PDA

View Full Version : Whatchya' Reading: The Expanded Audience Edition

BlackAndBlueEyes
12-11-08, 08:55 PM
Sooooo, I'm pretty sure that all of you people coming in from far away websites are fans of reading as much as you're fans of writing. What book(s) are you clearing through now? Got any recommendations for us? What books are next up on your list?

Inkfinger
12-11-08, 09:18 PM
I am reading Proust and the Squid: The Story And Science of the Reading Brain.

...yeah.

On a less dry, more interesting level, I am reading through Inkdeath since my library finally got it, and kinda-sorta picking through Trigun Maximum. I'm also contemplating re-reading The Neverending Story now that school is out for the year.

BlackAndBlueEyes
12-11-08, 10:35 PM
I just finished "Orcs" by Stan Nicholls. Like, thirty seconds ago.

Gonna' be honest with you: I'm no fan of Western fantasy, but c'mon... The main characters are freakin' orcs, man!

Next up is "The Zombie Survival Guide" by the godly Max Brooks (yeah, I'm late for the whole bandwagon)

Phoenix
12-12-08, 07:02 AM
At the moment I am reading Necroscope II: Wamphyri!, and am about to start the Night Angel Trilogy. I am toying with having a quick read of the Woman in Black again when I am done with University assignments, and am hoping for Christmas I get the next installation of the Dark Tower comics. :D As my other half works for Waterstones (a book store) he gets 30% off so we will be adding to our library in the new year. :D Any recommendations?

Lord Synical
12-12-08, 07:26 AM
VAMPIRE ACADEMY!

Read it. Love it.

Also, Wheel of Time. Up to Book 9 myself.

Fuck Twilight..

BlackAndBlueEyes
12-12-08, 08:11 AM
Suggestions?

"Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" by Cory Doctorow
Jeff Lindsay's "Dexter" series
"The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl" by Barry Lyga
"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card
"Sewer, Gas, and Electric" by Matt Ruff
Anything by Christopher Moore or Chuck Palahniuk

Phoenix
12-12-08, 08:14 AM
Ah, thanks for the recommendations.

Have read all of WoT, including New Spring, and although RJ is not may fave author (RIP) I do like his books well enough.

Have never read Twilight and don't intend to. Her next book is basically a re-write of the first one from another characters perspective so just reading that about her made me lose all respect for her. >_<

MetalDrago
12-12-08, 08:22 AM
I'm re-reading the Serpentwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist, and I plan on going to pick of the last book in his Riftwar Saga, A Darkness at Sethanon, as soon as I can get some money and find a good used bookstore.

I'm also planning on picking up and actually reading the Wheel of Time, and finishing my Sword of Truth Series Collections. As far as single books, I haven't read many. I'm a fan of Dragonlance, and I've been trying to find the books that were based in the worlds of Myst, though I only ever owned the second book in that series... As far as anything else, I'm eclectic, and I'll read just about anything that looks interesting.

This includes biographies, as I own a biography of Sir Isaac Newton, which is actually pretty interesting.

BlackAndBlueEyes
12-12-08, 08:24 AM
Fuck "Twilight"... Bram Stoker's "Dracula" will be the only vampire book I'll ever read. I'm not down with the tween scene going gaga over a love story with a bunch of surly emo vamps--whatever happened to a good ol' fashioned village slaughtering?

Oh, shiiii--I forgot to add some other recommendations.

"World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War" by Max Brooks
The "Trigun", "Hellsing", "Excel Saga", and "Fullmetal Alchemist" manga series
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams
Lian Hearn's "Tales of the Otori" saga--read "Heaven's Net is Wide" first, since while it was the last book released, it's the first in the timeline.

Is there anyone else who hates when authors do that? They write a series, then the last book they write is the one that takes place right before all the other ones? Takes all the suspense right out of the ending... You already know what's going to happen! >.<

Witchblade
12-12-08, 08:29 AM
I just finished reading Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay, who writes amazing fantasy stories by the way. His storylines are very intricate and exceedingly well written and leaves you turning the pages as fast as possible. He is by far one of my favourite authors. If you're interested in him I recommend reading The Fionavar Tapestry before reading Ysabel, though it's definitely not mandatory.

Phoenix
12-12-08, 08:35 AM
Necroscope has some awesome vampire stuffs (if you like the Legacy of Kain games you might see where the creators got their 'inspiration'). I have read the classic horrors and have got the Hitchhikers books. :D Goodkind was another I am eager to read and is on 'the list' (along with The Fall of the House of Usher - Poe, The Pit and the Pendulum - Poe, The Tell-Tale Heart – Poe, The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly, Tess of the D’Urbervilles – Hardy, Little Sisters of Euluria - King, Gormenghast - Mervyn Peake).

