PDA

View Full Version : Forgiven

aesculus
06-25-06, 05:07 PM
Forgiven
Side Note: Writing solo for some practice, and maybe get some criticism in the end.
WARNING: There may be some mature content.

Chapter One--

I made a promise I never kept,
Now it’s something I do regret,
The blood drips from a wound that never heals,

Don’t you feel?

The clouds softly glided across the skies following the cool northern wind. It was different and for a moment it seemed like the world had stopped to morn a loss, or a great change had followed it. It did not matter whether one saw it as one or the other; the wind carried what it liked with it, and whatever ‘it’ could be has no choice but to follow. However the wind did not control all things on this world, or in the next. Time would pass and the world would change, but the wind would keep blowing. Eventually the wind did stop blowing and with it came a floating raft carrying a small body towards the docks. An old fisherman looked down from his little boat and saw the raft. Yelling to his friend, they brought up the raft. Setting it on the deck they look at the body on the raft. The old fisherman knelt next to it, his companion looking over his shoulder.

“So yuh, think ‘es alive?” asked the standing man, watching.

“One thing, ‘es a SHE, and yes, but she ain’t lookin’ too good.” He replied while turning the girl’s head, tapping his finger on her cheek trying to get a reaction out of her.

She flinched slightly from the tap that was enough. Looking towards the other fisherman he nodded and they headed back to the docks of Scara Brae. He looked back at her wondering what she could possibly be dreaming about.

--

I feel like I have let you down. I remember when you laid there dying on the side of the road and I had spent a week to try and help you live, but I was so stupid to let my urge to follow the wind get hold of me, and at it’s demand I let you die.

You may have thought that I tried to save you any way possible, and you gave me the swords as payment when I had asked for none. I made you that promise to learn how to use those blades, and I tried, but not hard enough.

When I had gotten attacked and chased off a boat and onto a raft, I fumbled and stumbled. It did not get me anywhere, only onto this raft to die out at sea. Even if I were found, would it be justice to you if I had lived through my illness thanks to the help of someone else, when I had let you die? Please tell me don’t stand there and smile at me! I’m just a pathetic weak wannabe mercenary!

A pair of unique coloured eyes fluttered open breaking away from the images of the dream, and a room came into focus. Sounds of a kettle whistling on a stove top, and a woman getting her son to check the “visitor” became clearer in her ears. Assuming that the woman was talking about her she sat up. She felt a cloth fall off of her face and she looked at and picked it up, she was alive. Her fingers curled into a tight fist around the cloth until it shook. She believed so much that she should have died out there. Why? Why anyone save her?

The door to the room opened with a slight creek, the girls head snapped up to see a well toned young man walk into the room testing the door for the creeks. Talking to himself.

“The hinges have to be lubricated, again...” Sighing he shook his head, and looked at her and smiled, “You’re awake, finally.”

She flushed and looked back down at the cloth, a million questions running through her mind. It was then it had occurred to her that her clothes were missing, and in their place were a white shirt and pants. She looked at the young man at the door and let the questions fly.

“Where am I? Who are you? How did I get here? What have you done with my clothes? Weapons? Bag?”

He looked at her trying to find answers to all the questions he was being bombarded with. He held up his hand to silence her for a second.

“Okay, You’re in a little house in the city of Scara Brae, I’m a fisherman’s son, Kyle, my father brought you back here, your clothes are outside drying, and your weapons and bag are in the corner.” Kyle replied taking a breath before posing his own question, “May I ask your name, little lady?”

She sighed, and started to relax figuring he wasn’t going to do her any harm. After all he probably was the one that helped her. She slouched over and crossed her legs under the covers. She smiled at him, just to show she was calm.

“My name is Sakai.” She said thinking about his answers and the situation she was in and her happy face dissolved away, “I must repay you for your kindness.”

He shook his head and went on to explain that there was no need to. His father the fisherman was always bringing home some lost person out at sea and having, he and his mother take care of them until they were well. Sakai insisted she help him, even with running errands or odd things around the house they lived in. He looked at her, not believing someone could insist to help for just being aided through a fever.

