PDA

View Full Version : Quest for The Glorious Light (Closed, but feel free to read)

Xos
05-31-08, 01:11 PM
It was a generally pleasant day in Scara Brae as Xos made his way back to the island he had originally started in when wild magic brought him to Althanas.
Now he was returning with a mission. The monks of Aibrone at the Citadel had told of a place hidden on this island where he would learn many things. Knowledge was power, and Xos needed power. He wondered if it was run by the Aibrone order or just what it's story was.

Either way he was here to find out, and he leapt out of the boat with an air of excitement as it pulled up to the docks. He decided to look around town for a day or two before finding the others and heading off.

It was mid-day when he had landed, and deciding it was time for some lunch, he set off for a nearby tavern, named The Guilty Virgin Inn.

"Odd name for a Tavern." Xos remarked to himself.
He went in and sat down at the bar.

"What'll ye have stranger?" asked the bartender, who happened to be polishing a mug with a cloth.

"Oh, I think I'll have some ale, and, what's on special for today?" Xos asked.
"I have a nice deer haunch just freshly roasted if your in mind for a bit oif victuals." the bartender said sliding over a fine local variety of ale.
"Oh that sounds nice, you got any baked potatos to go with that?" Xos asked.
"Have I got any baked potatos he asks, why I've got the finest potatos this side of the Windlacer mountains. It'll see if Ithana has any baked up in the back." the bartender said, moving off to the kitchen in the back.

"So what brings you to Scara Brae?" asked an old man not too far off at the end of the bar.

"Me, oh, just hunting down a rumor the monks at the citadel told me about." Xos said.

"Really? I followed their advice once, that's how I met my wife Teria, built this inn, and had my son, Ron, the barkeep. Listen to my advice son, don't take the easy way if you try to follow their advice. Always look for the path of most resistance, it reaps the greatest rewards, that's what they told me." the old man said.

"I'll be sure to keep that in mind." Xos said.

Ron returned with a nice portion of Venison, and a potato that had infact just finished baking. Before Xos could ask, Ron set next to it some butter, some salt, and even some pepper.

"You really know what a fellow wants don't you?" Xos asked, amazed.
"Me? No, not really. My wife, she's the one that has the gift, doesn't extend more than what the normal needs of an inn are though, which is fine by me." Ron said.

"Interesting, I never would've thought such a thing possible." Xos said, as he cut open his potato, buttered it up, spread a little salt over it, and added a pinch of pepper. Nodding to Ron, he let the butter, salt, and pepper get taken away, as he fell to eating his lunch.

Afterwards he left. His tab came to a whole gold piece, a tab he payed happily.

He wondered through the Bazaar, looking at all kinds of oddities and novelties. His favorite was The Mirror of Lies, a mirror which told nothing but lies to the person looking at it.

"You are a brave, powerful man. I fear you." it had said when Xos looked at it.

Finally, at long last, he realised the day was drawing to a close, and so he went back to the docks, looking for a sign of his two companions he was told to wait for, and seeing no sign of them, went back to the The Guilty Virgin Inn, and ordered a room for the night.

The next day seemed full of promise, as it dawned bright and clear. Xis decided to wait around the docks to see if someone came in.

Valanthe
05-31-08, 02:53 PM
Valanthe had come in the previous night, on a second ferry.

Back in Corone, she had left for the forest when she exited the Citadel to spend the night in the wild. She still did not trust the city. That was why, when she had reached the docks, she was disapointed she had missed the first ferry with Xos. So she waited for the next one, and took it.

That was how she got to Scara Brae the same night Xos got there in the afternoon.

As in Corone, she took off for outside the city, preferring to sleep under a tree in the wild.

The next day she too wandered around the city a bit, looking at it's wares. She too found The Mirror of lies, and when it looked at her exclaimed with disgust "What a dog!"
"What? I am not a dog!" she yelled irrationally at the mirror not knowing it was a magic novelty mirror.
"Here fido, here's a bone, go fetch!" it said.
"Really now, getting into arguments with magic mirrors of lies? Lets not reveal how simpleminded we really are." The shopkeeper said.
Valanthe blushed and ran away.

She decided at that point to go down to the docks, where she saw Xos waiting around.
"Well, if it isn't Mister Compassionate himself, get over our citadel match?" Valanthe asked.

Xos
05-31-08, 04:25 PM
"For the most part, I see you are whole once more. You see that strange man? What in the world was up with him?" Xos asked, hopping up from the crate he was on and walking over to Valanthe.

You are trash the words still bothered Xos. How could anyone decide what he was, and was not without knowing him personally?

And that aura, what was going on with that aura? Xos wasn't looking forward to questing with Destrudo, and hoped privatly that he wouldn't have to.

Overhead a seagull squawked, and droppings dropped on Xos's robe.

"Stupid Bird!" he shouted as he found out what happened. In anger he gathered up a fireball and threw it at the bird. It squawked with fright and pain as it was hit with the fireball.
"Yeah, how do like it?" he shouted at the bird. He went over and knelt by the ocean to wash it off.

Valanthe
06-01-08, 02:34 PM
Valanthe was about to answer when a bird dropped a present on his robes, making her smile.

as he shouted at the bird she broke into a laugh, and when he threw a fireball at the bird, even moonbeam joined in the laughter, though to the casual observer, it would simply look like she was panting.

"I have no idea what's up with that wierdo. We never did learn his name." Valanthe said.
It was noon, and her stomach indicated that a bit of lunch wouldn't be amiss.

"Any idea where we can get something to eat?" she asked Xos.

Xos
06-01-08, 02:43 PM
"Sure, lets go to the Tavern and inn I'm staying at, The Guilty Virgin." Xos said.
His robes were clean, though wet.

He lead her to the inn, and introduced her to Ron, the Barkeep, and Akbar, the owner.
"What'cha got today?" Xos asked.

"Oh we have some nice ribs going if you'd care for a plateful. I can even get some raw ones for your four legged friend down there." The barkeep said.

"That sounds nice." Xos said.

Valanthe
06-01-08, 03:00 PM
Valanthe thought the name "Guilty Virgin" sounded a little suspicous, but she followed Xos anyway.

"Ribs? Not alot for me, thanks, actually, do you you have any vegetable soup?" Valanthe asked.

"Some, I'll have to warm it back up though." ron said.
"That'll be fine. And make sure my sister down here gets those raw ribs you promised." Valanthe said.

Ron nodded and headed into the back.

"So, you think he'll show?" Valanthe asked.

Xos
06-01-08, 03:20 PM
"No. I don't think he will, I think he feels he can do everything on his own, and doesn't need anyone's advice. But that's alright, we've got the rest of today, all of tonight, and tomorrow to enjoy each other's company before we have to go brave the wild. I'm sure we can do it." Xos said, he was intrested in getting to know Valanthe alot more. Hopefully, he could make a friend, instead of an aquantience.

Ron returned at that moment with the ribs. Xos had a big plate, Valanthe had a little plate, and Moonbeam got a bowl.

Xos took to eating his, clearly enjoying his ribs.

Valanthe
06-01-08, 04:01 PM
To tell the truth, Valanthe thought meat wasn't that appealing at all, preferring instead to stick to her fruits and vegetables, but still she desired it, and the desire itself sickened her occasionally. All the same, she too ate her small portion of ribs. They were good, and she enjoyed them, with an almost beast like satisfaction. This part of her scared her, something within her that was so carnal, so beast like. She feared what would happen if she gave into it.

Moonbeam meanwhile thought she would've enjoyed her ribs better if they came from something she had killed freshly herself. She took to gnawing on the bones, to keep her teeth nice and sharp.

Valanthe looked at Xos, her pile of ribs finished. She looked at the way he seemed to be devouring his ribs, savoring their taste. He looked so beast like, almost, dragonish. He scared her too, for he seemed to have no problems with the beast within him, the same beast within her, that made her want to give in, to lose control. It wanted more ribs, and it wanted other things too. It wanted to be closer to Xos, to hold him, to caress him, to make him hers, forever.

Lost in her thoughts, she didn't notice Ron come back with a straming hot bowl of vegetable soup.

"Ma'am?" Ron asked.
"Huh? oh, sorry." Valanthe said, snapping out of it. She picked up her spoon, and looked into her bowl of soup, slowly eating it, looking at her reflection.

In her eyes she could see the beast looking back at her, wanting out, wanting its freedom, to go wild. For how long could one deny one's nature, how long can one deny the impulses one feels in one's heart?

She didn't know, and she wanted to let go, to let the beast take over, to be a wild woman, at least for awhile. She smiled, deciding to let the beast have it's way, at least in part, for a little while.

Suddenly she realised she had long since finished her soup, and had been sitting there looking at the bowl for the better part of the hour.

"I guess maybe we should go wait for the ferry, or something." Valanthe said, unknowingly adding emphases to the words "or something".

Xos
06-01-08, 05:01 PM
Xos had finished his ribs, and was looking at Valanthe, she seemed lost in thought, struggling with something within herself.

He had to admit she was a very beautiful woman. He wanted a friend, more than just an aquantence through The House of Sora. He didn't really know any of them, and it was more like an employer, employee relationship to him. He was going to be on this world awhile, and a friend would make it bearable.

He looked down at Moonbeam, gnawing on her bones, he wondered if she enjoyed her meal or not. Probably did.

He settled up their tabs with Ron, and turned back to admiring Valanthe. He wondered how soft her hair was, what her skin felt like. He hoped their last party member didn't show, so he could have Valanthe all to himself.

