PDA

View Full Version : Premonitions

A Nony Mouse
05-20-08, 01:28 PM
Wasn't sure if I could post this here, but this is a quest :)
All bunnying approved via AIM.
Closed.
The redwood spear whipped through the air at an impossible speed, cracking loudly against each wooden sword as they tried to advance of their target. Travis whirled about, wielding the polearm like an extension of himself. His breathing came fast and shallow, his chest heaving with the exertion of fending off his three attackers. One wooden sword got far too close and the red-haired fighter was forced to dance out of the way at the last second to avoid a painful hit. Internally reprimanding himself, Travis focused his entire being on slowing his breathing, staying aware of the practice blades, and beating them aside no matter what.

The warm breath of his opponents became clouds of fog when they hit the cold air and the warrior kept track of their movements by the telltale shift in the puffs of wispy white air. As he pivoted nearly full circle, the Akashima spear spun about and smashed into the one of the swords. Splinters exploded from the hit, showering Travis in bits of oak. He ignored the discomfort that it caused and remained entirely devoted to the exercise.

However, the redhead was not content to stay on the defensive. Any time that there was a perceptible pause in the oncoming attacks, the spear thrust straight toward an enemy. But no matter how close he got to a hit, the wooden sword always came in to block at the very last second. He cursed under his breath every time there was a close call like this and he became more and more discouraged with every deflection. Surely he had the skill to hit one of the three…

Pain shot up his arm as a blunt wooden blade connected with his wrist. Wincing in pain, he nearly let go of the spear, but he managed to maintain his grip until he stopped spinning. Turning to the adversary who had scored the exercise-ending hit, he bowed low. “Nice job, Victor,” he complimented the half-naked monk. The other two came over to clap their friend on the back and congratulate Travis on lasting as long as he had. They exchanged tips to one another, pointers on how to improve their fighting, before separating to their respective corners of the courtyard.

Pulling his tunic over his head to escape the chill air, the red-haired warrior gathered his belongings. “Master Kiltias!” one of the monks called to him. “We should run a swordsmanship exercise next.” The other two nodded their agreement, few of the Ai’Bron got to see the Pagoda Master use his famed double-bladed sword.

Master? Travis paused. Why did he call me ‘Master’? Shaking his head, the adventurer scooped up the remaining few items he had brought to the courtyard and made for the open archway nearby.

“Master Kiltias,” a breathless monk greeted as he bowed low. “Grandmaster Bloodrose wishes to see you. He says that it is urgent.” This monk was a slight fellow, likely better suited to a library than to a battle courtyard.

“Yes, of course,” Travis replied. He could always make time for the Grandmaster.

Bloodrose? the adventurer stopped walking. How does he even know me? Shaking his head to dismiss the feeling of disequilibrium, the Pagoda Master jogged to catch up with the monk leading him toward the Grandmaster’s office.

A Nony Mouse
05-21-08, 08:52 AM
As they walked, Travis tried to recall the battle that had taken him to the rank of Pagoda Master. But no matter how hard he concentrated on the memory, his mind was filled only with vague images and fog. He sighed heavily, wondering what exactly was going on. The Grandmaster barely knew who he was; why did he want to see him?

“Master Kiltias,” the monk bowed low, indicating the doorway to his left. “Grandmaster Bloodrose awaits.” Travis knocked lightly on the door and heard the Grandmaster’s booming voice beckon him in. Opening the door and striding confidently into the man’s office, he was surprised to see a worried look etched across Teric Bloodrose’s face.

“You wanted to see me sir?” he asked, moving toward the large oak desk where Bloodrose sat.

The Grandmaster gestured to a chair, “Sit, sit. Yes, I had you summoned. Travis, I don’t know how to begin…” The older fighter seemed very out of sorts, his silver grey hair poked out from his head at odd angles and his deep blue eyes were filled with worry. Something was obviously troubling the grizzled veteran; something that involved Travis.

