PDA

View Full Version : For the Love of...

Genesis Veselae
07-14-08, 05:35 PM
Genisis, stood, squatting down in a tree in the forest his bow drawn to half Pull-back, ready to shoot at anything that roused him. He looked around at the dense and moist undergrowth, praying that something would move and catch his attention.

He had been in the forest, hoping to get something, anything.. About 20 feet behind the tree he was in, a drop of dew dripped from a leaf and hit a puddle, making a small splashing sound.

Genesis heard and within the second, he turned, pulled the string and arrow back as far as possible, and let it fly. The arrow hit the dead center of the puddle, making a large whistle as it flew towards it. He saw there was nothing there, sighed and dropped out of the tree. He walked up and pulled the arrow from the dirt, looking around.
"Oh, well, I guess I should call it a day before I go insane out here, and shoot another puddle." He chuckled to himself as he packed up his arrows and other supplies.

He made for town and started walking the streets looking for something to do.

Lighthawk76
07-16-08, 10:05 PM
Matthew was still not use to the rocking of the ship when the city of Scara Brae finally came into view. After the rolling waves and salty sea spray, the farm boy was looking forward to setting foot back on solid ground. It was the afternoon when the call came out that harbor had been sighted, and Matthew was at his usual after lunch railing. He was feeling queasy, but it seemed that after a week of travel, his belly was finally learning to keep down his food.

He was lucky to be at the rail this day, able to see Scara Brae as it slowly came into view. The harbor was busy with ships coming to and from the city, and the piers buzzed with sailors, dockhands, travelers, and merchants looking to sell their wares. Beyond began the city proper, the collection of warehouses being the first buildings after the docks, with the more residential and mercantile seen right over them. It was the Castle of Valeena which dominated the view however. With its large walls filled with vibrant flower life and its turrets breaking the relative evenness of the skyline, it demanded the attention from out at sea.

Beyond the edge of the town and outlying farmlands, were the trees of Brokenthorn Forest, the largest feature of the island. From farther out, when Scara Brae harbor was still a thumb spot on the island, the island seemed an ocean of green and the forest enveloped it. The ocean even had its waves, with the Windlacer mountain range rising up from the island. The peak made it appear as if a spear of grey and white was coming up from the green ocean below.

“Ah, to be home again.” A sailor, Jonathan, made his way over the railing beside Matthew and looked fondly at the growing harbor and town. The young man was of an age with Matthew, and having grown up on a farm, had immediately become traveling companions. He had taught Matthew the layout of Scara Brae, on their voyage, his love for his home being proven as the young knight to be felt familiar to the new land before him purely from his new companion’s stories of its town, forests, and mountains.

“Looks like we part here, Matt.”

“Jonathan, we still have a half hour before we make it into harbor.”

“Ya, but the captain, he’ll be having us working ‘til we get there and working with the cargo ‘til the sun’s down. May not get a chance to say a proper good-bye.”

“Well, thank you for everything you’ve done. Traveling through here will be that much easier thanks to your help.”

“Ain’t a problem. Just make sure you don’t get killed peddling that religion stuff of yours. I seen angry mobs pitch priests into the drink for their teachings. Ain’t no telling what they’ll do to a farm boy.”

“I’ll be careful. Have you given it some thought?”

“I’ll pray when I pray. Leave you smarter folk to figurin’ out who I’m prayin’ to.”

“Well, you shall be in my prayers.”

“Thanks for that. I’ll be off now.”

The sailor shook Matthew’s hand and walked off to do his duties.

The sun was beginning to touch the horizon as Matthew dismounted Pride and tried to get his bearings. Jonathan had done him a great service in explaining Scara Brae Island, and while he know the general vicinity of Valeena Lake, he had no idea where to find the local temple. He had been leery of asking people for help, after having been accosted by the street merchants with titles of Lord and Prince and Sir. Few travelers went about riding off boats save people of better standing. The well kept shield with coat of arms and leather bound partisan at his back, along with sword in saddle-scabbard didn’t help to deny the assumption.

“Agony’s the lucky one, isn’t she Pride?” spoke Matthew absently to the horse. “Able to fly off and see this whole layout from above. Hope she’s not getting into any trouble. Or catching any,” he added, watching a scrawny cat prowl along the rooftops, an easy meal for a hungry hawk.

“Excuse me, sir,” said Matthew to passing black-skinned elf, bow at his back. “Do you know where I can find the local temple to the One? Or, I mean, the gods?”

Genesis Veselae
07-17-08, 06:13 PM
Genesis was walking along and noticed that ships were arriving, so he decided to go towards the docks, he was almost there, when a page on the streets had approached him and spoke.

"Yes, sir, it's right up the way." Genesis said to the page, turning his direction to walk alongside the human. "As a matter of fact, it's time I paid my respects and prayed for good hunts." He continued, before slowing to a stop, taking his large backpack off, and setting it on the ground. "Sen." He said, quietly, as a light flashed and a small black impish looking demon appeared before them, "Please return my things to the house." And then the demon grabbed the bag with both hands and teleported away again.

Genesis continued walking and sped up a small bit the catch up with the man,

"Do you suppose I could accompany you to the temple? Oh, my name is Genesis, by the way."

Lighthawk76
07-19-08, 10:29 PM
Matthew had grown use to the multitude of races which populated this part of the world. He had grown up knowing only the face of men and stories of the other races of Althanas, both friendly and monstrous. He had quickly learned that the stories weren’t always true to life. Here was a drow walking through city in broad daylight, not the first he had seen.