BlackAndBlueEyes
12-12-08, 08:38 AM
I've got the entire works of Poe sitting on my bookshelf. Along with some Sherlock Holmes, Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", Homer's Iliad and Odyssey...

"Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami is really awesome, too... Way better than the movie.

MetalDrago
12-12-08, 08:40 AM
I've only ever read one of the Tales of the Otori books. I loved it. I think it was called Across the Nightingale Floor.

Phoenix
12-12-08, 08:41 AM
I have most of Poe's poetry and some short stories, but really want his entire collection. :D

Also, anymore Gothic horror or just gothic tales for recommendations would be welcomed. :D

Any manga/graphic novel titles too. Since my partner is in charge of the sci fi/fantasy/crime and thriller/ horror/ manga sections any in these genre's would be welcomed. :D

Another book I keep forgetting the title/author of that I meant to get was something like... song of Fire and Ice or something? Anyone know anything about this um, series?

Lord Synical
12-12-08, 08:42 AM
No, really.
Read Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead.
The Georgina Kincayde series by Richelle Mead.
Wheel of Time (I started with New Spring).
The Alex Rider series is also surprisingly good.

Oh, and... The Georgina Kincayde series is for 18+. It's adult fiction... it's about a succubus.
And... Vampire Academy... Well shit, it's a Teen novel but adults would connect with it. It really has some political backbone to it and more than that the series itself is a shocker. The books are short enough to be fun and long enough to keep you wanting more. Richelle Mead is a tease.

Phoenix
12-12-08, 08:47 AM
For anyone thinking of reading Wheel of Time, persevere with it. There are some really good parts. Although the author died before completing the final book so um, its being written by another fantasy author from Jordan's notes and his wife's guidance methinks. A good series but he does get bogged down in his exposition and descriptives sometimes, worse then Tolkien IMO. RJ was not aided by the fact that he never kept any notes... >_>

On the subject of Vampires is it even worth my time reading any Ann Rice? I do like me vamps but am wary about most vamp/werewolf crappola on the shelves these days.

Oh and as a FR's fan I'd welcome any suggestions for books by anyone but Salvatore as I've read most of his stuff.

Saxon
12-12-08, 08:48 AM
I've been trying to find some more meaningful books ever since I finished reading The Devil In The White City by Erik Larkson, so if any of you have any really good books that you'd like to shout out, I'd love to hear about them.

What I have on hand right now;

-The Right Hand of Doom by Mike Mignola
-Conan The Freebooter by Robert E. Howard and L. Sprague De Camp
-Conan The Wanderer by Robert E. Howard, L. Sprague De Camp and Lin Carter
-Unnatural Selection by Tim Lebbon
-The Gunslinger by Steven King
-Fury's Piligrims by James Axler

BlackAndBlueEyes
12-12-08, 08:49 AM
I've only ever read one of the Tales of the Otori books. I loved it. I think it was called Across the Nightingale Floor.

Trust me: It only gets better from there. "Grass for his Pillow", "Brilliance of the Moon", and "Harsh Cry of the Heron"... All were farkin' amazing.

Phoenix
12-12-08, 08:52 AM
-The Gunslinger by Steven King

Have you read all of the DT series? I saw that book and was slightly shocked, I know so few people online and in RL who have read King's TDT series. :(

Saxon
12-12-08, 08:55 AM
Have you read all of the DT series? I saw that book and was slightly shocked, I know so few people online and in RL who have read King's TDT series. :(

It was pressed upon me to read it by a friend. I put it away after the first couple pages because it was putting me to sleep, but I guess I'll eventually read the whole thing. I've never liked Steven King that much at all, but when it comes to reading I try and give everybody an equal chance.

..Within reason.

MetalDrago
12-12-08, 08:56 AM
Trust me: It only gets better from there. "Grass for his Pillow", "Brilliance of the Moon", and "Harsh Cry of the Heron"... All were farkin' amazing.

I'll take your word for it. I was planning on buying the entire series of books, anyway

Phoenix
12-12-08, 09:04 AM
It was pressed upon me to read it by a friend. I put it away after the first couple pages because it was putting me to sleep, but I guess I'll eventually read the whole thing. I've never liked Steven King that much at all, but when it comes to reading I try and give everybody an equal chance.

..Within reason.

Ah, yes, the Gunslinger is a difficult book to read. It takes most people until the end of the Drawing of the Three before they get into the series, which is not good writing. As with Jordan, I'd say persevere, many non King Fans love the DT books but will not read his other stuff. :P Personally I am a huge King fan, have been since I read Misery when I was 8. :p

Zook Murnig
12-12-08, 09:11 AM
I've been really into the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher lately, and I recently started reading the early books. I'm on Fool Moon right now. I love the character of Harry Dresden.