After a few days of doing household chores to repay the family for their kindness, Sakai looked outside at the lightly moving trees and decided it was time for her to leave. Putting away the broom she was holding she headed to her room. As she walked in she saw Kyle there waiting. Not bothering to say hi, she walked over to her folded travel clothing.

“Before you go, tell me something.” He started off with no hesitation, in an assertive and confrontational voice, “What do you dream about?”

She stood there silently, why would he ask her that? It wasn’t his business. Lightly touching her cross on moon pendant she looked at it closing her fingers around it. Biting her lip she wished he had never asked or brought up the question. She took a breath and turned to face him. Sakai told him the whole dream about the man from her past that died, and the promise she made. He listened as she talked about how she felt she did not fulfill her promise to the dead man, and how she could only fight like a mediocre soldier and a war he never wanted to be in. Walking over to her he placed his hand over her mouth to silence her and lifted her head up by the chin so they were looking at him in the face. He smiled and offered his help to her.

“You helped us, now I’ll help you. I’ll teach you how to fight, as long as you don’t do anymore house work. Got it?”

Nodding with a smile, maybe she can keep her promise after all. Looking out the window, and back at the fisherman’s son, the wind could wait another day.

aesculus
07-06-06, 09:46 PM
Chapter Two

Recap: Sakai is introduced to the story as a poor girl hanging onto life on a raft. A fisherman and his family nurse her to health and the son of the fisherman Kyle helps her develop some skills with the sword.

--

Forgotten long ago,
Now back to haunt me,
In my dreams you talk, and see.

Don’t you hear?

Sakai waved to the family, thanking them for their hospitality and help. Smiling she began to walk in the direction of the Brokenthorn Forest. She looked up at the sky thinking about what the fisherman’s son said to her while he was teaching her the proper blocks. As she walked the memory of the day before ran through her head.

Sparks flew as steel blades have clashed together. Rushing along the sandy beach Kyle charged for Sakai. Slicing down he watched as she blocked, he was surprised how much power one arm of hers had. Fending him off, she lowered her guard breathing heavily.

“How can men do this?!”

He smirked attacking her again to test her reflexes watching her block again.

“We don’t carry three pounds on our chests.”

Knowing he hit a sore spot he watched as she attacked him with both blades cutting, slicing, jabbing, and stabbing, waiting for an opening to take place. Finally finding one he takes the chance and stabs for her ribs. In a last defence she crosses the blades together and in a scissor motion she flings his sword away. Tired and sore, she sheathed the two swords and fell back on the soft grassy field and looked up at the sky trying to catch her breath. Kyle dropped down next to her and sat there looking out at the horizon.

“You know you’ve already kept your promise.” He said looking down at her smiling.

She looked back up at him and blinked, “What do you mean?”

He looked back towards the horizon smiling, the wind lightly blowing back his fair hair. If he were older, a bit more than just a fisherman’s builds and a bit of a beard he would look like the man on the side of the road.

“You know how to fight with two swords…Also I’ve never seen stronger arms like that. You don’t need to feel like you haven’t kept your promise ‘cause you did.”

Sakai’s gaze shifted back to the sky. He probably was right.

Snapping back to reality she caught herself from falling backwards as someone shoved past her. She turned and watched as an old fat baker tried to catch up to a thief. Not really wanting to play hero she tries to ignore it, after all it was only bread. She heard a scream and a clash of carts. Turning to see what chaos could have gone on; she sees the skinny body of the bread thief squished between two unwatched carts. The unfortunate soul had not seen them coming while running from the baker. Taking into account there was nothing she could do she continued on her way to the forest.

--

Reaching the edge of the dense forest, Sakai smiled. As the silver haired girl started to walk towards the forest she started thinking more than ever. After all she was walking into a forest inhabited by possibly deadly creatures, and this was the most suicidal move she had ever made. Not really caring whether she would walk out alive all she wanted to know was a sign or someone to tell her she was not guilty of anything. Although she did not know what she wanted to be proven innocent of.