PDA

View Full Version : No Purpose ((open for two others))

Feral_Kid
05-22-08, 02:52 PM
"A...purpose?" Kid said confused. "I've never tryed that before."

The old man laughed weakly, "It's not a food, child. A purpose is your reason of being. It's the things that you wish to accomplish in your life time before you pass on."

Kid was still abit confused but he was catching on pretty quick. "So if I wanted to see the world then would that be a purpose?"

"I suppose thats a start." he grinned at Kid and placed a hand on his head.

The old man was Kyte, he was eighty-seven years old and had gone completely blind. This was probably the only reason that he hadn't run the little darkling out of his house sooner. His first meeting of the old man had been a bit of a surprise. He had been used to people chasing him away or fearing him for being a darkling but Kyte had been the only person to show him consideration. At the time of there first meeting, Kid didn't know what it meant to be blind but Kyte let him know what it meant as well as many other things that he had never learned about.

"Kyte, I'm going to go into town to see if I can find a purpose." he dashed out of the door and down the street.

Silly thing, you can't buy a purpose, its something you have to discover for yourself., Kyte thought to himself as Kid dashed through the door.

Kid made his way to town and begin to walk around aimlessly. He wasn't quite sure how to look for a purpose but he made sure not to look others in the eye's and he made it a point to keep others from seeing his butterfly birthmark.

((Any info on darklings is on my character registration page.))

Zetsubou
05-22-08, 03:43 PM
May I? Another child playmate, eh?

Zetsubou was in town, her blue eyes darting around for something, anything, to steal. She just need the thrill. And it had to be something easy preferably.
The town was bright and bustling, people coming and going, talking, laughing, shopping, so Zetsubou blended in well. Although she did attract attention because of her horn, most shrugged it off and ignored her. Afterall she was only a child, and if older civilians, most likely men, were to talk to her, that would of been seen weirder than the horn itself. And a bit creepy.

"There!" She directed Nym to look at a small child, wandering aimlessly. "This should be easy, yes?" With a quick nod, the Nym, her familiar, knew exacatly what to do and leapt off of her shoulder. A quick smirk slipped across the young girl's mouth as her squirrel ran in front of a child about her age. "Hey!" The squirrel shouted, directing it at Kid, waving it's little arms above it's head with a sly smile on it's furry face, "Wanna play?"

Walking behind him quietly, the young girl slowed her breathing so she could hardly be heard over the bustling crowd. As she got closer, she held her breath, and tried to put her hand in his pocket, concentration plastered across her fair immature face.

Feral_Kid
05-23-08, 11:26 AM
He put a finger to his lips and tilted his head in a confused manner. He had been out in the real world for almost a year now but he had never meet a creature such as this. He bent down and examined to creature before reaching out and poking it with his forefinger.

"Play?" he got an excited look in his red eye's and nodded his head, "Sure I would love to play a game."

About this time, he put his hand in his pocket only to find it already occupied. Instead of the one or two gold pieces that bounced around in his pocket he was holding what felt like a hand. He looked behind him to see a girl a little taller then he was. He was a bit confused still because he didn't know what theivery was but he assumed she wanted to play.

"Oh! Did you want to play too?" he grinned at her before noticing the horn on her head. He had never seen anyone with a horn sprouting from there forehead.

Zetsubou
05-23-08, 12:35 PM
Zetsubou cringed, knowing she'd blown it, and even the squirrel, who was currently rubbing the spot on it's head where it had been poked, looked at her fearfully. Then it nodded quickly and the little girl understood exactly what he meant. "Yeah, a game..." She needed to know a game now. She'd never played a game before, her mother had brought her up to become womanly, even when she was young she had to make her own dinners. But that never worked well.

She noticed his attention was diverted to the horn on her head, and without looking her hand moved away from his and grabbed a gold coin, then she pulled it out, her hand in a fist. "Well, you know, um.." She moved her hand behind her, and the squirrel darted round, it's arms outstretched as she dropped the coin. Grabbing it, Nym quickly wrapped his bushy tail around it, almost totally obscuring it's shine.

'I'm lost for words. I wasn't expecting this. I don't know any games!' She looked at the ground and gulped, losing eye contact with Kid, who still seemed to be fascinated by her strange addition to her forehead.

Feral_Kid
05-23-08, 01:23 PM
He hadn't even noticed the coin that she had pulled from his pocket as he continued to smile at her. "I'm Kid. It's nice to meet you. What game should we play?" before he gave her a chance to answer he burst out, "Oh oh oh, we should play tag?" He was very excited to have someone to play with. No one wanted anything to do with the young darkling usually and it was very rare to find someone willing to play with him.