Lord Synical
12-12-08, 09:11 AM
Wheel of Time can become straining in some parts. But then Jordan does something that completely blows your mind. The main fault is his massive amount of fillers and pointless chapters about one-off characters. But those aren't too bad and honestly, the series as a whole is worth the read.

Saxon
12-12-08, 09:13 AM
Ah. Well, I also suggest that you folks read Baltimore by Christopher Golden and Mike Mignola. I often hate trying to read stories with vampires in them because people tend to use the archetype and let it stew without adding any meaning behind it, but this one did it fairly well by turning around and telling a story with an old spin and new twists.

BlackAndBlueEyes
12-12-08, 09:18 AM
The Dresden Files is pretty tight--although I only read the first book so far. In one sitting.

Christoph
12-12-08, 10:04 AM
I've been really into the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher lately, and I recently started reading the early books. I'm on Fool Moon right now. I love the character of Harry Dresden.

I read through the most recent one not that long ago. It's a great series.

Artifex Felicis
12-12-08, 12:31 PM
Going down in literary skill and awesomeness.

Romance of the three Kingdoms, volume I. Think the anchient Chonese version of the Illiad and far more awesome and confuzzling.

Neil Gaiman's "Smoke and mirrors." Just a collection of short stories by the guy himself. Rather awesome so far.

"Lucifer" = Spinoff from the sandman. Very well written. Very cool, very awesome. He never tells a lie and remains awesome.

"Ciaphas Cain: duty Calls." = Because I am a whore for well written 40k stuff. And frankly I enjoy my dark humour.

Phoenix
12-12-08, 02:32 PM
Oh! Anyone a Discworld fan here? Also, I love Gaiman and Pratchett's - "Good Omens". :D

Inkfinger
12-12-08, 04:17 PM
Oh! Anyone a Discworld fan here? Also, I love Gaiman and Pratchett's - "Good Omens". :D

Discworld is awesome, though I can never decide if I like the Rincewind books or the Night Watch books better. My all time favorite (so far) is probably The Truth. It's just -ing good.

I still need to read Good Omens, as I love everything else by Pratchett that I've read, as well as everything I've read by Gaiman barring Stardust, which I hated. Neverwhere is currently my favorite Gaiman work, followed by the Sandman series. Delirium and Matthew <3.

Phoenix
12-12-08, 04:36 PM
My best mate keeps trying to get me into Gaiman properly, i got her the Sandman series years ago and keep meaning to 'borrow' them off her. :P The first Pratchett book I read was Mort and I adored it. I do so love Rincewind though, best-coward-EVER. :D Still haven't read all the books though, took a break just after the Gods books and am getting back to them ASAP. :D Good Omens is awesome, I love it. The Four Horseman are some of my fave characters, also in this they are slightly different. Aziraphale and Crowley are soooo funny though. :D

Taskmienster
12-12-08, 04:44 PM
The Kite Runner and Thousand Splendid Suns. Amazing books, both by the same author. If you haven't read them, they're... possibly the two best books I've ever read, hands down. Author: Khaled Hosseini

Also just finished Civil Disobedience and Walden. Author: Henry David Thoreau

Inkfinger
12-12-08, 04:58 PM
The Kite Runner and Thousand Splendid Suns. Amazing books, both by the same author. If you haven't read them, they're... possibly the two best books I've ever read, hands down. Author: Khaled Hosseini

Also just finished Civil Disobedience and Walden. Author: Henry David Thoreau

The Kite Runner is on my to-read-over-holidays list. I've been meaning to read it for a long, long time.

Shisui
12-12-08, 07:03 PM
Going down in literary skill and awesomeness.

Romance of the three Kingdoms, volume I. Think the anchient Chonese version of the Illiad and far more awesome and confuzzling.

Oh, yeah! I would definitely recommend that. Being a hardcore Dynasty Warriors fan myself, I can vouch for the story's epicness.

Moving on.. The latest book I read was Shadowrealm by Paul S. Kemp, a literary genius. He writes in the Forgotten Realms and does a damn good job. In a review of his book Shadowstorm, the novel before Shadowrealm, very good things were said.

Among them: But for readers to invest in the frenetic action that sees lives won and lost, the camera must be lowered to ground-level and placed behind the eyes of one or more protagonists with whom the reader can identify and sympathize. Paul S. Kemp's ability to do this with ease and grace marks him as one of the best fantasy authors writing today, and marks “Shadowstorm”, the second book of his Twilight War trilogy, as an adventure not to be missed.

