PDA

View Full Version : Althanas: New York City

Veatrix
06-20-08, 11:39 AM
Just a thought.

Would it be passable if one made a thread and completely changed the setting of fantastical Althanas to modern day New York, or some other cosmopolitan city in the world?

Of course, all this would still very much pertain to the PC, but just in a completely different environment. And yes, there will be a realistic reason for the character to be there, or realistic as can be. Obviously, this would be posted in Other Regions, but I just wanted to know if that was okay.

Winterhair
06-20-08, 11:44 AM
I think its been done before... But thats me. :\

Arsène
06-20-08, 11:50 AM
You could transport your PC into John Stewart's buttchecks and have an entire thread there. Other regions allows you complete freedom when it comes to location.

Breaker
06-20-08, 12:50 PM
Awhile ago there were some plans for a quest that would take place in Toronto... that kinda died when a few people went inactive though.

Yeah, you can situate your character pretty much wherever you want.

Destrudo
06-20-08, 04:10 PM
Exactly, I have plans for Xos to return home to Kessingale and graduate. I have further plans for kessingale too, and other adventures there.

The Forgotten
06-20-08, 04:22 PM
If you make this thread, I'll gladly join. It would be a lot of character development that I couldn't otherwise do.

The Bloody Son
06-20-08, 10:38 PM
I'll join too, Vea. Only cause I like you though. ;)
I can play my character there - but if you're doing a realistic setting, I'll put a spin on him to make him 'realistic' in nature.
And ignore the comments of those who aren't willing to try -- like Bloodrose quoting Nike, Just Do It.

Veatrix
06-20-08, 11:29 PM
This is just a huge maybe. It was just a thought that occured to me.

But if this does come to pass, everyone must have perfectly logical (or as logical as it can get) in explainign why your character is in modern day.

AdventWings
06-21-08, 12:45 AM
Smells like a story-driven quest to me. ;)

I see no problem with that. Just don't bring along something that could make Canon Althanas implode. (Like P-238 or Depleted Uranium, if you know what I mean.)

Of course, you'd better have an enjoyable story going on, or else I'd be sorely disappointed. (Well, usually just me. :p)

Abomination
06-21-08, 02:47 AM
Smells like a story-driven quest to me. ;)

You mean a setting-driven quest? Most quests on Althanas are character-driven. Very few, if any, are story-driven.

The Forgotten
06-21-08, 11:39 AM
Oh, I would have a good reason to be there. Trust me. And I try to have story-driven quests... it's just flaws in execution on my part that make it hard.

AdventWings
06-21-08, 12:04 PM
Well, when I meant "Story-Driven" was that in this instance, there has to be a backstory that's manipulating the events to take place as they did.

Character-driven means the character is the main focus and what the character does affects the entire world (to put it bluntly).

Story-driven means that the events surrounding the characters are the ones driving the plot forward, regardless of what the characters do. In this sense, the characters could be said to be caught up in the moment and they have to do what they gotta do. This is a bit harder than just Character-Driven stories, as it is more rigid in form and (generally) with a predetermined plot already laid out.

To me, for a character in Althanas to show up in a parallel dimension like Earth screams "someone else is the mastermind behind this" because of the sheer complexity of plotlines involved. I could be wrong, so don't take my word for it. :p

Artifex Felicis
06-21-08, 12:32 PM
I remember one story idea behind this is sort of just acting out the counterparts to the Althanas characters. So just your char, with all his memories of Althanas, stripped of his truly distinguishing magicky/special skills and put into the real world. Still noticeably the same person, but different.

Or just have them pop out near an Anime convention. Not many would notice them there.

The Forgotten
06-21-08, 01:48 PM
Haha! Too true. "Nice cosplay outfit, make it yourself?"

I do like the idea of the story driven plot in this instance, though.

Veatrix
06-21-08, 11:46 PM
If this idea were to actually happen, it would definitely be story-driven. Also, Artifex Felicis' idea of a character having Althanas memories but no powers or weapons or skills is basically what I would imagine it to be.

One more thing, Shadow of the Colossus has heavily influenced me, and I want the read to be something like that. Scenic, almost candid, but also very emotional and deep.

Dallas Texas
06-28-08, 09:30 AM
Well, when I meant "Story-Driven" was that in this instance, there has to be a backstory that's manipulating the events to take place as they did.

Character-driven means the character is the main focus and what the character does affects the entire world (to put it bluntly).

Story-driven means that the events surrounding the characters are the ones driving the plot forward, regardless of what the characters do. In this sense, the characters could be said to be caught up in the moment and they have to do what they gotta do. This is a bit harder than just Character-Driven stories, as it is more rigid in form and (generally) with a predetermined plot already laid out.

To me, for a character in Althanas to show up in a parallel dimension like Earth screams "someone else is the mastermind behind this" because of the sheer complexity of plotlines involved. I could be wrong, so don't take my word for it. :p

Putting this character into Veatrix's quest that may or may not happen would be which, then?

AdventWings
06-28-08, 09:57 AM
Story-driven, as I stated in Post #9 and reiterated in Post #12. ;)