If he were to believe the stories he grew up with, the creature in front of him should be a mile below the earth, craving the blood of surface walkers, and Matthew should be in mortal combat for his life. As he had with anyone or thing which looked sentient since entering this strange land, Matthew had acted as if the creature was benevolent. The method didn’t always work, though more often than not it did.

He would never become used to such flagrant use of magic, however. Even as he saw the small Imp appear and disappear before his eyes, his jaw clenched and eyes widened, a quiet prayer to the One passing his lips, for strength of heart in the face of such power. In his homeland, magic was a closely protected art. While access was free to all, allowing for many a hedge witch or task mage, any power beyond simple cantrips was closely monitored by the church. Magic was a gift, there was no doubt of that, but such power was a temptation, something man already has in abundance. As Paladins, Servant Knights were expected to wield mighty magics, but only those who proved themselves attained such an honor. Matthew was fine waiting many a year for that honor.

“I would be glad of your accompaniment,” responded the young page to the dark elf, “though I must hurry, I have yet to acquire accommodations for the night, and the sun seems to be in a hurry to fall.

“My name is Matthew Connors and I come from a far off land across the western sea. I am a page in the Order of Servants Knights, a militant order in the Church of the Suffering Servant. I am here on pilgrimage, traveling the world abroad in order to become more… inspired, I guess. In many ways it is a page’s final decision to be knighted. I am to see whether I wish to serve my self in the world, or the world with myself.”

As the two spoke, the two reached the Temple. It was not an imposing building, somewhat small for being the main location of worship for the island nation. Smells of incense drifted from its windows and doors, carrying lights and murmurings of the faithful.

“I hope we can meet up again after our prayers, I may need some help in finding some place to stay. I shan’t be more than ten minutes.”

Parting ways with his new acquaintance for the moment, Matthew made his way into the temple. The first thing he noticed was the normal statues of the Thayne gods. The whole antechamber was there worship place. Hromagh, Khal’jaren, Draconus, Jomil, V’dralla, all had statues larger than life, each depicting their manifestation. Littered between them were images of the lesser Thayne, seemingly obedient to the Elder Thayne around them. All were dwarfed by the large image of Y’edda which commanded the attention of all who entered. A huge monument, reaching up to the ceiling, the goddess of the wild seemed to be in a state of abandonment, the ecstasy of her godhood clearly present in the statues yearning face and erotic posing. Vines, vivid green cloth, and strings of gems dripped from her form, more piled around her feet. She was the queen here. Many worshippers were at the feet of Y’edda, lighting candles or leaving small offerings of feathers, beads, flower, or tree limbs. Others knelt at the feet of the other Thayne, leaving their own tokens and lighting their own candles.

Matthew kept his head down and disappeared behind the huge statues through a small curtained door on the left. Beyond was a cramped room, filled with small altars and images of worship. Candlelight filled the room, as did dust and wax the floor. It was the room of the other gods, those that weren’t the Thayne. Scara Brae may preach respect for all faiths, but the unkemptness of this room, with its statuettes and altars so closely cramped together one must step into a thousand different worship places to find one’s own god, preached only tolerance. Matthew saw no altar to the Servant’s One.

He quickly ducked out, crossing to the other side of the antechamber, to the other room of tolerated gods. He saw no sign of his worship place here either, though the candlelight was even stronger. Among the cluttered items, he found three bare altars, no signs of worship upon them. He inspected one closely, and decided it must be waiting for worshippers, waiting for an unknown god.

He set himself down before the altar, took out his Book of the Servant, his prayer beads, lit a candle, and prayed.

As he finished, he carefully ripped out a page of his Book. It was a small selection on the Unknown God, preached by an early disciple of the martyred Suffering Servant. It was hard to part with, but something must be left to mark where that his God had come, something to enlighten. He left the page with a burning candle. Looking around he saw his was the only one burning, though the room was not lacking for light.

He made his way back to the street just in time to see the last rays of the sun disappear.

Genesis Veselae
07-21-08, 02:30 PM
Sorry, if I don't seem up to par with your Role-Playing, I don't have a lot of free time on my hands and, well try to bear with me.. =/

Genesis was standing against the wall outside the temple, he had never really prayed before, he just watched the sun set. He watched, one by one as the shadows from the building were cast upon the temple, the large doors of the temple openned and Matthew emerged, he approached him, "Are you ready?" He said, walking over to him.

Short post, sorry

Lighthawk76
07-23-08, 10:16 PM
The coming of night seemed to do nothing but awaken Scara Brae even more. The people relinquished their hold upon the streets, darting into alcoves and doorways as the night came on, but the rumbling and shouting within the local taverns, fight clubs, and places of even less repute were heard clearly.

It sounds of Scara Brae night life brought a bitter taste to the prospect of Matthew’s next task. He had stayed in some larger cities before, but had made a point to gain a room early in the day and make sure to disappear into his room before the poorer inns his finances forced upon him became places of drunken talk, violent fights, and, well, dishonorable and heinous actions in general. Not only would he have to brave the men and women he detested, but the chances of still finding a room weren’t very good either.

As the thoughts came through his mind he was surprised by the young dark elf. The dark skin of his companion had all but disappeared in the darkness of the streets.

“You almost gave me a fright, Genesis. You disappear so well into the cloak of night.

“Yes, I am finished with my task. Would you be able to help me find some accommodations for the night?”

Taskmienster
10-02-09, 03:19 PM
This thread has been waiting for over a year. If you would like to complete it, or work on it further, you can PM myself or another staff member and ask for it to be moved. However, till that time, it will be resting in the Scara Brae Archive forum.

Thanks,
~Task