PDA

View Full Version : No Sig Images?

Shisui
12-01-08, 03:14 AM
I was wondering, are we allowed to have sig images? Like banners and whatnot? I was trying to put one in mine and all it showed was the url.

Letho
12-01-08, 03:19 AM
No, sig images are not allowed here. You can put an additional image in your profile, though.

Shisui
12-01-08, 03:25 AM
lol, yeah, but that additional photo's what I made the sig from. I really like it too. Well, I guess I could immortalize here.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp30/Jake_Hideous/Shisui-1.jpg

...Sweet.

Darky
12-08-08, 10:04 AM
Well yea - but that doesn't explain why. =/
I mean no disrespect, but BB code can't do any harm to the site, its why its BB code =D
Plus, you allow pictures in posts - so it can't be an anti-image sorta thing.
If its the matter of people having absolutely huge things, although I'm not familiar with this format of forum, surely its possible just to give them a kick from behind, remove their sig and tell them not to do such in the future?

Arsène
12-08-08, 10:07 AM
It's actually been the status quo for a while.

A lot of veterans of Althanas think signature images are ugly as hell to look at and generally distracting from Althanas' main purpose of writing. That's why we allow signature text, we'd much rather you write out your personality than put up a colorful photoshopped picture.

EDIT:
I also deleted your other thread, because you seemed to have moved onto this one and edited that.

Christoph
12-08-08, 10:25 AM
Generally speaking, we seek to avoid having threads filled with countless bright and potentially flashy, and typically distracting, pictures. Besides, given that everyone here seems to use a different forum skin (we have a few, try them all out), a picture that seems to look cool on one backgroudn could be horrifically ugly on another.

Besides, everyone one this site has their own photo album to stock with whatever pictures they want (within the forum guidelines, of course).

Serilliant
12-08-08, 02:22 PM
As the guy who created this rule, allow me to give a little bit of a historical perspective.

Althanas used to allow sig images a long time ago. The hideousness problem has already been discussed, but as I'm sure you know, not all images are ugly. But even a gorgeous image gets tired after seeing it over and over and over and over again. And when everyone has a signature image, every thread is filled with pictures, making the text seem secondary. Part of our "look" is to be texty.

We're not anti-image so much as anti-the-same-image-over-and-over. If you would like to express your creativity, the Creative Endeavors (http://www.althanas.com/world/forumdisplay.php?f=80) forum is a great place to go. There was a thread awhile back about "Signature images you would have" and people posted all sorts of artsy things they had done. Maybe we should get one going again and, like Shisui said, immortalize them forever.

Darky
12-08-08, 05:16 PM
(Yes sorry about the duplicate thread.)
To be honest, that all sounds a little silly considering you allow Avatars. :P
However, I wont argue - I can see where you're coming from, although I've never experienced that irritation from repetition AND the majority of signatures are boarder-intensive and as such look similar on a variety of colours.
But your site, your rules. :P

Tainted Bushido
12-08-08, 06:27 PM
(Yes sorry about the duplicate thread.)
However, I wont argue - I can see where you're coming from, although I've never experienced that irritation from repetition AND the majority of signatures are boarder-intensive and as such look similar on a variety of colours.
But your site, your rules. :P

Its also for the poor judges who go through threads all the time. It may seem to you to be just an inch high picture, but with 20 posts per page, that's almost 2 feet you have to scroll extra when going through a thread.

Hint: Disable sigs after the first, it might just boost your score ;)

Serilliant
12-08-08, 06:36 PM

Avatars are useful for identification purposes. You'll notice there's also a prohibition of obnoxiously animated avatars.

Shisui
12-09-08, 12:01 PM
Avatars are useful for identification purposes. You'll notice there's also a prohibition of obnoxiously animated avatars.

Yeah, after being here for a couple years, I've learned to know people by their avatars. Like Serilliant: He's had that duck avvy for as long as I can remember, so I think of him as the duckman, so-to-speak. I always get thrown a little when people change avvies but it takes naught but a minute to begin characterizing them with their new image.

Strickland
02-08-09, 08:44 PM
Yeah, after being here for a couple years, I've learned to know people by their avatars.

Same here. I tend to like to change mine often, but I try to keep the same character or "look". Sephiroth/Kenpachi for Vincent, Aizen for Jack, etc...
I appreciate that Althanas doesn't allow animated avatars, actually. Besides most being obnoxiously annoying, some of the flashier ones can be real pains in the ass for those with epilepsy or other seizure disorders.
I used to think that the whole sig thing was, as put before, a bit silly, but having been on the site longer I've found that "the duck" is right: they would just ruin the whole text look.

Melancor
02-12-09, 11:47 PM
One of my pet peeves is when people do not wear an avatar, since I recognize most people through the image they are using as their avatar its as if avatar-less accounts don't exist.

Olivan
02-17-09, 03:20 PM
That's an interesting comment, because that's how I feel. Although, it does tend to bother me if people use highly popular characters from highly popular anime, or use real life pictures of celebrities.