I have always loved his books, and with Shadowrealm being his latest and last for some time, I can't wait to jump back into his mind.

Suggestions:
1. I'd suggest novels in the Forgotten Realms, either by R.A. Salvatore or Paul S. Kemp.

2. The Pendragon series. It's the only teen/adult Sci-Fi/Fantasy I've read in a long time with an original and refreshing idea that works rather well.

3. A Million Little Pieces, by James Frey. Some people didn't like it, but I think it's worth checking out.

4. House of Leaves, a bizarre but awesome book.

5. I Am Legend. The book that inspired Stephen King as a horror novelist.

6. Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. A truly epic book. Don't attempt this if you have a short attention span as the book is over a thousand pages in length as it centers around the decline of western civilization and explores many philisophical views throughout.

7. If you don't mind reading a graphic novel, check out Watchmen. Good stuff.

Grammar_police
12-12-08, 10:01 PM
I just finished the book 1984 by George Orwell, and it was a good one. My only problem was that at times it would get boring at times and almost a chore to read, but always it came back. Highly recommend.

Also I have just started The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, and let me tell you, that book is friggin long! Something like 1300 pages or so. But i do have to say i am really enjoying it. Also recommend.

Inkfinger
12-12-08, 10:17 PM
I just finished the book 1984 by George Orwell, and it was a good one. My only problem was that at times it would get boring at times and almost a chore to read, but always it came back. Highly recommend.

1984 is high on my list of favorite books. It's amazing to see how accurate some of Orwell's ideas have become. Scary, but amazing. Animal Farm is another really good book by him, one that I actually enjoyed more than 1984.

A couple of books I would recommend include:

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank. It holds the dubious honor of being the book I finished reading on September 10th, 2001 at eleven o'clock at night. I had dreams about nukes and bombs and war that night, and to this day I haven't been able to read that book without remembering the feeling of being 14 and panicked that it seemed to be happening. It is a really good book, though. Strangely optimistic for its subject matter.

Lord of the Flies by William Golding is one of the best books I have read dealing with the idea of society and how easily it can fall. It's an awesome book, creepy and entertaining and it has a good moral if you care to take that sort of thing out of a book.

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende is one of those books that you read because you saw the movie when you were a little kid and then go "But this is nothing like the movie at all!" The book is (as inevitably happens) a thousand times better, and turns out to be a lesson on the dual nature of fantasy and imagination: if you don't get enough you dry up and die, but if you let it get too strong a hold on you you become something even you cannot recognize. It's a story within a story possibly within another story, and if possible you need to get a copy with the full-page chapter-starting-letters and the two-colored inks. <3

For "lighter" reading, I recommend Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green. I have only read the first book in this series (something I hope to rectify soon!), but it's just...just. It's not easily described other than "creepy" "surreal" and "awesome". It also has Razor Eddie and for that reason I will love it forever.

...I will be back in this thread so many more times that ya'll are gonna want to boot me out. Ha.

Taskmienster
12-13-08, 02:37 AM
If you enjoy social satire, such as Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm, you should check out Fahrenheit 451: Bradberry (sp?) Amazing book. And if you haven't read the actual Alice in Wonderland books, and have your visions of it through Disney alone, you should check that out as well.

Phoenix
12-13-08, 04:31 AM
I love you people. Lord of the Flies is awesome. William Golding did a lecture at my University last month! :D And I did 1984 for my set text at college, along with A Handmaids Tale. Both awesome books about a dystopia, and I love Orwell's view on Communism - even though I am pretty open minded (I love sociology and love Marx, even though I sympathise with a few theories). Animal Farm is a must read too. ;)

Paul S. Kemp is someone i am sure I have heard of and will most definitely check him out for my next lot of FR's novels. :D Thank you so much! And I am Legend inspired SK? Then I simply have to check it out. I don't normally like reading a book after I have seen the film but I did love the movie, which should mean the book is even better (for me). :D

Inkfinger
12-13-08, 08:16 AM
If you enjoy social satire, such as Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm, you should check out Fahrenheit 451: Bradberry (sp?) Amazing book. And if you haven't read the actual Alice in Wonderland books, and have your visions of it through Disney alone, you should check that out as well.

Ray Bradbury is my literary hero - he's the only author I have found who can mix melancholy, subtle horror, joy and nostalgia so effectively. I can count on one hand the stories I have read by him that I didn't like (Namely the sequel to Dandelion Wine that came out a few years ago, Farewell Summer and From the Dust Returned, though I admit that I can't remember why I didn't like From the Dust Returned so I may have to try reading it again.) and have a list of short stories and novels as long as my arm that I can recommend.

