PDA

View Full Version : Evan Uno

Ballantyne
06-23-08, 12:14 AM
Name: Evan Uno Ballantyne
Height: 5’8
Weight: 150 lbs
Species: Human

Appearance: Given the fantastic variety of characters found in Althanas, Evan is not a particularly unique breed of Human. He stands at average height for a human male. The young Southerner knows well what features set him apart from other mainland Althanas natives, and he takes advantage of them. His skin tone lingers somewhere between gold and bronze, his irises linger somewhere between jade and amber, and his build lingers somewhere between masculinity and youth.

A Vacation Worth Never Leaving

Evan Uno of the Ballantyne clan watched the toe of his black leather boot grind the pebbles of Coronian ground. The polished patent leather reflected the ear to ear smile on his face. He didn’t even feel the muscles of his cheeks curl up. He didn’t even know he was smiling until now. Other faces drifted past him in the reflection as others shoulders knocked his torso a shimmy left to right.

“I really hate knowing this may be the last time I see you, Baby Boy.” A slender hand on Evan’s right shoulder broke his concentration or lack thereof. He looked to his sister and crossed his arms with cynicism. Lilith couldn’t possibly be serious when she made such a sentimental statement, which wasn’t to say she was incapable of such thoughts. She was just incapable of expressing them in such a direct verbal fashion without making a joke of it. Then with their faces close and her blue eyes big and sad, Lilith suddenly averted them to the center of her nose.

“That’s what I thought.” Evan said as he joined the river of souls drifting into the inner portions of the Corone isle. “And this isn’t going to be the last time you see me. We’re staying in the same inn, aren’t we? So technically the last night you’re here will be the last time you see me.”

“Unless I convince you to come back to the South with me. You can tell everyone you were just messing around with them and that you were just on vacation.” There was a rare solemnity in Lilith’s tone. Evan knew she was serious now. “The University would gladly take you back. The Lasiters would probably sell you your house back. If not mom and dad would take you back in until you found another home.”

“It’s not going to happen.” Evan glanced back as the massive ferry ramp drew up like a castle door. Before them lay the mud laden mouth of Niema River and the outskirts of Radasanth City, their destination. Evan shrugged his shoulders. “Lil, don’t you think our early lives would be a waste of time and effort if we didn’t take ourselves any further than the shore of the Great South?”

“Why do you say that?” Lilith crossed her arms and stopped walking. Passers by gave her annoyed stares for disrupting the current once again. She was clearly perturbed.

“Allow me to explain as we walk. You’re pissing of the laymen folk.” Lilith complied and they continued on to a large bridge that crossed the river into the main hub of population they called Radasanth. An urban mass of voices from the distant city was now added to the ambient sound, and a few unpleasant smells crept into his nose. Clearly Niema River was used as a sewage deposit, which was logical and wise, but pricey. Evan continued as he scratched his nose at this. “The Great South is in a good state. There’s no poverty, everyone’s happy so on and so forth, but we get this education and upbringing that prepares us for a deeply flawed society, way more flawed than ours. Think about Alexi. What does she do?”

“Build houses.”

“The fertility rate is almost exactly one child to every mother, and she’s already having a hard time selling the houses she’s built.” Evan had to look down again as his boots, now slightly tarnished by the dirt and dust, now set foot on a large wooden bridge that would soon lead the Ballentyne siblings to Radasanth. “That’s not the only example. Dad’s a history teacher, and he has a whole lot of history to teach about our region up until about five hundred years ago, when the Direct Democracy was established. Things improved and then they became perfect. We were isolated from all this crap and had no wars, civil or otherwise.”

“You’re just making this easier, Evan. The Great South is the closest thing to a utopia int his world. The Universe has aligned it so.” Lilith waved her hands about referring to their surroundings. “This is no doubt Hell.”

This time Evan stopped and put his hands on his hips. “Then why do you, me, and every other Southerner we know take vacation here? Why do we who live in paradise take fun trips these places where crime and corruption are high, wars are inevitable, and challenge is constant.” Lilith tilted her head at that question, but before she could answer Evan did it for her. “I’ll tell you why. We were raised to desire this stuff. Chess, sparring matches, military history, all for a standing army that hasn’t seen action in four hundred years. Construction training for building things we already have enough of.”

“And what of your beliefs, Evan?” A valid question no doubt. Unlike the majority of the inhabitants of this world the people of the Great South was monotheistic.

“Eh.” Evan waved a shooing hand. “You don’t have to agree with someone to get along with them.”

“Clearly.” Lilith said with a chuckle. “What’s with the boots, Baby Boy?”

Items

Long Xiphos and Gauntlet: (ooc - Evan’s weapon set of choice features a stainless steel long version of the Ancient Greek xiphos sword.) The normal xiphos is quite small and highly curved, but Evan’s is much longer around 40”. The gauntlet is of the same caste and he often wears it under a long left sleeve.

Skills

Combat & Strategy: Through recreation Evan has an informal but keen knowledge of the tools and disciplines of war on scales grand and small. The challenge for him is putting them into practice. His strength lies in the long xiphos at his hip and the thick gauntlet hidden under his left sleeve. He is above average with these two peices.

Universal Connection: Evan has a special connection with the universe as those who share his beliefs occasionally do. Evan has some control over the physical world. As long as he has sufficient willpower, strength, and relevant knowledge he can achieve flight. Intercontinental flight drains him dangerously, and he’s still a human vulnerable to high velocities. Running starts and slow landings are needed.

His most distinctive ability concerning his connection to the universe is the creation of blue tinted ‘solid light’ objects, the precise physical nature of which has never been certain. The size complexity, strength, and temperature of which are only limited by Evan's willpower, strength and imagination. His most frequent use of this ability is to create a burning solid beam from his hands for tactical purposes and otherwise. Anything that he forms right now can have the strength of Iron or below and repeated uses of this ability would greatly weaken Evan.

According to historical references in the Great South people with his ability have been shown capable of accomplishing anything within their imagination. It’s the scale and magnitude that take time to develop.

Witchblade
06-23-08, 07:04 AM
You may have his Combat and Strategy skill at Above Average.

I need you to put a bit more of a restriction on Universal Connection besides Evan's willpower, strength and imagination. Anything that he forms right now can have the strength of Iron or below and repeated uses of this ability would greatly weaken Evan.

Ballantyne
06-23-08, 11:21 AM
Alright. Everything's been edited.

Witchblade
06-23-08, 11:23 PM
You are Approverized!