Suddenly she stirred, and suggusted they wait for the ferry or something. He wondered exactly what she had in mind when she said or something.

"There's bound to be something interesting going on somewhere in the city. I'm sure we could let him find his own way ashore." Xos said.

He lead her out to the city, walking slowly. He hoped she would take his hand, let him know, she wanted to become friends too.

He found a travelling storyteller who had a crowd inthralled with the story of two bards from two diffrent lands.

He stopped to listen.

Valanthe
06-01-08, 05:21 PM
As Valanthe snapped out of her thoughts, she discovered he was sitting there, simply looking at her, an act which she found somewhat disturbing.

All the same, she followed him into town. She walked by his side, and unknowingly took his hand, encouraging the beast she let out of it's cage to become bolder.

They stopped to listen to a traveling storyteller. His was an interesting story to hear.

Appearently it was set in a massive empire whose influence could be felt around the world.
The princess and sole heir to the empire fell in love with a common peasant, and gave him her favorite broach as a token of her love. Their love was forbidden, and to make sure nothing came of their passion, the Emporer arrested the boy and sent him to the other side of the world.

There he met an evil wizard, scheming to gain control of The Empire by marrying the Princess himself. Knowing nothing of his plans, and only of his powers, the boy went to the wizard, imploring him for help, telling him his story.

"Aha" the wizard had thought, "By this young fool, I can accomplish my goals."
So the wizard agreed and set the boy on many tasks, slaying beasts, saving villagers, and defeating demons, all of which had been set up before hand by the wizard himself. Soon the boy grew into a man, a knight, famed throughout the empire, and the Emporer himself decided that the princess should marry this knight, not knowing it was the same peasant boy he had sent away so long ago.

The knight agreed to the marriage, for he had desired to marry the princess since they met as children. However, as the knight slept before the day he was to be married, the evil wizard crept in, now an old man, and took the form of the knight, casting a spell on the knight to keep him asleep for many days.

The wedding took place, and the princess married, thinking she had married her childhood sweetheart, the Emporer thought she had married a noble knight, and the wizard was the only one who knew the truth.

However, the princesses love was stronger than the evil wizard's magic, and her broach, still on the knight's person after so many years caused the knight to awaken, and as he did, the wizard lost the knights form. The truth was out, but it was too late.

The wizard fled to the top of an ancient castle, taking his bride with him, and the knight followed, there they did battle and the knight ultimatly slew the wizard, and won the princess as his bride.

"And they all lived happily ever after, the end." the storyteller said.

The audience cheered, for it was indeed a very good story, they heard the full version, not a condensed summary one might tell another in the recounting of that day. Everyone gave the storyteller some money, even Valanthe, as she stood there with her arms around Xos, her head on his shoulder. By this time, the sun had begun to set.

Xos
06-01-08, 05:31 PM
Xos listened intently to the story, and as it ended, he too gave the storyteller some gold. He had an arm around Valanthe, and she had her arms around him, her head on his shoulder, his head on hers.

"So, it's starting to get dark, what do you want to do?" Xos asked.

He enjoyed the feel of her arms around him, he didn't want this moment to end, arm in arm, close like this. He looked at the sky, orange, purple, and red. It was a beautiful sight to see. The birds were calling to each other down at the docks, the ocean waves laping gently at the beach, he couldn't think of anything that would've made this day any more perfect than it already was.

Valanthe
06-01-08, 05:37 PM
"Why don't we go back to your room, lock the door, and not come out until afternoon tomorrow?" Valanthe asked.

She wan't in control, and she didn't want to be. The beast within was roaring, making it's demands known, and she wanted to meet those demands.

Moonbeam had long since layed down. She didn't understand a word of the story, but she could tell her sister was enjoying being with this man-thing, listening to the other man-thing speak. It was obvious to her at least, what was going to happen next, ot at least what her sister wanted to happen next, and she was almost certain the man-thing she was with wanted it too.

Xos
06-01-08, 05:45 PM
Xos smiled, he knew know what she meant earlier by "or something".

Walking back to The Guilty Virgin Inn, he chuckled, catching a hidden meaning behind the name.

He winked at Ron, he simply smiled and nodded, as Xos headed up to the room he had on reservation.

Xos lead Valanthe in, and locked the door behind him.

The next afternoon was bright and clear. Xos went downstairs, somewhat disarrayed, and headed for the bathhouse whistling a jaunty tune, pausing long enough to settle up his bill with Ron.

He was most certain Valanthe qualified as a friend now, if not more.

He knew Valanthe would want a bath herself. He didn't care that much if Destrudo came or not. They decided to go on anyway without him.

He dressed, and met Valanthe at the door.

"Ready?" he asked, smiling.

Valanthe
06-01-08, 05:56 PM
Moonbeam had followed them to the Inn, but elected to not go in the room, knowing full well what was going on behind the closed door. Instead she retreated to the Tavern downstairs, and layed in the corner, watching the stairs.

The customers thought she was quite the sight to see, and she ended up getting free scraps from just about everybody, but she only ate enough to satisfy herself.

When Valanthe came down in the morning smiling, Moonbeam trotted over to her. She could smell his scent all over her, she was glad Valanthe had elected to take a bath.

"Treat him as a good friend moonbeam, Xos is, Xos is going to marry me someday, I've already decided. All the remains is to tell him, and make him think it was his idea all along." Valanthe said.

Moonbeam looked on with understanding eyes.

They met Xos at the door, and hand in hand, arm in arm, they walked towards the city gates leading to the beach outside the city.

Destrudo
06-01-08, 06:52 PM
Destrudo was waiting for them, hidden behind one of the gate pillars.

Three days ago he was in Scara Brae, watching Xos leave.

He remembered Xos magic. He didn't know why he didn't like Xos or his magic, he only knew he didn't. He closed his eyes, and like a dream, he remembered, he was five.
"Look what I can do daddy!" he ran to his father to show off his newest skill. He could make sparks of fire jump out of his hand. He didn't remember his father directly, all he remembered was a fearsome black shadow, with two white eyes, like demon eyes, watching him from the darkness. White eyes in darkness...

"What is this thing you think to impress me with now child?" his father asked.
Destrudo responded by making sparks shoot out of his hand. They didn't last long, disappearing almost as quickly as they appeared, harmless, but a sign that someday he was going to be a powerful wizard.

"So, you think to kill me? You know light hurts me. Have I not generously allowed you to live? Have I not generously given you crust, and water? Have I not generously let you live in a meager shack barely fit for an animal outside my large and luxiousious castle?" his father asked.

Destrudo backed off in fear. He didn't know why his father treated him so mean, why he hated him so.

"Please don't hit me!" Destrudo cried in fear.
"I won't, all the punishment in the world couldn't fix the wrong you have done me. I'm very ashamed of you, and embarrassed by your existence. Get out, get out of my castle. I can't support someone who would rely on a cruch like magic. Weakling, needing some force other than your own muscles to defend you. You make me sick, branding things you don't understand as magic, and trying to control them through energies you will never understand." Destrudo's father said.

Destrudo ran crying, hating himself, hating his magic. That was the day he began to change, to twist, for as he ran, his eyes turned red from their normal brown, and they never turned back.

Destrudo awoke from his memories, and went down an alleyway where he had seen some theif chase a beggar just minutes ago, he was angry about his past, about how he had been treated, but he didn't remember his memories, all he knew now, was that he was angry, and wanted to kill something. The theif screamed so well before he died, it pleased Destrudo to hear such a nice scream. He had broken the theif's arm, and stabbed him to death with his own knife. Then he turned on the beggar, the beggar didn't scream so well, infact he seemed to welcome the relief of death, having eaten nor drank anything in the bast few days.

The next day he watched Valanthe leave.
"Good riddance." he said as her boat sailed out of sight.

He turned to find Brother Onox staring at him.
"So, do you choose to be so haunted by a past you cannot conciously remember that you choose to not go? I'm not entirely without pity, you had a bad childhood, tortured and maimed by your own father. Get over it. I'll tell you something else. If you go, you will begin to remember conciously, and though painful and torturous your memories might be, remembering them will make you stronger, strong enough to defeat your father, to defeat The Lord of Shadows, Shadowlord." Brother Onox said.

"You make such a pleasing offer, but tell me, how will I become stronger?"Destrudo asked.
"You spirit will become stronger, and because of the uniquness of your spirit, so too will you."
Brother Onox disappeared, a chill and vile wind blew all around Destrudo.
"You will become stronger because I will it to be so, now go. In time you will learn more." said a disturbingly horrible female voice that would haunt Destrudo for a long time. He realised the Brother Onox he had just spoken to was not the real Brother Onox, but whoever it was that voice belonged to. The wind blew at him fiercly, so fiercly he had to back up several steps from being knocked over. his eyes were shut, and his arms were before his face. He turned around, and found himself in Scara Brae, he knew it was Scara Brae, because he was on the docks, and there was a sign that said "Welcome to Scara Brae" at the end of the dock he was on.
"How the hell did I get here?" he asked as the wind suddenly stopped.
He surmised it was whoever that horrible voice belonged to.

He wandered the city, and spotted Xos at the far end of the docks, not paying any attention to Destrudo's direction, so Destrudo hurried up and hid. He saw Valanthe and her wolf off in the city.

For most of the day he trailed them, watching them. He hated that story the storyteller told, but refrained from beating him sensless.

Xos and Valanthe had gone to an inn to spend the night together. So Destrudo went to another inn and passed the night. He cleaned the dagger he had stolen. He decided to keep it, one never knew when a blade might come in handy.