“I’ll get right to it,” he finally stated, “There’s been news of an assassin within the Hierarchy.” Travis’ brow furrowed and the Grandmaster nodded. “Yes, right here posing as a Warrior or a Master is someone who has his, or her, heart set on ending my life.” Bloodrose’s head dropped to his chin in sorrow. There was a long pause and Travis wondered if he should say something…

“Why me!?” the Grandmaster screamed into the air, thrusting his hands toward the ceiling. “Who would want to kill me?” A sob caught itself in the man’s throat and Travis felt increasingly awkward. Clearly the man was having a hard time dealing with the news, why did he need to be here?

Just as the red-haired fighter was going to ask that very question, Teric turned and stared into his eyes. “I need you to find the assassin,” he said enthusiastically. Sliding off the desk’s surface and walking slowly toward his younger counterpart; the Grandmaster’s eyes began widening. “Yes, it’s perfect! Find the assassin and kill him before he kills me!” A maniacal laugh erupted from the mercenary’s throat and his gnarly fingers latched onto Travis’ shoulders. He advanced even closer, forcing Travis to turn his head to the side to avoid contact.

“Yes…” his sibilant voice quieted but he held Travis with his gleaming eyes.

“Uh, sir…” the redhead stammered for a reply.

“Please,” Bloodrose let go of the Master and fell to his knees. “Please kill the assassin, Travis. I haven’t the strength for this!” He began to weep openly and Travis backed away.

Crying? he marveled. Everyone always speaks of Teric Bloodrose as a good-natured man with a body of steel and a heart of stone. He gazed down at the nearly prostrate form of the Grandmaster before him. What is going on?

Bending down, he rested a hand on Teric’s back. “Grandmaster,” he announced. “I would be happy to eliminate this threat.” Although his voice portrayed confidence, his mind reeled. Had something happened to alter the Grandmaster’s personality so drastically?

Bloodrose rose quickly to his feet, laughing and clasping the young Master on the shoulder. “Travis!” he lavished, “I knew I could count on you!” Clapping his hands together joyously, the older man continued laughing. The spark had returned to his eyes and Travis thought that he could see the warrior everyone admired; the man who had battled his way to the top of the Pagoda mercilessly. Then it was gone as Bloodrose wiped away the tears of joy and ushered Travis from the room.

“I know nothing that will help you,” he told Travis as they stood in the hall. “Except to be careful; everyone is suspect.” After shaking hands, the two Hierarchs parted ways. The day’s events still confused Travis, but he was determined not to let the Grandmaster down. His life depends on it, he realized. Blowing his breath out slowly, he shook his head.

What am I doing here?

A Nony Mouse
06-04-08, 09:29 AM
The day was still young and so Travis decided to spend the next few hours creating a solid plan for how he would flush out the assassin. He couldn’t very well post guards outside of the Grandmaster’s office; that would warn the assassin that he had been found out. Asking each of the Hierarchs would also accomplish nothing for he would have no reliable method of separating the truth from the lies. Besides, he thought. I’m not going near Dan Lagh’ratham unless I have to. A shiver ran down his spine at the thought of the Saraelian and he quickly turned his mind to other matters.

He found himself pacing the halls of the Pagoda aimlessly, his mind turning in circles. How could he possibly find an assassin among the ranks of his fellow Hierarchs? Each Warrior or Master had access to whatever they needed courtesy of the Ai’Bron magic at their disposal. Under the pretense of adding to their arena, any one of them could easily have the monks craft something deadly. And then use it to kill Teric.

There were just too many possibilities.

Travis’ idle wandering brought him to the lobby of the Pagoda where several challengers waited for their chance to battle one of the Warriors. Ai’Bron monks darted about, taking down information and answering questions. Travis paused in front of the main desk and let his gaze wander. His eyes soon lit upon the board detailing every Hierarch’s name and position. “I might as well go through this systematically…” he muttered. After fetching a scroll and a pen from behind the desk, he copied down all the names of possible suspects. When he was done, he scanned the list.

Masters; Godhand Striker, Josh Cronen, and Travis Kiltias. Warriors; Dan Lagh’ratham, Karuka Tida, Monica, Jobe, Tom Carraway, and Charles Talbott.

“Now who would want to kill the Grandmaster?” he wondered.