Short story gems include: The Veldt (http://www.veddma.com/veddma/Veldt.htm), Zero Hour, The Rocket (...actually, really? You can't go wrong with The Illustrated Man in general), The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl, The Skeleton, There Will Come Soft Rains, The Exiles and (if you are a softhearted easily-incited-to-tears person such as myself) the heartbreaking All Summer in a Day.

Novels-wise, of course, Fahrenheit 451 is awesome, but his lesser-known (also less scifi and more murder-mystery/memoir) trilogy (Death is a Lonely Business, A Graveyard for Lunatics and Lets All Kill Constance) is fascinating and awesome (middle book's the best in my humble opinion) and Dandelion Wine is a rose-tinted autobiographical fiction that has some of the best literary frameworking I've ever encountered.

A friend of mine was all set to meet him at ComicCon last summer and get my copy of Fahrenheit 451 autographed for me, but Mr. Bradbury couldn't be there. It made us both very sad. :(

Shisui
12-13-08, 02:31 PM
Paul S. Kemp is someone i am sure I have heard of and will most definitely check him out for my next lot of FR's novels.

Make sure you start with his early stuff in FR. It isn't as good as the Twilight War Trilogy, but still pretty damn good. You can start with the Erevis Cale Trilogy or, and I'd advise this, start with The Halls of Stormweather and Shadow's Witness. They're his first foray into writing with Cale and are pretty good for a first time out.

Phoenix
12-18-08, 01:53 PM
Totally will do. :D

Anyone heard of a book called Name of the Wind (I think that's what its called anyhoo). My other half is reading it atm and is loving it.

Grammar_police
02-12-09, 10:48 PM
I dont know why this thread died. I personally do like hearing what people read so I can find new books for myself. Its been like a month or two since the last post and I'm sure you people have read something since then, right?

I just finished The Count of Monte Cristo, and loved it. It has just surpassed A Clockwork Orange as my favorite book of all time. It has almost every genre possible in that book: Romance, Adventure, Mystery, and any other thing could possibly think of. Ill probably read it again soon.

Also finished Animal Farm, and it was as great as everyone said it was. Of the few alegories I've read this one is by far the greatest.

I also finished the Alice in Wonderland books that Task recommended. They were surprisingly enjoyable, and much better than the Disney movies were. It was the simplicity of it that was so great, everyone likes a simple book right? It nice to be able to sit down and read a simple and enjoyable book like this, instead of Shakespeare or Dante which requires (atleast for me) absolute attention.

Right now I just started One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and its... interesting. A story about an insane asylum told by someone at the aylum is an interesting idea. But so far I have no complaints.

Next I think I'll try that Neverending Story Inkfinger talked about. I like that kind of stuff.

BlackAndBlueEyes
02-12-09, 11:01 PM
I'm now reading "Fool" by Christopher Moore.

It's basically Shakespeare's King Lear but told from the jester's point of view.

The Mathemagician
02-12-09, 11:18 PM
Just finished "Watchmen" Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.

Holy crap. That book was amazing. Haven't read anything that good since...jeez. Don't even know when. It was awesome. Movie coming out this spring. Can't wait for it.

Edit: ((Oh, wait, didn't realize this was in the Invitational. Sorry. Dunno if I'm allowed to post here (since I'm not a participant) ))

BlackAndBlueEyes
02-12-09, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I've been reading Watchmen again (on and off) before the movie hits theaters. Hell, I even put in for the night off from work on the 6th so I can go watch it. Damn right it's an amazing book.

Ariana
02-13-09, 12:39 AM
Well the Inheritance Cycle is a good set. Its by Christopher Paolini. READ IT LOVE IT MARRY IT! i say it is that good.

Alydia Ettermire
02-13-09, 01:33 AM
I'm now reading "Fool" by Christopher Moore.

It's basically Shakespeare's King Lear but told from the jester's point of view.

You're gonna have to tell me if that's any good. The Fool was my favorite character in that play.

Jericho
02-13-09, 02:55 AM
Totally. The Fool rocked that play, while everyone else was being less than intelligent...

I'm discovering increasingly how amazing Tom Robbins is...Another Roadside Attraction? Yes.

Christoph
02-13-09, 05:53 AM
I just finished reading the massive Witch Hunter omnibus by C.L. Werner. It was very good -- much better and fresh and original than I'd expected.

BlackAndBlueEyes
02-13-09, 09:56 AM
"Fool" is pretty, um, vulgar... Enough so that Moore put a warning in the beginning of the book saying that it was a "bawdy tale"...

But I'm about halfway through it right now, and its definitely one of the better books by him I've read.