The next day he waited by the inn, watching it from behind some crates. They never noticed them. He discovered their destination, and waited for them at the gates, hidden behind one of the pillars the gate was attached to.

"It's about time you two showed up. I thought perhaps you had gotten cold feet and ran off. But all things considered, I don't think either of you a very cold right now. Sickening, holding hands, looking at each other. Love is a crutch, only the weak need love." Destrudo said.

A memory passed before his eyes, one of many.
"I love you daddy." little Destrudo had said.
"Love is for the weak, a crutch. your my son, your not weak, so stop acting like it." Shadowlord had said almost yelling in fear. Shadowlord caught his son, and beat him for the simple act of feeling love. Destrudo didn't know why his father hated him so, feared the emotion of love. Perhaps one day he would find out.

"Yeah, for the weak." Destrudo said, a tear in his eye. He wiped it away, not remembering the memory he had seen.

"Any idea where this place is?" Destrudo asked.

Xos
06-01-08, 08:17 PM
"Why don't you go take a long walk off a short pier?" Xos asked after destrudo's initial response.

"You know, love is not weakness, despite what you might think. I think your the weak one, denying love, everyone else's strength, your own humanity. why do we even need you on this trip?" Xos asked.

He was taken aback when a tear welled up in this strange man's eye.

"You have some serious problems don't you?" Xos asked softly.

He cleared his throat, and spoke again.
"To answer your question, no, I don't know where this temple is, any ideas?" Xos asked.

Valanthe
06-01-08, 08:45 PM
Valanthe meanwhile simply ignored the men and their banter. The Question of where the temple was had been on her mind since, about half an hour ago, certainly not last night, she had something else on her mind.

She stopped, and blocked out all distractions, and spoke, in Druidic.
"Mother of the world, Lady of Nature, I pray thee guide me on my path, show me the way to The Glorious Light." She said. She had her eyes closed, she opened them, and caught her breath. She could see, light, it went accross the beach, disappearing into the distance.

"I, I see it, I see the path. It's this way accross the beach." Valanthe said.

She seemed to notice Destrudo at just that moment.
"I see you just couldn't leave us alone. Back to torment us some more? We don't even know your name, what is your name?" Valanthe asked.

Destrudo
06-03-08, 02:48 PM
"Names are meaningless, Labels easily changed at a moments whim. I need no name, it is enough that I am. However, if you must have a name, Destrudo." Destrudo said.

"So, you say it's accross the beach, lets go then." Destrudo said, impatient to be done with this. He set off accross the beach at a brisk walk.

Xos
06-03-08, 03:00 PM
Xos followed along, glaring at Destrudo.

What makes him think he's so good. I bet I could take him in a one on one fight. He's lucky I'm feeling so nice today or I'd... Which was as far as Xos got in his private thoughts when something caught his eye to the right, where the ocean was. He looked, and spotted a giant crab coming out of the water. It was a monster too, a whole two foot long.
Xos screamed like a little girl in fright and leaped into Valanthe's arms like a chicken.

Valanthe
06-03-08, 03:08 PM
Valanthe was walking along Xos's left, Moonbeam was between the two and Destrudo.

He better not try something, or I'll freeze him in a wave of oceanwater and throw him out to see. Why is he even coming along anyway? Such a totally unneccessary... was as far as Valanthe got in her fights before she heard the mose girlish scream come from Xos, and moments later found herself holding him. She smiled, and then laughed.

"It's...just...a...crab." she said in between fits of laughter, she dropped Xos on the sand. Moonbeam growled at the Crab, but it otherwise was harmless.

Destrudo
06-03-08, 03:13 PM
They had just barely started out, not gone that far, when Destrudo heard the most girlish scream behind him. He turned expecting it to be Valanthe.

"Heh, figures she'd be the real man out of the two of you. Coward." Destrudo said, picking up the crab while avoiding it's claws and throwing it back out to sea. It flew for several feet before splashing back in the water.

"Since your not brave enough to pick up the rear, I will. You stay in the middle where weakling cowards like you belong. Valanthe will take point since she appearently knows the way." Destrudo said with a slight sneer.

Valanthe
06-03-08, 03:22 PM
Valanthe rolled her eyes at Destrudo and proceeded to take the lead.

"I suppose you've never been taken by surprise, and scared out of your wits by something unexpected?" She asked as she walked past him.

Go away, why can't you just go away? I don't like you, we don't need you on this trip, just go away. Let me be with Xos, I want him, not you.

Moonbeam meanwhile circled around the group, sometimes walking behind everyone, sometimes darting far ahead of Valanthe, sometimes walking next to her, or Xos, but never Destrudo.

Xos
06-03-08, 05:54 PM
"Yeah, what's wrong with being startled by the unexpected?" Xos grumbled as he took the middle. Whenever Moonbeam walked beside him, he would occasionally lean over and pet her absentmindedly.

I wish it was just me and her, getting to know one another better. I hope he gets lost. This could've been a more of a date than anything else if he wasn't here. What's got him so arrogant anyways?

Destrudo
06-03-08, 06:25 PM
Destrudo took up the rear. He noticed the wolf walking all over the place, sometimes walking behind him.

He didn't care. He didn't even want to be here. He wondered who's voice it was that had spoken to him, taken Brother Onox's form, a voice that had blown him all the way to Scara Brae. He wanted to know more about that voice, and why it cared so much about how strong he was.

He eyed Valanthe, she had a pleasing form, but she didn't like him. He didn't care, he didn't like her, she was a half-breed. He didn't like Half-breeds, even if they were one complete species. Half-Drow half-Elven, how disgusting. He wondered how desperate her parents must have been to spawn her. He wondered about his own mother.

He didn't know why he smelled roses suddenly, but he did. He thought he heard a voice whispering in his ear, a faint voice, like the ghost of a memory.
"I love you." The voice was like honey.

Love is for the weak, hiding behind a shield of empty emotions, taking from the goodwill of others, hoping their pitiful meager contributions make up for it in return.
He clenched his fist in anger.

He wondered who his mother was, and what she looked like. She was probably weak too.

Valanthe
06-03-08, 07:55 PM
Valanthe was walking along in silence. She was used to forest trails, not sandy beaches. It was hard to walk, it was very tiring, and soon her mind was a blank slate. Soon, after what felt like four or five hours, but was really only one, she had to stop, to catch her breath.

Something was coming up out of the waves.
It looked like another crab.

"Be careful Xos, here comes another crab." she called back his way in jest.

She watched the crab rise, and realised there was something horribly wrong about this giant crab. For starters it was three feet, not two. It was blue, which was okay, blue wasn't all that wrong of a color, but the tenticles comind down out of between where it's legs went made her feel nautious. It had a fish tail coming out of it's back side. It turned and looked at Valanthe.

"I'm an abomination, and I'm here to drink you delcious juicy soul." it said with a note of Joy.

"XOOOSSSSS!!!!!" Valanthe screamed as she ran back to leap into Xos's arms.

Xos
06-03-08, 08:13 PM
Xos was walking along the beach. He was not used to such exercise. Kessingale U had moving sidewalks, and hovering platforms. He never had to work this hard to move somewhere. He was panting and sweating, not really moving that easily, even with his staff.

That was why he was glad when Valanthe stopped for a break.

He looked up when she told him another crab was coming up out of the ocean. He realised quickly that it wasn't a crab, but a monster, and as it spoke to Valanthe and she took off running for him, he almost instinctivly fired off a fireball at it.

"AAIEEE!" It squelched in pain.

As Valanthe reached Xos, he put his arms around her, holding her safe against him, dropping his staff in the process.

Destrudo
06-04-08, 08:54 AM
Destrudo had kept his distance behind them, but it seemed he was falling behind. Sand was indeed a difficult terrain to walk over if one wasn't used to it. He quickened his pace when Valanthe stopped for a breather, to try and catch up, and broke into a run when he saw the thing emerging from the ocean.

He didn't want to be here, but he was certain he would be blamed if he didn't do his part and destroy the monster for them. He caught up to them, in time to see Xos drop his staff.

Destrudo stopped and picked it up, gripping it by one end, and swung at the abomination with all his might. With a crack it hit the monster and it screamed in pain as it's shell fractured, disabling it.

Cracks ran along Xos's staff.

"Light it on fire, it's useless to you now, at the very least I can plunge it into this monster and put it out of it's misery." Destrudo said.

Valanthe
06-04-08, 05:27 PM
Valanthe was glad for the comfort of Xos's arms. She was sorry she teased him earlier.

When Destrudo picked up his staff and smashed the monster with it, she knew now why he was along. He wouldn't hesitate to kill, and in a situation like this, that was neccessary.

"Sorry about your staff Xos, but you know you can always lean on me for support." she said. She pointed at the staff, and a thin jet of flame ran from her finger to the staff, setting it ablaze.

Then she set her head against Xos's shoulder. Moonbeam was standing between her and the monster. She wished it was a few years ago, her teachers wouldn't have hesitated and simply shot that thing with a high powered Lightning bolt. She couldn't wait to be that powerful. This morning she felt up to any challenge, now she felt weak and helpless.

Xos
06-04-08, 05:34 PM
Xos glared at Destrudo when he picked up his staff, and glared even harder at him when he broke his staff and the creature's shell with it.

"Then we shall lean on each other, and be all the stronger for it." Xos said. He tossed a fireball at the staff as Valanthe lit it on fire.

"I'm glad you were here Destrudo. Thank you." Xos said a moment later.

