PDA

View Full Version : Use of others creative works

Ignition
06-01-08, 10:50 AM
Using other people's creative works without properly attributing them is plagiarism and we all know that's bad. But what I was wondering about was the use of creative works with proper aknowledgement to the creators. For instance, I was thinking of writing a thread in the style of a play, and I wanted to include a sound track to certain points, though the songs that would be in the sound track would not be mine (provided by you tube links, which may at times violate the DMCA.) My question is, would this be okay? If it is okay, does legal DMCA rights matter?

Doomsday
06-01-08, 11:08 AM
well since you're giving proper credit, not claiming the works as your own, not using the works to make a profit and not doing something that would detract from the artist's profits then I believe that what you are doing is protected under fair use. Of coarse fair use is hard to define but I think what you're doing is perfectly fine.

Raelyse
06-01-08, 11:13 AM
I have seen some writers use lyrics to enhance the flavor of their writing a few times. As long as you indicate at the bottom or top or wherever that the words were not written by you, you should be fine. Just don't expect an extremely high score from the judges for a thread composed completely of song lyrics.