He poked the girl on her horn, "Tag! Your it." he turned and dashed down the street as fast as he could. He weaved in and out through the busy market and had two or three people yell at him for goofing off but it didn't slow him down.

Zetsubou
05-23-08, 03:33 PM
Zetsubou turned to Nym who shrugged and started walking in the opposite direction. "Where are you going?" She asked him, and he looked back answering, "He's ran off, we have his money, let's go!"
But Zetsubou looked longily in the direction Kid had run, "I feel mean though." Then the squirrel shook his head, "Look here, Zet, I say wha- Hey!"

The little girl had totally ignored him and darted after the little boy, accidently jabbing someone with her horn in the process, and Nym was now trying to keep up and not get stood on. Dodging a few people who got in her path, she turned quickly, grabbing Nym who squeaked fearfully and threw him over a crowd of people. Pushing through them roughly, her eyes locked on Kid. She was catching up.

Her eyesight darted upwards, and so did her arms as she smoothly caught the now hysterical squirrel. But Zetsubou just laughed, "Better than getting stood on."

Shoving the squirrel in her pouch, she now concentrated on catching up. Afterall, all she really wanted to do was introduce herself, but this Kid seemed like he had ADHD. Then she saw him, her bare feet pounding against the cobbles as she reached with her arm. She thought this was what you did. As her fingers touched his shoulder she shouted, "Tag!?" But as Kid turned, she collided with him.

One problem with being fast. You need to know how to brake.

Feral_Kid
05-23-08, 04:14 PM
The moment he turned to see how much distance he had made from her, he collided with her. He flew backwards and landed on his back with a loud thud. Her horn had caught hold of the back of his shirt and ripped a piece of it off revealing the butterfly birthmark on his neck that he tried to keep hidden.

He leaned foreward and laughed childishly. "WOW! Your so fast." he hadn't realized the piece of his shirt was ripped away. "Does that mean I'm it?"

Before the both of them had time to say anymore, the market began to stir. People began to run away in the opposite direction. "Oh my god, its a darkling, in our town." one person said. "Get outta town, you little monster."

His cover had been blown, he didn't wanna leave though. He couldn't force himself to leave the old man back home. "I'm not hurting anyone. Please, just let me stay."

The town folk would hear none of it though. He had been through this before. The exile, the hate that was directed at him in the form of rocks and other objects. The first rock came at his shoulder and another at his leg. He only stood there with tears filling up in his eye's. This was not the outside world that he was told about.

The soldiers had begun making there way through the crowd towards him.

Zetsubou
05-24-08, 11:38 AM
Zetsubou arose shakily, there were too many people now. As a rock hit her in the face, she growled lowly under her breath, fangs bared. Her squirrel wrapped itself around her neck protectively as she stood in front of the Darkling. Silently she glowered at the citizens, her blue eyes narrowing and she looked suprisingly scary for a little girl.

But it didn't work.

"She's protecting the Darkling! She's his Guardian. Exterminate her. Get out of the town!" Roars from the crowd got louder and her eyes widened. The wild animal defence was a failure. "Leave him.." whispered Nym in her ear, but she said plainly, "No."

Turning Zetsubou grabbed Kid's hand and dragged him through the streets. Being fast was a good thing now, and as she passed certain more 'aggressive' people, her fingers couldn't keep to themselves, and her horn was a good offence as well as defence.

She was close to the outskirts now, but citizens, guards and dogs, were chasing after them. "Where do you live?!" She screamed behind her to the little boy. Looking back she saw the woods, her 'home' as she liked to call it. They were nearly out of town...

Feral_Kid
05-24-08, 05:31 PM
Why? Why is she helping me? he thought to himself as she pulled him by his hand through the crowded and terrified people.

"I was living in this town but I'm afraid it's only going to make it rough on the old man I was living with if I go back there." he thought for a moment. "I'll leave town alone. I don't want you to be in any further trouble."

His feet almost couldn't even keep up with her speed as she continued to pull him down the street toward the edge of town. "H-hey....why did you help me anyway?" he glanced down, "Why.....?"

He remembered the first time anyone had ever showed him consideration. The person that had freed him from his years of darkness and isolation, Urie. He recalled the old prison keeper and the warm smile that would fill his wrinkled old face when Kid would emerge from his cell and walk free, even if it were for just a few hours out of the day. All this made him wonder what made people so different. First Urie, now her. What did they have that made them act the way they do.

He came back from his flashback still being pulled down the street. "I ran off before you could give me your name. Would it be to late to ask for it now?"

Zetsubou
05-25-08, 09:35 AM
The little girl mumbled, not really putting any empahasise into her words, "You're leaving town with me, I'm in a lot of trouble now anyway."
She was too busy aiming to get to her woodlands, and keeping her eye on Nym who was currently mauling a man with a knife. Once the squirrel came running back to her, just keeping up behind Kid, Zetsubou didn't stop until she could breathe the suddenly fresh cool air of the woods. Darting inside, the guards stopped at the edge, before turning to the civilians and motioning them all to get back, "They're gone."

