed such a skill. I can't draw, and even if I wanted to exactly copy an existing
image, I still wouldn't be able to pull it off. I have respect for people that can pull it
off ^^

Keep up the good work.

ANGELxZER0
05-22-08, 02:02 PM
Well now ive decided to do more photoshop work, first is dark zero trying a realistic style of shadeing.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/ANGELxZER0/darkzerocolcopy.png

Next is Xzia, the style of shadeing was compleatly accidental but i think it worked very well.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/ANGELxZER0/XZia-full.jpg