Destrudo
06-04-08, 05:49 PM
When the staff became lit on fire, he turned it, and plunged the burning end into the monster. It had fallen silent and still since his attack, and trather quickly. Either it died, or, more likely, it simply fell unconcious.

Either way it was dead now. Destrudo stepped back as blue smoke rose from the creature. Souls escaped it's body, including it's own.

Xos's staff burned to ashes, and so did the creatures body. Destrudo smiled in smug satisfaction.

"Well, where to now. Surely this place isn't on the ocean, we could've sailed here and saved ourselves a walk." Destrudo said somewhat impatiently.

Valanthe
06-04-08, 06:20 PM
Valanthe freed herself from Xos, and paused.

She closed her eyes, seeking to find the path again, and before she had time to pray for it, she felt it. She opened her eyes, seeing the path once more, it began to wind up into the forest.
She took in the feeling of the presence around her.

"Valanthe..." A voice had spoken, as though from the light itself, it was, unlike any other voice she had ever heard. If the sun had a voice, she was certain it would be as powerful as that voice felt. She looked all around for the voice, as goosebumps raised all over her skin.

"Alright you two, stop playing tricks." she said sternly after not finding the voice.

Then she stormed off into the woods following the path. The Voice, it had only spoken to her.

Xos
06-04-08, 06:38 PM
Xos looked around confused as Valanthe looked around for someone, or something.

"What tricks?" Xos asked as she stormed off into the woods. He hadn't heard the voice, and the beach was now mostly peaceful.

He ran along, caught up to her, and walked beside each other.

"What are you talking about? I didn't do anything, neither did Destrudo." Xos said worriedly.

Destrudo
06-04-08, 07:32 PM
Destrudo simply rolled his eyes when Valanthe accused him of playing a trick.

"Why should I waste my time on something as childish as a prank? Perhaps whatever you thought happened, didn't, or you made it up. Perhaps you should show me how to find the path, least we have to rely on someone who's less than a hundred percent." Destrudo said.

He followed along, wishing he could simply end the day.

Valanthe
06-04-08, 08:25 PM
"You two know full well what I'm talking about. A voice, unlike any a mere mortal could produce, at least alone." she snapped irritably. It had been a very beautiful voice.

"Come Valanthe, Initiate of the ways of nature, I am no trick, I am the Light. I am more powerful than the Gods themselves, for those of this world, are only of this world. I am of all worlds. I know what you seek in your heart. Let me help you attain what you seek." the same voice said again.

"That, that voice that just spoke. Stop your fooling around. What spurious claims you make in your jests, more powerful than the gods, you are the light." Valanthe said, half hoping the Voice was true.

"No Valanthe, this is no jest. Your friends are seperated from you. To them, it was as though you had shot off as lightning through the forest. Fear not, for they will find you before the fall of night. I deprive you not of company though, look, your sister is by your side." The Voice said again.

Valanthe looked around. She didn't remember shooting through the forest.

"But, how, why?" she asked, confused.

"It is your time to speak with me, here, outside, where you feel most comfortable." The Voice said.

Xos
06-05-08, 04:57 PM
Xos was walking beside Valanthe when she and moonbeam simply, disappeared. It was as though she had shot through the forest at the speed of lightning, naught but a blur. If Xos hadn't been looking, he never would've seen the way she went.

"What the hell?" Xos asked, momentarily confused.

He looked around, as though he would find an explaination.

"What just happened?" Xos asked Destrudo, as though he would know.

"VALANTHE!" Xos yelled hoping she would hear him.

Destrudo
06-05-08, 05:05 PM
Destrudo was taken aback as well when Valanthe, for all intents and purposes, disappeared.

"Where did she go?" Destrudo asked confused. He looked around.

When Xos asked what happened, he glared at Xos.
"Don't look at me wizard boy. Your the one with the magic, your the one that's supposed to understand these things. What, did you suddenly become incompetent? Did you forget your lessons?" Destrudo snarled at Xos.

Valanthe
06-05-08, 05:27 PM
Valanthe found the longer she stayed in the light, the less she cared if Xos and Destrudo found herm the more she was content to simply dwell in the light, talking with this strange voice.

"Alright, I'll start with a question, who are you?" Valanthe asked.
"I am that I am. I am known by many names to diffrent people of different religions." The Voice said.
"That doesn't answer my question, so lets try another, what are you?" Valanthe asked.
"I am that I am. I am many things to many people. Creator, Father, Guide, Friend, advisor, these things and many others."
"What do you look like, at the very least?" Valanthe asked.
"You already see me with your own eyes, at least as far as you are capable of seeing me. I am the light in which you stand. My true form is far beyond your ability to comprehend." The Voice said.

Valanthe at last understood, for it seemed as if the voice was coming from the light itself.
"But, I saw ther light, you, as a trail. Are you just that fast, are that long?" Valanthe asked.
"Your question has no meaning, for I cannot be defined in such a way. There is nowhere I am not, except for of course, Nowhere." The Voice said.
"What name then can I call you?" Valanthe asked.
"You may call me by any name you wish, however many have called me what I truely am, The Omnisource, and most simply refer to me as Omni, or The Glorious Light, sometimes simply as, The Light."The Voice said.

Xos
06-05-08, 06:15 PM
"Did you forget your lessons?" the words ran through Xos's mind like a streaker at a championship game.

"What's the matter boy, did you forget your lessons?" asked his test procter, who was also his teacher. His teacher was bald, with a great flowing white beard, old, grey eyes, and wore a white lab coat.

"huh?" Xos asked, startled by his professor's questions.
"Knowledge does you no good if you don't use it. Someday your going to be in the middle of something quite mysterious, and if you forget your lessons, your going to end up making the wrong decisions, especially working with either Magic, or Science." His professor said.

As Xos shook himself out of his memories with those words running through his head, he looked around.

"So then, I theorize that it was that which we came looking for that caused Valanthe to disappear, and further speculate that if we continue to walk in the same general direction she appeared to disappear in, we may find either her, or a path of our own to follow to either meet up with her, or find a gateway to wherever this Glorious Light is. Since we came looking for it, and it's supposed to help us, it is highly unlikely that Valanthe is presently in danger, though I do not wish to dally for an extended period of time in case that is infact not the case. With that being said we should be on the lookout for anything exceptionally unusual." Xos said. Then he turned and set off in the direction Valanthe disappeared in.

Destrudo
06-05-08, 07:41 PM
"So, basically, what your saying is we should set off after her and hope we find her, if we're lucky." Destrudo said with an air of irritation.

"Well, either way, I'm going to find her first, you take to long." Destrudo said walking just a bit faster than Xos.

He set off north through the forest, and everytime Xos would catch up to him, he would go just a little bit faster, until he broke out into a full run. He kept looking behind him making sure Xos wasn't catching up, which was probably why he smacked into the tree and fell over backwards. He turned as he fell, and immediatly wished he didn't, as he fell face first into a pile of fresh deer droppings. Fortunatly for the deer, it was nowhere around.

"It's times like this I hate my life." Destrudo said as he got up. Thank Gods a big river was nearby. He ran over to it, knelt, and washed his face in the water.

Valanthe
06-05-08, 08:45 PM
"So, wait, your what we're here seeking?" Valanthe asked.

"Yes, I thought you would've understood that by now."Omni said.

"Well this is great, lets go get the other two so we can all talk at once." Valanthe said.

"That, while entirely within the realm of possibility, is not going to happen. You seek to further yourself as you've been raised, to that end, you understand things related to the wild better than anything else. Thus, to speak with me here, in the wild, is the most beneficial way of speaking with me for you, though you can call to me from anywhere. Xos is a man of learning and understanding. He Learns best in what he would tell you is an educational setting, such as a Library, or a school. Within my Temple on Althanas is a great library indeed, but that is his story, not yours. Destrudo does not seek The Light, he seeks The Darkness. All find what they seek eventually, it is the way of things. He cannot hear my voice, or see my light, because he does not want to, and if I forced him to, it would destroy him. Yet all the same, I must still give him the chance to come to me, to find me, to desire me."Omni said.

"So, what's to become of Destrudo then, and, you can really help me become a better Druid?" Valanthe asked.
"Destrudo will leave Scara Brae for quite awhile, seeking his past. As for the second question, yes, I can. I will not give you the powers, but I will lead you down a path of experiences and learning that will make you one of the greatest. However, as you are now, you are imperfect, and unable to reach that destination. You've alway7s believed in nature as it's own sentient force, and for the most part, you've been lucky and managed to obtain the ear of some of the nicer nature entities, but eventually, they would cease responding to you, because no one likes being called by a vague and unspecific name to do something for someone that isn't even one of their followers. You must submit to me, and me alone, that I might guide you towards your desires. Your powers as they are are lacking, coming from imperfect beings that aren't even gods. It was, meager compared to others of your same strength. I will fill you with light, giving you true power. Even Moonbeam will begin to grow stronger if she accepts me. Otherwise, your journey was for naught, and while you would grow somewhat stronger, it would not be as great as you could be." Omni said.

Valanthe looked at moonbeam, who had already rolled over on her back in a submissive position. If moonbeam was accepting, she could not bear the thought of not being with her sister in all things. She knelt in the light.

"Then, guide me, fill me with The Glorious Light, show me the way." Valanthe said.

