PDA

View Full Version : This is the Way I Pray

Tainted Bushido
10-20-08, 10:20 PM
Closed to Zantetsuken

On the coast of Corone south of Radasanth but north of Akashima was a small island. Most people never gave it thought, though a few vessels would stop by it as a means of stretching your legs before you got cabin fever, the island was a picturesque tropical paradise, and was intended to be the hide away of perhaps one of the worlds greatest swordsman. In recent weeks however, ships had come in abundance, dropping off supplies and continuing on, occasionally dropping off people. What had once been the solitary confinement of a warrior had become a small city overnight. Tents stretched through the island as people prepared for the day this man would choose his successor.

Kai Atari, the Saint of Swords, lived upon this Island.

The Saint of Swords was a title that was given to this man, never demanded. He was what the land of Akashima had called a Kensai, or Sword Saint. A being who had trained with the sword for so long, that they were one with any blade they carried. A deadly profession, the Kensai would often try their varying techniques upon each other, if only to engage in friendly debate upon the better technique. Up until a month ago, they had been a myth, the sort of fairytale that one would assume was never real, but a goal to strive for.

That was, until the various Kensai long assumed dead had come out of hiding, and gathered forth those determined by Kai Atari. A few of these Kensai would join in the selection process, watching and observing. A few would partake, trying to vie for a title that had eluded them, for while they were all Sword Saints, there could be only one Saint of Swords. Even more had merely gathered the flock, shepherds that had known all along that the title would never be theirs, and had accepted this fact. The truth however, was that there were very few peers to Kai Atari, and to be selected as his heir, would be a boon not soon forgotten.

Taka, a Ronin who had long since been left for dead by his people, was one of these people. Trained by a Ronin who had recently left retirement, the monk Hoturi had taken Taka under his wing. It was not an unappreciated gesture, however, there was much to be learned here. Taka after all had been practicing his kata's diligently upon the deck of the Kobune under Hoturi's tutelage, only to find that he still had not mastered them. If anything he was only able to mimic the techniques taught to him, and not actually acquire them.

As he sat in his room Taka looked upon his arms and sighed. Tendrils of inky blackness blotted his skin, a sign of the blight upon his soul. It wasn't until recently, when Taka had served once more under his former Lord Jubei Hantei that he had learned of the cancer upon his very soul. He was tainted from exposure to Oni's blood, forever doomed to one day succumb to the unholy powers within him, and slip into insanity, before attempting to destroy the world about him.

His hand clenched into a fist as he gritted his teeth, holding onto the bandage in his hand as he began the process of tightly wrapping the bandages up his arms. Threading the bandages between his fingers he soon began to wrap carefully about the palm before working around the wrist and down his arms to well under where the Haori jacket of his kimono could cover. Having finished with one arm he began work on the other, recalling a friend's betrayal.

Sanzo had betrayed him forcing him to face the demon that had tainted his soul. This much he knew, and he could only hope Sanzo had paid for his treachery. As he continued to wrap the bandages, hiding his taint he sighed before he finally pulled on the gloves that would soon be covered by the armored fore plates of his kote. As he looked upon the small stand that held his twin blades he sighed, muttering a prayer to the Kami that looked over him. His hair had become long, flowing over his shoulders as he had taken to not cutting, it mainly at Hoturi's behest. The swordsman had not steered him wrong before, and he was not going to question him now.

As he carefully pulled the Haori over his chest he carefully tucked himself into the Kimono before he tied the obi. Soon his Katana and Wakizashi were placed on the proper place. Hoturi had said no violence was to ensue on the Island until the Saint of Swords willed it, and in proper Akashiman tradition had tucked his weapons under his right arm. The gesture would seem odd to most, until they realized he was a right handed person, and it was meant as a measure of respect.

Soon he exited his place on the ship, after packing up the few belongings to his person. As he stepped up onto the deck he heard Hoturi's boisterous laugh as the man came from in front of him and greeted Taka, "So good to see you up. You'd sleep the day away, given half a chance."