Grammar_police
02-13-09, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I've been reading Watchmen again (on and off) before the movie hits theaters. Hell, I even put in for the night off from work on the 6th so I can go watch it. Damn right it's an amazing book.

Ohh, I want to watch that movie. Didnt know there was a book though, I'll have to check it out.

Christoph
02-13-09, 01:08 PM
I'm intentionally not reading the graphic novel until I see the movie. I want to watch the movie as a movie, not as a movie about a graphic novel.

Ashiakin
02-13-09, 02:11 PM
Gormenghast - Mervyn Peake).

I love Mervyn Peake. The Gormenghast books are amazing.

Recently I have read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, which I did not like, and Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood, which I did like. Right now I'm reading Light by M. John Harrison.

As far as comics/graphic novels go, I still need to finish reading the latter half of Transmetropolitan.

Aside from the Gormenghast books, I'd recommend The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe and Perdido Street Station and The Scar by China Miéville.

Lightfoot
02-13-09, 02:13 PM
Devil's Cape by Rob Rogers. A fresh take on the superhero genre. It's pretty good so far.

Cyrus the virus
02-13-09, 02:30 PM
I'm currently looking for a Vonnegut book that I haven't read.

Shadowed
02-13-09, 04:40 PM
I got nearly a dozen books for christmas, still working through them all - read the Ender's Shadow series, some Star Wars books, the Hobbit, and just now finished Fellowship. On to Two Towers!

The Mathemagician
02-13-09, 08:56 PM
read the Ender's Shadow series

Ender's Shadow maybe is the best sci-fi book I ever read. Ender's game maybe the second best. They're really really good. Rest of the series probably isn't worth it though, meh.

Dune Series = best sci fi series ever. Better than Foundation, in my opinion. Yeah, I went there.

Currently re-reading Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair, due to the major role toast plays within it.

Shadowed
02-13-09, 09:05 PM
Are you kidding me? The rest of the series is amazing! Granted, I get a hardon from geopolitics, but still. It's some amazingly good stuff.

The Mathemagician
02-13-09, 09:10 PM
Meh. Not as good as Ender's Shadown and Ender's Game though. Once they grew up it was...not as good. Speaker for the Dead and Xenophobia were good though.

I mean, they were relatively not as good. Still Card, which means better than 99% of other authors o_o He's amazing!

Shadowed
02-13-09, 09:13 PM
Hah, that's amusing. See, I loved the rest of the Ender's Shadow series, but hated Speaker/Xeno. Couldn't stand them. The rest of the Shadow series is so full of political and strategic goodness, that I just can't help liking it.

The Mathemagician
02-13-09, 09:14 PM
*shame*

I haven't even read past Shadow of the Hegemon actually! Lol.

BlackAndBlueEyes
02-13-09, 11:19 PM
Ender's game has probably the best ending to a book I've ever read.

Speaker for the Dead actually stands as one of my favorite books of all time.

I have Xenocide and Children of the Mind sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read.

I haven't touched any of the Shadow series, though.

Shadowed
02-13-09, 11:46 PM
If you want a setting and story that actually follows closer to Ender's Game, don't bother. But if you want a really gripping political and strategic thriller, read them. Though, Ender's Shadow itself merely paints a very interesting second perspective to Ender's Game.

BlackAndBlueEyes
02-13-09, 11:49 PM
Political anything makes Andy go "meh". As cool as Bean and Peter are, I'll give it a pass.

The Mathemagician
02-14-09, 12:08 AM
Ok, Blackandblueeyes (long to type) here's the gist.

Read Ender's Shadow. READ IT! Seriously! That one is VERY MUCH worth reading. I honestly think it's better than Ender's game is. And it's not any more heavily into the politics side than Ender's game is. Same story, actually, just different main character. If you liked Game, you'll like Shadow.

As for the rest of that series...meh. I like politics fine, but I just didn't think they were as engaging. I dunno. Maybe I should give them a second chance. It was years ago since I last picked them up.

But Ender's Shadow is worth reading. SERIOUSLY. Don't blow it off!

Ashiakin
02-14-09, 01:08 AM
I've read Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, both when I was younger. I don't remember how I felt about Ender's Shadow but the conceit involved is one I'm wary of. I remember enjoying Ender's Game but being horrified by an Orson Scott Card interview where he talked about how Ender did the right thing at the end. But he's a pretty damaged person so I guess I can try to forget his opinion and still enjoy my memories of the book.

Cyrus the virus
02-14-09, 02:03 AM
I met a girl once who INSISTED that I read Ender's Game, but I can't remember who the hell she was.

Dune's the only one in its series that I could stand.

Mabus
02-14-09, 02:37 AM
Dune and Ender's Game are both good. Too bad Herbert's son and friends screwed up his series, and Card screwed himself up, though.