Then, her eyes seemed to decieve her, for it was as if she were floating in an ocean of liquid gold. She drank in the golden white light around her, as it poured into her. It was like Joy, distilled into pure liquid essence. She knew no matter how hard she searched, she would never again know a joy as great as being in Omni's presence, for she could feel Omni all around her. Then, all to quickly, the light faded. She felt different, she felt, better, as though a great weight had been lifted from her. She felt powerful, as though she could single-handedly raze the forest and regrow it. Yet also she knew she was truely no more powerful than before, but this time, her power was real. Everything looked so much cleaner, more vivid. Moonbeam seemed to sparkle almost. Night was coming on, and she was ready for the boys to come to her. She knew this moment would fade, but never completly disappear.

Xos
06-06-08, 04:09 PM
Xos did not want Destrudo to find Valanthe first, so he did his best to keep up and get ahead of destrudo, but Destrudo had long legs, and he didn't, so when Destrudo hit a tree only to face plant into a pile of fresh droppings, Xos couldn't contain himself.

"HA, HA! Serves you right you jerk." Xos said with mirth as he ran by. He carefully walked from stone to stone, but there was a gap where he would have to wade at the end, he remembered his shows airwalked, so he leapt in the air and walked through it the remaining distance and continued on his way. He thought about dropping ball bearings behind him, but didn't need to, he stumbled through a bush, and saw the most beautiful creature he had ever layed eyes on, then he realised it was Valanthe!

She had changed in appearence. Her hair, normally plain white, seemed golden white, with the white shade almost silver in appearence. Somewhere in the back of his mind he realised it was still it's ordinary white, but all the same, it was beautiful. Her skin, still nutmeg brown, seemed to shimmer and sparkle with light. Her eyes, a beautiful Emerald Green, seemed to shine, as though reflecting a great light only she could see. Her hides were gone, replaced by a single full length dress, white in color, as durable as her hides were. It was unclear what it was made of, perhaps it was impossible to know. It looked like it was soft. The feathers, beads, and even the antlers in her hair were all gone.
Best of all, Valanthe was smiling, and this one single fact made Xos feel happy.

Moonbeam seemed to sparkle like Valanthe. Her coat looked neat, clean, and brushed, as though taken care of by an expert groomer.

It felt different to be around both of them, but Xos couldn't quite figure out how it felt different. Xos was somewhat jealous that he didn't know what she went through.

"Breathtaking." was all he said.

Destrudo
06-06-08, 05:42 PM
Destrudo got up from washing his face, grabbed a rock, and threw it at Xos while giving him a dirty look. He missed, unfortunatly. He followed Xos accross the river, and at the gap at the end, simply leapt accross. With his long legs he made it easily.

He hurried after Xos, and noticed it was getting dark out. He was about to say something, when he noticed they found Valanthe. Xos appeared to be looking all googly eyed at her like she was something worth staring at. She was so, bright. It hurt him, physically hurt him to look at her. He turned away from the light, preferring instead to stare into the approaching darkness.

"We should make camp while we have light." Destrudo said simply.

He remembered how Valanthe looked, and almost got sick just thinking about it. Whatever this light was, it was intimidating, even frightening. Did he even want to be apart of it?

He didn't know what Xos found so remarkable about her. So her look changed alittle bit. Did that mean she was somehow, improved? He began to suspect that he was merely being lead on a wild goose chase.

Valanthe
06-06-08, 06:56 PM
The Moment faded, but the feeling was there. The sparkle disappeared.

She smiled when she heard Xos's comliment.

"That's a good idea. I have a bow, so I'll go fetch us something to eat. Xos, set up camp, Destrudo, go gather up some firewood." She said handing out orders.

She set out through the woods a little ways. She made her way to the river, and there drinking from it on her side, was a beautiful Royal Stag. His 14 point antlers spread proudly like a crown over his head, any hunter would've been proud to have them on his wall. Valanthe didn't really want to kill him, but it was either him, or the doe with her fawn. She took heart that maybe that fawn was his offspring.

Taking careful aim, she shot the beast in the head. Moonbeam rushed over and grabbed him before he hit the water, and tore open his throat for good measure.

"I am sorry, gentle creature, but I have need of your meat this day." Valanthe said, apologising to the dead stag. She felt bad about killing it, but realised Xos and Destrudo, especially Destrudo, were bound to be especially nasty without a good meal. She thought Xos might be satisfied with nuts, berries, and fruits, at least for her, but Destrudo seemed the sort to not care who's order he disrupted, so long as he was satisfied.

She skinned and cleaned the stag, wrapping up most of the meat for her and the boys to share, while Moonbeam got a full fourth of the meat to herself. Valanthe paused and made sure to dispose of the dead animal properly, and even said a small prayer for it's spirit, hoping it would find itself a newer, better life. Then she went back to camp.

Xos
06-06-08, 07:32 PM
Xos was going to make camp, then he realised they had none of the normal supplies needed for camp. He wished he had a long pointy cap with Dunce written on it so he could wear it right now, He felt like he deserved to.

He decided to at the very least dig a fire pit so the flames wouldn't start a blaze. Afterwards he just sat there, and when Valanthe returned to camp he stood up.

"Tell me, do I have 'Moron' written all over my forehead, or maybe, stupid, or what about Gullible? I just realised we don't have camping supplies, like maybe a pot to cook this stuff in, or something to prevent us from freezing to death. Don't you DARE suggust sleeping close to Destrudo. I'd rather freeze to death than cuddle up next to him." Xos said, irritated with himself more than anything else.

Destrudo
06-06-08, 08:24 PM
Destrudo meanwhile had gone searching for branches. Unfortunatly for Destrudo, he was not paying attention to what he was grabbing, or where he was grabbing, until he felt stickyness all over his hands. He looked up, and saw an eight foot spider staring back at him. He looked down and noticed he had part of it's web in his hands. He dropped the wood.
"My apologies, I'll uhh, just free myself and uhh, I'll be on my way." he said trying to smile nicely, and failing utterly as he grabbed his knife he took from the theif in corone a day earlier and cut off the webs.

"So, Have a pleasant eving, sorry to spoil things, bye!" He said, and turned, screaming as he ran. The spider of course gave chase. Destrudo wasn't sure why it didn't simply nab him straight off, but he was glad it didn't. He hated spiders, because he feared them, he always did, yet somehow, they always seemed to be around him. Sometimes they left him be, sometimes they attacked. He never could explain this odd Phenomenon.

He ran through camp, right after Xos finished speaking.

"I HATE SPIDERS!" he screamed as he leapt for the nearest branch of a tree and proceeded to climb it as quickly as he could.

The spider itself lumbered into camp, and snapped it's mandibles at Xos and Valanthe. In the dim light, Destrudo could see a widow's mark on it's back.

Valanthe
06-06-08, 09:13 PM
Valanthe was about to answer Xos with her own irritable reply, which probably would've lead to a fight, when a red streak shot by and went up the tree screaming about spiders. This of course made her forget her irritation and all about killing the dear. She was about to laugh, realising it was Destrudo, when the giant spider crawled into camp.

"AIIEEE!!!" Valanthe squealed in fright, having never before seen a spider quite that huge.
She threw the meat at it in fear, hoping it would distract it while she pulled her bow out.
"Moonbeam, ATTACK!" Valanthe commanded, and Moonbeam snarled at the spider, then sprang into attack, biting it's legs and pulling at them, to prevent it from moving.

Xos
06-06-08, 09:36 PM
Valanthe back to camp, when the most awesome thing happened, Destrudo ran screaming like a little girl in fright, complaining about spiders. He climbed the tree, nearby, and Xos smiled. His smile quickly faded as he turned to meet a giant eight foot spider eye to eyes.

"Well, I can't say I blame you on that point Destrudo." Xos said remarkably calmly. Then he screamed loudly in fear as he put his back to the tree.

He used Arcane Blast on the spider, aiming for it's eyes. It worked, putting out three of it's eyes, and opening up wounds in other places. The spider keened in pain. Xos threw a fireball at it, adding insult to injury.

"I wish I had my staff." Xos whined.

Destrudo
06-06-08, 09:46 PM
Destrudo sat up in the tree, shaking. No way he was getting down there and facing that thing personally.He looked at a branch near him, it was thin, and looked weak. It was long enough he could probably stab the thing. He took his dagger, and hacked off the branch, then stabbed at the spider with it.

It did nothing more than irritate the spider. Suddenly with a heart stopping crack, Destrudo's own branch collapsed, and Destrudo fell on top of the things back.
"Eww." Destrudo said as a shiver ran down his spine. Luckily he still had his dagger, so he decided to stab the spider in the Thorax. This appeared to weaken it greatly.

Valanthe
06-06-08, 10:01 PM
Valanthe had her bow in hand, she set an arrow to the string, pulled it to her ear, and missed her goal, hitting it's abdomen instead of it's head as Destrudo fell out of the tree. Fortunatly he stabbed the thing in the Thorax. Moonbeam had removed some of it's legs, and the thing fell over. Valanthe switched to her Club, putting her bow away. She ran over abd hit the thing in the head just as hard as she possibly could.

Success, the spider died, it's poisonous venom spilling into the ground from it's many wounds.

"I say we find another campsite tonight. Come, I know the way, the knowledge was granted to me when I chose to serve The Glorious light. It's up in the mountains." Valanthe said.

Xos
06-07-08, 06:28 AM
"Agreed." Xos said as he watched the thing die.
He lead the way this time, going through the forest until he came to the foot of a mountain, certainly not the tallest on the island, but still a very tall mountain.

Here he sat on a patch of grass near a boulder, relieved to be in a calm, peaceful area. He Sat down, layed back, and promptly fell asleep. He dreamed of Kessingale. He wondered idly in his sleep if he'd make graduation on time.