She still didn't halt until she reached her well-known clearing deep in the center of the woodland. It was only small, surrounded by oaks, elms, and birch with the odd pine tree, and rocks scattered on the ground. Well, not little rocks, but large ones to sit on. Suddenly stopping, she released Kid's hand and breathed heavily.
Turning to face him, she smiled cheerfully, finally answering his questions, "Heh, I'm Zetsubou, but call me Zet, Zetsu or Bou. Zetsubou is quite hard to say in times of need."
The squirrel jumped up onto the rock, and looked between the two, then let the little girl continue, "And, well, I helped you because, you're still young, and I don't want you to get hurt. I hope you would of done the same for me."

Brushing her pink hair out of her eyes, she plonked down on the stone closest to her, and Nym scurried onto her knee. "I felt like I needed to. Like it was my purpose at that moment in time."

Feral_Kid
05-26-08, 03:15 PM
Again I hear that word. It was her purpose? Her reason of being, as the old man said?

He flopped down on the rock beside her. "I'm so confused." he ran his hand through his hair and looked at the ground. "All these years of learning I could have been doing and I've spent them locked away like a animal." he held his hands in front of his face. "No, like a monster more like it. I wonder if a person like me could ever find a purpose in this life"

He closed his eye's for a moment and looked back up at her. He must have pushed his doubts from his mind and regained his childish nature. "Thanks alot. If it hadn't been for you, I don't know what the guards would have done to me." he pushed himself off the rock and bowed to her politely like the old man taught him.

"I was wondering though....." he broke off, "can you tell me more about purpose? Like, how to achieve a purpose. You know....like you did just a moment ago when you believed that it was your purpose to help me." Perhaps she could give him some help on how to find a purpose for his life.

Zetsubou
05-28-08, 04:02 PM
Zetsubou looked at him blankly, thinking quietly, before looking at the grass with a frown, stroking her familiar. "Well.." She started then shook her head, she didn't like that explanation. The squirrel scurried out from her grasp and ran up her neck to fix her hair, it was a habit.

"Well," She arose from the rock and walked over to Kid, her hand to her chin, then she started, "A purpose... It's like something you need to do. Something you have to do before you die. Something that must come first. And if you were to do anything, it would be your purpose."
The vacant expression on the other child's face made her shake her head, "I need a reference.."

Suddenly she looked up from the floor and grinned, "I got it. You know before? It was my purpose to help you at that moment. It was like, if I didn't help you, my life wasn't complete. If I didn't do it, I would feel really guilty. It was something my body just made me do, because it was my purpose."

She looked at him hopefully, her eyes shining with intelligence as she explained. Zetsubou just hoped he would understand.

Warklaw
06-19-08, 06:01 AM
((hope you don't mind me joining. Ayer isn't a child, but his familiar is a pup. Besides, Kid is going through similar things Ayer went through [and still is going through] as a child, so Ayer could be a mentor/guardian for the two of you.))
Tears... For the first time in forty years, Ayerwulf cried. His last hope, his only purpose, had died along with his beloved Narida. He held her prized amulet in his hands, blood dripping onto the ruby, his tears of blood. Not only had his last hope of happiness die with her, but so did an entire species of beautiful animals. Ancient Wolves, a mere pup of a half-year sat at his feet, pawing at his leg.

"What am I here for?!" Ayerwulf yelled into the foresty outskirts, causing birds to scare from their perches. "Why, Father Wolf? Why do you have me live, only to bear The Burdens? Why have you forsaken me, Fenrir?!" Ayerwulfs sobbing became more bestial as he felt waves of sorrow flow over him like the tides of Scara Brae.

"I am sorry, Nalva, I have... OI! GET 'yer fuzzy little arse back her, pup!" Nalva had run off, The Last Lycan, the last of a strain of "monsters" , chased after his only friend. He chased her, to find her run up to two small children.

'What in Fenrir's name are two children doin' out here?' Ayerwulf thought to himself. He stood back, at the edge of the trees, not watching the children, but the mass that ebbed and flowed from the city gate. Ayerwulf's keen lupine ears heard such rabblings as, "kill the monster" and "burn them alive"

Ayerwulf growled as the horrid memories of his childhood surfaced, "Over my bloody, dead, body..."

Taskmienster
10-02-09, 03:18 PM
This thread has been waiting for over a year. If you would like to complete it, or work on it further, you can PM myself or another staff member and ask for it to be moved. However, till that time, it will be resting in the Scara Brae Archive forum.

Thanks,
~Task