I'm currently reading 'Poe Shadow'. It's pretty good. Not as good as it might have been, but very interesting.

Ya Zhen
02-14-09, 10:45 AM
Right now Im finishing up the elric story the vanishing tower. God series highly recomended if your into the "Sword and sorcery" style of fantasy.

The Mathemagician
02-14-09, 06:49 PM
I met a girl once who INSISTED that I read Ender's Game, but I can't remember who the hell she was.

...huh? They're different books, by different authors, in different settings, in different series. What are you talking about?

I think Dune might be better though, yeah.

I didn't know about Card being messed up like that though, seriously. That's disappointing.

Dunno what you're talking about either Ashiakin. How did Ender not do the right thing in the end? He was tricked into killing the buggers, didn't know what was actually going on. Didn't know it was real soldiers. Then, later, when he finds out, he revives the species based from one egg. Seems perfectly moral to me. Well, in "Ender's Shadow" anyway he was fine.

Some of the stuff in Xenophobia and Speaker for the Dead and the rest of those...pretty messed up. Meh. He's an incredibly good writer though, so I think I can forgive him for it.

Alydia Ettermire
02-14-09, 06:53 PM
I remember enjoying the Shadow books more than the Ender books, personally. They're different, but Card was a better writer by the time he wrote down Bean's story. More experienced.

Cyrus the virus
02-14-09, 07:35 PM
I put those sentences apart for a reason, because they're not related.

Meaning Dune's the only book in the Dune series that I liked.

The Mathemagician
02-14-09, 08:09 PM
I put those sentences apart for a reason, because they're not related.

Meaning Dune's the only book in the Dune series that I liked.

Ah, my bad. Understanding failure on my part. Personally I liked Dune and God Emperor of Dune and not the others.

I remember enjoying the Shadow books more than the Ender books, personally. They're different, but Card was a better writer by the time he wrote down Bean's story. More experienced.

I really should go back and read those Shadow books...it was a long time ago since I tried them, wouldn't be bad to give them a second chance.

Inkfinger
02-14-09, 08:32 PM
Well the Inheritance Cycle is a good set. Its by Christopher Paolini. READ IT LOVE IT MARRY IT! i say it is that good.

Everybody's entitled to their own opinions on books, but as a devourer of children and young adult fantasy (both for personal interest and for my career of choice), The Inheritance Cycle may be the worst thing to happen to literature (barring Twilight) in a long time. The story is a basic rehash of everything that a 14 year old boy thought was interesting, stuffed into one story.

It may be enjoyable, and I have nothing against people who enjoy it (I read mass market Star Trek and Star Wars novels from the early 90s, who am I to begrudge anyone anything?) but I would stop before calling it quality.

Just finished "Watchmen" Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.

Holy crap. That book was amazing. Haven't read anything that good since...jeez. Don't even know when. It was awesome. Movie coming out this spring. Can't wait for it

Watchmen and Sandman are still the only comics I have read that clicked as being epic and worth re-reading. Part of the joy of The Watchmen is you get to the end of the book and you still don't know where your sympathies lie; who you were supposed to hate and who you were supposed to love...

I am so glad that the copyright stuff got worked out so we can watch it, though I will be going in slightly skeptical and anticipating interesting reactions from Mr. Moore...

And I still need to read stuff by Card. Maybe once I finish the three books on my bookshelf that I haven't read yet...

Shadowed
02-14-09, 08:45 PM
If you read Card, start with Ender's Game, then Ender's Shadow/the rest of that series. Best series he ever wrote.

The Mathemagician
02-14-09, 08:49 PM
Everybody's entitled to their own opinions on books, but as a devourer of children and young adult fantasy (both for personal interest and for my career of choice), The Inheritance Cycle may be the worst thing to happen to literature (barring Twilight) in a long time. The story is a basic rehash of everything that a 14 year old boy thought was interesting, stuffed into one story.

It may be enjoyable, and I have nothing against people who enjoy it (I read mass market Star Trek and Star Wars novels from the early 90s, who am I to begrudge anyone anything?) but I would stop before calling it quality.

I have to agree with you about Inheritance. No offense to Paolini, he's a great guy. I happen to know him actually. Not a bad writer either. But Inheritance is basically a freakish amalgam of every dragon related fantasy story written in the past century. Seriously...it's kind of "meh." It's like a Twilight aimed at preteen boys instead of girls...

In Watchmen, my sympathies always lied pretty much exclusively with Rorschach. Ozymandias was awful.