Destrudo
06-07-08, 06:39 AM
Destrudo followed along, just glad to be away from the spider. He tucked his dagger back in his boot. He wondered idly if they'd find anything to eat, seeing as how Valanthe threw what she had at the spider.

When Xos stopped and laid down near a boulder, he went a little ways away and layed down himself. He didn't want to be too close to Xos, he wasn't too fond of either of them.

"Thanks, and, sorry about earlier." Destrudo said as he fell asleep too.

Valanthe
06-07-08, 12:45 PM
Valanthe followed along, and seeing both of the boys almost immediatly lay down and fall asleep she decided to join them, being quite exausted herself. She layed down next to Xos, choosing to keep him warm, and feel asleep quickly, not even thinking about Destrudo.

Moonbeam decided to sleep next to Destrudo, to help him stay warm.

Whether by fortune, fate, or the will of higher powers, nothing intruded upon them as they slept. Valanthe awoke after a time, but chose to continue laying there next to Xos. Eventually, she knew it was time for them to get up, and so moved off to gather what she could, lest they all go hungry for the day. She left Moonbeam there to howl for her if something happened, though nothing did.

She returned with several local edible nuts and berries, as well as some larger fruits.

"It's all I could find for now." Valanthe said as the two woke up.

After they had time to eat and lift the fog of sleep from their minds, she pointed to a trail running up the mountain.

"That's our path." Valanthe said.

Xos
06-07-08, 01:00 PM
Xos woke up to find Valanthe not too far off with food. Food was always a pleasing prospect for Xos after he woke up.

"A cup of Ixeldian coffee would be nice right now, Ixeldia is a world in which it's soil causes coffee beans to simultainiously come out sweet, tangy, and highly acidic. It's like growing sweet and sour sauce almost. I wonder what Althanian coffee tastes like. Each region would probably have it's own unique flavor." Xos said while munching on a handful of nuts, some berries and a fruit or two.

After seeing the path Valanthe pointed out, Xos got up, stretched, and started climbing.

Destrudo
06-07-08, 01:25 PM
Destrudo woke up in a bad mood, though compared to his normal demeanor, it was impossible to tell. He was upset. HE had shown weakness last night, had shown his vulnerable side. He noticed Valanthe's wolf next to him. The creature was very warm, and he was almost grateful to it for keeping him warm. Almost, then he remembered he hadn't wanted to be here in the first place.

Valanthe had found some nuts and assorted fruits. He supposed he should be grateful she even found anything, but she practicly threw away the meat last night. He was not a nuts and berries sort of person. He wanted meat. He ate some of the findings though, hunger was never really preferable.

Then she pointed out the path, and with a sigh he got up on his feet and began climbing first before Xos, not even bothering to stretch.

Valanthe
06-07-08, 02:19 PM
Valanthe followed along after the boys. At first it was an easy climb, but then the trail began to get gradually steeper, and more difficult to climb. More than once she slipped, or moonbeam slipped.

Up, and up they climbed, until they reached the path.

The path ran through the mountains via caves, and around them, leading from where they were to a lone peak in the distance semingly ostricised by nature. Thus cast away from the group, it was covered in an Ice Cap, and surrounded by exceptionally harsh winds.

Valanthe winded her way through the group until she was in the lead, and quickly wished she could alter her form to give her self sharp claws. the wind was very great, and the path was very slippery.

Once she almost fell off, but barely regained her footing in time, and made it all the way to the wall.

The wall was the strangest occurance of the entire trip, for it was made entirely of liquid water, unfreezing in the extreme cold, and unmoving like a waterfall, despite being sideways. She touched it, and it rippled.

"Weird." Valanthe said, fascinated by this strange occurance. She almost forgot how cold she was.

"This is it, but how do we enter, do we jump in this odd pool?" she asked.

She touched it again, and it rippled, and then she stook her arm in.

"Who?" was all she was able to say before she was yanked into the pool. Moonbeam leapt in after her.

Destrudo
06-07-08, 02:37 PM
Destrudo, despite his strength, had difficulty climbing the mountain, and slipped only a little bit occasionally. Yet still this was enough for Valanthe to overtake him. He followed her up the mountain and along the path at the top.

Once or twice he thought he heard screeching in the distance, but figured he only imagined it.

Then the path reached the lone peak. The wind was violent, and difficult, and the path was slippery. He had to resort to crawling along it, and gripping the side facing into the wind just to keep from being blown off the side.

He reached the strange verticle pool just as Valanthe and Moonbeam disappeared into it.
He stood up, sheltered as he was by the walls into which this pool was set. He touched it, and like it had for Valanthe, it rippled.

"Distrubing." he said, very distrubed by this violation of natural law. He punched the pool, and it splashed. He felt someone grab him, he pulled, but whoever had grabbed him was stronger than him, and pulled him in the pool.

Xos
06-07-08, 03:38 PM
Xos had the most difficult climb of all, having made it almost to the top, and then sliding down behind everyone else. He made it though, and complained bitterly all the way about how he wished he had his staff still.

When he reached the lone peak he walked along the path, and would've been completly blown off the cliff, if he hadn't lucked out and managed the seemingly impossible feat of reounding off his own shield and into the sheltered alcove where the pool portal was.

"Interesting, very Interesting. It would appear this is actually a portal, similar in nature to the portals back home, but different in appearence. Since this peak is too small and the weather too violent, I believe it's safe to say that this temple is actually physically located somewhere else, and this portal will teleport us to it. Though I must wonder then if this is the only portal or if there are others. Both answers raise even further questions, such as why were we sent to this portal and not a more convienient one elsewhere if there are others, and if this is the only one, why don't they make a more convienient one elsewhere?" Xos said. He looked around.
"Who am I speaking to?" he asked himself. He shrugged, and leapt into the pool.

He was flying through a tunnel, a vortex made of water, somewhere extremly far away, though where he didn't know. Suddenly, there was light, golden white in color, and it was everywhere, rebounding off the walls of this, place.

The walls seemed to be made of Marble, yet they felt stronger than steel. The colors were as those of the rainbow. The Ceilings, he couldn't tell what the celings were, or even how high they were, for after a distance of thirty feet, the light was too bright to see past, yet it didn't hurt to stare into it. Columns were spaced every ten feet, appearing to be the same marble the ceilings were made of. Xos surmised the ceilings were also made of the same substance. He found a loose chunk on the floor. He broke it in half, and was amazed to discover he now held two chunks the exact same size as the original. He tried cracking one against the wall, but it simply absorbed into it. He shrugged, and set the other chunk down. That's when he noticed the floors. They were not marble, but giant rugs, made of a strange silk. It came in many colors, but with every step someone took, the step they took changed the color of the portion of rug on which they stood. Xos decided it must be some powerful enchantment.

The people themselves all seemed contentedly happy, and not at all monkish. Some were men, some were women, and some were children. All were glowing with the same light as the temple. They also all had wings, white wings, like those of a bird. They all kept their wings folded though.

Xos forgot all about his companions and wandered through this strange place. He found no windows or open doorways to the outside, so he did not know exactly where he was. He walked through doorways and archways and saw no signs of kitchens, or armories, or hospitials, or other forms of habitation. He wondered how these people survived, but then realised this must be someplace special where such things were not needed. Then he realised he wasn't hungry, or tired, or thirsty, or particularly sore. In fact, he felt wonderful.

He wondered into what was a library. Some were tomes of knowledge, and he discovered he didn't even understand a fourth of them. Some were maps, and there he got a good look at the entirety of Althanas, not just the known mapped portions local sailors had. Some were maps of other dimensions, and other worlds.

Still others had only individual names attached to them. He found one with his name on it. He flipped it open, and discovered to his shock and utter amazement that this book contained the entirety of his life in it. He flipped open to the last pages to see what would happen, but discovered they were blank. He realised that's because the events in them hadn't taken place yet. He put his book back, and looked at Valanthes, and Destrudos. He felt pity for Destrudo, and at the same time, horror and dismay about the truth behind Destrudo, but discovered that as soon as he closed their books, he forgot what was in them, save for what he already knew before he opened them.
"Wow, how many books are in here?" he asked no one in particular.

"There is one book for each subject of knowledge. That is, there is a book devoted soley to the subject of Meteorology, there is a book solely dedicated to Medicene, and so on, and so on. Each book was written by The Omnisource itself, and contains utterly everything there is to know about each subject, however one is not allowed to know more than what one came in knowing. That is, you can't cheat, and memorise the Tome of Magic and learn everything about magic. You'll be forced to forget eveything you read in there, save for what you knew before you opened it.

Secondly, there is a map for each section of Creation, each Reality, each Universe, Dimension, Plane, world, Galaxy, all of it. These maps were made by Omni as creation was formed, and then, as each place was made. Each map is completly accurate for the current Time Index, and as the Future becomes the present, and events transpire, each map changes to reflect the changes in the world. However, your not allowed to know more than what you already knew before hand. It would be unfair to others who worked hard for their knowledge if you could learn more than them and remember it simply by looking at the master map.

Third, there is a book for each person who has ever lived, or lives currently. Each book contains every minute detail of their life, nothing is left out. As you may have already guessed, you are not allowed to learn another's secrets by reading their book. It's their story, not yours, and if they wish to share their secrets with you, they will, in their own fashion. Even The gods have books in such a fashion. There is only one exception to this rule, you are allowed to remember everything in your own book, in your own story, but some things are better left unremembered, but that is a trap for you to take care of for yourself.