Taka smiled as he replied, "Merely assuring survival for today. While the sailors don't mind my Taint, I doubt other samurai would. Merely being cautious my friend."

More boisterous laughter left the former monk's lips before he said, "Of course Ronin, just don't feel too sullen. This is a good day Taka, a very good day to be alive! The feast when we get there will be excellent. Don't let your gloom overshadow the day you met the Saint of Swords himself!"

Soon Taka was caught off guard as while the Kobune ship crested a wave, the large monk had slapped his shoulder playfully. Touch on its own was rather uncustomary in Akashima, and coupled with the rather unbalanced way the ship had become; Taka nearly fell over the side before he gripped onto the railing and managed to keep himself from catapulting over the edge. More laughter was heard as the Ronin grumbled about murder attempts and sighed steadying his rapidly beating heart. The sun was beating down upon the ship as it finally crested the last of the waves and reached a small cove, where suddenly Taka understood why it had been a retreat from the world.

The water was crystal clear, leaving nothing hidden as fish swam through it. The occasional turtle swam amongst the schools snapping its jaws around a tasty treat before lazily swimming back towards the shores. The clear white sand left little to desire as the boat finally pulled ashore at the makeshift docks. Sailors quickly worked at tethering the ship before they were lead off the ship. Taka looked about the area with a critical eye before Hoturi spoke, a reverence in his voice, "Welcome to Sospita Island, home of Heroes, great and small."

Zantetsuken
10-22-08, 01:24 AM
(Time Period: 6 Months after The Hunt for the Blood Red Sword, the Masamune)

Karel's body was chilled at the cool flow of the sea breeze as the Tyrant bobbed ever lightly up and down against the waves of the mighty ocean. The whole idea was insane to him to even consider why he was on this boat, going to a secluded island in the middle of practically nowhere when out in the world was Vladimir Sigma, his newly found Rival from his adventures in Scara Brae. Yet there was something special about the letter, and he looked at the simple black envelope with the seal of his family embossed in wax next to the address where he was staying. Two things about Karel that he knew he didn't just give out, and yet this letter had both. Mysterious feelings aside, whoever wrote it wanted his attention and they wanted it immediately.

The letter had to have been read by his eyes nearly forty times since he first opened it yesterday, and the strangest fact upon the letter was that it anticipated his family's old Pirate friend Captain Batista was running his ship near where Karel was staying, and the coincidence of the timing was just a bit unsettling. But, steeling his resolve he vowed to see through whatever this was until the very end.

"Not that you really care," a gruff firm voice said behind the swordsman. "But Sospita Island has been spotted in the crow's nest. Within the hour we will drop you off." Karel turned to see the ship hand Luthor Russ, second mate of the ship and personal friend of Batista, a rare thing in Batista. He didn't make friends easily, but once the old man liked you there was no doubt you had an ally in the seas.

"I understand, tell Captain Batista I thank him for the voyage and that my father will repay the life boat I'm going to take off your hands." Luthor nodded walking back towards his station as Karel turned back towards the now slowly forming island. It looked like a jungle paradise, but surrounding the tiny piece of life in the sea of nothing was twenty or so other boats. Some from Corone, some from Islands near the Black Archipelago. A few Drow land ships sailed lethally in the water behind the others, but two war galleons from a far off province kept the Drow ships in check. A few Akishima ships sailed expertly towards the island, and Karel began to wonder what this event was really all about.

He sighed as he took out the letter, reading again trying to learn some other form of a hint as to what this all meant.

Dear Karel Hector Raven,

I'm pleased to announce that you have been selected in person by myself, Kai Atari, the Saint of Swords. I have on good authority that you are a wise and gifted swordsman, and I wish to test your skills in a series of tests to find a new owner to the title I carry. I have arranged for you to meet up with an old family friend at the docks of Scara Brae. I'd be very honored to have your presence at my home island of Sospita, and cheerfully await your arrival.

