PDA

View Full Version : Textual Training Grounds?

The Bloody Son
06-18-08, 04:03 PM
Is there any way we can get a child board to the Citadel for learning how to spar or battle better in terms of writing and wording?

For those who wish to learn more abilities, powers, develop what they have, create new powers and have people poke at their theory to better develop a flawless new skill.

For those who wanna learn better hand to hand (HtH) combat, realistic HtH, realistic Melee (RM), Melee (weapons), etc...

Or straight up training on how to battle.
Strategies.
Taking hits, etc...

Breaker
06-18-08, 04:23 PM
You can already do any of those things in the Citadel. Just discuss it with your opponent over IM, PM, or in a thread in the Role Player's Corner.

As for training sessions, you could talk to any of a number of high level members about doing some IC training. I'm thinking about having Josh offer classes in H2H as well as some basic weapons training.

A Nony Mouse
06-18-08, 04:52 PM
I'm thinking about having Josh offer classes in H2H as well as some basic weapons training.

that would be awesome.

Destrudo
06-18-08, 06:17 PM
I'd sign up for that.

Raelyse
06-18-08, 06:37 PM
We had something like that in the past. I remember Cyrus teaching elemental magic and Logan teaching swordplay. I forgot the name but I remember that not one "class" finished, mainly due to inactivity. I'd be eager to be a part of anything that formed up, I just think that it'd be better for the players if they personally contacted the writer they were interested in for some sort of mentor system.

Forming a new class type system probably won't work.

The Bloody Son
06-18-08, 09:37 PM
And why wouldn't it work, for one?

Bringing out the innovation and creativity is what this forum and writing is all about, isn't it? So what's to say people couldn't earn experience for being the masters of their own skills through moderation and training?

And I'm not saying this hasn't been tried before. I'm saying there should be an area posted on the forums for all to read and learn, not just those who are brave enough to step out and say something. I know a few people who ghost the forums and don't post at all, but read a lot of what's going on.

There's a lot of negative output by "veterans" of this board who don't seem to do anything else, but post bitchy commentary. Put your money where your 'text' is, I say...

If what you're posting - isn't helping, it's surely not needed.
It was a simple thought.

AdventWings
06-18-08, 09:51 PM
The problem isn't in the system, Bloody Son. I actually love this idea and fully support this.

The problem is keeping track of who is doing what and how often the person can post. I remembered the day when I had ten IC posts lined up for reply per day, but things are slowing down considerably for the past few months. Posts aren't coming as quickly as some people would like.

What Raelyse meant was that Mass Invites usually turn up a mountain of inactive posters because no one knows what to write. Contacting individual "trainers" via PM/IM can help to speed up the process of discussion and laying down the floor plans, generally making for more refined role-playing in the process.

Like I said earlier, the System isn't the problem. Inactivity just sucks the life out of it.

Raelyse
06-18-08, 10:48 PM
No "veteran" is being realistic. We are just telling you what Althanas has tried before and what has failed. If you don't want to take our advice, then that's fine. You can suggest something new everyday and watch as we tell you how we already thought of that x days and y months ago and how it drastically failed.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just want you to realize that you have been at Althanas for what... 2 weeks? There are people here who have been here for 4-5 years and seen it all. We appreciate the experience you bring from other forums that you run or whatever, but Althanas is unique and we know how it works.

As for your idea, maybe you should clarify. The way you phrased your last post, it almost seems as though you want there to be a set of model posts that will help writers improve their writing. If you want that, just check out the Judge's Choice forum and see how the best writers write.

If what you meant was an IC situation where Fred learned how be a better swordsman from Jeff, then I think my idea is much more feasible. Any writer here will tell you that quality writing doesn't often blend well with multiple participants.

Max Dirks
06-18-08, 11:07 PM
Bloody Son, if you write a good article on battling or any type of writing for that matter, I will lobby to make it stickied in the Role-Player's Corner and potentially added to the Althanas FAQ. That goes for everyone else too. If you're looking for something more interactive, I implore you participate in the Istien University sub-forum of Raiaera. God knows we could certainly use an activity boost there. Otherwise, the Dajas Pagoda is meant to be a place for new players to practice battling before jumping into the Citadel or Tournaments.

For a few guides that have already been written, do a search for threads created by the username "Santhalas" in the Role-Player's Corner. Any thread started with the prefix "Writing Tips" include some pointers from our absent leader.

The Bloody Son
06-19-08, 09:28 AM
You can call me Jeff, by the way...

So what if it's been done in the past and failed? If everyone had the same, typical attitude that some of you kids had, nothing would ever go anywhere - regardless of if it's trying to be reinvented. Saying that it's already been done, is saying that you wouldn't care to attempt to participate in a new way if the settings were changed up and you're bias to the growth of the forum in a new direction.

Like Leonardo DiVinci - all of his stuff was WAY before his time and he was considered a genius and a lunatic by his peers. Now think about progressive and potential energy in the terms of magnetism and the ability to go forever based off of polarity magnets and whatever else. DiVinci thought it up, but didn't have the right timing or the information or the equipment to built it.

I'm not trying to start a riot, but don't knock it before you give it a chance to florish.

To control it, there's a perfect system in place on Althanas as is, and it's moderated control. I can post 17 times plus in a day, but the system should only pick one post to judge per day / week, pending on how much some people train.

And I'm talking OOC and IC knowledge. Some people don't have any idea to which the depths of Psionics and Realms go, but they'll Power Game in random, excessive directions. There's tons of ideas and things out there, but if no one gives a chance to try and keep it active - then what's the point of rebuilding or keeping anything going at all. If this is how things run, then eventually they'd be considered incestual in nature, because you wouldn't add anything new to the lineage ...

Bloodrose
06-19-08, 10:24 AM
I'm not here to knock or support your idea, per say, but I'm here to give you this little bit of advice: If you want something done around here, stop talking about, and do it. To steal from Nike: "Just do it!"

You don't need a child forum under the Citadel to do any of the stuff you're looking to do. Since this would mostly be a collaboration between individual RPers and their characters, and because you could just treat any IC threads like regular quests or battles, you don't really need any special input or favors from the Staff.

If you want to start a system of training new folks how to "battle", then put up a Tutorial thread in the Roleplayer's Corner and have people post helpful hints or strategies for writing battles. If you want to organize IC training between characters, get people talking on AIM or through PMs and just set up a staged battle in the Citadel where a stronger character teaches a weaker character some skills.

If you want to see something develop and work on Althanas, then you need to be the one to get the ball rolling and put the blood, sweat, and tears into seeing something like this get off the ground. Who knows, maybe if it really takes off and flourishes, then perhaps people would be more receptive to formally organizing the system or creating a sub-forum somewhere.

The Bloody Son
06-19-08, 10:58 AM
I like you.

I have since I read your Final Fantasy bit on the thread. I respect those who are competant and have played Final Fantasy Tactics. ;) I'm bias toward the game. Lol.

Then that's what I'll do.

Those interested PM me on the board.
Those interested AIM me @ InfinityGuise.

We'll begin soon. I work 9-6p. I'm online from ... 9 to 6p ...lol.