Finally, in the center of The Great Library, there is a single book entitled 'Life', but who then is truely worthy to look in the book of Life, and learn Omni's secrets? All those who try to open it, fail, and each suffers their own consequence, all fail to learn The Glorious Light's secrets.

However, sometimes the easiest way to learn, is to meditate, and learn your own secrets, without reading them in a book. Go ahead, try it. There are some nice cushions in the corner." A remarkably old man said. He was bent with age, and walked with a cane. He was barely a foot high. He looked human, but wasn't. What he was, was a mystery.
"Thanks, but, who are you?" Xos asked.
"I am the Abbott, chief servant of The Glorious Light. You came to learn of it, I tell you to Meditate on it. It will come to you in Due time. If you'll excuse me, I must go, and attend to business elsewhere." The old man said. He walked around a bookshelf and was gone.

Xos found the corner the old man described, and sat on the cushions. The heavy scent of incence hung in the air. Xos began to meditate in the classic style.

Valanthe
06-07-08, 03:57 PM
Valanthe found the Temple to be simply, amazing. For several minutes she simply walked along it's corridors, enjoying the presence of The Glorious Light.

She found a mirror on the wall, and discovered to her amazement, that she had somehow grown a pair of wings, and for that matter, so had Moonbeam.

"I, I can fly. I've always wanted to try it, it's amazing." Moonbeam said, as she skimmed long the ground. However, she did not speak wolfish, she spoke comon.

"Your not supposed to speak common, how is that possible?" Valanthe asked.

"It is the nature of this place. Here, all may communicate equally." Said the same old man that greeted Xos only seconds ago. Despite his appearence, he was very fast.

"Where is this place?" Valanthe asked.
"Where is it not? But that's not really what you want to know, is it. I could tell you this is simply another dimension, but you wouldn't understand that so much, not knowing about the cosmology of The Planes. To put it as simple as possible, The Temple of The Glorious Light is located in The Anti-Firmament, that is to say, it's located in the afterlife. Technically speaking, you are here, as a zombie is back home. However, we're more like our own branch off The Anti-Firmament. Do you understand what I'm saying?" The Abbott asked.
"Your saying that although I'm still alive, I'm in the afterlife, where Omni's Temple is. I can still get back, right?" Valanthe asked.
"Of course, we don't keep anyone here against their will, but only those that have lived their life may stay." The Abbott said.
"I understand. What about the other two I was with?" Valanthe asked.
"Don't worry about them, both have their ow paths to follow before they can go back. Why don't you go down that hall and take a left, you'll find you can fly much more freely." The Abbott said. The concept of actually flying excited Valanthe, and so she followed his advice, and went to go fly until it was time to go home.

Destrudo
06-07-08, 05:12 PM
When Destrudo entered the temple, he had to close his eyes and shield his face with his arms.

"THE LIGHT! IT BURNS!" Destrudo cried in agony. He kneeled, the weight of the blindingly bright light was too much for him to bear. It was like a million sharp swords poking him from all sides at once.

"Was I brought here only to suffer?" Destrudo asked.

To his relief, the light faded, and the pain went away. He found he was in a common ugly stone temple with very plain rugs. An incredibly old man faced him. He stood up, and found he towered over the old man. He felt more confident now.

"You were not brought here to suffer, you brought here to presented with a choice, but listen carefully, for you will not recieve a second chance. Set aside your forgotten past, admit that you are weak, and let the Light into your soul, serve it faithfully, and become a better person, or remain stubbornly convinced of your own false superiority, and learn things the hard way, being cast out into the darkness with all the other things that have been tried and found lacking." The old man said.

Destrudo cracked his knuckles. He had suffered on this journey, had had refrained from hurting Xos and Valanthe in hopes that maybe this journey would bring him something more worthwhile than an offer of slavery.

"I'm going to make you bleed." Destrudo said with a smile. He aimed a kick square at the old man's head, and missed. He couldn't understand how.

"Going like that, your not going to last very long. However, I suppose I might be wrong. I'll tell you what, if you can hit me even once, I'll give you more strength than you can imagine." The Old man said.

Destrudo smiled, and punched the old man, however before his punch could connect the old man grabbed him and threw him against the far wall.

"The Light is my Armaments, and my defenses. If an old man like me can beat a young punk like you, just imagine how much more than you could do with the light." The old man said.

"I will not serve another." Destrudo said. He tried to stomp on the old man, and discovered he wasn't there. He felt the old man's cane on the back of his knees, the blow made him fall over.

"Life is full of servitude. Even those who lead, serve another, even if they refuse to admit it. It is simply the nature of things. Accept it." Destrudo said. He got up. Everytime Destrudo tried to hit the old man, he got thrown around. Everytime he tried to kick him he got knocked down. Once he tried to hit and kick him, and got thrown down.

Finally, Destrudo pulled his Dagger, and stabbed at the old man, who dodged, but as he dodged, Destrudo struck him with his other fist, knocking hiom down.
"I win old man, give me my strength." Destrudo said smiling.
"A deal's a deal, The method is simple, kneel." The old man said. Destrudo obligingly knelt.
Then the old man hit him over the head with his cane so hard it knocked Destrudo out.

"Your strength will come in time. First you must remember your past, through your memories, your strength will come. You will be mighty indeed." the old man said sadly, as though he had just cursed Destrudo. He gestured, and two Aibrone monks came from around the corner. One of them was Brother Onox, the real Brother Onox.

They saw the light, though they did not follow it, but they accepted it on a neutral basis, and thus were niether harmed nor helped by it. However they also saw the Temple as it really was, the beautiful marvel Xos and Valanthe saw, not the grubby disapointment Destrudo saw.

"It is best if he is not here when he awakens. We will never allow him to return to this place, not unless he willingly serves The Light, which is doubtful. Take him away, back to Corone." The Abbott said.

"We shall let him sleep it off in The Citadel. I think perhaps I'll advise him to return home." Brother Onox said. The two monks picked up Destrudo. The Abbott of the Temple of Light snapped his fingers and all three were gone.

Xos
06-07-08, 06:17 PM
Xos had been sitting there for several minutes trying to get beyond simple concentration. Normally he managed to get to the second state, meditation. Eventually he hoped to get to the third state, Contemplation.

The incense hung heavily in the air, and made his mind feel funny. He was afraid it might be clouding his judgement, but this was special incense, it was broadening his mind, enhancing his senses.

"Oh my." Xos said, as suddenly everything changed for him.

He found himself back in his classroom at Kessingale University. He was at his desk. The Computer interface, little more than a pane of glass with Nanites in it sat before him.

On the wall, a large version of the interface hung on the wall. All that was missing, was the other students, and Professor.

"No Xos, this one's for you, and you alone." a voice said all around him. He looked around, all he saw was thesame golden white light that was present throughout the temple.

"Who are you? Are you the same that changed Valanthe?" Xos asked.

"I am." The Voice said.

"Then are you, The Glorious Light, The Omnisource?" Xos asked.

"I am that same also, yes." The Light said.

"I was sent here for you, to become stronger, but I have questions." Xos said.
"Silence then, will get you nowhere fast." Omni said kindly.
"First, what is your relation to the Gods of this world?" Xos asked.
"I am as a neighbor to them. They leave me alone, I leave them alone. If they choose to involve me in their affairs, I do so in a non-evasive manner. It is their world, let them run it as they well. Because it threatens no other, I need not activly participate in it's affairs." Omni said.
"Will I ever get back home?" Xos asked.
"In time you will return to Kessingale, yes. But would you really desire to stay there?" Omni asked.
Xos thought of Valanthe.
"No." Xos admitted finally.
"Then aren't you home already?" Omni asked.
"Yes." Xos said.
"So, what's going to happen next?" Xos asked finally.
"That's entirely up to you." Omni said.
"I'd like to start researching magic in more depth, testing the utter limits of possibility, to learn." Xos said.
"The desire to learn is great, but without understanding, you can learn nothing. Consider there are many intelligent people who can recite to you many facts and figures, but really do not understand what they speak of, and so know nothing. Meanwhile there are many who are simpletons, yet have great understanding of what they speak, and so know more than many intelligent people." Omni said.
"Do I have understanding?" Xos asked.
"Do you?" Omni returned.
"Not as much as I would like, no. but I have dragon Blood, and Dragons are known for their great knowledge and understanding." Xos said.
"Indeed, but you are sixth generation, your blood is thinner than even your fathers. You can progress far, but even if the magic of Althanas reactivated all of your Draconic blood traits, you would not be able to progress as far as you would like. Even your magic you want to research is limited. I can however, help you. I can remove those stumbling imperfections and make you better than before, like I did for Valanthe." Omni said.
"So, we would both be perfect then?" Xos asked.
"No, even the gods are imperfect." Omni said.
"Are you imperfect?" Xos asked.
"I am everything." Omni said simply.
"I don't understand, but perhaps in time, I will. I will serve you to the end of my days, if it means being able to truely follow my passion. Let me be one of the conted happy people I saw in the temple." Xos said.

He inhaled with happiness, for suddenly he was awash in an ocean of light. For a moment, he was perfect, then it was gone. He stood up. He felt, different, he felt, better.

"Your Dragon Heritage is completly removed from you. Even your cherished air walking shoes. Your bone structure is realigned to look human, and your skin acts normally now. But you will discover more in time. I will tell you one thing though, I gave you a gift. You know the contents of The Tome of Magic, you know it's greatest secrets, but you will not be able to conciously remember any of them right away. In time, through study and practice, they will come to you. Meditate more, that's a command." Omni said.