Kai Atari
Blessed and Humble Saint of Swords.

P.S. Don't worry, your new found friends won't be there, and neither will the Masamune. But if you want to conquer this man who stands in your way, maybe you should take me up on my offer. Next time you may not get a draw. I'm not saying, I'm just...ya know...saying.

The end of the letter always bothered him the most. It was so personalized that it chilled his bones, and not only that he was also a sarcastic asshole, whoever this Kai Atari was. But a title like the Saint of Swords was only a myth to him from before, and now the current owner of the title had invited him personally to come. He felt obligated to at least see if this event would be worth his time.

Lost in thought Karel day dreamed of what he had gone through, the terrible mountain ordeal, the assassin Magnus and their trials with Barte and his crime lord Uncle. The crazy fey elves and the fight in the volcano with Vladimir Sigma. Needless to say, he was tired of all the fun he was having, and he had a sneaky suspicion that this was going to be another round of unnecessary fun. He sighed feeling the presence of Luthor walking up behind him, two sailors already lowering his boat.

"Change in plans," Luthor said un-phased at the bad news he was bringing to Karel. "That's a large fleet of ships, and we are positive that the two drow ships had a run in with the Tyrant. Captain Batista says better safe than sorry." Luthor turned not even bothering to hear Karel's response. With a heavy sigh he made way for the row boat.

"Why do these bad things always happen to me..." Karel mumbled.

Tainted Bushido
02-17-09, 12:44 AM
Sandals crunched under feet as the group who had come from Yanbo harbor made their way towards the long table set forth upon the beach. There were torches, jutting forth from the table into the sky, lighting and warming the air about it, even when the sun had threatened to leave the sky and bring with it the biting cold of the night. The warriors mingled as any such people would, they sat at the table and began to talk exchanging stories and conquests.

It wasn’t for an hour that the host of the event even rose from his seat, at the end of the table and spoke, black hair gently playing with the wind that had picked up, “My fellow swordsmen! Welcome, I am the Saint of Swords, Kai Atari. I know many of you are wondering why you are here, and a few may already know. I know more than a few of the Kensai who had brought you here were loud mouths, and certainly would have told you what to expect. I will say this much, the rumors are true, every last one of them. Yes, I intend to retire, and yes, I need a replacement.”

Murmurs whispered through the ranks, even as the man moved from his seat and began to circle the table each step leaving a distinct crunch. For as loud and boisterous as the competitors for the Sword Saint’s title, they had fallen deathly silent when he had begun moving. The sand underneath his feet was the only sign he was moving, perhaps even more so that he was silent in any other sense of the word. The coat he wore was a dark blue, more of the color of Coronian Royalty than that of a man who had single handedly fought and defeated the worst horrors of Althanas.

“I will be clear gentlemen; I will take every chance to run you off this island. I will do everything in my power to make your time on this island a living hell. I will show you a brief glimpse of what being the Saint of Swords requires, and at the end of it, you will be profoundly changed. I will show you destruction, in a handful of sand…” With those words he raised a hand that had been clenched until then, before letting it open, grains of the beaches sand slipping through his fingers, before the wind playfully grabbed and danced with the grains. His eyes held firmness within them, a firmness Taka had only seen once before, in the eyes of his Sensei.

“However, this begins tomorrow gentlemen. Tonight, you may enjoy the hospitality of the Saint of Swords! Eat, drink, be merry, and have as much as you can stand! I promise not to awaken you till tomorrow has come, at say about…” He looked around at the kensai who had filtered into the table, each one sitting amidst a group of the swordsmen before he continued, “Two shall we say?”

Mutterings of ascent quickly exploded from the group as the warriors looked at each other nodding. Kai smiled before he himself nodded and carefully clapped his hands together letting the sand break free of his palms, “Then two it shall be! Enjoy the food gentlemen!”