Inkfinger
02-14-09, 08:55 PM
I have to agree with you about Inheritance. No offense to Paolini, he's a great guy. I happen to know him actually. Not a bad writer either. But Inheritance is basically a freakish amalgam of every dragon related fantasy story written in the past century. Seriously...it's kind of "meh." It's like a Twilight aimed at preteen boys instead of girls...

In Watchmen, my sympathies always lied pretty much exclusively with Rorschach. Ozymandias was awful.

He's also got bits of LOTR and Star Wars shoved in. >>

And ah, yes, Ozymandias is quite magnificently awful. But Rorschach is too extreme for me to be entirely sympathetic in a realistic sense (good character, would hate to run into him in real life type of deal), and Dr. Manhattan just...just. He's a cool character, but I absolutely love to hate him.

I think the sub-group that I can like without loathing are both incarnations of Nite Owl, and (oddly enough) Silk Spectre. Nite Owl I's death scene had me in tears. Literally.

(Trufax: my online handle for years now has been OzymandiusJones [sic] for the same reasons that Ozymandias's was Ozymandias [or so I think; futility of works type of deal, not his other reasons], and I only just read Watchmen last summer...)

The Mathemagician
02-14-09, 09:08 PM
Rorschach is extreme, but given everything he went through...it's understandable. And honestly, living in such an awful world as they do and having full knowledge of it? Plus that one story...? O_O I love his diaries too.

Gah, your spoiler is SO true. (Don't open it people who haven't read the book!!!) Me too though. Most depressing thing ever. Seriously.

That's funny about your handle though. *in deep voice* "My name is Ozymandius, King of Kings. Look on my works ye mighty...and despair."

I'll always remember that as a quote form researching one of the Technologies in Civilization IV, lol.

Ashiakin
02-14-09, 09:57 PM
Dunno what you're talking about either Ashiakin. How did Ender not do the right thing in the end? He was tricked into killing the buggers, didn't know what was actually going on. Didn't know it was real soldiers. Then, later, when he finds out, he revives the species based from one egg. Seems perfectly moral to me. Well, in "Ender's Shadow" anyway he was fine.

That's not what I was referring to, exactly.

In an interview, Card contextualized Ender's inadvertent genocide as having achieved "the least possible amount of violence" and being a good and moral act. Regardless of how Ender comes to feel, Card's opinions about Ender's actions (even though Ender did not know what he was doing) are pretty scary.

Inheritance is not very good at all, though. I tried to read the first book and quit halfway through it. And I hardly ever give up on a book I don't like. I mean, it's fine that he was 19 when he wrote it. But I've known people that age and younger that could have done a lot better.

Watchmen and Sandman are still the only comics I have read that clicked as being epic and worth re-reading.

I'm also sort of an elitist when it comes to comics. Have you tried Y: The Last Man? It's one of my favorites. I'm reading Transmetropolitan right now and I really enjoy it, too.

The Mathemagician
02-14-09, 10:11 PM
Oh, I see Ashiakin. Hrrrm. That's slightly creepy, yeah. Hmph.

Never read ever of those comics. Years ago I used to like those Naruto-type manga books, but I grew out of it when I was about 10. I like the medium fine, and I like certain ones well enough, but in general...they're not so good. Occasionally I find some really good ones though. Watchmen, of course, comes to mind. Persepolis was pretty good, read that a while back. I'll have to check out the ones you mentioned.

Inkfinger
02-14-09, 10:37 PM
I'm also sort of an elitist when it comes to comics. Have you tried Y: The Last Man? It's one of my favorites. I'm reading Transmetropolitan right now and I really enjoy it, too.

I have not yet. My problem stems not so much from being an elitist (though I accept the title readily as there are many things I will not touch with a ten foot pole) as having limited time/resources.

Watchmen could be collected into one book; Sandman into ten - if I look at (for example) Batman or X-Men, there are so many reboots, so many years of backstory and so many continuities that my brain just goes "....wut" and refuses to work on a good day, or "Screw this, I am not putting so much work or money into finding all of this," on a bad day, so I haven't even started with the major comic figures since my brain would pester me about the stuff I knew was out there but hadn't read.

(That being said, I am so reading the Neil Gaiman written Batman epilogue that started yesterday; he's posted some of the inks on his blog and they are so pretty.)

The fact that Y: The Last Man looks as if it's ended its run means I'll be more likely to pick it up; the art looks interesting and the storyline promising. Transmetropolitan is...less attractive for some unknown reason, though I've always loved Spider Jerusalem's character design!

Someone recommended Fables to me after I tore through Sandman, but after reading the first issue...it just didn't strike me, for whatever reason. I may have to try the next issue, though, and find out how it continues. I've also had someone else tell me I had to read Hellboy - haven't had a chance to do that yet either.