Xos awoke to find himself in the Guilty Virgin inn, next to Valanthe. It was as if it were all a dream. Yet, it wasn't. Her antlers were gone, her clothes on the floor weren't hides, her feathers and beads were gone. His staff was gone too. Moonbeam was even curled up in the corner.

"That, that was by far the oddest experience I've ever had." Xos said.

Valanthe
06-07-08, 06:34 PM
Valanthe had been flying, it was such a wonderful enlightening experience. Eventually, she found herself falling asleep. She woke up when she head Xos talking about an odd experience. She looked around, this room seemed familier. They weren't in the temple anymore, that much she knew. She sat up, and the blankets fell, revealing that she was not infact decent. She moved her right hand to reach down and get her clothes, when she discovered a gold band on her ring finger.

"Thou shalt not commit adultery." was etched on it's surface. She noticed Xos had one on too.
"I think uhh, we got in trouble too." she said indicating the rings.
"Enjoy your marriage." replaced the original text, then it too faded, leaving the golden bands as common wedding rings.
"Seems strict to me." Valanthe said as she got dressed.
"I mean, what's wrong with a little fun now and then with a new friend?" she asked, strapping her weapons back on.

Moonbeam sat up, stretched, and wished she could fly a little more.

Destrudo
06-07-08, 06:43 PM
Destrudo meanwhile woke up in the citadel.
COME TO ME. the words rang clearly in his ears. It was the same horrible voice from before. Now it was summoning him.
He remembered, gods alive he remembered his past. Immediatly he wished he didn't, the pain, the suffering, the light was gentle compared to his father.
His father, he remebered overhearing him mention Destrudo as part of some sort of project he was working on with someone named N'jal. Who was N'jal? It was time he returned home, to learn the truth.

"I see your awake." Brother Onox said.

COME TO ME. the words rang again. The voice was stronger. Was it the voice of N'jal?

"Stuff it. I know my path. I reject the light. I would rather rule in darkness than serve in light. It's time I returned home." he said, a dangerous edge to his voice.

His footsteps echoed ominously as he left The Citadel.
He thought of Xos and Valanthe.
"Next time I see either of you, your dead." he declared to the uncaring world.

Xos
06-07-08, 07:11 PM
Xos smiled as he discovered he was suddenly married.
"I didn't think anything of it myself. Sure, I wanted to get to know you more, but perhaps in time love will spring in place of like. However, I think we'll get in further trouble if we shrug this off and go our seperate ways. Lets accept our punishment like adults then shall we? Lets at least act like husband and wife until it stops being an act." Xos said, getting up and getting dressed himself.
He discovered something new in his pockets as he put his robes on.
He pulled out a copy of the very book that brought him here in the first place.
"It's, It's The book of the ancient masters! Come, we're going to Corone, to the Citadel. The monks will know how to use this. I won't miss graduation, at least I hope I won't!" He said, exictedly. He stopped and looked in the mirror, he was different in appearence. His nails were short and trimmed, his eyes were the same, but his bone structure was as a normal human. He found his senses were somewhat dulled too. His boots looked the same, but he found were not the same magic air-walking boots he had before.

Downstairs they discovered the room had already been payed for by a strange old man glowing with light. Xos described the Abbott to Ron, and discovered that their benefactor and the Abbott of Light could pass for twin brothers if they weren't one in the same.

Together Xos, Valanthe, and Moonbeam set out for Corone on the next availible ferry.
This quest is over, though it probably wasn't an exciting quest. I enjoyed it though, and that's really all that matters.

Spoil requests:

Destrudo loses a good portion of his over-inflated Ego, and gains a much needed dose of Humility, the ability to remember his past, and less important, a common steel dagger, remarkable only in it's commonality.
---
Valanthe loses the antlers in her hair, the feathers and beads that decorated it, and her animal hide dress. She gains a common white dress made of a mysterious fiber as strong as her hides were. This dress will not last much longer and must obtain for herself a new dress of some sort A.S.A.P. She also gains a plain gold wedding band and marriage to Xos as punishment for commiting Adultery with him. The whole powers swap thing means nothing oocly.
---
Xos loses all his Dragon Blood traits, that is, his odd bone structure, the scales his skin forms when it dries, his oddly long finger nails, his keen senses, and his special boots that let him airwalk because they came from the draconic side of the family. His intelligence is not a Dragon blood trait, and his magic no longer stems from it instead coming from Omni. He also loses his Nihon Quaterstaff from a seperate incident. He gains a plain gold wedding band and marriage to Valanthe as punishment for committing Adultery with her. As well he gains the book of the ancient masters. He can't use it, but will let him go to and from Kessingale, the city in his home reality, via The Citadel, at least for now until other arrangements are RP'ed. any questions feel free to ask.

Raelyse
06-09-08, 07:09 AM
Before we get down to the numbers and rewards, I’d just like to let the three of you know that if you want any justification or more in depth commentary, don’t hesitate to contact me via PM or IM and I will help you best I can.

Story

Continuity – 2 – This was especially poor because apparently the three characters had a history – a history that was only briefly touched upon during the course of the quest. If this is a continuation from a previous quest, it would be best for the reading public and judging moderator if you could add just a few sentences as you write to tell more about their past, their feelings about what had happened. Still, there was a little something that I managed to gleam. Also I felt that you all made this quest significant in your character’s stories by writing about the Light and how important it was to your characters.

Setting – 2 – You gave me very little setting wise. The most obvious one was the incident with the deer droppings and that frankly isn’t enough for the amount of settings that you ran through during the course of this quest. You can easily get a higher score here by elaborating on the description of the area that your characters are in. I felt that during the course of this quest, I had to imagine a lot of the area by myself, which is something that should never happen. You should give the reader enough so that he can have a fantastic view of the setting by your writing alone.

Pacing – 1 – This was horrible. I felt that most all posts in this thread were too short. I felt that you all could have made posts that were longer and filled with more detail and action, instead of some posts which were basically lines of dialogue and insignificant action. I also found it very difficult to find out what was going to happen next because there was no foreshadowing or build up at all. There was no tension or suspense at all, because nothing was hinted at, alluded to or even explained with detail. You mention stuff about the temple early on, but that isn’t mentioned until the end. Try to build up the climatic events and you will score much better here.

Character

Dialogue Р4 РThis was okay. I got a good measure of who your characters were and how they acted by their thoughts and spoken words. I felt that this could still be improved though, because there were some lines of dialogue that I thought were clich̩ or a bit bland. Intermittently, there were some that I did like and thought were clever and original. You got points for those and you would have all got a lot more if you cut out the corny ones and added ones that fit in with your character.

Action – 3 – I did manage to understand the motivation behind the motivation of most of your character’s actions, but I did feel as though the romance between Xos and Valanthe was very rushed and the whole marriage thing made very little sense to me. Destrudo was good, staying constant to his character throughout and I really understood his character. However, I was very confused by how easily he managed to defeat the skilled old man at the end and get the reward. I felt that it would have been better if Destrudo learnt his lesson through failure, but I did like how he did not turn to the Light. As a whole, your characters’ actions were occasionally reasonable and sometimes fit in with who your characters are, but you need to do it more frequently to get a higher score.

Persona – 2 – Some of the reasons for the scores from Dialogue and Action overlap into here. In particular to this category, I didn’t give you guys a higher score because I thought that your character’s emotions and personalities didn’t really come to the fore as much as I would have liked. I felt as though I only scratched the surface with what happened in this quest. Valanthe is a druid, Xos is a wizard who wants to learn and Destrudo is a badass mean boy. That was about all I learnt and you should let the reader into your characters more in the future so they can learn more.

Writing Style

Technique – 1 – Almost nothing to speak of, with the championship streaker simile sticking out only because it failed to fit in so drastically. You guys can do a lot better in this character by putting in personification, metaphors and similes to really fire up your writing and make it better. Every average to fantastic writer on Althanas do it so you only need to read other writer’s threads to get a good idea of how to improve this score.

Mechanics – 1 – Grammar errors and random capitalizations were scattered throughout this thread. It isn’t hard to get a good score here, all you need to do is read through your posts or get someone to do it for you and the errors will just jump out at you.

Clarity – 3 – As a whole, I managed to understand what was happening but towards the end, there were a few posts that were so convoluted that I had to read over a few times to really grasp what was happening. Xos’ in particular was filled with so much unneeded detail that I could not get to what was really important to the story. There were clarity issues throughout as I didn’t understand what some of your abilities did and a few times, I did not know what was happening from your posts, I only understood when I read forward. Perhaps the worst thing is the issues with Valanthe. I did know of her antlers’ existence until the very end and in the first few posts, I had no idea who or what Moonbeam was. Just explain briefly in a few sentences here and there about some of your characters’ features and characteristics and this will be much better.

Wild Card – 2 – I felt that you guys did okay, but you can do a lot better. Just take to heart the tips that I gave you, read other Althanas writings and you will do much better in the future. Good luck!

Total Score – 21

Xos gains 244 EXP and 194 GP
Valanthe gains 221 EXP and 194 GP
Destrudo gains 204 EXP and 140 GP

Xos gets his book with stipulated abilities and his wedding band. The book cannot be used until it is approved as a quest spoil or in his next level update. The wedding band cannot be sold.

Valanthe gains her dress and the wedding band. The dress is in poor shape and needs repair soon. Her wedding band cannot be sold.

Destrudo gains an average steel dagger.

Zook Murnig
06-12-08, 10:47 PM
EXP/GP ADDED!